It’s come to this: Dems task Teddy’s grandson with leading funeral prayer for ObamaCare

posted at 2:09 pm on August 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

The boss has been writing about the left’s use of kids as sympathetic “human shields” for their policies for years and years, but even so, I’m amazed. I thought the moral authority of the religious setting would create enough cover for Obama or whoever to toss a few bones to health care in their eulogies; I guess, like Karl says, they were skittish after the Wellstone memorial fiasco and figured they couldn’t take any chances. Enter this poor little boy, charged with politicizing a prayer because the gutless pols around him didn’t have the balls to do it themselves.

Incidentally, after linking this on Twitter, I’ve been informed by liberal amateur theologians that it’s perfectly kosher to pray for universal health care — on TV, in the middle of a national debate, at a funeral service ostensibly devoted to grieving over someone, by exploiting an innocent child — because, um, Jesus would have supported it. I’m happy to discover that the left’s decades of righteous outrage at Christian conservatives for mixing religion with politics was, as so much else is, simple partisan posturing, but I’m unfamiliar with the sermon where Jesus called for Caesar to create a public fund to heal the sick. Can any Bible aficionados help? Exit question: Anyone have any young’uns at home they’d be willing to volunteer to lead prayers at the next big GOP funeral? We might as well make use of the camera time while we have it. “Dear god, please grant us the strength to privatize social security and construct a robust missile defense shield. We pray to the Lord.” Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

WHERE THE HELL IS JOAN??? LOL

D2Boston on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Poor Joan. She’s the one who really went through hell and back with him and got no credit for it. Sophia Nelson wrote an interesting column on her. Fair warning though, it’s at the Huffington Post.

macblanegirl on August 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Maybe it was just me.

However I don’t feel any ispration about this speech.

Lipstick on a pig is a pig wearing lipstick.

F15Mech on August 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM

The formal ceremony was about as proper as anyone could get.

Personally, I think criticizing it is nuts.

It was properly boring.

AnninCA on August 30, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I have to say, that the kid comes by it naturally, considering that his own grandfather did it just weeks before his death, in a letter delivered to His Holiness, the Pope, by none other than the lead commie himself, Obummer. That letter was read today by the priest presiding over the burial at Arlington. It was more a touting of his so-called accomplishments than a plea for prayer and absolution. In the letter Kennedy gave a Senate style speech to the Pope relating to the passage of HR3200 among other things. Political maneuvering from the grave. I have followed the services etc out of respect for his passing, until I heard the letter being read today. I was appalled. First, that what should have been a private missive between a dying man and his priest, was turned into a shameless political stunt by the man himself, and second that the letter sounded like he was writing his own glowing eulogy of his “good deeds”. I kept wondering why the Pope never made a public statement regarding his death. The old man is obviously no dummy, and the written response was from one of his minions, not from him. Guess he wasn’t impressed either.
A note to Mr Kennedy: NO government health care!!

“You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.” AMEN

hopefloats on August 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM

DO IT FOR PAUL WELLSTONE! NO WAIT DO IT FOR TED!

lanesmerge on August 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I’m just glad it’s over (the funeral anyway). Why in God’s name did Fox feel the need to provide so much coverage of this turgid travesty?

WarEagle01 on August 30, 2009 at 1:43 AM

My theory is that the Jesus of the New Testament is a composite character and includes elements of more than one “Yeshu”.

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM

You are certainly entitled to your “theory.”

Elisa on August 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Did we just watch this kid release his first ad to run for a political office? I guess on Monday morning he will be on NBC telling a drooling Matt Lauer and leaking Chris Mathews about the need for a constitutional amendment
( healthcare as a fundamental right blah blah) vote for a Kennedy to replace Ted’s senate seat, 47 million u ninsured blaah bllllahhhhh

macncheez on August 30, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Rokemronnie,

Many of the things you have said do not follow from logic and reason. Like God cannot make Himself become man. Or that it would be impossible for the Sanhedrin to call an illegal nighttime court, to unjustly sentence someone in the night, when they might not be able to do it in the day. Yes, we’ve never seen injustice in the history of practically every government. And Paul, a Pharisee, could never have worked for a Sadducee, even though the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Also you have stated some incorrect history about the early Church fathers and you have your own interpretation of Scripture.

That you know how to read the Old Testament in Hebrew and have been educated does not prove anything. I know of several priests who read it in the original Hebrew and/or read the New Testament in the original Greek and/or read the Koran in Aramaic. Their interpretations of Scripture are different than yours.

That you read it in Hebrew and are educated doesn’t mean that you are correct or that you have learned the full truth.

But I will tell you why I WILL NOT RESPOND TO YOU ANYMORE and why I am UNCONVINCED BY YOUR ARGUMENTS AND DEFENSES.

It’s because I believe you are DISINGENUOUS. I believe your main point here is to share your hatred of Christianity. You took the opportunity to insult all of us Christians and you stated that you didn’t care. Even though so many have posted charitable posts explaining.

Here is what I mean. You said in your defense:

I’m well aware of that. That’s why I was so surprised to see the charge of deicide posted in a comment here. That the charge went unchallenged by any posters except myself shows that it has some currency with HotAir readers, which is troubling.

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM

So the reason you began to insult Christians was because we were all silent while Jews were insulted and that means that many here hate Jews?

This thread started at 2:09PM.

Then half an hour later:

Only the Pharisee, who would travel the earth and compass seas to create a believer who was twice the child of hell, and then killed God because he would not bow to them and he would cause them the lose political power, have anything on liberal politicians

flytier on August 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Whether the statement was called for or not, he was talking about some Pharisees who existed 2,000 years ago. Not Jews today. Not all Jews then. Not even all Pharisees then.

You replied only 11 minutes later:

I sincerely hope the following causes you much distress.

The Roman’s killed your false messiah who was most likely the bastard son of a Roman soldier. He died failing to bring about the kingdom of God.

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM

(Side note: You will be happy to know that, yes, that disgusting statement does cause some of us distress. But it may one day cause you more distress.)

So YOUR CLAIM that you retaliated because no one else here defended Jews CANNOT BE TRUE. Many may not have even read that isolated post or even understood it. And in 11 minute not many would have had time to reply. And we ignore many isolated statements here.

And your statements were hateful and escalated things needlessly.

Then you repeated again and again “charges of deicide” and “killing God,” even though numerous people said we do not believe that. And even though there is no danger in this country of Jews being killed for that reason.

Stop bashing Christians, please.

bridgetown on August 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Stop calling us Christ killers, please.

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM

When no one has called you that here, certainly not bridgetown. Only one person mentioned what some Jews and Romans did unknowingly. (His death was all our fault.)
Some people may say hateful things about Jews, but we didn’t here.

You have gleefully made hateful statements about Christianity.

As for the second coming (is the Messiah multi-orgasmic?) . . .

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I literally don’t give a damn if I offend Christians. Christians routinely say stuff that is pretty offensive to Jews if they wanted to get upset. Your entire faith is based on the notion that my rabbi is a deceiver. That’s pretty offensive.

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM

That is not what our faith is based on. Another distortion. Another needless insult. We here have not said stuff that is pretty offensive” to Jews. Having a difference of opinion and belief is not an offense to me. I am never insulted when someone charitably disagrees with me, even if they think I am not saved.

And it is pretty obvious that you don’t “give a damn.”

May God have mercy on us.

Good night everyone and God bless you.

Elisa on August 30, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Sorry my quoting was out of whack.

Elisa on August 30, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I watched the Mass with my mom and dad today, and when we heard the tyke pray for ‘health care for all’, we were all disgusted at the insincerity that the child could not pray from his heart – as intercessory prayer should be.

And, regarding

Anyone following the movements of the Catholic Church in recent months would know that it is not in favor of the current healthcare bill in the States. A shame to put a kid in a position contrary to the teachings of his faith.

DeoGratias on August 30, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Before he read his prayer, his family checked it over to make sure it didn’t stipulate that members of Congress had to have the same universal care as the rest of us.

pedestrian on August 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM

As for the poor Jews, many of them holy martyrs, who died in those disgusting camps, HOW DO YOU KNOW how many or if any “consciously rejected Jesus?” Were you there and are you God?

You were not their either. I will say, however, that I personally know a number of survivors who exhibited monumental faith in God as Jews in the camps. People who scavenged kernels of wheat and instead of eating them to assuage their hunger, saved them to make Matzahs for Passover so they could observe God’s commandments. Jews who used threads unraveled from their raggedly camp uniforms as wicks for Chanukah candles. As Elie Weisel said, they thought that their bodies were keeping their souls alive but in reality it was the other way around. According to Samuel Heilman, a sociologist who has studied and surveyed survivors, a minority of Jews abandoned their faith due to their experiences in the Holocaust. A majority who started out as religious, observant Jews, continued to be religious after their experiences in the camps. Interestingly, he found that a significant number that had been irreligious or atheists before the Holocaust had become observant Jews as a result of their experiences. A statistically insignificant number adopted other faiths. Those who didn’t stay or become religious became either atheists, agnostics or non-observant. Jews have always fought with God. While we may fight with God, we typically don’t join the other team.

Hmmm. “Many of them holy martyrs”? Would those martyrs include any Jews who died in a conscious state of rejection of Jesus, or do only Christians get to be martyrs for God? You care about the Edith Steins, not the Shalom Smolinskys. The Shalom Smolinksys can burn in hell while the Nazis who killed them say the magic word and get a free pass to eternity in heaven. They may spend some time in purgatory, but eventually get to be at God’s right hand, unlike Shalom Smolinsky, who because he died as a believing Jew is now eternally in hell.

You care about the 3 thousand Catholic priests murdered by the Nazis, but you express no grief at the murder of tens of thousands of rabbis. Father Kolbe may have been a good man, but was he more saintly than Rabbi Elchanon Wasserman, who left the safety of America and returned to eastern Europe so he could continue to mentor his students?

You care about Edith Stein because she converted to Catholicism. Her family? Not so much. You could care less about Shalom Smolinsky, my great-grandfather. My grandfather was the last Smolinsky, his entire extended family was murdered by people that you think could have merited eternity at God’s side if they accepted Jesus. As a prominent Christian (not a Catholic, but raised and educated as one) said, one can commit a thousand murders and a thousand fornications and still be saved by Christ Jesus. Murder is, apparently, not as big a sin as rejecting Jesus.

Since you’re human being with a human heart, you instinctively know that’s wrong, so you have to come up with “but God revealed Jesus to them in their dying moments” to give you a dodge so you can avoid saying my alter-zayde is in hell. So let me get this straight. They believed in a lie their entire life, and God rewarded that belief by revealing to them, in their dying moments, that they believed in a lie. Now that’s a compassionate God, for sure.

So many Jews died affirming their faith as Jews that Eichman was able to recite the Shema, Hear O Israel, HaShem is our God, HaShem is One, to his Mossad captors, because he heard so many say it as they were murdered. It’s the same prayer said by Jews as your co-religionists burned them to death in earlier orgies of Jew hatred. I know it kinda flies in the face of what you’ve been taught about us mean, nasty Pharisees, but traditional Jews affirm their faith in God as they are dying. I hope, when the time comes, that my last word is “Echad”, “one”.

Instead of the hypothetical Nazi who confessed faith in Jesus on his deathbed (to quote Cynthia Ozick, let the Nazi be unshriven, sooner a fly to God than he), let me ask you about the fate of a real person, Dr. Gisella Perl, a religious Jew and an obstetrician, who worked in the “hospital ward” in Auschwitz.

Knowing what awaited pregnant women at the hand of Dr. Mengele and his vivisection “experiments”, Dr. Perl secretly aborted those pregnancies, saving the mothers’ lives and keeping them from Dr. Mengele. In one particularly horrific example, she had to terminate the pregnancy of a woman who had been one of her patients in Hungary, a woman who had difficulty conceiving. Perhaps due to her actions in saving the lives of those women, even if only for a few months, she merited surviving the Shoah. After transfer to Bergen-Belsen, she delivered the first “free” baby after the British liberated the camp. After liberation, she went on to deliver thousands of healthy Jewish babies, in the US and later Israel (along with many non-Jewish babies as well). One of those babies was delivered to that same woman she first treated in Sighet, Hungary, and then later aborted in Auschwitz. She saved hundreds of lives, at an unimaginable cost. Though she was forever tortured by the memories of what she had to do to save those women, she felt it was her religious duty to do so. “No one will ever know what it meant to me to destroy those babies, but if I had not done it, both mother and child would have been cruelly murdered.” Judaism permits, some might even say compels, abortion to save the life of the mother. In Jewish law one cannot ignore a certainty because of a possibility. Until birth the fetus is potential life, but the mothers were living, breathing people, who would certainly be killed if their pregnancies were revealed.

After her liberation, every time Dr. Perl would go into the delivery room she would say a prayer: “God, you owe me a life, a living baby.”

So tell me, please, what was the eternal fate of Dr. Perl? She passed away in 1988 and lived her entire life as an observant, believing Jew, fulfilling a promise she made to her father before starting medical school.

So who is more likely to be living in eternal reward and who is more likely to be living in eternal torment, a Christian Nazi who murdered Jews, or the Jewish abortionist who saved them?

rokemronnie on August 30, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Olympia snowe
this is off topic but it has to be posted here. She is going to cave and side with the libs on healthcare. Burn her phones at her offices. Pick a zip code or a town in Maine, call her office saying you represent a group of seniors and let her know she’s out if she votes with the libs. Better yet, take a page out of alinskys rules for radicals and say your moderate democrats against the bill. Stop her now before she caves! Call now!!

texaninfidel on August 30, 2009 at 3:28 AM

I would like to know how this thread got hijacked into a religious/theological debate about Jews and Christians… Maybe those of you would like biblical debate can give each other your emails and go there and leave the rest of us alone. I have never complained to a moderator, but this is going way overboard.
At another time, in a thread that is related to what you are discussing, maybe we would like a debate–NOT IN THIS THREAD.
I know I am not alone in asking you to continue your debate elsewhere.

lovingmyUSA on August 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM

even though the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

You must be confusing Jews with our cousins, the Arabs.

That’s quite a trick considering that the Koran is written in Arabic, not Aramaic. It’s the Talmud that’s mostly in Aramaic.

John David Scalamonti also can read the NT in the original Greek (interesting that, the original is Greek and not Hebrew, but I digress) and is pretty familiar with Christian theology, what with him having been an ordained Roman Catholic priest – a Jesuit I believe. He describes his spiritual journey and conversion to Judaism in his autobiography, Ordained To Be A Jew. Scalamonti’s experience is not entirely unheard of. Count Walenty Potocki was a Polish nobleman who, while studying Catholicism, became attracted to Judaism and converted, though it cost him his life. Was Potocki, known at the Vilna Ger Tzedek, a martyr like Edith Stein?

I never insulted Christians. I never said many here hate Jews. Sorry if you find my reluctance to kiss Christian ass to be insulting.

Nope. He was talking about the present. Here’s what he said:

flytier on August 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Note the present tense of the word “have”. Were he talking about the past he would have used the word “had”. That’s what I found most troubling, that he indicated that those evil Pharisees are still around. Pharisee is just another term for “rabbinic Jew”, so when people call Pharisees killers of God, they are calling me a killer of God.

What is disgusting about saying that Jesus was a false messiah or questioning his parentage (even Christians acknowledge that Joseph had nothing to do with his conception – and while we’re on the subject, just what was the nature of Jesus’ Y chromosome? Whose genetic material did it contain?). I may not make a lot of sense some of the time, but then none of the tenets of my faith are great mysteries.

And your statements were hateful and escalated things needlessly.

I’m not sure how one can escalate from a charge that has resulted in Jews getting murdered. I suppose that compared to the murder of Jews some folks may actually think that questioning the parentage of Jesus is hateful. They’re entitled to their opinion. Besides, who says that hate is necessarily a bad thing?

As David said,

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

You’re ignoring, of course, the posts that affirmed that Jews were indeed responsible for the death of Jesus.

While I believe that the United States is an exceptional place, it would be rather foolish for any Jew to think that any country will be eternally welcoming to Jews. Jews have had it good in other times and other places, only to see circumstances change and find themselves being expelled from the countries of their birth. Such things have happened during the lives of people still living.

Like Ronnie Reagan said, trust but verify.

You have gleefully made hateful statements about Christianity.

As for the second coming (is the Messiah multi-orgasmic?) . . .

How is that hateful? Ribald, risque and possibly in poor taste, but there is no hate there. I think orgasms are good things. Jewish law requires husbands to sexually satisfy their wives. Sex is a powerful thing, no doubt, but in the right context it’s a blessing, not a curse (Paul’s own self-loathing over his desires notwithstanding).

I literally don’t give a damn if I offend Christians.

O’ ye of little sense of humor. While I’m aware that my comments may offend Christians, that’s not my intent. I’m quite sure that if I tried, you’d really be offended. Still, there’s offensive and then there’s really offensive and disgusting, like the charge of deicide, something with a murderous history.

As far as I can tell, no Jews have used anything remotely related to what I’ve said here to justify the murder of Christians. You cannot say the same about Christians accusing Jews of killing God.

That is not what our faith is based on. Another distortion.

So you are now saying that my rabbi teaches me the truth? I’m confused. Which is it? Is my rabbi wrong or is he right?

Another needless insult.

And if my rabbi is wrong, how is that not insulting. You think it’s insulting for me to question your priest.

We here have not said stuff that is pretty offensive” to Jews.

Yeah, who could be offended at getting called a killer of God? Who would get upset at the use of rhetoric that has literally been murderous?

Having a difference of opinion and belief is not an offense to me.

I dunno. You seem pretty offended by my opinion about whose sperm impregnated Mary. Frankly that whole thing begs a number of questions. Was it good for Mary too? Did God have a smoke afterwards?

Offended yet? I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.

Talking with Catholics about sex can be weird. Talking with Catholics about sex and religion can be very, very weird.

Lenny put it this way in his routine about why Jews are more comfortable with sexual matters than Catholics (well, actually the title of the bit was “why some Jews become pornographers” but that’s a bit inflammatory). Catholic holy men defecate but don’t have intercourse (Lenny used the more common terms but out of respect to the site managers I won’t use them), so for Catholics, using the common word for sex is worth 100 demerits compared to only 10 for using the common word for feces. But since rabbis both defecate and have intercourse, Jews don’t think that one word is worse than the other.

I have no dog in that fight. That’s an internal Christian schism. From my perspective, I’m pretty sure that Catholics are Christians, but Mormons are another question.

Now that’s what HotAir really needs, a debate between Protestants, Catholics and Mormons about who really isn’t a Christian.

rokemronnie on August 30, 2009 at 4:27 AM

I know I am not alone in asking you to continue your debate elsewhere.

lovingmyUSA on August 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Okay. The Kennedy’s are a bunch of hypocritical leftoid sleazes.

Happy now?

rokemronnie on August 30, 2009 at 4:29 AM

I can’t believe after 6 pages, no one answered this question directly with direct quotation from New Testament. Isn’t this a conservative blog, not a haven for liberal nuts who twist the Word to their purpose?

The answer is, of course no, in the literal sense—we all know Roman Empire wasn’t exactly a charity organization. But the answer is also no in the non-literal sense, as in, Jesus did not believe in or practice social activism, nor did the early church consider compulsion necessary to make people do what is good. On the latter, 2 Corinthians 9:7 says, “So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver”. This runs directly counter to the liberal programme of substituting voluntary charity (whether it be faith-based or not) with government programs. God loves a cheerful giver, not a taxpayer who contributes at gunpoint.

On the previous point, I cite this passage in support of the claim that Jesus did not stand for social change: Matthew 22:21 “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s.” This was an answer to Pharisees’ (trap) question on whether Jews should pay taxes to Romans or not. If he said yes, they figured Jesus would become unpopular, and if he said no, Romans would arrest Jesus. While a lot of people, like Judas Iscariot, expected Jesus to be a force in the upcoming revolution, Jesus consciously and consistently rejected that role, as embodied in this, well, non-answer, preferring the cross to spilling blood in a revolutionary social change.

What Jesus did stand for is spiritual change. That’s why he died on the cross for our sins, rather than leading a revolution against the Roman Empire in order to re-establish the Jewish nation.

novakyu on August 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Kids are special……….everyone knows that………but not the slugs….I mean the Dems…………they not only will unplug grandma but use their own kids!

Cinday Blackburn on August 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM

And people make fun of us Southern Baptists. No one would ever do this in a church I have attended. This is crass. we don’t have prayers for government and issues. I think those that were awake and could hear it would walk out.

di butler on August 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Thank you. God Bless You too, m’lady. MO apprarently did fall asleep, but the video has already been yanked from you-tube.

kingsjester on August 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Why doesn’t you ‘conservative’s other favorite site, Stormfront, have it then. You rednecks are dogs.

simplesimon on August 30, 2009 at 7:00 AM

SIGH. Another embarassing moment for us in Massachusetts courtesy of the Kennedy clan.

Huckabye-Romney on August 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Hey, nobody thanked God for legalized abortion. What gives?

Mojave Mark on August 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM

di butler on August 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM

So much for the LEFTIST separation of church and state.

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM

What a bunch of shameless pigs.

stenwin77 on August 30, 2009 at 8:15 AM

I tuned in to the funeral to see a Catholic priest gushing about Ted’s greatness, and tuned out

A priest eulogizing the great abortion facilitator was pushing it

It may be different elsewhere but around here there was little interest in the passing. The Kennedy aura belonged to older generations. It is the end of an era, and the end of the aura.

Kennedy made a bargain with Old Nick for political survival and now it is ended. Ora pro eo. For the ones using the passing to push poll Healthcare. Ora pro nobis.

entagor on August 30, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Ora pro eo, Ora pro nobis, I never took latin, just learned from it’s use in medicine. What do the phrases mean?

tessa on August 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM

But the thing is, the Healthcare reform really was an issue that was very important to the man, he almost certainly viewed it as unfinished business for himself. Should someone who spearheaded a cause (Whether you agree with it or not) die before said cause comes to fruition I’d fully expect it to be brought up at their funeral. Perhaps it’s in bad taste for the kid to bring it up (I personally didn’t have a problem with it) but not the idea of mentioning policy a politician was working on at their funeral. Moreover, the way it was worded it acceptable in my opinion, who wouldn’t want everyone in the country to be able to not worry about healthcare expenses? Whether or not the legislation would do that (And in a cost-effective manner) is what you guys are worried about, or so I thought.

Typhonsentra on August 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Health care aside, I wonder what the Kennedy children are told about their father, grandfather, great uncle, cousin what have you. When one gets done wondering about that, ask yourself what you would think if it were your uncle, father, grandfather, cousin etc with the terrible personal history of Ted Kennedy. Would I think my father or grandfather could undo his past deeds with those of the present? Probably not, but I might still love them even if I saw them clearly. I know I would not choose to follow in their footsteps.

jeanie on August 30, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Typhonsentra on August 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM
Using the Catholic Church to shill the things you do want while turning your back on the Catholic Church’s most basic teaching, is called using.

tessa on August 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Did we just watch this kid release his first ad to run for a political office?

Maybe, but It’s Joe we should worry about. He is not the most savoury peice of meat on the plate. I’ve heard he’s bossy, a bully and has a very bad temper. Just gossip, but remember the ‘where there’s smoke there’s fire’ adage.

jeanie on August 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM

This whole funeral thing was disgusting. If I were Catholic, the high mass the “church” gave him would have been a slap in my pro-life face.

I would immediately take my Catholic, pro-life face and ass to another “religion” that would support my pro-life views.

And this USING the kids at the funeral is vomit-worthy.

Did you see the daughter of Caroline Kennedy giving the crowds “the finger”. That’s how they REALLY feel about “the people” – that they have exploited for decades.

stenwin77 on August 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

At the next funereal for a liberal icon, I hope they trot out a little kid to say a prayer for abortion rights. That would be just perfect.

Of course, if socialized medicine passes by then, they won’t have to use the kiddie human shield trick for that. Everyone will be joining in the prayer for abortion rights, with 1040 forms as the hymn books.

Doctor Zero on August 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

rokemronnie, put a cork in it pal and get off your soap box, your sounding like a loon on steroids.

gunter on August 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

What does it take to prove, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that these Democrats are 1. Insane, 2. Incompetent (have no real idea how to apply ANY fiscal responsibility), 3. a disaster for the U.S. and “We The People”, and are intent on bringing the United States to it’s knees and make it one of the weakest nations on this planet?
But, before this is accomplished, they are going to steal everything of value for themselves?

Cybergeezer on August 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM

stenwin77 on August 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Missed. Caroline’s children would be adult. Picture’s worth a thousand words. Use it.

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM

maverick muse on August 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM

The picture is at post number 950 on this thread.

tessa on August 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

jeanie on August 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Plus he is a useful idiot for Chavez by selling filthy Chavez oil to the poor for cheap.

tessa on August 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

that grandkid who read the “universal healthcare” bs, is really mini-me John Candy, badly in need of a haircut.

gunter on August 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM

“Click the image to watch.”

Thats alright, I just ate breakfast and Im in a good mood and dont want to ruin it.

5u93rm4n on August 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I bet Obama’s Portuguese Water Dog BO is related to Teddy’s dog of the same breed Splash.

alliebobbitt on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

As President, my dog of choice will this one.

jimmy2shoes on August 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Gee, you’re right. It’s just so terrible to pray that everyone in America is able to get medical coverage. what a travesty. Is it OK to pray for world peace too, or is that partisan politics as well. Let us know..

And for the record, it wasn’t just these kids in the intercession that mentioned health care reform. I watched maybe an hour yesterday and heard a couple adults — even a politician — mention it. Maybe you wingers could have sent the Kennedy’s a note to let them know what was appropriate to say at their family funeral.

Maybe send Palin a note too to tell her to stop using Trig as a human shield on abortion.

Christ all mighty.

Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Christ all mighty.

Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

When speaking about the Kennedys, you really shouldn’t use the name of our saviour. You’d be more correct on using a term of the one that Ted worked for, Satan.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM

simplesimon on August 30, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Mornin’, Skippy. Mom wake you up for your bowl of Cap’n Crunch?

Christ all mighty.
Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Yes, Tom. He is.

kingsjester on August 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM

How tragic for Kennedy that the “cause of his life” wasn’t about sponsoring a Chappaquiddic Bill bringing harsh punishment for leaving the murdered victim fighting for her life, while the murderer goes back to his party, then on to sleep before calling police at 9am the next day.

Had Kennedy chosen to take full responsibility, spend prison time (despite his family’s powerful influence), he could have made a real impact on society.

Ted Kennedy: The Liberal LIAR

TN Mom on August 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM

pedestrian on August 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM

LOL

of course, when did any Kennedy really worry about lying or making false pledges in church?

funky chicken on August 30, 2009 at 10:49 AM

People need to stop using children for political reasons, on both sides.

tx2654 on August 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I clicked it and watched it. That’s the total time I’ve spent watching anything Kennedy related since he died, except for Newsbusters video coverage of it, and all those are usually staring Chris Matthews and any Kennedy.

Marcus on August 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

and NOT any Kennedy I meant

Marcus on August 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

You are so full of it.
You actually think these things would have been said if this was not broadcast all over the world?

bridgetown on August 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Desparation comes in all shapes and sizes! First, the Dems resort to name calling like “Un-American” & “Astro-Turfing”. Next, they open Snitch Central and spam emails. Emergency calls to Unions for ‘boots on the ground’ at townhalls. NBC & ABC refuse to air ads from opposition. Dems demand info on private health insurance companies on wages, bonuses, conference parties, yet don’t seek the same info from Unions.

Had the Democrats/Obama succeeded in cramming this bill down our throats prior to the August recess, I imagine the little boy’s prayer would have been very different:

Oh, Lord,
Save us from long wait lines, death panels, and un-sustainable TRILLIONS in debt.

TN Mom on August 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

alliebobbitt on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

As President, my dog of choice will this one.

jimmy2shoes on August 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Nice, but I prefer a lab.

Jeff from WI on August 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hey was old man Bush at the funeral yesterday? Maybe he stayed away this time after crying like a little girl at Nixon’s funeral.

simplesimon on August 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

It’s an absurd appeal to pity twofold:
1-Trotting the kid out for that message
2-Having that message trotted out at a funeral
Partisan politics is quite secondary. It’s more fallacious reasoning about an issue that not coincidentally is unable to be argued for on merit.

Christ all mighty.

Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Life is an argument out of merit against abortion.

anuts on August 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Tom_Shipley on August 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Sadly I think that’s true.

But the focus of a funeral Mass isn’t the deceased.
That is why nobody should feel good about dodging a funeral just because of their attitude towards the deceased.

The family should have borne that in mind when it wrote prayers for the congregation.

Chris_Balsz on August 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I’m a proud Pharisee. So is every practicing Jew today. So, for the record, was Jesus.

rokemronnie on August 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Interesting thought. All Pharisees are bastard sons of Roman soldiers. I’ll have to think about that a bit.

unclesmrgol on August 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Reminds me of when Jimmy Carter was talking with Amy about Nuclear Proliferation

The_Lid on August 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Are the libs grooming another one?

ultracon on August 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I miss President Bush. It was wonderful to see him and Laura yesterday. I have a real concern about the report that Bush 41 wasn’t able to make the trip. I pray for his good health.

As to the topic, I don’t think the Dems orchestrated the grandson’s presentation to promote their health care reform agenda, that was all Kennedy’s doing. Very calculated. Just like this letter to the Pope was all very calculated and reads like a Kennedy campaign ad. I think the ‘do it for Teddy’ strategy was all cooked up in that compound in Hyannis Port this summer.

Texas Gal on August 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

The moment your Caesar is a democracy, what God intended for you to do gets muddied.

The liberals view it as a simple question: if you vote against universal healthcare in a democracy, are you violating Jesus’ commands to aid the poor?

The convervatives view it in slightly more complex fashion: if you vote against universal healthcare which uses other peoples’ money that they do not want to give, in a democracy, are you violating the Commandment against stealing from another?

In other words, in liberal land, a statist act translates into an individual act. In conservative land, it does not, because you are forced to do it.

unclesmrgol on August 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

novakyu on August 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM

It was a rather sarcastic, rhetorical question.

Black Yoshi on August 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Ted Kennedy-The end of an error.

Poljax on August 30, 2009 at 1:34 PM

It’s so terrible to publicly pray, using a child for extra aww points, that your specific, increasingly unpopular political initiative be foisted on the populace because you just KNOW it’s the right way to make everyone healthy.

Political prayer is a rather despicable form of advertisement and moral bludgeoning.

I haven’t even mentioned the part about the funeral yet.

Black Yoshi on August 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM

What is even worse is that the liberals will be all over moaning about how terrible the conservatives are “picking on a little child.”

katiejane on August 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I heard that Obama called Teddy the “Soul of the Democrat Party”. I’ve gotta agree with him on that. If ever a political party had the soul of a drunken sailor, it’s today’s democrats.

starboardhelm on August 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM

With the eulogy from Mr. Free Market

Posterity will ne’er survey
A nobler grave than this:
Here lie the bones of Ted Kennedy
Stop traveler, and piss

trainer on August 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Just as Kennedy was self-serving as always… even on his death bed trying to get a law changed that he had changed originally…the Kennedys seem to think they are above even the Church. But they revealed their sleaziness like the desperate liberals having been doing lately…and I think everyone free of liberal blinders could see they used the kids.

DCJeff on August 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

The Kennedy Compound—I am sick and tired of hearing about the Kennedy compound (if than doesn’t sound like a bunch of elite, arrogant snobs, I don’t know what does)

mobydutch on August 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

BTW Allahpundit…great writing in pointing out the liberal hypocrisy over religion & politics!

DCJeff on August 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Yeah, and now we’re gonna have the Kennedy Compound Pharmacy shoved down our throats.

starboardhelm on August 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Elisa – as a child of an interfaith marriage – well said
Rokem – you don’t know very much about the Holocaust. There was no “out” if one converted to Christianity. In fact, lots of Christians with one Jewish Grandparent were sent to them and there murdered. It’s a really sensitive topic – people should not invoke it just to make a point.

Simona on August 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM

All the glorious TV tributes can be summed up in one word,
hollow.

tessa on August 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Rokem – nevermind – I’m reading your follow up post now.

Simona on August 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Olympia snowe

texaninfidel on August 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Rokem – sorry no offense I obviously stepped in the beginning of a much bigger debate. You obviously do know a lot about the Holocaust.

Simona on August 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Having skimmed the debate I want to clarify that I stand entirely on the side of rokemronnie.
Christianity as a whole should confront its equation of the particular persons who plotted against Jesus (who happened to like Jesus be Jewish) with all Jews. That has been at the root of untold Sin on the part of Christians. whoever said something about Jews can thank Christians that there’s any of us left – that has to be one of the ugliest, most sinfully prideful statements I have ever heard. Jesus was/is a Jew. He said he came to build on the law not to destroy it.

Simona on August 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I am so going to go here:

I am SO GLAD this dog is now in the ground and off my tv. This spineless jellyfish with no character did not deserve so much attention upon his death. Mary Jo did not get this much consideration.

karenhasfreedom on August 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Even the part where he said that Jesus couldn’t be the Messiah because he doesn’t believe in Him?

Then the part where he equated Jesus not having a grave to those people who were killed in the Holocaust with no grave. While tragic, I don’t recall any documentation where anyone saw them walk on water, heal the sick, turn water into wine, raise the dead, or raise themselves from the dead. I don’t quite see the parallel, but I’ve been done with this ‘debate’ for a while now.

ThackerAgency on August 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

A note to Mr Kennedy: NO government health care!!

hopefloats on August 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Sadly Kennedy’s letter to the Pope does not reference Jesus Christ, even once. I remember that was one of John Paul II’s condemnations of “liberation theology”.

Chris_Balsz on August 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

simplesimon on August 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I think he was skydiving again in celebration that the sex offender died. Wonder what your dad was doing. Oh, oops, that is right, you wouldn’t know. Sad. Get mom to make her special chicken back and boxed mac’n cheese to help you get over it.

ClassicCon on August 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

BTW: has anyone asked whether the new liberal slogans will include “What Would Teddy Do?” (WWTD?), “Do What Teddy Would Do,” and “Do It for the Tedster”?

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

New liberal slogans:
I’d rather drive a Prius than drown in an Oldsmobile.

ted c on August 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

simplesimon on August 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Hey simpleshite–sorry that the only father figure in your life was the pimp you had for your yo’ mama. Obama suffers from the same problem–no father figure–same thing for the Kennedys’. They all wish they could have the love and marital fidality of the Bushes. “Old man Bush” is widely respected as a man of integrity and honor–something no one can say about the Kennedy’s or the Obama’s.

The love and respect for women that Bush Sr. taught his son is evident in the way he and Laura act toward each other in public–something sadly missing in the Kennedy history…

lovingmyUSA on August 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM

New liberal slogans:
I’d rather drive a Prius than drown in an Oldsmobile.

ted c on August 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Another winner for the bumper sticker of the week!

lovingmyUSA on August 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Let me get my Eldest son and my digital camcorder… I’ll be right back.

One Angry Christian on August 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Ted is about 1 x 10^8 times scummier than Edwards.

And one that scale 1 is pretty smiley.

Gollum is a 0.5

Geochelone on August 30, 2009 at 8:33 PM

ChickaBOOMer — Separation of Church and State: Lyin’ Kings Disoriented Are

StewartIII on August 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Yesterday at church, a man got up during the time from prayer requests and essentially went on a five minute rant that we NEEDED to be praying for universal healthcare because that is what Christ would have wanted us to do. He didn’t call on God to smite the enemies of the single-payer system but he came pretty damned close. It was utterly offensive and I was having decidedly un-Christian thoughts as the whole moral imperitive talking points were being thrown out there for prayer.

highhopes on August 31, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Chris_Balsz on August 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

The extract I saw was nothing more than a self-serving claim of “trying to be a good Catholic” and how important his faith was to him. It was the letter of a dying sinner attempting to grease the skids with God.

Fact of the matter is, and not passing judgement about, Teddy Kennedy but if he was a good Catholic he hid it well. He was in favor of abortion. He was unfaithful to his wife. His entire agenda was Democrat-based and not God-based (it is utterly impossible to be a good Democrat politiican and a Christian). The good news is that Teddy is meeting his maker and all the charm and polticial clout of this world will not wash with God. The justice denied here will be administered in full measure.

highhopes on August 31, 2009 at 7:46 AM