Steele to Obama: Quit blaming us and pass the bill, champ — if you dare

posted at 5:10 pm on August 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Up or down, baby, like the man says. Does The One dare? If this drags into October, I think they will go it alone and even pursue reconciliation if need be to cut loose the Blue Dog holdouts in the Senate. At the end of the day, they have to pass something; they’ve invested too much political capital to walk away with zilch. Until then, Obama will keep Republicans in the picture so that he has someone to scapegoat, Alinsky-style, for why negotiations are taking so long. Steele’s point, though, isn’t that the Dems lack the balls to go nuclear, it’s to underscore the fact that they might have to go nuclear at all to pass this clusterfark. The myth of Hopenchange holds that America underwent a great transformational progressive realignment last November — and yet here’s Bob Gibbs tacitly conceding that passing universal health care might mean electoral doom for Obama. How’d that happen, wonders Jonah Goldberg:

1) Doesn’t this seem like a tacit concession that healthcare would in fact be “Obama’s Waterloo” after all?…

3) How can he have a mandate for change if enacting it is so unpopular? Why is it so unpopular if he ran on this agenda? Is it all the fault of those racist, fascist, Brooks Brothers suit wearing huns?

4) I’m sure we will hear a great deal about how this proves what a great leader Obama is (and if I were a liberal I might even agree!). But when Bush defied the polls, it was proof he was “out of touch” and in denial.

Exit question: If the lefty answer to all this is that the public’s too stupid to know what’s good for them, were they also stupid last year when they voted this guy into office? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

elduende on August 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

The Obama administration and Demo Majority are gagging the conservatives, denying access to discussion in committee and on the floor.

So what’s keeping the conservatives from mounting their OWN organized, unified “improved health campaign” in advance? There are a few GOP health bills floating around still. Instead, by now they should have crafted only one containing only the critical issues, and stipulating that beyond what currently exists, no further government sponsorship/program be attached, revised or reformed to the bill in the future.

Why isn’t Michael Steele advertising the GOP bills? Why aren’t the GOP sponsors advertising their bill? Why aren’t we telling our legislators to reject Obama’s plan and support the affordable conservative plan?

Just say no has its effect. But why should we be stuck still in the terrible twos in this rebuttal? That works for those who don’t want to study. But those who know what would improve our situation are getting tired spinning wheels. We constituents want NO HR3200, NO ObamaCare.

But we do want lower costs that will require legislation to strike down previously legislated problems.
TORT REFORM,
INTERSTATE POLICY AVAILABILITY,
SMALL BUSINESS POLICIES @ SAME LOW COST AS TO CORPORATIONS,
ABSOLUTELY NO TAX FUNDED BENEFITS TO ILLEGAL ALIENS,
AND NO TAX FUNDS FOR ABORTIONS ANYWHERE.

Let Charities and Donations enjoy tax exempt status.
Nationalize the coding system for procedures to cut administration and clerical.

Tom DeLay would not have permitted the loyal opposition to be so disorganized, nor would Newt Gingrich. Whatever their faults, they functioned and garnered unified strength.

On bipartisanship, the Republicans have learned their sorry lessons. Beyond going hog wild on spending to lose credibility, it was the stupid “reach across the aisle” mentality that wasted the years of conservative majority so that their pet priority never passed. From now on, stick to the basics and keep fiscal responsibility top priority.

maverick muse on August 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Why, oh why can’t Steele talk like that every day?

Mr. Grump on August 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Aw, dude, my Newfie says smarter things than you.

John the Libertarian on August 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

you have a newfie? i am jealous! i love me some newfies! ;-)

homesickamerican on August 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I’m jealous too!

I had a newf when I was growing up. I’d get another one in a second if I weren’t living in an apartment.

You will not find gentler giants on the face of this planet.

JadeNYU on August 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Right on, right on, right on. I like the way to lay it on the table, Mr. Steele: “The American people will not tolerate it.”

onlineanalyst on August 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I do enjoy it so, when you work blue.

juanito on August 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM

AP, I disagree on this point:

Akbar Obooboo has exactly one goal. His sole purpose is to throw the US under the bus. Never, never, never believe what the ‘Won’ says. Always, always, always believe what the ‘Won’ does. In that way he’s just like Bill Gates.

Blacksmith8 on August 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM

farright on August 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM
I don’t think they have grown enough yet to put the SEM away.

chemman on August 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM

You are most likely correct in that assumption but I will take any improvement over the total laydown we have been getting.

bluemarlin on August 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Why do I get the distinct impression that October is going to be something of a political bloodbath as far as Congress goes?

Kind of makes you wish there was such a thing as “mass recall” of these elected dunderheads.

pilamaye on August 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM

pilamaye on August 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Term limits for Congress! Up or down, baby.

Mallard T. Drake on August 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM

LOL! I like Steele more and more everyday.

indy8 on August 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I wish Steele was always like this.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 21, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Wow! Steele sounding like a conservative. What got into him?

DFCtomm on August 21, 2009 at 6:55 PM

First time I’ve seen this guy look like a leader. I like it.

watson007 on August 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Now, *that’s* the Michael Steele we need.

Why can’t that guy show up every day?

jana on August 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Aw, dude, my Newfie says smarter things than you.

John the Libertarian on August 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

My Golden leaves smarter things than simpleton in the pasture in little piles.
Steele goes streetcorner and calls ‘em out. Nice..

thomasaur on August 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Bluemartin @6:18
For all the blather from the RNC, I usually do mail all their requests back outlining why they are not getting a check, starting with a complete overhaul of the deadwood at the RNC headquarters. It is not business as usual! I will continue to contribute to candidates on a local level, and also to those across the country I want to see elected or reelected. If I’m in a really cranky mood I also detail all the issues I want to see addressed: illegal immigration, smaller government, less intrusion into the lives of Americans, balanced budgets, and list gets longer by the day.

24K lady on August 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Taking into consideration Bury’s arrogance and vanity a ‘face up challenge’ is well played.

thomasaur on August 21, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Yeah, that’s the Michael Steele I thought I knew.

Dee2008 on August 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM

AP I think you are in for a surprise if Bozo tries to ram this through now. The folks opposed have crashed the house server twice (dead hampsters) and the switchboards have been jammed for a couple weeks.

They are drowning in mail. And we should keep pouring it on just as hard as we can. As they get closer to trying to pass this thing the heat pouring into DC will make the shamnesty pushback look like a day at the beach.

More of US have read the bill than congress…

This will not go the way they want it to. As one reporter has already astutely pointed out, the libs have hopelessly spun out of control…

But we must continue to communicate with the aristocrats in congress.

dogsoldier on August 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Aw, dude, my Newfie says smarter things than you.

John the Libertarian on August 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

You guys do realize what Newfies are doncha?

Hint: Friendly, funny, hard drinking fishermen from down east in Canada.

Ogabe on August 21, 2009 at 7:13 PM

You guys do realize what Newfies are doncha?

Hint: Friendly, funny, hard drinking fishermen from down east in Canada.

Ogabe on August 21, 2009 at 7:13 PM

They’re dogs or Newfoundland fishermen’s girlfriends.

thomasaur on August 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM

maverick muse on August 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I HOPE your right.
I’ll believe the CHANGE when I see it on Deathcare, amnesty and crap and tax, otherwise I suspect usual suspects will pop up including the former DemLite Presidential Candidate.

I hope the Dims don’t have the votes as I wouldn’t put it past the Dims to ram it!
These clowns are not about whats’ good for America they are out to destroy capitalism and socialize as much of this country as possible creating a vast government controlled and government employed electorate.
Bank bailouts, auto takeovers, attack on coorperate bonuses and wages, now attack on the next great big pile of money and capitalism, Insurance and medicine! Oil, coal, will be next.

It is not about helping it is about destroying!
Learn It! Believe it!
Be Prepared!

dhunter on August 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Steele could have gone after Obama more (challenging Zero’s whine about GOP blocking everything) but it’s a good start.

Dickie Dunn on August 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Yeah, that’s the Michael Steele I thought I knew.

Dee2008 on August 21, 2009

Remembering how miserably he started out in that position, it will take a lot more of this, consistently, before I put any trust in him.

SKYFOX on August 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM

The fact that they voted this guy in is proof they don’t know what’s good for them.

TinMan13 on August 21, 2009 at 7:23 PM

SKYFOX on August 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM

+100

jana on August 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Michael……

……… that was very well done.

More please…….

Seven Percent Solution on August 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I think Steele just called their bluff!

Rndguy on August 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I love it when Steele calls em champ!

lonestar1 on August 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM

This is not the phony Steele.

This is the real mccoy:

RNC Chairman Steel e .

TheAlamos on August 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I liked that too. He did call the Dems bluff. He also put it on us. It is on us. We are the majority. We are what is standing in the way. We need to ratchet up the heat.

9 Trillion folks! Why are we are even having a debate about health care?! Absurd!

cubbieblue25 on August 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM

They have the votes (supposedly, or in theory anyway).
Gibbs said Obama’s willing to risk 2nd term on this.
The bluff is being called. Your move…

anuts on August 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Now, *that’s* the Michael Steele we need.

Why can’t that guy show up every day?

jana on August 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM

He needed Palin to soften up the battlefield.

bestwins on August 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Well done! Keep it up!

EconomicNeocon on August 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM

He needed Palin to soften up the battlefield.

bestwins on August 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Sarah Palin. Death Panels. Brilliant! This woman has some sort of intangible magic. She is like Krytonite.

cubbieblue25 on August 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Startin’ to live up to the name now, eh Mike? Way to go–start coordinated effort. Individualism only goes so far. Call him out—give your fellas some cover. Give Palin cover. use multiple means of attack.

Get some! GET SOME!

ted c on August 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM

When the enemy is aggressive and threatening attack, he is likely going to retreat….

—Sun Tzu The Art of War

When the enemy is humble and appearing weak, he is hiding something…

ted c on August 21, 2009 at 9:01 PM

He needed Palin to soften up the battlefield.

bestwins on August 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Absolutely right, along with lots of town hall protesters.

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Absolutely right, along with lots of town hall protesters.

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

True dat, the mob is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

bestwins on August 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM

My Golden leaves smarter things than simpleton in the pasture in little piles.
Steele goes streetcorner and calls ‘em out. Nice..

thomasaur on August 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I miss Reebok, my Golden, lost him last year at 15, tears…

M-14 2go on August 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM

He needed Palin to soften up the battlefield.

bestwins on August 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Absolutely right, along with lots of town hall protesters.

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

He needed Palin to show him how to be a man.

Jeff from WI on August 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Yes. But they are waking up to the attempted socialist takeover of our freedom. Keep up the pressure! It ain’t the Republican politicians who are obstructing this bill, it’s the American people!

Christian Conservative on August 21, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I applaud Steele because he has hit it just right.
Barry has the votes, he has the media, the deck is stacked in his favor. Why waste time whining about the angry mobs, the mobilization or Fox News? The question now is have you got the guts? Are you all in? The stakes seem simple enough…re-election for yourself and Arlen Spector and Harry Reid…and the rest of the Obamacrats running in 2010…The only x-factor here is the voting public.
Is this your agenda or is it a political calculation?
Are the blue dogs really in your pocket, or not?
Time to put your money where your mouth is.
You have the will but do you have the way?
Don’t sing it, bring it.

TheRook on August 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Steele has been working his ass off. I have to give him credit. He will speak anywhere no matter how small the venue and the fund raising by the RNC has been in full force. I get calls and letters all the time even though the election is a long way off. He spoke at a tiny College not to far from here.
Time he gets a little credit

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Michael……

……… that was very well done.

More please…….

Seven Percent Solution on August 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Much, much, much, much freaking more. I see more of you on HA than I do on TV. Love the attitude, love the message.

Get a bigger audiance.

Hog Wild on August 22, 2009 at 1:56 AM

. . . they might have to go nuclear at all to pass this clusterfark.

And, if they do, Dear Allah, I strongly believe Obama’s party will also experience “General Cluster’s” fate soon after.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 22, 2009 at 2:17 AM

FOX Alert: WH admits deficit will be $2.0 TRILLION higher than earlier predicted.

I am getting old. I remember when Rush was saying how disgusted he was that Bush was putting out a Federal Budget that was 1.8 Trillion. Now, (Glup), 2 Trillion is the margin of error…

GunRunner on August 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Like that…”up or down, baby!”

LtE126 on August 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Michael Steele that was well said. Please say something stronger tomorrow.

darktood on August 23, 2009 at 3:05 AM

“up or down, baby!” You go Steele.

yoda on August 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM