It’s come to this: Dems task Teddy’s grandson with leading funeral prayer for ObamaCare

posted at 2:09 pm on August 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

The boss has been writing about the left’s use of kids as sympathetic “human shields” for their policies for years and years, but even so, I’m amazed. I thought the moral authority of the religious setting would create enough cover for Obama or whoever to toss a few bones to health care in their eulogies; I guess, like Karl says, they were skittish after the Wellstone memorial fiasco and figured they couldn’t take any chances. Enter this poor little boy, charged with politicizing a prayer because the gutless pols around him didn’t have the balls to do it themselves.

Incidentally, after linking this on Twitter, I’ve been informed by liberal amateur theologians that it’s perfectly kosher to pray for universal health care — on TV, in the middle of a national debate, at a funeral service ostensibly devoted to grieving over someone, by exploiting an innocent child — because, um, Jesus would have supported it. I’m happy to discover that the left’s decades of righteous outrage at Christian conservatives for mixing religion with politics was, as so much else is, simple partisan posturing, but I’m unfamiliar with the sermon where Jesus called for Caesar to create a public fund to heal the sick. Can any Bible aficionados help? Exit question: Anyone have any young’uns at home they’d be willing to volunteer to lead prayers at the next big GOP funeral? We might as well make use of the camera time while we have it. “Dear god, please grant us the strength to privatize social security and construct a robust missile defense shield. We pray to the Lord.” Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Yes, “Second Teddy, 1 chapter, verses 1-13″.
Right after the chapter where Teddy changes the water into Scotch.
And just before the Third Chapter where he and Dodd transform the waitress…
The only advantage of using their Kennedy kids, is that presumably the kids are at least sober when speaking.

right2bright on August 31, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I don’t want to be startin something, but has no one made the connection yet?

He goes to hawaii and Racist typical white granny dies…

He goes to Marthas Vineyard and Teddy Bottoms Up Keneddy Dies…

BillaryMcBush on August 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Mike Gallgher just gave AP a shout out…and read his comments on his radio show.

ladyingray on August 31, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Heh. I thought Bill Bennett was still on.
ladyingray, you’re right, it’s Mike G.

AP, Malkin and HotAir!

Little boy prop.

maverick muse on August 31, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Obama called Ted Kennedy the SOUL OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY.

hm

maverick muse on August 31, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Too soon?

U.S.S. Ted Kennedy.

Yakko77 on August 31, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I don’t want to be startin something, but has no one made the connection yet?

He goes to hawaii and Racist typical white granny dies…

He goes to Marthas Vineyard and Teddy Bottoms Up Keneddy Dies…

BillaryMcBush on August 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

LOL Oh you are bad. LOL

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Teddy’s funeral reminds me of something interesting about eulogies: If he had been an innocent bystander who heard Mary Jo’s car go into the water, and risked life and limb to rescue her, his eulogizers would have brought it up as an example of his sterling character — it would have been presented as a “signature” event that summed up the man.

However, since he left Mary Jo to die, revealing his astounding lack of good character, courage, etc., it wasn’t mentioned. No one wants to remember it as a signature event that summed up the man.

And here’s a Bible verse that I think should have been included in his service: Proverbs 16:8:

“Better is a little with righteousness
Than great wealth with injustice.”

KyMouse on August 31, 2009 at 9:53 AM

In the comment above, I think had in the back of my mind the way people referred to Ronald Reagan’s having saved someone from drowning, when he was a lifeguard, as a signature event that revealed his character. Am I remembering that correctly?

KyMouse on August 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I don’t want to be startin something, but has no one made the connection yet?

He goes to hawaii and Racist typical white granny dies…

He goes to Marthas Vineyard and Teddy Bottoms Up Keneddy Dies…

BillaryMcBush on August 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Maybe we should let him sit down with Dinner Jacket after all.

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM

KyMouse on August 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I think you are remembering correctly. They did mention it alot. But I think he was a lifeguard for many years and saved a huge number of people from drowning, not just one.

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM

There are many inaccuracies, distortions and vulgar insults on this thread that I will not be responding to, and I already explained why in my last post on page 6 at 1:56AM. (and I apologize for the misspeaking, I was tired. Obviously I meant Arabic. I have mentioned it before correctly. Its pretty basic and I’m sure most here understood the mistype.)

And I agree with those of you who don’t think these discussions belong on this thread and even on this website. I come here to read about politics. But at times some egregious statements are made about my faith and many of us cannot be silent in response. This thread is by far the worst example of that I’ve seen here.

So while many of my words have been twisted here (as well as the words of others) and many falsehoods about what I believe have been presented, I will only be responding to one thing.

I write this to any nonChristian reading this who is reading in good faith and with good will. Because I want them to be clear on one thing.

Those holy Jewish people who marched to their death praying to God are PRECISELY THE PEOPLE I WAS TALKING ABOUT who had the implicit faith that my Church says may save nonChristians. (as I explained in the first post on page 6 in detail.) Especially including the Shema, His beautiful prayers from the ancient Scriptures, that Jesus Himself prayed.

Obviously no one knows who is saved and who isn’t (including if I am saved) so no one can say definitely. So we say “may” be saved, because we believe in a just and merciful God. Those who praise Him in their last minutes may be given the grace of the full truth in Jesus Christ in their last moments. When I was talking about the moments between life and death, I was talking about a split second. Because God is outside of time and space and a second to Him can be like a thousand years.

I believe the ranks of the holy martyrs I was talking about were filled with those devout Jews who suffered so much in those camps, but never forgot the Lord and put their trust and faith in Him, even to the end. Praise God. If I, a poor sinner, have love/charity for those good people, then how much more would our perfect and generous God in Heaven.

In Heaven there is no untruth, only truth. So we will all be of the same faith, one way or the other. If God personally presented Himself to me in the last moments of my life and said that for some reason I was wrong in my beliefs, I would discard them and believe only His truth. I doubt that would happen, because the Lord has proven some things to me through His grace. So I imagine that anyone who loves God and loves truth, as I do, would respond to God the same way. Only sin separates us from God. Including the sins of pride, obstinance, indifference and hatred.

There were holy Jews and Christians who died in those camps. None of them should ever be forgotten or minimized.

May God have mercy on all of us.

_________________-

Some words of our Holy Father, Pope Benedict, this year at Yad Vashem:

Professing our steadfast trust in God, we give voice to that cry using words from the Book of Lamentations which are full of significance for both Jews and Christians:

“The favors of the Lord are not exhausted, his mercies are not spent;
They are renewed each morning, so great is his faithfulness.
My portion is the Lord, says my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
Good is the Lord to the one who waits for him, to the soul that seeks him;
It is good to hope in silence for the saving help of the Lord” (Lam 3:22-26).

Elisa on August 31, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Maybe we should let him sit down with Dinner Jacket after all.

Laura in Maryland on August 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Or Pelosi….

right2bright on August 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I don’t want to be startin something, but has no one made the connection yet?

He goes to hawaii and Racist typical white granny dies…

He goes to Marthas Vineyard and Teddy Bottoms Up Keneddy Dies…

BillaryMcBush on August 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Yeah, and he goes to DC and America dies.

atheling on August 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM

It’s ok, because Sarah Palin brought her kids to a political event.

/getalife

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 31, 2009 at 2:54 PM

The Pope had the nicest things to say at Ted’s going away party being Catholic and all.

lasertex on August 31, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Who was the fat kid?

LtE126 on August 31, 2009 at 6:21 PM

LtE126 on August 31, 2009 at 6:21 PM

LOL – the little one with the long hair? Not sure whose child he is, but I’m betting he has a few tabloid headlines in his future…

D2Boston on September 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM