Obama’s next effort: a Children’s Crusade?

posted at 2:21 pm on September 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Drudge featured the breaking news story that Barack Obama would hold a nationwide speech for elementary-school children a week from today, touching off a flurry of e-mails wondering what Obama had in mind.  Will this be just an opportunity to learn more about government?  Or will Obama try pitching ObamaCare to the Sesame Street set?

The teaching guidelines don’t really give much of a hint:

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009

One does leap out: “Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President.” Is that an elective or a prerequisite for mathematics?

Presidents often visit classrooms and talk to students. It usually makes a good photo op to put the President with children who obviously enjoy the attention, and there’s no harm in it. It can be a good teaching moment for civics instruction, which this nation does poorly at delivering. The timing can even be explained as the first week in which all children will return to school, and since for many of them it will be their first day, it won’t interrupt their normal curriculum.

Still, the nationwide speech aspect of this is unprecedented, and a little odd. Coming as it does on the heels of a disastrous summer, it’s not surprising that people are suspicious, including the boss:

Will Obama be able to resist issuing a call to youth arms to marshal help in passing his legislative agenda?

The thing is: He won’t need to make the call explicit.

Obama zealot teachers like this one across the country will do all the extra-curricular bullying and haranguing for him.

They probably don’t need Obama pushing them to do that, anyway, although it will certainly give them more energy to do so.

If Obama sticks to education and personal achievement in his speech, there should be no controversy. Parents should prepare their children for the difference between political speeches and actual facts in any case, which will be a most useful education regardless of what Obama has to say in his speech.

Update: One of the first bloggers I ever read regularly, Venomous Kate from Electric Venom, says she’s sending her child to school instead of using a protest absence — and the coolness factor is one of the reasons. Be sure to read her take, and catch the implied lesson of parental involvement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

DO NOT FORGET MAO TSE TUNG AND THE LITTLE RED BOOKS.

voxpopuli on September 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I think it is in our best interest NOT to complain about this too much until AFTER the event.

Why? When the enemy is about to step on a land mine the last thing you want to do is distract them from their eventual demise.

Dear Barry, freakin’ awesome idea dude. Surely a plan of such tactical brilliance will get your poll numbers out of the mire.

Don’t let any of us HotAirther dissuade you. :)

Geochelone on September 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM

told hubby, first thing he said is keep the kids home

voxpopuli, lol! yeah and ChurchofEngland little red books too…

ginaswo on September 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM

The system is clearly failing the students

highhopes, that’s a pretty sweeping statement. Sure, there are areas where schools are failing. But that is by no means the common experience. In fact, a high percentage of parents are happy with their neighborhood schools, and only bemoan the state of “public education” in general. (In other words: “my kid’s school is fine; every other school is failing”.)

A big difference between teaching and some other “government” jobs is that most teachers go into the profession for philanthropic reasons. We don’t want the “easy way out”, we want to make a difference.

I have been teaching for seventeen years and am still passionate about my career and adore my students. Because of that, I hate that the union protects subpar and even damaging teachers. Most good teachers agree with me. We need to lift our profession by weeding out those who ONLY have a job because the union protects them. Period. If the union can’t get behind that…well, don’t get me started.

But “the system is clearly failing the students”? Yes, in pockets, and yes, in some cases. Those generalizations are far, far from uninversally true, though…with all due respect.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM

And old poem…but seems appropriate nonetheless:

“That is the greatest thing about him,
That he is not only our leader and a great hero,
But himself, upright, firm and simple,
In him the roots of our world.
And his soul touches the stars
And yet he remains a man like you and me.”

Baldur von Schirach would be so impressed.

coldwarrior on September 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Heads high, ranks closed
Loyal Democrat children march with silent solid steps
Supporters accosted by the red front reaction
March in spirit with us in our ranks

The rallies ruled by ACORN
The rallies free for the SEIC
Millions, full of hope, look up to Barack Obama
The day breaks for Hope and Change

For the last time the call will now be blown
For the struggle now we all stand ready
Soon we will control everyone on every street
Opposition will last only a short time longer.

Heads high, ranks closed
Loyal Democrat children march with silent solid steps
Supporters accosted by the red front reaction
March in spirit with us in our ranks

Apologies to Horst Wessel.

MB4 on September 1, 2009 at 9:42 PM

This has Bill Ayers’ fingerprints all over it.

thomasaur on September 1, 2009 at 2:49 PM

yep, important point

funky chicken on September 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Just like that Marine told that congress-critTer-STAY AWAY FROM MY CHILDREN!

Dave R. on September 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Historically the Children’s Crusade ended in starvation, debilitating hardship or slavery for many of the participants.

Certainly the enormous debt Zero has dumped upon the younger generation portends a similar outcome. A Pied Piper of sHamelin leading the yoots to a similar demise.

viking01 on September 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM

However, one of the reasons for the lack of truly good teachers is that very few people who would be good teachers go into teaching. I know there are many reasons why this is so and I would love to see more conservatives (as long as they would be good teachers) go into teaching. Regardless, I am just trying to say that that it is not a lost cause and that there is some good teaching in our public schools.

dawgyear on September 1, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I got that, sorry if it didn’t come through.

I looked into teaching as a career when I retired from the military after 20 years. I know I’d be a good teacher because of my experience in training and the fact there are five generations of teachers in my family. Turns out, the system is set up to discriminate against people like me in coming in to teach because I wasn’t a drone from right out of college. Despite a double bachelor’s degree in history and English and a Masters in Business from a very good university, I am unqualified to be in a classroom because I haven’t been a dues-paying member of the NEA since I left college.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I was told there would be no baking in this exam
I like AnnA’s method of going prepare with documentation and questions
cupcakes are for birthday parties, questions and documentation are for protecting the kids from Obamaganda

ginaswo on September 1, 2009 at 9:46 PM

“Tis education that forms the common mind; As the twig is bent the tree is inclined.” Communist know this and that is why we have Obama as president!!Liberals destroyed the public schools with federal mandated busing which assured the dumbing down of every school in the US. All the effort has produced little results and the cry for affirmative action is louder than ever.If parents want their kids educated they should home school them. Under no circumstance let them listen to the Liar-in-chief!

Marco on September 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM

viking

well since the Seniors, the traditional Dem base are fleeing him in droves maybe this is his backup plan

ginaswo on September 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I’m not a constitutional scholar, but somehow I would think that this would violate the Constitution (You know, that flawed document)

This type of crap is really scary. Pretty soon the school uniforms will all be replaced with shirts bearing the recylced Ayers weather underground logo (The obama logo in case you missed that)

I guess the next thing will be an “inform on your parents and family” office next to the cafeterias in the schools.

bullseye on September 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Grace, I gotta disagree with you. My universal statement is more true than not.

I know both HS teachers and college professors. The fact of the matter is that we are graduating barely functional illiterates. Freshman year at a college has essentially become a time for remedial HS courses. My college professor friends are frustrated with what they get and my HS teacher friends are frustrated with what they have to pass on to graduation. That is a failure of the system.

Of course, not every student graduates from HS as a functional illiterate and not every school system is equal. But! As a general rule, the next generation is dumber than the last.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM

I am only teaching online now. I had done face to face classes up to 400 level grad classes. The majority of the students aspire to mediocrity.

The final straw for me was when I was accused of prejudice for giving an african national student a C for a course for plagarizing TWICE. I exited by saying to the dean “Yo Babe, just how am I prejudiced? I gave 2 A’s in the course, one to an african american male and the other to a Russian Female. The 8 white males got a B or lower? ”

Anyway, most college campii are minature Red Squares.

bullseye on September 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM

We are taking the grand kids to The Cradle Of TEXAS Liberty,THE ALAMO and teach them about real Hero’s that fought for Liberty /Freedom from a previous tyrant.
CHUCK boma Remember the ALAMO !!!!
Col.John Wm. Reed on September 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Enjoy San Antonio Col. Reed…I miss it.

yoda on September 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM

On Clarkson’s dedication to education from Wiki: Upon high school graduation, Clarkson was offered full scholarships to The University of Texas at Austin, University of North Texas, and Berklee, but decided against college because she had “already written so much music and wanted to try it on her own,” and she figured “you’re never too old to go to college.”[8]

And Lebron James did not even want to bother finishing highschool.

Perfect role models for the topic of education.

FerfeLaBat on September 1, 2009 at 4:47 PM

At least Johnny Depp had the decency to laugh and refuse when he was asked to participate in a “stay in school” campaign. He actually dropped out of high school, I think.

So yeah, this definitely has Bill Ayers all over it…

funky chicken on September 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Highopes – are you familiar with the concepts of the Frankfort school? Those concepts were imported into the US in the late 1800′s early 1900′s. Understanding that helps me make sense of a lot of what we see in “Education” today.

Someone can correct this a bit but basically the Germans were ticked that they lost a battle to Napoleon. Instead of blaming the Generals, they blamed the enlisted men for not following orders. They came up with a system of education that would turn out people who vould follow dere orders vitout qvestion. It also provides for a dumbing down of the recipients of the ‘education’ so that they aren’t as apt to start thinking for themselves. Kind of like saltpeter for the brain.

bullseye on September 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Children’s Crusade

30,000 French children were sold into Muslim slavery the last time this was tried. Let me know how it works out.

faraway on September 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM

In defense of public schools – I went to an excellent one: so good, in fact, that I AP-tested out of five courses in college and regularly got questions from my professors as to where I learned to write papers like that. My HS teachers were amazing, as a rule – they had high expectations and a genuine interest in the students’ success. That said, my family moved while my sister was still in high school and she got a taste of how the other half lives…. it seems our childhood experience was not the norm.

I know quite a few people who went to private school as well, and I can’t say their education was better than most of my publicly-schooled friends (I’m 25, graduated college three years ago), so unless you’ve got the money for a REALLY good private school, the sole fact that it IS private does not necessarily make it better, nor does it save your children from indoctrination: some states require commmon aspects of the liberal agenda – Global Warming alarmism, for instance – even in private schools.

I agree with many of the teachers on here – the solution is not to yank all of our children out of public schools (though obviously, you need to do whatever you think is best for your kids), but to ENGAGE more in the public schools. You’d be AMAZED how much a public school board will respond to parental pressure, much as Congress is now responding to taxpayer pressure. Consider joining the school board yourself (like Sarah Palin), or even becoming a teacher. By removing yourself from the system, you abandon generations of children to the mercy of a destructive ideology, and YOUR children to the mercy of that dysfunctional system’s inevitable product.

I fully support every parent in choosing whatever education they deem most effective – be it public, private, or home-schooling. I just don’t want to see everyone give up on the private schools when there’s so much we CAN do to improve them.

Animator Girl on September 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

If we had any lingering doubts about homeschooling, this just erased them all!

varnson on September 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

*whoops, I mean don’t give up on the public schools!

Animator Girl on September 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM

It is days like these when I thank god for the day my husband and I decided to put our kids in private school. We’ve given up a lot to do it, but I don’t live in fear of the day my son turns me in to the government for speaking out against this idiot over dinner. Yeah. Those are the things in my head these days. Sad.

BrideOfRove on September 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM

“He’s not that stupid.”….

Oh yes he is !!

CEA_Agent on September 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I don’t want my grandkids to hear anything that this Anti-American has to say on Sept. 8.

mobydutch on September 1, 2009 at 10:20 PM

ginaswo on September 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Agreed. Zero the Shapeshifter seems poised to exploit whatever segment of the population stands most vulnerable to his propaganda. Particularly those whom haven’t been out of the nest long enough to realize or encounter the tests and costs of the real world.

Hopefully our nation’s young-uns will notice how Zero has compromised their future employability / future solvency and will help dump Zero’s enablers in Congress next year. My generation helped dump Peanut Carter’s enablers through strong support of Ronaldus Magnus. Maybe another awakening towards discarding Liberalism as in 1984 will occur. No doubt their perfessers (sic) are equally steamed at Zero albeit for Zero not being Lefty / Marxist enough.

viking01 on September 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM

If you choose to put your kids in a quaker school as a private school, check it out carefully beforehand

1. I went to an open house during th elections and the classroom was plastered with Obama and Hillary signs. I called the teacher over and said “um, isn’t there some guy named jack or john or something running?” His response was “Well, there isn’t any race on the republican side so we are just talking about the democratic race and their issues” to which I replied “So, you have the hard core marxist and the hard core socialist but you are ignoring the liberal” Funny thing, my kids history project got docked 20 points for using the wrong type of scotch tape.

2. I had questions about the english teacher’s grades. My wife and I were given an essay by another student and told my son should write like that . The contents of the essay “I came to a new school, I met a friend, we were bullied, he committed suicide, I got a gun and shot a bunch of students and bashed their heads in and died happily in the electric chair” . When I questioned the headmaster about this I got a letter saying that if I wanted our son to remain in the school I was not to question the way the teachers run the classroom. The same teacher also encouraged topics such as “my first abortion”. Needless to say, we yanked him out.

3. Our son was the victim of some serious harrassment. He has been studying the martial arts for over a decade but you aren’t allowed to fight back. The teachers did nothing.

4. We went to check out one of the quaker high schools. The tour guide mentioned that there was a restriction on the studnet art – no war. I asked if they could do a “god bless the troops’. Oh no, that was not acceptable. A couple of minutes later I came across some student art of Karl Marx. I asked loudly how they could encourage drawings of a guy whose philosophy led to the deaths of 7 million of my Ukranian relatives and a million or so of my polish relatives

After that we were in the final wrapup and the social studies teacher was talking about how they discuss if the american pilots were guilty of war crimes. I turned to our son and said “You mother’s father enlisted in the Navy to fight against the Nazis who thought it was OK to throw people into ovens, My Mother’s two brothers were missing in the PAcific for a month while fighting the people who thought it was ok to throw babies up in the air and catch them on bayonettes. My father enlisted in the coast guard and fought against the nazis. Anyone who says the were war criminals can go to hell”. Well, all the birkenstock wearing idiots were staring at me. My wife piped up with “Let’s get out of here, we’re not sending our kid to this nuthouse.”

bullseye on September 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I just wanted to say that this was not mentioned at the open house tonight at my daughter’s school, and nobody knew anything about it. I was not given a definative answer as to whether the principal would look into this – but my father-in-law used to work with one of the admin ladies, and I’m going to call her tomorrow.

I’m making back-up plans for next Tuesday – we might just drive the 30 miles to Gettysburg for a history lesson, especially if the weather stays like this!

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM

if you go, you have to check out the place where Joshua Chamberlain fought. What a guy. Lose two thirds of your regiment so you fix bayonettes and charge…… and win…

bullseye on September 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM

With Obama everything is always about him. The first day of school is usually so busy for teachers, lets add this too. It’s a disruption. And kids are excited enough about the first day of school. They don’t need this. They got along great for decades without the President welcoming them back to school.

And while some areas of the country started already last week and some will start the day after Labor Day, many around here won’t start until Wednesday. My suburb doesn’t start until Thursday. So do these kids get a rerun? Or are they spared this nonsense?

Elisa on September 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM

In KY, the schools get paid for each student in attendance per day (not an average for the year). If enough parents threaten to keep kids home, they may back off. Money talks real loud around here.

conservativemama on September 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Kewl. Thanks for the info.

Will tell my kids to:

*Not say how many ppl in my house;
*We voted for McCain/Palin; and we like Sarah A LOT!
*Mommy’s sick and Daddy works at hospital don’t want Mommy to get seizures b/c of Obama’s orders not to tend to my care
*Obama does not need help from us kids b/c he is the president.
*Last year on field day, we knew who won, who got 2nd and 3rd place even though we were told everybody won. They kept score!!! (remember what Rush said on CPAC?)

I swear I see this crap at the Open House, my husband will see me and fear my reaction! If the school wants to turn an educational opportunity into a mini-town hall kiddo can be prepped in a couple of days. He detests Obama anyways. And he doesn’t know everything we know.

ProudPalinFan on September 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Can I volunteer to stay and watch?/part sarc part true

ProudPalinFan on September 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Oh come on, this is done in other countries. Stop being so paranoid…

Doorgunner on September 1, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Crockoganda is never too young. Hey, it works in the other banana republics, why not here? But,what about the seperation of church of healthcare and the state?

VOTE THE DEMS OUT ON THEIR ASSES IN 2010.

dthorny on September 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Will any of the children be allowed to ask….mmm, let’s see…?

Here’s a top 10.

1. Are you going to unplug my Grandma?

2. Why are you a Marxist?

3. How comes you want to destroy our country?

4. What does “thug” mean?

5. Who is Gorge Soros?

6. Are you scared of your wife?

7. What is an Amazon?

8. Will you please pay for my house?

9. Are you giving away free candy now that my Grankidz will pay for?
10. Did Brian Williams really want to kiss you goodnight?

Anyone else?

PappyD61 on September 1, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Leave my kids alone Obama.

Off topic but relevant to Mr. 57 states and his failed policies:

Drudge Headline:

IT’S OFFICIAL: NO PUBLIC OPTION FROM OBAMA

Those cracking sounds you hear are liberals heads exploding!!!

Baxter Greene on September 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM

that is a great idea, and another commenter is thinking of the Alamo for a daytrip with the kids

ginaswo on September 2, 2009 at 12:02 AM

OT: In drudge he has a link that is

Honolulu seeking to ban ‘BO’ on buses…

I wish we could ban “BO” from Washington.

WoosterOh on September 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Oh, and I’ve heard it before, time and time again,
you say it’s the last time but it never ends….
How much more can this poor heart take,
you bend it until it breaks…..

Cornhusker on September 2, 2009 at 12:17 AM

LOL

My kids won’t be in school on the 8th. Long planned family vacation! In fact, we will be on a plane while Oz-bama is speaking. I wonder if any of their teachers will turn us in to the White House.

rockmom on September 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM

ginaswo on September 2, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Good idea. Maybe I’ll take my kids to Independence Hall again on the way home from the airport!

rockmom on September 2, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I wonder what T-shirt my kid should wear on the 8th?

faraway on September 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I just did a google image search for pictures of Hitler with children. Those pictures really creeped me out! I’m just saying.

MCGIRV on September 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Obama should just close down all the networks except MS-NBC, and then air a day-long Obama show every week, a la Chavez.

Oh, right, he and his “diversity czar” are already working on this plan.

Daggett on September 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Look who else looooooves kids

macncheez on September 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM

My kids are sure as hell going to be sick that day.

I read this and didn’t just throw up in my mouth, I ran to the bathroom and threw up all over the floor. This man is anorexia inducing.

Fed45 on September 2, 2009 at 2:38 AM

On second thought…my kids’ teachers are on strike. For the love of God I hope they don’t settle before the 8th.

Fed45 on September 2, 2009 at 2:39 AM

but to ENGAGE more in the public schools.

And therein lies the rub, Animator Girl.

I know that conservatives vilify public schools to make an overreaching point that all government programs fail. (I say this as a conservative). And I know conservatives hate to hear the “excuse” that parents make a great deal of difference. But that is, to an extent, true–and no reasonable person can say otherwise.

In areas where parents have abdicated responsibility to and for their children, five year olds come to school having never held a book, never visited a playground. They don’t know how to care for themselves in the most basic way. The first few months of school MUST be spent simply loving these children, as every adult in their lives has failed them. Now, if you can take these little ones and have them reading by December, you’re a miracle worker. If you can put their little desks in rows and insist on academia from day one–when they’re rarely cared for, rarely hugged, don’t know what consistency looks like–well, good luck. They will love you, and they will want to spend those first few months just being loved back and trying to figure out WHEN–not if–you will abandon them like all other adults do.

Then there’s my district, where children come with two years of preschool under their belt and more parental care than they know what to do with. They know their alphabet when they walk through the door. They ARE reading by year’s end, but then, the teacher is free to teach from day one. The children already have engaged, caring adults in their lives; they don’t need to be raised by school personnel.

Conservatives (like me) should acknowledge that districts like mine will turn the “accountability” curve upward, and districts like the one described above will turn it “downward”. We cannot use our students’ socioeconomic status to excuse low achievement. But we must acknowledge where our students come from, and what we’re able to do as a result. We must demand their best, but realize that their best might need to be adjusted for life circumstances, at least when they’re young and completely dependent upon parents who take no responsibility and expect the school to teach AND parent their children.

Can conservatives at least acknowledge that? It would seem not. It would seem that it’s all the schools’ fault; that teachers are all leftist shills, therefore our students perform poorly across the board. While I’m generally suspect of large government programs, I DO think the schools run better than most, because as I said upthread most teachers go into education for philanthropic reasons. Most parents can depend upon most teachers to at least try to do the right thing by their child.

(And hey, Ann Coulter, if you’re reading…love your books and think you’re awesome. :) Sorry to pull out the teacher/leftist victim/martyr card. I invite you to visit my school and speak to my students. Gotta tone it down a notch perhaps, but just a notch. I promise not to wring my hands and say, “See! See how great we are!” every three seconds…and I promise to put my “Teacher of the year” badge away. LOL)

Grace_is_sufficient on September 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM

Oh, right, he and his “diversity czar” are already working on this plan.

Daggett on September 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Indeed….for a plan called “localism” Chairman Soeotoro sure does want a national narrative controlled by him.

sven10077 on September 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Grace_is_inefficient on September 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM

Padon me, but I’d agree with you EXCEPT your exhortations that you are faced with teaching challenges like Helen Keller and it is a war to teach little Timmy to breathe let alone add and read while charming is likely not the norm. What I do know is the schools refuse to teach rote mechanic math to kids, are too wrapped up in teaching the little darlings a foreign language even before they have mastered English, and are not teaching any scientific method I recognize. These same schools have little trouble indoctrinating the same underserviced child with Gaia worshipping crap on water conservation, doomed polar bears, or other Granola crap without having given them the critical analysis skills to arrive at their own conclusions.

No sale, and “keep the change”, we spend more per student for less performance than ever before.

I’m tired of it.

sven10077 on September 2, 2009 at 6:28 AM

This strikes me as an opportunity for team Barry to do something our side has trouble with, and would like to make happen.

Wouldn’t it be nice if a “School is Cool” theme was taken to heart in the urban districts?

DuffBeer on September 2, 2009 at 6:43 AM

The sad thing about all this is with a large number of ADULTS telling the won to buzz off he is now going to try the kids,this is really pathetic. He might as well call central casting and order up an audience and film the tripe. My teen age neighbor girl,an arch non conformist cowgirl said that she and her friends will chatter and text,and if challenged about this she is prepared to say the man is a “COMMIE PINKO LIAR”.
Somehow I think she has picked this idea up from the ranch hands.Asked if she thought she might be sent to the counselor or something her answer was bring it on I will vote in 2010. Good woman!
We are still taking the grand kids to The Cradle Of TEXAS Liberty,THE ALAMO and teach them about real Hero’s that fought for Liberty /Freedom from a previous tyrant.
CHUCK boma Remember the ALAMO !!!!

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 2, 2009 at 7:03 AM

I wonder what T-shirt my kid should wear on the 8th?
Freedom is not free,We the people, Liberty or DEATH”,
Czars are from Russia,Leaders are from the Free.
All it takes is a good hand and a Sharpie pen,the challenge is on?
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM

There’s a short but rich liberal Democrat tradition of using six-year-olds as fodder for their propaganda campaigns.

Not sure who started it but the enviroNazis use this approach almost exclusively. Find a cartoon, from Saturday morning dreck all the way up to Wall-E, and you’ll find propaganda against businesses which suggest that the earth is under assault, guaranteed.

F*ck this jerkoff.

Jaibones on September 2, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 2, 2009 at 7:03 AM

We’ve already seen the film it’s called Triumph of the Will, in this the sequel Mendacity of the Uh our ‘brave hero’ “just wants to borrow the kids again”…

sven10077 on September 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM

We now home school as of last year but he’d be in middle school grade seven. Of course, my son would like to see the traitor’s long form birth certificate before any help is suggested and after that he’d like to see him frog marched in cuffs along with the rest of the socialist cabal.

larvcom on September 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM

First thing this a.m. I would remind you all that Obamadan
celebrated Ramadan in the White House last night. No prayer breakfast in past but this. Whats up here?

Second, to understand why he wants to address the kids is to
understand that in past 30 days he has witnessed major news events.
1. townhall meetings
2. continuing declines in the polls

What caused this? the same thing that swept him to power- the internet.

What to do? induce fear

In past fear used to scare the old people and it worked. Now because of internet the world is witnessing that the town hall meetings are mostly comprised of older folks.

What happened? the old folks lost their fear and know that there is power in the truth. Obamadan knows that. He also knows that this has caused him to take an ass-whoooping in the polls.

What to do? Obamadan and his Chicago cronies know to understand the leverage in the scales of justice one must look at the other end of the scales, hence, the kids. The dems and Acorn know that the diverse tent is shrinking in size.

How do we make it up? give a sense of power to the kids and the illegals. The latter has been in the plan for some time now. Look to see our kids brainwashed and an attempt to lower the voting age.

Undertand that the more we learn about Jaycee Dugarts captor the more we will know about Obamadan. We are being educated with the internet and this is why he is instilling fear to all that we may lose it. Its communist indoctrination.
THOSE OLD FOLKS DON’T USE FACEBOOK AND TWITTER…
KEEP THE INTERNET FREE.
PROTECT YOUR KIDS, DON’T EMPOWER THE SCHOOL BOARDS ANYMORE THAN THEY ARE
BEWARE OF ANY SITES OR BLOGS THAT WHEN A PHOTO OF OBAMADAN IS SHOWN A HALO APPEARS. THEY HAVE THEIR MATCHING ORDERS VIA THE ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS.

PROTECT YOUR KIDS…………………………..

bluegrass on September 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Can’t a weasel lawyer file an injunction to stop this?

Mangy Scot on September 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I happen to be a history teacher, and have not yet heard if I will be required to have my students watch this. If I do, I think beforehand I’ll have my students watch the video clip of little Hitler Youth students singing that “Hitler is our Lord and Savior” song, and have a little lesson on indoctrination and how to question authority . . .

Special K on September 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I wonder what T-shirt my kid should wear on the 8th?

faraway on September 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I think that one with Obama as the Joker and ‘Socialism’ or ‘Why so Socialist’ would be perfect.

Dasher on September 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Waiting for an answer from the Round Rock School Board,TEXAS.
ALLCON,Round Rock ,
It would seem prudent in light of the Internet talk of holding students home as a way to protest the obama administration’s intrusion on valuable class time, to advise parents that students may attend this talk or go to study hall.The seeming failure of this current administration to get the message clearly across to the voters is surely not a reason to go after the kids. As a History Major and a certified retired teacher in several states it is hard to ignore the undercurrent, the Chinese communist used youth as did the Leninist/Stalinist and the National Socialist Party in Germany.
To head off a problem it is well to allow parents an option,if this is a tempest over a bland talk to kids you are covered. As an overtaxed citizen I can tell you voters are very upset and angry so best head this off at the pass.
Attached below is a sample of how badly this idea is going over in some areas.

Obama’s classroom campaign: No junior lobbyist left behind

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM

More info on this at http://www.ed.gov

Not a bad time to extend labor day (Sept 7) by an extra day.

Dasher on September 2, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Could call em and ask what this PR thing has to do with his low standing with the public?
Reporters and education writers may contact the U.S. Department of Education press office by phone at (202) 401-1576
Make sure that they know the product they turn out so far is FAILING!

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM

My protest sign:

DON’T INFECT OUR KIDS WITH YOUR RADICAL SOCIAL DISEASE, MR. PRESIDENT.

RandyChandler on September 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM

More info on this at http://www.ed.gov

Not a bad time to extend labor day (Sept 7) by an extra day.

Dasher on September 2, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I WOULD AVOID THIS SITE IF I WERE YOU

bluegrass on September 2, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Beck’s speaking about this right now!

kingsjester on September 2, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Pretty disgusting… I never thought the Democrats would stoop so low… My mistake…

Khun Joe on September 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM

They own the MSM

they don’t own the internet, Beck, Rush, Fox News.

They feel they must eliminate all of the above and then they will have it all.

VOTE OUT THE CURRENT CONGRESS AND TAKE BACK AMERICA

MAKE OBAMADAN A LAME DUCK AS SOON AS YOU CAN

HE IS A DANGER TO US ALL

bluegrass on September 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Limerick, Thanks. Yikes.

balkanmom2 on September 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I just called my grandkids school principal–(Jaykub in 5th grade, and Kaylee in 1st)-I wanted to say that I would be attending class that day. He hadn’t heard anything about it. When I told him about Hot Air, he didn’t think it sounded like a “serious site” I straightened him out about that–and then I gave him the http://www.ed.gov link and he clicked on it. He was very surprised as he didn’t know anything about this…
So shoot, now he will probably tell everyone–they might have missed it, if not for me–*groan!

lovingmyUSA on September 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I emailed my child’s teacher today and asked if their school is going to broadcast that speech and what activities, if any, will be done in preparation or as a result of the speech.

I’ll either keep the tot home or I’ll go to school to see for myself what kind of crap the Big O will be spewing.

Oink on September 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM

The Principal at the Intermediate (3rd,4th,5th) School where my wife works didn’t know about it and said they would not participate. “We have classes to teach”, she said. Of course, the county school board might choose to participate and then she would fight them, but probably have no choice.

kingsjester on September 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Add this to the newly exposed WH contriving with the NEA to promote propaganda aimed at pushing his policies. Their conference call also noted the need to come up with a “new language” so as to avoid any legal problems and still be able to communicate with each other. Appears from their teleconference call that “coporation” may now be one that will refer to the WH.

hillbilly on September 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM

CHANGE & HOPE

bluegrass on September 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Still waiting to hear from The Round Rock Texas School Board via email. I mean come on guys this is the home of Dell and every room in the place has a puter or two.
Parents need to go to school if this stuff is put on and see what is up.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Fox News now reporting the obama school indoctrination program scheduled for sep. 8. It affects all public school students grades K or pre-K to 12. Pls. Try to stop this abomination, and keep your kids away if they go through with it. Put pressure on your schools to tell you what’s going on!

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

lovingmyUSA on September 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM

My school is playing dumb too. If you know how to screen capture (I don’t) maybe you could save that webpage from that link. Something tells me it’s going to disappear.

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I just sent a mass e-mail featuring the Fox Story to my friends. I sent the Hot Air Thread yesterday. My county school board has not told the Principals anything yet.

kingsjester on September 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

kingsjester on September 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Thank you. Hannity said something off the cuff yesterday, but it resonated with me. The topic was something to do with healthcare and the 9/12 protest, and he said, “…we’ll see what the teaparties have to say about that.”

It struck me at the time that he was saying that it was now up to the people to stop the gov’t. That’s what I’d like to see happen with this obama infomercial planned for 9/8. Thanks again.

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Special K on September 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Special K, may I just take this moment to say:

You rock so hard, I would stand all night on a cold sidewalk just to get your autograph!!!

Mary in LA on September 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Go to class with your kid that day. Ask to sit with your kid during this speech. Help the teacher properly interpret Obama’s grand speech.

See if the school panics and tries to separate you from your kid.

Be sure to make videos of this and post them to the internet.

( be sure to apologize to your kid for embarrassing the snot out of him by being there with him, explain that it wasn’t anything he was doing that caused this )

Kristopher on September 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM

We homeschool our kids. Personally, it does not effect our family.

The one issue that does strike me … perhaps someone else has already mentioned it …

The audiacity of Dear Leader to believe that he has the over-riding authority to speak to anyone’s child without the parent’s permission. That is plain gall and totalitarian tactic.

AZ_Redneck on September 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

AZ_Redneck on September 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I agree 100%. This was the talk of he playground at my daughter’s small Catholic elementary school today. Our principal has not announced whether the school will participate or not but based on the parents opinion, it would not go over well.

While I love the idea of an “Obama Flu” day -for us it would be a five day weekend – I hope that all parents call their schools ahead of time to encourage the admin to make this, at the very least, an opt in event for the students and families that want to participate. It is unacceptable that we, as parents, have no say in this. Parents should definitely call ahead and express their outrage over this usurpation of our parental rights. Keeping your kid home is not enough – not enough families, even those that want to, will be able to do the same.

The President should release to the public before the event the text of his address. Why hasn’t he? This smacks of partisanship. I love that at our school the families who cry “prejudice” are the ultra-Liberal ones – all three of them. Ours is a conservative & Catholic environment. If they’re not happy, there are plenty of schools subscribing to their ideology. What this even will do is draw lines early in the school year for those teachers who find themselves willing generals on the front lines of Obama’s assault on our nation. Why not instead just send your kid to school with an “Obama Stinks” t-shirt on and be done with it? At least then they don’t have to listen to him.

gopmom on September 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Animator Girl on September 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

While I completely agree that we should be involved in the admin of our kids’ schools, I chose private because there I know the other parents are just as involved as I am. Nothing like one busybody bad egg ruining an entire school system b/c he/she is the only parent showing up at board meetings. I’m a firm believer that the reason our public schools fail our kids so miserably is because parents fail – they fail to demand better teachers, better resources, better everything – and those schools are more beholden to the gov than they are to the parents. They work for the gov, not you. I choose private because I write the checks therefore I have a voice. And I have a choice to take my kid elsewhere. Not true of public school systems. Yes, school boards respond but only when the parents actually get involved. Frankly, I couldn’t be bothered to reform my local school system – I’m too busy reforming my local government.

gopmom on September 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I apologize if this has been posted by someone else but I am horrified this is in even one American school http://www.thefoxnation.com/culture/2009/09/02/parents-upset-over-leftist-propaganda-video.

I am a certified teacher (though never worked in a public school outside of being a substitute) and I would NEVER in a million years have thought I would see this in a classroom.

Please show this to every parent as they have a right to know what Dear Leader and his celebutards are teaching our children.

margategop517 on September 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM

My son starts school in 2011. At HOME. My boys won’t be learning about the religion of trees or doing any Obama worship courtesy of the public school system.

citrus on September 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

If they show Jugear’s speech in a catholic or other religious based school, make sure your kids know about

1. The fact that ozero voted to allow newborn babies (abortion survivors) to die of dehydration, exposure and starvation.

2. Make sure they know about Ezekial emanuell and his rationing of health care for older people.

3. I’ve lost track of all the crazy eugenics people in the administration.

4. I like the idea a previous poster had about showing the kids olde adolph schicklegruber and his hitler youth.

bullseye on September 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I’m tired of it.

sven10077 on September 2, 2009 at 6:28 AM

That makes two of us then, sven. I’m tired of non-educators telling me what is and is not happening in school.

You were wrong on every point. And I know my “Helen Keller” story didn’t touch your heart, but perhaps you could tell me how we’re supposed to get a kid to perform on tests when his mother drops him off for school in the evening, because she’s drunk and it’s dark and she doesn’t know the difference between morning and night, and we find the child crying in the dark with his backpack strapped on. And this is one of many, many stories, sven…but I guess we’re supposed to forget that we teach people and just drill those math facts baby, drill ‘em no matter what, because THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE FAILING!

I’m tired of it too.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I’m taking my grand kids out of school on Sept. 8th; No way this black boy is saying anything to them that I can’t monitor.
F him and all his soldiers.

Cybergeezer on September 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM