Klobuchar hides behind telephone for town-hall meeting

posted at 12:15 pm on August 24, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Just a week ago, I noted what a non-entity Minnesota’s other Senator, Amy Klobuchar, has been in the Senate.  Yesterday, Klobuchar gave a demonstration of why she’s been the Unknown Senator and losing ground in the state during her tenure.  Klobuchar held her one and only session of accountability with her constituents over the phone yesterday evening instead of facing the voters directly.  Not only that, but the teleconference was somewhat difficult to join:

Most of the hourlong conversation, which Klobuchar dubbed a “tele-town hall meeting,” focused on holding down health care costs and making it more affordable for families and small businesses. …

After the session, she said she thought most of the 14 calls she fielded came from “more conservative” people, but rather than taking ideological stands, they were focused on money issues, such as how small businesses can negotiate with insurance companies or consumers can find affordable coverage.

So Klobuchar spent an hour on the phone with constituents and took 14 questions?  Wow.  Now that’s a Profile in Courage!  Klobuchar called the exchanges “civil,” which means “they didn’t disagree with me.”  Indeed, the Pioneer Press noted her reaction:

“What I got out of the call, more than anything,” she said, “is there’s starting to be some general acknowledgment, through all of the bickering and yelling, that we are going to have to do something about costs here, that we have to make it more affordable.”

Interestingly, the larger newspaper in the Twin Cities, the Star Tribune, didn’t provide any reporting on the conference call this morning.  They may have had the same problems that other Minnesotans had, which was that they couldn’t call into the teleconference.  As Power Line notes, calls to the published number went unanswered last night:

I was selected to participate in my humble servant Senator Amy Klobuchar’s tele-townhall. I registered as instructed and received the following email from her office on Thursday: “Thank you for signing up to participate in a discussion on making health care more affordable. You will receive a reminder phone call this Friday, August 21st, and will be automatically called on Sunday, August 23rd at 7:00 PM to be joined to the call.” I was called on Friday to remind me to be on hand at 7:00 Sunday to be connected to the tele-town hall.

I was ready to ask a respectful yet tough question. Imagine my surprise when at precisely 7:00 on Sunday I received a recorded phone call from the Senator herself informing me that at 7:00 that evening she had hosted a discussion on health care with someone from Mayo and the biggest nurse in the land. Gee, she was sorry she missed me, but I can go to her Web site later tonight to hear a recording of it.

Fraters Libertas has a snarky “live blog” of the proceedings:

6:52 PM – The way this forum works is that I signed up online before noon on Friday 8/21 and provided a phone number. Early today, I received a conformation that I would be called to be conferenced in around 7 pm tonight.

7:05 – No call yet. I assume the technical issues make lateness a possibility. I won’t bail for at least half an hour.

7:10 – Could Amy be having a Brett Favre like change of heart? I wonder how her team feels about this? I wonder how Brett Favre feels about this? Here’s the announcement from her web site:

U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar will be hosting a live statewide tele-town hall meeting to discuss making health care more affordable and answer questions from her constituents. Joining her will be Dr. Denis Cortese, CEO of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, and Mary Wakefield, the highest ranking nurse in the federal government.

7:15 – In the link above, it suggests that if you’re not called by 7:10, you should call her office. I did so and received a message that her voice mail is full. She can’t get a town hall meeting started on time, yet she expects us to trust her with our health care?

7:19 – I just got the call. It was a recorded message from Amy. It basically said (not direct quote, but my best shot):

Tonight at 7 pm I hosted a live town hall meeting to discuss health care with Dr. Denis Cortese, CEO of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, and Mary Wakefield, the highest ranking nurse in the federal government. I am sorry that you were unable to join in this discussion. However, I am posting meeting in it’s entirety on my website: klobuchar.senate.gov. Thank you for participating in this important discussion.

As for the nature of the 14 questions Klobuchar took, even the liberal Minnesota Independent isn’t buying the notion that they originated organically from those attendees lucky enough to get the promised call from Klobuchar:

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar promised “I’m not going to be rationing health care” but she rationed out 14 question-asking opportunities among more than 10,000 callers during her tele-town hall on health care reform Sunday. Her staff wouldn’t let the St. Paul Pioneer Press see exactly how the tele-death panels that chose the lucky questioners operated, but you can hear the results for yourself via The UpTake.

In other words, Klobuchar hid behind a telephone, hand-picked the questioners to give the illusion of fairness, and excluded a significant number of people who wanted to hold Klobuchar accountable for her representation of Minnesota in the Senate.  She then pronounced herself and her policy direction vindicated.  It’s easy to do accountability when you can create your own constituency and ignore the rest of the state.  I wonder whether Klobuchar will continue to hide in her bunker for the entirety of her term, or if she will find the courage to venture out in public when she needs cash to run for re-election.

Update: Mitch Berg would like to get confirmation that anyone else was on the line at all.

Comments

So this is a tele-clown hall?

This is why I love teleconferences.

I can read Hot Air while ignoring the inane babble, Klobuchar probably spent her time on the Sesame Street page.

NoDonkey on August 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM

John Kline 2012

IR-MN on August 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Put my Congresswoman, Ann Kirkpatrick D-AZ on that list, too. Her conference call last Tuesday netted over 3,300 concerned citizens.

HockeyTemper on August 24, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Just another dumbass that needs to go away! We got Sherrod Brown here in Ohio and he also needs to go away!

gsherin on August 24, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Was she talking to Sheila Jackson-Lee?

artist on August 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM

In that picture she looks like she just arrived from an explosion at a Minute Maid plant. Just sayin.

Bat Chain Puller on August 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Was she talking to Sheila Jackson-Lee?

artist on August 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I bet Sheila’s on her Fave Five!!!! The others are George Soros, Al Franken, Maude Hurd, and Satan! Yay for Amy!

NathanG on August 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

GoToMeeting.com takes 5 minutes to set up – with almost unlimited bandwidth, if you pay for it.

Glad the difficult “technologies” of today get in the way of a Sen’s responsibility.

Why would anyone call those that signed up – instead of simply having a call in number and pass code for the call at a predetermined time?

Another useless Dem feigning her task.

Odie1941 on August 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I bet Congress is going to be really glad to go back to DC and get away from all these pesky voters/constituents.

Daggett on August 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Bat Chain Puller on August 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Either that, or the actress from “Misery”.

NoDonkey on August 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Amy Klobuchar……..

Seven Percent Solution on August 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Being a Democrat and being stupid go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly, but seriously, even a sea slug has some sort of survival instinct to it. It’s almost like they DON’T want to be reelected. @_@

Orange Doorhinge on August 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

What a great way to control free speech. Following the Diane Rheems NPR model of debate.

“I think this is a bad idea for America and…”]click[ Why thank you caller let’s see what someone else has to say.

“Hi Diane, I believe in Obama because he’s a wonderfulpresidentandIcouldn’tbelievethatwedliveinatime
thatthepressmademythologythatcertainpeoplecouldn’tbecome
presidentwereabletousingthesamepresspropogateanewmythology
thatonlyonemanfromthatmythologycouldobtainthehighestoffice
inthelandespeciallywithsuchpressmythologythatevilnaziswere
outtostophimanywayI’mamemberofhteSEIUandIbelievethatweshould
dowhatJesussaidandpaynotonlyforhealthcareofeverybodyintheUS
buteverybodyintheworldbecauseit’stherightthingtodoandweshould
payforitbyheavytaxesonthemegarichfolkwhoarejustevilrethuglican
nazisanywaysowerejusttakingillgottengainsfromevilpeopleand
doinggoodwithitwhichisreallyagoodthingright?right.thankyoufor
givingmethetimetosaythat.”
Why thank you caller, would you like to add to that?
“ohyesthankyouwellIalsowantedtoexpanduponwhyObamahasn’tbegun
roundinguptheseevilrethuglicansandtheirillgottengainsandputting
themintoprison”

Skywise on August 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I will never understand how douches like her get elected. Wake up America!

farright on August 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

In other words, Klobuchar hid behind a telephone, hand-picked the questioners to give the illusion of fairness, and excluded a significant number of people who wanted to hold Klobuchar accountable for her representation of Minnesota in the Senate. She then pronounced herself and her policy direction vindicated. It’s easy to do accountability when you can create your own constituency and ignore the rest of the state

Other than the telephone bit, how is this different than those sham town halls the filthy liar held? Clare McCaskill has people screaming that they don’t trust her while almost simultaneously the filthy liar is fielding a question about mean signs from the 11-year-old daughter of the head of the Mass. chapter of the Women for Obama PAC.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

My wife tried to get through (I would have smashed the phone to bits so she decided to play the game instead) and sat on the line for 15 minutes before being connected. Then she had to listen to some doctor blabbing how great OgabeScare would be and how awful things are now.

After that my wife was told that any questions she had would be recorded and given to the senator later; as she tried to leave a question the line disconnected.

What an effin joke my senators are, even Arlen Specter is willing to appear in front of a live audience.

Bishop on August 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Typical.

I tell ya tho, I’d kill to see a Franken townhall…a live one

JetBoy on August 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Is today a national holiday for trolls or did they all take off for Martha’s Vineyard with the Chicago Jesus?

Knucklehead on August 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

There should be a recall statute in all 50 states. I think currently only 18 can recall elected officials they don’t like. We don’t have it in TN and are stuck with Lamar Alexander for another 6 years. He might as well join Arlen “the defector” Spector on the the other side of the aisle. He certainly doesn’t listen to what the constituents in this redder than red state want.

tnmama on August 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

We elect these moronic buffoons then wonder why everything is so screwed up. Perhaps the people are learning something from this mess.

rplat on August 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Heck, my congresscritter, the excretory Marcy Kaptur has got most of them beat. No townhalls, no teleconferences, in fact she’s in Poland. Talk about a way to avoid any and all accountability.

rbj on August 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

My rep, Congressman John Tierney (D-MA), is also doing these “innovative” town halls. We get 1 hour, on Aug 31st.

Coward.

NickelAndDime on August 24, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Minn. elected Al Franken, so with those kind of idiot voters why should she be afraid of a live town hall??

HAGGS99 on August 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Knucklehead on August 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

They can’t even manage to interject one of their snotty little brainless one liners.

Maybe even they are figuring out that their agenda isn’t worth a dime bag of beetle snot.

Chainsaw56 on August 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM

According to her staff, our brave and courageous Congressperson, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, has decided to hide behind a telephone instead of in-person town hall. The date for said dog and pony show has yet to be determined because she is just so very, very busy being so very very important.

So please be patient with her.

epluribusunum on August 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Amy Klobuchar……

Seven Percent Solution on August 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Adjusted for political accuracy.

Shy Guy on August 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I hate to say it, but this country can’t depend on Minnesota for Jack S.
Minnesota is like the kooky uncle you see once a year at Thanksgiving, period.
My own humble opinion, of course.

Marcus on August 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM

HAGGS99 on August 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Minn. has a long proud tradition of being moonbats. It was the only state that didn’t go to Reagan in 1984. They elected Jesse Ventura governor and Paul Wellstone was truly as close to an overt socialist you could get prior to the current administration coming in and seizing private industries. By Minn. standards, Franken gives the state gravitas in the Senate.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM

You should encourage to visit abroad and to remain there. Permanently.

That will solve her pesky Town Hall problem.

NoDonkey on August 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Perhaps when Klobuchar runs for re-election, folks will tell her “we’ll call in our votes, you can count on it”.

GarandFan on August 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

In a just world………

……… when Amy Klobuchar needs to dial 911, she will get a recording.

Seven Percent Solution on August 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

My Rep, Patrick Murphy, plans to phone it in this Thursday. He is a joke.

msmveritas on August 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Klobuchar has some strategy there. Her employers are angry at what she’s doing and want to talk to her. Instead, she gives them a big F#%k You and sits on the phone and talking to those who agree with her.

Sounds like someone needs to be fired.

RadClown on August 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM

My representative is holding a live town hall with Howard Dean no less. The announcement has been changed to state that it is open to constituents only which tells me the corrupt bastard has probably already gotten the SEIU to pack the venue and drown out any voices that aren’t for full support of Obama care complete with a single-payer system.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM

In a just world………

……… when Amy Klobuchar needs to dial 911, she will get a recording.

Followed by eight hours waiting in an Obamacare emergency room only to be told that her condition doesn’t merit any sort of treatment beyond the perscription of the red pain pills.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Why does the MN electorate like yellow? Does it have to do with the snow? Is everybody wee wee’d up there?

Mark30339 on August 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM

If these stupid Dems keep this crap up, it is going to be very ugly for them next Fall.

Sporty1946 on August 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I won’t even start about the congressmen and senators from Michigan. The ones with the (D) after their names, which is most of them, are completely, totally, and utterly useless.

I bet they can’t even pick Michigan out on a map, and it has to be one of the easiest states to see, even from the moon.

Spiritk9 on August 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Bishop on August 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

time out there buddy, don’t smear the great name of my senator by useing it in the sane sentance as yours.

big,big sarc/

SHARPTOOTH on August 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I won’t even start about the congressmen and senators from

Spiritk9 on August 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM

And the one’s with an R are equally ineffective with the exception of Pete Hoekstra. Democrats, the UAW, and MEA have killed Michigan.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Since my wife is a support agent for the FBI and I know what calls she’s been taking lately from various State Police…I can’t say that I blame many of these politicians for opting out of public town halls.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

In 2010 on November 2 we hosted a live election as a referendum on health care, cap’n trade, the stimulus, the czars, and card-check with Amy Klobuchar, Senior Senator in Minnesota, and Harry Reid, the highest ranking Senator in the federal government. I am unsorry that either was unable to continue in this discussion afterwards. However, they are each assured of a lobbyist posting and subsequent wealth in its entirety. Thank you for participating in this important discussion.

FIFY, Amy.

Blacksmith on August 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I would say that it should be a wake-up call to the good people of Minnesota.

DuctTapeMyBrain on August 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Perhaps that alone should tell the politicians all they need to know about the mood of the country if they go ahead with this bad bill. Nevertheless, I do blame them for opting out unless there is a credible threat that can’t be handled with decent security. This is too important an issue for them to ignore the constituents just because they don’t want to be yelled at. It should cost many of them their jobs come 2010.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I will never understand how douches like her get elected. Wake up America!

farright on August 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

It’s Minneeesota where they elected Jesse The Bopdy Ventura Governor and Al Franken Senator. What else do you need to know?
I think my neighbors to the north have frozen their freaking brains, or the gigantic swarms of mosquitos have sucked so much blood from them they can’t think straight.

dhunter on August 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Between this idiot and Al Franken, you have to wonder what’s in the water in Minnesota. Why ANYONE would elect EITHER of them to even the post of dogcatcher is beyond me.

Minnesota is another state that shouldn’t be allowed to vote until their citizens get an education, joining California, New York, Maine, Illinois, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Oh, and Vermont. Anyone that would elect Howard Dean to do ANYTHING is off my list forever.

bradley11 on August 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM

tnmama on August 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Honestly, why didn’t someone better oppose that man? This is Tennessee for Pete’s sake. I moved here for a reason and it was to get away from people like Alexander. >.<

pannw on August 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Sorry, but the mood of the country is not threats of death.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

elected democrats are placeholders to vote the right way when needed, no more no less.

rob verdi on August 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

thatthepressmademythologythatcertainpeoplecouldn’tbecome
presidentwereabletousingthesamepresspropogateanewmythology
thatonlyonemanfromthatmythologycouldobtainthehighestoffice
inthelandespeciallywithsuchpressmythologythatevilnaziswere
outtostophimanywayI’mamemberofhteSEIUandIbelievethatweshould
dowhatJesussaidandpaynotonlyforhealthcareofeverybodyintheUS
buteverybodyintheworldbecauseit’stherightthingtodoandweshould
payforitbyheavytaxesonthemegarichfolkwhoarejustevilrethuglican
nazisanywaysowerejusttakingillgottengainsfromevilpeopleand
doinggoodwithitwhichisreallyagoodthingright?right.thankyoufor
givingmethetimetosaythat.”
Why thank you caller, would you like to add to that?
“ohyesthankyouwellIalsowantedtoexpanduponwhyObamahasn’tbegun
roundinguptheseevilrethuglicansandtheirillgottengainsandputting
themintoprison”

Skywise on August 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Ugh! Diane’s voice is like nails on a chalkboard!

Esmerelda on August 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Another useless Dem feigning her task.

Odie1941 on August 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I see a new catch-phrase here, Odie;

Combining their contempt for the requirement to meet with their constituency, with their sheer cowardice:

they’re feigning it in!

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Wait, Ed…you’re not saying it out loud, are you? That Al Franken is the better Minnesota senator? I need to sit down. Deeeep breaths.

Doug on August 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

dhunter on August 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Could it be the lutefisk?

Esmerelda on August 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

It’s a job they wanted. It carries a known risk. They sought it anyway.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

My Rep Chet Edwards (D-TX) had a 2hr phone call. Is now having 3 Town Halls.

Format

Questions for the town hall will be selected at random by an independent third party in a lottery system. District 17 Constituents who want to ask questions will fill out cards as they come in, and they will be called on randomly to ask their question. No printed signs, electronic or recording devices will be permitted.

Gee, I wonder why.

derft on August 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Sorry, but the mood of the country is not threats of death.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

All death threats should be reported, documented, and investigated.

No excuses.

That doesn’t mean “don’t meet with your constituents.” It means do so in a way that still keeps you safe, but do it.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Esmerelda on August 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Whatever it is I certainly hope it doesn’t move south. We have enough of our own stupeedos, we just try to keep them in the eastern half of the state!

dhunter on August 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Format

Gee, I wonder why.

derft on August 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I’d love to know who the independent third party is.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM

the reverse effects of the politics of fear.

booter on August 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I’d love to know who the independent third party is.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM

My guess is ACORN or SEIU.

derft on August 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM

All death threats should be reported, documented, and investigated.

No excuses.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM

A telephone seems like a safe way to do it.

You couldn’t pay me enough to bother risking my life in the current environment. My wife takes these call every day and these are mostly people with no criminal record who are standing in line with us at the grocery store checkouts.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Sorry, but the mood of the country is not threats of death.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

No the mood of the country is extreme anger toward government. I thought that was clear. Any moron who is making death threats needs to be investigated and/or prosecuted. Nevertheless politicians can’t use it as an excuse not to meet with their constituents. Not only is that cowardly, it is reprehensible that they would not listen to the concerns of those they represent.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Again, an indicator of just how angry the nation is that people who have never been this angry are making comments. Still not an excuse to hide on the other end of a telephone. Judges, lawyers, and other professionals in contentious cases face the same threat as a daily part of their jobs and they can’t phone it in.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I really could care less what they do or how they do it. All I’m saying is that I know why they are doing it and I can’t blame them. It’s a shame that some people resort to threats of violence when they don’t get their way.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

How about some condemnation for having conference calls that are stacked with supporters of the bill? If they are afraid for their safety why not have an honest online townhall or conference call?

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Not nearly as shameful as elected officials refusing to meet with their constituents. Again, a judge hearing a case against a drug cartel is at risk. Social Services workers taking children out of homes are put at risk. Congressmen refusing to listen to the public because mean things are being said and a few idiots are making threats is not a valid excuse and I don’t understand why you or any citizen is defending the practice.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM

My Rep Chet Edwards (D-TX) had a 2hr phone call. Is now having 3 Town Halls.

Format

Gee, I wonder why.

derft on August 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Chet Edwards seems to be caught between working for his conservative constituents and pandering to the left these days. I remember visiting his website last year and I was amazed by how much left-wing bullcrap he had on his website. He’s nothing more than a typical politician.

NathanG on August 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Sounds like a typical politician of any party to me. *shrug*

I’m not condemning anyone since I recently stopped giving a crap.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:26 PM

NathanG on August 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Chet Edwards was Nancy Pelosi’s choice for Veep.

derft on August 24, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I’m not condemning anyone since I recently stopped giving a crap.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:26 PM

If that’s the case, then why bother contributing to the discussion at all?

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:31 PM

NathanG on August 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I gotta think Texas is one of those places where there are many skittish Democrats in Congress. Not so much idiots like Jackson-Lee but those whose constituencies are pretty riled up over what is going on in DC.

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Gee, Minnesota, all those things you professed not to like about Mark Kennedy seem kinda stupid now, don’t they?

Red Cloud on August 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM

If that’s the case, then why bother contributing to the discussion at all?

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Because I have knowledge about why these people are hiding in fear of loons?

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Because I have knowledge about why these people are hiding in fear of loons?

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

And you felt it was your duty to tell us? Thanks ever so much. Is there anything else you’d like to tell us?

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Red Cloud on August 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM

At least “Brave Sir Robin” Kennedy was open about the fact that he was a coward.

teke184 on August 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us?

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Yes, I stubbed my toe this morning and possibly fractured it. It hurts. :(

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Yes, I stubbed my toe this morning and possibly fractured it. It hurts. :(

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

You are ray of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy world.

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM

You are ray of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy world.

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM

lol I’m having a bad day, my friend. Sorry for my sarcasm today.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM

highhopes on August 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Yep. Chet Edwards had better tread lightly or he will be out in 2010. That’s just one more seat Republicans could pick up.

NathanG on August 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM

lol I’m having a bad day, my friend. Sorry for my sarcasm today.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I think you mean cynicism. No apology necessary, for my part.

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM

As a resident of Minnesota I can tell you that I did not participate in the “Tele-Hall Meetng” because I like other fellow Minnesotans did not know about this meeting at all. I am not a democrat or a republican just a conservative that believes our elected officials, like Sen. Klobuchar, should be accountable to us and be available for questions. I wonder if that was why I did not receive any word about the meeting. Of course this sort of action from Sen. Klobuchar is nothing new I set an e-mail to my Representative Jim Oberstar telling him I did not want him to vote for the porkulus bill. I received a campaign style and content e-mail from him telling me I was listening to those bad conservative types that were distorting the truth. He did not even have the curtesy to address my objects he just gave a general over-view of why he wanted to vote for it and did not really care what I thought.

The actions of Sen. Klobuchar and Rep. Oberstar plus the addition of Sen. Franken have caused a serious turn around here in the “Land of Ten Thousand Lakes.” We conservatives now hold 50% of the vote at rpesent and if our elected official’s actions continue as they are now we will be seeing a change we can believe in toward a conservative government in Minnesota. Understand we are not a guidable people up here believing that life is and will be a bowl cherries from here on. We have seen this change happen very slowly and we have witnessed a number of setbacks, e.g. Sen. Franken. However, we are gaining in numbers so be prepared to see a change in the “land of Sky Blue Waters.”

rsbarc011 on August 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I think you mean cynicism. No apology necessary, for my part.

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I did mean cynicism…thank you. I think I’ll ask my wife not to bring home her stories of doom and gloom for a while. I need a break.

beekiller on August 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Yep. Got the email invitation to register for the teletubby talk w/ Klobuchar. I didn’t even bother – knew it would be a joke like this. I just don’t get it. I don’t know hardly anyone here who is liberal or who likes Captain Panda Suit. I guess that’s what you get when your friends have jobs that consist of tasks other than manning the Fryolator.

metric on August 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Senators Frau KloBuchar and Franken-stein
It’s just one big Mel Brook’s movie here in Minnesota. Only thing we’re missing is Algore!!

chickasaw42 on August 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Here’s what I really don’t get.It seems like nobody except union goons and illegals wants this plan.Ir seems like everyone is against Obama. Yet he won the election. I’m just wondering how many IDIOTS vote for him, and Democrats in general and NOW finally wake up to see the mess they put us in.

Jeff from WI on August 24, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I’m not following the reason behind having any more town halls at all; if these asshats in DC haven’t figured out that this great health care/insurance overhaul idea of theirs is really getting people wee-weed up by now, they never will. And, quite frankly, the “keep your doctor, keep your insurance, no death panel” mantra is worthless…and that’s all you’re getting from them, whether it be in person, over the phone, or via spammed-and-paid-for-by-taxpayer email.

They’re just confirming their total stupidity to the public at this point, and their uselessness to the American people.

HAnthonyWayne on August 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM

And I though Mark Dayton redefined “worthless”…

Kudos to Amy…. “The Busty One”

paragon27x on August 24, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Coward.

NickelAndDime on August 24, 2009 at 12:35 PM

We share a congressweenie.
His opponent, Bill Hudak, may be having another rally to invite Tierney to talk to his constituents. The first one drew 500 people.

Nice to see a solid (R) opponent, for a change.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 6:44 PM

jakabok_botch on August 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Here’s a thought.
Go to your local cable news network.
Get an hour of time, in a call in format.
Not screened, not taped, just a tape delay, and someone with their finger on the mute button.

massrighty on August 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM

teke184 on August 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Brave Sir Robin was Mark Dayton, the fool democrat that Klobuchar replaced. Mark Kennedy was the conservative Republican that lost to Klobuchar in the 2006 election. The silver lining: His move from the US House made room for Michelle Bachmann.

2ipa on August 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I was invited to this meeting. It went down just like I thought it would when I saw it was a tele-town meeting. I love how Sen. Amy provided me with the info that it was so more people could participate before I jumped to the conlcusions she was ducking a live forum where this stuffed doll would never keep up a positive image of herself.

She hasn’t faced a real challange in her political life that I have seen. To bad here in “Minnesota Nice ” we don’t get at least one shot at this waste of a Senate seat. Daddy was a big newsman (who drank to much and forgot her at Christmas)is all I can see she has going for her. How about we elect a Senator with Talent like Al Franken to represent us…..ohhh never mind I guess she IS the good one. How sad.

Conan on August 24, 2009 at 7:32 PM

What’s wrong with Minnesota? Klobuchar, Franken, Elison………

TopLawyer on August 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM

teke184 on August 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM

2ipa on August 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I thought he was referring to Ol’ Water-Wings.

Blacksmith on August 24, 2009 at 9:33 PM

What’s wrong with Minnesota? Klobuchar, Franken, Elison………

Urban areas of Mpls/St. Paul are liberal and the dems take advantage of the poor that vote there. A lot of good folks have moved to the burbs or elsewhere. Klobuchar just sits and waits for a crisis to capitalize on.

Alfresco on August 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

“U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar took the national health care debate to the phone lines Sunday night, talking with more than 10,000 Minnesotans about reforming the current system.”

Talking with 14 people. Talking AT 10,000.

Kevin M on August 25, 2009 at 4:19 AM

You don’t need to be
“Invited” to vote her out.
Just remember this.

The “Tele-Townhall”
Is the most transparent dodge,
I have ever seen.