WSJ: VA pushes vets to consider death as an alternative to treatment

posted at 11:36 am on August 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The ObamaCare bill may not contain “death panels,” but even Charles Lane and Eugene Robinson at the Washington Post wonder why the bill incentivizes end-of-life consultations with the elderly and ill as part of its cost-containment strategy.  Maybe Lane and Robinson should take a look at the VA, where the Obama administration and former General Eric Shinseki have reinstated a program called “Your Life, Your Choices.”  The Wall Street Journal reports that this program amounts to a high-pressure sales pitch for refusal of treatment for veterans:

“Your Life, Your Choices” presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political “push poll.” For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be “not worth living.”

The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to “shake the blues.” There is a section which provocatively asks, “Have you ever heard anyone say, ‘If I’m a vegetable, pull the plug’?” There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as “I can no longer contribute to my family’s well being,” “I am a severe financial burden on my family” and that the vet’s situation “causes severe emotional burden for my family.”

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

One can only imagine a soldier surviving the war in Iraq and returning without all of his limbs only to encounter a veteran’s health-care system that seems intent on his surrender.

I was not surprised to learn that the VA panel of experts that sought to update “Your Life, Your Choices” between 2007-2008 did not include any representatives of faith groups or disability rights advocates. And as you might guess, only one organization was listed in the new version as a resource on advance directives: the Hemlock Society (now euphemistically known as “Compassion and Choices”).

Of course, the program is entirely voluntary, right?  Well, the VA has instructed its physicians to deliver this end-of-life counseling to all of its patients.  In effect, the US government is telling every veteran it treats that they may want to die for their country — not to defend it, but to save it a few bucks.

This booklet has been in use since the Clinton administration.  When the Bush administration finally reviewed “Your Life, Your Choices,” it suspended its use within the VA system.  For some reason, the Obama administration and Shinseki have reinstated the booklet this year.  The directive reinstituting the booklet was issued last month.

Perhaps some of the “death panels” rhetoric was overblown, but this is downright disgusting.  The Bush administration was correct in suspending the use of these tactics to push vets into refusing treatment, and the government these men and women defended should be ashamed to have put that in their hands in the first place.  If Obama wants to argue that he won’t bend the cost curve downward at the expense of treatment, maybe he should start by stopping that very policy at the VA — one of the existing “public plans” that need reform much more than the overall health-care system.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I look forward to hear Olby’s “Special Comment” on this new revelation.

/crickets

Lance Murdock on August 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM

“We are God’s partners in matters of life and death.” –Barack Obama

Why should we be surprised?

Abby Adams on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

In other words,

Thanks for your service to our country. Now go away and die someplace.

UltimateBob on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Death panels.

Told by Canadian doctors in 2007 he couldn’t have the procedure there, Mercado’s family and doctor appealed to Ontario health officials, who agreed to let him have the transplant in Detroit in January 2008.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Well, we know military personnel usually vote Republican. This is just more community organizing, right?

This really gets the bile churning…

Darksean on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Despicable. And they wonder why the trust is gone.

elduende on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

There is no greater model for why government health care is a bad idea than the VA.

Gulchie on August 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Kill the Bill. No negotiation. No Compromises. There is no trust.

elduende on August 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

This administration is pure, unadulterated evil.

Puddleglum on August 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Health Care in the hands of government bureaucrats was never a good idea. It still isn’t.

d1carter on August 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

You know I’m getting to the point that nothing this administration does anymore surprises me. Even something as disgusting as this.

I’ve never seen an administration hate the people it’s supposed to serve as much as this one does.

gophergirl on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Didn’t Dr Kavorkian do jail time for promoting (and assisting) end of life options to the terminally ill? What makes this any differant?

I’m sure Crap Blue or Stupidliberal4evah will be able to answer my question. Huh trolls??

jbh45 on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Dr. Kevorkian to the ER…….

PatriotRider on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

A veteran ~~ whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve ~~ is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including my life.~~unknown

never thought they would ask us to cash that check this way.
sad, just sad.

trailortrash on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

So, these would not be death panels, right?

I know someone beat me to this, but, I had to say it.

Mommypundit on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

*facepalm* (for the country)

WashJeff on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

This government disgusts me.

myrenovations on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I guess Seppuku was written in the health care bill.

mizflame98 on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

This administration is pure, unadulterated evil.

Puddleglum on August 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Exactly.

Hey, Obama, save the country more than a few bucks by resigning.

Daggett on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Another cooked story with no solid proof whatsoever. EPIC FAIL

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Old soliders never die…they just are treated like garbage by the government they served.

kingsjester on August 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM

soliders=soldiers

kingsjester on August 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM

VA is a government run health care system. They are already rationing care. True, a few facilities are good, one or two very good, but the rest, mediocre at best.

And, as part of that rationing VA, first under Clinton and now Obama, see deceased veterans as a bottomline budget boost.

Instead of using that lame Post office model….perhaps Obama should be honest and use the VA (and the Indian Health Service) as a sterling example of the best government-controlled health care system in the world?

As for Eric Shinseki. Why am I not surprised?

coldwarrior on August 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Darksean on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Yep, it’s all part of the “Shut up and get out of the way” plan. It goes right along with the other parts of the plan, including:

Shut down republican-leaning auto dealerships, even if they are profitable

Give billions to ACORN and other Obama-supporting groups

Etc, etc.

UltimateBob on August 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Translation:
Hey, Vet, since you didn’t get the chance to make the ultimate sacrifice on the battlefield, why don’t you make it now?

Disturb the Universe on August 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Another stoned liberal with no solid argument. EPIC FAILURE!

jbh45 on August 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

As a vet I am disgusted by this! Good thing I did not seek treatment for depression because apparently I would bepushed towards pulling my own plug rather than treatment. This tells all that needs be told about Obamacare.

Words cannot express my anger at this moment.

jwp1964 on August 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Your days are numbered, liberal343

UltimateBob on August 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.Death Panel.

What is your life worth?

portlandon on August 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM

bepushed = been pushed

jwp1964 on August 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Question for you then: What did Obama mean when he said we were God’s partners in matters of death?

Abby Adams on August 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM

When are we going to get an edit function????!!!!!!

jwp1964 on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Kill the Bill. No negotiation. No Compromises. There is no trust.

elduende on August 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Agreed.

journeyintothewhirlwind on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

First, if these are decisions that someone needs to make, shouldn’t it be done while they are healty, not in pain and depressed and uncertain of their future. My dad was paralyzed in his early forties and went on to be an extrodinary provider and member of the community so this doesn’t sit well with me.

Cindy Munford on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Abby Adams on August 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Don’t expect an answer form stupidliberal4evah. He/she is stuck on stupid. Need…to..hit reset…button….

jbh45 on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

jwp1964 on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Fellow angry vet here…not to worry…your message came in loud and clear.

coldwarrior on August 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Does ObamaCare?

faraway on August 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Dammit

maverick muse on August 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM

“Your Life, Your Choices”

Hmmmmm, if only that euphamism applied to the unborn….

CDeb on August 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Did Cranky get the hammer yesterday? He’s MIA today.

kingsjester on August 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM

only one comment from stupidliberal4evah, but it is near feeding time….probably got the oats bag on.

jbh45 on August 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Cindy Munford on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Emotional maniuplation doesn’t work as well when a person is in a generally good frame of mind.

myrenovations on August 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I’m no veteran. But I can bet that I’d be pissed off right about now.

FontanaConservative on August 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

jbh45 on August 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

He’s hitting and running. Doesn’t want to be banned for the second day in a row.

kingsjester on August 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Another cooked story with no solid proof whatsoever. EPIC FAIL

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

A sourced story with easily verifiable facts versus an ignorant liar. One who seemingly came on board right when a similar moniker got banned for letting it’s Hitler mustache show.

You have negative credibility, which puts you in the company of your Dear Leader.

rbj on August 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Are they a lobby? Or are they getting government money? Or what?

As Congress debates health insurance reform, Compassion&Choices is leading the charge to make end-of-life choice a centerpiece of any program that emerges.

misslizzi on August 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM

SHAMELESS, but TOTALLY BELIEVABLE.

This is the fight of our lives. Literally.

balkanmom2 on August 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM

As the wife of an OIF veteran who currently uses VA programs, this disgusts me. Although pretty much everything that this president does disgusts me. He is a disgrace of a CIC.

thevastlane on August 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM

So under the liberals plan every mother carrying a prospective newborn will be told “the baby will eventually die anyway, whether it be 10 days or 80 years from now, might as well kill it”.

Spiritk9 on August 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM

The VA…………the only place that has waiting rooms to wait to get to the waiting room.

Maybe this is a another shovel ready project for the Chicago Jesus. Waiting rooms to die.

Knucklehead on August 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM

We are God’s is my partners in matters of life and death.” –Barack Obama

That’ll be the next line of crap from Osama Obama.

It will be a great day for American when the child-president walks out of the White House for the final time. Preferably to be served with an indictment when he reaches the front steps….

MrScribbler on August 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM

ObamaCare.

Killing millions of babies and old folks.

One Death Panel at a time.

faraway on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Barack Obama: liar, liar, pants a’fire.

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

What do you expect from a guy who won’t cover his heart when the National Anthem is played and doesn’t know basic protocol for acknowledging a soldier.

Disgusting and pathetic, this policy. Still shaking my head.

TXUS on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Shame on you people who voted for Obama by carelessly taking him on his campaign promises and not doing your home work to discover his real policies and goals…….

And a big F#CK YOU to those scumbags who still support this POS

I don’t care, I’m pissed…..throw the ban hammer at me if you must.

Jerome Horwitz on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I bet the Veterans Organizations are just going to LOVE this one.

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

This is just obscene.

bperiwinkle on August 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Did Cranky get the hammer yesterday? He’s MIA today.

kingsjester on August 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM

He’s at the espresso machine today, no time to chat on the interwebs.

thomasaur on August 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

For some reason, the Obama administration and Shinseki have reinstated the booklet this year. The directive reinstituting the booklet was issued last month.

Well there you go. The filthy liar in the White House and his pick for th VA have never been veteran friendly. Yes, I know that Shinseki is a retired general but he was never a soldier’s soldier. He like Wes Clark were polticians in uniform That’s why GWB saw fit to show him the door instead of giving him an extra year on the JCS.

highhopes on August 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Wrote that blank check 12 years ago and have come close to cashing it several times.

If this “Your Life, Your Choices” bull$hit ever comes up as I or any of the members of my platoon begin to deploy again I will tell that doc no matter his rank to stick it up his @ss. My men don’t need to be cedeing life in their minds, they need to be fighting for it.

thomashton on August 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

They’re just asking veterans to make the ultimate, last full measure sacrifice for the good of the budget. As we’ll all be pushed to do after our private health care has been stripped from us and we’ve become less productive.

Hey, I’ve got an idea for a simple cost-cutting health plan! Let’s get crystals implanted in our hands that start blinking when we’re 30, letting us know it’s time to visit the Hemlock Society. As long as the rest of us over 30 are let be, doesn’t sound too bad. It’ll have enough support then. It would take a few years to implement, so you 25 year-olds… sucks to be you. Say, this is just like a movie I remember seeing…

theCork on August 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I bet the Veterans Organizations are just going to LOVE this one.

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

As a vet, I’m pissed off beyond belief and will be writing my elected officials to express my displeasure.

highhopes on August 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

lorien1973 on August 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Did you read that article as if the addition of U.S. medical facilities was a highlight of the Canadian system and an example of their ability to cope and serve their patients? There seemed to be a bit of looking down their noses at the financial aspect of the care while not batting an eye at their lack of available treatment or facilities. Am I misunderstanding them because it sounds like bizarre rationalization to me. And what will they do when we are in the same boat?

Cindy Munford on August 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

jwp1964 on August 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Fellow angry vet here…not to worry…your message came in loud and clear.

coldwarrior on August 20, 2009

Absolutely. This is a palpable evil being perpetrated against wounded and ailing vets. Their sacrifice merits better than this. I am truly and deeply pissed.

SKYFOX on August 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I bet the Veterans Organizations are just going to LOVE this one.

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I have to wonder why none of this was mentioned in Phoenix last weekend, when Obama addressed the VFW Convention?

He made a lot of promises, pushed a lot more platitudes, and I found the applause to be, well, sickening.

Not the VFW I thought I knew.

coldwarrior on August 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I’m not sure I can even tell my husband about this. He may be a “crusty old vet” (as he refers to himself even though he’s only 28) but he’s still got some fight left in him.

thevastlane on August 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I spoke with my Dr. recently about problems I am currently having. He is under the impression that they are a result of my service in Iraq/Kuwait in 90-91. He wants me to go to the VA and I refuse. I have been there 1 time and I will never, ever put myself in that situation again. I can just go into town and ask the people walking by to kick me in the crotch instead and get the same feeling as going to the VA, and the people kickin me in the crotch would be a lot more friendly than the VA.

the Coondawg on August 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

myrenovations on August 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I am pretty sure we both made our points. I am disgusted.

Cindy Munford on August 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Cake or Death?!?

Death…. I MEAN CAKE!

No, no we heard you! You said death!

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Abby Adams on August 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM

He meant that he is equal to God, at least in matters of life and death. It pissed God off so much that God decided to smote Obama’s to make his life fail. And here we are!

GunRunner on August 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I think I’ve figured out Obama by now: he resents his life, he’s angry at the Grandparents for keeping him alive, he loathes his mother for the life she bore him, he dreams of that father that he’s romanticized because, essentially, the father by abandoning him, affirmed Obama’s resentments and lack of regard for his own existence.

Which explains his entire world view, exponentially magnified outward over time: Obama resents his life.

It also explains the substance abuse, the overeating via elaborate foods (defined in pattern as “gorging” which is an effort to stuff or silence)…

Obama resents his life and in that, has a gloomy, destructive view of life in general. That means, he’s eager to “consider” “alternatives”.

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Im disgusted too. How have we not heard about this? ugh

becki51758 on August 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Part of me believes Ogabe is a misanthropist

FontanaConservative on August 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM

From the “We support our troops” crowd.

No surprise here.

I’m a 62 year-old veteran. Need more ammo.

fogw on August 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM

This is kind of a big deal to me, as my father is a WWII era veteran who has never used his VA benefits. I have been looking into it for him, as he is running out of Medicare and Medigap benefits for his rehabilitation from a broken leg. Before his injury, he was suffering from depression, which is common in very old people who used to be very active and have been forced to slow down. He has outlived most of his friends. It would be easy to convince him that life is not worth living, despite the fact that my mother is still alive and needs him, he has five children and 8 grandchildren who revere him and visit him regularly, he is not poor, and lives in a nice place.

So I think I will not sign him up for VA benefits now. We’ll save the government a few bucks and keep our Dad.

rockmom on August 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Typical to Subzero Obama, I mean this is the same guy who opposed the born-alive treatment law, who thought it’s ok to make soldiers pay for service-related injuries, who kept his mouth shut while people were being slaughtered on the streets on Iran and now this.

What a cold, cold man.

Michelle Dubois on August 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Saving the VA hospital $20,000 is not the proper objective of “suicide missions.”

RBMN on August 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM

And (recalling a recent broadcast by Dr. Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist, on Glenn Beck’s show — about a month or so ago), I agree with Ablow’s perspectives about Obama, that he IS, indeed, a racist and that it represents real issues Obama would be well served to explore (as in, undergo some treatment for, as to why he is).

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Haysoos Marimba….those questions are depressing.

Why doesn’t the government rep just leave a single-shot pistol lying on the veterans bed and say, “Save us the trouble”.

The worst part is that this would include every one of us under OgabeScare.

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

According to MadLibertarian, this is ultimately their choice, so it’s not really evil at all. In fact, let’s give the guys who came up with it a medal.

/jackass

TMK on August 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Who or where do we write to raise He!! about this?

Cindy Munford on August 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Perhaps some of the “death panels” rhetoric was overblown

Not

bestwins on August 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM

For the Commander-in-Chief to encourage veterans who risked their lives for this country to die instead of seek medical care is despicable.

“God’s partner” Barry should be reminded of Deuteronomy 6:16–”You shall not put the LORD your God to the test.”

jcs78dds on August 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM

And the libs keep telling us that we have nothing to fear from ObamaCare, because it will be just like the VA.

MarkTheGreat on August 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Another cooked story with no solid proof whatsoever. EPIC FAIL

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Want me to get you a copy next time I go to the VA for surgery?

Johnnyreb on August 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Johnnyreb on August 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Only if he’ll take the advice.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Disgrace.

Are we allowed to call Obama un-American now???

red winger on August 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

These fools really aren’t paying attention, are they!

2008 RIP American Media :: A Corrupt Media Is No Longer A Free Media

Branch Rickey on August 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

You first, Eric.

Fletch54 on August 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

What a cold, cold man.

Michelle Dubois on August 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I agree with you there. His “coldness” is depression. He’s not seeking solutions to his problems and is, instead, projecting them upon “society” and “mankind” and using other grandiose targets instead, to direct his hostilities upon. That Obama would be quite so committed to — determined about — abortion and euthanasia (withholding medical care to a child born after a botched abortion, which is entirely monstrous) just affirms severely how little he values life. Which means, he hates it. He does not respect life, he devalues it to such an extent as to indicate truly a decrepit disgust with his own.

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

This would be the same VA that offers PTSD counseling, right?

Star20 on August 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM

i am grateful i have good insurance, the va center in philly is the worst in the system, me thinks anyway plus the neiborhood it’s in is pretty effed up…

SHARPTOOTH on August 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on recruiting numbers.

Chiasmos on August 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I bet the Veterans Organizations are just going to LOVE this one.

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I canceled my membership in VFW and American Legion because of their nob gobblin for Obama and the dems.

farright on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM

This government disgusts me.

myrenovations on August 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Yeah, this is worse than appalling. Men and women who often have literally given parts of themselves for their country, and they are encouraged to turn down treatments that may help them or to commit suicide.

It sort of makes a mockery of the wonderful and successful efforts to improve medical care by the first responders and field hospitals in the field, doesn’t it.

ProfessorMiao on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I am beyond outraged at this. I’d have more to say, if my thoughts weren’t so out of whack due to my anger upon reading this.

I feel that gone are the days in which we proudly did our time and served our country, and spent our days being respected for the sacrifices we’ve made. Now, we’re hated by the people we signed up to protect and fight for, and treated as if we’re disposable by our own government back home.

Anna on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I’m glad US servicemembers are entering the meat grinder in Afghanistan

dying so men can starve their women

Then coming back to this

blatantblue on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Bullets cost money, and the staff would probably steal the weapon. Why not just build a snazzy looking balcony on the top floor, with roll-out ramps? On a clear day, you can see forever. :-)

Stays beyond a day or so in a VA hospital are generally depressing…are depressing. When fellow wardmates have to help a vet change the bed linens because he soiled them and the “staff” would not answer a call button, or were in conference/coffee break/watching TV, it doesn’t make the stay any more enjoyable for the vet…save that he knows his fellow vets will try to look out for him better than the staff will.

In my advanced directive paperwork, I have expressly forbidden my kids from sending me to any VA facility should I become incapacitated.

coldwarrior on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM