Obama’s next effort: a Children’s Crusade?

posted at 2:21 pm on September 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Drudge featured the breaking news story that Barack Obama would hold a nationwide speech for elementary-school children a week from today, touching off a flurry of e-mails wondering what Obama had in mind.  Will this be just an opportunity to learn more about government?  Or will Obama try pitching ObamaCare to the Sesame Street set?

The teaching guidelines don’t really give much of a hint:

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009

One does leap out: “Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President.” Is that an elective or a prerequisite for mathematics?

Presidents often visit classrooms and talk to students. It usually makes a good photo op to put the President with children who obviously enjoy the attention, and there’s no harm in it. It can be a good teaching moment for civics instruction, which this nation does poorly at delivering. The timing can even be explained as the first week in which all children will return to school, and since for many of them it will be their first day, it won’t interrupt their normal curriculum.

Still, the nationwide speech aspect of this is unprecedented, and a little odd. Coming as it does on the heels of a disastrous summer, it’s not surprising that people are suspicious, including the boss:

Will Obama be able to resist issuing a call to youth arms to marshal help in passing his legislative agenda?

The thing is: He won’t need to make the call explicit.

Obama zealot teachers like this one across the country will do all the extra-curricular bullying and haranguing for him.

They probably don’t need Obama pushing them to do that, anyway, although it will certainly give them more energy to do so.

If Obama sticks to education and personal achievement in his speech, there should be no controversy. Parents should prepare their children for the difference between political speeches and actual facts in any case, which will be a most useful education regardless of what Obama has to say in his speech.

Update: One of the first bloggers I ever read regularly, Venomous Kate from Electric Venom, says she’s sending her child to school instead of using a protest absence — and the coolness factor is one of the reasons. Be sure to read her take, and catch the implied lesson of parental involvement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Shhh! He’s an unknown secret czar.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Nah, he’s just some guy from the neighborhood.

thomasaur on September 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

“Give me four years to teach the children and
the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.” — Lenin

petefrt on September 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

He was wrong wasn’t he.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Keep your kids home. This isn’t good no matter how much benefit of the doubt is given. It’s over-reaching. And it’s to condition the kids to accept over-reaching. If it were anything else, he would have announced these plans sooner and he would have limited the scope.

itsacookbook on September 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

WashJeff, I hope you were joking!

4shoes on September 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

That I am, but it is believable.

WashJeff on September 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM

It really would not have surprised me.

4shoes on September 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

This made me ill! – fortunately, my kids have a half day on September 8th and we are in the Eastern Time Zone. Can’t imagine the indoctrination will start much before noon – otherwise there’s no Pacific Time Zone children being programmed. Oh wait – the West Coast is already teeming with nice little programmed children. I sense a swine flu outbreak in our household on September 7th – wouldn’t want to spread it around…

greengarnet on September 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Will they be reporting fishy letters to the White House?

Buy Danish on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Gosh, to be honest, I did listen to the weapons inspectors who kept asking for more time.
AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Well just for you, Ann, a recap. Hans Blix, in his last report to the UN before the invasion, reported that Saddam would not account for tens of thousands of liters of anthrax, sarin gas, etc. that the inspectors had verified and CATALOGUED themselves before Saddam kicked them out on Clinton’s watch (1998 I believe). Their charter incidentally was not to find WMD but to oversee their destruction after Saddam listed them himself in accordance with the 1991 ceasefire.

Patrick S on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I’ve emailed my child’s teacher asking if she has heard anything about this and to inform me if they will be required to watch. My child will not be sitting through this.

espnjunkie on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

14.5M people are out of work Ann. Don’t you think the effing President should be doing something more constructive than indoctrinating school children? I used to attribute your moronic comments to well-intentioned but misguided liberalism but I’m quickly coming to the conclusion you truly are a moron if you think this is the time to lighten up.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I understand. I simply disagree. People need to be allowed to move forward. The public really can’t handle all this negativity. (I also get that I’m on-line a lot, so it’s way more than the average person sees.)

But I disagree with the philosophy that’s being promoted. My experience is that we’ll get through this. What I’d like to see out of government is seeding and promoting policies that support growth economically. I listen to both the right and the left, since I think the extremes are both wrong. I think the middle is the answer.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Guess a lot of kids will be sick next Tuesday.

rpjones68 on September 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I betcha it is about the National Day of Service. Let your kids of all ages know what the solemn day of 9/11 is really all about. It is not about service to The State. It is about remembering The Fallen.

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM

“He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.” ~ Adolf Hitler

scullymj on September 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I do not mind the instruction, but it would of been nice to have a heads up since we do have younger kids in our household. Let alone a field trip off school property without parents knowledge. We did sign a waiver form for transportation for Field Trips for the entire year, however parents should know the whereabouts of there children always! We had no idea there was field trip yesterday. After hearing about the subject matter, it doesn’t surprise me they did not want to inform us of the off property Sex Ed class.

Atlanta Media Guy on September 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I have never heard of such a waiver. Go to the school and rip that up post haste.

I’d also make a stink with the superintendent and school board immediately. Skip the principal and go to the top.

Disturb the Universe on September 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Patrick S on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I remember that, too. It was all pretty confusing.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

So had it been Hans Blix and the United Nations Weapons Inspectors who said Saddam had WMD, would you have believed it then?

Patrick S on September 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Dang! I was sure it was Colonel Mustard in the Library with the thermo-nuclear warhead.

Seriously, the hypocrisy isn’t even worth noting anymore. Democrats and liberals are not worth fretting about when it comes to fairness or consistency. They’ll never see just how biased they are and it isn’t worth the effort to debate stupid people on obvious points.

We need to take the filthy liar in the White House down on each and every point of his socialist agenda. We need to fight back when he goes out after our children. We need to protect this nation for the future generations and that means remaining focused on killing the Obama agenda.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Obama-Jugend.

atheling on September 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I asked her to find out what the topic is and the duration of the talk and if parents can attend. I suggest that others do the same and report back here and compare notes.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Great idea.

Sept. 8 is also the day after Labor Day. I would imagine that a short school week will make it even more difficult for schools to schedule this brand new directive from the WH.

Missy on September 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I love it. This will backfire spectacularly. The leftist ideology is so predictable. Chavez just took over “education” this past week too.

elduende on September 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I think this may be a key difference. I simply can’t imagine thinking that I’m the answer for the future.

Do you not wince at that arrogance?

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM

These people are real people. I don’t know when or how the presidency became so galvanizing and powerful, but I think you’ll find I always counsel….lighten up.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

You didn’t answer my question. I asked if the teacher asked your kids to help Bush. You know that his agenda was pro-war. Would you want your kid to come home all gungho?

You counsel? What does that mean? Are you providing your wisdom to us. Thanks but no thanks. I’m not lightening up while socialism and all its trouble just rolls on in.

Your president’s mistakes are not mistakes. They are calculated steps to fulfill his agenda. History repeats itself. We’ve seen his kind before.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Writing journals of self-examination and criticism is one step in Communist “correction and re-education”

Chris_Balsz on September 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I did some crack research and found some advance multiple choice on the bullet pertaining to: “Write to themselves about what they can do to help the president.” Here’s the top approved responses:
A. I can pull the plug on Grandma and/or Grandpa. They’re just pulling valuable resources from goonion slush funds. Go Dear Leader go.
B. I can fast my brains out during Ramadan. Maybe I can fast until I drop dead, lessening my burden on the S-Chip program.
C. I can send an email to flag@whitehouse.goon about my neighbor Joe who always flys flags on American “holidays” or “memorials,” which are usually days all about some ugly American massacre of people of color.
D. I can offer myself up as a townhall shill, asking my congress-he/she to give everyone national healthcare so that we all get to wait in line at underfunded clinics. Hope they have lollipops. Or maybe I can pretend to be a doctor, like all doctors who pretend to love Dear Leader’s ambergris.
E. I can join the New Black Panther Party and prevent voters from entering the booth while activists stuff ballots for Dear Leader.

Western_Civ on September 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

The public really can’t handle all this negativity.

Exactly AnninCA, after eight straight years of it from “progressives”, we’re all fresh out of negativity.

Time to be positive and to embrace the progressive future, you evil-mongering, un-American, Nazi mobs you.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I don’t know what’s going to happen on September 8th, but I know on September 9th he’ll be able to cross “infuriate all American children” from his bucket list.

Chuck Schick on September 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM

“Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President.”

The Narcissist in Chief strikes again. It’s not about the country. Nope. It’s all about the O.

Queasy on September 1, 2009 at 3:13 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

What priyatel precisely does Chairman Soetoro trying to indoctrinate my son have to do with any “middle road”?

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I also knew, 9/11 just killed people. They were after revenge. I remember knowing we’d go to war over it, even if it wasn’t logical.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Sure many were after revence but justice and self-protection is never illogical.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

This presentation to students may be tied into his “Turn 9/11 into an Earth Day/Day of Service and forget about radical Islam” move.

9/11 is a day of service. History is being rewritten.

3000+ people murdered by Muslim terrorists? Down the memory hole. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia…..

Wethal on September 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Just.Ignore.Her.

misslizzi on September 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Are the kiddies gonna get cute li’l arm bands?

Akzed on September 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Are the kiddies gonna get cute li’l arm bands?

Akzed on September 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Maybe hand out brown shirts.

Wethal on September 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Where is the text of the speech? Is there somewhere we can read that, I can’t find it on the DOE site.

The prep & after speech materials don’t deal with the Office of the President or the operations of the US Government.

Kids learn about the office of the President and the rest of the US government in their History/Social Studies lessons. Each grade has a grade level lesson and grade level materials – not a general message from the President. Or for that matter the Speaker of the House, The Chief Justice, The Secretary Of State, Governor, Lt Governor Etc.

What is in the Speech? Where is the text?

batterup on September 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Anne better learn to like the taste, because I am giving back leftwing noise machine for 8 years back from the right in spades…..

Moonbats like Anne don’t get to crap on MY President for 8 years and then go “oh well it’s now time for civility and change”….

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

does Chairman Ogabe’s war on the UStaxpayer seem like an “illogical revenge” to you comrade Anne?

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Brilliant. I think you’re right. I’m sending emails to all my friends who have children to give them a heads up. One person I spoke to a few minutes ago was furious.

Cody1991 on September 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM

So a compromise between two incorrect (as you believe) choices, is the right answer.

So if one side says 1+1=0 and the other says 1+1=10, you’d say 1+1=5.

Got it.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Blech! How creepy! This makes me feel like I want to throw up! I’ll be keeping my kid home that day with hopes that the feeling is contagious.

TWG78 on September 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom.

Interview and share about their goals with one another to create a supportive community.

How nice. Card Check for Kiddies.

Rocks on September 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

As a former teacher (and current PR manager) what I see in this lesson plan is lots of propoganda (appeal to authority) and very little critical thinking components. IMHO, what we “old fashioned” teachers called the Dog and Pony Show.

Also, I thought there is an interesting correlation in some of the material in the lesson plan and this book (Malkin has a great blog on her site) “50 Ways You Can Help Obama Change America, Huttner and Salzman.

from Malkin’s site:

“This book is a great resource to help the President change America by encouraging young people to embrace their civic responsibilities. During his campaign, Obama empowered all of us to take part in initiating change and it’s imperative that we keep that momentum going by involving the next generation.”
—Jessica Alba

an I think Bishop has a great idea about sending our kids to school with Glenn Beck, O’Reilly, Palin and McCain t-shirts….. or good old fashioned Constitutional slogans.

2nd Ammendment Mother on September 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

“He who controls the youth, Owns the Future” or some such bullsh!t was said by Adolf Hitler.

Good to see the socialist COmmander in Thief is taking queues from the great socialist of the 20th century.

BillaryMcBush on September 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

This isn’t just elementary. It goes all the way through 12th.

These are some of the discussion points from the 7-12 guidelines:

* What resonated with you from President Obama’s speech?
* What are the three most important words in the speech? Rank them.
* What title would you give this speech? What’s the thesis?
* What is President Obama inspiring you to do? What is he challenging you to do?

My biggest concern is that some PrObama teachers will turn this into an in-class rally. My freshman son is going to be prepared.

conchonchon on September 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I think both Bush and Obama and Clinton and Bush, for that matter, respect differences of opinions far more than you give them credit for. None of them would abuse this.

I’m serious. I think this is a “stirring the pot” kind of story. It reminds me of a lot of the far-left junk against Palin.

What I’m asserting here? The real people are sick of both sides.

STFU. There, I spit it out. Poll after poll should inform you. People aren’t anymore impressed with this far-right stuff than they are of far-left. I feel like a lot of people who aren’t ideological nuts are having a hard time getting through the media filters.

We don’t want EITHER!

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I’m the father of a high school senior who is both conservative and a devout Christian. I’m sending him to school that day with an audio recorder and instructions to watch his teachers and his fellow students for reactions, and then report back to me.

MBuck on September 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM

PRESIDENT OBAMA TO DELIVER NATIONALLY BROADCAST ADDRESS TO STUDENTS ON SEPT. 8

The President will deliver a speech about the importance of persisting and succeeding in school on Sept. 8, the first day of school for many children across America. The Department of Education is encouraging educators, students and parents to use this opportunity to help students get focused and begin the school year strong. The speech will be broadcast live on http://www.whitehouse.gov at 1 p.m. EDT. The Department of Education has also asked a group of U.S. Department of Education Teaching Ambassador Fellows to develop some suggested classroom activities around the speech to help engage students and stimulate discussion on the importance of education in their lives. The suggested classroom activities will be available on http://www.ed.gov.

Here’s how the President described the speech in a recent interview with 11 year-old reporter Damon Weaver yesterday: “On Sept. 8, when young people across the country will have just started or are about to go back to school, I’m going to be making a big speech to young people all across the country about the importance of education, the importance of staying in school, how we want to improve our education system, and why it’s so important for the country. And so I hope everybody tunes in.”

The following link gives a list of suggested classroom activities:

I’m kind of mixed on how I feel about this. The schools have an option to even show the speech. But it does have a taste of control that I don’t like. As has been stated here, this is unprecedented to have the President prepare a speech and activities for the schools nationwide. A little too much effort went into this.

CBP on September 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Well, except Saddam wasn’t the real issue. I’m still hopeful that Bush’s calculation will end up being vindicated. It could be we end up with a real foot-hold in the middle east, and that’ll be worth the loss of lives.

We’ll see. Only history will reveal that one.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Propaganda … And it should be labeled as such …

tarpon on September 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM

What I’m asserting here? The real people are sick of both sides.

We don’t want EITHER!

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Well Anne in Mexifornia you got one extreme’s Chief Butt in the Seat right now….and he is planning on trying to turn MY son into an Obamabot.

“Not gonna happen”….

oh and I am certain you would have been PERFECTLY fine with Bush trying to turn your child into a drone for Social Security Reform….

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I never got the far-left screaming over Bush. Still don’t. That’s probably why I voted McCain. I think both fringe sides are neurotic, to be honest.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Do you not wince at that arrogance?

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Arrogant? No.

What is a “social movement” but a group of like minded individuals?

It’s not arrogant to stand up, promote your beliefs and try to make the world a better place.. civilly.

Or are you arrogant because you do the same here?

*I* am the hope for my future (and hopefully those of others).

“In every revolution, there is one man with a vision.”

Skywise on September 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Time to move on to the pitchforks and torches.

cjs1943 on September 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

This is so lib,, it just makes me want to puke.
We all know what he wants to say,,, it just comes down to what he thinks he will be able to get away with. How much panic and crisis can he spread at school How many kids can he turn against their parents. He’ll certainly have the support of the teachers.
This is what you get with a school run by Washington.
A nice little captive audience. I would expect, in time, he’ll be giving weekly addresses. Kids will be encouraged to recite the Pledge to Obama thing each morning. Then come the uniforms and the little “blue books!”

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Funny… since this story came out, I’ve been watching the wording on the Teacher’s Guide on the Dept of Eds website (you can see it here in MS Word) and it has been changed several times… getting a little milder each time.

For example, an original draft asked how students can help Obama achieve his goals. That is now gone. There are other similar examples.

Comment on Michelle’s site.

Wethal on September 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Anne you are either the perfect example of a McCain fan or a Moby…I’m seldom sure which which is I suppose, a testament to John McCain in some way.

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM

“Children. E-mail Sesameflag@whitehouse.gov if your parents do not support National Healthcare….

percysunshine on September 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I object to the concept no matter what the content.

Exactly.

If he talks to them about the importance of education, that’s great. But kids don’t get an education to help the President.

As my son just said, these questions are all written to push kids in the direction of explaining why the President is right. Where is the question about “When is it important to listen to the President” or “Do you agree with these ideas?”

MayBee on September 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Thank god for summer vacations. It gives the kids a chance to reconnect with mom and dad and to disconnect with school. I suppose that is why the libs hate summer vacation so much and would like to see it ended!

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

You know, I blog at a progressive site, too. They have the exact same attitude.

They want all moderates kicked out and history. Ditto for this site. You want only those who agree with you, and you hate people who aren’t hard-edged.

Here’s what I’ve concluded from a very thorough time on-line and listening. Both sides are extreme. And real people need to ask hard questions, figure out what their real priorities are, and vote accordingly. We’ve entered into the age where party identification means nothing.

I shifted to Independent, and the more I read and talk, the more I realize that was smart. I’ll vote for someone sane who has the ability to compromise and not throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

Neither the far-left or the far-right will ever be happy. I’m frankly convinced that’s the way they want it.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Fan is too strong. I did vote for him.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Anyway, I’m really excited about Chavez’s call for reading circles. I admit when I first read about it I was a bit sceptical, Chavez has a lot of cool ideas and sometimes he’s a bit ahead of everyone else with the things he calls for. But here they are, materialising. The ministries of culture and education are organising them, and I’m so happy to be one of the ones assigned to getting the reading circles set up in my communal council. We need to have at least 4 teacher kind of people signed up to being involved. Once we hand in the documentation for that, one of the ministries will send someone out to teach us how to go about the rest- how to set up the circles, what to do, how to get books etc.

Sometimes, we can get lost or lose perspective a bit, without a group like the Socialist Front, I think. In the patrullas (patrols)(the new organising form of the PSUV), or in the communal council, there isn’t a lot of space for Marxist analysis (although that should happen in the PSUV, but if it does, its at a more basic level) or for constructive criticism of the revolution (or complementing the revolution as well). That is, basically, there’s no where for cadre revolutionaries to talk together. Well, in the absence of a good revolutionary party, the Front provides that space.

elduende on September 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

History of America’s past
To be buried in darkness and shadows cast
Erased through all eternity
The crying of humanity

‘Tis when the Hurdy Gurdy ObamaMan
Comes singing children songs of Marxist love
‘Tis when the Hurdy Gurdy Obama Man
Comes singing children songs of Marxist love

MB4 on September 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

It’s probably nothing to worry about.

He will probably just be saying the Pledge of Allegiance with them.

cntrlfrk on September 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Hitler used to work awful hard on the kids too.

jukin on September 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

But I do think a lot of Michelle’s comments appeal to a fairly radical right side. I like her, personally, but she’s way out there poltically speaking. So this is her blog, and I can understand why so many here are in agreement.

You’re not as big as Huffington Post, but the tenor is the same. :)

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

And just exactly what the hell would you have had us do in response? 3,000 American citizens died on 9/11/01, many of them jumping from the 100th floor of a skyscraper to avoid being burned alive. At the time, no one had any clue what other follow-up attacks may have already been in the works, and how many lives those attacks might take. So what were we supposed to do, if not go after the people who attacked us and prevent them from attacking us again?

Oh yeah, that’s right, as far as the left is concerned that question has already been answered; we should have built more day care centers in Afghanistan. That, and not fly the American flag.

Gator Country on September 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I’ve paid tens of thousands of to support public schools and it revolts me that the people who run our schools would never allow a President that I would vote for, to do this.

Public schools suck on just so many levels.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Perhaps Mao Tse-Tung’s cultural revolution is a better comparison… As Mao was losing power to the bureaucrats in the party and his charismatic leadership was becoming routinized, he turned to the children and used them to get rid of his political enemies (and quite a few other folks in the bargin). Not saying we have a nascent red army brewing but jeez…..

Audacity indeed.

Venril on September 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Fan is too strong. I did vote for him.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

which is why I lean to “Moby”….

anyone that thinks Chairman Soetoro is a “moderate” needs be asked “compared to what-Stalin?”

I can’t recall the evil Chimpy McShrub Haliburton playing these games and had he tried the NEA would have erupted but Chairman Ogabe gets all ties to break in his favor.

My son will either be sick that day or the “tv” will be off at school.

No in between.

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

“In every revolution, there is one man with a vision.”

Skywise on September 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Well, I leave a lot of room for plain ole’ mistakes. Bush was wrong about WMD. Obama is wrong about his mandate.

But what I do love about our system? We vote. Like clockwork.

And we get to check our own voting mistakes.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Believe me, the parents of this age kid are quick to comment about ANYTHING that remotely offends them. This is the generation of helicopter moms and dads. My friends are on red-alert constantly.

I have real problems with parents like this, but that’s another topic.

AnninCA

Note how you and your public schoolteacher friends disparage parents as “helicopter moms and dads” for daring to intrude on the teachers’ domain. Yes, the NEA and Dept. of Education know better than parents, right?

rokemronnie on September 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

My son will either be sick that day or the “tv” will be off at school.

No in between.

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

A parent’s perogative. But my son is grown. I could tell you how some of these actions turn out in the end. *haha

(I doubt you want to hear it.)

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

AnninCA- As an independent, you must surely want children to learn to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions.
You surely don’t want them taught to do things for the President, be rewarded by the school for doing so, and being told to explain why listening to the President and other elected officials is important.
That is the opposite of critical thinking- which is essential for independence.

MayBee on September 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Get you stinkin’ filthy Commie hands off my grandson, you POS

bill30097 on September 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

rokemronnie on September 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Helicopter moms and dads are at the school nearly daily, complaining out some injustice to their kid. They worry over ever single junior high joke and call it “bullying.” They never let their children out of eye-sight. Heaven knows!

I personally think they are highly selfish. They prefer to feed their own egos. They were GOOD parents. Meanwhile, they neglect the real job of parenting, which has always been to produce adults who can make decisions, face consequences and, sometimes, flat-out, survive life.

I have no respect for over-parenting. Really.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

(I doubt you want to hear it.)

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Nah I’d be thrilled…..just like I’d be thriled to have a “moderate” Californian explain to me why forcing kids to pretend to be Muslim Jihadis for a week or two is ok, but forcing kids to pretend to be catholic is an example of Theocracy….

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

He manages a bathouse in San Fransicko?

bill30097 on September 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Exactly, produce a non-Democrat, in short.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

“Hello, everyone. I’m sorry. Whoops, wrong speech.”

LibTired on September 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

(I doubt you want to hear it.)

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Noone here gives a tinker’s damn what you say or think except as a piece of scum to vent our spleen on.

bill30097 on September 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I have no respect for over-parenting. Really.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

If the NEA wants control over more kids maybe they should have some of their own….

the nation managed to make it 200 some years without Mr. Cult of Personality types trying to personally indoctrinate them left or right….

“change”

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?

This is one of the topics for discussions??
This just sickens me. This is pathetic.
He can not win over the adults so he goes to the children,,, like the little sniveling manchild he is!

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Time to move on to the pitchforks and torches.

cjs1943 on September 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Way past that stage dude. It is April 18, 1775

bill30097 on September 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

espnjunkie on September 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Every parent needs to do this.

Connie on September 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Dow 9,312.64 -183.64 (-1.93%)
NASDAQ 1,970.98 -38.08 (-1.90%)
S&P 1,000.98 -19.64 (-1.92%)

Chairman Soetoro indoctrinating my kid….”taking care of the things that really matter”….

the punchline is Weekend at Bernkake is making noise of monetary contraction….ie the printing press economy that is artficially propping up the market will be ending…..the argument is ’10, ’11, or ’12….

you’ll know he is a Barry fan if he waits ’til late ’12.

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM

STFU.

Thanks for the counsel. I think you should lighten up.

We don’t want EITHER!

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Are we talking about far-right stuff? No. We are talking about socialism/marxism. This argument is lame unless you can give me a demonstration of this far-right stuff that is just as equally comparable. You can’t. I agree that people wanted a change. They wanted to pretend that terrorists would leave us alone if we pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan. They wanted to go back to watching their big screen TVs and eating their delivered Pizzas while ignoring realities of real terror.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM

He can not win over the adults so he goes to the children

Maybe they’re thinking of extending the vote to school aged children.

Hell, Democrats would extend the vote to fetuses if they weren’t also in favor of killing them.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Every parent needs to do this.

Connie on September 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Indeed…and I’ll go to jailo over it if need be.

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I doubt you want to hear it.)

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

The first thing that you have gotten right today.

thomasaur on September 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM

The first thing that you have gotten right today.

thomasaur on September 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM

No I’d be thrilled…I’d be even more thrilled if she’d answer why “I was a teenage Jihadi” is okay in Mexifornian eyes but a moment of silence isn’t…

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM

That is the opposite of critical thinking- which is essential for independence.

MayBee on September 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

You kidding me? I sympathize with you guys only because I can’t TELL you the indigestion that comes from truly producing kids who think independently.

I now understand my parents. :)

I still think it’s the right attitude, but I frankly couldn’t recommend it to my best friend.

I do see the helicopter parenting stuff as nearly dysfunctional. Not in the same ballpark.

But don’t get me wrong. To really let your kids go?

That is way hard, folks.

Yet, honestly, do you know a single family where kids agree with their parents politically at holidays? Isn’t that why everyone “hates” going home?

So I can’t believe my experience is way off track. It’s pretty normal.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I don’t see the point. Are schools required to show Dear Leader?

Sounds like a whole wasted day, when they could be learning. They only get 180 days, barely.

They already wasted a good chunk of time on Dear Leader back in January.

Sept. 8? Kids are just starting to get back into the swing of things (depends on when you start, but my kids just went back today). So a week into the new year, Dear Leader is going to disrupt it all.

I guess he feels that his mug has been plastered all over television when elementary kids are in bed, they need some exposure, too.

These kids have better things to do than worrying about helping the president. Help your own community first, and everything else will fall into place. This is utter BS.

reaganaut on September 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Keep your kids home that day, parents.

The Pied Piper of Chicago is coming for them.

newton on September 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM

He’ll give a talk on democracy and participation, and that’ll be that.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Democracy??? From Der Leader??? Surely you jest.

And participation in what? How to re-distribute wealth? How to be a Chicago thug? How to be a corrupt politician? How to murder unborn children?

My grandchildren are home-schooled and being raised with Biblical morals and values. Thank God they won’t be in some school on Sept. 8th.

GrannyDee on September 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I didn’t agree with my parents when I was stupid enough to swallow all of the nonsense I learned at public school and through the media.

Then I grew up, got a job, lived in the real world and yes, I completely agree with my parents politically. They despise Democrats as much or more than I do.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Oh that’s RIGHT! The OBAMA NATIONAL DAY OF SERVICE is 9/11!

GunRunner on September 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I have told my boys since Jan. 20th that obama wants to take my money so I can’t buy them toys, and they can’t stand him, but they do love Sarah!

ConservativePartyNow on September 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Haven’t read the thread, so apologies to anyone who asked the same question:

Will the kids get to report parents who have “fishy” facts about Obamacare? Maybe just the e-mail addresses?

And how about brown shirts for the kids with that nifty Barry logo?

ManUFan on September 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM

The far-right and far-left are easy to group together if you don’t give living examples of them. You throw these words around easily but you know that you can’t find an immediate and living example of a far-right radical.

Where are these far-right radicals? Who are they? What is so radical that they are proposing?

Even during Bush’s administration you cannot give me an example.

Maybe it was Bush’s war mongering? Please. You said yourself he did the best he thought he should do.

You, middle roader, are all rhetoric with no substance.

Obama is trying to remake this great nation into something completely unrecognizable to the founding fathers you can’t find the contrary from the “far-right” you ramble about.

shick on September 1, 2009 at 3:55 PM