Video: Bachmann zaps heckler over maternity care

posted at 1:36 pm on August 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Courtesy of The College Politico, who captures Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN)’s quick-witted reply to a heckler at her contentious town-hall forum on health care. Bachmann held up a stack of headlines about the health-care crisis in the UK, especially a report about how 4,000 women had to give birth in corridors due to a resource shortage in the NHS. When the heckler tries to disrupt her, Bachmann offers her version of Complete Moral Authority:

“I’ve given birth here probably more times than you, sir.”

I’d say. She has given birth to five children, and a home to 23 foster children. It’s hard to argue against her on maternity-care expertise.

It’s even more difficult to dismiss the report Bachmann wanted to highlight:

The lives of mothers and babies are being put at risk as births in locations ranging from lifts to toilets – even a caravan – went up 15 per cent last year to almost 4,000.

Health chiefs admit a lack of maternity beds is partly to blame for the crisis, with hundreds of women in labour being turned away from hospitals because they are full.

Latest figures show that over the past two years there were at least:

* 63 births in ambulances and 608 in transit to hospitals;
* 117 births in A&E departments, four in minor injury units and two in medical assessment areas;
* 115 births on other hospital wards and 36 in other unspecified areas including corridors;
* 399 in parts of maternity units other than labour beds, including postnatal and antenatal wards and reception areas.

Additionally, overstretched maternity units shut their doors to any more women in labour on 553 occasions last year.

On top of that, an NHS patient-advocacy group’s study shows that more than a million NHS patients received “appalling care” from the government-run health-care system:

The charity has disclosed a horrifying catalogue of elderly people left in pain, in soiled bed clothes, denied adequate food and drink, and suffering from repeatedly cancelled operations, missed diagnoses and dismissive staff.

The Patients Association said the dossier proves that while the scale of the scandal at Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust – where up to 1,200 people died through failings in urgent care – was a one off, there are repeated examples they have uncovered of the same appalling standards throughout the NHS.

While the criticisms cover all aspects of hospital care, the treatment and attitude of nurses stands out as a repeated theme across almost all of the cases.

Update: Fixed the quote.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Naa I like my female one better. She may be rough, but at least she has answers.

upinak on August 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Hornets seem to have better persuasion on men….don’t know why, maybe it’s the headdress….but to each, their own. You wrestle bears, no one will argue if you want better pain meds for Eve’s curse.

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

AnninCA on August 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM

If you knew anything, other being a mind numbed O-bot, then you would know that foster children are not cared for consecutively concurrently… *sheesh*

kirkill on August 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Dang, or consecutive either…you need a break. But Michelle probably doesn’t she’s awesome.

kirkill on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

MN needs more like her! God Bless M.B.

Irenaeus on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I don’t use anything for the “curse”.

upinak on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

***
What a wonderful person to take care of 28 foster kids!
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on August 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM
How bout you STFU, idiot. Take a deep breath, and realize that just because someone gave birth in an american hospital does not make their argument more or less valid than someone who has not. Now, does Michelle here know more about maternity care in the US than say, a career think-tanker who studies medical policies and their effects on treatment? No.

So, genius, since the heckler was asking “What about here? What about here?” how ’bout you enlighten us?

Doorgunner on August 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
I don’t use anything for the “curse”.

upinak on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Hmm. I’m having my innards taken out BECAUSE of it. BTW, I’ve never given birth, but I’ve been around enough women who have to know it’s a beautiful train wreck.

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

As long as the beautiful trainwreck is beautiful for that person… it is all that matters. :)

upinak on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Good question. LGF has become indistingushable from Andrew Sullivan’s blog.

What gives, Allah & Ed?

Norwegian on August 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM

This is a good question. Why link to a known hatesite?

tetriskid on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

All I can say is thank God for women or I wouldn’t be here.

fourdeucer on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Doorgunner on August 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

An do Ms. Bachmann’s 5 trips to the delivery room mean she can say with certainty that it DOESN’T happen here? Absolutely not. Which is why hanging your whole argument on that is poor rhetoric, and wouldn’t make it past the first round in a high school debate class. I don’t care for Obama’s plan, im not trying to make a value judgement on that in these comments…her mentioning that just doesnt make her argument any more compelling.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

So why are there any male OB/GYN’s? If only females who’ve given birth can give reasoned answers on issues of that sort of treatment, why do we let men study it?

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM

An arguement liberals conveniently forget when arguing about abortion.

Scrappy on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

MN needs more like her! God Bless M.B.

Irenaeus on August 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, can’t quite figure that one out…On the one hand we got Ellison, Kloberr…umm..Cloberskag..whateverhernameis, and FrankenSpaz, and some one like Bachmann on the other.

NEEDS MORE BACHMANNS!!

BigWyo on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

My wife and I saved up for a year to have our second child because we don’t have maternity. By paying cash for it, all expenses were cut in half for both the OB costs and the hospital costs. The grand total for our second son, born in Houston, was a little over $6,000. For only 6 grand all care from the first OB visit a few weeks after my wife knew she was pregnant to three or four weeks after he was born was covered. Considering the govt gave out 4500 for clunker trade-ins, I’d say 6000 bucks to bring a human being into the world is pretty freaking unbelievable. I don’t want to trade that so my wife can give birth in a bathroom, even if that wonderful care were “free”.

Weight of Glory on August 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM

This is one example of why conservatives rock. Liberals look to the government for help; conservatives are responsible for their own affairs and those of their children.

Callie C. on August 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Don’t you realize, you can only point to the “good” aspects of nationalized healthcare in other countries.

the O! administration is so smart, they will avoid all of the negatives those other countries have encountered.

Monkeytoe on August 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Still, I cringe when I hear conservatives base their case on Canada, the UK or Europe as worst case scenarios. Most “liberals” and probably many independents idealize Europe.

Obamacare is much worse that healthcare in the UK or Europe! This administration is not to be trusted with anything. Europe has been moving away from socialized medicine.

modifiedcontent on August 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

An arguement liberals conveniently forget when arguing about abortion.

Scrappy on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

You’re absolutely right. They want to make poor arguments thats their problem. Doesn’t make Ms. Bachmann’s assertion any more compelling.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Quit embarrasing yourself,troll boy.

katy the mean old lady on August 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM

So again, I ask; Why does Hot Air link to LittleGreenFootballs, a looney bin of hate and bigotry?

DrW on August 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I sure don’t have the answer, especially when he bashes Michelle, Ed and AP on a regular basis.

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Does it happen here?? Do you suppose that Pelosi and the rest of the feel gooders wouldn’t be CROWING about it by now???

Well I guess they did have one argument…Tonsils and Limbs for cash…

BigWyo on August 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Some more coverage and links on the Michele Bachmann townhall;

Dasher on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Or yours.
You act like that one claim was the entirety of her argument. It was not. It was simply an anecdote to disarm a routy heckler and it worked.

Scrappy on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Doorgunner on August 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

In Parkland Hospital in Dallas, I have personally witnessed women laboring in hallways. I was “lucky” to have complicated prenancies, so I gave birth in ORs. I was booted out of the hospital on a Sunday night at 9 PM because they needed my bed. I had to get someone to come pick me and my daughter up.

That being said, I had the only white baby in the hospital nursery. The majority of children born in that hell hole are illegal.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Let me guess. The heckler watches BSNBC reads LGF and as a result has an irrational hatred for Bachmann.

Doughboy on August 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM

1921 C DRUM on August 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM

NEEDS MORE BACHMANNS!!

BigWyo on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Agreed.

jgapinoy on August 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM

The Minnesota Left absolutely detest Michelle Bachmann. They have been targeting her for the past 2 election cycles and have not come close either time.
The StarTribune and the local weekly leftie rags have been doing their best to Palinize her. Fortunately they have not been successful to date.
The DFL is planning to run a good-looking, airheaded state senator against her in 2010. The demonization of Bachmann is the DFL’s top priority.
If you folks out there want to help prevent Minnesota from suffering another Franken-stien disaster, start sending lawyers, guns and money to Bachmann ASAP.

Bruno Strozek on August 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM

All I can say is thank God for women or I wouldn’t be here.

fourdeucer on August 28, 2009

Human asexual reproduction may be possible someday but it damned sure won’t be any fun.

SKYFOX on August 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I’ve noticed LGF no longer links to HotAir, so why does HotAir link to LGF?

Disturb the Universe on August 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Doesn’t make Ms. Bachmann’s assertion any more compelling.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Completely true. But it IS a great way to make a heckler pause while the room has a good laugh. That allows her to make her REAL point which is about women giving birth in elevators and bathrooms, etc.

DrAllecon on August 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM

DrW on August 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

An insufferable ass is an insufferable ass, of course, of course,
And no one can talk sense to an insufferable ass of course
And especially, of course, if the insufferable ass is the looney Charles Johnson.

Go right to the source and ask the insufferable ass.
He’ll give you the answer that loons will endorse.
He’s always on a some increasingly bizarre course.
Talk to Charles Johnson.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day
But Charles Johnson will seldom speak unless he has something extremely looney to say.

An insufferable ass is an insufferable ass, of course, of course,
And this one’ll talk crazy ’til his voice is hoarse.
You never heard of a talking insufferable ass?

Well listen to this.

He is Charles Johnson!

Cheshire Cat on August 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM

What a contrast. Bachmann walks the walk with foster kids, Palin walks the walk with special needs kids, but all week we’ve been treated to a memorialization of a man best known for letting a woman suffocate in his car.

Yeah, libs care for the little people.

NebCon on August 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

+1000

Shiny_Tiara on August 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Or yours.

Scrappy on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

D’oh, beat me to it.

DrAllecon on August 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Well I guess they did have one argument…Tonsils and Limbs for cash…

BigWyo on August 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

DrAllecon on August 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Fair enough. See, we CAN all get along. :-)

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Michele Bachmann is my congresswomen. I missed the townhall meeting yesterday. My mother needed some medical care which was a higher priority. But I did hear Michele speak last night at another event. She is pretty awesome.

After the official townhall meeting, which was a standing room only affair, she went to the MN State Fair and held a impromptu townhall meeting right there. Grabbed microphone at the GOP booth and had the townhall with passerby’s.

Dasher on August 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I’ve noticed LGF no longer links to HotAir, so why does HotAir link to LGF?

Disturb the Universe on August 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Again, we need answers.

They are talking about this thread and us over there right now…..

: #310 Killgore Trout

Ed morrisey and Hot Air readers are praising Michele Bachmann today. The Paulification of the Republican party is pretty much complete.

Captain Ed ran that ship aground a long time ago, I’m afraid. Still, your cheerful analysis is appreciated as always.

I’m not posting the link.

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Well listen to this.

He is Charles Johnson!

Cheshire Cat on August 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM

+100

DrW on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hot Air is still on LGF’s list of sources.

baldilocks on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM
ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

if you would post the whole comment it’s pretty clear that it’s the exeption and not the rule due to illegal…

SHARPTOOTH on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

That was AWESOME.

Mommypundit on August 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM

SHARPTOOTH on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

We’ve yet to determine if those babies were just brown, born to parents who don’t speak english, or were in fact illegal. It seems tough to make that sort of assumption, but for the sake of argument i’ll entertain the idea that it was overcrowded because it was in fact stocked with illegals.

Doesn’t change the fact that ‘it happens here’.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Something about conservative women just drives me crazy.

They are strong and confidant, with big families, big hearts, loving marriages and manage to stay feminine!

jhffmn on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I’m just waiting for crr6 to show up and tell us how the NHS is so much better than what we’ve got in America.

gwelf on August 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Why wait when Ernesto just showed up?

Y’all know these NHS comparisons are apples to oranges…right? No ones voting on instituting an american NHS. Stop arguing around straw men, theres surely enough poor law in the current plans to take issue with.
ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM
***face palm***

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM

After reading ernesto’s crayon scribblings I see he is just as moronic as crr6!

bill30097 on August 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM

This woman rocks! We need more people like her. She is a stateswoman not a politician.

ReneePA on August 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

One clear trend in the last few decades is the closing of public hospitals and emergence of private hospitals as the major provider. Now, a liberal would tell you that’s an argument for public health care; the market place will respond to the greater number of ‘insured’s’ with increased capacity. I would say “Why does the public model fail?”

How about lack of revenue and an administrative/patronage boondoggle as an answer? Parkland as the Dallas County Hospital would be a good example of this, just as Jeff Davis was in Houston.

Oh well, at least you got you some “Kennedy-Care”.
Sorry, that was sick but I couldn’t help it.

Doorgunner on August 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM

#310 Killgore Trout

I have been reading Ed for about 3 years (seems like it), and I would say he is remarkably consistent over that time. I have not detected any shift of principles.

Well, time for a intelligent design post. :-/

WashJeff on August 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

What is “Paulification”?

Count to 10 on August 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM

What is “Paulification”?

Count to 10 on August 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Ron Paul

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM

: #310 Killgore Trout

I’m not posting the link.

Heh. “Killgore Trout” is just one of the known CJ sock puppets. It’s an echo chamber.

I would never vote for Ron Paul but I don’t see the need to call names, belittle the man, or degrade his supporters.

Paul as severely misguided as he is on foreign policy accomplished something with his life instead of becoming a pony-tailed loser.

tetriskid on August 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Well I guess they did have one argument…Tonsils and Limbs for cash…

BigWyo on August 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Reconcile your comments. You say that Ms. Bachmann’s 5 trips to the hospital is “poor rehtoric”, but you use the example of one poster on this site to prove “your” point that it happens here.

CBP on August 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Doesn’t change the fact that ‘it happens here’.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Are you actually trying to say maternity care here is just as bad as in the UK? Or are you just trying to desperately hold on to a straw man?

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Doesn’t change the fact that ‘it happens here’.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

From the Dallas Morning News:

It was a particularly hectic April day at Parkland, with 57 babies born, a third more than normal. Women were in labor in the hallways, doctors and nurses were too busy to break for lunch or dinner, and, suddenly, Ms. Oviedo’s emergency cropped up.

Still, it wasn’t too much to handle at Dallas County’s public hospital, where delivering healthy babies has become a primary focus and a source of deep pride.

Last year, Parkland’s doctors and nurse-midwives delivered 15,590 babies – a diaper-wearing contingent that was double the population of Highland Park.

Babies arrive at Parkland at an average rate of 42 infants per day. Feeding this birthing frenzy: the growing number of Hispanic immigrants using the hospital.

More than 80 percent of the women who gave birth at Parkland last year had Hispanic surnames. The hospital does not focus on whether these women are legal residents of the U.S. Federal law requires hospitals to care for any woman who shows up in labor.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM

She is a strong voice of common sense and reason in the land of liberal morons!

GFW on August 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Hot Air is still on LGF’s list of sources.

baldilocks on August 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I checked under news/opinion, blogs and resources on LGF’s link list and did not see HotAir or a “sources” list.

Am I blind?

Disturb the Universe on August 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM

tetriskid on August 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Agreed and I know of no federal politcian that has upheld his oath better than Ron Paul when it comes to domestic issues. If someone knows of a elected federal office holder that has defended the constitution better, please let me know.

WashJeff on August 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM

When Parkland says immigrants, they mean illegal.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Ron Paul

Knucklehead on August 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Which prompts the question “What does Ron Paul have to do with HotAir, so as to make it an insult when the comparison is made on LGF?”

Count to 10 on August 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Michele Bachman is learning from the travails of Sarah Palin. A strong conservative woman can now shoot and move with impunity through the weakness and limpwristers of the liberal movement.

She’s kicking ass and taking initials, no time for names, only initials.

Good job MB. Keep it up–liberals are on the run and they’re running out of arugala.

ted c on August 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Doesn’t change the fact that ‘it happens here’.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I have no college education, so forgive my question. Rep. Bachman was citing statistics from the NHS in England, and you are using anecdotal evidence from posted comments to bolster your argument. Is that an effective debating maneuver?

TugboatPhil on August 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM

CBP on August 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM

not to mention the fact that “laboring in hallways” ISN’T the same as what is happening in the UK. It’s kinda ridiculous to compare an anecdotal story here to institutionalized crappy care. Thousands of documented cases vs one anecdotal story is only equal in a libs head.

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM

tetriskid on August 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM

LGF is a joke. Have you seen web stats on LGF lately? It’s tanking, both in visits and relevancy.

Please stop linking to this clown site.

Norwegian on August 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I always have like Ms Bachmann. I am glad I voted for her when I lived in her district (Woodbury). I’ll never forget meeting her and her family at the Afton 4th of July parade in 2000.

She is a patriot and fighter for the conservatives.

jbh45 on August 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Doesn’t change the fact that ‘it happens here’.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Wait…

So now anectdotal evidence is acceptable rhetoric in this thread? That was quick.

anuts on August 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Doesn’t change the fact unfounded claim that ‘it happens here’.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

If you have evidence that thousands in the US are forced to give birth in hallways due to a shortage of hospital beds, please share.

jhffmn on August 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I love this woman. She takes no sh** from anyone. Logistically, she and Palin may not be a 2012 ticket, but it would cause the left to have convulsions.

Where are the spineless men in the GOP?

davek70 on August 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Very true. With one of my wife’s births, the maternity ward was very busy that night. The staff had to scramble to get a bed ready for her. It was a quick delivery with the doctor barely getting there in time. But, the care was excellent, our child just happened to come at the same time as many other kids were knocking at the door. We didn’t encounter indifferent nurses who didn’t care. The staff was very professional. We have good care and coverage now, so keep your hands off of it.

CBP on August 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM

For the record: I am in no way a lib. The reason that cases like mine are happening in the US is because of liberal immigration attitudes. If Dallas hadn’t been overwhelmed with a population of illegal leeches, the hospital would not be overrun. But, do not make the mistake of thinking that this kind of thing is not happening in the US.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM

When Parkland says immigrants, they mean illegal.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

One of the frequent costs to U.S. taxpayers is delivery of babies to illegal alien mothers. A California study put the number of these anchor baby deliveries in the state in 1994 at 74,987, at a cost of $215 million. At that time, those births constituted 36 percent of all Medi-Cal births, and they have grown now to substantially more than half or the annual Medi-Cal budget. In 2003, 70 percent of the 2,300 babies born in San Joaquin General Hospital’s maternity ward were anchor babies. Medical in 2003 had 760,000 illegal alien beneficiaries, up from 2002, when there were 470,000.
Madeleine Peiner Cosman, Ph.D., Esq. “Illegal Aliens and American Medicine,” Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Spring 2005.

Seems to be a problem in California as well…..

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Michael Savage/Michelle Bachman 2012!!

PaulMorphy on August 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM

jhffmn on August 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Read the DMN article above. I am a conservative and I am telling you it is happening. Call me a liar if you want, I have personally experienced it.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM

ZING….

I have relatives in Germany, this is years ago, but my Mom went to the hospital to visit one of my cousins when she had a baby.. My Mom said the hospital was filthy…

reshas1 on August 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Yes, i talked myself into a circle and wound up making the opposite to ms. bachmann’s case…which was not my original intent. Ms. Bachmann’s using her own status as a mother is still poor rhetoric, but i have to admit i talked myself into a circle and made just that same mistake. my apologizes.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM

apple and oranges… apples and oranges.

What you are describing is not what is happening in the UK. Scale is important when making such comparisons.

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Don’t let them Palinize her either… The left has been trying to bring her down since last year.

reshas1 on August 28, 2009 at 3:06 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for the apology. Now which part of the circle are you going to square. :)

CBP on August 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Ms. Bachmann’s using her own status as a mother is still poor rhetoric,

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM

and you pretending that was the entirety of her argument is yet another “flaw” in your reasoning. It was a great one liner that shut the guy up so she could deliver some facts backed up by a stack of evidence.

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Parkland Memorial Hospital begins eliminating 200 jobs to balance 2010 budget

12:26 AM CDT on Friday, August 21, 2009
By SHERRY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News

Parkland Memorial Hospital began eliminating 200 jobs this week in an effort to balance its proposed $1.1 billion budget for 2010.

Officials at Dallas County’s charity hospital said half the positions were already vacant, though 99 employees were notified Wednesday or Thursday that their current jobs would end late next month.

Those workers will be allowed to apply for other vacant positions within the hospital system, said John Haupert, the hospital’s chief operating officer.

“Most of the jobs are clerical in nature,” he said of the positions cut.

Many would have been phased out anyway because the hospital is installing an electronic system to handle its medical records, he said.

“As we have rolled out more components of electronic medical records, more of those [clerical] functions have been replaced.”

For example, physicians are expected to enter their own orders for patient medications and therapies into the electronic system rather than depend on a clerk to do it.

The job cuts also were necessitated by a decline in the county’s tax base. Countywide, property values dipped 3.1 percent this year, the largest percentage drop since 1992.

Because local taxes provide about 40 percent of Parkland’s funding, the declining values would have reduced hospital revenues next year by about $14 million, Haupert noted.
The hospital’s proposed $1.1 billion operating budget calls for a 25.4-cent tax rate per $100 assessed value. The rate has not changed since 2000.

The owner of a $150,000 home in Dallas County with a 25 percent homestead exemption would pay about $286 in hospital district taxes next year, about $9 less than this year.
The hospital’s board of managers is expected to approve the budget and a $73 million capital spending plan Tuesday, and the Dallas County Commissioners Court will consider them Sept. 8.

Doorgunner on August 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM

CBP on August 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

You should have stopped there.

HornetSting on August 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

And even though the NHS comparison is apples to oranges, yes, she gave the silly line in an almost comedic context.

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Doorgunner on August 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Ooh look! Obama has cost some more jobs!

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Hey, Ernesto, there’s hope for you yet! ;-)

When women are giving birth in the hallways in the US (as in TXMom’s story), it’s acknowledged as a problem attributable to a specific cause (illegal aliens having anchor babies).

When women are giving birth in the hallways in the UK under NHS, it’s business as usual.

That, I think is the difference that the heckler didn’t understand. See, in my experience, most liberals can only make first-order comparisons: To them, pushing a kid out of traffic is the same as pushing a kid into traffic, because the action (of pushing a kid) is the same.

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Ampersand on August 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Think what you want. At this point in my life, I wouldn’t take my dog to Parkland. The hospital is filthy, overrun by illegals and gang-bangers, and the nurses I dealt with were hags with attitudes.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Argh!

That, I think is the difference

We’re having a terrible comma drought in California. They’re being rationed. Any of you with spare commas, please put one in after “think”.

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM

awesome line!

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

It’s okay. There is a spelling and punctuation drought in Texas.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM

awesome line!

ernesto on August 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Thanks! The idea isn’t original with me, though.

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM

It’s okay. There is a spelling and punctuation drought in Texas.

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM

ROFL! :-D

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Help yourself. No thanks necessary.

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Oh, hillbillyjim, I know you said you didn’t need thanks, but I have to thank you anyway! It’s getting so bad here, we have to recycle our apostrophes…

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I am convinced that liberals, while initially funny and a bit over zealous, are seriously brain damaged or are serious in their desire to over throw the Constitution or just flat out ignore it.

There is no legitimate reason why the federal govt has any business even discussing health care reform. This is not granted them by the USCon and neither should it be. Liberals, however, don’t care. Negative liberties and all that crap Obambi keeps spewing.

JP1986UM on August 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM

You didn’t have to go and get all green on me.

But I’m sure the polar bears will thank you.

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

There is a spelling and punctuation drought in Texas.
TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM

W’s enduring legacy.

benny shakar on August 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

You didn’t have to go and get all green on me.

Hey, it’s state law! Recycle the apostrophes, separate the hyphens from the underscores, limit use of exclamation points during the hottest part of the day…

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM

But you are always free to dangle those participles.

Disturb the Universe on August 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM

There is a spelling and punctuation drought in Texas.
TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM

W’s enduring legacy.

benny shakar on August 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Now Benny, don’t make us go nukular on ya. Awesome cheap shot.

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM

But you are always free to dangle those participles.

Disturb the Universe on August 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Oh, dear! [blush] Were they showing?

Mary in LA on August 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM

benny shakar on August 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I’d like to compare my president’s college transcripts, to your president’s transcripts. What? Obama won’t release his and let us see how brilliant he is?

TXMomof3 on August 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM