Video: Don’t forget about ObamaCare and abortion

posted at 3:55 pm on August 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Later this evening, Barack Obama will meet with religious leaders in an effort to press home the What Would Jesus/Elijah/Mohammed/Buddha Cover argument. Obama wants to get some support from faith-based communities by arguing that government management of health care is the only way to provide for all in America, an argument that has not worked at all so far. Sixteen leaders of the pro-life movement want to remind those meeting with President Obama that the bill will result in taxpayer-funded abortion on demand:

The confirmation of this comes from Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), who told a town-hall forum in her San Jose district that she’s happy to pay for abortions with taxpayer funds:

On the campaign trail, Obama told Planned Parenthood that the Freedom of Choice Act, which would eliminate state restrictions on abortion and repeal the Hyde Amendment ban on federal funding for it, would be his first legislative priority. ObamaCare allows him to pass FOCA without the head-on fight. If the public option remains in the bill and it covers abortion, that will have the de facto effect of repealing the Hyde Amendment. The interstate nature of ObamaCare and the public plan may also allow the Department of Justice to fight state abortion restrictions, such as parental notification, on the grounds that the regulations interfere with interstate commerce. It’s FOCA by other means.

From Stop the Abortion Mandate’s press release:

Stop the Abortion Mandate coalition is urging its members to contact their elected officials, attend Townhall meetings to ask if their representative supports taxpayer funded abortion and make their voices heard on this important issue. …

Other supposedly Christian groups are attempting to speak for all Christians and pro-lifers and are including President Obama in their propaganda to Americans. One such group is holding a national webcast this evening to promote the healthcare bill, taxpayer funded abortion included.

“Don’t be fooled by double speak and rhetoric,” said David Bereit, national director of 40 Days for Life and a member of STAM. “No true pro-life or Christian group would be support a bill that mandates abortion.”

With Lofgren’s statement on abortion coverage in ObamaCare, it’s difficult to see how faith-based communities can act in faith to support a government takeover of the health-care system. As STAM says, call your elected representatives to register your opposition, but also take the time to ask these leaders of faith communities to explain their positions, because it looks as though they have a different agenda in allying with the White House for this plan.

Update: The NRLC explains how HR3200 enables government funding of abortions, even apart from Lofgren’s rather clear statement above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This next month should be very interesting for Dear Leader.

d1carter on August 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Death Panels in the bill are at Planned Parenthod.

Christian Conservative on August 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Jesus was a community healthcare provider.

LibTired on August 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

OT: Over 45,000 NHS staff call in sick every day, which is lowering standards of patient care, according to the first national NHS Health and Wellbeing Review into staff habits.

When it all pays the same, why work harder?

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM

thanks liberal, just reminded me of the girl I sponsor in Africa….

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM

He doesn’t value life….that much is fact.

search4truth on August 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM

liberals: the ones who use Jesus to both push their message, and the one whom they denigrate to push their message. Ultimately, he’ll be the one they’ll answer to for those choices.

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM

compassion: not a word that enters into the discussion regarding abortion.

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Don’t forget that the bill provides for a committee that will decide the minimum that all health insurance providers must cover.

What are the odds that such a committee will decide that all insurance companies must provide free abortion services?

MarkTheGreat on August 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM

How can the left expect conservative taxpayers to support something as morally repugnant as abortion? I am disgusted, any religious group that backs this healthcare bill has lost all moral authority.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I will run for office in IL, increase the income tax by 1 point, and give the money to the less fortunate. Look how compassionate I am.

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM

On the other hand, the odds of her paying for abortions from her personal funds range somewhere between zero and none.

MarkTheGreat on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

And how, exactly, by fighting to defend an unborn child’s life does that not define compassion? I suppose sucking the brains out and discarding the child in a dumpster is the humane thing to do.

search4truth on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM

in the discussion of abortion, liberals bend compassion to equate to selfishness. They bend choice to be equated with murder, and theft as equated with giving.

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Hey Allah… second look at IP addresses?

LibTired on August 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

How will they handle on-demand abortions with wait lists? A liberal can only wait so long when preggers. After birth, I believe that even liberals agree it would be murder.

PBoilermaker on August 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Elaborate, 500 or more words, please.

daesleeper on August 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

So you measure your compassion based on how much of other people’s money you are willing to give away?

MarkTheGreat on August 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Can one buy abortion insurance or must one get that from the government?

d1carter on August 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

well of course she is. Liberals love to pay for everything out of taxpayer funds. They then denigrate the taxpayer who would question how or why they’d do it.

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I’d like to pay for a baseball bat out of Zoe’s paycheck and beat her with it, but I won’t….

ted c on August 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

All this is hidden under expressions such as womens health and un mentioned insurance mandates.

seven on August 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Hey Allah… second look at IP addresses?

LibTired on August 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I have not seen this handle up till now and liberal343′s demise.

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I can hear Barry now;

“Let me make this clear. I never said I believed in public funded abortions. I also did not say that I am against public funded abortions, but we don’t want some little girl “punished” with a baby, just because she made a mistake. It is like comparing the Post Office to UPS. What’s important is that we put aside politics and move together, not as red states or blue states, but the United States. In closing, if there is anybody here who tells you that I am wrong, or that I am a liar, or that I am trying to mislead you, please send their name and address to me.”

Star20 on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

how did 343 get the hammer?

PBoilermaker on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Hmm, I don’t think I can accept your statement on face value.

Is there any evidence that supports the claim that you have ever “thought”?

malclave on August 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM

If we lose this fight, we may find out What Jesus Will do.

fourdeucer on August 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM

If we lose this fight, we may find out What Jesus Will do.

fourdeucer on August 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Wow, succinctly and well stated.

daesleeper on August 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM

how did 343 get the hammer?

PBoilermaker on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

See Headline thread: Disgrace: Swedish paper prints blood libel about Israel harvesting Arab organs

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM

In addition to abortion, that’s also a key to turning a government option into single-payer.

Obama says he wants the government option to be non-profit and self-sustaining (contradiction in terms, but let’s go with it for the sake of argument). The only way to cut costs is to ration and cut services (not allowed due to the minimum that all health insurance providers must cover) or go bankrupt. It goes bankrupt. Government bails it out and takes over. Private insurers go bye-bye.

Daggett on August 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM

But, but, but….Rachel Maddow told me just the other night that this is a myth, and that only stupid people who watch Fox News believe it!!!11!!1!1!!

rockmom on August 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM

If we lose this fight, we may find out What Jesus Will do.

fourdeucer on August 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM

That almost makes me want to lose.

Daggett on August 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

How will they get around the Hyde amendment?

d1carter on August 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I have not seen this handle up till now and liberal343’s demise.

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

and a Google search for the name shows nothing as well.

F15Mech on August 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Then you aren’t paying for it. I am. And I do object.

rbj on August 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Ironically, abortions would likely be the ONLY elective procedure covered under the government option as cost pressures rise.

michaelo on August 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

The foundation for your “compassion,” is your confiscation of the earnings of others, to achieve what you want. “Compassion” should be from the heart, as Jesus desired. Not from State dictate – and confiscation.

Jesus told us to “give.” He said nothing about State confiscation in order to achieve your desired goals.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

how did 343 get the hammer?

PBoilermaker on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

See Disgrace: Swed Blood Libel post in headlines.

Disturb the Universe on August 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Am I missing something here?

Ed, is your ‘proof’ that on demand abortion is covered the vid of the Dem saying she would support it if it was in the bill?

Is that it?

Can I see a page cite from the house bill please?

How does saying it will cover abortion when Obama will just say it doesn’t help here without a source cite from the bill?

frumian on August 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

rockmom on August 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Somehow, I don’t believe this is an issue that concerns her.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:14 PM

and a Google search for the name shows nothing as well.

F15Mech on August 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I think liberal343 stocked up on some handles during the last registration and now is liberal4eva.

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

The problem I see about abortion being included (and oddly enough being discussed in the reconcilliation topic)is it is in obvious violation of the first amendment by requiring people into a position where they have to either choose their relegion or their state (and pay taxes that violate their relegion). This is a very clear violation of the free exercise portion of the amendment.

TKSnider on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

See Disgrace: Swed Blood Libel post in headlines.

Disturb the Universe on August 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I didn’t see anything.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Don’t be fooled by double speak and rhetoric,” said David Bereit, national director of 40 Days for Life and a member of STAM. “No true pro-life or Christian group would support a bill that mandates abortion.”

David Bereit, unfortunately, appears to be a bigot against many mainstream Protestant groups, which are pro-choice to varying degrees. I’m contacting my representatives to ask why they are listening to someone who criticizes many mainstream Protestants for practicing their faith.

Jimbo3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Granny Mae will need to hire a Fetus Czar

faraway on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

how did 343 get the hammer?

PBoilermaker on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I would guess it was after posting the same tired, meaningless statement in every thread, regardless of whether it was germaine to the discussion.

OUT: “universal healthcare will pass regardless. the dems have the votes.”

IN: “Compassion—A word conservatives know nothing about. I thought they were the ones who were Christians.”

At least the idiot finally discovered the “shift” key.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

PBoilermaker on August 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Here’s the historic moment:

I wouldn’t put anything past the Zionist.

liberal343 on August 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM
No, sorry. I can take you dumping on the right in every thread but winking at an anti-semitic canard is too far. Farewell.

Allahpundit on August 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Disturb the Universe on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

It sure would be nice to know who actually wrote this abortion of a ‘Health Care’ bill……………

Seven Percent Solution on August 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Daggett on August 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM

If the government covers a minimum level of treatment and leaves room for people to pay for better coverage then there could be a functioning subsidy for the poor. The problem with the government is that they’ll be unable to ration.

There shouldn’t be an incentive to stay on whatever the government gives away.

dedalus on August 19, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I didn’t see anything.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

See above for my cut and paste.

Disturb the Universe on August 19, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Oops. Only meant to emphasize the “Christian group” part of the quote. Sorry.

Jimbo3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM

How will they get around the Hyde amendment?

d1carter on August 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

About 3 weeks ago I read that the final bill would include a provision repealing it.

elduende on August 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM

OT tip: Don;t let your high school kid drive to school the first week. Every year there is an accident during the first week of high school that is a few blocks south of my business. This year’s addition, 16 car smash up.

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:19 PM

The reason Obama has no problem with abortion is that he doesn’t see a newborn as a human being.

Witness his response at the Saddleback Forum to the question: “When is a BABY entitled to human rights?” Answer: Above my paygrade.

Also, his Science Czar has actually written that, given proper care and nutrition, a infant WILL BECOME a human being.

The man is evil.

Carol in MD on August 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM

search4truth on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM
WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM
et al

Don’t feed the Communist.

Akzed on August 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM

WashJeff on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Yes, the timing of “liberal4eva” showing up just now after “liberal343″ being banned is quite the coincidence.

lorien1973 on August 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM

All I want to know is; will penile implants be covered?

DDT on August 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

All I want to know is; will penile implants be covered?

DDT on August 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Only for women in Pelosi’s district.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Ah–I believe Oh! supported law in Illinois that prevented giving medical care to baby after botched abortion delivered it alive. (The one time he defended doctors.)
So I would not hang my hat on believing libs would agree what murder would be. Granny may be finding out soon enough as well!

chickasaw42 on August 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM

This is a very clear violation of the free exercise portion of the amendment.

TKSnider on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Hmm is that kind of like this claim….

The Church of Jesus Christ Christian, et.al., vs. Senator Barack Hussein Obama, et.al., #08-3205-CV-S-AFS

The “church” claimed that a black president was against their religion.

Or maybe it’s like the Rastafarians that claim denying them pot is against their religion?

frumian on August 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM

All I want to know is; will penile implants be covered?

DDT on August 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Trojans sold separately

faraway on August 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Brush up on the giant disparity between what conservatives give to charity compared to what little liberals do, then talk to us, dumbass.

Patrick S on August 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM

TKSnider on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Even Christ allowed that Caesar could have his money and do what he wanted–and Roman Emperors did some pretty cruel things with the money.

The First Amendment doesn’t allow you to not pay your taxes for religious reasons. If it did, the churches that taught that all taxation was sinful would be very crowded on Sunday.

dedalus on August 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM

and a Google search for the name shows nothing as well.

F15Mech on August 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I didn’t know this could be done! Ya’ll have to clue me in once in a while!

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Ah–I believe Oh! supported law in Illinois that prevented giving medical care to baby after botched abortion delivered it alive. chickasaw42 on August 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Indeed he did. You see, if it involves killing babies, he’s all for it. His big important advisor Ezekiel Emanuel thinks that preemies and the youngest infants shouldn’t be treated, you know, if it’s too expensive.

Hussein Obooba: kicking infants to the curb since 2004.

Akzed on August 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM

OT:
Cavuto: Dems now asking insurance companies for financial records and business plans.

Congress just leveling the playing field. Yup, this is the “government option” in play.

d1carter on August 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM

lorien1973 on August 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Here’s an advanced “Going Away” present for liberal4eva.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM

d1carter on August 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Haha

WOW!

They really don’t have a plan.

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

frumian on August 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Do we have to draw you a map? Liberal bureaucrats will be writing the standards for all private insurance policies that will be allowed in the “exchange” as well as the standards for coverage in the public plan. Do you really expect them NOT to cover abortion? At the very least, there will be a ridiculously easy threshold for abortions that are deemed “medically necessary.” And even if there are no explicit requirements or abortion coverage, what liberal bureaucrats or Democrat-controlled Congressional oversight committee do you expect to enforce this and make sure no abortions are funded?

There was an explicit amendment offered to the Waxman bill that would prohibit either direct coverage for abortion in the public plan or from any mandates for abortion coverage in the exchange. The amendment failed on party lines.

rockmom on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Obama says that having your tonsils removed or your foot amputated drives up the cost of medicare/insurance.

Abortion is elective surgery, no?

TN Mom on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

TK, the First Amendment, as interpreted by US Supreme Court and other decisions, only prohibits the government from favoring one religion over another, establishing a state-sponsored religion or favoring religion (or secularism) over secularism (or religion). It doesn’t pertain to this.

However, almost all states have laws that, to some degree, give some health care workers the right to opt out of procedures they feel violate their religion.

Jimbo3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

liberal343 was banned today? When and where.

kingsjester on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

ABORTION IS MURDER! ABORTION IS MURDER! DURRRRR! lol, shut up.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

ABORTION IS MURDER! ABORTION IS MURDER! DURRRRR! lol, shut up.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

You are such a loser. You think this subject is funny? You are sick.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Abortion is elective surgery, no?

TN Mom on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Abortion is surgery? I thought it was just massive life suctioning.

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

MEMO

TO: Libs, Statists and Misguided Clerics

You want to kill babies — or fetuses, in your lingo — have at it. But use your own damn money, and certainly not a dime of mine. And pray for yourself, too. I have neither the time nor inclination to do so. I’ll save my prayers for the dead babies you’ve murdered.

Do you get me, sweethearts?

TXUS on August 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

liberal343 was banned today? When and where.

kingsjester on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Headlines (can’t link to the exact post)

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Child sacrifice is always a holy sacrament of pagan societies.

daesleeper on August 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM

You are such a loser. You think this subject is funny? You are sick.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

No just you are.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM

No just you are.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Terry, that has got to be your best come back yet!

I’ll give you a gold star, now.

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

No just you are.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Is that your version of “I know you are, but what am I?”

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

You just made me spit all over my work monitor.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

liberal4eva on August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Good example of the Alinsky tactic of trying to make people feel like they aren’t living up to their own ideals. Sorry, no sale. You don’t get to define compassion for me.

venividivici on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Terry Silver, aged three years, defends her inane position thusly, ‘nana bu bu’, thereby lowering the level of debate to that of liberals.

daesleeper on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Is that your version of “I know you are, but what am I?”

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I think it’s a slightly higher form of the 10 year old come back, “Yo mama.”

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

There is actually a proposed compromise. See http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/aug/07/john-boehner/boehner-says-democrats-health-care-plan-would-lead.

Actual tax dollars would not be used to pay for abortions (except as now permitted by the Hyde Amendment) and abortions would not be part of the basic plan. Premiums would be segregated and used to pay for abortions.

Americans United for Life and the National Right to Life think this is a bookkeeping scam, but technically no tax dollars would be used for abortions (again, except as permitted by the Hyde Amendment). So the compromise essentially maintains the current status quo.

Jimbo3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

liberal343 was banned today? When and where.
kingsjester on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

See “Disturb the Universe on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM” for details.

In the meantime, I’m waiting for AP to announce that he compared the IPaddresses of liberal343 and this liberal4eva, and this reincarnation is now history as well.

Patrick S on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Here’s a newsflash, Skippy. That life growing inside a woman? It sure ain’t a puppy. By the way, do you still think baldilocks is a white racist?

kingsjester on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Terry, that has got to be your best come back yet!

I’ll give you a gold star, now.

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Thank you sir.

ABORTION IS MURRRRDDDDERRRRRRR!!!!! There are millions of murderers among us!

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I think it’s a slightly higher form of the 10 year old come back, “Yo mama.”

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

LOL.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM

daesleeper on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

It’s Mr. Terry.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM

The legislation delegates to the Secretary of Health and Human Services the power to make unlimited abortion a mandated benefit in the “public health insurance plan” the government will manage nationwide. This would be a radical change: Federal law has long excluded most abortions from federal employees’ health benefits packages, and no federal health program mandates coverage of elective abortions.

From a letter by Cardinal Rigali to the house of representitives.

fourdeucer on August 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM

kingsjester on August 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Terry is incapable of appreciating the sanctity of life. He/she/it has no integrity.

TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM

ABORTION IS MURDER! ABORTION IS MURDER! DURRRRR! lol, shut up.
Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

You are such a loser. You think this subject is funny? You are sick.
TXMomof3 on August 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I might have to make an exception, T-Mom, in this swine’s case, if only I had a time machine and could talk his Mom into having an abortion.

TXUS on August 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM

ABORTION IS MURRRRDDDDERRRRRRR!!!!! There are millions of murderers among us!

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Well, murder now a days usually is killing that the state finds illegal. Although, I’d think that mur ~ mort which is something like death/dead (No Latin scholar here).

We could agree to call it termination of a living human organism, though.

Upstater85 on August 19, 2009 at 4:39 PM

TXUS on August 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Ouch, that one hurt man.

Terry Silver on August 19, 2009 at 4:39 PM