Palin: No health-care reform without tort reform

posted at 11:35 am on August 21, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin issued a strong call for tort reform from her Facebook platform this morning, calling on Congress and the American people to fix what’s specifically wrong in the US health-care system rather than break everything that works. Palin winningly refers to the deluge of frivolous legal actions against her as an example of a tort system run amuck, and ironically uses a Bill Clinton stock phrase, “I feel your pain.” She also has documented her argument rather thoroughly:

President Obama’s health care “reform” plan has met with significant criticism across the country. Many Americans want change and reform in our current health care system. We recognize that while we have the greatest medical care in the world, there are major problems that we must face, especially in terms of reining in costs and allowing care to be affordable for all. However, as we have seen, current plans being pushed by the Democratic leadership represent change that may not be what we had in mind — change which poses serious ethical concerns over the government having control over our families’ health care decisions. In addition, the current plans greatly increase costs of health care, while doing lip service toward controlling costs.

We need to address a REAL bipartisan reform proposition that will have REAL impacts on costs and quality of patient care.

As Governor of Alaska, I learned a little bit about being a target for frivolous suits and complaints (Please, do I really need to footnote that?). I went my whole life without needing a lawyer on speed-dial, but all that changes when you become a target for opportunists and people with no scruples. Our nation’s health care providers have been the targets of similar opportunists for years, and they too have found themselves subjected to false, frivolous, and baseless claims. To quote a former president, “I feel your pain.”

So what can we do? First, we cannot have health care reform without tort reform. The two are intertwined. For example, one supposed justification for socialized medicine is the high cost of health care. As Dr. Scott Gottlieb recently noted, “If Mr. Obama is serious about lowering costs, he’ll need to reform the economic structures in medicine—especially programs like Medicare.” [1] Two examples of these “economic structures” are high malpractice insurance premiums foisted on physicians (and ultimately passed on to consumers as “high health care costs”) and the billions wasted on defensive medicine.

Defensive medicine comprises as much as 10% of the total cost of American health care.  One study puts the average annual cost of defensive medicine as high as $2,000 for a family of four.  Estimates range between $100-$178 billion per year of defensive medicine costs.

To give a comparison, Obama has proposed to save $177 billion by killing off Medicare Advantage, a highly successful public-private partnership that expands coverage and simplifies billing for both patients and providers in the Medicare system.  Tort reform would eliminate the need for those cuts, and probably would also alleviate the wait times currently experienced as defensive medicine vanishes and more resources are available.  Doctors could focus on health rather than liability.

Why hasn’t Congress addressed tort reform?  For one thing, many of the Representatives and Senators on Capitol Hill are attorneys themselves.  Even more, the trial lawyers give a lot of money to Democrats, who currently control both chambers of Congress.  We’re unlikely to see tort reform in the health-care industry, and especially not across-the-board tort reform, which would take a big burden off the American economy (except, of course, in the ambulance-chasing industry).

But it’s a good issue to raise, especially since this administration and Congress says that we can’t do reform incrementally but must do it comprehensively.  It can’t be comprehensive while leaving tort reform off the table.

Comments

This means that R. S. McCain must take the blame for the 9 trillion word deficit!

INC on August 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM

You’re finally getting a clue. A hefty snifter clink to you.

Loxodonta on August 21, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Thanks for my re-education!

INC on August 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Gotta love it when you see smart libs getting outsmarted by real Americans.

We need to move the MSM all to an island…and then all the rest of the trolls and libs to a cave…. under the island.

ted c on August 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM

DarkCurrent on August 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I googled myself, I got 163,000 hits, and even though I though a unique moniker, I had to go to the second page before I got a hit that was me.

I wish I had a body like the guy in the first entry.

Somebody with the monikor of bishop, I can imagine his hits will be well into the millions.

MarkTheGreat on August 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM

By googling with more precision like this, I only get 2,500 hits for you at Hot Air, and don’t see the body of the guy, your envy of which distracted you from completing your research on Bishop. Then, by hitting the options button, further narrowing and sorting is available. Focus.

Loxodonta on August 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I’ve read enough Marx (I’m an economist–it’s a know thine enemy thing) to know that Obama is not a Marxist. ‘Twasn’t Obama, anyhow, who nationalized (state-ionalized?) the oil companies’ assets and distributed that which had been expropriated among the proletariat she governed.
hicsuget on August 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM

You are an economist who has read Marx and doesn’t know the difference between assets and negotiated royalties?
Or are you just dishonest?

Skandia Recluse on August 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM

atheling…..very true about her Facebook numbers. I enjoy reading the comments on Facebook from the ordinary folks. Most are so in line on what you hear on the other blogs. I hope if she is ever feeling overwhelmed she sits down and reads them, because they are all very uplifting. You still have trolls, but they are smacked down pretty fast, kind of like at HotAir.

…Thanks INC, it was a very bittersweet day for us, but he is in a better place and having fun having “discussions” with my mom, again.

shomegirl on August 21, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Tort reform is an excellent start!

I would also like the SHPS to be reformed as well. Currently SHPS is a good start to a Health Care savings account, except there is a ‘use it or lose it’ part to the program. That means if you choose to participate you have to do a little math and work out your insurance deductibles and expected medical costs you plan on using in the coming calendar year. So, if you set aside too much and are unable to use it in time you lose that money. It is also possible an unexpected medical emergency to pop up and be caught short. That’s one idea to get the ball rolling

lwssdd on August 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM

She’s the only one to trust……….the rest are crooks….

Cinday Blackburn on August 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

We love you Sarah………….go get them.

Cinday Blackburn on August 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Bleeds Blue on August 21, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Let’s go through your post; I’ll help you do it better next time.

The first smart thing she’s said in months.

This kind of statement needs some supporting documentation. Show us where she’s said things that you think were not smart. If you’re going to to sway people with opinions, you need to reinforce them with facts.

Of course, it’s just a negotiating ploy. The Republicans will accept tort reform, give up nothing in return, vote against the bill en masse and accuse Obama of being a socialist.

Republicans aren’t negotiating in good faith.

Republicans aren’t being negotiated with; they’re not included in the discussions, that result in the draft legislation.

Check this out. [Here, you used Time magazine as a source.]

Time is not an unbiased source. The article you cite tells a story, without naming the involved parties, or the sources of the tale, about a conversation that is alleged to have taken place in the White House.

Critical thinkers don’t rely on un-named sources.

massrighty on August 21, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Cinday Blackburn on August 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Someone told me Glenn Beck was heading to Alaska on his vacation………..hmmmm……………..What an interview

Cinday Blackburn on August 21, 2009 at 8:52 PM

OT – I’m about to find out who the libtards are among my FB friends…I just became a fan of Sarah and I admit I may have been wrong about that whole resignation thing. Talk about effective, one FB wall posting and the whitehouse goes into full attack mode…they must be very afraid.

jwp1964 on August 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Or are you just dishonest?

Skandia Recluse on August 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM

He is a hate-filled codger who lose to crap on Christianity and be obtuse. I’d wager on moby.

daesleeper on August 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM

The Marine knelt before him with the flag and presented it to him and if you could have seen the pride and reverence in my child’s eyes you would have cried.

shomegirl on August 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Believe me, you brought tears to my eyes.

Your son is blessed. Having a hero for a grandfather is one of the greatest gifts a child can have. So rare.

atheling on August 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM

You guys are killing me, shomegirl, having a Hero deliver the flag of a Hero to your son is tear fetching.

Two years ago I lost my Father, a Korean War Navy Vet, we buried him at home. I also lost two uncles that year. One was a Navy Sea-Bee, he dealt with the building of Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. The other, landed at Normandy with the 29th Infantry Division. Both are now at Arlington, where they belong. All Funerals are bad, but to see these brave souls interned…

There are no words to convey my heart felt wishes to your family, all I can say is God bless you and yours.

M-14 2go on August 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM

daesleeper on August 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for the verification. I try to ignore stuff like that but once in awhile it trips my overloads.

Skandia Recluse on August 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM

shomegirl…

Very sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds like he was a real hero. The kind of man that made America great.

gary4205 on August 21, 2009 at 9:02 PM

shomegirl,

So sorry about the loss of your dad. I salute him! God bless.

jimmy2shoes on August 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

The Race Card on August 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

You and I both know that she is and will continue to be transfixed by the train wreck that you are.

The Race Card on August 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I, myself, am of two minds about this. On the one hand, it’s theoretically possible you are correct. As near as I can calculate, that would be somewhat less than once in a blue moon. On the other hand, you could be wrong since you always are, as is common knowledge here. On the third hand, however, this would mean that you are not indeed a humorless train wreck, for which I am unable to find any contradictory evidence whatsoever. And on the fourth hand I believe we have enough people available between the two of us to play a any number of four-handed card games, any time that one of us can get together.

Loxodonta on August 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Sarah at it again.

Hmmmm……to compare to baseball….

Sarah goes 3 for 4 with a walk, a solo shot, 2 rbi double, single and strikes out once going for the cycle.

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Sarah Palin: So what can we do? First, we cannot have health care reform without tort reform. The two are intertwined. For example…

Palin here is promoting basic conservative principles regarding health care reform. To me, she writes in a style that is approachable and understandable to people. Yes, it doesn’t have the lofty rhetoric or the flowery words of some great politicians. But it also doesn’t have the “nuance” and weasel words of our current president. So, I find Palin’s writing style an asset that makes the conservative principles she espouses easier grasp.

Loxodonta on August 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Palin writes very similarly to the way Ronald Reagan spoke during his 45″ LP “speeches” that he circulated years before he was elected president or even before his legendary “A Time for Choosing Speech” during goldwater’s nomination.

A lot of folks have either forgotten or never knew that Reagan literally spent decades “in the wilderness” preaching Hayekian/Friedmanesque fiscal responsibility before the public took notice. He preached his remarkable free-market convictions during the Kennedy and Johnson eras, while the world was deep in the grips of Keynesianism.

Just like Palin, Reagan was reviled by “cultured” and “refined” paleo-conservatives from the east coast. He was called a dullard, a simpleton and a dangerously militaristic cowboy.

Just as Palin is receiving barbs from fellow conservatives, remember that the term “Voodoo Economics” wasn’t coined by some New York Times columnists to deride Reagan’s economic principles, it was actually coined by none other than George H.W. Bush who opposed Reagan for the Republican nomination.

Republican strategists and observers had taken a shine to Reagan because he had used the “guerilla media” of his time so thoroughly and effectively to affect the direction of national policy with very little effort. Palin has already sent a popular president and a democratic supermajority on the defensive on the first couple posts on her facebook page.

Khorum on August 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

The key difference between Obama and Palin—Palin survived a gauntlet of media criticism and emerged stronger. Obama survived a cotton candy and twinkie treatment from the media and still has a glass jaw.

And now she’s dropping bombs on Candyland……

incoming!! boom—git er done

ted c on August 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Sarah Palin–makes a pot of coffee, posts a quickie hit on facebook, hauls in some fish, cooks em up, and knocks the empty suit of a president back 50 feet. She probably has time for a manicure and a run after that.

ted c on August 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

She’s the only one to trust on Education, taxes, energy, Dept. of Defense and Dept. of Justice…………

Cinday Blackburn on August 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I am starting to see a pattern here:

1. Palin attacks.

2. Media debates her attack ad-nauseum.

3. Krauthammer questions Palin.

3. Obama falls in polls.

4. Krauthammer concedes he was wrong.

Norwegian on August 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM

+100

Leitmotif

Geochelone on August 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM

While Krauthammer may have written of this earlier, Sarah has the ability to distill the issue into digestible bites that everyone can understand… even the trolls.

She has the pulse of the people and the attention of the media, which no other public figure has in this fight.

Sarah speaks for ordinary Americans… again.

And some thought her resignation would only make her fade…

WRONG!

atheling on August 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Damn Straight.

Geochelone on August 21, 2009 at 9:31 PM

“Wee weed up” has got to be the stupidest thing any politician has said or done since another Democrat did

THIS

ConservativeTony on August 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Or, THIS.

massrighty on August 21, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I am starting to see a pattern here:

1. Palin attacks.

2. Media debates her attack ad-nauseum.

3. Krauthammer questions Palin.

3. Obama falls in polls.

4. Krauthammer concedes he was wrong.

Norwegian on August 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM

+100

Leitmotif

Geochelone on August 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM

That’s true. Krauthammer misread the town hall protests, and he misread Palin. He’s an ultra-sharp guy, but he has his blind spots.

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Hmmm. Tells me that he does have an elitist problem.

atheling on August 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Palin is doing more in a bath robe, fuzzy slippers, and a personal computers than all other members of the GOP combined.

BuckeyeSam on August 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

He’s in Washington. Believe me, that place has no resemblance to the real world. Maids and gardeners there are better dressed than some of the hoi polloi showing up for these townhalls. As policy-smart as Krauthammer can be, he is blind to the real world beyond the Beltway, which is why he does not get Sarah Palin at all.

I had to move out of D.C. after 22 years to figure this out myself. Even though I have always been conservative, I look at things much differntly now that I live in the real world. For one thing, most of the people I know now have real jobs making things or selling things that people want to buy, or providing services like electrical work and landscaping. Just like most Americans. Most people I know go to church or temple. Evben the affluent families here send their kids to public school, or to Catholic school if they are Catholic. In Washington, most people I knew were lawyers or lobbyists or government workers or think-tank policy analysts or trade association managers. Almost nobody went to church or temple. Most of the kids go to private schools.

It really, really makes a difference in you you view Americans and how you view a person like Sarah Palin.

rockmom on August 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I’ve been reading a lot of comments on HA the past few days which I would consider to be extremely “fishy”.

Can I still report you guys to the White House….or is that (yet) another failed Obama program?…What a clunker!

alwyr on August 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Khorum on August 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I also remember Ronny. When our country needed him the most, President Ronald Reagan was ready to serve. And what a remarkable job he did.

Sarah Palin has many strengths and a lot of potential. For me personally, I was most moved and impressed by her own personal choice about Trig. That was a commitment for life. And I mean that every way you can parse those words.

I don’t know what path Palin will take or where it will lead. I know that all the potential Republican presidential candidates have to be tested by a gauntlet of criticism, mostly unfair, but some fair, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

I think Palin’s recent Facebook posts have been very impressive and effective. I am very grateful to everyone who is contributing to the defeat of ObamaCare. Make it happen, please.

Palin will be making the campaign circuit for the 2010 election. No matter what the polls look like today, it won’t be easy to retake Congress. But if the GOP can, that will seriously slow Obama’s dangerous agenda. The Republican who contributes the most to our success in 2010 will have a good case to claim the Republican presidential nomination for 2012.

Loxodonta on August 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM

BuckeyeSam on August 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

LOLOL…that was SOOO well put!

Jeff from WI on August 21, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Hey now.. I am the supreme leader of cultists, remember!

Even though I am sure I told everyone, don’t make her out like Obama.. on many occations.

upinak on August 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I thought that was RAM. Did we have a coup or something.

Clyde5445 on August 21, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Her points are valid. Her writing is horrid.

The Race Card on August 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I read it and it read easy and fine.

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Her points are valid. Her writing is horrid.

The Race Card on August 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I read it and it read easy and fine.

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Oh, I suppose Race Card means to say that it was “rambling” or some other rhetorical tic that anti-Palinistas indulge in.

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Ah a wonderful for hunting as she crusies low over the steppes.

Piloting her IL-2 Sturmovik, the outlaw Sarahcuda pounces on a German tank column, knocking out two Tigers, then follows it up with a strafing run of division HQ.

The General wee-wees as he chews out his staff.

Looks like a million mark bounty.

Give them the whole nine yards Sarah. And then… DO IT AGAIN!

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM

BuckeyeSam on August 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Hell, we’re all doing that.

atheling on August 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Cinday Blackburn on August 21, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Hmmm. Let’s hope so!

atheling on August 21, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Heheheh. She does have charisma.

atheling on August 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM

In a weird way the left has ‘made’ Sarah. I have often wondered if I would feel the way I do about her if the left did not hate her so much. I think the answer is no.
I think if the left had not overeacted she would just be in the pack with Romney and Huckabee and the right would have judged her accordingly.
Everytime you see Olberman, or Eugene Robinson or some other tool like Bill Mahr or airhead pseudo conservatives like Brooks and Parker spend so much time on her because she gets under there skin, it just feels my heart with glee.

kangjie on August 21, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Now where would poor little John Edwards get the money to support his mistress and his love child?

bayview on August 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM

alwyr on August 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

They already have a whole portfolio on me.

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM

It sure did. He got re-elected after everyone had predicted a one term post 1994 takeover.

Chekote on August 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM

He got re-elected cause he turned back to the middle.

Your buddy O-man won’t. He is foolish.

Sapwolf on August 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM

He got re-elected cause he turned back to the middle.

Your buddy O-man won’t. He is foolish.

Sapwolf on August 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM

You’re right. He couldn’t even do it if he tried. He’s been so far radicalized that it’s completely unnatural and everyone would know it.

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM

kangjie on August 21, 2009 at 11:49 PM

It makes me more resolute to fight them.

I want to destroy them. (Politically, that is)

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Sarah Palin just posted on Facebook that the sun is hot! Let’s see the Palinistas act like it Palin discovered the sun.

Chekote on August 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Man, you are just coming up with nothing tonight. You must be paid just ticking punching.

Do some homework and put up a decent trollfight or move on.

Sapwolf on August 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Chekote on August 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Chekote is a dumbass.
Chekote has a small wee wee
Chekote is a chickenshit
Chekote sucks
See chekote post stupid stuff about Sarah Palin See Chekote get ass clowned
Who is the dumbest mofo on hotair . Answer Chekote
I heard moby kicked the shit out of Chekote

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Chekotse favorite expression?
Answer: Do you want fries with that

I’m kidding of course chekote is to dumb to get a job in the fast food industry

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I found a good quote for you Chekote. Reminds me of you

He has every attribute of a dog except loyalty. — Thomas P. Gore

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:21 AM

LOL!

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Stop it! You’re killing me!

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Stop it! You’re killing me!

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM

chekote thinks he is a brave intellectual because he dare insult sarah Palin(as if ever Rino, Lib and no nothing is not doing this day and night). One of the easiest things to do is pile on and kick someone who all the cool people hate. Typical nutless bully.
chekote one more punk(see how easy it is just to throw insults around bitch)

kangjie on August 22, 2009 at 12:37 AM

We need to move the MSM all to an island…
ted c on August 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM

The MSM IS all on an island – Manhattan. They need to be moved off the island and dispersed across middle America. It may or may not work as far creating more centrist journalists, but it sure would be fun to watch insufferable libs live and work far, far away from the mothership…

joejm65 on August 22, 2009 at 12:38 AM

joejm65 on August 22, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Now why would you want to punish the good folks of middle America like that? I say put them all on Guantanamo. With their Muslim friends they are so concerned about.

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM

You’d have to build a Starbucks on Gitmo. Although, the way that place sounds, they probably have one there already.

joejm65 on August 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM

BuckeyeSam on August 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Palin was just named as the most tech savy Republican. Actually she is the most tech savy of any politician, even the Big Zero who comes in second. She is gaining followers on her Facebook account by the largest percentage per day of anyone. More than ten times that of the 0. No other Republican has even close to the following she has. This is why the MSM HAS to report what she has to say. She has by passed them and now reaches millions of people directly with no interpretive filters from anyone left OR right.
Go Sarah Go. Soc Et Tuem!!!

shmendrick on August 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM

joejm65 on August 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM

No no! No Starbucks. Chock full O’Nuts!

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 1:16 AM

shmendrick on August 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Wow, really? I came in second! I didn’t know about this poll. I’m not really a politician, but I’m honored that… Oh. Dang. I really wish everyone would stop calling Obama “Zero.” :(

rockmom on August 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM

It really pains me to agree, because I’ve always admired Krauthammer’s work. I suspect Beltway blindness is only part of the reason he keeps dumping on Palin. The other reason is that he honestly thinks she’s bad for the conservative movement, or at least the Republican Party, and is doing his best to marginalize her before she leads the party down some dead-end populist path. I strongly disagree with him, but the last time I wrote about it at length, I felt like I should be court-martialed for dropping ordnance on a friendly target.

To repeat something else I’ve said before, I’d like to remind the Wall Street Journal there’s a couple of column inches currently being wasted on Peggy Noonan’s slow-motion seppuku, that would look mighty nice with Sarah Palin’s byline instead. Journal editors, ask your subscribers if they’d mind having a couple hundred thousand of Palin’s Facebook friends buy subscriptions. Make a few phone calls to put Peggy in touch with Arianna Huffington. Win – win.

Doctor Zero on August 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Yes, follow the money to the nest-bed of corruption – the Democratic Party…..

DL13 on August 22, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Doctor Zero on August 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Man, would that really boost interest in the WSJ.

And HuffPo would think they really pulled a coup by getting Peggy and have her continue attacking the GOP and gushing over Obama.

Sapwolf on August 22, 2009 at 2:32 AM

I have a dream. Since I no longer can even dream about beating the lawyers on tort reform, I dream of passing laws to permit limited liability healthcare partnerships and hospitals

A hospital would not be subject to lawsuit for malpractice, but, would be required to pay for care (in the same Hospital) to make up for prior mistakes as specified by a mediation board. A doctor might have to operate a second time for free, or pay another limited liability doctor to do the service

For instance in this imaginary clinic, a patient sent home with appendicitis would be hospitalized and treated for free for the complications resulting.

The mediation board would require the Hospital to refund payments for incorrect services. Such a Hospital could not be sued for failing to send the patient to a better Hospital because the treatment line ends at that Hopital, unless two limited liability Hospitals agreed to split specialists between them

The limited liability Hospital might not have an MRI but might have an XRay machine or a CT scanner. The patient would know it was minimal care, but it would be cheap care

It would be Britains’s National Health Service on a voluntary basis, paid in cash or monthly installments by people seeking the cheap, and the limited liability would keep it cheaper, and the lawyers could keep trawling the tv channels for malpractice cases and they could go on suing everyone else until there isnt anyone left to sue

entagor on August 22, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Win – win.

Doctor Zero on August 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM

ROFLMAO!

Saltysam on August 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM

Dr. Weinstein makes good points, points completely ignored by President Obama. Dr. Weinstein details the costs that our out-of-control tort system are causing the health care industry and notes research that “found that liability reforms could reduce defensive medicine practices, leading to a 5 percent to 9 percent reduction in medical expenditures without any effect on mortality or medical complications.”

I’d bet the farm the 5-9% figure is ridiculously conservative, and the actual savings could be anywhere from 25-60%.

Saltysam on August 22, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Palin is a tidal wave…

…if it’s also possible that a tidal wave can be sharp as a tack.

Saltysam on August 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM

Chipotle stop trying to ‘wee-wee’ up Sarah’s taken down of 0bamaDeathCare with your selfish pouting.

I know you were really looking forward to that socialized health care so you could have your head surgically removed from your anus, but try think of the rest of the country rather than yourself mmmkay?

Mr Purple on August 22, 2009 at 5:18 AM

Call her butter because she’s smooth, sweet and on a roll.

She really let’s everyone have it on her way to another smackdown of 0bamaDeathCare. Trial lawyers, petty litigants, her detractors. Nobody is safe.

She is really something on the attack.

I am a little surprised with how effective she has been on this issue. I thought she would have her niche with her concern for Trig and others who would face the strictest rationing – but she has totally destroyed his message and now puts him on the defensive with the TORT reform Facebook Wall-Ed.

Just wait until Cap and Tax rolls around. That is where I expected her to have a big impact. She will turn the Cap and Tax debate into a Drill Baby Drill chant.

Mr Purple on August 22, 2009 at 5:29 AM

jwp1964 on August 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

You know you’re doing something right when your enemies are attacking you.

andrewtf on August 22, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Read Gov. Rick Perry’s (Texas) wonderful compliments regarding Sarah Palin in today’s Wall Street Journal. Wow! He thinks she’s the real thing. And she is!

Cinday Blackburn on August 22, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Ah a wonderful day for hunting as she crusies low high over the steppes Normandy.

Piloting her IL-2 Sturmovik P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug), the flight leader Sarahcuda pounces on a German tank column, knocking out two Tigers, then follows it up with a strafing run of division HQ.

The General wee-wees as he chews out his staff.

Looks like a million mark bounty.

Give them the whole nine yards Sarah. And then… DO IT AGAIN!

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I can not see her in a commie-bird, even if it was the Russians who had female pilots.

Sarah writes in a manner detested by “intellectuals”. She is clear, convincing, and worst of all unashamedly conservative.

Slowburn on August 22, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Slowburn on August 22, 2009 at 7:25 AM

It just occurred to me, many literary “intellectuals” dismiss Hemingway’s writing for the same reasons (except the conservative part).

They just don’t understand that smart and complex aren’t the same thing. They are usually opposed.

pugwriter on August 22, 2009 at 7:33 AM

hicsuget on August 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Ahem. And what about the oil and other minerals sitting under State lands? Whose asset is that? [My answer — those mineral assets are held by the State of Alaska in trust for the People of Alaska]. Given that my answer is correct, then, when those assets are extracted from the ground by an oil company (whether it be Chinese, Brazilian, Dutch, British, or even American) and generate a profit, doesn’t the State whose raw materials fed that profit, and whose economy and environment would suffer in the event of an accident, deserve both a share and a say in how those minerals (including oil) are extracted?

We can apply the same reasoning on minerals extracted from Indian reservations and from your back yard. Nobody has the right to come in and take the oil from under your back yard without compensating you. I learned this first hand a couple of years ago when an oil company had to go door-to-door signing people up because they were going to “slant drill” into an oil reservoir under my home. In the end, I refused to sign, because the contract made me responsible for any land subsidence as a result of the drilling…

As I’ve pointed out in another comment, the State of Alaska evenly distributes those revenues every year to their citizens, and that’s certainly a conservative way of distributing the People’s share — unlike the liberal response which would be to take all the money and spend it on grandiose projects of dubious worth.

unclesmrgol on August 22, 2009 at 10:16 AM

A few of my friends at work refer to Palin as “the crook” who got away, and I think that is because they only follow what they hear on the tv, etc.

As far as I’m concerned, its a pity she partnered up with a rino this last election, but I’ll vote for her the next time she runs for office.

Mactypetim on August 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM

She is really something on the attack.

Mr Purple on August 22, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Boudicca comes to mind :D

alliebobbitt on August 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM

ted c on August 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM

She did nothing of the sort. She only appears to have survived because she and her cultists don’t read anything critical of her anyway, or converse with anyone outside of their own little bubble. If you were to step outside your echo chamber for just a minute, you would quickly note that Sarah Palin is a laughingstock.

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

(if you were to step outside your echo chamber for just a minute, you would quickly note that Sarah Palin is a laughingstock.

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM)

No one I’ve talked to can even say what they don’t like besides the many suits against her, but personally I think its because her life, and the ease she handles things, makes them feel inferior.

Mactypetim on August 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

And what about of those who can see none of Palin’s strengths and potential, and are quick to note that everybody who’s anybody thinks she is a laughingstock? Aren’t they, and you, living in an echo chamber, an elitist one at that?

Loxodonta on August 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Watch MSNBC much?

bw222 on August 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

hey hicsuget, ever been to a playoff hockey game?

Here’s a little reminder of what the “laughlingstock” did to your hero:

[happy home crowd chanting] “Death Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels! Deeaath Panels!”

DanOwillbookem on August 22, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Ah a wonderful for hunting as she crusies low over the steppes.

The General wee-wees as he chews out his staff.

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I can see the headline now: “PROOF that conservatives are calling Obama NAZIS!! Look at this Hotair thread!!”

Khorum on August 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I’VE READ ENOUGH ABOUT MARX TO KNOW THAT OBAMA IS NOT A MARXIST

What Marxism has done is to re-invent itself; instead of being obsessed with ‘each according to it’s need’, dialectical materialism, class consciousness and the exploitation of the proletariat, religion as the opiate of the people, the overthrow of the bourgeois and world revolution, the Marxism of the 21st c has moved on or evolved into a modern matrix but nevertheless still possesses the same goals that Marx did. Here are 10 areas in which this has occurred:

1)Obama’s goal is to replace the equalization of OPPORTUNITY with the equalization of RESULTS which is another way of looking at ‘overthrowing the capitalist system’. Obama constantly harps on the need to redistribute the wealth of America and cut down the rich to size.

2)While Marx focused more on the philosophical and historical basis and the reasons for his proposed Communist revolution, modern Marxists like Obama, with the help of a neo-Marxists like Alinsky and Cloward-Piven, focused more on the nefarious strategy needed to implement the takeover of the American government and how the Marxist ‘revolution’ would be permanently entrenched in a modern communications, high-tech, Internet environment.

3)Environmental statism (global warming hoax) is a modern form of Marxism that seeks to first undermine and then destroy capitalists by making it impossible to perform and make a profit by convincing the people that capitalism is evil and a crime against Mother Nature and the instruments of government (cap and trade) must be used to suppress it for the survival of the planet.

4)Being a Marxist does not mean one has to embrace mutually exclusive behavior. To say that Obama is a Marxist does not mean he cannot borrow from the most nefarious methods of other totalitarian regimes such as the use of sophisticated disinformation and propaganda methods, the will to control media dissemination and the intimidation by private armies (brownshirts) as practiced by Nazi Germany and the government involvement in industry without running the day-to-day operations as demonstrated by the Fascist Mussolini.

Obama does not have to own, run or nationalize industrial sectors to be called a Marxist. What you have to understand is modern Marxism through modern technology, the accessing of all kinds of information stored up in computers and the evolution of modern bureaucratic techniques no longer needs to physically manage the day-to-day operations of industrial activities to achieve its goals of micromanaging every aspect of the economy.

5)The continued sop or favoritism thrown to the union movement by
Obama to the detriment of the American taxpayer is clearly Marxist in that the triumph of the unions supposedly represents the 21st c version of the triumph of the proletariat.

6)The European bourgeois enemy or bugbear that Marx mostly framed his argument around has been replaced by Obama’s efforts to neutralize the American conservative movement, destroy the American Constitution and eliminate the natural rights of man to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness from American life. Marx sought to level the economic playing field to complete the revolution while Obama seeks to monopolize the political playing field to complete his.

7)as a follow-up to #2, modern Marxists are more focused on imposing their philosophy on the American people through sophisticated government legislation rather than arguing among themselves in theoretical philosophical discussions using the tax system and mounting deficits, the monetary and financial system, regulatory bodies and mountains of red tape, bureaucratic czars and
a proposed government takeover of health care to micromanage every aspect of everybody’s life.

8)One of the key differences between the modern Marxism as followed by Obama and the old-line Marxist is the former’s apparently non-threatening attitude towards religion and especially Christianity. There are two reasons for that. One is that Obama, who grew up as a follower of Islam, does not want to offend the entire Moslem world by condemning all religion and secondly Obama has focused on manipulating young American evangelicals with a ‘brothers’ keeper’ argument who also embrace the ideas of #3 to enhance his power base. Also claiming that ‘religion is the opiate of the people’ would not be good politics in America where over 80% profess a belief in God. Make no mistake however, Obama wants to become America’s new Messiah.

9)The need for world revolution has all but disappeared. Most former colonies are now independent and with the third world now virtually controlling the UN and socialism the predominant ideology throughout the world Obama only needs to focus on bringing America around. Obama is a Stalinist and not a Trotskyite.

10)The Marxism of the 19c was more European and economic in tone in considering the ‘victims’ of the time as those exploited by the greedy capitalist or landowner, while Obama’s idea of victimhood is more race or ethnic based. For Marx, the goal of the proletariat should be to throw off its shackles and establish a communal system focused on providing ‘each according to his need’; for Obama his view of ‘victimhood’ is laced with historical grievances that only government working on behalf of the victims can remedy and by extracting for each aggrieved member its pound of flesh from those who bear ‘white guilt’.

Make no mistake Obama is a Marxist. Just because he wears a business suit and tie and doesn’t boast a long beard like Marx doesn’t make him one.

technopeasant on August 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM

hicsuget on August 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Then why do the democrats and MSM spend so much time and money attacking her? Does that make sense?

Why would Obama respond to her statements on national TV?

If Palin is everything you say … what good is it to beat a dead horse?

In reality, and you know this to be true, Palin is attacked because of the power and ability she has to raise something in this country that the left thought they had under control. She is a visible repudiation of leftist ideology … especially feminism and abortion. If she wasn’t, the left wouldn’t give her the time of day.

darwin on August 22, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I know this has been said time and time again…SP… the latest …
I wholeheartedly agree …without tort reform… we’ll just be spinning wheels…
Ya might whanta buy one of these…cause of you want to clothe your family you’re gonna need one…
And while yer at it…get a few of these…
Got milk too…
If these progressives get their way these just might be your best buy…

jerrytbg on August 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Gov Palin cites tort reforms in Alaska and Texas as models of tort reform. No disagreement there. Then she asks for federal tort reform. Under Article VI of the constitution, federal laws preempt state laws and constitutions. So the minute they pass federal tort reform, it will revoke, preempt, nullify the Alaska and Texas tort reforms. And after they pass federal tort reform, states will forever be precluded from regulating tort law.

Federal tort reform may be fine now but what happens when they change it? What happens when they revoke the caps or “loser pays” rule? How can you then argue that the federal government cannot control state tort law when you begged for federal control over tort law?

The tort reforms of Alaska and Texas may be right. If they are, those states would have an influx of doctors; they would have reasonably priced insurance policies that would attract businesses. Other states might be inclined to imitate success. But if we go the federal tort reform route, experimentation is over forever.

casel21 on August 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I read it and it read easy and fine.

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Sapwolf on August 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I did not say it was unreadable.

Every legible word is not worth reading; every audible word is not worth hearing. Our National Anthem is beautiful and stirring. But I don’t want to hear Susan Estrich sing it.

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Perhaps you missed the part where I said “her points are valid.” I don’t think she was “rambling”. Rather, her written statements and speeches could use some editing.

Her resignation letter on the AK Gov website was written like a Myspace message to her BFF, complete with cap-locked shouts.

That you cannot discern decent from poor writing is telling. That you cannot handle a critique of your idol without name calling is typical.

The Race Card on August 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

The Race Card on August 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Ain’t that the truth. Thanks for proving your point.

atheling on August 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM

MY NEW RULE:

FOR EVERY GOOD THING PALIN BRINGS UP, I DONATE SOME MONEY TO HER http://WWW.SARAHPAC.COM

SINCE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, IN THE END SHE WILL SAVE ME MONEY BY PUSHING BACK AGAINST ALL THOSE BIG STATIST BIG SPENDERS

mooseburger on August 22, 2009 at 9:24 PM

ddrintn on August 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM

The Race Card on August 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Perhaps you see name-calling as easily as you see “horrid writing”. I didn’t call you anything.

Maybe you mean “horrid writing” literally, as in all-caps. Otherwise, I don’t see what your complaint is, other than indulging in a little more nitpicking.

ddrintn on August 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Go Sarah Go! Hey, she is an Aquarius and she’s letting the sun shine in….

njpat on August 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Can someone tell me why GOD would gift one woman with everything and at the same time send her to hell and back and the woman never once lost faith.

Love of state and country
Smart
beauiful
wife and mother of five
beauiful Todd
Where the hell is that pet?

oldyeller on August 23, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Go Sarah Go! Hey, she is an Aquarius and she’s letting the sun shine in…

njpat on August 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM

The natal chart of the US is Sun in Cancer with Aquarius moon. So, its most popular signs for Presidents are Aquarius (freedom and originality!) and Scorpio (power and mystery!)

Reagan (Morning in America) was an Aquarius. Teddy Roosevelt (“Speak softly and carry a big stick.”) was a Scorpio. For each sign, there have been 5 Presidents total.

Water and air signs go over best with Americans.

George Washington – Sun in Pisces

Libra – 4
Scorpio – 5
Sagittarius – 3
Capricorn – 4
Aquarius – 5
Pisces – 4

Harrison, Hoover, Clinton and Obama are Leos. They were all remembered best for their economic policy, mostly spending. Leos are lavish and decadent and fancy themselves entitled to the Divine Right of Kings. Americans naturally hate that.

chunderroad on August 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

But how will that work with Obama in bed with the trial lawyers? http://mark24609.blogspot.com/2009/08/health-care-reform-or-bust.html

Mark

mark24609 on August 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Trial lawyers have always been a Democratic party ATM. Hillbuzz gave Sarah Palin kudos for threatening their cash cow. But how it works is kind of the same way sunlight is the best disinfectant.

alliebobbitt on August 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM