Surprise: ABC, NBC won’t air anti-ObamaCare ad

posted at 6:05 pm on August 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, there is a surprise. For once, it’s not NBC that’s the guiltiest party here.

“The ABC Television Network has a long-standing policy that we do not sell time for advertising that presents a partisan position on a controversial public issue,” spokeswoman Susan Sewell said in a written statement. “Just to be clear, this is a policy for the entire network, not just ABC News.”

NBC, meanwhile, said it has not turned down the ad and will reconsider it with some revisions.

“We have not rejected the ad,” spokeswoman Liz Fischer told FOXNews.com. “We have communicated with the media agency about some factual claims that require additional substantiation. As always, we are happy to reconsider the ad once these issues are addressed.”

Adams objects to ABC’s assertion that his group’s position is partisan.

I’m curious to know which facts NBC thinks are in dispute. Cuts to Medicare, which even some Democrats are now hinting at? Rationing in Britain, on the heels of yesterday’s report about pregnant women being turned away from maternity wards? A crisis in Canadian health care, whose own administrators are calling for massive reforms even while they’re busy shipping patients across the border to the United States for treatment?

At least they’re willing to consider the ad. What’s ABC’s excuse for torpedoing this after giving Obama an hour-long primetime infomercial at which no Republican pols were permitted to appear? The “partisan” excuse is idiotic: The ad’s not being sponsored by a party; concerns about many aspects of ObamaCare (although perhaps not cost) cut across party lines to a significant degree; and if things go according to plan in Massachusetts, the Dems will soon once again have a filibuster-proof majority, leaving the opposition party essentially locked out of the debate. How deeply invested are they in this travesty passing that they won’t even take money from people seeking to balance their “news” commercials for The One with a paid ad?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

NBC is blatantly partisan, makes no qualms about it and is at least willing to admit what and who it is. ABC on the other hand is packed with liars and cowards. They say they are refusing the ad because it is partisan and they don’t air partisan political ads. Bull! They hosted a special for Obama and shilled his healthcare aberration all week long. NBC is nothing but a full time purveyor of left wing tripe and proud of it . . . ABC is composed of gutless leftists without the courage to even admit what they are. At least NBC has the power of its convictions but ABC is nothing but a gaggle of despicable deceivers and frauds.

rplat on August 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

maverick muse on August 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM
That ad is sponsered by the AARP who claims to be impartial to the whole health care debate.

fourdeucer on August 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I see you didn’t watch Beck with Limbaugh yesterday either. Our new “Diversity Czar” wants a 100% tax on all profits from media outlets.
Knucklehead on August 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Do not confuse “profits” (something the movie industry NEVER makes) with “revenue” (something the movie industry and broadcasters make by the container-ship load).

The groups that want to run ads and can pay for them are probably the ones with standing to have the FCC suspend the broadcaster’s licenses. Not so sure about others, but there is a periodic review of station practices that is open to public comment.

This will stir up a lot of very powerful people, and there’s a good chance that bad things will happen. But with enough targets and enough “stand-up” it should correct the broadcast media’s attitude very quickly. The follow-on problem, frivolous complaints by leftist will be easy to deal with.

Arbalest on August 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM

We are headed in a scary direction. Those that get their information from traditional sources have no idea what is happening in this country.

TXMomof3 on August 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Man ABC is stupider than dirt. The best way to guarantee millions of YouTube views for this commercial is to ban it. More people will watch it than would have on ABC and ABC gets $0 from it.

angryed on August 27, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I hate to break it to you, but when someone rolls their eyes and says, “whatever” — you haven’t convinced anyone.

cthulhu on August 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

That is funny…

right2bright on August 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM

And of course no one complains about this excepts us

Let’s just humor ourselves with what would happen if Fox or any conservative talk radio station (which does run liberal ads) would not run a specific liberal ad? Censorship screaming at the top of hteir lungs

Defector01 on August 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Let’s see….ABC….GE…..White House……nope no connections there.

GarandFan on August 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM

1242 more days.

Or not.

katy the mean old lady on August 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Funny, the evil Fox News is running plenty of paid pro-Omamacare ads (as they should).

holdfast on August 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I haven’t watched ABC,NBC for so long I can’t remember, I guess they have a death wish, I was even p***ed with Fox news to-day especially, Shep Smith carrying on about the great Ted Kennedy, get away with murder and become a hero he was what he was and will answer for it, a hero he was not. I hope this country survives this Obamination.

concernedsenior on August 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Such garbage. They’ve been running ads in favor of socialist healthcare.

Ryan Gandy on August 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I personally just called my local affiliate and told them that I was BLOCKING their channel on my cable box until they get out of the tank for Barry Hussein…..I suggest we all do that for this unbelievable hypocrisy…..

SDarchitect on August 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Remember those Obama ads during the election, the ones that relied on such impeccable and fair sources as Time’s Joe Klein for quotes about McCain’s mendacity. Those ran on every network.

Now, suddenly, we need layers of fact-checking and due diligence? Spare me, ABC.

John on August 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Such garbage. They’ve been running ads in favor of socialist healthcare.

Ryan Gandy on August 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM

You gotta remember people didn’t find out about what’s in the Obama DeathCare bill from them. People have alternate sources. What these companies do is irrelevant. The word’s out on Obama and what he’s trying to do. It’s spreading like wildfire through the internet and word of mouth.

No one believes Obama or the democrats anymore.

darwin on August 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Just finished re-reading the first ‘book’ of ’1984′, and then this hits.

Scary. And I thought ‘Atlas Shrugged’ was close to what’s happening now……..

HAnthonyWayne on August 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM

SDarchitect on August 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Awesome.

darwin on August 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Send them an email and then block them out.

dogsoldier on August 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM

That’s pathetic. I just took ABC off of my custom channel lineup on satellite. GONE. I’ll buy the College Football Package before I let nielsen register me as watching ABC.

marklmail on August 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM

this is why I don’t tune my TV to this communist channels. May they burn in hell

bluegrass on August 27, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Afrolib on August 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

You don’t happen to work at a facility for the mentally challenged and may have debated a Mister “Napoleon” and a Mister “Superman”, both diehard conservatives on Ward 6, did you.

Your supervisor is calling …

ExpressoBold on August 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Get a kick out of NBC. They want to be sure there are no errors in the ad!? Ha! Have you ever watched their nightly news program? No errors there …. What a joke. And I suspect we could find all kinds of lib ads that they’ve aired that were blatantly false!

Christian Conservative on August 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM

This ad is too short…it should be an hour long and aired from the WH…oh wait…nevermind.

jerrytbg on August 27, 2009 at 7:37 PM

So; When’s Obama and his goons going to change the U.S. Flag? Can’t be too far off!

Cybergeezer on August 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM

It’s so easy to boycott these Obama slaves; They have nothing but crap to watch anyway.

Cybergeezer on August 27, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Well, it looks like Axelrod and David Brock have successfully mau-maued ABC to “refuse to spread the myths.” Heckuva job there.

I haven’t really paid attention to the channels, but I’ve seen a lot of pro-ObamaCare ads here in Philly. I haven’t yet seen one in opposition.

rockmom on August 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I just watched the ad, and all I have to say is WHAT??????

What was partisan about that ad?

Daggett on August 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM

The only reason I care about this is that it may influence some of the seniors who actually watch the networks. The only time I ever do is for The Office or an occasional football game.

metric on August 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Proving the world is indeed upside down, NBC is owned by General Electric, who got millions of taxpayer dollars from the government to bolster the bottom line of its credit unit.
As a result, the taxpayers are funding the partisan idiots running this network which prevents arguments they don’t favor from being aired. Excellent. I think I’ll go put my head in the oven.

bradley11 on August 27, 2009 at 8:14 PM

1242 more days.

Or not.

katy the mean old lady on August 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM

less, many less, sic semper paratis

bill30097 on August 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Sooner or later, the American people are going to just snap over being lied to and treated like they just fell off the back of a turnip truck, and that anger is going to go viral over the internet, and then they are going to turn that network off by the tens of millions.

And that network is going to be off the air in weeks.

Watch it happen.

drunyan8315 on August 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM

So, who’s running the AARP ad. Does ABC have a problem with that ad. I’m always amazed that I live in a country, that doesn’t have censorship, and I see liberals censor things all the time. The Swift Boat ads were censored and yet any ad that attacked George Bush was front and center on the air.

Are there no limits for the Obama Media? This plan is still sinking and yet the media won’t let any of the complaints about it hit their airwaves. How are all these people, who are against it, getting their information? However it is, we should all be thankful and be wary of Obamas minions who are trying to shut down all the alternative media.

bflat879 on August 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM

The honeymoon continues.

SoulGlo on August 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM

The FCC looms…….you figger it out

Reality Check on August 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Read up on Art Buchwald’s lawsuit against Paramount over the “profits” from “Coming to America.” Basically he made a deal for a percentage of the “net” profits. Through the creative bookkeeping in the movie industry, there were no profits. Notice that most savvy movie types always deal for a portion of the gross receipts.

Holger on August 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Darn! Just went I thought the media might be objective again, this happens.

Travis1 on August 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM

NBC = Nothing But Communists

Dopenstrange on August 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM

ABC… NBC… not in my house… What a bunch of lying MSM liars who lie…

Khun Joe on August 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Saw this ad on ABC while watching the news tonight…

lutherjw on August 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Looks like I might not be watching too much of Grey’s Anatomy next season, LOL …

tartan on August 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM

The new FCC diversity officer is on the job and seems to be working very well.

d1carter on August 28, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Why don’t they assign these networks as cabinet posts and get it over with?

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Journalists?? News?? Propagandists for Obama and nothing more…

Obama is a liar and Truth
is killing his Marxist agenda.

Army Brat on August 28, 2009 at 3:33 AM

And Beck is insane, right, Trolls? Bunch of ostriches.

kingsjester on August 28, 2009 at 5:58 AM

ABC & NBC – RRAAAAAAACIIISSSSSST

Cybergeezer on August 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM

If I owned the media like the libs did, I’d farging brag about it.

hawkdriver on August 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Why air an ad that is a lie? Totally support the call. Kinder surprised the “Fake News Channel” turned down the ad though.

Afrolib on August 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Hey idiot, FOX didn’t turn down the ad–ABC did. The ABC chick was “EXPLAINING” to the FOX CHANNEL. Those remedial reading classes really helped, didn’t they?

lovingmyUSA on August 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

That add is 100% fact-free. It doesn’t contain a single proven — or provable — assertion. Networks tend to be skittish about airing lies, as they should be.

Bleeds Blue on August 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

You have been in the basement for too long–you must have missed the campaign ads of Owee-wee and friends. Oh, and about those facts–it’s a proven fact that libtards don’t let FACTS get in their way…

lovingmyUSA on August 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Whatever. The public option is going to pass with or without you naysayers.

Off topic: I was able to convince 2 conservatives on the job today to approve of the public option. What a good debate we had. One thing liberals do best is out debate conservatives.

Afrolib on August 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Everyone knows that you have to HUMOR those less gifted intellectually. You actually do pretty well, for someone who was held back in 8th grade for two years…

why is my hair so mussed today?
Afrolib on August 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Ahem, you have something on your chin, and a stain on your dress…Does your mom know you sneak clothes from her closet?

lovingmyUSA on August 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I wonder how the diversity czar will respond.

rjoco1 on August 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I haven’t watched anything on the Alphabet Networks in years. They’ve all been partisan shills for decades, so this doesn’t surprise me at all.

Spiny Norman on August 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM