Dobbs: Where are the jobs, Mr. President?

posted at 5:55 pm on August 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Notice that this segment from Lou Dobbs came last night, before today’s announcement that unemployment increased yet again last week. Dobbs has been the most skeptical CNN host of HopeandChangeTM, but even with that in mind, this segment uses almost 5 minutes to hammer the White House on its broken promises on jobs and unemployment. That’s a pretty extraordinary scolding for CNN, and it suggests that the media may have reached its limit on ignoring the obvious:

The town-hall outrage this month may have sent a message to more than just Congress. Suddenly, it’s quite obvious that a wide swath of America has no confidence in Barack Obama’s competence, especially on fiscal issues as well as health care. The uptick in unemployment undermines Obama’s leadership and Democrats in general on the Porkulus bill, for which we still have hundreds of billions of dollars in commitments. That anger may have taken the media by surprise — and Dobbs may not be the last to lash out at a bumbling and expensive White House and Congress.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My collie says:

*sniff* *sniff* What’s that smell?

It’s unemployment, collie…simmering. Why don’t you stick around and see what happens when it reaches the boiling point?

CyberCipher on August 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Nah. I drilled some pretty dense rock in my career.

We called it liberalite.

Yoop on August 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM

was it as good for you as it was for the rock. ;)

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Incidentally, it’s amazing that both you and liberal343 leave off periods and have similar names.

amerpundit on August 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Nail head… meet hammer. ;-)

Yoop on August 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM

…I will admit the stimulus has worked far beyond my expectation.

I know I wouldn’t have gotten my new job if not for it.

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Shades of Chrissy Mathews. Makes me want to heave.

JonRoss on August 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM

CyberCipher on August 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM

CC, are you sure you want that?

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

This is silly. Nobody expected him to turn things around immediately by magically waving his hand.

Look, come November 2010, if things havent turned around, then you’ll have reason to complain. And Dems will do lousy in the midterms. There’s not much reason to crow about it now. The only political remedy for you folks is still ~14 months away.

orange on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

MadisonConservative on August 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

No private sector jobs have been created by porkulus and porkulus has only created a small number of temporary government jobs.

LiberalEva, if you made that statement at the unemployment office where I was today, I would have to guard you as you ran. You are completely out to lunch. Everyone in teh really real world can see that Bozo is a complete failure.

Everything he touches has turned to sheep dip.

It’s “Wee Wee’d up”

dogsoldier on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I didn’t see anything L. If not for you I’d be unaware. Fishy stuff though. Eagle called it saying they’d probably head towards western Africa.

Russians went Red October on that ship so you know sumtin is up.

elduende on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I smell a government Job.

chemman on August 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM

was it as good for you as it was for the rock. ;)

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM

When the copper , silver or gold was visible to the naked eye in the rock coming out of the core tube, well, I have to admit I got my rocks off. =8-)

Yoop on August 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM

They are in Brazil… with 10 billion of the U.S. money.

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM
+100

Obama campaign for more jobs, he never said they would be American Jobs. He is a Globalist of the worst kind.

portlandon on August 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM

You are both so very right! We need to hammer this whole Brazilian oil loan thingy to force the MSM to cover it.
I am a cyber-goober, so don’t know how to send a link, but C&Pd Ed’s article (Credited)and included Bishop’s (I think…forgive me sir if you weren’t the author) musing about Soros being the puppet master to several (so-called)journalists and dared them to at least investigate the connection. So far, CRICKETS!.
I then sent it to a local conservative talk show host who is very involved in the St. Louis Tea Party movement (and closely associated with Bill Hennessey, AKA Gatewaypundit).
We shall see, but the next leg of the conservative revolt, IMHO, is that we need to hammer the members of the MSM to cover some of these stories that they are ignoring.
Hey gang, we have made major strides in pointing out the hypocracy and astroturfing of the people who are being disruptive at townhalls being actually libs in conservative clothing. Keep it up. Never let up, never let up, never let up!
I haven’t seen a bunch about the national protest this weekend at all the congressional and senatorial offices, and we have a dockdog competition at Ill. State Fair in Springfield, so are unable to attend. But,I hope the turnout is in droves,and I will–in spirit–be attending the gatherings at the offices of Russ Carnahan, Claire McCatastropy, Lacey (Town hall meetings? What town hall meetings) Clay, Todd Akin and Kit-I never-met-a-martini-I-didn’t-love-Bond’s offices.
They are counting on us becoming complacent.
Keep hammering gang, we are winning!
Bambi needs a diaper czar to change his undies for him.

Chewy the Lab on August 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Are you saying the stock market magically recovered after Obama took office and not because of his policies? Wow

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Nope. That’s normal ebb and flow of the market. No magic or magical negro needed.

thomashton on August 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

CC, are you sure you want that?

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Alas, “what I want” seems to have very little to do with these sorts of things.

My collie says:

The mistake that humans make is that they try to find a rational reason for everything. There may be reasons for things, but only RARELY are they rational.

CyberCipher on August 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM

liberal343 vs liberal4eva (shapeshifters unite!)

This thread

Russian navy is a joke. That all you need to know

liberal343 on August 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Now this thread..

Who cares what Russia does? their military is a joke

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Back OT…
The job market news is going to tank the Christmas season sales. Look for January to be renamed PinkSlipuary.

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I tip my hat, Holmes.

MadisonConservative on August 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I wouldn’t get to attached to your job. The stimulus money runs out in 2 years at the most. :)

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

The stock market recovered because Adam Smith said so. I will admit that his economic theories are hard to understand for most people who like government intervention into the marketplace but they do still apply. When the Dow was at 6400 or so and quite a few stocks were at record lows it was only natural that they would be bought. Sadly all of the economic data out now says this is a bear rally and things are not looking to get better this year.

txaggie on August 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM

While i am no longer a big fan of Obama partly because of his wavering around on the public option, I will admit the stimulus has worked far beyond my expectation.

I know I wouldn’t have gotten my new job if not for it.

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

And what are you going to after you’re done scrubbing the Lincoln Memorial?

Chuck Schick on August 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I’m so very pleased that you are getting paid to be a troll. Used-to-be, there wasn’t much money in living under a bridge and eating passing livestock.

Chewy the Lab on August 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

You know I love you like my old socks. ;)

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

:) Shucks! Ain’t nuttin like old socks!

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

orange on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

69,498,215 Morons expected exactly that from The One.

David2.0 on August 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I think it is going to be awhile before we see 4.5% again.

Terrye on August 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
You know I love you like my old socks. ;)

upinak on August 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Socks, nothing! I love his sleuthing like my old bra…

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM

My employer is now accepting only picture perfect resumes and job applications. One mistake it is roundfiled. That is no joke. HR sent the word out about two months ago. You leave one thing blank, cross one thing out, add one bit of info that wasn’t asked for…..kerrrrrrrrrflush!

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Chewy the Lab on August 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Exactly. Enjoy it while you can cause the money will run out, and then you will be back in line…

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Wow. I can’t believe I missed that thread on the Russian freighter yesterday. Sorry I got Off topic here.

elduende on August 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Add info? I can understand the other stuff, but usually HR likes it if you volunteer stuff they can’t ask you…

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I also agree with Limerick – January is going to be bleak.

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

My employer is like Disney on steroids. The chopping block is standard equipment in every cubicle.

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM

amerpundit on August 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Check this out too; no punctuation and “343″ in one of the names. This troll has a propensity to use numbers:

Republican party needs to understand that Obama’s approval rating will never go below 50%
he poles very good with Blacks and Hispanics. That overrides the bigot vote
money2 on March 31, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Democrats have both the black and Hispanic vote + the liberal vote also. The bigot vote is not enough to override
nice343 on March 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

It is interesting that with the health care debate raging on, we haven’t heard about these numbers on the MSM. Wait, I guess it isn’t that amazing.

By the way did the budget reports that were held up at the end of July ever come out? I cannot find them and am afaid I just missed it in the fog of war…

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

BTW, that was from the exact same thread no less.

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

orange on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Bull all the way around.

It’s been seven months and things are only getting worse, Ogabe campaigned on putting things on track right away, and he pushed a trillion dollar stimulus through on the premise that it would immediately have an effect.

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM

-500,000 a month is the new 3,000,000 to 4,000,000

Ampersand on August 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

You ol’ dawg you. Remind me not to get you after me.

HoustonRight on August 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Bishop on August 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Clearly it’s the same person. Unless… er… all liberals are similarly challenged.

John the Libertarian on August 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM

When it comes to the economic recovery, the real estate and housing businesses are in very different places.

Though sales of existing homes appear to be bouncing back—as cheap foreclosure properties attract vulture investors and first-time buyers—the market for new homes remains stuck below sea level.

ICBM on August 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM

ICBM on August 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Don’t forget the coming commercial real estate implosion.

HoustonRight on August 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I thought all Obama had to do was wave his holy hands, and HEAL the unemployment problem….

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

His supporters forgot this isn’t a D&D game.

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM

His supporters forgot this isn’t a D&D game.

Limerick on August 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM

so you’re saying God is only Obama’s (PBUH) partner in life and death, NOT economics?

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

thomashton on August 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Actually….the obamaton has a case here. The fed bought up 300bln in bonds in march, which was essentially a direct injection of cash to the bond market. That money has slowly percolated through the markets, and combined with banks reporting profits during that first quarter, was enough to stabilize the market.

That injection will dilute the overall market value because it’s made up capital (think of just printing money) and the government will have to sell new, higher interest bonds to get the 300 bln back into the coffers(plus the bonds to support the porkulus) so in the long run it’s not so good, but hey Obamabi had his career to save.

Fighton03 on August 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Have the oceans healed yet? Or is that after health care reform?

David2.0 on August 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Have the oceans healed yet? Or is that after health care reform?

David2.0 on August 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM

he’s ONLY got 2 hands….and he’s working as hard as he can, to take care of us, capiche??

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Actually….the obamaton has a case here. The fed bought up 300bln in bonds in march, which was essentially a direct injection of cash to the bond market. That money has slowly percolated through the markets, and combined with banks reporting profits during that first quarter, was enough to stabilize the market… Fighton03

It was/is an illusion of stability as the FED wrote a check to pay for the money borrowed from the FED. But, they did it in a particularly stinky way by buying back from the original purchaser ten days after the original sale. We called that kiting a check when I was in college. You could do it with impunity over a long weekend and finance hotdogs and cheap beer. But in this case, there’s no check from mom waiting in the mailbox. And with the advent of electronic transfers the illegality became obvious. Unfortunately the masses (my sociology teacher spelled this: them asses) see only the numbers and not the reality. If we manage to remain a nation, my grandson will be paying this debt as will his grandson. The situation is overwhelmingly depressing.

Crusader Rabbit on August 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM

You guys are the … troll hunters!!

catlady on August 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM

ooh, they mentioned the under-employed too… not a good sign for potus. They normally only mention that during gop admins. Ooh, and they mentioned that you need to add 100k+ jobs just to maintain employment level to meet growing population… apparently, they don’t know they are only supposed to mention facts like that when republicans are in office… this is just bizarre.

painfulTruthDisciple on August 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM

…I will admit the stimulus has worked far beyond my expectation.

I know I wouldn’t have gotten my new job if not for it.

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Naw–you were just shovel-ready!!

chickasaw42 on August 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

You do realize that the ‘public plan’ that you and all your lefty loons want is going to kill this country, right? You are willing to sacrifice 15% of our GDP for 3.5-5% of the American population. Notice I use American population, because if you are not a citizen, or a legal guest of this country, you should be dropped of at the nearest border (or ocean). I am tired of you libs and your fuzzy math, adding illegal immigrants, people who can afford insurance but don’t have it, and people who are covered by existing programs but haven’t applied for some reason to your ‘uninsured’ numbers just to make it seem bigger than it is. I know you ‘guys’ are used to compensating for something, but you don’t need to apply it everywhere.

Want to lower costs, increase competition, and make health care more accessible to everyone? So do I. You can do that just by lifting the interstate regulations against insurance. But I can see in your blind devotion to the Marxist way, you only want to destroy this nation.

Wolftech on August 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Wolftech has a keen eye for the obvious, but it is such an obvious truth that the leftyloons will never see it–or if they do, will never admit it. I suggest you add to that excellent concept the elimination of anchor babies and chain migration and build the dang fence and we could effectively reduce or eliminate a huge burden on real Americans.

Crusader Rabbit on August 20, 2009 at 8:26 PM

The only way to bring competition to the health insurance marketplace is to introduce a government run insurance company to compete with the existing giants that are already there.
Relaxing the interstate rules for health insurance companies will do nothing. These insurance companies are too small to compete hence the reason why they couldn’t even compete in the existing state they are in.
We already compromised by giving up the single payer. Why can’t republicans meet us half way with the public option. It’s always the our way or the highway with conservatives.

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Obama told us America was gonna get jobbed and that is one promise he did keep.

The recovery begins when Obama and Biden lose their jobs.

NoDonkey on August 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Jobs don’t grow on trees, you know!

Well, actually, the way ‘Green Jobs’ work is that they DO grow on trees but first you have to plant them, and that doesn’t take many people and then, while they grow, you don’t need anyone to tend the trees and then you only need a few jobs to cut down the trees to get the jobs… then you have jobs! From trees…

That is the order of ‘reasoning’ we can get from the current Administration and the Left. The idea of ‘industry’ and ‘manufacturing’ and ‘blue collar jobs’ are, apparently, not in their lexicon.

ajacksonian on August 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

only a brain-dead brown-shirt fascist liberal idiot could believe drivel like that.

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 9:34 PM

really stupidliberal4evah? Where are your facts? Oh yeah, you and your ilk don’t need no stink’n facts to back up your ideologiocy…

jbh45 on August 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

cableguy615 on August 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

No. Should public option be instated, 99% of private employers would drop their existing private insurance coverage for the public option thanks to the idiotic required health care. That kills the private insurance companies and a large part of our economy goes poof. All thanks to idiots that do not understand things like math and reading comprehension and people who seem to forget what being a citizen actually means. The moment the private insurers are gone, then the rationing begins. You think it wont? The government couldn’t even pull off Cash 4 Clunkers at 3 billion, what makes you think they can pull of public health care? When has any business the government ran ever been successful? The post office? Nope, 7 billion dollar shortfall this year and they are over a billion dollars in debt already (and dont even bring up FedEx/UPS… they operate under a strict law the prevents them from directly competing with the USPS). Medicare? Nope. Social Security? Nope, that becomes insolvent in 2-25 years depending on which numbers you look at(and this administration and the lefties already have a history of cooking the books to suit their needs… they make Enron look like financial geniuses). Hell, when the government took over the Mustang Ranch, they couldn’t even keep it afloat long enough to resell it, and that is selling hookers and alcohol.

The only way to fix the health care system is by removing the interstate trade restrictions and by removing the biggest burden to the health care system, illegal aliens (I do not call them immigrants. Immigrants apply to come here and don’t sneak over our border and steal from us).

It is about time people start taking personal responsibility for their own lives and stop suckling at the governments teat. If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day then stand around waiting for you to give him another one tomorrow. If you teach a man to fish, he goes out and gets his own, there by lessening the burden on the others who caught the fish the government gave that lazy SOB in the first scenario.

Wolftech on August 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Afrolib on August 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

The first part in italics is stupid.

The bolded part doesn’t make any sense. You call the insurance companies “giants” in the first sentence, then turn around and say they’re too small to be competitive.

The bolded italics is really more honesty than I expected from the left.

citrus on August 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM

The bolded italics is really more honesty than I expected from the left.

citrus on August 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM

This was supposed to refer to this, only the italics ended up in the wrong place:

We already compromised by giving up the single payer.

citrus on August 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM

orange on August 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM

WRONG!

There is a process called “recall” moron. And your insinuation that we should STFU is insulting. What is silly is you libtards being absolutely unwilling to take responsibility for your failures. What is silly is you libtards claiming that porkulus was immediately necessary in order to prevent the apocalypse. What is silly is your precedent claiming porkulus would prevent unemployment from going above 8%. Take your own advice and STFU!

jdkchem on August 20, 2009 at 10:27 PM

citrus on August 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Now you just need to learn how to bend over and accept reality. On the other hand if you’re so infatuated with government health care move to Cuba.

jdkchem on August 20, 2009 at 10:30 PM

citrus on August 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM

oops, Perhaps I put you on the wrong side of the fence.

jdkchem on August 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM

So…you ARE a fool after all?

xblade on August 20, 2009 at 11:50 PM

If it wasn’t for the stimulus I wouldn’t get paid to troll.

liberal4eva on August 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Actually, that is funny. A troll with a sense of humor! As shallow as Getalife, but at least not a twisted personality like Afrolib.

GunRunner on August 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM

The Administrations war on small businesses is just heating up. As others have noted, Ogabe has not even addressed small business, even in the wake of the Health Care implosion.

Small Business is the future, it fosters growth, it leads to innovation and it builds jobs.

The trouble is that most DOCTORS run small businesses, their Practice. If you want the Doctors to work for the government, you have to break their wealth, their “staying power”. You attack who pays them, the insurance industry. You attack their savings and real estate by going after banks, you attack them Professionally, by implying that they are sucking money out of you for unnecessary operations and that they are corrupt and are willing to cut parts out of you for cash, you attack anyone whose income is over $250,000, like successful Doctors. In short, you don’t want Doctors HIRING, you want them isolated and weak, so that they feel their only hope is to work for Government.

GunRunner on August 21, 2009 at 1:20 AM

That’s a pretty extraordinary scolding for CNN

I think you are right. Lou Dobss has always been up front, but the news short backed him up.

The money is going to shore up underfunded government jobs. All that does is make the tax needs greater to retain these government positions, and this is time of falling tax revenues due to underemployment

The pols could not resist. The first fruits of the stimulus would come back about election time. Had they required the first stimulus bucks flow to new employment only, the DEMs would have reaped much. Now it is too late

Dobbs is great. I wish there were more like him. He doesn’t need a panel of screaming lawyers and operatives to get a point across

entagor on August 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Crusader Rabbit on August 20, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Hey bro!

CrusaderRabbit on August 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM

right4life on August 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Right: O is saving that for the healthcare of America!!!

chai on August 21, 2009 at 7:04 AM

citrus on August 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM

oops, Perhaps I put you on the wrong side of the fence.

jdkchem on August 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Going back and re-reading my own comment now, I can’t tell if I’m a moonbat or a conservative either, but I can assure you it is most definitely the latter!

citrus on August 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM