Quotes of the day

posted at 9:30 pm on August 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

“But if you are sympathetic to Kennedy and his politics, as I am, you’re mindful that the accident at Chappaquiddick happened in 1969, the year after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. (Ted, just 36 and the last of the brothers, shouldered the burden of 11 more fatherless nieces and nephews.) You’re also willing to measure the benefits that Kennedy brought to countless people through his politics, and give them proper weight on the scales of the man’s record. Finally, if you measure his capacity to reform himself, you tip the scales further

For some women, reverence for Kennedy stopped with Chappaquiddick. The rest of us have a very different view: Kennedy had the gift of time to make amends, and we were the beneficiaries of that.”

***
“We are all flawed, and most of us are weak, and in hellish moments, at a split-second’s notice, confronting the choice that will define us ever after, many of us will fail the test. Perhaps Mary Jo could have been saved; perhaps she would have died anyway. What is true is that Edward Kennedy made her death a certainty. When a man (if you’ll forgive the expression) confronts the truth of what he has done, what does honor require?

Ted Kennedy went a different route. He got kitted out with a neck brace and went on TV and announced the invention of the ‘Kennedy curse,’ a concept that yoked him to his murdered brothers as a fellow victim — and not, as Mary Jo perhaps realized in those final hours, the perpetrator. He dared us to call his bluff, and, when we didn’t, he made all of us complicit in what he’d done. We are all prey to human frailty, but few of us get to inflict ours on an entire nation…

The senator’s actions in the hours and days after emerging from that pond tell us something ugly about Kennedy the man. That he got away with it tells us something ugly about American public life.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It’s a sign of our times when Michael Vick got in more trouble over what he did to dogs than Edward Kennedy did for what he did to Mary Jo. Human life is more valuable.

Herb on August 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM

The problem is the two entities that each claim to hold dear to themselves,Vick (NFL), and Ted K (Catholic Church) each show that MONEY is their only real function by elevating each in status above far more fitting people.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Good point.

Cindy Munford on August 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Ted is an evil sleezebag.His bad soooooo outways any good he MAY have done. The world today is a safer place.

billyb on August 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Teddy loved Treason

Kennedy sent his close friend, former California state Sen. John Tunney, to Moscow with a secret message to Andropov: Help the Democrats battle Reagan in the 1984 presidential election, and in return Kennedy would help Andropov in dealing with Reagan.

Kennedy promised to visit Moscow and prep the Soviets on effective propaganda. “The main purpose of the meeting, according to the senator, would be to arm Soviet officials with explanations regarding problems of nuclear disarmament so they may be better prepared and more convincing during appearances in the USA,” states the Soviet memo.

faraway on August 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Now that the ‘swimmer’ is planted the libs need to stop all of the Teddy necrophilia.

farright on August 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

When President Reagan chose to confront the Soviet Union, calling it the evil empire that it was, Sen. Edward Kennedy chose to offer aid and comfort to General Secretary Andropov. On the Cold War, the greatest issue of his lifetime, Kennedy got it wrong.

Ted Kennedy’s Soviet Gambit

faraway on August 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Thanks for reminding me of my favorite Tombstone. We have a growing collection of Kurt Russell flicks, and that should be included. That was one of the last performances by Val Kilmer that I enjoyed, along with the Ghost in the Darkness. Talk about a talent wasted, schade Kilmer’s latest Western.

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Oh Lord, the Kennedy family are like cock roaches. Please stomp them all out.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

faraway on August 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Literally, Teddy was a TRAITOR to America and to his brothers.

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

To be clear, are you stating that the only real function of the Catholic Church is money?

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

“Now you listen to me, Sean. You’re not gonna, you might have it other places, but you don’t interrupt me when I’m talkin’!”
“….and were gonna start…with the ’96 campaign….to reelect Bill Clinton….as unreelectable as the rest of us! *burp*”

Lanceman on August 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

My three favorite movies of all time, TIED @ #1

Tombstone, Braveheart & Patton

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

ENOUGH OF THIS TED KENNEDY HAGIOGRAPHY;
There’s got to be some real news out there some where!
How about the joke of the week from the White House about their “FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY”?

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Great choices.

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Well, considering their evident ambivalence toward those politicians that are pro-abortion and their refusal to rid their membership of those I consider accessories to murder.
I’d have to logically say YES!
We already see thirty six years of looking the other way on this point, as well as at least sixty years of their looking the other way regarding another abuse of children.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

And so, since you are indeed stating that the only real function of the Catholic Church is money, what does that make of all those people who are Catholics?

Just to be clear about that, as well.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Hear! Hear!

acknowledge, move on

cmsinaz on August 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Just to be clear about that, as well.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Many if not most are well meaning sincerely religious people that still embrace the teachings of the Catholic religion, but unfortunately they didn’t leave the church, the church left them.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

That’s NOT entirely true, because that statement I made makes it sound like this is a recent problem, it isn’t, it’s been going on for centuries.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

agree with you there….Hypocrisy is one of the reasons I left the church

cmsinaz on August 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Disappointing. I thought you were saying Ted’s function to the church was money, which is how I see it, which is why I was so disappointed.

I guess it is unavoidable for any discussion that involves the Catholic church to not degenerate into a “the church is evil” thread. I have no defense for the legacy of child sexual abuse within the Catholic church – there simply is none.

I do not feel that the church is unreformable or that it should be abolished for what, in the end, was no as proliferative as the Left/media would have you believe.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

So, they’re well meaning and sincerely religious, but the Catholic Church left them. When did the Church leave them?

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Just to be clear, was it thirty-six years ago? Or, sixty years ago? And, regardless of which, after all that time, Catholics still haven’t figured out the Church left them, and is only concerned about money? And so, given how long this has been going on, what does that mean about Catholics who haven’t yet figured this out?

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM

cmsinaz on August 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I came back. And so did many of the people I know in my parish – to make a better church, to make it the church we grew up in and to make it a church our children could be a part of – something we could all be proud of.

It’s the same reason I’m still a member of the GOP.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Two points: Point one, you are ABSOLUTELY correct, Ted means $ to the Catholic Church.
Point two: Since the 1950s there strong leftist element that started to infiltrate the Catholic seminaries. These turned into the leftist priests that demonstrated for social causes in the 1960s. Why some causes were noble such as Fr. Groppi and open housing in the mid 1960s in Milwaukee, they then mutated into the far leftist Communist priests that started in the late sixties, and became entrenched into the American Catholic church today.
Show me ten Catholic priests, and I’ll show you at least 7 die hard Communists.
As a sidebar, starting many many decades ago, but really coming into their own in the fifties was the homosexual seminarians that really grew in number until at least the late seventies, and probably beyond that added to this strange moral church dilemma.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM

36 years Roe V WAde, 60 years ago the infiltration of leftists in Catholic seminaries, along with a definite upturn in homosexuals in seminaries.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I’m happy for you and many blessings for you and your parish, but there were many reasons for my leaving. I found a new church that I’m very happy to be a part of now.

cmsinaz on August 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM

It means what it ALWAYS means, the PEOPLE are the REAL church

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM

cmsinaz on August 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM

It’s the same reason I’m still a member of the GOP.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I applaud your efforts

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I definitely witnessed the shift Left as a child in the 70-80′s in my school/parish in OH. But in my parish/school now in MA, it is distinctly conservative.

I guess I feel the same way about the church as I do the GOP in that I’d rather have a small, committed to principles organization than an all-are-welcome open door policy. I think the church does great things, even with all the ill-gotten funds, but I’d prefer they get distinctly more picky about where the money comes from, even if it means limiting the mission. Hey, look at how much they’ll save when the Obama admin nationalizes Catholic hospitals and clinics.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Amen!! Enough is enough!

becki51758 on August 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I definitely witnessed the shift Left as a child in the 70-80’s in my school/parish in OH. But in my parish/school now in MA, it is distinctly conservative.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I think part of that is a problem every religion today has. Wanting to expand, but having to, let’s be kind, rephrase their beliefs to water down their meaning to become an ever less exclusive club of anything goes religion.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM

the mainline protestants have the same problem…they’re mostly a bunch of left-wing wackos…like the ELCA recent embrace of homosexuality…

you pretty much have to go non-denomination or pentecostal/baptist to find any fidelity to scripture…

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I agree. I repeat my earlier assertion – we are getting exactly what we deserve. It just breaks my hear to think of what my daughter might have to live through.

I never thought I would sound nostalgic about my country or my church this young in life.

Nice talking with all of you – time to get something done.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

ENOUGH OF THIS TED KENNEDY HAGIOGRAPHY;
There’s got to be some real news out there some where!

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Cyber, calm down, there’s plenty of other threads. I’ve waited at least 40 years to see Ted Kennedy planted and on his way to hell. Allow those people waiting 4 decades a bit more fun blasting the guy and his disgusting family.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Nice talking with all of you – time to get something done.

gopmom on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Nice speaking with you too

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

That’s true.I grew up Catholic, switched to Lutheran and it’s hard to maintain the ultra conservativev ideals when the fastest growing churches are the anything goes lets all feel good about ourselves churches.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Alt. headline:

There may be an eternal flame for Teddy, but it won’t be in Arlington.

profitsbeard on August 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Every Christian denomination has members who sin in word, deed and by omission. Every single denomination. None are perfect. And I include the Catholic Church. I’m sure we could make a very long list of the sins associated with every denomination and their members. The thing is, regardless of denomination, for we believers, our church is more than any member or leader, or all of us combined. There is another element, a sacred element that survives regardless of the weakness of any member or even all members.

So, I don’t see the benefit of going about making very broad disparaging claims about other Christians and their churches by name because of the actions or inactions of one, a few or even many. This doesn’t promote Christian fellowship, nor political teamwork, it simply promotes division, distrust and hostility. It can also give the impression of bias and if spoken enough, that whole groups of people are not welcome at a given candidate’s table, or in a given party’s tent, or in an ideological movement. But perhaps you see a benefit to your approach that I do not.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

My only point of mentioning any of this was seeing a Cardinal, and a group of I believe them to be priests, performing a burial rite within the Catholic Church as if this man was near saint material. Hew as a killer, he abused women, he supported infanticide, and his funeral in a Catholic Church is just the ending of 50 years of Catholic Church hypocrisy in the burials and annulments of this evil family, as well as a reminder of the membership in the Church, in the early days of the Kennedy story, of great Kennedy supporters like Sam Giancana, and the rest of his mafia family.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Prediction: Within one generation, nobody will have heard of Ted Kennedy.

JiangxiDad on August 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

yeah you believers in the church…uh huh..this is problem…

yeah I do, its called the TRUTH…and it hurts very often…but I’ve noticed you’re more interested in other things…

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy and others have not helped the church’s standing. They stand up and try to represent the faith, but do not follow the true church beliefs and teaching.

TXMomof3 on August 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Very well said.
Kennedy was nothing but a jerk,, a drunk,,a sleazebag.
Yeah,, I heard too that Hitler also like Disney cartoons and was not a bad artist. He also was nice with his dog and a certain movie star, right up until he ordered them dead.
Libtards sit around and talk to other libtards. They may have great salaries, they may have nice titles and expensive clothes,, but,, like the people they worship,, they are all really ugly and stink to high heaven.

JellyToast on August 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

TXMomof3 on August 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

So when are the other member going to shout them down, force them out of their church?

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

don’t hold your breath….

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I know, I can’t stand people like Warren…

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

“A blond in very pond

drjohn on August 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

don’t hold your breath….

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I look at it this way. If you belong to a church that has as it’s membership truly evil people, and the church doesn’t remove them, you leave the church or you might as well be saying you support their actions and lifestyle.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

BINGO!!! absolutely true!

I left the liberal lutherans a long time ago…(ELCA) these mainline protestant movements were supporting communist revolutionary movements throughout the world..any church that is a member of the national, or world council of churches is a waste of time…

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

right4life on August 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Well, for the time being, I’ll stick with the ultra conservative Lutheran branch.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Massachusetts buried a real public servant and here yesterday.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I meant, and a true hero.

TheBigOldDog on August 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM

“But if you are sympathetic to Kennedy and his politics, as I am, you’re mindful that the accident at Chappaquiddick happened in 1969, the year after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. (Ted, just 36 and the last of the brothers, shouldered the burden of 11 more fatherless nieces and nephews.)”

I saw a retrospective this week on the Kennedy brothers on PBS. It was all “Ted was overburdened by stress, responsibility and expectations and just went crazy for awhile, it’s not his fault.” Incredibly lame. Many liberal commentators say that Mary Jo’s sacrifice was worth it as it was only one life versus the many helped. To them I ask, which one of your children, or family members if childless, would you be willing to sacrifice to further your political agenda? It is easy when it is someone else’s kid that pays the price.

The Opinionator on August 30, 2009 at 11:53 AM

The Opinionator on August 30, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Very true…and that was the most idiotic piece of logic regarding a sacrifice. Liberals are delusional.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Why are the lefties saying that what Ted did is essentially the same as what Laura Bush did?

Are they that dumb or what?

Joe Caps on August 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Rational Thought on August 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM

+1000. Your grandmother has excellent vision.

unclesmrgol on August 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

or, rather, your mother.

unclesmrgol on August 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM

As a former Catholic of Irish descent, it has always turned my stomach to see hoards of Americans bow down to this bullsh!t idol, and the clan that spawned him.

In a perfect world we would be done with the Kennedy Clan. Too bad we don’t live in a perfect world…

Gang-of-One on August 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM

And why aren’t you out trying to be rid of the uberliberal Lutheran branch, as you ask Catholics the same question?

Hypocrisy.

atheling on August 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM
I’m a Catholic school survivor; Spare me any sermons; In Judaism, it’s “sitting shiva”. Only seven days for the mourning. For Islam, It’s three days. In this case, we should apply Islamic belief. I don’t think God will care.

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Hypocrisy.

atheling on August 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM

How do you do that, they’re entirely different and have nothing to do with each other. It’s like two entirely different religions. Besides if I remember they’re starting to do the gay marriage thing that CATHOLIC politicians promote so well.They’re more your allies.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I’m a Catholic school survivor too, and I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Iowahawk has a very interesting a similar story about a noted Wisconsin family…the LION of LEINENKUGEL

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Jeff from WI on August 31, 2009

Jeff, your personal disdain for the Catholic church is not serving you well. You may find yourself happier once you get past it. The failings of Ted Kennedy, Pelosi, et al are not the failings of the church. The failure of their bishops to excommunicate them reflect badly on the church in your eyes, but still that is not a failure of the church; just of people within the church who should know better. My leftist, POS representative lives in our parish and attends the same Cathoic church that I do. That doesn’t make my church or my parish bad. If he ends up voting for Obamacare and Bishop D’Arcy doesn’t seek to excommunicate him, well…I will think less of D’Arcy, but not the church. D’Arcy isn’t the church. He’s just another failed, imperfect human stumbling along his own faith journey, like the rest of us. I will look for Jesus within my own imperfect Catholic heart and trust others to find Him in theirs.

SKYFOX on August 31, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Well spoken, SKYFOX.

either orr on August 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Ditto what SKYFOX said.

Jeff from WI is a bigot, is all.

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 12:01 PM