Obama’s next effort: a Children’s Crusade?

posted at 2:21 pm on September 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Drudge featured the breaking news story that Barack Obama would hold a nationwide speech for elementary-school children a week from today, touching off a flurry of e-mails wondering what Obama had in mind.  Will this be just an opportunity to learn more about government?  Or will Obama try pitching ObamaCare to the Sesame Street set?

The teaching guidelines don’t really give much of a hint:

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009

One does leap out: “Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President.” Is that an elective or a prerequisite for mathematics?

Presidents often visit classrooms and talk to students. It usually makes a good photo op to put the President with children who obviously enjoy the attention, and there’s no harm in it. It can be a good teaching moment for civics instruction, which this nation does poorly at delivering. The timing can even be explained as the first week in which all children will return to school, and since for many of them it will be their first day, it won’t interrupt their normal curriculum.

Still, the nationwide speech aspect of this is unprecedented, and a little odd. Coming as it does on the heels of a disastrous summer, it’s not surprising that people are suspicious, including the boss:

Will Obama be able to resist issuing a call to youth arms to marshal help in passing his legislative agenda?

The thing is: He won’t need to make the call explicit.

Obama zealot teachers like this one across the country will do all the extra-curricular bullying and haranguing for him.

They probably don’t need Obama pushing them to do that, anyway, although it will certainly give them more energy to do so.

If Obama sticks to education and personal achievement in his speech, there should be no controversy. Parents should prepare their children for the difference between political speeches and actual facts in any case, which will be a most useful education regardless of what Obama has to say in his speech.

Update: One of the first bloggers I ever read regularly, Venomous Kate from Electric Venom, says she’s sending her child to school instead of using a protest absence — and the coolness factor is one of the reasons. Be sure to read her take, and catch the implied lesson of parental involvement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I know. Y’all are special people. She bought lunch for one of the “babies” the other day because he did not have the money in his lunch account. Obama needs to leave America’s kids alone.

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I’m just glad Dear Leader hasn’t done the same thing for college students…yet. ‘Course, it’s not as if universities don’t t have enough left-wing propaganda already. For example, tonight my college is showing Sicko, Michael Moore’s “documentary” on health care, as part of a common student experience or something. Alas, I simply can’t find the time to be there. What a shame.

TheQuestion on September 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I smell a rat…

right2bright on September 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I just mean, generations don’t agree on politics. That’s normal.

Huh? It doesn’t have anything to do with the generations, only the politics. All my kids are conservative, and we have great discussions. They all live far away, but love to come home and I love it too. I have great kids and enjoy being with them.

I got along fine with my parents too, even though Mom was a dem and Daddy a republican. I mean…c’mon. Normal?

Bob's Kid on September 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM

…seems kinda fishy to me…

LEBA on September 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM

We are taking the grand kids to The Cradle Of TEXAS Liberty,THE ALAMO and teach them about real Hero’s that fought for Liberty /Freedom from a previous tyrant.
CHUCK boma Remember the ALOMO !!!!

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

If I had any one in school now, I might keep them home in protest. I’ve always thought the school system would be a great place to make a statment. Since most can’t put their kids anywhere else, a massive one day protest would be an interesting. Again, it’s easy for me to say since I don’t have any in school any more.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I just knew, Bush was wrong. I also knew, 9/11 just killed people. They were after revenge. I remember knowing we’d go to war over it, even if it wasn’t logical.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 P

OMG! There certainly is no arguing with that kind of voluntary stupidity. “9/11 just killed people.” What? What a waste of space AnninCA is.

gopmom on September 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Imagine if BUSH had even asked to do this?

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

And frankly, you come off as a bit offensive, with that first sentence of yours. My children are quite fine, even with my neurological non-normalcy – my daughter is quite a social butterfly, go figure.

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Thank you, Anna, for your posts and for putting up with this soulless, mindless troll. She manages to come off A LOT offensive in nearly every thread on HA, with her preachy tone, batty ideas and judgemental streak! (If she were NancyinCA I would SWEAR she was my sister) Another loony lefty, wannabe hippie, America-hating POS…of course, that’s just my humble opinion based upon years of HA reading and occasional posting. YMMV, of course – I, for one, cannot imagine why she/he/it has not been banned by Allah or Ed after all this time. I suppose it’s partially due to the fact that it is a comment-producing beast (she even drug me into the sewer with her attack on you and all other concerned parents).

rhbandsp on September 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Should not type when red hot
ALAMO,ALAMO,ALAMO.
Got it.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

gopmom on September 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

7th through 12th grades as well – see their lesson plans at the link you have.

rhbandsp on September 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

So if I send my boys to school that day wearing camo pants and a “Dont Tread On Me” shirts, will I get in trouble?

Bishop on September 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM

How about white shirts and red scarves (Youth Pioneer kerchief) as they do in Cuba?

LadyGator88 on September 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Well, won’t you be considered a charmer. :)

This is where I really diverge from so many of you. I thought baking cupcakes was the way to go.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

If you are going to be as radical as you say you now enjoy being, you’re going to have to do a lot more than bake cupcakes.

Alana on September 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Keeping the kids home as a protest is a great idea. Schools get x number of dollars per head as of 10 AM. No kid at 1000 no federal money that day. If dipstick speaks at 0800 to 1000 the the kids can go after he is done,still no money. National learn at home day.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

National learn at home day.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Why only for a day?

chemman on September 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

From the Dept of Education letter: He will speak to them so they can suceed and “can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizens.

From the 7-12 lesson plan: Since taking office, the President has repeatedly focused on education, even as the country faces two wars, the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression and major challenges on issues like energy and health care. The President believes that education is a critical part of building a new foundation for the American economy. Educated people are more active civically and better informed on issues affecting their lives, their families and their futures.

• Short readings. Notable quotes excerpted (and posted in large print on board) from President Obama’s speeches about education. Teacher might ask students to think alone, compare ideas with a partner, and share their collaborations with the class (Think/Pair/Share) about the following: What are our interpretations of these excerpts? Based on these excerpts, what can we infer the President believes is important to be successful educationally?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us? How will he challenge us? What might he say?

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM

succeed

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM

…he is laying the groundwork for his mandatory ‘volunteer’ corps…he is beginning the process of brainwashing the little people so when they are told they ‘have-to’ ‘volunteer’ they will be soft to the idea.

Notice that the one goal area that is missing is the church-religous area…hmmmm.

LEBA on September 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

chemman on September 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Because parents work, they would have to find alternatives. Trust me, I love the idea of National Home School For A Year, but it’s easy for me to say it because all my children are adults.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

AnnainCA posts that about 9/11 on the anniversary of Belsen.
What a fool. No wonder you live in CA. You could not be more stereotypical. Maybe it’s a parody troll.

Let’s hope.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I want to know what the NEW foundation for the American economy. NEW would mean “not old” or “not traditional”. Exactly what is this NEW foundation?

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Cuban Farm Camp

In case that’s not clear – what happens is, every kid from (I believe) 11 on has to spend a month or more away from their parents at a farm school where they do manual farm labor. The kids like it because there is virtually no adult supervision and they can do what they want as they are indoctrinated “based on the most profound Marxist thought, which conceives of the education and training of the individual as closely related to prodictive and creative work …(…) its continuing push toward universal education and the development of the new “socialist” man.” Ask the Boys at Babalu for more info – I’m sure they’ve heard of it.

It’s a parent’s nightmare.

BrideOfRove on September 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM

My friends and I are encouraging a mass “skip day” on September 8th. If you’ve got a kid in public school, take the out next tuesday. Let’s send a message. We don’t want our kids indoctrinated, and we DON’T want our teachers “tracking the progress” of our children “helping the president.”

poorrichardsnews on September 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I have come to the conclusion that it’s Allah in drag.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Folks, not all public school teachers are liberals. I ‘disobey’ my union’s suggestions at every election, and I teach my students patriotism, government the way it’s SUPPOSED to run, and love of country. We say the pledge. We sing the Star Spangled Banner.

Why do I stay in public schools? Because if I and others like me leave, who’s left for our youngest citizens?

Not all teachers went all in for the HopeNChange…and those who did are very, very quiet these days. Not too many Obama stickers left on the cars in the teachers’ lot.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

This is spreading like wildfire. Family and friends across the country planning on having the Obama Flu on the 8th. I love it. Spread the word.

A few pages back, a commenter hit the nail on the head when she/he said this is unprecedented and of course it is political. When was the last time the President addressed the nation’s children?

When you look at it in context – Obama Youth Corps and National Day of Service, it is creepy (another great word I stole.) Obama could show up on the screen on Tuesday and announce free ice cream for all and I would still keep my kid home. I’m her parent – I decide what she sees, what she hears, what she learns.

I really feel sorry for parents of public school students today. It will be financially difficult this year, but we are keeping our daughter in a small Catholic school. It’s the only way to have any influence at all – when you pay. (Hmmm, there’s a lesson about healthcare in there somewhere.)

gopmom on September 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM

RightWinged on September 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Don’t worry, everyone knows that there are more good teachers than bad and the strength of the unions vary from place to place. They aren’t going to take the time to qualify their comments.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Call, write, bitch to your school board that this “Ain’t Cuber yet,OK.”
Still waiting to hear back from the Reston folks about their STOOPID Cop,I did write and ask the supervisors if he flunked civics. This boma deal is the best shot we have at school boards to shut the TV off. Viewing this must be voluntary for kids with parent aproval or else. WE restrict movies to family rated until they can do PG 13 then the kid needs a letter to watch or goes to study hall. Lenin said get the kids.
National Learn at Home Day.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Thank you Jesus that we home-school!

fbcmusicman on September 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Or will Obama try pitching ObamaCare to the Sesame Street set?

and I heard the Elmo pitch on the radio twice today. This administration is full of monsters, and not the cookie eating variety either…

Ozprey on September 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

the Elmo thing was for flu shots though…as if it matters…

Ozprey on September 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I assume that it is only K through 6th grade they are broadcasting this rubbish to. My kid goes to a middle school that has 6th grade in it and even though she is an 8th grader, I do not want Obama’s brainwashing speech heard in her classroom, as all rooms have television monitors in them because of “Channel One”. (CNN’s version of the news for kids). The brainwashing seems to be geared for elementary age, lucky them. If my daughter was still that age, think it might be a good day to stay home and play sick.

Susanboo on September 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Sieg Heil (sigh)

worlok on September 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM

He’ll give a talk on democracy and participation, and that’ll be that.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Sorry this untrustworthy filthy lying excuse of a President has proven his UNTRUTHFULNESS waaay too many times. Do you have school aged children Ann? NO WAY NOHOW…AIN`T GONNA HAPPEN! This is MY personal line in the sand.

NY Conservative on September 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Didn’t Castro start a similar program for “his people” about 50 years ago?

Cybergeezer on September 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

LOLOL..they ALREADY took the stickers off the car??!! WOW!

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Sorry, the link didn’t work the first time.

CBP on September 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

From that link…

Here’s how the President described the speech in a recent interview with 11 year-old reporter Damon Weaver yesterday: “On Sept. 8, when young people across the country will have just started or are about to go back to school, I’m going to be making a big speech to young people all across the country about the importance of education indoctrination (to further my cause), the importance of staying in school(so “we” can be assured the “job” is finished), how we want to improve our education system(to enable us to grow many many more little Marxists), and why it’s so important for the country furthering of my agenda. And so I hope everybody everyone MUST tunes in.”

NY Conservative on September 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Like the saddest drunk dude at a bar, Obama is getting desperate for some lovin’– after striking out with the entire population of respectable adults, he is going to try the “want some candy, kids?” approach to garner some lowest common denominator positive feedback.

Although im familiar with the lefts plan to brainwash the youth of America, this just stinks of desperation –

alecj on September 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM

How sweet! A Democrat Party slogan! The same one they used when they elected Clinton in 1992,CTW, and still a crock. The worst economy since the Depression was NOT in January 2009, but in the Carter years, when we had double-digit unemployment, double-digit inflation, and double-digit inflation rates. But no matter. The Party slogans rule!

Yep. No propaganda there, folks.

wolfie on September 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM

He’ll give a talk on democracy and participation, and that’ll be that.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Suppose he will take down email addresses?

CWforFreedom on September 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Can you imagine if Bush had done this?
Can you imagine if Bush used the NEA to elicit pro-war art?
Can you imagine if Bush took the census from Commerce and handed it over to Karl Rove?
Can you……oh forget it.

wolfie on September 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

While socialism viciously destroys our country you’ll make cupcakes.

That’ll show’em.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM

My kid sure as hell won’t be at school that day. He’ll be home learning important things like WHY this man is doing bad things to this country. Call it what you will… I call it education.

Mad Mad Monica on September 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Actually I’m of two minds on keeping my daughter home. She is in 6th grade this year. Last year her school did a mock election with debates in the classrooms. She debated for McCain against another young lady. She debated on the facts her father and I had gotten not from the msm about what Obama actually said. McCain actually won the election in her school. She did so well in that debate the young lady she was debating actually voted McCain also. So I may let her go so she can voice her opinion. I may end up getting her out of the principals office but oh well.

sdan on September 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM

o.k. kids of america i want to learn all about the U.S. kkk of A. not god bless america but g.d. america kiddies.

rjoco1 on September 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM

do suspect some of you will end up alone on holidays. But that’s just my suspicion.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I raised my kids much like my own raised me. I look forward to holiday gatherings. I suspect my kids will enjoy mine.

Your comment is typical of progressive “open-minded” jerks.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I was just completely alarmed by this. Nothing is sacred to this government, it is all about unprecedented power, control and manipulation fronted by an empty suit with “charisma”. And the teachers are almost universally behind it. Evidently not realizing they to will suffer from the loss of liberty.
If I still had a child in school, I don’t know if I would send him that day, or send him and like the poster above, be prepared to retrieve him from the principal’s office and to do battle with the administration.

Willie on September 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM

No time to review the previous comments, so apologies ahead of time if this is repetetive.

Ed, are you sure you didn’t mean to say:

It usually makes a good photo op to put the President,who obviously enjoy the attention, with children .

Anyhoooo.

8>P

hillbillyjim on September 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM

hillbillyjim on September 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Hillbillyjim, how dare you. You do realize that this could be misconstrued as a slam against Michael Jackson. Shame.

hillbillyjim on September 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM

The thing is: He won’t need to make the call explicit.

That’s a BINGO, Michelle.

hillbillyjim on September 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Just tell your kids that poor Barry had such an awful summer, especially in August, that he’s desperate to make friends during the school year.

Christien on September 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I also knew, 9/11 just killed people.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

What could you possibly mean by that statement??? They “just killed people” like just killing people (by the thousands by the way) is OK on any level?; were any of your family or friends killed that day, forget they were your fellow citizens. . . were they just “people” What is wrong with you is so profound it is not diagnosable.

Willie on September 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Bozo is up to something nasty. Remember, children have been used by fascists in the past to inform on their parents. Remember too that we teach children to avoid adults that ask for their “help” for any reason.

dogsoldier on September 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

What i’m hearing locally is, Obama is going to use the schools and the students to be Census deliverers.

All children in K-12 will be given a Census and must return it completely filled out or they will be falied or suspended. This will ensure all adults with kids in the public schools complete them. Obama is using the kids to get the parents to submit to his dictates.

The Obama Youth is being hatched. For the children.

roninacreage on September 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Like a page taken from the Weather Underground’s Bill Ayers.

TN Mom on September 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Why do both Democrat Presidents since 1992 seem to be child molestors?

TexasJew on September 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Damn, but I’m glad my kids are out of school.

Out of all of the things this guy has done, this has got to be the scariest.

Grooming the Thought Police.

HAnthonyWayne on September 1, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Can we sign a form saying that we want our child exempted from listening to this speech??

Kind of like when sex education rolls around and a parent can get their kid out of that?

As a parent, we were allowed to view the tapes they would be presenting to the kids, can we get a preview of what Obama will be saying to our kids??

texasconserv on September 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I think that Tuesday may just be a good day to take off from work, keep the kids out of school and ride to the beach one last time.

jimmy2shoes on September 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Gaah! That averages a little over 9 Fireside Chats per year. A typical school is in session for 9 months of the year.

Actually, 30 chats over 11 years (per your link) works out to about 3 a year, sometimes as many as 7 or 8 months apart. And the topics include the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl and and the biggest war in history. (Thanks for the interesting link, btw.)

FDR had a lot more restraint than Zero does. I shudder to imagine how Zero would perform in the same situations as FDR.

Missy on September 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM

“let the children come to me…” said Michael Jackson….

Nice.

“Stay Away From My Kids!”
–New Conservative Battle Cry– by David Hedrick

ted c on September 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM

These stories backfire in our faces.

Where were you big mouths in the 60s and 70s when Leftists flooded into Education and monopolized it?

You were out chasing “free enterprise.”

Okay, so now Bernie Madoff and the rest have left you with your pants down and KY-jelly in every orifice.

Happy now?

Lefties took our public education system. And you chased a wet dream.

You’re getting exactly what you deserve.

I say this as one of the few, and I mean VERY FEW conservatives who went into education as a career. Where was my band of brothers? Nobody had my back. I was awash in a cesspool of creepy marxist self-esteem.

Thank’s bizzatches. I’ll never forget you.

Suck it up. You let this happen. It’ll take generations to clean up the mess.

Enjoy those 401Ks.

jeff_from_mpls on September 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Actually, 30 chats over 11 years (per your link) works out to about 3 a year

You’re right, Missy! *Major* math fail on my part. I was dividing by terms, not years.

I shudder to imagine how Zero would perform in the same situations as FDR.

You and me both! (Second look at court-packing???)

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM

let them miss the whole day so as to effect their federal funding for the day. Furthermore if a point is to be made it should be the parents explaining evil and corruption in the world and how doing the right thing is important. This is an opportunity here, please don’t waste it.

Put this socialist clown in his place. If it makes him feel better he can let Joyce Elders show his girls how to put on a condom. Then girls need some skin in the game.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Jeeze, all this worrying?

Lighten up, is my advice.

I swear, the candidate who uses a light touch is going to win everything.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM

From the sweet innocent HA gal who opposes Obama for campaign thuggery.

Fletch54 on September 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM

And old poem…but seems appropriate nonetheless:

“That is the greatest thing about him,
That he is not only our leader and a great hero,
But himself, upright, firm and simple,
In him the roots of our world.
And his soul touches the stars
And yet he remains a man like you and me.”

It starts with the youth…it is so easy. Bend them, form them, build them any way you wish…for they love their teachers, their parents are so…what’s that phrase? Old? So, reach for the youth, grab them, bring them into the circle…make them feel important, a part of history, fill their heads with grand ideas of how the world should be, would be, will be, if only those nasty mean people would just get out of the way.

Baldur von Schirach would be so impressed.

coldwarrior on September 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Christien on September 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM

No, just tell them to scream “That’s not my President” over and over again until help arrives. :-0

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

You mean, like these cupcakes?

unclesmrgol on September 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM

FWIW, at 1:00 on 9/8, this non-union teacher will be teaching an AP Biology class the chemical processes that occur during the disassembly of acetyl CoA to produce NADH and FADH2 during the Krebs cycle of cellular respiration. At this time there has been no directive from my school’s administration to show this garbage to the students. However, if I am instructed to show this to my students I will simply turn on the TV, turn down the volume, and continue my teaching.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Thanks for the comment. It is aggravating to read the “bad teacher” comments every time there is an education article on HA. I teach at a 90/90 school and it is tough enough trying to get through the government welfare mentality that many of the students are raised with by their parents. For many of my students the only conservative perspective they will be exposed to will come from teachers like me.

dawgyear on September 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Second look at court-packing???

No joke, Mary – would it surprise anyone if he tried it? Desperate floundering Presidents do desperate things…though fortunately for us, in this one’s case, increasingly laughable things.

Missy on September 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Keep away from my children!

1921 C DRUM on September 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If he does anything except envourage our young people to stay in school, all hell will break loose.

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM

envourage=encourage

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM

We have already prepared.

We informed the wonderful Principal that the girls have in Elementary school that they will NOT BE AT SCHOOL THAT DAY

If this man is willing to let the unborn that survived a botched abortion die struggling for breath (as he voted repeatedly on in the Illinois Senate) he is NOT worthy of even talking to my children.

MESSAGE TO OBAMA….GET YOUR ACORN/SEIU/YOUTHCORPS HANDS AWAY FROM OUR KIDS.

PappyD61 on September 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM

dawgyear on September 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You sound brave. Seriously though, don’t get offended by comments, you know who you are and the comments aren’t about you. I think it would be interesting to see how your students react to the speech, but you idea about the volume is a good one.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I wonder if they’ll have the kids singing a song… Maybe “Tomorrow Belongs to Me”

phreshone on September 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM

dawgyear on September 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I’m sorry but how do you differentiate between “good” teachers and “bad” teachers in a system such as that crafted by the NEA/AFT/Dept of Education? The system is clearly failing the students yet any attempt at holding the system accountable for some of the problem is batted down as being all the parents’ fault, lack of funding, or some other cause. There are bad teachers in the system.

I know several frustrated teachers. They are doing God’s work (my characterization) in a very bad inner-city school system. The administration is more concerned with fine-tuning the excuses for failure than they are in providing a better product. The union leadership does not support the membership which is why they are going into two years without a new contract (the school system made a reasonable offer that reflects the economic reality and it was rejected primarily because the teacher’s union-run health plan would be replaced with a cheaper alternative).

So, to wrap this up, not all teachers are bad but it is very easy to draw generalizations when the system is so clearly failing the students. It isn’t fair but the way students are being betrayed is a greater injustice.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Baloney! Mass indoctrination of children by an egomaniacal “leader” IS the controversy. Where in the world is this done by a head of government? North Korea, Iran, Venezuela…see any pattern emerging?!

JonPrichard on September 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Same look in his eye as that creep in California that held girl captive for 18 years.

Tell me trolls from Daily Kos what is the difference between these two freaks?

One thing for sure they share is the ability to use propaganda and plant fear in young peoples minds.

This will surely measure the new bar of morals set in this country by the worlds greatest liar. Will you succumb to his power or do you have the courage to stand up to him and build character in your children. We will see.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I think I’ll take the kids squirrel hunting instead.

McBride on September 1, 2009 at 8:52 PM

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I totally agree that there are many bad teachers in education and that unions and government regulations prevent these bad teachers from being fired. However, one of the reasons for the lack of truly good teachers is that very few people who would be good teachers go into teaching. I know there are many reasons why this is so and I would love to see more conservatives (as long as they would be good teachers) go into teaching. Regardless, I am just trying to say that that it is not a lost cause and that there is some good teaching in our public schools.

dawgyear on September 1, 2009 at 8:55 PM

No school Sept 8th, Pass the word

Boycott communism. Now thats preventive medicine. No bills required. Just a good ole common sense approach.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I just sent tuition money to my grand niece’s private school at the local Lutherin church across the state where she lives (50% of the tuition money for her first grade). This is a GOOD TIME to pull all your kids out of public school. The NEA is out of control with uber lib agendas that pollute the classroom. I don’t care how financially strapped a family is, the parents need to get a job delivering pizza at night, newspapers in the middle of the night, whatever it takes, to get their kids into some sort of private school.

I don’t have kids, but I sure can use some of my own resources to help my niece with her kid’s tuition (I do it anonymously so they don’t know I am the source of these found “scholarships”). I plan to help all 3 of her kids all the way through 12th grade. It is costing me almost $2K this year. Her other kids are 2 years and one will be born in November. I have some time to save more money to help them out.

karenhasfreedom on September 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM

“Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President.”

Obama Youth! One step toward building his Civilian Defense Army that is as strong and well funded as our military. With Ochimpy as the Uber-Fuhrer accountable to no one.

csdeven on September 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM

may God bless you Karen

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

This is community organizing at its most grand. Barry doesn’t need all the children, or even most of them. All he needs is the one radical in every classroom. That’s it. That’s who he’ll be talking to. Those people will find the few radical teachers in every school.

A new “community movement” is born. They are building their new America and hoping it will last the rest of the century.

LibTired on September 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Sorry to harp on this but thinks education is important to build a NEW foundation for the American economy. Facist economy, the importance of wealth distribution, public health care, cap and trade?

Thank God my big kids would make fun of him and my little one is too little to care. This had better be a one shot deal or he will miss school for future Obama indoctrination sessions.

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Dear leader needs children to report to the class union marshal all negative things parents say about his plan to keep America healthy.

He is your friend, children.

Hening on September 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Folks! Don’t take your kids out of school on that day! Arm your kids with the unvarnished truth about the evil agenda of the democrats and have them speak their mind to the Marxist activist bullies that will have certainly been indoctrinated by their leftest loon parents and the teachers. We abandon our universities and the media to the leftist commies and now they are so entrenched, that they are completely unafraid to brazenly push their socialist agendas and crap all over the constitution!

csdeven on September 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM

1. First off, to all of you whining “Can you imagine if Bush did this?!?” Well, I imagine the Liberals would be rioting in the streets. Why aren’t YOU rioting in the streets?

That’s half the problem of the Right today — NO GUTS.

2. Why is nobody demading to preview the content of this speech?

3. Doesn’t all cirricula have to be approved by the School Board? How can your School Board approve a cirricula they have not reviewed? Have YOU called the Board to obtain an advance copy of this cirriculum? If not, why not?

If all you’re going to do is whine — or think you’ve already done your duty at Town Halls — then you get the government you deserve. This guy is taking no prisoners. ARE YOU?!?

voxpopuli on September 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Frankly it doesn’t matter what your party affiliation is, this is unprecedented and a pure political intrusion into education. This is your Cindy Sheehan moment. Is it the cause or is it the politics? Will you lay down because it is “your guy” delivering his message? How will you feel in 4 years if it is President Cheney, or President Ron Paul, or President Kucinich? If you are uncomfortable with anyone else delivering their message to the children then you must oppose it on it’s face.

School systems are run on the local level. All outside speakers and topics must be approved by the school board. This is no different.

Proposals before school boards have a purpose. Where is the purpose statement? Educational documents have a rubric and an expected outcome – where are those? All speakers have to submit their speeches and materials for approval – where is that?

Please contact your local school boards and demand that the education standards be upheld in this matter. We set criteria to meet the educational needs of our local communities and to protect our children from unexamined, unreviewed materials from making it’s way into the schools. The local school board empowers the Superintendants to supervise the principals who approve the teaching plans. Deviations of this magnitude must be approved by the school board.

The Federal Government has no authority to simply insert itself into our local schools. No authority. And any teacher who deviates from their school systems teaching plan without School Board approval should be reprimanded.

The school board works for you. Call them and discuss the issue with them. It is their job to fight this on your behalf. It’s not about “this” President. It’s the issue.

batterup on September 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM

The unofficial menu:

1)Prior to the speech, President Obama flags and photos will be distributed to the adoring children.
2)After the Dear Leader makes his appearance, the new national anthem will be sung.
3)Afterward, one lucky student will be chosen at random to deliver a bouquet of flowers to the Dear Leader.
4)At the culmination of the celebration, the Dear Leader will address the His children.

moxie_neanderthal on September 1, 2009 at 9:22 PM