Video: HCAN instructing people how to disrupt meetings

posted at 8:48 am on September 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

This will not shock too many people who have followed the antics of counter-demonstrators at Congressional town-hall meetings. It’s the same strategy employed at the Tucson tea-party meeting, without the thrown elbows; maybe they’re just implied. In this video taken just before a town-hall meeting held yesterday by single-payer advocate Rep. Jan Schakowsy (D-IL), a Health Care for America Now (HCAN) organizer instructs his troops on how to disrupt and shout down others so that they “take their cookies and go to bed” (via HA reader Joel P):

In a way, this is a microcosm of the debate over health care.  The opponents of ObamaCare want to read through the bill and hold elected officials accountable for its contents.  Advocates just want to shout mindless slogans in the hope that everyone will give up and go home.  Hey, how’s that working out for you so far?

That also applies to Barack Obama and the leadership in Congress.  After dropping a thousand-page bill in the House, Obama wanted it passed within days instead of having Representatives and Senators read the bill and debate its wisdom, supposedly because an emergency made actual debate impossible.  The emergency?  Congress couldn’t wait to leave the Beltway and meet their constituents (ha!) and Obama was hiding the real deficit numbers that showed his administration screwed up their projections in February.

And who exactly is HCAN?

Where is the money coming from and why is it going to this campaign that does not actually have a specific call to action? The official message from on high is that HCAN is grassroots. Yup $40 million bucks, top down pre-determined pre-compromised message by K-Steet establishment. Nicely done professional Ads. Paid staffers sent out on-message from central office. But we are told its grassroots. So says Ezra Klein. So says David Sirota (who really should know better). Well HCAN is many things. It is a lot of money beng spent with our message that the for-profit private insurance companies are the problem. But grassroots it obviously is not! Sheesh. These are grassroots!

What it really is, is about building mailing lists and fundraising and get-out-the vote for November. It is a $40 million investment in party organizing. Think of it as the Democratic messaging counterpart to the National Rifle Association. In addition, the campaign is going to take advantage of MoveOn.org’s massive data files to reach out to like-minded supporters and officials promised to work in Democratic and Republican districts alike. “We’ll have an organizer in the district of every Blue Dog Democrat,” said HCAN campaign manager Richard Kirsch of the conservative Democrats.

And what right-wing fanatic wrote that?  Actually, it’s one of the bloggers for Physicians for a National Health Plan, an organization that wants the US to move to a single-payer system.  They resent HCAN for not being ideologically pure enough.

Will Nancy Pelosi call HCAN and its tactics “un-American,” too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Let’s think about what he said. “It’s your meeting so don’t let them take you meeting away.” Whose meeting is it? When someone is outside coaching you how to perform it is their meeting and you are their puppet. When the news comes out, and you are in it, that idiot outside is telling people see how easy it is to make dumb uninformed people do what you want on que.

MSGTAS on September 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Health care now! Health care now! is so boring.

I think they should use awww – toot toot, get up offa that loot.

Buy Danish on September 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM

And what right-wing fanatic wrote that? Actually, it’s one of the bloggers for Physicians for a National Health Plan, an organization that wants the US to move to a single-payer system. They resent HCAN for not being ideologically pure enough.

Which begs the question.

How, in the 232 year history of this conservative nation, did we come to have so many far left ideologues?

Speakup on September 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but after watching that video I felt an overwhelming desire to ram my fist through the back of that fascist twirp’s head.

RadClown on September 1, 2009 at 10:30 AM

The reality is that the push-back is too obviously all for show, now.

The Townhall story is over.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Criminals don’t discuss, they use force.

We have a criminal government.

notagool on September 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Let’s be clear, most Americans are open to seeing that the 14 million people who have no option for coverage, get proper coverage. We want tort reform and changes made to the limitations of pre-existing conditions. Progressive liberals have intentionally divided themselves from the rest of America by demanding perks for trial lawyers, unions and illegals. THESE PROGRESSIVE LIBERALS WANT TO DIVIDE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE BY PARTY. Conservative Democrats, Independents and Republicans are standing together on the issue of reform, NOT REINVENTION.

The ill-intent of progressive liberals to use labels to divide America along party lines is only going to widen the divide between average Americans and these progressive liberals. This isn’t about party anymore, it’s about the over-reaching power of government which progressives adore.

pjean on September 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Can’t think of how much more transparent I could be. I think you probably really mean, Change my mind. :)

No I don’t. I mean exactly what I wrote.

I know people with whom I disagree about issues, and we talk about these issues amicably and agree to disagree. But to do this, we acknowledge one another’s value as independent human beings. We address one another by name when we talk, even though that takes time and effort. And we don’t attempt to manipulate one another’s emotions, or project our fears or biases onto one another, or attempt to drown out those with whom we disagree by dominating the conversation with our own voices.

Instead, we ask questions when we don’t understand, rather than making accusations. We admit when we don’t know something. We try to be supportive of one another’s independent thinking and provide one another with facts that support our positions. We attempt to demonstrate honesty, reliability, mutual respect, good will and good humor in our interactions with one another.

Try it. It’s quite remarkable.

Loxodonta on September 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Just another alarm bell ringing… Keep up the good work, HCAN; you’re backing up the gasoline truck to the forest fire!! WELL DONE!!

Khun Joe on September 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I especially like “it is your meeting!” Obviously those who object to ObamaCare are simply doltish interlopers.

R Square on September 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I liked my teaparty, but it was really pretty friendly and definitely good-natured protesting. That’s my speed. All I meant was that I’m not the type to show up where there’s obvious potential for violence.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009

Lady, common sense tells most right thinking people to avoid the type of social settings where there’s an obvious potential for violence. The fact that so many law abiding elderly people are attending these potentially explosive political events is the major reason that the left thinking liars are angry and scared sh!tless. I’m not in the ranks of the elderly, but I am in the ranks of those whose hearts beat with pride to see so many of our ol’ folks stand up and be counted.

I commend you for attending your friendly, good-natured tea party, but at what point in our current social upheaval would you be willing to step outside your comfort zone? What kind of scandalous wealth redistributing power grabs by our government would motivate you to follow the lead of our brave elderly people who refuse to be intimidated.

Doh! I forgot! You’re all for the trojan horse “public option” Well, lady, not to be hateful, but I hope you fail!

Gang-of-One on September 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Hey AnninCa

You say you are all for the Public Option whereby someone else pays the medical bills for those that can’t. Well, I have a $3500 medical bill from a hospital (took an airplane flight and all I got was a lousy blood clot) and if you could send me the $3500, it would be a big help (since I am also currently unemployed thanx to the Dems). Write back and I’ll send you my email so we can make arrangements where to send your check…I mean, since you sure this is the only way to go, why wait until ObamaCare passes, YOU can start now!!!
If the $3500 chunk is too much, I’m sure the hospital can work out a payment plan with you……..

colonelkurtz on September 1, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Gang-of-One on September 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Standing Ovation! +1

TXMomof3 on September 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I went to the event and if all you say about is that HCAN was trying astro turf, you really miss the story. It was intense and exhilirating. Folks from both sides gathered and they engaged in nearly two hours of intense debate. We were near fights on several occasions but in the end, it was democracy in action. Everyone spoke freely and debates started spontaneously. It was the coolest political event I have ever been to. Here’s the full run down.

mike volpe on September 1, 2009 at 11:19 AM

TXMomof3

Well, thank you, most gracious.

Gang-of-One on September 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM

It is both surprising and concerning that Liberals have such a good understanding of the power of strong and communicative networks and that they are able to so successfully leverage their networks to mobilize against traditional America.

Why do these people so hate traditional America? What happened to them as children that makes them feel so terrible about living in a country that was created on such traditional ideals? It isn’t like they can look at another country in history and claim that we haven’t done an overall better job of creating greatness.

The irony, of course, is that once they get what they are after they will no longer want it. Just ask the people of former communist regimes if they want to go back to the bread lines of “good the old days”. You’d be hard pressed to find many takers.

watson007 on September 1, 2009 at 11:37 AM

BTW: from what the Congressman said last night, there are about 400+ additional pages that were added to the bill at the last minute; pages no one but the Democrat leadership has seen!

So it’s even worse than we know.

michaelo on September 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Actually this is a really good idea if it is propaganda. I think a crisp brown shirt with a black armband with an Obama circle and shiny boots would be a kick at rallies. We are getting into the area of massive political Theater and I can’t think of anything more depressing to the Liberals than to see Obama stormtroopers correctly portrayed.

GunRunner on September 1, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Prime example of Pelosi and Bambi’s astroturfing.

la.rt.wngr on September 1, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Nah*, on this issue, I remain convinced reform is needed. Now, I’m not going to be ballistic when it fails. Win some, lose some.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Her passivity could be from getting all “wee-weed up” at one of CA’s many “Farmacy” stores. Probably got a MaryJane script from her doctor and got herself “some treatment” for PTSD brought on by all the violent YouTube videos of townhall meetings. Now her biggest problem is finding a way to increase her food stamps to cover those costly “munchies”. I hear Whole Foods is having a dollar sale on all their tastiest junk food… but then she’ll have to face all those Glenn Beck protesters… nevermind…

NightmareOnKStreet on September 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM

America should never have sent one soldier overseas until every collectivist in this country was dead.

They were relatively quiet for a couple of years while World War 2 was going on. But we’ve never been one big happy family.

logis on September 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM

colonelkurtz on September 1, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Love it.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Just think we are still paying millions to all these Acorn type orgs.

LSUMama on September 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

These guys drank way too much Kool Aid…..

VIDEO
Lady in Line: Ahhhh, what do you want us to do?
TrashCAN Worker: Just stand up and hold your sign up!
Lady in Line: Ahhhh, OK
TrashCAN Worker: It’s your meeting take back your meeting, ha ha ha ha da da doh doh I’m a Dip S&!t

Morons

BigMike252 on September 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Maybe someone already noted this, but the woman asking him about his purpose leaves the line and apparently walks away.

‘Instruction Boy’ needs some Harsh Interrogation Techniques applied to him.

Janos Hunyadi on September 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

At the risk of sounding boorish, when one of those astro-turfers starts in with their “Health Care Now” rants,
our side should block them in turn with, “Obama Care – No!”

DuffBeer on September 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Thank God my fears of a hoax were wrong. Gateway Pundit has another video of the same event.

Nelsa on September 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM

The shithead probably works personally for Schakowsky. She is on par with Waxman, Durbin, and Sheila J. A real commie of the extreme type who would silence all opposition to whatever extent she could regardless of law or ethic.

cjk on September 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Mindless jackasses on the march, more Hope and Change.

Bwaaaaaaahahahahahaha….true dat! +1

CEA_Agent on September 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Health care now! Health care now! is so boring.

I think they should use awww – toot toot, get up offa that loot.

Buy Danish on September 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Well, spit my coffee out! Ha ha!

But, you know that they really needed to “update” their chanting slogans in order to get fully into the groove.

Fact is, there is just no way to make a “chantable” slogan out of, “Standing Together for Health Insurance Reform!”

About the best you can do with that is:

Standing Together for Health Insurance Reform,
A Tongue-Twister Slogan That’s Out of the Norm
!”

So, I think you are on to something — you gave them a good basis with your suggestion. They just need a little help pulling it all together.

For example, they could upgrade it this way, to correspond with the general policies of The One:

Awww – Toot toot
Redistribute the loot
!”

And in the background, one would necessarily hear the obligatory and intermittent chorus of:

Awww – Dong Dong
Bush did everything wrong
!”

For this particular debate, they could have trotted out an upgrade along these lines:

Awww – Torm torm
Health Insurance Reform
!”

Prior to the past day or so, they could have easily added:

Awww – Wee Wee
Public Option For ME
!”

But, that seems to have been officially set aside now, so the latest would have to be something like:

Awww – Cous-cous
Public Option Cut Loose
!”

They just all need to keep in mind the (upgraded) admonition of Boxer:

Ah, that is different. If Comrade Barry says it, it must be right..”

Trochilus on September 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM