Obama: This irresponsible talk of “death panels” offends me

posted at 2:00 pm on August 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

I can’t decide which part I like best. The ode to “vigorous debate” from a guy who wanted a bill rammed through Congress before the recess? The tut-tutting about divisive rhetoric from the leader of a party that’s spent the past month demagoguing its opponents as evil-mongering political terrorists? Or the demand from Captain Deficit that we stop putting off until tomorrow the big problems that need solving today?

Actually, this part’s my favorite. From the man who famously told the AFL-CIO in 2003 that he was a big proponent of single-payer:

We’ve all heard the charge that reform will somehow bring about a government takeover of health care. I know that sounds scary to many folks. It sounds scary to me, too. But here’s the thing: it’s not true. I no sooner want government to get between you and your doctor than I want insurance companies to make arbitrary decisions about what medical care is best for you, as they do today. As I’ve said from the beginning, under the reform we seek, if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your private health insurance plan, you can keep your plan. Period.

Totally true. And if that private plan you like so much ends up going under because it can’t compete with Uncle Sam’s bottomless pit of taxpayer funding, hey. Exit question: Does he really think running through the same stale talking points week after week is finally going to change the public’s attitude about this? As Fred Barnes notes, this day-in day-out garbage about keeping your plan, etc, has practically devolved into shtick at this point. It’s almost as if he can’t quite believe people might disagree with him, and that if only he keeps repeating himself, eventually his shining logic will seep into their brains. Hmmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Nobody is presently smacking me across the bridge of the nose with a crowbar.

Thus, if somebody were to start doing so, it would be “change.”

Obama assumes “change” is good, and that we should welcome it.

Some things are fine as-is. Like the bridge of my nose. And health care.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on August 23, 2009 at 2:15 PM

love it that when you google: Narcissistic Personality Disorder, a result for Obama YT video comes up on the first page. I’m trying to achieve the same result with googling “douchebag.”

Michelle Dubois on August 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

googled it. lol

JellyToast on August 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Michelle Dubois on August 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

MD…were you a psych TA too?

Geezer on August 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I dont think its possible for me to have any deeper disdain for this meatsack

Viper1 on August 23, 2009 at 3:30 PM

What really irks me is that less than %.05 of our country voted for Pelosi…WTF is up with that??

KZnextzone on August 23, 2009 at 3:39 PM

The jig is up, Dumbo. No one buys your lies.

marklmail on August 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Will this be on the test? Cause I ain’t got tme for it unless it’s on the test.

Akzed on August 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Obama: This irresponsible talk of “death panels” offends me

Someone who voted against the Induced Infant Liability Act of 2002,which would have protected babies that survived late-term abortions, and against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, is offended by talk of death panels?!?!?

Pardon me while I say, BFD!

ToddonCapeCod on August 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Didn’t someone also say they didn’t want to be in the car business?

whig33 on August 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Offends? OFFENDS?

I’m offended by the fact that a complete imbecile, with the job experience of a 13 yr old is even in the position to make a statement in a national address – much less be the most powerful man in the free world.

OFFEND? You offend me you fraud. You and your ilk of marxist hacks who think they are entitled to conducting socio-economical labotomies on those of us who actually ARE running private enterprises. Some of us have real-world experience Barry. We’ve built companies from NOTHING, contributed to this country’s prosperity, and hold nothing but disdain for the hacks who think they know better than us. You and your gang of bandits offend our core beliefs every time you speak, gather, or deposit your government paychecks.

You and your supporters make us sick with the narcissitic rhetoric you spew. You insult our intelligence and our accomplishments with your constant lying. In short, you offend those of us who are actually qualifiedto be offended – and we don’t count you, Nancy, Harry, or any other leech in our present company.

/RantOff

NumberTwo on August 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM

The money line in that video is

“we may not get there immediately.”

That single comment stains all of Obama’s word today and it is proof that he is entirely disingenuous.

drjohn on August 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Something as important as our ‘lives’ being handled so carelessly is unacceptable. Soeone get this idiot out of that WhiteHouse before he starts another friggin Civil War to have to put back all the rights he’s trying to remove.

johnnyU on August 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Possible bumper sticker:

Death Panels? Over my dead body!

Sweet_Thang on August 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Speaking of offensive, I was kindda under the impression that TOTUS will be on Ramadan break and leave us alone. But here he is offending us again

macncheez on August 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM

It has never been easy, moving this nation forward. There are always those who oppose it, and those who use fear to block change.

Let’s not forget those who use fear to precipitate change.

applebutter on August 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM

We MUST stop this evil tyrant! OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!

marklmail on August 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM

NumberTwo on August 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Everything you said.

I can’t watch the video.

This man’s voice makes me ill and that’s not a good thing when he’s ‘remaking America’s’ health system.

MalindaH on August 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Oh yeah? Your talk of putting my grandma on pain killers, rather than a medical procedure that would ease her ailment REALLY offended me, Mr. President.

argos on August 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Just watched the video…

Yeesh, if the Shiny One is good at anything, it is whining. I never heard a man whine like that before because some ‘big bully’ is offending him. Grow up.

On a more serious note, Obama is definatly sounding more like the old early 20th Century Progressives every time he speaks. The Progressives loved to talk about the suppression of individualism for the ‘good of the community’ for the sake of ‘moving the nation forward together. Read any major Progressive’s writings from the Wilson era and the period following to see what I mean. The war on American individuality and spirit does not seemed to have died.

Shogun144 on August 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Ya’ll remember Jim Jones? The plan was that everyone gave their money to the “church” only he was a communist so the “church” was really his form of government and in return they all got free health care and lodgings and probably gas for their cars, etc. Back then – back in the day – even the freaks in San Francisco would not tolerate a communist commune there so he took his crew to Ghana. When the party looked like it was going to be crashed down there by the US Govt he gave every man woman and child cyanide laced koolaid. They forced the children to drink it first and then the adults. Nearly 900 people commited mass suicide. So whenever someone tells me that all I have to do is pay my money to the government and that the government will take care of me I tell them that true story. You put your faith in anyone or anything but yourself, the ones you love and god and you might as well be dead.

Of course we want to help our fellow man, but not at the cost of our own lives and our children’s freedom. There has GOT to be a way to reach these idiots. They are face deep in a vat of koolaid.

BrideOfRove on August 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Well, u offend me, so what

foxone on August 23, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I “get to” keep something that already belongs to me?…

ocbrat on August 23, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I keep reading liberal responses to this video.

We really need to implement school vouchers. Our education system is clearly failing. More importantly though, I don’t want my kids someday having this sort of ignorance contaminating them.

jhffmn on August 24, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Subtle play of the race card. Deftly done.

Think about how you hear this – quite innocuous platitude, right?

Now think of how certain aggrieved minorities hear these words. Guess what, you are the ones who have “always opposed” change. Practically paints a caricature of you buying slaves at market. Right to your face.

Don’t underestimate this man, please. He’s not very intelligent, but he is cunning.

Lex on August 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Didn’t someone also say they didn’t want to be in the car business?

whig33 on August 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

He prefers the Czar business.

Geochelone on August 24, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Barry plans to repeal the law of supply and demand and magically show us how to give coverage to “47 million Americans*” without increasing costs** or rationing***…..

it’s tough being a me$$iah.

*of whom 10-15 million are Mexicans

** in fact claiming it will reduce costs

*** and indeed claims there will be more care without messy rationing and keeping the Tonsil Thieves and Foot Rustlers at bay

sven10077 on August 24, 2009 at 6:02 AM

You know…I didn’t agree with everything GWB did, but at least he was a Man about stuff. He didn’t whine and cry about everything.

This girly man is a real “c word”.

LtE126 on August 24, 2009 at 7:46 AM

I feel that finally…FINALLY, this crybaby race shit is going to backfire.

It’s about time.

The country is at best 12% black, he gets elected…and he still thinks “white America” hates him.

LtE126 on August 24, 2009 at 7:50 AM

keep telling a lie long enough and eventually everyone will believe it.

redfred on August 24, 2009 at 8:04 AM

keep telling a lie long enough and eventually everyone will believe it.

redfred on August 24, 2009 at 8:04 AM

you mean like Axelturf saying 14,000 a day are losing their insurance?

sven10077 on August 24, 2009 at 8:13 AM

So, Barry Sotero AKA B. Hussein Obama is offended. He offends America and I’m supposed to care that he lies to us and it’s proven. I don’t care one bit that he’s offended and I hope he gets more offended. They’re thinking of what they call the nuclear option to shove his ” health care ” down our throats despite the majority having read the bill, unlike him or congress, that offends me. I doubt he cares that I’m offended, along with every thinking American. That fraud can shove it.

pitter43 on August 24, 2009 at 9:07 AM

No “cost of living” increase for Social Security next year?
I would not be surprised to see Obama try to phase out Social Security and Medicare because they are too expensive!

Cybergeezer on August 24, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Is this man a broken record or what? Nobody is buying your propaganda,B.O.

la.rt.wngr on August 24, 2009 at 9:27 AM

ooo he’s offended by his own doing. Everyone be afraid of your government. Live in fear people. Come on its the only American thing to do. Screw you B.O.! I love my country and want it to love me back. Its circular. Here we go round and round. Get IT!

johnnyU on August 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

We can’t even get a break from Obama this, Obama that just for a short week. It isn’t too much to ask for, is it?

/Can Biden in charge be any worse?

Sir Napsalot on August 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Death panels to death books:

debg on August 24, 2009 at 10:39 AM

No “cost of living” increase for Social Security next year?
=============================================
I just checked. It’s no raise for social security for the next TWO years. No doubt congress will get a raise every year. The people that depend on social security to live get no raise in spite of everything going up and congressmen that have millions getting a raise.

pitter43 on August 24, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Geezer on August 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Its still in HR3200, Geezer. As is my new term, Political Triage.

Bozo isn’t moving the country forward he has absolutely no idea about how to ignite either and industrial or cultural renaissance. Hell he probably cant even grasp what those phrases actually mean, except in some vague abstract sense.

A person capable of THAT, would not require a teleprompter to speak.

dogsoldier on August 24, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Actually my term isnt in there, just the machinations to effect it…

dogsoldier on August 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Obamacare is on dying ground, as Sun Tzu put it. There are at least two columns put out encouraging supporters to fight and get the public option done.

When you will survive if you fight quickly and perish if you do not, this is called dying ground. –Sun Tzu

This is where we find Obama this week. He is surrounded on all sides, there are no new converts to his program. We are observing him from the hillsides and launching withering attacks from every conceivable angle upon his agenda. We own the high ground and he finds himself trying to fight uphill. We can use a single defender to continue to hem him in. This is why Sarah Palin’s facebook strikes have seen so much success, Obama is on defense and his agenda cannot survive. For it would be against the axioms of conflict for it to do so. As noted in the two articles linked above, his soldiers are telling their general that they must fight.

These columnists are telling Obama, that they must fight. However, the opposition to Obamacare finds success in the following:

…the soldiers are alert without being drilled, are friendly without treaties, enlist without being drafted and are trustworthy without commands—Sun Tzu

Obama owns nor understands the precarious situation he finds himself in. He recently lamented about and recalled the events of Aug/Sep 2008 when someone stated that “obama has lost his mojo.” If he bears repeating it, then it is likely to have already happened.

Obama is guilty of trying to get lightning to strike twice, and to hit the lottery the second time around.

A famous guy on a movie once said to a guy like obama, “You have to ask yourself one question—Do I feel lucky?”

Well, do you….punk?

ted c on August 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Best Quote on this thus far

“When the leader of the free world is complaining about a posting on the former governor of Alaska’s Facebook page, he’s got problems.” ~ The thrill is gone for Obama and the media
By: Chris Stirewalt

BrideOfRove on August 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I have never heard so much whining that didn’t involve a juice box or Teddy Grahms.

DrAllecon on August 24, 2009 at 11:43 AM

If he agrees that if anything he said in this address is proved to be false that he would resign, the bill would be reveresed and the gov’t would allow a Republican to take over the White House, I’d give it to him

allstonian on August 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Obama’s blocking change is a patriot’s defending liberty.

Impeach the King.

Hening on August 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

You know, I was thinking about this, when he ‘lost his mojo’ last time, it was really about Sarah Palin stealing it. She annihilated him and the entire liberal philosophy in that historic speech.

He got his mojo back when the entire engine of liberalism turned it’s machine of death and destruction upon her and crushed her like a bug, whilst that spineless weasel McCain tossed her under the bus.

His mojo-problem this time seems to be that the engine of liberalism has sugar in it or something. Its’ stalling out. The newspapers aren’t quite so in love with him anymore, the ‘mystery’ of Obama has no depth,it has become more Hardy Boys than Sherlock Holmes, and even his most ardent supporters aren’t quite sure what the heck he is doing.

The ‘lightning in the bottle’ he caught last August has far less to do with anything he did, than it does the nature of the political machine he is a part of. Last August, it had the playbook ready, and the focal point clear in the mind of every player. Time time, he’s all over the place on a bunch of issues and all his messages are becoming more refracted.

I’m not sure he can get his ‘mojo’ back.

WashingtonsWake on August 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I’m not sure he can get his ‘mojo’ back.

WashingtonsWake on August 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I’ve been thinking this as well. I vaguely recall last spring when Hillary started knocking Obama off his mojo and that was about the same time he got a teleprompter fixed to each hip–a habit he’s never seemed to break. The likely reason, you ask–it’s probably because the “message” or the “mojo” is so focus-grouped and contrived that it has to go through the axelrod/emanuel filter and produced via the teleprompter and simply using Obama as the pipe organ to deliver it. At his core, obama is valueless individual nearly devoid of character outside his immediate sphere of influence. He loves his family–but is a man who is woefully out of his element and has no business in the care of others. He has no business either inflicting pain, nor attempting to alleviate it–for he lacks the values of kindness and caring. He is devolving the office of the President, however, I have faith it shall recover, it is a large office merely occupied by a small man.

ted c on August 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Hmmm…Let me get this straight. Obama’s health care plan will be written by a committee whose head says he doesn’t understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn’t read it, signed by a president that talks without facts and who smokes, funded by a treasury chief who did not pay his taxes, overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that is nearly broke. What could possibly go wrong?

Bevan on August 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Obama has not endorsed HR 3200, so he has no plan. He is talking like a Schizophrenic when he says, “My plan does not contain “X”, because he has no plan. He sees dead people.

GunRunner on August 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Awwwwwwww. the most pro-abortion one around is “offended”

Waah Waah WAahhWAaahhh—

go away

ted c on August 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

one question… IS IT IN YOUR HEALTH PLAN?

rjoco1 on August 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM

My 2 year old has fewer tantrums than this president.

Scrappy on August 24, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Every time I see some j*ck*ss still dumb enough to be walking around with an Obama 08 sticker, button, etc., I make sure to go up and thank them for the “change” and tell them I “hope” they’ll use their brains the next time they walk into a voting booth.

HadithHarry on August 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Obama: This irresponsible talk of “death panels” offends me
Well isn’t that special.

Using “plants” offends me.

Here’s another one that “appears” to be a possible “plant”. This guy’s letter was so over the top praise of German health care it JDLR (Just Doesn’t Look Right)

Its also been “Re-posted” just about everywhere.
“Re-post of response to Obama’s Op-Ed piece:
As a US citizen, a medical doctor currently living in Germany, a country where health care is universally available for its residents at affordable rates, I might have some perspectives on this debate you haven’t yet run across”…………………

“How does our US health care system compare? Let’s go through some important points in the universal health care system in Germany, which I’m very familiar with:
Here in Germany you are mandated to have standard comprehensive health insurance:
your employer pays half the monthly family premium, you pay the other half,

•you don’t get rejected because of any previous condition,

•you don’t pay more or less working for a large or small business,

•you don’t pay more or less if you are male or female, black or white, German or foreign born, gay or straight,……………………………………………………………………………………………………

•nor will you ever go bankrupt due to unpaid and unaffordable medical bills piling up, – that simply doesn’t happen – you enjoy completely comprehensive coverage.

•Also, forget expensive copays ($40/year max. for doctor visits @$10 per quarter, a few dollars per prescription, a minimal meals expense during a hospital stay.

•Forget too the denials, the constant slog of endless 0800 calls (yours and your doctor’s) to your insurance company for requests for coverage or adjustments, wasting huge amounts of people’s time, energy, and productive capacity every business day – this doesn’t happen in Germany, because this is a comprehensive coverage system (which is an important reason why it’s so efficient).

Dr. med. Frederick B. Lacey Jr.
Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Over the top, hard to check, it’s Germany, so I googled his name + Obama and whada ya know bingo!

I wonder if this Frederick B. Lacey Jr is the same Frederick B. Lacey Jr

Frederick B Jr Lacey, Associate, Cvs Pharmacy $1,000 to Barack Obama, Obama For America on April 23, 2008

Lacey, Jr, Frederick B , FL 34145 CVS $100 2009-01-01

Lacey, Frederick B Dr Jr , FL 34145CVS Pharmacy/Associate $250 10/30/2008 P OBAMA VICTORY FUND – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick B Dr Jr , FL 34145 CVS Pharmacy/Associate $250 10/14/2008 P OBAMA VICTORY FUND – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick B Dr Jr , FL 34145 CVS Pharmacy/Associate $300 10/08/2008 P OBAMA VICTORY FUND – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick Jr , FL 34145 CVS/Associate $1,000 09/30/2008 P OBAMA VICTORY FUND – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick Jr , FL 34145 CVS/Associate $450 09/18/2008 P OBAMA VICTORY FUND – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick Jr , FL 34145 CVS/Associate $250 09/10/2008 P OBAMA VICTORY FUND – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick Jr , FL 34145 CVS/Associate $500 08/29/2008 G OBAMA FOR AMERICA – Democrat

Lacey, Frederick B Jr , FL 34145 CVS Pharmacy/Associate $1,000 04/23/2008 P OBAMA FOR AMERICA – Democrat

There’s more donations but it just got tedious listing them all cuz I couldn’t figure out when they would end.

DSchoen on August 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Don’t offend “The Maggot In Chief!”

Griz on August 24, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Allah
I read you alot and appreciated this insight as well as the crafting of the piece.

seesalrun on August 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Obama: This irresponsible talk of “death panels” offends me

No, Obama, the irresponsible talk of “death panels,” which is in fact enshrined in HR3200, offends US!!!

If you want the talk to stop, get HR3200 amended to take out the many provisions for government dictators defining what health care we may have access to. Otherwise, quit lying to us.

You and your ilk are endangering American lives!!! You are not keeping your promise to “preserve, protect, and defend” the Constitution of the United States.

landlines on August 25, 2009 at 1:32 AM

“It’s almost as if he can’t quite believe people might disagree with him, and that if only he keeps repeating himself, eventually his shining logic will seep into their brains”

Don’t worry. By the time The People realy wake up to the propoganda, The Civilian Defence Corps with as much manpower and funding as the DOD will be in place, to encourage The People.

davod on August 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

PS:

Don’t disrespect Obama. GM and Chrysler are planning on building longer buses.

davod on August 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

So which bill is he talking about? The only bill voted on is nothing like what he is talking about.

It reminds me of the old Pink Panther movies… He asks a man next to a dog, “Does your dog bite?” The man replies no. Clouseau reaches down to pet the dog and gets bit and says, “I thought you said your dog does not bite!”. The man replies, that’s not my dog…

Obama can say what is in “his” plan all day, but no one has seen it and he cannot writes bills because he is no longer a legislator.

jeffn21 on August 25, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Boo freakin hoo.

The people have seen through the facade; the mask has dropped, and all he can do is pitch a fit.

Cry me a river.

hillbillyjim on August 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

It is amazing how snake oil salesmen can lie to your face and show no emotion that show their deceit.

MSGTAS on August 25, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Your arrogance offends ME Barry.

Jason58 on August 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM

You know, Dear Leader is actually saying that Sarah Palin offends him.

I think he is telling his goons to go after her for the death panels, and they are now posting anti Palin ads in Facebook.

Anyone want to bet that somehow Sarah will lose her Facebook account?

atheling on August 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM

You know, Dear Leader is actually saying that Sarah Palin offends him.

Anyone want to bet that somehow Sarah will lose her Facebook account?

atheling on August 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Sarah Palin is the extra-strength roll-on the nation needs to rid itself of B.O.!!!

landlines on August 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM

landlines on August 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Just too SUPERB!

Cybergeezer on August 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Doctors ready to ‘just say no’
Majority won’t accept new patients under government plan

President Obama has said over and over that if you like your doctor you’ll be able to keep your doctor. This is patently false. If a physician opts not to sign on to a government-run option, and the government-run plan is what you’re stuck with, you will lose your doctor. It’s as simple and as terrible as that.

izoneguy on August 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Whiner in Chief… dirty filthy liar and scumbag.

highninside on August 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I wish a reporter would ask him this question, “Mister President, in regards to a one payer system, are you a liar or did you just recently change your mind that it would be a bad idea?

LordJack on August 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM

This irresponsible president offends me. Daily. Hourly. Everytime he opens his pie hole. They’ve elected an egotistical moron.

Griz on August 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Poora wittle boo boo. Him aw mad n stuff.

Anyone remember the Monty Python skit where they squish people between their fingers? Me, watching boo boo.

Yellowdog12 on August 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Your smug self-important mug offends me.

PaddyJ on August 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM

The Heritage Foundation has come up with; “The public national debt–$5.8 trillion as of 2008–is projected to double by 2012 and nearly triple by 2019. Thus, America would accumulate more government debt under President Obama than under every President in American history from George Washington to George W. Bush combined.”
Could this be offensive to any one?

Cybergeezer on August 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Odd that the Senate can remove the death panels from the bill and Chancellor Obama can deny they were ever in there. Taquia. As a muslim president Osama can lie to the kuffar.

Jerricho68 on August 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM