Rasmussen: Obama approval down to 46%

posted at 12:17 pm on August 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

If Barack Obama thought he could ride sympathy over the death of Ted Kennedy to new support for his legislative agenda, the latest Rasmussen polling will throw cold water on that hope.  Overall approval for Obama has now reached 46%, with 53% disapproving.  Strong disapproval now comes within five points of overall approval, almost within the margin of error:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that 30% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty-one percent (41%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -11…

Overall, 46% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President’s performance. That’s the lowest level of total approval yet measured for Obama. Fifty-three percent (53%) now disapprove. Eighty-one percent (81%) of Democrats approve while 83% of Republicans disapprove. As for those not affiliated with either major party, 66% disapprove. See other recent demographic highlights from the tracking polls.

Obama’s overall approval rating has dropped four points in the last two days, which gives an indication that the latest polling is significantly worse than earlier surveys.  Rasmussen uses a rolling three-day poll of 500 likely voters each day.  On Friday and Saturday, his overall approval was at 50%, but has dropped quickly to its new low.

Rasmussen has featured its Presidential Approval Index for the last few months as a measure of the level of passion in support and opposition.  They have a new opportunity to add a metric: the Underwater Index.  Right now, Obama has a +5.  If strong disapproval rises much more, Obama may shortly go negative in that measure as well — and that’s a real possibility as long as the White House pushes ObamaCare on a hostile electorate.

Obama may want to recast the bill as KennedyCare, but this poll seems to indicate that the bill’s label isn’t really the problem.  Kennedy has gone beyond being impacted by this monstrosity, and Obama’s left holding the political bag for it.

Congress will be looking at a much different playing field than when they left for their recess.  At that time, Obama’s job approval ratings were mixed, and even Rasmussen had it as more or less an even split, with only a point or two between overall approval and overall disapproval.  Four weeks later, every pollster has Obama’s numbers heading south quickly, and Rasmussen has Obama seven points under on overall approval/disapproval.  Only the politically suicidal would not take a lesson from this August.  Expect even more resistance to ObamaCare and the public plan in September.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

In the fabulous of Texas Governor Rick Perry: “Adios, mofo”.

Yellowdog12 on August 31, 2009 at 6:56 PM

You ‘conservatives’ sure like polls all of a sudden. Not so much when the former Male Cheerleader was pulling 28% and the little old man was losing to B. Hussein by 8%.

Enjoy your ‘victory’. Only 7 1/2 years to go!

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Only 7 1/2 3 1/2 years to go!

Obama’s chance of being reelected is virtually nil. By 2012, the economy will be so bad, so many unemployed, so many angry people, he might not even run – to save himself the embarrassment.

keep the change on August 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Shoot, Skippy. The way “The World’s President” is going, with everyone turning against his policies and his unvetted Czars, he may not make it 3 1/2 years. 46% approval and falling fast!

kingsjester on August 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Enjoy your ‘victory’. Only 7 1/2 years to go!

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM

The little old man lost because we ‘conservatives’ (why the quotes, anyway?) weren’t riled up. Now we are.

I’m looking forward to our victory in 1 1/2 years, friend.

ElectricPhase on August 31, 2009 at 7:53 PM

T

I’m looking forward to our victory in 1 1/2 years, friend.

ElectricPhase on August 31, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Good luck with that. The GOP field is a joke. You have a flip-flopping Scientologist, a folksy preacher named Huckleberry, that idiot woman, Piyush Bobby the 98lb weakling and Fred Thompson (dumb as hell, but friendly!).

Like I said, 7 1/2 years…

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Like I said, 7 1/2 years…

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Want to bet? Oh yeah, you don’t have a job.

But I guess trolling takes a lot out of you. Well maybe you’ll be getting all those free drugs soon, so buck up.

Squiggy on August 31, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Oh, you mista sneaky man you. You used “ride” “Kennedy” and “cold water” and “Obama” all in the same sentence.

You must read my piece on Saturday titled “We’re all Mary Jo Kopechne now.” I’ll repost if I can find it.

ted c on August 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM

We’re all Mary Jo Kopechne now.
Yes, you and I are Mary Jo Kopechne now. You read it right. Teddy has passed the keys to Obama, after a few beers with Gates, and he’s smiling at us and then sliding behind the wheel of that big gas guzzlin’ Olds. Maybe Obama, like Teddy, slipped a little something in our drink–just to make us a little more willing. One can only think what he has in mind as he invites us into the front seat of that big Oldsmobile. “Just a little drive” he quips, as your instincts tell you this might not be a good idea, but he’s handsome, well connected and charming. In the back of your mind, you think obama is just another womanizer, just out to use you for what you’ve got. Maybe you’re right–he is married you know.
As he heads down the bridge, the car careens over the edge, flips upside down and he leaves you trapped there, gasping for air as the car fills with water. You die a slow agonizing death as Obama escapes, his political career intact–set up right for victories to come–adulation and reverence. The rules he sets don’t apply to him–he wins and you lose.
Yes, Obama is trying to use us just like Teddy used Mary Jo. He wants to get what he wants and needs out of us only to leave us discarded underwater like an old boot. He’ll ride our backs just so long as to break it, then hop on someone else’s.
Yes, my friends. Today, we are all Mary Jo Kopechne and it is truly fitting and symbolic that the coward of Chappaquiddick is passing the proverbial keys to the Oldsmobubble to Obama upon the delivery of the eulogy.
The question is, will we get in and take the fatal ride, knowing today what Mary Jo didn’t know that fateful night in 1969? Will we be left at the bottom of the lake, gasping for air, as Obama escapes to greener pastures…and more victims? Time shall tell–for today, the Oldsmobile Key is passed.

Obama’s poll numbers are bouncing just like a waterlogged Olds off the bottom of the river at Chappaquiddick.

enjoy your new car Obama, WE AIN’T GOIN’ FOR A RIDE WITH YOU!

ted c on August 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Obama may be more powerful in 2012 as Chairman of Organizing for America, than as president of the US

faraway on August 31, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Now how many ICEBERGS has the Liberal Party slammed
into since January 20th!!

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Falling!

President Barack Obama’s job approval rating is down to 42%, with a decline in approval from Democrats the leading factor.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Like I said, 7 1/2 years…

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM

You’re trolling too far into the future. The Commie-crat House will go first. Then, the vacuum between Obama’s ears will enough to suck the GOP back into the Executive. ; )

ElectricPhase on August 31, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Don’t give the troll any facts. They just tend to make her “wee weed”. How many will Obama take down with him??? Oh Joy!

Roy Rogers on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Banks paying back their loans early, and the feds making a profit…GDP to start expanding this quarter…housing prices stable, finally…renewed energy in Afghanistan…some type of health care bill a near certainty…two thirds of the stimulus money still to be spent….

BO’s numbers will begin rising in October and crest late summer of next year, just in time to limit mid-term losses and set the stage for a renewed effort in 2011.

Bleeds Blue on August 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Ah, no, there is another bubble coming when some of the ARMS from 2007 begin to reset. And there is a coming commercial real estate crash coming. Keep on with the wishful thinking. 2010 is going to be a blood bath for liberal incumbents in washington.

karenhasfreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:53 PM

O has no creditability anymore. He doesn’t realize words matter when you’re President(cough). The other thing is he let slip his thug talk “cops acted stupidly” or “take a blue pill instead of a red pill” is not Presidential language and show a lack of leadership. He doesn’t have leadership abilities whatsoever.

Clyde5445 on August 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I’ve noticed a significant decrease in Obama bumper stickers on my morning and evening commutes. Maybe all the true believers traded in those gas guzzlers along with those “I want to believe” adhesives still attached… Or perhaps they are just no longer employed and therefore no longer driving too much anymore.

Irish Luck on August 31, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Our local pharmacy has Rasta-lookin’ gentleman with dreadlocks working the checkout. He’s a great guy–always a smile and a friendly turn of phrase. I stop there pretty often, and he always, always, always wears an Obama pin. I asked him about it once, and he said Barry was going to fix everything-mon.

Saw him today. He was looking kinda sad, and he wasn’t wearing the pin anymore. Barry’s losing the true believers.

ElectricPhase on August 31, 2009 at 6:28 PM

While I’m glad his numbers are going down, this part is sad. So many were so foolishly invested in him, mainly Blacks and young people. (even though young people didn’t vote, they still supported him.)

Now these people will be so disillusioned,not just with Obama, but with politics. I remember when they were all chanting for their messiah the night he won. I thought then that one day they would be disappointed. I just didn’t think it would start so early.

But on second thought, it’s probably good that they are disillusioned with the process. Accepting reality is a good thing. Some gullible people may stay out of the elections in the future. And maybe it will wake some up to the liberal media lies.

A win/win.

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 9:22 PM

kingsjester on August 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM

lol That’s what I was trying to avoid happening here. Can’t we all get along? lol

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I know. I haven’t seen a lot of the Trolls and Mobys today but you never know.

kingsjester on August 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

christene on August 31, 2009 at 5:57 PM

lol I forgot all about socks the cat.

I never thought I would dislike a politician more than Bill and Hillary, but I would take the Clinton years over Obama in a second.

Clinton was practical in the end.

Obama is scary, radical, arrogant and incompetent.

I was appalled by Clinton, but I never felt like I was living through the beginning of some futuristic science fiction horror movie. I keep thinking of Ann Rand, 1984, Soylent Green, the Time Machine etc.

Obama is

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Like I said, 7 1/2 years…

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Keep telling yourself that

The fear is evident as O is exposed and America is seeing him for real

Enjoy

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM

A win/win.

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 9:22 PM

very good point.

at one level if obama had to win i was happy that there would be a ‘political pride’ thing from young black america; a repudiation of the race hustling Al Sharptons that propogate “VICTIMHOOD”.

if he fails so badly, though, i dont know if the worm will turn…. if I’m young and black and my entire family is liberal dems that have been fed the sharpton line (and my grandparents are of the generation that actually HAD segregation and ‘colored’ water fountains, and are justifiably pro-federal govt and anti-anything resembling ‘racial’) and THEN obama fails, what do i do?

i’m guessing “massive racist conspiracy for $200, alex”. sort of an lapd redux: ‘white people made obama fail’.

i hope im wrong (and i hope that doesnt sound racist either)

battleoflepanto1571 on August 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Well, got back from a townhall with my rep and it was packed. I didn’t have an opportunity to ask or speak, but many others who opppose the bill did. We had many who brought up the Constitution, spending, and socialism. They were supported by cheers, clapping, hooting and hollering.

I live in a very BLUE state, in a radical small city that fancies itself as a mini San Francisco; we call it Berkeley without the Brains. But the moonbats were outnumbered and outmaneuvered! There was overwhelming opposition to this bill, and our Congressman was flustered! At one point he started whining about how none of the Republicans would support the bill in a bipartisan effort, and everyone started laughing at him.

It was great!

I still think he will vote for this monster, and Congress may very well pass the bill – perhaps a watered version. But I think it doesn’t matter. The Donks will be swept out of office and we will get the GOP to repeal it.

We have the momentum and the Donks are scared. I could see it in my Congressman’s eyes. It was beautiful!

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Sh*t that’s getting low.

Put Hope & Changey on suicide watch.

Sapwolf on August 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM

It was great!

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Glad to see that you are back and didn’t get dragged off to the slammer in cuffs.

Bitchin. Thanks for the update. Keep rockin that boat, Donks can’t swim, Elephants can.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 10:14 PM

It was pretty amusing. There was a woman there handling the forum, and she was so prissy, admonishing everyone, “No interrupting!”, so when someone got up to speak and Congressman Dicks (yeah, that’s his name, lol) interrupted, we all started shouting at him, “DON’T INTERRUPT!!!!”, then everyone laughed. Raucous.

The moonbats looked demoralized and confused. One who stood up actually started crying, saying that as a nation, don’t we “care” anymore? We all laughed at her, and started singing, “Feelings, nothing more than feelings…”

It was great!

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

at one level if obama had to win i was happy that there would be a ‘political pride’ thing from young black america.

battleoflepanto1571 on August 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Exactly. That’s what’s so sad for these poor people.

I agree with everything you said and I also hope we are wrong.

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Thanks to you and others for sharing your stories.

They give us hope.

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Obama may want to recast the bill as KennedyCare

If he wants to memorialize Teddy, I’d prefer he keep it real & call it “ChappaquiddiCare” or “KopechneCare”

NightmareOnKStreet on August 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I can’t wait to see who ends up under the bus this time.

ronsfi on August 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Like I said, 7 1/2 years…

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM

What are you talking about? I don’t know anyone in the Republican Party that is a Scientologist.

terryannonline on August 31, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I miss Obama. Come out, come out wherever you are.

faraway on August 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Wait are talking about Mitt? Mitt is not a Scientologist. Are Andrew Sullivan and Daily Kos not spreading a rumor that Mitt is a Scientologist now?

terryannonline on August 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Clyde, I’m curious, you posted the exact same thing on the Zogby thread 6 minutes later. (where I agreed & commented on it) How did that get past the HotAir “you have posted a duplicate comment” filter? (mine get caught – even though they were on 2 different threads) What’s your secret? I’m here to learn.

Clyde5445 on August 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Clyde5445 on August 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on August 31, 2009 at 11:00 PM

It was great!

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM

O man. “We don’t care anymore”. LOL

That’s a sure sign of surrender, groveling submission. Time to inflict some pain on them along with complete banishment from public discourse. Way to go my fellow pachyderms. Step on their heads.

That is what it must have felt like to her when you sang;

“Feelings, nothing more than feelings…”

Brutal and yet so beautiful.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 11:01 PM

faraway on August 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM

The Teleprompters are getting their 300 billion word tune up.

Can’t wait for more Telespastic utterances from teh Bamster.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 11:04 PM

terryannonline on August 31, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Nice work. Everyone first cuts their teeth on troll meat.

Soon, with time, you will be ranked among the great Troll Slayers of all time. Let truth prevail.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I hope you all are aware that when he does get destroyed in what I predict will be the biggest lanslide win by a Conservative Republican evah, the MSM will compare it to the crucifixion.

How a beautiful man of the people was sold out by the Judas moderates and blue dogs. His ideas could have brought prosperity and happiness to the world but threatened the pharisees and establishment….i.e. white people.

DLEW on August 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

terryannonline on August 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM

When Mitt’s mormonism is magnified by the left, can we just say Romney wasn’t at church on the the days objectional material was presented?

DLEW on August 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM

My prediction:

- Obama is a one termer
- He becomes Chairman of Organizing for the World
- He initiates a coup in Kenya to become President
- He conquers all Africa, becoming Emperor
- He forms the religion of Obama
- His reputation grows faster than the Universe

faraway on August 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on August 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Why are the blacks so happy about electing a half white guy raised in a lily white environment.

Barry did wonder for the murder rate and shooting in Chiocago after his election. He also did wonder for unemployment, out of wedlock births, drug use, welfare dependence, school drop out rate,, crimes in the black communities.

bayview on August 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Yeah I am asking myself the same question who is the ‘scientologist’ simplesimon is refering too? I dont know any “so-called” republican frontrunner for the 2012 nomination that is a scientologist.

Kevin43 on August 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM

faraway on August 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Don’t give him any ideas. On the second thought…

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 11:51 PM

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM

So, are you for communism or socialism?

Johan Klaus on September 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Only the politically suicidal would not take a lesson from this August.

Good news. For us, I mean.

Jim Treacher on September 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM

While I love what’s going on here, remember donkeys don’t think. They see the D and punch the chad. He’s probably not going to fall much below 40% ever just because he’s black jesus.

Fighton03 on September 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Look out below.
Cue the coyote-free-fall-sound
*road runner peers over the cliff*

Geochelone on September 1, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM
LOL,…WOW. I can’t even imagine someone missing a Clinton….wait,..I feel sorry for socks (the cat), does that count?

christene on August 31, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Alas, Socks is dead too…

lovingmyUSA on September 1, 2009 at 3:00 AM

ted c on August 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I like your anology…we are all Mary now–STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!

lovingmyUSA on September 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Enjoy your ‘victory’. Only 7 1/2 years to go!

simplesimon on August 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM

lol. ANd now all of you “liberals” seem to hate them. Funny world isn’t it? liberalism is dying.

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM

O man. “We don’t care anymore”. LOL

That is what it must have felt like to her when you sang;

“Feelings, nothing more than feelings…”
Brutal and yet so beautiful.

Geochelone on August 31, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Amen brother, no mercy. This is what they intented for us, this is what they thought they accomplished in the last election. Time to rain down some serious Conservative Resurgent Kickass on their weak whiney butts. I won’t be happy until they are the banished, the afterthought, the footnote of political thinking from a small section of a civics textbook.

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

“intended”

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM

Hawk. We’re making progress on the home front. Please keep up the good work.

Loxodonta on September 1, 2009 at 5:24 AM

headlined @ Ace’s

Zogby: Obama Approval Plummets to 42 Percent

maverick muse on September 1, 2009 at 5:35 AM

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM

hawkdriver, take care! We always look forward to your posts.

yoda on September 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Hawkdriver, your quote reminded me of a quote by Robert Smalls. He was a slave and pilot of the Confederate gunboat CSS Planter. He ‘stole’ the Planter and sailed it right under the guns of four forts to the union fleet. He later distinguished himself during a battle on the Keokuk and was given command of the Planter. Anyway, here is a quote by Robert Smalls.

every colored man who has a vote to cast, would cast that vote for the regular Republican Party and thus bury the Democratic Party so deep that there will not be seen even a bubble coming from the spot where the burial took place

bullseye on September 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Underwater Index now at +4 – overall approval 45%, strong disapproval 41%.

I wonder whether there’s a stale air pocket.

steveegg on September 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM

So Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Reed, or (insert the name of any democretin you want here) are brilliant leaders? These people are a joke that isn’t funny.

cavman on September 1, 2009 at 2:29 PM