It’s come to this: Dems task Teddy’s grandson with leading funeral prayer for ObamaCare

posted at 2:09 pm on August 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

The boss has been writing about the left’s use of kids as sympathetic “human shields” for their policies for years and years, but even so, I’m amazed. I thought the moral authority of the religious setting would create enough cover for Obama or whoever to toss a few bones to health care in their eulogies; I guess, like Karl says, they were skittish after the Wellstone memorial fiasco and figured they couldn’t take any chances. Enter this poor little boy, charged with politicizing a prayer because the gutless pols around him didn’t have the balls to do it themselves.

Incidentally, after linking this on Twitter, I’ve been informed by liberal amateur theologians that it’s perfectly kosher to pray for universal health care — on TV, in the middle of a national debate, at a funeral service ostensibly devoted to grieving over someone, by exploiting an innocent child — because, um, Jesus would have supported it. I’m happy to discover that the left’s decades of righteous outrage at Christian conservatives for mixing religion with politics was, as so much else is, simple partisan posturing, but I’m unfamiliar with the sermon where Jesus called for Caesar to create a public fund to heal the sick. Can any Bible aficionados help? Exit question: Anyone have any young’uns at home they’d be willing to volunteer to lead prayers at the next big GOP funeral? We might as well make use of the camera time while we have it. “Dear god, please grant us the strength to privatize social security and construct a robust missile defense shield. We pray to the Lord.” Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

It’s come to what?

This is probably slightly noble consider the rest the Klan has done…

Upstater85 on August 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM

WHERE THE HELL IS JOAN??? LOL

D2Boston on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I’m not clicking it

vcferlita on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Mary Jo Kopechne could not be reached for comment.

csdeven on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

PATHETIC!

fbcmusicman on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

By trying to avoid a “Wellstone” moment, the libs have again stepped in it. Good grief, you just can’t parody these people.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Oh my God…a Christianist!

Terrye on August 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Jesus: Sorry, but you are way too old for me to heal. I need to reserve my healing miracles for the young and vital for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Orange Doorhinge on August 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Oh, you think this is something they did because the Mass is Ted Kennedy’s funeral, or televised? I’m routinely hit with liturgical prayers for immigration reform that respects human dignity, or health care reform that respects human dignity, or foriegn policy in the Middle East that respects human dignity, and asked to join in.

Chris_Balsz on August 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

The left has no conscience. And a few other things too.

FontanaConservative on August 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I refuse to watch any of the coverage of this funeral. None, nada, zilch..I have not watched more than one hour of news since Kennedy died, just to avoid this kind of vomit inducing crap.

What next? Will they go pimp one of the girls on a street corner?

Terrye on August 29, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Hard to seek the vote of the godless when Youtube crawls with you leading a prayer. Human Shields indeed; A propensity of those named “Hussein“.

BobMbx on August 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM

What planet do these people live on? Do they actually think people don’t see through this?

The democrats/communists are floundering. All they can do is stick to the Alinsky script.

darwin on August 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Chris:

What church do you belong to?

Terrye on August 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

But who did Teddy leave the keys to the Oldsmobile to?

…and the Key has been passed…. to Obama.

ted c on August 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

vcferlita on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I won’t either. Good Lord, do they have any principles? Shameful display.

Sam_I_Am on August 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

What planet do these people live on?

darwin on August 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Uranus. They are from a race known as the “Boilians”

BobMbx on August 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Hypocrisy with a capital H

CWforFreedom on August 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I think this makes sense. Liberal policies are all childish and naive (in the best light) so it is more honest for them to have a child arguing their case.

progressoverpeace on August 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Where did JWF’s comment go? I had a comment for him; a positive one by the way.

spacewife on August 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM

He’s probably already an alcoholic and drug abuser, and may have already sexually assaulted a maid. But the real rite of passage in the Kennedy clan is murder . So, it’s fitting that his family is whoring him out to pass Chappaquidicare.

alliebobbitt on August 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Hypocrisy, who knew?

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM

The person who gave the greatest eulogy, in my opinion, was, ironically, Ted Kennedy, Jr. What the kid said grated on my nerves, but it was no big deal. They’re not going to get the “right” to the healthcare in this country. Either way, the Dems will get their butts whooped in 2010.

NathanG on August 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

These people are beyond the pale. Nothing they do surprises me anymore. They have no boundaries, there is no line in the sand they won’t cross. There’s no event they won’t politicize, no level they aren’t capable of stooping to, no toes they won’t step on, no back they won’t stab.

scalleywag on August 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

And yet…it’s completely cool to rag on Sarah Palin’s kids…

DAMN THE HYPOCRISY, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Orange Doorhinge on August 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

But who did Teddy leave the keys to the Oldsmobile to?

…and the Key has been passed…. to Obama.

ted c on August 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I bet Obama’s Portuguese Water Dog BO is related to Teddy’s dog of the same breed Splash.

alliebobbitt on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

For ten more votes, the Liberals/Kennedys would have drawn and quartered the boy on the altar.

Lincoln Cadillac on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Where did JWF’s comment go? I had a comment for him; a positive one by the way.

spacewife on August 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Good question. What happened?

JammieWearingFool on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

How soon until I can look forward to a day that doesn’t have a Dead Ted related thread?

Disturb the Universe on August 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

This is expected, of course, but I didn’t expect it to be comical at the same time. I mean, you have a 10 y.o. pitching tenets from the Dems political platform during the intercessions? As a sales pitch, it’s ineffective and could turn people off – which is more likely than the possibility of converting anyone. Mental giants I tell you, these people are… .

volnation on August 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

So now we can’t say we have beautiful kids?

spacewife on August 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

The sheer hypocrisy of these people knows no bounds -and to use a child—- Thanks for the re-cap,– I just couldn’t click it

texasaggie on August 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

And just yesterday, Ed thought the Dems wouldn’t turn this into a “Wellstone moment” or that a “Wellstone effect” wouldn’t occur…

catmman on August 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

As if that kid will ever have to wait 8 months for an MRI.

Ronnie on August 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Chris:

What church do you belong to?

Terrye on August 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I’m Catholic and have had to sit thru numerous requests after the homily for us to pray, “We are called as Christians to respect the dignity of all peoples, especially those struggling b/c they are undocumented, or to pray for citizens and non-citizens, etc. etc.”

RIDICULOUS!

JAM on August 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

They are what they are.

JellyToast on August 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Chris:

What church do you belong to?

Terrye on August 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I go to Christ the Redeemer in Colton, CA. But its pretty much the same all over this end of Riverside County.

Chris_Balsz on August 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Paul Wellstone did not return calls prior to publication.

phreshone on August 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Golly, I wonder if those kids wrote their prayers themselves?

PattyJ on August 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Good question. What happened?

JammieWearingFool on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Don’t want any knocks on the kids here, even jokingly. It’s not their fault.

Allahpundit on August 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Everyone and his brother was predicting this type of thing would take place. The much smarter move would have been to avoid any suggestion of same; letting Zero handle that chore tomorrow, thus leaving all of us WRONG. But, No, they had to go and prove us right…and with a child, no less. Just unbelievable scum.

GoldenEagle4444 on August 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I can’y take it anymore…..just please get him in the ground and kill the bill

PatriotRider on August 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

The really sad part is that these wealthy liberal elitists actually believe that we (the unwashed masses) will actually fall for this phony crap.

rplat on August 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Uranus.

BobMbx on August 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

When you give birth to a liberal make sure they stay flushed.

jdkchem on August 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

President Obama hailed Sen. Edward M. Kennedy as “a champion for those who had none were properly indoctrinated by the liberal edcuation system or were blessed by being born lazy; the soul of the Democratic Party; and the lion of the U.S. Senate,” at Kennedy’s funeral Saturday.

Fixed.

BobMbx on August 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Either way, the Dems will get their butts whooped in 2010.

NathanG on August 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Possibly true. Once people comprehend.. not what may be compromised on, but what they tried to pull with all the “No time to read the bills (porkulous, stimulus, healthcare etc)..Just pass it now..no time to lose!!”

Any trust in what these slimeballs stand for will be rightfully lost.

Itchee Dryback on August 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Pathetic, but expected. This circus is now complete.

BTW, where are our trolls to defend using children as human shields? Now, I know why the dems seem to sympathize with terrorists.

HornetSting on August 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM

They indoctrinate them young in that Kennedy clan. I wonder if they have EVER had a family sit down where someone espoused anything conservative?

JAM on August 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM

WHERE THE HELL IS JOAN??? LOL

D2Boston on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Here she is!

misslizzi on August 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Is Ted in the ground yet? Let’s be done with it. Not watching TV. Be done with the Kennedy’s and their blight on the country.

Cody1991 on August 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I’m VERY familiar with scripture and I confess, your observation is spot-on. I guess the REVEREND Wright covered that stealing from some to buy votes from others while “some members” of his flock slept.

Hey AP, Are you SURE you’re an Atheist, or you just play one on HotAir?

PS Where’s the Pope’s condolences to the family of the…
Excuse me, I’m going to go throw up.

oldleprechaun on August 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Don’t want any knocks on the kids here, even jokingly. It’s not their fault.

Allahpundit on August 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I missed it..what did it say? : )

Itchee Dryback on August 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

It would have cost me “big bucks” to get my son to do that when he was 10 yrs. old!

spacewife on August 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Unbelievable. And yet, totally believable.

Puddleglum on August 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

The last 3 days have been a new low in the media.To celebrate a man who at the very least should have spent time in prison for manslaughter and sexual abuse of women .How low our country has gone.They just said on Fox news that Robert Byrd will be in a wheel chair waving a flag when Teddy hearse comes by.Just think a dead sexual abuser of women,pervert,alcohol boozer body is driven by our nations capital while a former Grand Kelegal of the KKK waves a flag. God save us.

thmcbb on August 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

WHERE THE HELL IS JOAN??? LOL

D2Boston on August 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Did you see Victoria’s face when Teddy Jr. mentioned about ‘French women’? I thought that was crass, I felt bad for her.
Still reeling and steaming over the Bush diss….Allah, wanna touch that one…watch the film when they ‘offer peace to each other’. I know it is a Catholic tradition, but I hate going to Catholic weddings, one, because they last forever and five days, but also because I have to touch complete strangers…eww. Sorry, I digress. Allah?

HornetSting on August 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Catholic mass has always, since the second vatican counsel, had lay people give the intercessions and they usually include the words Social Justice. Praying for health care reform will probably be part of the intercession for the next decade or until a bill is passed.

fourdeucer on August 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Consider this my friends…First, TOTUS committed suicide and set off a spiral off free falling polls and bad news for Obama. He hasn’t had a good week since. Second, Michael Jackson died an untimely and horrific death at the hands of a black physician. Third, closing time has finally caught up with Teddy Kennedy.

Hence, you have a situation where TOTUS can’t tell Obama what to say about Obamacare, Michael Jackson can’t sing about it, and Teddy Kennedy can’t vote for it. Put simply, this would be 3 strikes and you’re out.

ted c on August 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Buh-bye, Comrade Dead Ted…..it’s been a HOOT!

joe btfsplk on August 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Don’t want any knocks on the kids here, even jokingly. It’s not their fault.

Allahpundit on August 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

OK. I’ll still volunteer my boy.

JammieWearingFool on August 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM

If it weren’t a funeral, the predictable absurdity of it would be laughable.

jeanie on August 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM

They just couldn’t help themselves, could they? I guess they think their use of a 10 grader makes this prayer innocent and pure. The youngster just did as he was told. The Democratic Hierarchy should all be ashamed. But they’re not and they never will be.

kingsjester on August 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

ask not what Obamacare can do for you, but what you can do for obamacare.

Why did Teddy die before he could vote for Obamacare? Oh yea, his death should be an indication of WHY we need obamacare…. tortured logic//sarc

ted c on August 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Amazing, they topped Huckabee’s use of religion.

aikidoka on August 29, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Excuse me, 10 year old, not 10th grader.
Must…Preview.

kingsjester on August 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Unbelievable. And yet, totally believable.

Puddleglum on August 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Puddleglum!! One of my favorite fictional characters ever! He would never let a little boy do a mans work…

CarolynM on August 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM

All that rabid praying and thundering of sacrosanct progressive pieties from “holy bully” pulpits is why a lot of folks avoid Catholic and mainstream Protestant sanctums across the land.

Heck, many so-called Evangelical preachers also sound mainstream-Lite these days.

Best to pray at home and keep your blood pressure down….. it will at least keep your thoughts serenely Christian-like towards your clueless fellow man!

Mojamaiko on August 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Just as I thought…they’d get a “healthcare” mention in…but it’s far from the “Wellstone moment” so many were so sure would happen.

JetBoy on August 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

My flag is not at half mast today.

whitetop on August 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

“Shut up, ” Obama prayed.

PackerBronco on August 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Well, I’d say doing this would just make them look more desperate and pathetic, which it does, but somehow the MSM will spin it to somehow look like it was an honorable thing to do.

scalleywag on August 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Only the Pharisee, who would travel the earth and compass seas to create a believer who was twice the child of hell, and then killed God because he would not bow to them and he would cause them the lose political power, have anything on liberal politicians. They have the market on hypocrisy and moral outrage! Can you image what who have happened if a Christian, Conservative politician (if there are any anymore) would have done this at a funeral. We would never have heard the end of it. Separation of Church and State!!!!!!!!!!!

flytier on August 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

HornetSting on August 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Wow, all we do out here is shake hands…what the heck’s in the incense out there?

Chris_Balsz on August 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

if democrats thought Global Cooling would pass health care they would force Gore to hand in his awards.

rob verdi on August 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM

“Teddy Kennedy’s America is a land in which women would be forced into back-water car washes, blacks would kept down on the liberal plantation, rogue Attorney Generals could burn down citizens’ homesteads in daylight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about the Constitution and Western Civilization, talk show hosts could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the rulings of the Federal courts would be slammed on the fingers of hundreds of millions of citizens by ‘Progressives’ for whom the judiciary is — and is often the only – way to repeal the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy… President Soetoro is still our president. But he should not be able to reach out from the muck of the Trinity United Church, reach into the muck of the Weather Underground and impose his reactionary vision of the Constitution on the Supreme Court and the next generation of Americans. No justice would be better than this injustice”

phreshone on August 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Liberals search for the most emotional reason to pass any legislation using abusing children for their own selfish benefit doesn’t even cause a ripple on their very liquid morality meter.

Leave the crying and whining out of my legislation thank you.

Speakup on August 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Whadda bummer. No skiing this afternoon. Lightning strikes on the intercoastal. Oh well, I guess I’ll torture trolls. Where is pimplesimon?

Key West Reader on August 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM

This stuff happens in Catholic and Episcopal churches all the time (and probably others, I am only familiar with those two.) My liberal rector occasionally tosses out the Prayers of the People and reads her won, which invariably include treacle about social justice.

I guess I just have a very different take on this service than anyone else here. I thought it was fine and not nearly as bad as I expected. I actually learned a great deal about Ted Kennedy the man, and especially the father, that I never knew. It struck me how little we still know about his brothers as men.

Maybe that is just because I am married into a Massachusetts Catholic Democrat family. I’ve had to hold my tongue a great deal this week. Sometimes that is a good exercise.

rockmom on August 29, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I unfortunately heard this on satellite radio in the car and had to turn it off immediately. Shameless.

No doubt this was Rahm and Ax’s work.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM

One emotional moment isn’t going to make up for a lifetime of high taxes. How misguided and offensively opportunistic.

sherry on August 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Dammit. Sorry, AP, didn’t see your admonition above before posting. Won’t do it again.

Christien on August 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Dear God, please get these lazy ass, non contributing, non working, non innovating free riders to stop giving away votes for for more government slavery… Lord I am tired of carrying their burden

conservador on August 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM

While not the equivalent of the Wellstone Memorial, do they not see the inappropriateness of this. *She asks rhetorically* I have to think it will backfire.

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Dems always employ the same tactics. Their mantra is, “It’s for the children.”

They exploit them, and they’re not opposed to aborting them. They also have no problem with limiting life for those who have contributed with a full life as illustrated in their health care reform bill and often support assisted suicide.

While Republicans may seem to be the party of, “NO!” It seems to be that the Dems are the party of, “Death!”

And let’s say the Dems get their way. As they clear out the population, who will fill the void? Who are they clearing the way for? A master race? Do these folks ever think about what they are espousing?

Cody1991 on August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Wow, the “Party of NO” sure is angry this week. It doesn’t make you look good. Look at that crabby old geezer John McCain – being angry didn’t do him any favors.

Keep up the good work!

simplesimon on August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

thmcbb on August 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Take comfort. Their era is ending. Why do you think the MSM are in such paroxysm? They know it.

rockmom on August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Liberals stand on top of dead bodies to make their political voices heard. They did it with the fallen in Iraq, they did it with Paul Wellstone, and they did it with The Swimmer.

Nothing to see here…

JohnGalt23 on August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I think so too. These people are always ready to take advantage of a crisis, with or without thinking. It’s become a knee-jerk reaction.

sherry on August 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Guys let’s not forget where thix I’d taking place……the funeral service of the most disgusting, bloviating vermin, in the senate, Ted Kennedy. He’s dead, get it? How heat is that, period. Don’t lose the forest my friends. Another lib out of our way. Buh bye!

texaninfidel on August 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Sorry, Allah.
Didn’t see your admonishment.

Lanceman on August 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

JetBoy on August 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

That would be hard to work into Mass, don’t you think. We’ll just have to give them an A for effort for never letting a political opportunity be missed but a failing grade for thinking the public wouldn’t notice.

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

/Too soon?

Christien on August 29, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Never too soon, Ted loved those jokes.

the_nile on August 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

NathanG on August 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM

The non-politician gave by far the best speech of the day. It was the only one that moved me at all. I’m sure this will go right over the heads of the political folks and the MSM.

rockmom on August 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Teddy’s dead. Can we never hear about the Kennedys again please?

Aquateen Hungerforce on August 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Keep up the good work!

simplesimon on August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The Party of Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi gives advice on how to “look good”??!!

Chris_Balsz on August 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Lanceman on August 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I have a feeling your days are numbered here with posts like that. If you want to take shots at specific kids, go to HuffPo.

CarolynM on August 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Eunuchs will always be eunuchs.

Schadenfreude on August 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

simplesimon on August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

My playmate! Hi, Skippy! Man, that took a lot of courage to have a 10 year old boy promote your Political Agenda at his Granddaddy’s funeral, didn’t it? We’re all overcome with goosebumps.

kingsjester on August 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

HornetSting on August 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Chris_Balsz on August 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Shake hands and hug…don’t like to touch strangers, but you missed my point about the ‘elite left’ not wanting to touch someone who truly loved his country, George W. Bush.

HornetSting on August 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

It’s not exploitation. They had to have the kid pray. If any Kennedy above the age of 13 prays sincerely in a church it violates the contract Grandpa Joe made with nice that nice man Mr. Scratch.

29Victor on August 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM