Video: The greatest local news story ever?

posted at 4:15 pm on August 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

A palate cleanser via Videogum and Red Eye’s own Andy Levy, declaring this to be the absolute pinnacle of its genre. He’s wrong — this is the pinnacle — but he’s not far off the mark. What are the odds, my friends, that the bottom of a stiff-bristled broom would be so uniformly flat as to let it stand on its own? One in, er, 100, maybe? Or is it silly to ask about probability where the hand of the Holy Spirit is so clearly at work?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m pretty sure South Park parodied the “Everyone who’s seen the leprechaun say Yaaay” part of the other video, but I had never seen the source before. Now I want to know if I can actually go back and prove that South Park parodied it.

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Esthier on August 31, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I think it’s ironic (the statement: It’s the whole metaphor of something mystical/unexplainable having a scientific explanation if you look hard enough), because it requires faith of it’s own. I.e. that which hasn’t been explained can be explained. That’s faith in science. Which is fine, but it’s still a belief, still faith.

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Allah, the broom story is silly, granted, but please tell me where the universe came from, why it is here, and where was ‘here’ when the universe wasn’t? Call it the Green Bunny of Queasy Weirdness if you prefer, but this agnostic think’s “God” is a nice tidy word for it. Atheism indeed – just another kind of faith, if you ask me.

jeffthevoter on August 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Why? Atheists are no less guilty of pure, belligerent idiocy.

Maybe next you’ll show us how empiricism and logical positivism leads to a coherent, complete metaphysics. Oh wait.

spmat on August 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM

If your broom is erect for more than 4 hours…

faraway on August 31, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Bleh.. “lead to a” not “leads to a”

spmat on August 31, 2009 at 4:57 PM

It’s the whole metaphor of something mystical/unexplainable having a scientific explanation if you look hard enough.

Allahpundit on August 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM

ok so you channel Tim…I got it…;)

jerrytbg on August 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Rue, for one, is still surprised they made it all back intact. “Being that close to the IED blast and everyone walking away — that’s a miracle,” he says. “Receiving such heavy fire down an exit point without getting shot — that’s a miracle. And two guys getting shot and not getting hurt. That’s in the category of a miracle, too.”

I guess this is an atheist’s kryptonite.

Matticus Finch on August 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM

“God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.”

itsacookbook on August 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM

“He’s wrong — this is the pinnacle — but he’s not far off the mark.”

I never get tired of that clip……….

……….. absolutely hilarious.

By the way……..

………. some of you need to lighten up. As Allah stated, this was “A palate cleanser …….”

Seven Percent Solution on August 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Though the number of comments will go up if a fight ensues over atheism/believing in gods, it would be so much nicer if the thread would remain what it is, a goofy topic, for entertainment only.

Laugh, or fight, or whatever…must be the sun.

Schadenfreude on August 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Over 100 comments and no one thought about it being Sweeps Week?

Mr. D on August 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Allahpundit on August 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Which is a fundamentally un-scientific statement, you religious nut.

Fail.

spmat on August 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Found the South Park clip: Who is Mysterion?

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

It may have, if not for Allah’s little “pure heroin” comment right at the end there, squirming on the end of the hook.

jeffthevoter on August 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM

It’s that bad acid trip during Fantasia all the hell over again.

BrideOfRove on August 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Looks like a commercial for the new consignment shop to me.

NoLeftTurn on August 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Bingo. I’m a small business owner and tomorrow when I’m back in the shop I’m going to check all my brooms and mops and anything else to see if I have a “mystery” that can get me free advertising.

freemo on August 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Sorry if anyone else has posted this: She’s a witch

Jack Ketch on August 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Seven Percent Solution on August 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, no kidding. Science forbid we chat about one of AP’s favorite topics here.

Or did you mean lighten up on the use of ellipses? ;)

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Given the atheist comment, you’d think the whole news story was centered around the Holy Spirit was making the broom stand up, yet it was said as a side comment at the very end.

slow news and blogging day I see.

jp on August 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM

:O)

Seven Percent Solution on August 31, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I question the brooms’ timing.

Coronagold on August 31, 2009 at 5:11 PM

That strikes me as the perfect town to start a marching band. I bet the funds would be handed over quickly and my magic instruments would be a big success.

Hening on August 31, 2009 at 5:12 PM

We do these news stories to keep y’all from coming down here! Just a bunch of hicks, clinging to our religion, guns, and pots o’ gold. Nothing to see here, move along.

doginblack on August 31, 2009 at 5:13 PM

AP, only because I love you……

“He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.”

Matthew 12:30–32 (NIV)

Hening on August 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Allahpundit on August 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I understand that’s the motto of this year’s gay pride parade. It’s genetic, I tell you, genetic! We’ll find that gene

… eventually

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Please, please, please someone find her and get her to admit on tape she voted for Obama. Please!

gopmom on August 31, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I could see the image of Christ in the bristles….

right2bright on August 31, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Its more illiterate local news with it’s horrible grammar all over it’s airwaves.

Dave Rywall on August 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM

gopmom on August 31, 2009 at 5:17 PM

What difference would that make to anything? The broomstanding wing of the democratic party is so huge?

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM

When I was a kid we had the same type of broom only yellow and I stood it up all the time. I don’t think she was serious about the “Holy Spirit” but, the outlet theory is too precious.

ronsfi on August 31, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Apologies if someone else mentioned this, but maybe the broom is posessed?

What ever happened to that broom of Pelosi’s, you know the one she traded for the jet.

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Yep, Look at the parking lot of the Wicca convention.

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Yep, Look at the parking lot of the Wicca convention.

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I wouldn’t even know where to find one.

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM

WitchDoctor on August 31, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that! ^^;;

*measures him against duck* What? Nothing going on here… ^^;;

Orange Doorhinge on August 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM

More of a “some people will believe anything” thing than a Dem thing, I think.

gopmom on August 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Allahpundit on August 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM

… eventually

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Cripes…I’m not even going to get into that crud with you…but it’s amazing how you worked your homophobia into a thread on a mystical broom…kudos…

As for Allah’s statement, yes…a silly broom has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit. But alas, there are many miracles attributed to, say, more enlightened spiritual activity. Atheists can’t debunk them all…

Just sayin’

JetBoy on August 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Dave Rywall on August 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Did you intentionally use horrible grammar here?

thevastlane on August 31, 2009 at 5:29 PM

heh…Or I simply could say:

Hillary left her ride at the store again…of course, The One had touched it once, giving it extra mysticality.

JetBoy on August 31, 2009 at 5:30 PM

JetBoy on August 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Yeah, the gene can be seen on Obama’s Birth Certificate!

/Everyone knows that.

Serious question, actually. Did you say that bc of history or do you think that non-gene theory is homophobic?

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM

This is really no different than balanceing a fork and a spoon with a toothpick over a glass of water…
simple physics…
agreed Allah…

jerrytbg on August 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Sigh. I can’t even bring myself to watch.

John on August 31, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM

He thought finding a girlfriend for the penguin was homophobic.

TMK on August 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I’m not impressed. Now if the broom starts sweeping the floor…

Deanna on August 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I’d love to get into this with ya, but I guess it would be WAY OT for this thread…so I digress.

Suffice to say that I only say “homophobic” because Ronnie seemed to pull that out of the blue to make a statement.

JetBoy on August 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I wouldn’t even know where to find one.

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM

At one of Pelosi’s town halls.

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I’m not impressed. Now if the broom starts sweeping the floor…

Deanna on August 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM

For sure!

JetBoy on August 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Heroin for creationists

Theworldisnotenough on August 31, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I noticed a few people who posted it made sure to get in digs at Alabamians. Being as I was raised north of Prattville, I really wasn’t amused. This is just one of those silly little stories that airs as filler after the noon news. Remember Cheesus? I don’t know if the broom stands because of pysics, the power of God, or magnetic bristles. It is a great idea to help promote a small business in a town that is extremely depressed right now. The unemployment numbers are always astronomical in that area. I hope the broom stands for her as long as she wants and can get business out of it.

Cindy Munford,

My guess, and its just a stab, is that she is more than likely a Repub voter.It is a predominantly black area, but black and white there tend to be church going folks.

di butler on August 31, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Now a broom, on E.D. drugs.

Can’t wait for the 24/7 commercials, showing a woman caressing her upright broom. Tag Line: Take X, and sweep her off her feet.

TXUS on August 31, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I’m not impressed. Now if the broom starts sweeping the floor…

Deanna on August 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Only thing missing is the mouse in the blue pointed hat.

Orange Doorhinge on August 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Sure, but I don’t get why. What does someone else’s belief have to do with an atheist?

Esthier on August 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Hey AP – how’s about a little introspection? Why would you care what goofy stuff other people believe?

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 31, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Truth be told, I don’t think about atheists all that much.

thegreatbeast on August 31, 2009 at 5:51 PM

JetBoy on August 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Homophobia? How the hell would you know what I’m afraid of? I’m talking about having faith in science when no scientific evidence exists. That’s a perfect example, and that’s the topic according to AP’s comment.

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 6:08 PM

It’s the ghost of Ted Kennedy cursed to roam forever in resale shops listening to endless female prattle.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 6:10 PM

I don’t know all the facts, but the broom acted stupidly.

Tom_OC on August 31, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM

To be homophobic, I would have to care what gay people do, and I don’t. It was just an observation about AP’s science-explains-all argument. JetBoy felt threatened by it and pulled out the Liza card. I frankly don’t care what JetBoy sticks his ding dong in, but if he claims to be born that way, he does so without any evidence to support it.

Ronnie on August 31, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Ha. Both examples from my home state…

The lead anchor is my cousin. He’s been with that station, with the exception of a hiatus, for as long as I can remember. The Leprechaun story does put the others to shame, though…

tdau1997 on August 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM

You guys realize that this clip is pure heroin to atheists, right?

Don’t kill my buzz man…

elfman on August 31, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Bleh.. “lead to a” not “leads to a”

spmat on August 31, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Welcome, Deputy spmat.

GrammarPolice on August 31, 2009 at 6:20 PM

So, when some die it’s unfortunate but when they make it (unscathed) it’s a miralce. I hope there’s a DD form for the issuance of these miracles so that I can get a jump on it. Seems there’s only a few chance slots.

whiskeytango on August 31, 2009 at 6:33 PM

If this is “pure heroin” to Atheists it confirms what I have known all along. Atheist do not REALLY spend time to research and think through the many (and involved) arguments for the existence of God. If they did they would know this video would not even be in the running for even the most basic notice. Atheism is the lazy person’s view of life.

paraff on August 31, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Perhaps this is evidence of the fairy tale of Darwin’s evolution. The broom is evolving into an up-right vacuum.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 6:58 PM

“I can do that.”

/biden’s plugs

LibTired on August 31, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Did you catch the grade 6 grammar error in that piece?

Broom Stands On It’s Own.

Oy Vey, where is the quality control? Yea, I know. It’s mainstream media. No quality control.

keep the change on August 31, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I believe in Ghosts and Goblins and Faries and Trolls.

The wee wee people too. The broom had a smurf-like color to it I notice right away. Ever see Toy-Story? These kinds of things happen all the time when adults are not looking. But I know they happen.

I thought Jeraldo Rivera would be all over this story.

Thanks Allah. More please.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:04 PM

That’s Hilliary’s broom.

keep the change on August 31, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Maybe GM can mass produce it.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Sticks grew bristles due to selection pressure. Then they learned how to stand erect over millions of years until man came along and put them to closets. They lost the ability because of Man.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Over millions of years they have learned to defy gravity so one day they’ll walk up-right and become the broom-man.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Why? So you can push these poor creatures around at your whim?

They have been swept into near extinction and you are making a joke about. Typical conservative.

I am reporting you to PETB (People for the Ethical Treatment of Brooms. And I am giving them another $15 donation just because of you.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM

This place is just a few miles from where I live. I am going to try and go snap a few pics in the next few days.

Shivendragon on August 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Bumpkins are highly entertaining.

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Why? So you can push these poor creatures around at your whim?

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM

LOL…now remember how the evolution myth works, survival of fittest, if the broom man can’t survive, too bad.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Holy Mother of God. Allah is right.

This puts the Onion to shame.

They never showed the leprechaun, only a composite Police sketch.

Too Funny.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM

HILLARY LEFT IT DURING A PRIMARY 2008 VISIT?

PappyD61 on August 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM

“Paging Maxine Waters…….Paging Maxine Waters……your new ride has arrived.”

PappyD61 on August 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Usually the bride gets stood up, not the broom.

Daggett on August 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I can’t believe she trusted that reporter to leave the shop with that valuable item! Also stunning that she continues to use it. Guess she doesn’t realize that the broom’s amazing feature could possibly stop working.

painfulTruthDisciple on August 31, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Usually the bride gets stood up, not the broom.

Daggett on August 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM

+10 on the international scale of witticisms.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Back off, Allah. There are no atheists in broom closets.

snaggletoothie on August 31, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Too bad they didn’t bring in a scientific expert to help crack this nut. Like, say, any local high-school physics student. Exit question: You guys realize that this clip is pure heroin to atheists, right? – by Allahpundit

Well, since athiesm doesn’t really exist, I reject the premise of your “exit” question.

long_cat on August 31, 2009 at 8:10 PM

I want a refund on the two minutes and thirty-four seconds of my life that I just wasted watching this BS.

Pelayo on August 31, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Hell they do that down in Goldhill all the time. What’s the big deal?

Browncoatone on August 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Understandable. Breathless stories about scientists “creating life” in a laboratory is the same to us theists. ;)

ddrintn on August 31, 2009 at 8:31 PM

spmat on August 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

All respect to Allahpundit, of course, but, in this case, it does seem that he hasn’t heard of Gödel or the phrase “incompleteness theorem.”

Jens on August 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM

A holy spirit certainly would have nothing better to do than to hold up a broom.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I always knew there was a practical use for a holey spirit.

paulsur on August 31, 2009 at 9:02 PM

The FCC diversity czar is right: we need more localism initiative!

Antagonist on August 31, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Has anyone here even watch the video? The quote that AP put below the pic is something that, if you watch the video, may have been taken out of context (ie she could have been joking). NOTHING in the video besides that out-of-context quote indicates that she’s even a christian.

DethMetalCookieMonst on August 31, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Wow, one passing joke about the “holy spirit” and suddenly this is ripe for mocking by atheists?

RightWinged on August 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Well at least the media in that area is trying to help stimulate their local economy.

Heftyjo on August 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Allah trying to destroy Christianity with a broom video.

LOL! a lot!

Sapwolf on August 31, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Why? Atheists are no less guilty of pure, belligerent idiocy.

spmat on August 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Pretty savvy argument dude.

It’s the Mach vs Eddington debate.

I weigh in on the Godel and Eddington side of the equation. Einstein thought he was a Machian and by the end of his life realized that his whole theory of relativity was based on metaphysical principles and intuitions and have nothing to due with Mach’s positivistic influence at all. Mach was part of the inspiration for the Vienna Circle (Godel was a memeber and wasn’t buying any of it). Later Godel blew that chit out of the water in the most explosive way possible. Godel was the silent genius (who was quietly plotting to hammer them) at the Vienna Circle meetings and those idiots didn’t even know it. It is not even clear now if Wittgenstein adhered to what they were saying. Buy he was still their God. So Funny.

Read Holton: The Thematic Origins of Scientific Thought

Any outside observer at the time (1920s) could see that Einstein was conflicted about the philosophical genesis of his theories. Later however he saw the light and came out sounding like a unrepentant Platonist metaphysician. Einstein resolved it completely and expressed his transformation in many writings of a philosophical nature. Epistemology is the focus point for many good physicists and Albert was obsessed with it.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 10:06 PM

jimmy the notable on August 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM

jimmy- Are you THE Jim-may? LOL! Do you have the title (or link) to that South Park episode? My first thought was “So sayeth The Spider.” from South Park’s Red Hot Catholic Love” episode.

NightmareOnKStreet on August 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Well… if it could just do my taxes… then I’d be impressed!

BrainofS on September 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Magnets are cool! err err. We jist lurned about them in my collij fisiks class.

alohapundit on September 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Atheists are as bad for this country as Obama worshippers.

Connie on September 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Geez…what’s next in here, a dancing TV or a refrigerator that spouts fire?

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:47 AM