Oh my: New Zogby poll shows Obama’s approval at … 42%

posted at 8:31 pm on August 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s not quite as bad as it looks, but it’s plenty bad. Since last month, he’s down 13 points among Democrats, nine points among liberals, and 18 points among voters 18 to 29.

No public option, no peace?

Pollster John Zogby: President Obama is now firmly between a rock and a hard place. Democrats want a strong healthcare reform bill with a public option. Republicans and more conservative Democrats do not agree. If Obama fails to get a bill that his base supporters want, the entire Democratic Party risks alienating them; especially 18-29-year-old First Globals, who could very quickly become disenchanted with politics. Obama needs to enter the fray in a very public way, which may mean knocking heads with both wings of his own party.

He’s actually up slightly among likely voters in the last 10 days — coincidentally, while he’s been on vacation and off the television screen — but it’s the monthly trend that’s an eye-popper. Doesn’t this foretell a shift left, to win back Democrats, when he finally returns to D.C.? He’s already lost any little amount of trust conservatives and right-leaning independents might ever have had in him; just too much government, too soon, and no compromise “health-care co-op” is going to change that. All it’ll do is leave the left feeling they can’t trust him either, which means no money or organization next year and no one except wary centrists even somewhat pleased with health care. The smartest available move, it seems increasingly to me, is to push for a public option, make the left happy, and then throw the full weight of your propaganda machine into convincing centrists before the midterms that government health care is a genius idea. Sure, it’ll mean sacrificing a few Blue Dog seats to the GOP next year, but it looks like that’s a fait accompli anyway. And even if Republicans take back the House, they won’t have a veto-proof majority (or even control of the Senate) that they’d need to repeal ObamaCare, so the deed will be done. If you’re Barry O, you might as well get what you want, keep part of the public excited about you, and take your chances.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I wonder if Peggy Noonan still likes him.

Cicero43 on August 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I’m trying to keep myself from getting too excited… it is ZOGBY after all… but what if this is what Rasmussen and Gallup will soon show? Didn’t it take Bush like 4 or 5 years to get to this level?

El_Terrible on August 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

It is moving towards that 36% that I figure is literally impossible for him to go below…He is almost statistically at that point.
This is the worst showing of any first year president….ever…

right2bright on August 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Take some more time off sad sack.

MES401067 on August 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I’ll feel better when he hits 15%.

TXMomof3 on August 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM

right2bright on August 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I think you are right.

Pam on August 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM

” If you’re Barry O, you might as well get what you want, keep part of the public excited about you, and take your chances.”

The permanent glaze over Allah’s eyes lifts for a moment, he coughs, and says something that makes sense.

but of course, it’s all about his bud Barry, and how Barry can get his way even though the country is swirling in the toilet bowl.

notagool on August 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I hear 42, can I hear a 42, I hear a 36, the current bid is 36, how about 30, 30, 30, going once, going twice, I hear 25, 25, 25, anyone else, going, going, going – sold to the lanky guy with the big ears!

Orange Doorhinge on August 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM

He’ll move left because that is his natural place. Then he will double down with his “I mean it” face at every possible opportunity.

d1carter on August 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

The only question is, do the Blue Dogs WANT to be sacrificed? Unlike Mary Jo, they have a choice.

GarandFan on August 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Smarterest and bestest president evah!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have never guessed this to happen with history’s smoothest transition.

jukin on August 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

“The smartest available move, it seems increasingly to me, is to push for a public option, make the left happy, and then throw the full weight of your propaganda machine into convincing centrists before the midterms that government health care is a genius idea.”

Only one problem…

… although our elective Representatives aren’t, we are reading the bills.

Seven Percent Solution on August 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I wonder if Peggy Noonan still likes him.

Cicero43 on August 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

For this to happen one of them would require an ovulation. I don’t see that happenin’……

Rovin on August 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I’m missing this in the poll, AP. Is it just the assumption by Zogby that since Obama is down among Democrats, it must be because of wavering on Obamacare? Could the decline in democrats be more “nuanced” than that?

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Going….going….Titanic is about to break in half….
snap…rip..shear..cables are flinging…stern is making
its trip towards the ocean floor,

the bow momentarily rights itself,screams are heard,’HEY
THE POLL NUMBERS ARE STABALIZING’…then,air escapes to a
loud shrill as the bow decends straight down,

towards Obamas Abyss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Snark).

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Can we call him a lame duck, or would that be racist?

Cicero43 on August 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Orange Doorhinge on August 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM

12% will always vote for him…then you have 12-14% of the leftists who will vote anything dem, and never Republican…then you have 10% who are just crazy.
So you will never have him below 25%, and add the 10% crazy, 35%.

right2bright on August 31, 2009 at 8:41 PM

That would be political suicide though. And the Blue Dogs know it. How will they get the votes they need in the House to pass a bill with a public option? They may even have trouble getting to 50 in the Senate if they go with a far left HR 3200 type of bill.

Doughboy on August 31, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Can’t be right. He’s still 55% at Daily Kos. What a bunch of right wing terrorist racists Zogby are…

MarkT on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Oh my. I’m so heartbroken and surprised. I can’t believe it.

/how do I sound? Sincere?

Bob's Kid on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I’ll feel better when he hits 15%.

TXMomof3 on August 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I’m not nearly as optimistic as you , but if oboob’s numbers drop to say under 30%, he’s in deep sh*t…

SHARPTOOTH on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

If he does go for the public (read government) option, then he will have chosen a tact that is opposite to what Clinton did, which many credited with his reelection. Should be interesting.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

“As I’ve always said” I expected my popularity to go below 50

CBP on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Glenn Beck has spoken.

tessa on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Somebody here made a great point couple days ago.
A lot of independent mush voters thought Hope & change meant fixing certain things economically. What they got was stimulus corruption, a hard-left agenda and a blame America first foreign policy
And they’re figuring it out while standing in the unemployment line.

jjshaka on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Sounds like Obama is trying the same tactic that both his dad, and Forest Gumps dad tried—the Permanent Vacation!

Where’s the President? He’s on vacashun!

He gives a speech on health care–and the polls drop…
He goes on vacation –and the polls drop….
TOTUS commits suicide…and the polls drop….
Michael Jackson dies… and the polls drop…
Teddy Kennedy dies…and the polls drop.

So, Obama is in a place where TOTUS can’t tell him what to say about Obamacare, Michael Jackson can’t sing about it–and Teddy can’t vote for it.

Boy, that Wednesday helicopter ride to Camp David is sure looong way away.

ted c on August 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Zogby is a fraud… he always is looking for a headline…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

David Brooks will still be there to rub his leg and Kathleen Parker will still be there to……well, you know.

Percy_Peabody on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

What would the Kennedy brothers say?

Acorn gonna have to register more Goofys and up the pay for the paid protesters.

Whats MSNBC gonna say about this?

Did George Bush do this?

58% are racist!

He needs more rest!.

Someone give him wrong info on economy and he just ciphered wrong?

What’s a community goat herder to do in a crisis?

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Allah’s analysis is solid. The only question I have is are there enough votes to pass this thing by those not worried about being victims of Obama’s poor approval ratings? I am inclined to think that there are. Not good for us.

HoustonRight on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Orange Doorhinge on August 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Very good.

rrpjr on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Golly, it seems that the public is finally realizing the The One may not be the one.

docdave on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

42…the answer to life, the universe and everything. It’s all so clear now.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Orange Doorhinge on August 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Orange Doorhinge:Good one,it reminds me a bit like

Barrett-Jackson Auctions!!hehe:)

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Oh my: Fox News poll shows Obama at 13%. He is really going down. We far left libs are toast. We are so scared..

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

The best part of this is that things can not get better for obama. The economy will only get worse, or stay the same, which means anger and anxiety will build. His foreign policy will never be up to the task of the dangerous and most likely cataclysmic events that will shake the world in the coming three years. He will find himself buried by events that will happen much faster than he can even speak. A piece of fluff like him took the wrong job at the wrong time. By 2012, he won’t want the job anymore.

keep the change on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

btw, I about guarantee Obama bounces back and the republicans gain only a few sets(I’m betting on between 5-10) in the next election… until the republicans embrace a dynamistic distributism and become small government egalitarians they are screwed… they are way too corporate..

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Zogby is a fraud… he always is looking for a headline…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I believe you got it bassackwards there pirate. Take another drink of that kool-aid boy!

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Wow. What could we ever do without AP’s continual enthusiasm and support.

Blake on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Any psychologist would say your response in fact does express fear. enjoy

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

seats that is..

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Although this is certainly schadenfreude at its best I am afraid that there is too much time for him to rehabilitate is messianic status and I never count out the American public to go stupid on a dime…

crazywater on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Doesn’t this foretell a shift left, to win back Democrats,

Well, if Obama’s suicidal.

ddrintn on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Angela Davis is calling, she wants her hair back.

tessa on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

42…the answer to life, the universe and everything. It’s all so clear now.

You are obviously clinging to your towel.

CBP on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

But will the opinion of actual, living, US citizens matter after the new ACORN/census figures are in?

LASue on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

If you are a con Pirate is on your side

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Afrolib: I think it was coined we weed up,by your President!

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

El_Terrible on August 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I believe Bush’s numbers feel to their low mark when he attempted to ram through amnesty. The left had hated him for a long time and now he lost about half the right/center-right in one swoop.

So, for Bush to drop to this level he had to betray his base, have an epic propaganda effort targeted at him, and a war that seemed to be going poorly.

Of course looking at Obama, he and the Obamedia sold him as a moderate, so it isn’t shocking the public is unhappy. Had he run as a hard leftist, he would not have won.

18-1 on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I’m as conservative as they can be… click the link, Palin is there…

btw, Rasmussen isn’t that great either… he leans republican…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Libs is toast

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Has any president ever recovered from being at under 40% approval? I’m thinking any approval number that starts with a 3 means Barry is done.

Loxodonta on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

It was hilarious that just a short while ago you were trumpeting Obama’s 70% approval with every other breath. Yeah, he really is going dowwwwwnnnnn.

ddrintn on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

If Obama takes a hard stance with his own party and moves left, he will fail.

The man lacks all tact in dealing with disagreeing view points.

jhffmn on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Oh my: Fox News poll shows Obama at 31 flavors. He is really chomping down. We far left libs like toast. We are so hungry..

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Eat dinner before posting my fro-bro.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

And you wonder why your called a troll….add something relevant to the conversation.

SHARPTOOTH on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I know what this means!!

Team Obama needs a New Distraction,like yesterday!!

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

The kids are going back to school. Do they legally have to partake in the forced census education in the public schools? I want my kid to opt out.

tessa on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Didn’t it take Bush like 4 or 5 years to get to this level?

And unremitting bad press.

Bob's Kid on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I just do not understand how the most unaccomplished candidate ever to win the White House would see such a drop in pole numbers????? I was under the impression that Zero was the savorier of the universe.

david kumbera on August 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM

That’s pretty smart advice…stop giving it! On the other hand, the Obamessiah would probably rather eat broken glass than do anything you recommend, so maybe it’s just smart reverse psychology…

The Principal Chair on August 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I find it interesting that AfroIdiot cannot even express any disappointment in his messiah. Can you say Afghanistan , how about we will be in IRaq for 10 years….. still no health care as it is going down. Obama loves lobbyists and not a word. I could go on and on but AfroIdiot will bow to Obama no matter what.

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM

btw, Rasmussen isn’t that great either… he leans republican…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

His record’s pretty good. Zogby’s, not so much.

ddrintn on August 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM

In the short term of being in office,and the poll
numbers being this low,

is it Historical,jus sayin!!

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM

CBP on August 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

And my pan galactic gargle blaster.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Any psychologist would say your response in fact does express fear. enjoy

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I beg to differ my neo-con friend. Get ready to keep calling him The Messiah aka President Barack Obama in 2012. Come on, who do you have? Dumb Palin, Liz”dont make any sense when i try to defend my psycho dad” Cheney, John Boner, perhaps McCain once again?
We liberals own this country and there is nothing you all can do but sit behind a computer and whine like little girls.

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Pirate you need to hang a silkscreen of Michael Moore on your living room wall next to Obamster, Kennedy and the Unicorn. Is it boring at Daily Kos these days?

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Good. I hope none of them ever vote again.

Mark1971 on August 31, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Is that why we already have ObamaCare and cap-and-trade and amnesty? Hmmmm?

ddrintn on August 31, 2009 at 8:54 PM

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM

CWforFreedom: So far,this Liberal Administration,has put
America in record debt,and has all most piss
ed off every nation on the planet,except for
the Terrorist Nations!

Just try`n to be helpful CWoF!!:)

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

ok fool, finish your milk & cookies and off to bed with ya……

SHARPTOOTH on August 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Zogby is a fraud… he always is looking for a headline…

ninjapirate on August 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

The “headline’s” coming from the feller you can’t see yet something smells funny, NP. And to think, we thought we had a contender instead of a pretender. Meanwhile, Pelosi’s stuck in her Berkeley ivory tower and the broom’s just warming up. Look for the squeeker of the house to step out of her 24/7 wind tunnel that keeps her face in place, and remind us all again how unAmerican we are.

Rovin on August 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM

All this while the MSM is 120% in the tank for Obumbler.

One might think that an attack would bolster the Won’s numbers but that is when they really tank thanks to his soft on terrorism foreign policy. If on does happen look for impeachment hearings.

jukin on August 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

keep the change on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

And then The Big One!

Massive, massive tax increases on every possible thing in the country.

Buh Bye Barry

Ogabe on August 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Afrolib: Ugh,AL,its apparent the KOOL-AID is doing your
talking!

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Off the bridge into the drink!

Obama is the “messiah” who fell to earth.

wildcat84 on August 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Hey pirate, heres a clue that might help you, the fraud lives in a white house.

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I’m saving this quote for later…

… like when hyper-inflation kicks in.

Seven Percent Solution on August 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM

AfroIdiot…just what has this liberal govt. brought you? A check? you are hilarious. You might as well be owned

CWforFreedom on August 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Well, you certainly know how to make good news sound bad, Allah Pundit.

Alana on August 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM

We liberals own this country…

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Yet another thing to add to the “what would happen if a conservative/Republican/etc. had said this?” list.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM

18-29-year-old First Globals

What in the world is a First Global? Sounds like a bailed-out bank.

Mary in LA on August 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I know what this means!!

Team Obama needs a New Distraction,like yesterday!!

canopfor on August 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Great point can…..pill factory job opernings just jumped 50% all over the world.

Rovin on August 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Remember it was only 10 days ago we thought Zogby was crazy. I chimed in and said we have to see if Rasmussen can eventually verify these numbers.

Well today the Rasmussen daily tracking poll came in at 46/53. I would say that was confirmation of the August 20th Zogby poll.

Now again let’s see if Rasmussen can once again verify this steady decline into no man’s land regarding Obama’s approval numbers.

technopeasant on August 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I’ll feel better when he hits 15%.

TXMomof3 on August 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Won’t happen. The absolute lowest he can hit is the sum total of blacks who will still support him at 90%+, the number of hardcore leftists, and the number of complete idiots.

Which is about 30%.

wildcat84 on August 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

from Reuters: TROOP INCREASE DIFFICULT

A further increase could be politically difficult for Obama, with members of his Democratic Party increasingly uneasy about the war and congressional elections due next year.

The White House sought on Monday to pin the blame for the grave state of the war in Afghanistan on the Bush administration, which made Iraq its top military priority.

“This was underresourced, underfunded, undermanned and ignored for years,” White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

“The president is focused on ensuring that we meet measurable benchmarks. … It’s going to take some doing.”
______________________________________________________

My question: What and where are the benchmarks?

ICBM on August 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM

New Zogby poll shows Obama’s approval at … 42%

me likey, even if it is Zogby….

_________
the man is cruisin’ for a bruisin’

cmsinaz on August 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Not to worry–ACORN will fix it in 2010, what with the black panthers, union members, and dead people trolling the polls.

God bless Glen Beck.

texanpride on August 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

These trolls don’t have any fight in ‘em. We need fresh ones.

ElectricPhase on August 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM

wildcat84 on August 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

You don’t think idiots can learn? I am hoping they can.

TXMomof3 on August 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Many pardons for the OT. Posted it on wrong thread.

ICBM on August 31, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Hey Chris Matthews, that tingle in your leg is pirate at your backside. Be nice to him. I think you’ll like him too!

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Goin Down is a good song. heh heh

sonnyspats1 on August 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I wonder if the Won is going to give a speech about how he saved his poll numbers, just like the one he gave after he “saved the economy” from free fall.

Like he said before….when he was perfectly clear.

ted c on August 31, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Won’t happen. The absolute lowest he can hit is the sum total of racist blacks who will still support him at 90%+, the number of hardcore leftists, and the number of complete idiots.

Which is about 30%.

wildcat84 on August 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

FIFY.

TMK on August 31, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Your analysis makes sense, except that you leave out the fall-out from going far left and pushing through the public option. It will tear the country apart. The “angry mobs” will explode, and the media will no longer be able to avoid the fact that Obama is the most divisive president in history. Voters will kick him to the curb because they don’t like that kind of divisiveness. He may get it through, but it’ll be the beginning of the end for him. And repealing ObamaCare will be THE only issue in 2012.

Rational Thought on August 31, 2009 at 9:05 PM

We liberals own this country…
Afrolib on August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Bwahahahahahaha….I can’t catch my breath to post. About like MSNBC owns the ratings. Bwahahahahaha.

kingsjester on August 31, 2009 at 9:06 PM

No money? Try 5 billion. No Support? Allah, you forgot about Acorn (and the multitude of organizations therein) & the Unions.

It might look like a gift, but I don’t underestimate this machine.

seesalrun on August 31, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Imagine what it would be if the press was honest

bill30097 on August 31, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Speaking of an honest press, how many are watching MSNBC tonight?

bluegrass on August 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM