Mary Mapes knew Bush volunteered for Vietnam: CBS report

posted at 11:36 am on August 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

This story by Bernard Goldberg certainly takes me back to the early days of my blogging career.  Shortly after the 2004 Republican convention, Mary Mapes produced a segment for 60 Minutes II that alleged that George W. Bush had manipulated his enlistment in the Texas Air National Guard to avoid serving in combat in Vietnam.  The documents used by CBS, Mapes, and Dan Rather turned out to be clumsy hoaxes, which the blogosphere exposed through careful review of their substance and their form (the latter of which I played a small part in refuting, with my expertise in printing and fonts, among larger efforts from Power Line, Bill Ardolino, and LGF, and mainstream media reporter Thomas Lipscomb).

CBS did an internal investigation that discredited the memos and caused the network to fire Mapes.  Buried in the report, however, is an admission that has not been noticed until now — which is that Mapes knew the basis of her story was an outright lie from the beginning (emphases Goldberg’s):

Until now, the controversy over the Rather/Mapes story has centered almost entirely on one issue:  the legitimacy of the documents – a very important issue, indeed.  But it turns out that there was another very important issue, one that goes to the very heart of what the story was about – and one that has gone virtually unnoticed.   This is it:  Mary Mapes knew before she put the story on the air that George W. Bush, the alleged slacker, had in fact volunteered to go to Vietnam.

Who says?  The outside panel CBS brought into to get to the bottom of the so-called “Rathergate” mess says. I recently re-examined the panel’s report after a source, Deep Throat style, told me to “Go to page 130.”  When I did, here’s the startling piece of information I found:

Mapes had information prior to the airing of the September 8 [2004] Segment that President Bush, while in the TexANG [Texas Air National Guard] did volunteer for service in Vietnam but was turned down in favor of more experienced pilots.  For example, a flight instructor who served in the TexANG with Lieutenant Bush advised Mapes in 1999 that Lieutenant Bush “did want to go to Vietnam but others went first.”  Similarly, several others advised Mapes in 1999, and again in 2004 before September 8, that Lieutenant Bush had volunteered to go to Vietnam but did not have enough flight hours to qualify.

This information, despite the fact that it has been available since the CBS report came out four years ago, has remained a secret to almost everybody both in and out of the media — one lonely fact in a 234- page report loaded with thousands of facts, and overshadowed by the controversy surrounding the documents.

Recall that the heart of Mapes’ story was that Bush was a coward who didn’t want to face combat.  In the context of the 2004 election, the importance of this attack cannot be underestimated.  Bush had put the country into two shooting wars, one popular (Afghanistan) and one decidedly not by 2004 (Iraq).  Even though the previous Democratic president had been a flat-out draft dodger and the Democratic contender was battling a reputation as a medal-polisher and backstabber from a collection of his former colleagues in the Navy, substantiation of Mapes’ allegation would have proven fatal to Bush’s re-election.

Volunteering for combat, however, contradicts that entirely.  Everyone understood that Bush didn’t want to go into the infantry, but then again, neither had John Kerry.  Both volunteered to serve in other capacities.  Bush asked to go to Vietnam, and except for his inexperience, would have been sent into combat.  Mapes knew this — and pursued the allegations of cowardice anyway.

That goes beyond being hoaxed by Bill Burkett and the mythical “Lucy Ramirez” and running a story with no corroboration.  It indicts Mapes and by extension Rather (who apparently couldn’t be bothered to check on the documents or story on his own) in a plot to deliberately conduct a character assassination from a broadcast booth, in an explicit attempt to manipulate an election.  It should be the final nail in the coffins of their credibility, and it will be interesting to see if anyone other than Goldberg reports it.

Update: I forgot to put Bill Ardolino among those top-drawer blogger efforts.  Ardolino hired a document examiner for a truly independent look at CBS’ claims.

Update II: I also forgot Thomas Lipscomb, one of the few reporters in the mainstream media willing to write about CBS’ hit piece in those first days, who did a great service in helping to expose it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

don’t know who getalife is, do ya?

fogw on August 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

For those unfamiliar with Hot Air Troll History prior to April 27, 2009, getalife, RIP, was one of my favorite trolls. As inane a non sequiturian as the tealeaves are young. It’s most frequent response to any situation was:

adults are in charge now

the president is a good man

all is well

And then, on that dark day in April, it lost its little temper, Ed banned it, and many of us here have been in mourning ever since.

** sniff sniff sniff **

Loxodonta on August 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

it will be interesting to see if anyone other than Goldberg reports it

<crickets>

Why would anyone report on it? The MainScream Media suppressing facts that don’t fit the narrative, while fabricating fake “facts” that do (Rathergate, incendiary devices mounted on fuel tanks to be sure they blow up in the impact test, hiding the skin melanin content of a gun-totin’ ObamaCare protester) is dog-bites-man stuff.

The Monster on August 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

makes you wonder how many lies they get away with.

jp on August 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM

JP, everything in the MSM is a lie until proven otherwise.

Mangy Scot on August 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Let’s look at Teddy Kennedy’s military record….
Caper29 on August 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Or his academic records…
Upstater85 on August 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

You mean those 27 scotch and sodas he hammered home at the Ahnnual Hahvahd Toga Pahty?

Patrick S on August 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Ed: It should be the final nail in the coffins of their credibility, and it will be interesting to see if anyone other than Goldberg reports it.

Dear Ed: I have much more faith in the Left’s ability to keep this lie alive for another decade or more. Two words: Janeane Garafalo.

Loxodonta on August 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Maybe Mr. Goldberg just got around to reading the whole report, that makes it news for him. Not me.

The only reason it’s “news” today…well, I don’t have a clue.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Fair enough.

It was not news to you. It was to me, having never read the full report. So on behalf of all of us who had not seen it or read it previously, I appreciate Ed bringing it to our attention.

Sorry, but I didn’t think it was worth taking a swipe at Ed. It it’s not your cup of tea, go to a different tea stand.

fogw on August 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I haven’t read the comments, but I read the story and Ed’s wrapup, and here’s the thing. I don’t remember where or when I read this, but during the whole kerfuffle in 2004 this little tidbit was absolutely reported.

Now, it may not have been reported that Mary Mopes knew it, but it was reported as documented fact that Bush had volunteered to go. Anyone else recall that?

Jaibones on August 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Sad day in America when the National Enquirer has more credibility than the MSM.

rukiddingme on August 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM

It may sound like I’m missing the story here, but because it was reported, I assumed all along that Mopes had been informed of it. How would she avoid learning this?

She’s a partisan hack, of course.

Jaibones on August 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM

My only question is, why didn’t Pres. Bush counter these bogus allegations by proving he tried to volunteer for Vietnam back in 2004. I don’t recall much of a defensive effort other than simply proving the “documents” were forgeries.

Yakko77 on August 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

He doesn’t foul my TV screen at news time anymore. Gone. Fired. Lawsuit dimissed. How insulting to him it must be, having been replaced by Couric. Kind of like losing to Jimmy Carter. How’s that feel, Teddy?

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Judge restores Dan Rather suit

July 21, 2009

A New York judge who previously dismissed Dan Rather’s $70 million lawsuit against CBS and Viacom has restored the claim.

~snip~

As for resenting Dubya’s name being cleared, a lot of people even here appear to not have known he had volunteered to go to Vietnam (I, as noted upthread, did know) and since to this day, believe me, lefties keep claiming Bush tried to avoid going and continue to belittle and denigrate the service he did perform forgive those of us who will continue to fight the good fight and keep putting forth the facts in the face of falsehoods.

KittyLowrey on August 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

If President Bush had gone to Vietnam, would his military record escaped Liberal criticism? Of course not!!! Even if he won the Medal of Honor for shooting down 5 MiGs in a single day, the left would have attacked him. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

As far as I’m concerned, President Bush took a legal option open to him by enlisting in the ANG. He passed flight training, which cannot be faked (at most political influence would have granted him a second chance, which wasn’t needed), and served his time with credit if not outright distinction. Moreover, he was granted an honorable discharge after his file was reviewed. No credible evidence has emerged of any interference. Case closed.

KillerKane on August 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

** sniff sniff sniff **

Loxodonta on August 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Of course there were theorys that getalife was Barbra Streisand or Sean Penn…..

Rovin on August 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Liars should be screened out at the college level of journalism.

Osis on August 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

This brings back memories of LGF creator Charles Johnson’s big moment…his 15 minutes of fame. The flashing memo and the national interviews. The explosion in commenters and growth of LGF as a legit conservative website.

But oh how he and LGF have unraveled since then. LGF is now a lunatic echo chamber whose commenters march in lock step and where dissent is crushed with the ban hammer.

Again, I must ask; why does HotAir link to LGF, a website that constatnly attacks and mocks the Fox programs on which Michelle Malken often appears?

DrW on August 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM

BTW, I have long had this source bookmarked to pull out in the fairly frequent attacks from the left on GWB’s service.

LINK

And this excerpt from the cite addresses this topic:

While these accidents occurred during routine patrol and training flights, F-102 pilots endured further risk while serving under combat conditions in Vietnam. Some of these were Air National Guard pilots from the 147th FIG, where Bush was stationed. These ANG pilots served in Vietnam from 1968 to 1970 through a volunteer program called “Palace Alert.” Palace Alert was an Air Force program that sent qualified F-102 pilots from the ANG to bases in Europe or southeast Asia for three to six months of frontline service. This program was instituted because the Air Force lacked sufficient pilots of its own for duty in Vietnam but was unable to activate ANG units since Presidents Johnson and Nixon had decided not to do so for political reasons. Thanks to Palace Alert, the Air Force was able to transfer much-needed National Guard pilots to Vietnam on a voluntary basis while not actually calling up their squadrons.

Fred Bradley, a friend of Bush’s who was also serving in the Texas ANG, reported that he and Bush inquired about participating in Palace Alert. However, the two were told by their flight instructor, Maj. Maurice Udell, that they were not yet qualified since they were still in training and did not have the 500 hours of flight experience required. Furthermore, ANG veteran Col. William Campenni, who was a fellow pilot in the 111th FIS at the time, told the Washington Times that Palace Alert had stopped accepting new applicants before Bush would have been eligible.

KittyLowrey on August 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Of course there were theorys that getalife was Barbra Streisand or Sean Penn…..

Rovin on August 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

…..or our new resident moron Spathi.

NathanG on August 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM

The only reason it’s “news” today…well, I don’t have a clue.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I think the reason for the interest is that the Dems, from Obama to Hoyer to Creigh Deeds (Donkey candidate for Governor of VA) continue to invoke the name of George W. Bush to blame for everything, everything, that is amiss in our country today. They can’t get their facts straight and have been unwilling to do that, with the active complicity of the media, for decades. It is to the point where everything has to be challenged, again and again, in order to shut them down and drown out the lies.

We are sick of reading and hearing about how venal, awful and nasty President Bush was when in fact the opposite is true. He does not deserve the taint that the leftist, statist Nazis have been smearing on him. They are lying liars who lie the best.

So, every liberal lie about President Bush that can be dispatched eases the way for a new conservative, a real American, to become president. It gives us practice in obliterating ignorance and misinformation promulgated by the leftist Democrats and their media propaganda whores.

That’s why it’s news to me.

ExpressoBold on August 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

fogw on August 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Actually, I wasn’t swiping at Ed. I am, however, letting Ed know that this post is not up to the standard he has set, whether he realizes it or not, and I have come to expect and enjoy.

It’s really out of character, that’s all.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Loxodonta on August 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

Of course there were theorys that getalife was Barbra Streisand or Sean Penn…..

Rovin on August 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

ROFLMAO!!! Possibly Rosie ODonnel, or Mean Janean? LOL

capejasmine on August 27, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I’m reminded of this gem from Mapes in a 2005 interview with Brian Ross:

Mapes: “I’m perfectly willing to believe those documents are forgeries if there’s proof that I haven’t seen.”

Ross: “But isn’t it the other way around? Don’t you have to prove they’re authentic?”

Mapes: “Well, I think that’s what critics of the story would say. I know more now than I did then and I think, I think they have not been proved to be false, yet.”

Ross: “Have they proved to be authentic though? Isn’t that really what journalists do?”

Mapes: “No, I don’t think that’s the standard.”

RadClown on August 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I remember this, too, and Rather has said the same thing: no one has proved them false.

This error in thinking is not even Logic 101. It was taught (or used to be) the first week, if not the first day, in every college-English Composition 101 class.

You had to hammer home to a beginning writer that just tossing out unsupported statements did not qualify as making an argument in support of his thesis or proposition–and that responding to a challenge by saying, “Well, can you prove that it isn’t true?” was not a defense, but an error in logic.

What do they teach in the journalism schools these days?

Owen Glendower on August 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM

…lefties keep claiming Bush tried to avoid going and continue to belittle and denigrate the service he did perform forgive those of us who will continue to fight the good fight and keep putting forth the facts in the face of falsehoods.

KittyLowrey on August 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I support this position 100%, absolutely and unequivocally.

ExpressoBold on August 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Liars should be screened out at the college level of journalism.

Osis on August 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Lying is the greatest valued qualification for J-School.

BottomLine5 on August 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Loxodonta on August 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Holy Cow, you actually remember the date? If my wife’s birthday wasn’t so close to mine, I would probably never remember it.

getalife must have meany a lot to you. I’m so sorry that you miss him/her/it so much. That’s very touching.

;-)

[that's not a "wink" emoticon, that's me with a tear in my eye]

UltimateBob on August 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM

It should be the final nail in the coffins inverted porcupine of their credibility, and it will be interesting to see if anyone other than Goldberg reports it.

FIFY

Immolate on August 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM

That’s why it’s news to me.

ExpressoBold on August 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Maybe I am a bit jaded, having “been there” as that saga unfolded.

With the news of Uncle Ted achieving room temperature, many of the older crowd at the office were making the usual banter about the Kennedys. Some of the younger folks were a bit confused by the references to Mary Jo. I came to find out there are many young Americans who have no idea who Mary Jo is/was.

So, maybe a walk down memory lane every now and then is a good thing, to ensure the facts don’t get lost.

Ed, I take it back.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM

And this is why Mapes and Rather are where they are today, namely rapidly approaching obscurity and not even allowed within shouting distance of a newsroom.

Mapes especially richly deserves the scorn being heaped on her empty head. It is one thing to dishonestly report a story that is untrue, but it is quite another when you dishonestly report a story that is untrue and you know the story you are dishonestly reporting is untrue, even though you have the truth right there at your fingertips and reporting the untrue story may end up ruining the character and career of another person.

I do believe that is called libel.

I also believe Mr. Bush just may have something of a case against Mapes and Rather.

pilamaye on August 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Mapes is a cockroach who lives under the floorboards of an outhouse and eats dung. I believe it’s true; ergo it must be.
Prove it isn’t.
Yo.

whitetop on August 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM

pilamaye on August 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Yeah, but unfortunately GW is too much of a gentleman to play that game.

Wouldn’t it be great to see him go for the jugular. Clearly the Mapes/Rather fiasco has emboldened a lot of “journalists” to go after and destroy good people just for sport (like Palin). They need to see that there are very real and very costly consequences to such actions beyond just being fired and having their careers ruined.

UltimateBob on August 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I’m wondering why the Bush camp didn’t reveal this bit of information at the time.

Zaire67 on August 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM

And the Heart of the attack on McCain/Palin by CBS and still is SEE Letterman-Curic. Was that Sarah Palin was inexperienced and not politically savy enough. SEE State of Alaska and Facebook….Oh and John McCain was weak on how the American Economy operated SEE his last two town halls in Arizona…remember he was weak on the Economical issues. MSM – Liars, Liars, Pants on Fire. I can’t wait for the widespread layoffs in their industry. When more people lose their jobs “Double digit unemployment” they can’t buy stuff these News Outlet sponsors sell. Then they can stand in line with the people they lied to, and NOT mention who they voted for.

Dr Evil on August 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM

This is right on. The F-102 was a challenging aircraft, and it speaks volumes about Bush’s skills as a pilot that he was assigned to fly them. Many of these aircraft were lost to accidents, so many that it earned the nickname “Lawn Dart”. Additionally, with it’s use as an interceptor armed with nuclear-tipped Air-to-air missiles, only a very select number of pilots were accepted for duty in F-102 squadrons. Those pilots had to pass extensive psychological testing and background checks beforehand.

Good point–overlooked by all those who amused themselves with jokes about Bush’s intelligence, or lack thereof.

While I was in college in the mid-60s, you could get into the Marines aviation program with just 2 years of college. Being interested, I took and passed the “screening” exam, which qualified me to take the full written exam.

It was the most demanding math/science exam I ever experienced. Passed it, but beat my brains out for several hours doing it–and this after three semesters of calculus, plus a course in differential equations.

As it worked out, that’s as far as I went. But just the fact that Bush was admitted to flight training gives the lie to all of the jokes about his intelligence.

Owen Glendower on August 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

When your enemy is busy self-destructing, stay out of the way.

Immolate on August 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Ed, I take it back.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Thank you very much for that. I can only hope that my passion for defending Mr. Bush against scurrilous lies will embolden you as well.

I feel honored that you read my comment and chose to respond to it in such a positive fashion. Thank you again.

ExpressoBold on August 27, 2009 at 1:08 PM

w was lousy pilot
stupid con couldn’t fly straight
- getalife

fogw on August 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM

And you are a small wormy idiot.

rplat on August 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Doesn’t matter. The point behind the story was political damage. It accomplished that. ‘Course it also blew up in Rather’s face.

And now we know that Rather, Mapes et al. are rank liars and shamelessly so. Political stooges of the Democrat party.

spmat on August 27, 2009 at 1:14 PM

…it will be interesting to see if anyone other than Goldberg reports it.

It would be far more interesting if GW Bush would actually defend his record. There is no virtue in being a punching bag.

Bill C on August 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Owen Glendower on August 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

When I worked for the Navy I learned that there are

1. Pilots
2. Stupid people

However, Stupid Pilots are the most rare element in the universe due to the fact that stupid pilots quickly become dead pilots (sort of like the guy who did the loop around the Maxim Gorky)

… Bush flew numerous all weather missions in an unstable aircraft and survived. ergo, it is almost out of the realm of human possibility that he is stupid.

Just for kicks imagine Michael Moore’s fat lard covered butt and back squeezed into a 102 cockpit with the brakes released and engine at full power….. or better yet, imagine him trying to land during a thunderstorm at 2 am with just enough fuel for one pass. Warms my heart that does.

bullseye on August 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Bill C on August 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

That’s what I was getting at earlier. He pulled the same crap with Iraq. He didn’t stand up for the effort near as faithfully as he should’ve. He probably figured the facts would speak for themselves except he didn’t figure that the MSM manipulates those facts to their own desires and goals which were not his.

Yakko77 on August 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

And you are a small wormy idiot.

rplat on August 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

It was a joke. Did you miss the getalife moniker?

rplat, you’ve been around here long enough to know who getalife is/was. A troll with an eleven word vocabulary.

I’ll use bold print from now on. Sorry everybody.

fogw on August 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

The so-called “MSM” are not mainstream any longer. They are media, but not in the sense of news. They are clearly not the mainstream. More like Josef Goebbels…

Therefore, I think we have to state clearly what the so-called MSM is now: The Ministry of Propaganda (MoP)

I think this characterizes them perfectly. The Fourth Estate is now a fifth column in America. Not to be listened to. Not to be trusted. To question every word they say. They actively change or do not report material facts. Censorship of the truth. Only in business to advance an agenda detrimental to our great country.

The newspapers (!) tell us that people are moving to the Internet to get news because the news cycle is faster, or the technology is great, or whatever. They can delude yourself all they want on why it is happening.

Blaming the Internet is merely the symptom, not the problem. The reason people are going to the Internet is to get the truth, and be able to fact check it. The absolute lack of real news, the outright lies, the not reporting of ALL the facts so a story can be slanted to fit the agenda, etc., is the problem.

The people correctly understand that the former MSM now distributes nothing but propaganda and merely prints the daily faxes from various groups who desire to destroy us.

Then they are they surprised we don’t want to pay for it?

Nagman on August 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Let’s look at Teddy Kennedy’s military record….

Caper29 on August 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

He joined the Army in the early 1950s, thinking he would be stationed in Europe. When the possibility arose that he might get sent to Korea, he had Sugar Daddy Joe get him out after serving only 2 years of a 4 year hitch.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM

adults are in charge now

the president is a good man

all is well

Ahhhh! The good old days, when trolls were brief.

GunRunner on August 27, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I’m not trying to defend Mapes for using the phony document. But I dont see how this “revelation” proves that Bush showed up for his obligations in the TexasANG.

For one thing, has Bush himself claimed that he volunteered to go to Vietnam?

If this was about the swiftboating of John Kerry and a report came out saying that one unnamed instructor and “several others” (also unnamed) claimed that the Swift Boat Veterans’ claims were lies, would that automatically prove that they were, in fact, lies? Of course not.

If Mapes got this info, then she should have checked it out. The report (or at least the snippet provided here) does not make it clear whether she did or not.

And as I said before, even if Bush did volunteer – something which is certainly not proven here – that doesnt disprove the actual allegation against Bush: that he failed to show up to meet his TexasANG duties. So I’m not certain of the relevance 5 years later.

orange on August 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Why is this considered news? The Boccardi-Thornburgh report revealed this very same piece of information years back. Ed, didn’t you read it?

DubiousD on August 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I remember getalife vaguely. That was it’s last name (vaguely) was it not?

JoeySlippers on August 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

This isn’t even half of the real story, as far as I am concerned. I have always believed that this 60 Minutes story was planted and was a deliberate political hit, coordinated with the DNC and the Kerry campaign every step of the way. There are simply too many coincidences there, and people crossing paths who never should have.

Dan Rather hated the Bush family ever since George H.W. Bush showed him up during his attempted ambush interview in 1988 by throwing back Rather’s infamous 7 minutes of dead air when he walked off the set. Rather thought he had destroyed Bush, but Bush ended up turning the interview around and making an ass of Rather. It started the revival of Bush in the polls and he ended up winning the election by a landslide. And Rather suffered a grievous blow to his reputation, for which he never forgave Bush or any of his children.

Dan Rather also was the first network news anchor to erroneously call Florida and thus the election for Al Gore in the 2000, before the polls had closed in the Panhandle. Again, he thought a Bush had lost the election and was practically gleeful about it on the air. he was shown up yet again when it turned out Bush had won Florida and the election.

There is no doubt in my mind that he was not going to stand still and let another Bush win an election. I believe he gave Mary Mapes an order to “get Bush” and told her to do whatever was necessary. I believe he gave her the political contacts in Texas, where his daughter worked for the Texas Democratic Party. I believe either he or Mapes let the DNC in on the whole thing well before it aired.

John Kerry won the Democratic nomination in large part because the DNC thought his service in Vietnam would neutralize the “war issue” in the campaign and might even get him enough votes from military personnel and veterans to win the election. They wanted desperately to undermine Bush’s military service — and they were stark raving mad after the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth attacks. The DNC had an entire message campaign called “Operation Fortunate Son” prepared and they started rolling it out the day after Rather’s report, until the forgery of the documents became the story and CBS had to retract.

rockmom on August 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

For one thing, has Bush himself claimed that he volunteered to go to Vietnam?

orange on August 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

What difference would that make? People in the Air National Guard, people in a position to know, say that he did. I believe it was also included in a story published in JFK Jr’s magazine, GEORGE, during the 2000 campaign. Mapes knew about that article too, and ignored it. The people pushing the TANG story didn’t care if Bush volunteered for Vietnam or not. Their conclusions were written first, “evidence” later.

RBMN on August 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Mary Mapes is yet another example of why dumb and ugly is a deadly combination.

bw222 on August 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I linked to this story the other day. For anyone who wonders whether or not our media is a bunch of knee jerk partisan hacks, this story should end the debate.

Bush volunteered.

Terrye on August 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I’m glad you changed your position. Although HotAir is a good source of “not covered by the MSM news” it is not a news site. It is a blog and articles posted for comment can be about anything and every thing. :)

oldernwiser on August 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Here is WHY i WILL NEVER TRUST
ANY OF THE MAIN STREAM NEWS organizations..
THEY ALL LIE..
This isnt an oversight no…
this is Deliberate LYING by the LEFTIST KOOKS
running the news organizaions..
So they can then get THEIR candidate elected..
This is happening all over the country
Hell they even have leftist reporters on video saying
Ohh we lost..

Yea tell me about it…

You LOST the TRUST of the AMERICAN PEOPLE
The only news organization i trust is
FOX NEWS.. and TALK RADIO
and gee guess which one the democrats are trying to shut down..
The same two networks..
I wonder why..

veteranoutrage on August 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM

The other thing I remember about Mape’s buddie Dan Rathner was his “defense of the United States” special. The premise was that we should pull the ‘expensive’ F-14′s off the carriers and replace them with the ‘affordable’ F-5s. His big selling point was that, in addition to the cost savings, you could squeeze a couple of extra F-5s in the hanger and deck.

That convinced me that RATHNER WAS A FLAMING MORON OR WORSE.

For those of you who aren’t rolling on the floor already,

The F-5 carried sidewinders as it’s longest range weapon and had limited radar and all weather capability.

OTOH, the F-14 carried the AWG9 Radar and the Phoenix Missle. The AWG 9 could scan about 24 targets at 100 miles. The Phoenix could reach out about 80 miles at MAch 3. In addition, the F-14s had datalink capabilities to pass info to other aircraft and SAMs.

So, “What’s the frequency Kenneth” Rathner wanted to give up a huge tactical advantage.. Whose side was he on anyway.??

BTW – none of the info he needed to make an informed decision was classified. All you had to do was go to your hobby shop and buy a copy of Detail and Scale for the F14 and F5.

Media buttwipes.

bullseye on August 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Sorry Captain Ed…
This was hardly a secret.
Maybe just from you.

Over at FR
We talked about Palace Guard
Way back in ’04

Haiku Guy on August 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Forgot to mention that the sidewinders at that time had about a 5 mile range or so and weren’t quite so good in all aspect attacks.

bullseye on August 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

rockmom on August 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Excellent post, rockmom. This proves (at least) two things:

1) People like Dan Rather who let their emotions and personal grudges guide their actions end up looking like fools

2) The republicans will never get anywhere “playing nice” with Democrats. GHW Bush’s snarkiness in the Rather interview struck a cord with voters. If I had seen that interview, I would have applauded him. I can’t tell you how many times I yelled and threw the sofa cushions at my TV during the 2008 campaign, every time I saw McCain throwing Nerf balls at Obama, and Obama just slapping him down left and right.

I could have run a better campaign than that, and I have zero political experience.

UltimateBob on August 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I love how this is an issue, but when it came time to see our current presidents (crack pot) birth certificated,it never appeared, the issue was dropped. Well I have a problem that this current president did nothing in his past. He has worked no where and only knows how to vote present. Well present is not a gift out of my pay check any more. I have never hated someone as much as I do this current administration. Its made all the scum surface to the top of the media.

Ashly33 on August 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM

orange on August 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Why does it have to proven that Bush did volunteer. You should prove that he did not volunteer since that is the basis of your argument.

Clinton dodged the draft but Bush has to “prove” that he volunteered?

What the heck is wrong with you?

rukiddingme on August 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

rockmom on August 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Rockmom, you rock!

rukiddingme on August 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Where are the trolls? One would think they would be right on this.:)

a capella on August 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Waiting like good Sheeple for their talking points.

Wade on August 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Just one question, Ed.

Where the heck is Capt. Louis Renault?

connertown on August 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The Rather Affair killed “Allah is in the House.” That’s unforgivable.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Is this really true? AP stopped updating the blog at one point and said something about legal problems, but (although I could be wrong) I thought he tried to assure readers that they were unrelated to this. I don’t recall any mention to the contrary, at least. He temporarily suspended blogging the May prior to the Mapes story, so I figured he might have stopped due to similar “personal stuff.”

calbear on August 27, 2009 at 2:50 PM

No. Sorry. Carry on.

blink on August 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Truth be told, not knowing getalife is something to be cherished.

Cheers,

fogw on August 27, 2009 at 2:53 PM

This is old news. Why Jed Babbin wrote about this waaay back in 2004.

Why are people suddenly paying attention now?

manofaiki on August 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM

fake but inaccurate

29Victor on August 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM

getalife must have meant a lot to you. I’m so sorry that you miss him/her/it so much. That’s very touching.

UltimateBob on August 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM

getalife is in the Hot Air Great Arcana of Trolls because it was resurrected in the June 9, 2009 Registration under the most incredibly clever and deceptive user name. Evah!

g0tmylifeback

but on the third day, June 11, 2009

g0tmylifeback was also banned

which just goes to show

an adult was in charge

Ed Morrissey is a good man

all is well

Loxodonta on August 27, 2009 at 3:14 PM

What the heck is wrong with you?

rukiddingme on August 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

What’s wrong with him is that he’s so full of BDS that he sees it as President Bush’s responsibility to “disprove the actual allegation” against him. BDSers demand American Justice for terrorist but Napoleonic Justice for the Bush Administration, handy, eh?

Here’s an allegation: During his college years, President Obama began a local chapter of the KKK. He used his contacts in the black community to distribute heroin in minority neighborhoods that had been supplied to him by the KGB. And he kidnapped the Lindberg baby.

Those are pretty serious allegations, I hope President Obama has an answer for them.

29Victor on August 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Everyone understood that Bush didn’t want to go into the infantry

…..

Errrrrrr,,,errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I was a doggie. You couldn’t pay me to strap a jet engine to my fanny and get tossed through the air. No siree, bubba!
On the ground I could hide behind rocks, and jump into holes. If need be I could scoot my tail across a ridge and keep scootin’. Them airdales we’re (are) nuts. Anyone who thinks flying a combat aircraft is like being in a holding pattern at O’Hare is nuts too.

Limerick on August 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM

orange on August 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

getalife.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Just one question, Ed.

Where the heck is Capt. Louis Renault?

connertown on August 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Buried in the tiny Red Hill Cemetery here in New Hampshire. He and his wife spent the last years of their lives living in Sandwich.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 3:28 PM

that doesnt disprove the actual allegation against Bush:

orange on August 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Actual allegation? That is a good one.

Look, orangey, some folks don’t put their ‘rack’ on the living room wall to impress their friends and neighbors. Some lay at the bottom of a seldom opened drawer. The owner doesn’t need someone else to validate them for him. How’s that for an ‘allegation’?

Limerick on August 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Orange,

The thing is, there is absolutely no evidence that Bush did not perform his Guard duties. He received an honorable discharge from the Guard.

Thus, the presumption is that he did perform the Guard duties. And, as I said, w/o evidence that he did not perform the Guard duties, the case that he did perform the
Guard duties based on honorable discharge and lack of contradictory evidence, is about 100% proven.

After all, we currently have a president who never served and never even considered serving. I trust that the lefties who told us in 2004 how important military service is as a prerequisite to be President – and that the candidate with the more impressive service should win – voted for McCain?

That whole argument is yet another proof that lefties have no principals, only thirst for power. Else McCain would be president right now based on the left’s 2004 presidential criteria.

Monkeytoe on August 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I recall an anecdote one of Chimpy’s ANG colleagues told-during the time they were off-duty, all of them-except Dubyah-spent their time in the TV lounge watching “Hee Haw”.

At the same time, Chimpy spent his down time reading history books.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Monkeytoe on August 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Don’t confuse orange with facts.

What’s so sad about 2004 is that the only reason Jeanne-Claude Kerri ran on his “military record” was because he had absolutely nothing else to run on-his Senate career has pretty much been a complete failure as far as what legislation he’s gotten passed, etc.

In fact, in over 2 decades in the Senate, he’s had a grand total of about 10 of his bills signed into law. That’s about as impressive as his nonexistent pitching skills at Fenway Park.

“Reporting for Duty!”

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I especially liked the Mrs. Kerry event, held in a Baptist church in the Deep South, where she claimed she knew what it meant to be an African American….because she was African-American. Complete “deer in the headlights” reaction from the crowd.

Turns out, she really is an African-American. Born and raised in South Africa.

She, like her husband, is either completely naieve, or blind.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Limerick on August 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM

People talk a great deal about the Marines on Iwo Jima or the guys on Okinawa. They talk about the Heroism of the Little Boys off of Samar or perhaps the Paratroopers on D-Day in that Great Crusade.

No American combat position in the war history of this country had it worse then the Strategic bomber crews carrying out daylight raids over Nazi occupied Europe. Absolutely no one. Not the Marines, not the Paratroopers, not the tankers, not the Sailors.

Groundpounds, when they die, they die generally whole. They may loose a limb, perhaps even their head. Maybe their guts are hanging out. But aircrew are usually nothing but charred and shattered bone.

Holger on August 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM

The Main Scream Media has adopted the motto of the New York Times:

“All the news that fits, we print”

oldleprechaun on August 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM

She, like her husband, is either completely naieve, or blind.

BobMbx on August 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Compared to him, she’s Einstein.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I wonder if he took the ASVAB?

I would like to see what percentile he fell in.

I doubt it was much above 65.

DSchoen on August 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I had forgotten about operation “Fortunate Son”. Possibly one of the most evil Anti-American disinformation campaigns ever waged in the U.S., right up there with the “Sister Cities” Liberals were claiming in Central America” to lessen Reagan’s effectiveness in Countering Danny Ortega or the No-Nukes Campaigns in Europe.

GunRunner on August 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Friday, December 5, 1997

House Republicans said Thursday that an investigation of military records had turned up no sign that a major Democratic donor who is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, M. Larry Lawrence, served in the Merchant Marine during World War II, as he had long claimed.

Lawrence was among 69 individuals over the last five years who received special waivers to be buried at the cemetery, the nation’s most hallowed military burial ground. Last month, White House and Army officials, citing Lawrence’s wartime record, vigorously defended their decision to allow him to be interred in Arlington.

But Rep. Terry Everett, R-Ala., chairman of the House Veterans Affairs subcommittee on oversight and investigations, said, “We have found that Mr. Lawrence’s name does not appear in at least three locations where a reasonable person would expect it to appear in the records.”

The new questions about Lawrence revived a political drama that had seemed put to rest after Republicans backed off earlier accusations that President Clinton had rewarded rich Democratic donors with burial plots at Arlington. The issue, which has inspired outrage both among those accusing and defending the administration, has been sustained by the congressional inquiry and conservative commentators. The new allegations arose after the conservative columnist Arianna Huffington said that a longtime aide to Lawrence told her she believed his war record was a fabrication. The aide, Norma Nicholls, confirmed her account in an interview.

Thursday’s events raised the possibility of demands that Lawrence’s body be removed from Arlington cemetery. “If that did turn out to be the case, it would be distressing, obviously,” White House spokesman Mike McCurry said.

wow, this was before Zsa Zsa drank the Kool-Aid.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM