Obama’s next effort: a Children’s Crusade?

posted at 2:21 pm on September 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Drudge featured the breaking news story that Barack Obama would hold a nationwide speech for elementary-school children a week from today, touching off a flurry of e-mails wondering what Obama had in mind.  Will this be just an opportunity to learn more about government?  Or will Obama try pitching ObamaCare to the Sesame Street set?

The teaching guidelines don’t really give much of a hint:

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009

One does leap out: “Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President.” Is that an elective or a prerequisite for mathematics?

Presidents often visit classrooms and talk to students. It usually makes a good photo op to put the President with children who obviously enjoy the attention, and there’s no harm in it. It can be a good teaching moment for civics instruction, which this nation does poorly at delivering. The timing can even be explained as the first week in which all children will return to school, and since for many of them it will be their first day, it won’t interrupt their normal curriculum.

Still, the nationwide speech aspect of this is unprecedented, and a little odd. Coming as it does on the heels of a disastrous summer, it’s not surprising that people are suspicious, including the boss:

Will Obama be able to resist issuing a call to youth arms to marshal help in passing his legislative agenda?

The thing is: He won’t need to make the call explicit.

Obama zealot teachers like this one across the country will do all the extra-curricular bullying and haranguing for him.

They probably don’t need Obama pushing them to do that, anyway, although it will certainly give them more energy to do so.

If Obama sticks to education and personal achievement in his speech, there should be no controversy. Parents should prepare their children for the difference between political speeches and actual facts in any case, which will be a most useful education regardless of what Obama has to say in his speech.

Update: One of the first bloggers I ever read regularly, Venomous Kate from Electric Venom, says she’s sending her child to school instead of using a protest absence — and the coolness factor is one of the reasons. Be sure to read her take, and catch the implied lesson of parental involvement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wow, we get a younger bunch of kids dressed in fatigues singing how Dear Leader is allowing them to grow in America.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I sympathize with you guys only because I can’t TELL you the indigestion that comes from truly producing kids who think independently.

????

I’m talking about the study materials, shown above, from the US Department of Education about President Obama.

Did you read them? They are shown above, and you can click on it to see it better.

MayBee on September 1, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Then I grew up, got a job, lived in the real world and yes, I completely agree with my parents politically. They despise Democrats as much or more than I do.

Well, other than the despise part, your post holds out hope. My kid sounds more and more like me the older he gets.

He’s pretty philosophical, for example, about the obamafan junk. He and I have only just begun to be able to chat about this in a fairly objective way.

It’s fun. But I do think each generation gets to outgrow, too. I don’t object to that.

They get to forge their own decades, so to speak.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Yet, honestly, do you know a single family where kids agree with their parents politically at holidays? Isn’t that why everyone “hates” going home?

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Many people don’t hate going home. Don’t project.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

So if I send my boys to school that day wearing camo pants and a “Dont Tread On Me” shirts, will I get in trouble?

Bishop on September 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Thread winner!

GrannyDee on September 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I think that ex Marine at the town hallmedeting summed it up well, Stay the hell away from my kids!

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I’m the father of a high school senior who is both conservative and a devout Christian. I’m sending him to school that day with an audio recorder and instructions to watch his teachers and his fellow students for reactions, and then report back to me.

MBuck on September 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Awesome – will you share your results with us?

Ris4victory on September 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Sorry NoDonkey. I didn’t mean to attribute anninca’s words to you.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

That’s probably why I voted McCain.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

LIAR

angryed on September 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

LIAR

angryed on September 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

No, no comrade…she is telling the truth she is “not a fan” but voted for him anyway….

even though she equates the nebulous “far right” who couldn’t even fix social security with the donks trying to hi-jack one sixth the economy….

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I’ll be glad to.

MBuck on September 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I want to know when this speech or video will bbe run and I also want to know if they are broadcasting it in Spanish as a huge number of kids here no hablan english.
I intend to remove my young child. My high schooler however can stay. These idiots are totally over reaching. It would be funny if it weren’t so scary.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

You didn’t answer my question. I asked if the teacher asked your kids to help Bush. You know that his agenda was pro-war. Would you want your kid to come home all gungho?

Well, here was my own parenting solution. My kid made friends with someone in junior high. He would spend the night over at their house.

I asked, like most, “How was your sleepover?”

Finally, one day, he said, “Boy, they really like to hate minorities.” I asked him what he meant. He said that the “n” word came up often.

Now, here was my own reaction. I watched his reaction. He seemed to have a good handle on the fact that didn’t mean he had to believe that way. He seemed remarkably comfortable. He was just noting the reality.

I left the whole situation alone, and I didn’t say he couldn’t spend the night again. As long as he figured out that was their own idiocyncracy, then I felt OK.

So, I never worried as much as some of you about outside influences. I just tried to pay attention.

Now, I have another story that was far, far less successful. And I came to regret my liberalism on this. I have expressed that a lot, too, with him.

Here’s HIS answer. Nothing you could have done. I was in a very idealistic stage, and I was determined.

OK, but I still would NEVER suggest my parenting is superior in any way to anyone, other than the helicopter folks. (I know they absolutely drive kids batty. Lighten up.)

But I think parenting is usually a mixture of good and bad decisions. We just can’t expect perfection.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

MBuck on September 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM

The article states elementary school students, are they going to have messages for different groups. Sorry, it looks like there is a video there and I can’t watch at work.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Correct. Moreover, 6 months into Obama, I’m even more comfortable with my choice.

Go figure. Long-time Dem here, never voted GOP in my life! But I agree with my radical shift.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I don’t raise my kids to be independent. I teach them to do what’s right.

Despite what some say about money, independence can be the root of evil.

The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

shick on September 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Many people don’t hate going home. Don’t project.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Oh hates is too strong of a word. We complain. We kvetch.

I just mean, generations don’t agree on politics. That’s normal.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I feel a little better now – I just got done printing off the documents linked above and some information I’ve gathered from links in this thread. I am armed and ready to go tonight to the open house, and I’m going to get to the bottom of this, at least at my daughter’s school.

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Both PreK-6 and 7-12th grades. Details: http://ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

debg on September 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM

MESSIAH COMPLEX!
When I read my Bible, I ask questions like, “What does God want me to do?” “What is God telling me?”

Now, our children need to look to “the One” and ask the same things.

Stay home.

balkanmom2 on September 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Here’s my prediction:

September 8 will roll around, one week from today, and at the appointed hour, schoolkids across America will dutifully sit down before the classroom TV, or be marched by rows into the cafeteria.

President Obama will speak.

His speech will be bland, unobjectionable pablum about how you young people are the future of America, stay in school, learn all you can, etc.

All the parents who kept their children home will be made to feel like paranoid fools by their kids’ teachers, school principals, relatives, parents of their kids’ friends who didn’t pull their kids out of school, or even by their kids themselves who may express their embarrassment at having been made to seem “different” from their peers.

In late October or early November, President Obama will announce another speech to the schoolchildren.

Burned by what happened on September 8, conservative parents will sigh and send their kids to school as usual.

And at that point President Obama will “invite” the kids to join his Obama Youth Corps.

For the good of society.

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I’ve always thought that the only two “ex-marines” were Lee Harvey Oswald and John Murtha.

Otherwise, there are “former Marines.” But I defer to the Marines here at Hotair.

Wethal on September 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Well, won’t you be considered a charmer. :)

This is where I really diverge from so many of you. I thought baking cupcakes was the way to go.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

The trolls are baa-ack.

balkanmom2 on September 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Whenever he talks to the school kids, I WANT my son to listen. I WANT him to hear what evil sounds like. I consider THAT a good vaccine to give him.

MBuck on September 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

This is an increasingly polarized and tense society. But it is also true that Chavez must rely extensively on force and deception to promote his socialist project. His personal popularity has sunk under 50 percent in recent weeks (support for his policies are even lower) and he is becoming more radical.

Replace the word Chavez for the word Obama and see if it makes sense.

elduende on September 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I thought baking cupcakes was the way to go.

But, AnninCA, cupcakes are evil! Sugar, transfats, preservatives, and GMO flour, all produced by wicked transnational coroporate conglomerates. Bring carrot sticks and granola cups instead. Won’t someone think of the children???

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

coroporate…

Purview is my fiend.

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Time to put a little letter together for the school district. Thanks to Drudge and HotAir for informing us so we can advise our school administrators that we are VERY aware of this presentation.

In these highly politicized times, they best be careful of what is discussed. I wonder if any will watch it and then decide how best to present the material. I mean they are not “required by law” to present this speech on this day, are they?

pjean on September 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM

What needs to be here if the local schools boards can not stop this indoctrination of our children by this fascist perverts charades is to make your kids stay home Sept 8. An excellent way to show Bambi, the media and the crooked school boards who is boss and guardian of their children.

Might have worked for Hitler but not agin Bambi.

But dad Jethro will get mad if I skip school.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM

So does this affect private schools? Have a Kindergardener to look out for. Sent the link to my sister.

Buckeye Babe on September 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM

AnnainCA, that is the dumbest response I can think of.
And no, I will not send my young son to hear any messiah speech. The older kids have a referennce as to how out of the ordinary this is. I don’t care what he says it is the idea that this becomes the norm that bugs the shit out of me.
Most parents don’t have a clue what goes on in a school, I will never be one of them and I don’t give a flying flip who thinks what about me.
Your comment, AnnainCA, has me furious. That is exactly what they want you to do, just like a good little stepford wife.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM

What if Bush was in the midst of such a radical political shift? How would the Progressive bullies have liked it?

pjean on September 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Actually, you make a joke, but that’s also why my teacher buddies love to tell me the latest about helicopter moms.

You aren’t wrong. They refuse to take responsibility and tell their kids not to eat whatever.

They insist there’s a rule for everyone.

I repeatedly express disgust for this type of parenting attitude. Frankly, they are ridiculous.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Sorry, I think I’m going to be sick.

Where is the outrage?

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Hands off, creepy man.

PaddyJ on September 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Where is the outrage?

ORconservative

WAAAAAAYYYY past outrage, my friend.

MBuck on September 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM

BOYCOTT YOUR KIDS FROM SCHOOL SEPT 8TH

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Happening now in Venezuela.

The bill appears to open up education to political interference by the government. Among other provisions, it enshrines Bolivarian doctrine” as the basis of education and gives a major role in education to the so-called “communal councils,” which are community assemblies mostly dominated by the ruling Unified Socialist Party of Venezuela.

“This law is very dangerous,’ said legislator Pastora Medina of the Humanist Front, a one-time government supporter and a member of the education commission. “It turns schools into centers for community activists and ignores the pedagogical aspect.

Wake up! Venezuela is our canary in a coalmine people.

elduende on September 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Thank GOD! I thought we were all baking cupcakes.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Ok, but you understand that in the above school exercises, the Department of Education is just asking the kids to think of the President as the helicopter parent, right?

Did you read the suggested activities? Do you agree with the tone?

MayBee on September 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

debg on September 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Thanks. As someone with no dog in this fight I am not sure what I think. If he deals strictly on the importance of education and it’s a one time deal I don’t think it will accomplish much. Teenagers will just do the big eyeroll.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Lol. I can see it now. Awwww, Duuuude.

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

How about this tone…….

FU*K the COMMUNIST BASTARDS AND THE DONKEYS THEY RODE IN ON

Hows that for tone lefties.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Even if he talks only about school and achievement, this is still another disgusting chapter in the Obama Hubris Chronicles. Does he think flapping is lips about achievement will make it so? Does he think he can talk the D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc., schools into being anything other than the complete messes that they are? Does he really believe that the sound of his messianic voice is so powerful as to make a bunch of dumb-ass gang-bangers go “Oh, gee, Obama says go to school and work hard, so I guess I’ll get my backpack and head over now.” This guy is really starting to grate in a serious way. His ego knows no bounds.

Rational Thought on September 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Ah, but that’s where I think this is going. I don’t see why it would be a one-time deal at all. How many “Fireside Chats” did FDR (BHO’s role model) give in the course of his 3-1/4 terms as President?

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Considering the total botch Obama made of Illinois education when he sat on committees that allocated grants for marxist education programs (along with terrorist William Ayers), I can’t think of anything of value he would have to say to America’s schoolkids regarding scholastic achievement.

That only leaves the political. Considering a Presidential simulcast directly to schools is an unprecedented event, I suspect that’s exactly what it’s all about. If he refuses to give the text of the speech ahead of time, then it’s a certainty.

So are the right-wing nuts calling public schools “government indoctrination camps” paranoid, or paranoid enough?

Socratease on September 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Holy Shit. Read the memo. “have the children write down goals on how to help the president” “have the teacher collect them so that they can be redistributed and the child held accountable to their goals” CREEPY.

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Does this dolt these fools elected have any idea under the sun what he is doing. He’s like a goose that wakes up in a new world every morning. We are in deep, deep trouble.

rplat on September 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I’ve got a call in to my kids’ school to see if they are participating.. I’m waiting to hear back, I left a msg with the principle, I told him that my daughter would NOT be there if they did.
Funny the lady who answered acted like she didn’t know about it, but asked if I was for it or against it????

reshas1 on September 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

This one needs to make the rounds on all the cable talk shows tonight.

There will be some good discussions on this one you wait and see.

Good Job Axelhead and Rahm, you’ve done it again. We appreciate your help.

Waterloo and you too.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

So you’ve switched from baking it into your brownies, and now you add it to your cupcakes instead. That would explain your snarky troll comments. I guess that would mean “half-baked” cupcakes was the way to go…for hippies like you.

Laura in Maryland on September 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

It’s just Obama trying to get people to make more Nazi comparisons to the “Little Corporal” as a way of creating a distraction from his true purpose–invading Poland!

chickasaw42 on September 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Exactly! it is the ego first and foremost but over and beyond that it is the radical change, not unlike what they are trying elsewhere, that was has never happened before is suddenly normal.
What is this all about? To have the system in place when marshal law is called? or in place when the youth corp starts, or in place for a call to prayer every day?

This is outrageous and completely over the top.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM

This link answered my question: 30. That averages

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Amen. We have to send in money to teach the kids about currency this week. I guess we should attach that to be redistributed too???

Laura in Maryland on September 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Thank God we still have free internet/speech and we all know about this.

I see another backlash coming.

balkanmom2 on September 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I’m disappointed that MO isn’t giving the speech. It was probably her idea.

/;-)

Cody1991 on September 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Gaah! That averages a little over 9 Fireside Chats per year. A typical school is in session for 9 months of the year.

I do not like where this is going.

Mary in LA on September 1, 2009 at 4:45 PM

I was thinking it was MO’s idea too. In fact, I’d bet money on it, while I still have money.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:45 PM

I guess he thinks he can have Michelle put on a Larry the Cable Guy shirt exposing those big arms to scare us.

Won’t work Corporal Hussian

Need to punish Axelhead and Rahm for thinking of this one.

Another nail in your coffin.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I’ll be calling our schools to see if my children would be subject to it. If yes, they will be staying home on the 8th. This even though they will be missing school tomorrow for the Tea Party Express.

Ok, here is a very DARK thought… since they have already asked that we turn in people with opposing views to healthcare and such, do you think they will be requesting to see who is absent on the 8th? Paranoid I know. But lately I’ve been creeped out with the emails, computer-cookies and such. Just how much information do they have and how much do they want?

cibolo on September 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM

The Spin

President Barack Obama is heading back to school — on television that is! The commander in chief will appear in a back-to-school television special next month along with pop superstar Kelly Clarkson, and NBA MVP LeBron James.

President Obama will appear in a 30-minute documentary that will air on all Viacom channels on September 8 at 8 p.m., the Associated Press reports.

In the special, the president stresses the importance of education and calls it the key to people achieving their dreams, the AP writes.

President Obama, Clarkson, and James are teaming up with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Viacom for the 30 minute special called “Get Schooled: You Have the Right.”

On Clarkson’s dedication to education from Wiki: Upon high school graduation, Clarkson was offered full scholarships to The University of Texas at Austin, University of North Texas, and Berklee, but decided against college because she had “already written so much music and wanted to try it on her own,” and she figured “you’re never too old to go to college.”[8]

And Lebron James did not even want to bother finishing highschool.

Perfect role models for the topic of education.

FerfeLaBat on September 1, 2009 at 4:47 PM

What if the kid’s goal is to help see that Obama fails?
Hey,, wondering if they’d allow Rush to speak to the kids?
Wonder if they’d allow a single parent to sit in and watch??

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Well, won’t you be considered a charmer. :)

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I’m an Aspie – I don’t do charming. However, as a mother, I stay on top of what my daughter is taught in school – I find that if I’m aware of what’s going on, I can provide better support to her education from home. It does no good to go into any situation unprepard, and since I have issues when it comes to verbal human contact, having my ducks in a row is beneficial to all involved.

Besides, cupcakes are verboten in schools nowadays – they cause obesity and make have once looked upon a peanut with lust, or something like that.

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Seriously, I’ll bet it was. She’s been feeling left out, or so I understand.

Too bad she couldn’t make the appearance without the risk of having millions of small children simultaneously bursting into tears.

Cody1991 on September 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

It would be an interesting experiment to ask the little ones what he said after the speech. I think those parents who plan to have their students tape it is a great idea.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM

September 8 at 8 p.m. – Whew. It’s at night. Is there a pre speech during the day? I’ve emailed the school.

FerfeLaBat on September 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Me too. On this topic there is no kidding in anything I’ve posted.

ORconservative on September 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM

That’s a mighty big IF. Got to admit, Barry excels in talking about himself. Maybe he’ll inspire the kids with “I am the FIRST Affirmative Action President”.

GarandFan on September 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Hey,, God’s honest truth!!
I was just flipping channels while drinking some coffee,, came across a History Channel story on the beginnings of the electron microscope. The guy who invented it was in Nazi Germany,,, but this is the thing,,,, there was a small segment where THE ANNOUNCER MENTIONED HOW HITLER INTERTWINED HEALTH CARE WITH HIS SOCIAL AGENDA! Controlling health care was very important to Hitler until he had to divert his attention to the war!! This was emphasized!! Could not believe it!!
Don’t know how that one got by the producers!

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM

My wife is a spec ed teaching assistant, teaching the 3rd grade. I’ll find out what he said, if my county participates.

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Narcisscism again? What they can do to help the President? Not ‘what they can do to help the country’ which a Prez with a reasonably normal psyche would suggest.

jeanie on September 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

They already “know” about us dissenters.
They can hack these sites. Not to mention our emails.
They know.

We cannot let them intimidate us.

balkanmom2 on September 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

GET ON THE PHONES AND CALL THESE SCHOOL BOARDS AND FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON

THE UNION THUGS DIDN’T SCARE US AND NOW THEY ARE GOING TO USE YOUR KIDS, DOES THAT NOT BOTHER YOU?

AND ONE OTHER THING, ALL THIS AIDED AND ABETED BY THE MSM

I HOPE THEY ALL FAIL, FALL AND BREAK THEIR DAMN NECKS.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I’m an Aspie – I don’t do charming.

I do not doubt you, and that’s why I’m so grateful that this is your generation, not mine.

What a platform. I can’t imagine raising my kids with your attitude.

But whatever, it is YOUR generation. You get to live by the results.

I’ve raised my kid, and I live by my results, smart and stupid.

I do suspect some of you will end up alone on holidays. But that’s just my suspicion.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Hmmm… He put his giant head on my TV again today to tell me to wash my hands. There are constant messages in the forms of Obamamercials telling us to be good parents, spend time with my kids and read to them. And now the giant head is going to appear simultaneously across our Nation’s public schools?

WTF is going on?

Key West Reader on September 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM

“Please note that the time of this speech has changed to 12:00 noon eastern standard time.”

It’s two tiered. He gets them at noon and again on MTV at 8 pm.

Yeesh.

FerfeLaBat on September 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM

What. The. Hell.

I have a 7th and 11th grader. No way am I going to let them get propagandized by this Administration or make them declare “what they are going to do to help the President.”

This is madness!!!

rockmom on September 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM

jeanie on September 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Exactly

FerfeLaBat on September 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Key West Reader, I think we all (except for some prominent trolls who have been writing) know what’s going on.
Fight on!

balkanmom2 on September 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM

If this is during the day I will pull the kids out of school.

We’ll go get waffles.

Rockygold on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Yeah,,, I guess his kids are off limits but our kids are fair game!
Will he tell them to get in their parent’s faces and argue??
He ought to come up with a Junior Community Organizer Badge and decoder ring!
Yeah,, this could be the beginnings of something really great! Every Obama speech could contain a secret message for the Junior Organizers!

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Creepy that the memo also tells the teacher to prepare by reading books about the Presidency and BARAK OBAMA. They should also have the students write songs, essays and poems about the goals he sets for them. The goals should also be posted around the classroom. Maybe they should just write them all down in a little red book?

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Got news of this 20 minutes ago and have forwarded to 100 parents at my daughter’s private Catholic school. And the principal, who hasn’t decided yet. I suggested she make it an opt-in event, otherwise the kids stay in class.

The kicker, one parent who I emailed threw me under the bus with the principal, saying this should be up beat and sunny. Yeah, she wrote that. Word on the street is she dragged her kids to see Teddy lying in state. Probably wore back.

Well, this debate will be good for one thing – picking sides. If our principal decided to show it (apparently 2 minutes at 12 noon eastern), we’ll be keeping our kid home – it’s already a 4-day weekend. I’m hoping to get called in to sub, though. I want to be a witness.

P.S. Anyone with kids out there seeing the “Friends for Change” campaign on the Disney network?

gopmom on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I wonder if he will tell them to get in parents face and if parents bring a paddle for them to bring a piece. the thugs listened to him, he not going to teach them songs about Obamabi this time. Charles Manson style

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM

What a platform. I can’t imagine raising my kids with your attitude.

But whatever, it is YOUR generation. You get to live by the results.

I’ve raised my kid, and I live by my results, smart and stupid.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I honestly don’t understand what you’re saying. Would you rather parents not be involved in their children’s schooling (or be unprepared for such things as open houses or parent-teacher conferences)? Being pro-active is not a bad thing, whether in parenting or some other aspect of life. It’s also not being a helocopter parent – I do not qualify (hell, I’m on the computer, and my kids are nowhere around – I think they’re outside, eating dirt).

And frankly, you come off as a bit offensive, with that first sentence of yours. My children are quite fine, even with my neurological non-normalcy – my daughter is quite a social butterfly, go figure.

Anna on September 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Emily M. on September 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM

This is for grades preK-12, complete with a lesson plan. Here’s the letter the Secretary sent to principals.

ed.gov

Sorry if this is a repeat. I’m just working my way through the thread.

gopmom on September 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I think this boils down to – I just don’t trust President Obama with my kids even with teacher supervision. Bottom line.

FerfeLaBat on September 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM

So much for your kids having a mind of their own.

bluegrass on September 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I have a 7th and 11th grader
They are old enough for you to prepare them. My 11th grader challenges them everyday. My 8th grader writes anti-Obama essays that would please Glenn Beck (and they are a little extreme to boot, even I blush). Suggest that Obama stick to the Constitution, read the Federalist papers, re-commit to a war on terror. If you don’t have them on board yet then get busy! A little propaganda shouldn’t hurt those over age 11.

Haunches on September 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Sept. 9th, the day after the speech…

“USA! USA! USA!” is replaced by “OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!” in all of the schools across the nation…

… It will be illegal to hang any other Presidential Portrait in all class rooms other than Obamas,

ACORN and SEIU “monitors” will be placed in every Pre K – 6th grades…

Seven Percent Solution on September 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

He’s probably going to tell them that he is going to pay for everyone’s college education at a federally authorized instructional remediation facility. One can pick whichever facility they want to attend, but participation will be mandatory.

Don’t forget your shovels kids!!

Heftyjo on September 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Komsomol.

Terry_Dyne on September 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM

blue flu day

gatorboy on September 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Wethal on September 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM

You are quite right. Please forgive my error.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

That would be good. I am sure I have bored you with this before but I was a Special Ed. teaching assistant also, but for middle school age children. I never laughed so hard and appreciated my own kids more.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Obama would last 30 seconds in the grade school my kids attended. A polite boot out the door for that baby killer.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM