Quotes of the day

posted at 10:55 pm on August 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Alas, this era of collegiality and respect, the era of Tip O’Neill and Ronald Reagan, is over. The recent reaction in the blogosphere to Ted Kennedy’s death proves that. After reading some of the discourse online, I was both surprised and disgusted at what was being written. I was shocked that even in death, people were having partisan quarrels about his legacy which led me to writing a Tweet saying, ‘I just don’t know what kind of life of anger you lead if you can’t put politics aside for a moment to respect a man’s passing…’ Immediately, this post was used yet again by some as an example of my ‘secret liberalism.’ Because what—apparently I can only respect a politician who had served nearly five decades in the Senate if he was a Republican? I don’t know how or why we got to this place in politics. Why death is used as yet another excuse for mudslinging and party rhetoric. It is depressing to think that we have come to an age where you can only mourn a man’s service to his country if he abides by every single political tenet you believe in…

If nothing else, I hope that the death of Ted Kennedy inspires high school students in civics classes and political science majors in colleges all across the country. If they listened this weekend to all Senator Kennedy was able to accomplish in his remarkable life, they too will realize why public service—in any capacity and for either political party—is and should continue to be a worthy calling.”

***
“The attempt to dismiss Kopechne’s death as a down payment on Kennedy’s mountain of legislation is not merely an act of political convenience, a smokescreen blown by Democrats eager to paint Kennedy into the ‘Last Supper’ of liberal apostles, with oils of their choosing. The Left is speaking from the dark heart of collectivism, a belief system that will collapse if it acknowledges any area in which the rights of an individual absolutely trump the needs of the State. The modern super-state depended heavily on Ted Kennedy for its existence, as dozens of news anchors have been eager to explain over the last few days. The idea that the epic narrative of the State should be compromised in the name of justice for a random citizen is ludicrous to the Left.”

***
Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t know how or why we got to this place in politics.

I think you can thank Uncle Teddy for a lot of this. Politics was fairly genial until Senator Bloviate got up a borked Robert Bork. And then he was part of the group trying to destroy Clarence Thomas. I would say that was about the time that the rhetoric began heating up and the gloves came off. Another wonderful accomplishment for The Swimmer’s legacy.

Mallard T. Drake on September 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Mehgan McCain…Twinkie Murderer.

BillaryMcBush on September 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Oh the humanity………

Mallard T. Drake on September 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM

MB4 on September 1, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Well done.

Mallard T. Drake on September 1, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Yes, let’s be respectful of the man who tried to conspire with
Soviets to defeat Ronald Reagan in 1984. And apparently did nothing to prevent the rape of a young lady by his nephew. But, hey, they guy lasted 50 years in the Senate, so all that other stuff doesn’t matter, right?

Mallard T. Drake on September 1, 2009 at 4:04 AM

Mallard T. Drake on September 1, 2009 at 4:04 AM

Well said. And where have you been. I hardly ever see your posts here anymore.

hawkdriver on September 1, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Of course Megan is correct that we should put aside criticisms of the man for a few days when he passes. The reason why she has no credibility is that she reserves all her outrage for conservatives. I don’t remember her being beside herself with contempt when liberals were dancing in the streets and whooping like wild Injuns after Tony Snow’s passing. She reserves all her ire for the party she claims to belong to. Like father like daughter.

Kataklysmic on September 1, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Anyone else remember Tip O’Neill lifting Reagan’s, unread, budget over his head and declaring it DOA, Dead on Arrival?

Those were certainly the days of “collegiality and respect”.

RJL on September 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

A Quote from the Original Joker, from Batman the Movie, Jack Nicholson:

I’m Glad Your Dead

Kini on September 1, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Why is anything that Meghan Mc Cain writes newsworthy in here.She’s a mindless twit that has done nothing in life except now in trying to cash in on her father name. By the way, the picture of her on that blog that was linked is a perfect one depicting the little punk she is.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Kataklysmic on September 1, 2009 at 4:53 AM

She reminds me of her old man. This is all a game to him. He’s a member of some special fraternity and although he’s on the other team, he’ll tell us how wonderful the enemy is.
I can honestly say I despise her old man, her and the rest of the RINOS like Snowe. This is a game to them.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM

She provides ludicrous counterpoint to Doctor Zero’s genius.

maverick muse on September 1, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Respect? It’s been reported that Kennedy served what, nearly 47 years in the Senate? IMO that’s about 41 years too long! Unfortunately, he had to die to get rid of him.

GFW on September 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM

Thank you Meghan McCain for again showing us WHY you are NOT the future of the GOP.

Now go fade into obscurity. Or go host The View or some liberal crap show like that. Just don’t smash any toes when walking around huge-y.

JaqobJackson on September 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM

Only one word can describe the clip Maloney just offered…BLASPHEMY!

And as far as Meghan McCain, why don’t you join Jenna Bush as part of the corporate fascist media?!

BobAnthony on September 1, 2009 at 6:03 AM

So merely taking up space is worthy of respect? Kennedy must be highly respected then…

Lehosh on September 1, 2009 at 6:06 AM

Meghan’s comments so often remind me of high school valedictory speeches, full of the piety and half-baked optimism that is often mistaken for maturity.
LEBA on September 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

I really like that comparison. Spot on accurate.

stldave on September 1, 2009 at 2:10 AM

Except you have to be smart to be Valedictorian.

James on September 1, 2009 at 6:28 AM

The fact that Kennedy spent five decades in the Senate is not a testament to his greatness. It is however an indictment of the people of Massachusetts and the fact that they were willing to continually re elect him and overlook his seriously flawed character, complete lack of ethics, dishonorable and sometimes even criminal behaviour all in the name of honoring the ghost of JFK, the Kennedy clan and the mythology that surrounds them as expounded by the sycophants of the press corps.

If anything Ted Kennedy’s real legacy should be as an example of why there needs to be term limits for members of Congress and the Senate.

Hellrider on September 1, 2009 at 6:41 AM

Her complete lack of understanding is amazing. She oozes patrician status, exemplifying all that is wrong with the political class and their brood in one disconnected article.

America, there is much work to be done if we are to bring this nation back to it’s Constitutional roots. One of the major obstacles is the patrician class of Rockefeller Republicans that mask their disdain for the common man, natural law, and individual rights, by the use of “reasoned” language and “ideas” that are collectivism by another name.

As we go forward, Meghan McCain will be the poster child for all that is wrong in the GOP. The base will rally against her and her kind, we have the face of the “conservative” enemy within. This is going to be fun.

True_King on September 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM

allah… enough with the dingbat.
she is not a conservative, a republican or even remotely bright enough to be worthy of any quote.

billyb on September 1, 2009 at 6:47 AM

my only questions is, was the stake driven in deep enough.

Onager on September 1, 2009 at 6:51 AM

A good litmus test I will now use to ignore a post is if it starts by saying, “which led me to writing a Tweet saying..”

Alden Pyle on September 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM

The very worst things I’ve read and heard are much, much better than he deserves.

CC

CapedConservative on September 1, 2009 at 7:05 AM

There once was a young twit named McCain
Her quoted tweets being constantly lame.
“How about some respect for the dead!”
Even the traitorous Ted?
In my ass I feel her pain.

BigAlSouth on September 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM

She provides ludicrous counterpoint to Doctor Zero’s genius.

maverick muse on September 1, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Well that might be true, but come on now, what an easy target to counterpoint. It’s like these “trout ponds” we have here strictly for the flatlanders, (people from Illinois). They vacation here and think it’s great sport to fish on a private property pond, where you pay by the pound you catch, that’s so stocked a 3 year old with a Snoopy pole could catch enough to feed a family of five for a week. Counterpointing to something Meghan Mc Cain says really require no skill. You and I could easily do it.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Megan, Uncle Teddy would have sandwiched you.

gooddad on September 1, 2009 at 7:12 AM

LET HIM RIP (Rot in Peace)!!!!!!!

LET HIM FERMENT IN PEACE!!!!!!!

MB4 on September 1, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Can’t, pickling prohibits this, the best one can hope for is desiccation.

TheSitRep on September 1, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Nice summary of Ted over at 2brave2bescared’s place:

Edward Kennedy’s America is a land in which thousands of citizens are murdered, robbed, and raped each year by hoodlums permitted to squat illegally in our nation, a land in which a U.S. Senator can secretly work with a hostile foreign dictator to undermine his own nation’s security, a land where the most qualified applicants for jobs and college admissions can be denied because they aren’t of the proper race or gender, a land where a rich and powerful man can evade punishment for irresponsibly causing the death of a young woman, and, finally, a land where that same man can amass a media following by sneering at Catholic teachings on abortion and homosexuality, and then request and receive a positive sendoff from the Catholic Church as a believer in good standing.

Alden Pyle on September 1, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Alden Pyle on September 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM

To tweet or not to tweet. That is the question. And it’s a life choice as well.

Like you, I will not read a post referring to one’s own tweet. Or, if someone says, “follow me on Twitter,” they may rest assured they will not be followed by yours truly.

Or, I might just say, “Tweet this,” follows by an international hand sign.

TXUS on September 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Megham would you PAA-leaze shut up and go back to the marshmallow bag and stuff your stupid pie-hole!

Cinday Blackburn on September 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM

I didn’t realize what that blog was all about at first. Did anyone bother to read the comments. Meghan Mc Cain is a LIBERAL, disguising herself as a Republican, to fill some niche in their contributors.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Cinday Blackburn on September 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM

LOL..well said..right to the point

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Oh for God’s sake! SIT DOWN, Meghan McCain! SIT DOWN, Quit flapping your hand in the air and rambling on like a fifteen year old. You’ve taken us from questioning your I.Q. to being mortified by it. SIT DOWN!

anniekc on September 1, 2009 at 7:49 AM

This is what happens when a young girl has total access to ADD meds throughout her teens……..and thinks they are M&M’s. Yummy…………

Cinday Blackburn on September 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Darn I missed another Megaton McCain post by AP. I notice she is not very wrapped up in scolding Kos and friends when they cheered Novak and Snow’s deaths….ah well her mission in life is to hamstring one party “her own” I quote because the idea she or her father are Republicans is farce.

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Meghan upon waking in the morning, grabs her Teddy Bear, and tells it: “Mommy loves me and daddy loves me, and my friends the liberals love me”. “They all say I’m the cutest, smartest Republican around.”

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM

In other news Eric “The Black Panthers are great” Holder has decided to shift DoJ focus on civil rights….

Al- NYT says,

As part of this shift, the Obama administration is planning a major revival of high-impact civil rights enforcement against policies, in areas ranging from housing to hiring, where statistics show that minorities fare disproportionately poorly. President George W. Bush’s appointees had discouraged such tactics, preferring to focus on individual cases in which there is evidence of intentional discrimination.

Thank God he is on top of voting rights efforts….”oh wait”

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I know a lot of us here disagree with much of Meghan’s, well… crap. I don’t really know what else to call it. But remember that you didn’t go to her sire to read it. Allah keeps bringing it to you here. And you all keep taking the bait. The fastest way to take away Meghan’s voice it to stop recating to it. And that means to stop reacting to AP’s efforts to get you riled up by bringing his Meghan threads, and other pet threads like Athiest stories, to your screen. There is pleanty of real news and topic fodder out there without empowering these nerds.

MikeA on September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Frequent threads about the daughter of Sen. McCain give her a standing she doesn’t deserve. If anything, she’s a useful idiot to the opposition. But how is she useful to this site?

JiangxiDad on September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

For Gods sake Megan McLame just go away

MCW on September 1, 2009 at 8:03 AM

JiangxiDad on September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

JD the easiest way using recent news as a guide to grasp why AP graces us with her colonary offerings is to think of “Brooks”, “Obama”, “Package”…..

I say let AP gets his hetero vibe on in peace….

*wink*

sven10077 on September 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM

ugh Another meghan mccain post?? It almost made me vomit.

Go away!!

becki51758 on September 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 7:10 AM

You asked a rhetorical question. The post is Allahpundit’s. However, don’t invert the quality factor @ Doctor Zero’s expense. Doctor Zero’s post was NOT about the twit. It wasn’t Z’s doing to be juxtaposed to the twit for a thread. As I put it, in Allahpundit’s perspective, the twit is indefensible; nuance: Allahpundit’s admitting he ain’t taken by the twit no mo, if there were yet a doubt in anyone’s mind. But the point you’ve completely missed from this post is that COLLECTIVISM BREEDS DEATH TO INDIVIDUALISM: Dr. Zero’s post deserves more attention. I’m always glad when a GreenRoom article makes it “front and center” @ HotAir. In figurative words of imagery, Socialists are Cannibals. /And Obama’s blondest squealiest cheerleader, the twit, enables the downfall of the greatest government ever designed, humping the best of intentions weeweewee all the way home.

Now admit it, Jeff. That’s some counterpoint at the twit’s expense.

Good of you to bring attention to Doctor Zero’s post, Allahpundit. But if I hadn’t wondered why on earth you’re smitten by a twit, that twit of all twits, I’d have missed Doctor Zero’s post. If it’s attention meant to publicize him, it wouldn’t hurt to highlight HIM instead of the twit’s picture. At least apply a Chaplin mustache to her picture, clarifying her clown status and political aspirations. Point being, efforts are better spent gleaning GreenRoom posts than pursuing wild goose chases featuring the twit.

maverick muse on September 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Porky is obviously currying favor with the MSM. Obviously a lesson she learned from Dada. I guess she’s thinking of going into politics and wants to grease the wheels with the media. Good luck with that!

She ought to be currying favor with the Conservative media. She still thinks it’s 1968 and America is Lib Central. It’s 2009 and Lib Central is now a show hosted by Jon Stewart.

EMD on September 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM

MikeA on September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Agreed,but what I would like to see is a month long threads of post Ted buried to continue my assault against him. A Palin thread is always good a lot of responses. Catholic Church is great bait too. The economist garbage, not so much.

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM

First, all of the McCains need to go away. I don’t care what any of them have to say.

Second, when the only partially redeeming quality about a man is maybe what we did in politics then talking about the politics is appropriate. Maybe if Ted Kennedy wasn’t a complete sack of sh!t in life we could talke about the person in a good light but we can’t. This is the problem when you celebrate someone as vile as Ted Kennedy and to act outraged over talking about his faulty politics is pathetic.

cadams on September 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM

MEG ON YOUR FACE
Gonna gonna gonna gonna gonna gonna buy me a rainbow!
Buy me a rainbow!

Coronagold on September 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Why is this cow relevant again?

angryed on September 1, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Fantastic. Because we don’t have enough affirmative action brain dead morons already in corporate America. We need even more.

And housing? Housing?!??! The reason the housing bubble inflated and collapsed was because anyone with a pulse – minority or not – could sign up for a $500K mortgage even if they had no income, or assets. WTF is Holder even talking about?

angryed on September 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

“The modern super-state depended heavily on Ted Kennedy for its existence, as dozens of news anchors have been eager to explain over the last few days. The idea that the epic narrative of the State should be compromised in the name of justice for a random citizen is ludicrous to the Left.”

Some of us are more random than others.

percysunshine on September 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

The blogosphere’s reaction to TK may have been more to the left’s idolization of the man. Had they left him alone with prayers and well wished for his family…but they couldn’t, could they? Once they politicized his death (Obamacare is Kenndycare), it is fair game to respond with…the truth!

Don L on September 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM

From the quote of the day, the twit surprises no one. Twit McCain is not ambivalent, and is not flip flopping. She is a consistent Leftist, a cancer that needs annihilation from her chosen host’s body. Cut her out, and cleanse where she’s been in our midst. That applies to the GOP as well as HotAir posts. Quit force feeding yourself on what the twit repeats. It is understood by anyone with a brain that she’s going deeper and deeper into Socialism. Obliterate her from future posts until the day comes that she renounces progressive politics and converts to conservatism. Quit misdirecting efforts, staying stuck on stupid with her. Allahpundit, you’re squandering what could be addressed. Prove that you’re over the twit by eighty-sixing her. To go on engaging in spite towards the twit would only mark you as still stuck on stupid, sour grapes and all.

JiangxiDad on September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

maverick muse on September 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM

What utter BS! Yes, public service is a worthy calling but let’s not elevate Tedddy Kennedy of all people to be the poster boy for that calling. Teddy Kennedy was born on third base but acted like he had hit a triple. He was the spoiled fourth son of elitist family whose upbringing included time at the Court of St. James and whose first communion was given by the Pope. The only reason he went into public service was that he wasn’t qualified for anything else. He inherited his Senate seat through the goodwill his brothers brought to the electorate.

You want to laud public service, look no further than Mother Theresa, or Jimmy Carter’s work with Habitat for Humanity, or one of the countless individuals in your own community who don’t get the national spotlight. One woman I know has spent 24 years volunteering at least one day of most weeks at a soup kitchen.

So, please, leave Teddy Kennedy out of the discussion when talking about public service. Longevity is not the same thing as dedication or merit.

I don’t know if you are closet liberal but you definitely have the short attention span of those on the left. Were you bleating about civility when Strom Thurmond or Ronald Reagan passed over after long and remarkable lives? I didn’t think so. Personally what disgusted me the most about the weekend is how the media and Kennedy family decided to make the passing of Teddy Kennedy into a state funeral complete with the plane landing at Andrews AFB, motorcades, and internment at Arlington National Cemetery. All undeserved honors for the man you are defending.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Well, I pretty much agree with her on this one, except that death actually does revive one’s reputation and triggers comments in the day and age of the internet. Several bloggers write frankly about his actions, including Oates, who was actually criticized on this blog. Interestingly enough, she got the facts of the night out in a British paper, and it is clear that Kennedy’s actions led directly to this woman dying slowly and alone.

That really is something to ponder.

Mostly, as usual, I think she’s a kid, making a very typical kid comment. That’s the age of idealism, for sure.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM

It was, indeed, quite over the top.

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM

You know its only a matter of time before this idiot comes out and switches parties don’t you?

she’ll site some idiotic pap about how the Right isn’t what it used to be (like she did above” or something else.

She probably won’t have the courage to come out and become a Democrat though. She’ll become an “Independent”, ’cause they’re like “totally cool and stuff”. You can see it in her writing already. She’s already a lib, but hasn’t the guts to come out and say it.

Another person who’s become a ‘celebrity’ for it’s own sake.

Why don’t we make her Kennedy’s replacement? She’s just as qualified as anyone else the Left (and the some on the Right) have advocated, Perhaps more qualified, what with all her Twitter followers…

catmman on September 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Meghan is seeking the spotlight by commenting on Politics because she is too old to have a show about herself on Nickelodeon.

kingsjester on September 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Mary Jo Kopeckne was unavailable for comment.

N. O'Brain on September 1, 2009 at 8:56 AM

AnninCA on September 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Oh! I think there is more of a connection than that. Her father is of the same elitist upbringing as the son of a high-ranking Navy Admiral. His little girl has been similarly coddled away from the “real people.”

What was missing from her “analysis” was the simple fact that you can’t ignore Kopechne’s death and simply say nice things about Kennedy’s life. For one thing, that incident was what kept him from ever being a serious candidate for the Presidency. How do you have a legitimate position on the Teddy Kennedy legacy without pointing out that the 70′s were years of frustration as he never was able to live down his past? Further, how do you cherry pick the legislation you want to mention in eulogy. Yes, Teddy Kennedy was involved in the Civil Rights act of 1964 but he was also part of No Child Left Behind (which the lefties hate because it holds teachers accountable) and was co-sponsor with McCain of that failed amnesty bill.

In short, my point is that the media did a very good job this weekend of glossing over the true Kennedy record. The truth is that there were some things to give Kennedy credit for and there are some things that he needs to take the blame for. It’s absurd to think that we should forget the bad just because the politician has died since the bad is also part of his record of public service.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 8:59 AM

catmman on September 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM

And it won’t make on bit of difference. She’ll be paraded around like Jim Jeffords or Arlen Specter by the media. She’ll present herself as the voice of the youth movement.

In reality she’s just a vapid spoiled daughter of elitist parents. She’s the political equivilent of Paris Hilton and that’s as much attention as anybody should be paying to her comments. They are more appropriately aimed at the Highlights subscriber than anything else.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 9:04 AM

No, he doesn’t have to abide by every single political tenet we believe in, just some basic moral ones, like not leaving a woman to drown….

CarolynM on September 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM

MegMac the attention whore has spoken again? Yawn!

Esmerelda on September 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM

…..Unfortunately, he had to die to get rid of him.

GFW on September 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM

Which proves that there is always hope with death.

belad on September 1, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Please do us all of favor and find someone else to drool over.

Megan Fox… she has the same first name. Shouldn’t be a hard transition.

And MB4- that is awesome.

xax on September 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Don’t be so hard on Meggles. She and Teddy have a lot in common- fat, bloated ego, self-important, full of sh!t and total lack of introspection. At least she hasn’t killed anyone yet. Well, maybe from boredom after reading her vapid columns or possibly an aneurysm due to uncontrollable eye-rolling.

I predict one day she’ll be totally humiliated when she realizes what a tool she’s been and reads some of the crap she writes and tweets. Only then will she shut the f0ck up.

Monica on September 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Ha! If you listen to it, it’s kinda funny…

Talking about Drinking games on the day Teddy is buried. Teddy legacy was not healthcare, civil rights, etc. It was whiskey!

Only the liberals could idolize a drunken bafoon…

jeffn21 on September 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM

John McLame brought a teen aged girl into the presence of Chappaquiddick Ted.

I think this negates the respect I had for him as a war hero.

darktood on September 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM

A “man” is accurately judged by his character and his personal conduct and a gallon of cologne cannot cover up the rottenness within.

rplat on September 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM

angryed on September 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Government forces Westchester County to spend $50 million on housing for minorities

As part of Monday’s agreement, the county admitted that it has the authority to challenge zoning rules in villages and towns that in many cases implicitly discourage affordable housing by setting minimum lot sizes, discouraging higher-density developments or appropriating vacant property for other purposes. Westchester agreed to “take legal action to compel compliance if municipalities hinder or impede the county” in complying with the agreement.

Scared yet?

rockmom on September 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I expect to hear on the late late news oddity, that Chappaquiddick Ted’s body was reburied elsewhere because his casket keeps popping to the surface as the very ground of Arlington National Cemetery rejects him.

darktood on September 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM

.”Color me confused. Does Meggie think that being a vapid Valley Girl known her her “gutter-mouthed tweets” and bashing Conservatives constitute “public service?

katiejane on September 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I just don’t know what kind of life of anger you lead if you can’t put politics aside for a moment to respect a man’s passing…’ Immediately, this post was used yet again by some as an example of my ’secret liberalism.’ Because what—apparently I can only respect a politician who had served nearly five decades in the Senate if he was a Republican? I don’t know how or why we got to this place in politics. Why death is used as yet another excuse for mudslinging and party rhetoric. It is depressing to think that we have come to an age where you can only mourn a man’s service to his country if he abides by every single political tenet you believe in…

Sometimes, I’m petty enough to dislike agreeing with her. But I doubt I was the only one repelled by some of what I saw and read.

dieudonne on September 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Sick, twisted freaks.

Griz on September 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM

rplat on September 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Very true. In many ways, however, a funeral isn’t about the dead man. It certainly isn’t for his benefit. It’s for the benefit of the people left behind. It would be nice if people could have at least weaited for him to be buried before the character dissection happened since it was obviously going to happen.

dieudonne on September 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Monica on September 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM

And it will be years after everyone has stopped listening.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 10:12 AM

dieudonne on September 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Then let family and friends eulogize but don’t bother the rest of the population.

rplat on September 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM

dieudonne on September 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I’m sorry but your statement is as hypocritical as the Obama’s claiming their kids are off limits than constantly using them as props.

Teddy Kennedy’s funeral was more elaborate than many Presidents. Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t want him to lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda. It was a very public affair. So, essentially, I say public dissection of his legacy before he is buried is appropriate if the whole funeral events are public in nature.

highhopes on September 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM

THIS JUST IN: Mall-trotting blonde from a 1980s John Hughes film comments on conservative blogosphere’s reaction to Ted Kennedy’s passing:

“Well, like, FUR SURE, ya know?” *smacks bubblegum* “It’s like, not cool, and it shows the end of of the…what’s the word? ERA…yeah…no, wait, that’s laundry detergent. I think. I dunno, Daddy pays some people to do our laundry. Any way, the time of that really old guy that was President and a cowboy has passed. Totally. Can’t we all just be nice?”

If that doesn’t sum up MeggieMac–not just for this article but in total–I don’t know what does.

CatsGodot on September 1, 2009 at 10:35 AM

The era of Meghan (and John McCain) is over. I’ll respect Teddy in death like he used to respect Mary Jo in reference to his love of Chappaquidick jokes. Go away Meghan…we don’t need your “help”.

grif99 on September 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM

dieudonne on September 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I would’ve been extremely happy to let that fat, bloated corpse go off to his ‘reward’ without ever having to comment on him or his actions, but people kept telling lies about how great he was.

James on September 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM

such pathetic women with no moral foundation or point of reference whatsoever… why on earth do people listen to them?

jonnyshocko on September 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM

enough with the mccain sh@# please!

jonnyshocko on September 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM

BIG MAC is like the fat, ugly chick in high school who talks too loud, eats like a pig and you have to include her in the clique because her daddy is the richest bas.tard in town and you look better sitting in her passenger seat than you do walking.

seejanemom on September 1, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Jeff from WI on September 1, 2009 at 5:38 AM

I agree in part, but would add that it is not so much a “game” for them as a ritual for exhibiting their virtue and character. By taking so-called contrarian positions they feel virtuous, i.e., willing to challenge their tribe. But they mostly display deference the idols of another tribe. Their words and actions don’t operate in the realm of moral virtue or even higher intellect, rather in the lower realm of minor, conventional (if idiosyncratic) self-righteousness.

rrpjr on September 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Scared yet?

rockmom on September 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Have been since about 8:30pm on Nov 4, 2008.

These zoning law things happen all over the place. Which is why you should never buy a house in a new area with lots of empty land around it. You wake up one day and presto there is a project going up next door. Always make sure to live in a well established, older area where all the land is already built up. No surprises that way.

angryed on September 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Ted Kennedy’s legacy “Death & Taxes”

Dr Evil on September 1, 2009 at 11:32 AM

“I have a tattoo.”
“I like to wear black.”

JellyToast on September 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM

But how is she useful to this site?

JiangxiDad on September 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

She is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the GOP. It’s not much, but it’s all I can think of.

csdeven on September 1, 2009 at 12:38 PM

This is why Ms. McCain’s comments are about as relevant as Barbara Streisand’s. And about as intellectual. She is a typical RINO who really, REALLY, wants the media to love her. Perhaps her future employment will include a job at the New York Times. Meanwhile, is it necessary to waste space on her pointless “thoughts” here?

oldleprechaun on September 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM

this from a woman who tried to crash a Press Correspondent’s dinner…

Chris_Balsz on September 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM

The Meghindenburg burns and crashes again!

chickasaw42 on September 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I would comment, but I am too busy urinating on Ted’s grave.

Dave R. on September 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

This chic could make President of the United States! All she has to do is get a good tele-prompter and drool on the main stream media a little.

Cybergeezer on September 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Mccain’s big flaw is in assuming that compromise can be reached with persons negotiating in good faith. There is no compromising with someone who asks for the world, yields nothing, settles for anywhere between half and 30% and settles for that amount only to ask for more the next go round, while attacking you for being unwilling to “compromise” and opposing “reasonable” laws while getting nothing in return.

h0mi on September 2, 2009 at 10:05 AM