Is there really a boycott of Glenn Beck? Update: Law of unintended consequences?

posted at 8:46 am on August 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve heard about the boycott of the Glenn Beck Show on Fox News Channel, one where as many as 20 advertisers have dropped their spots, thanks to pressure from left-wing groups angry at … well, their latest anger du jour. The boycott made big news when reports that major retailers Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and CVS had joined the effort. The Left celebrated, but did these three actually pull ads from Beck? I decided to check, and found that only one of the three agreed to stop advertising on Beck.

First, I contacted Best Buy, whose corporate headquarters are in the Twin Cities. The website Defend Glenn Beck posted an e-mail from their spokesperson saying that they had never advertised on Beck in the first place. I also received an e-mail from the same spokesperson confirming this:

Hi Ed~

The facts are that Best Buy has not advertised during or adjacent to the Glenn Beck show, and has no plans to do so. We do advertise on FOX, but during the morning hours of 6-9 a.m. I hope this helps your understanding.

Thanks a ton, Lisa

Lisa Svac Hawks
Director, Public Relations
Best Buy
7601 Penn Ave. S.
Richfield, MN 55423

Next, I contacted CVS, and found that they had never requested time on Beck in the first place. They did, however, ask to have their Fox spots appear elsewhere, although they apparently haven’t reduced them:

Dear Ed:

Thanks for your note.

While advertising on Fox is part of our communication plan, we had not requested time on Glenn Beck’s show specifically. We have instructed our advertising agency to inform Fox to ensure Glenn Beck’s program is not part of our advertising plan.

Our position is simple. We support vigorous debate, especially around policy issues that affect millions of Americans, but we expect it to be informed, inclusive and respectful, in keeping with our company’s core values and commitment to diversity.

Carolyn

Finally, I contacted Wal-Mart, and discovered that they alone of this Big 3 pulled ad spots from Beck:

Edward,

Walmart has confirmed the retailer pulled ads from the Glenn Beck show on August 3rd

Thanks,

Ashley

Ashley Hardie Wal-Mart Spokeswoman
Media Relations Hotline: 1.800.331.0085

In other words, the claim here was about half true. It was completely false regarding Best Buy, and CVS didn’t request ads for Beck before requesting to avoid him. Only Wal-Mart actually pulled ads from the show, and even at that may still be redirecting its ad money to other shows. Allahpundit predicted that would be the case when he wrote about this a few days ago, and Mediaite appears to have confirmed it:

It was big news yesterday – given major play on HuffPost and discussed on MSNBC – and while it signals some success for the ColorofChange.org campaign, the fact that Beck’s network, Fox News, isn’t hurt at all continues to be ignored.

As a Fox News spokesperson told Mediaite yesterday, “The advertisers referenced have all moved their spots from Beck to other programs on the network so there has been no revenue lost.”

That is a point that has been reiterated since advertisers first started exiting the individual show, and it proves the advertisers are more concerned with appeasing a section of their base than actually taking a stand.

Fox News continues to pick up the check from each of these companies, and continues to benefit from Beck and whatever he says on his program. Meanwhile, until Beck’s commercial blocks are filled with ads for the Wall St. Journal, Fox Business Network and Fox Searchlight Pictures, which they aren’t, his show isn’t ultimately hurt either.

Most boycotts flop.  This one has a rather large quotient of cowflop to it as well.

Addendum: I have to say I’m puzzled by Wal-Mart’s acquiescence in this boycott.  It’s not Beck fans who picket their stores, demanding unionization and demonizing them for their employee compensation policies.  They’re appeasing the same people who want to drive them out of business.

Update: Another reader got a better explanation from Wal-Mart:

I am sorry to hear your concern. We continuously review our media plans. In keeping with our internal  guidelines to avoid content that is highly  polarizing, we’ve instructed our agencies, as of August 3rd, not to run Walmart advertising in news commentary shows on national cable networks. This would include the Glenn Beck Show.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. Should you need to call us, we are more than happy to further assist you at 1-800-966-6546.

In other words, Wal-Mart’s decision was not so much to boycott Beck, but to remove its advertising from all commentary shows to avoid controversy.

Update: P&G seems to be falling off the list, too.  And it’s not just Wal-Mart pulling ads from all commentary shows, including some of the Left’s favorites over at MS-NBC:

DefendGlenn.com has also spoken to officials from Procter and Gamble, and Sargentos. P&G said they have NOT pulled ads because they never advertised on Glenn Beck to begin with. In addition P&G said they would be “restricting our advertising to daytime lineups” in an attempt to “avoid controversy”. While Sargentos, whose brand-destruction at the hands of angry consumers has been well-documented here, has now said they will also be yanking ads from MSNBC and CNN “talk personalities” as soon as it can be “arranged”.

Great work, Color of Change, you are killing the struggling shows like Hardball, Ed Show, Anderson Cooper 180, and Maddow, in addition to the once-strong brands such as Olbermann, which is now hemorraging viewers, by yanking their few high-paying advertisers away from them.

I don’t see this turning out well for the low-rated programs.  How much can unions afford to advertise on MS-NBC’s lineup, anyway?  The law of unintended consequences appears to apply here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If it was up to me they’d go back to calling it the WINSTON CUP, and I’d put Joe Camel on one of the cars.

Jeff from WI on August 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

For sponsoring the series, Winston always had a knack of sponsoring crummy drivers.

LevStrauss on August 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM

LOL! I read some comments on DU on this; these clowns actually believed that their “boycott” would lead to ALL advertisers leaving Beck and that Fox News would cancel Beck.

LMAO! What a bunch of morons. Like I said, Beck is not losing a second of sleep over this “boycott”. It will only make his ratings go even higher, and show will stay on the air for as long as he wants.

Norwegian on August 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Or RJR I should say.

LevStrauss on August 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM

The law of unintended consequences appears to apply here.

Dems own the law of unintended consequences. Or rather, it owns them.

Maquis on August 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I’ve always thought that these ideological boycotts are one of the reasons this country is in dire financial condition. Ever since 2000, BOTH sides have been orchestrating these punitive boycotts against what they perceive to be their ideological foes. Eventually I hope this country wakes up and realizes these are self inflicted wounds.

OxyCon on August 19, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Your about 50 years off and fail to see (as most till now) the strenght of a well placed boycott. Search on Montgomery, Ala., bus boycott led by the Rev. Martin Luther King. That was well over 50 years ago maybe even 60.

As unfortunate as these “punitive boycotts” may be, a small vocal group such as Color of Change now has empowered others of the same ike. Without strong opposition to their boycott and e-mail program a strong popular conservative voice will be lost. Wake up to the war at hand, the battle is now and needs to be waged with more than the efforts common to the Republican party of the past.

Due to Glen Beck’s popularity this drama will soon go away however, with a strong opposition using the purchasing power of the right these companies may think twice before caving into the radical left attack machine.

I guess my point of view differs from many. As a not so small conservative business owner I promote conservatism at all times. I hire, promote, purchase from and extend opprotunity to other conservatives.

Joe the Signman on August 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM

And once again, Ed inserts facts into an AP post and the story does a 180.

Ronnie on August 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM

“Attention Obamamart shoppers…”

Don L on August 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM

The Consequence of Unintended Laws

faraway on August 19, 2009 at 12:51 PM

great work….Politico was taken by those guys at color…bigtime….

independent voter on August 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Just got this response from Radio Shack:

We appreciate your concerns on the recent advertising matter that’s been circulating in the media. Unfortunately, our policy and response to the matter have been misrepresented by the activist group involved. RadioShack does not advertise on Glenn Beck’s program and we have not advertised on his program, so there were no ads to cancel. The protestors have included RadioShack because one of our manufacturers advertises its “magicJack” product on Glenn Beck’s show, and the ads say “available at RadioShack.”

(emphasis mine)

Kelli_D on August 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Karl Rove has to be behind this! haha

aikidoka on August 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Too little too late for CVS. I contacted them this morning and canceled service with them and told them WHY. When will these companies learn that we still have options too?!?

DanaSmiles on August 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

So, ‘they never advertised with Glenn Beck show’ is supposed to make us feel better and go back to using them? It just gives me another reason to pull my business from them.

DanaSmiles on August 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Kelli_D on August 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Good to know. Thanks.

misslizzi on August 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM

By the way, I like how ProudRino is back spouting his BS. Every opposed view he sees as an attack. For goodness sake, I called him what his name was: “You truly are a proud Rino.” Then he threw a tantrum and said “you can’t argue with me, you’re just using ad hominems.” Whatever it is, it is and idiot.

roopster217 on August 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

For what it’s worth (and that may not be much), I have a feeling that Proud Rino is female.

BTW, why would anyone call herself a “Proud Rino”, considering that RINO stands for “Republican In Name Only”? That’s like calling yourself “Proud Hypocrite.”

Mary in LA on August 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM

HEY!

In their supposed zeal to avoid controversial media, are any of these companies singling out the PRINT media running vicious, name-calling editorials from columnists like Maureen Dowd and the other New York Times hacks? Hate speech from these slanderous Left-wing, often racist, columnists appears daily in newspapers large and small across America, as well as on all their websites.

jay12 on August 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM

The meme is established: Best Buy dumped Beck! Accuracy be damned.

I’m most definitely not a Glenn Beck fan (I can’t deal with his drama queen thingy, and I mostly regard him as clownish), but I appreciate you digging into this, Ed. It’s good to know the facts, even if they’re getting drowned out by all the celebration.

capitalist piglet on August 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Whatever it is, it is and idiot.

roopster217 on August 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

LOL.

Proud Rino on August 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Oh man I love it, these idiots end up hurting the advertising on the lunatic shows on PMSNBC more so than on FOX. dumbasses.

exceller on August 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Once again we see the left engage in “Ready, fire, aim!” – I love it.

Blacksmith on August 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM

There PR people don’t have a clue what’s going on.

They should just adopt a letter they can all share;

Dear Sir, Madam,

We here at _____________ are so afraid of being labelled racist in any way, that we would pull a non-refundable Super Bowl ad if we had to. The damage done to our brand, even though a false claim (as most are) is not easily reparied.

Furthermore, we would lucky to escape without being shaken down by a race hustler to the tune of millions (not including legal fees). We at ____________ saw the word racist, and we’re not sure who is being racist, or calling someone racist, but it might make us racist by extension in the eyes of the racial police.

Thanks oodles and oodles and bunches,

Brandi

reaganaut on August 19, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Hey, doesn’t union labor work for TV shows?

If the advertising dollars go, the show goes. If the show goes, the jobs go.

Freakin’ sweet!

madmonkphotog on August 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I don’t do cable, and wouldn’t know who sponsors the Beck Show. Funny thing, his so-called viewers don’t know the sponsors, either.

The simplest answer is to call the Beck Show to learn who their advertisers are, and/or who has pulled ads from Beck. Get it from the horse’s mouth rather than circling about on the fishing exposition.

I have to wonder how truly popular his show is. What clips I’ve seen, I’ve noted him as the alternative to Jon Stewart.

If this is a hoax, Beck’s doing himself no favor crying wolf.

maverick muse on August 19, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Kelli_D on August 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Thanks for more laughs Kelli. Appreciated.

Shambhala on August 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

maverick muse, it is a funny thing you don’t watch GB but wonder how truly popular GB’s show is???
Puhleese, currently GB’s show is the #2 most watched show on all of the 100s of cable TV channels not just the opinion/newz but the whole dang cable network!!! Ya think that may indicate popularity???
The Left has been after GB since he was on CNN and he is playing them as the fools they are. The faux boycott by some bigoted nonprofit ain’t going to do anything but help old GB. I find that the more the Racebaiters attack the less the loony lefty guilt ridden white population will buy into this crap!

el Vaquero on August 19, 2009 at 3:37 PM

If this is a hoax, Beck’s doing himself no favor crying wolf.

Well, Beck may “cry” once in a while, but I’ve never seen him cry wolf.

This info is coming from the left, though. Sites like DailyKos are claiming that these advertisers are dropping Beck, because they were pushing for it. That’s where most of the info was coming from, like they were declaring some sort of victory.

From what I’ve seen so far, Beck hasn’t been talking about this himself that much. I haven’t had time to listen to the radio much, and I don’t have cable, either – but I am still on his email list, and I haven’t seen that mentioned.

I have to admit, I usually don’t read the email, but it hasn’t been in the subject line anyway :)

reaganaut on August 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Excuse me!!!!

I’m never going to shop at walmart again. And that wasn’t my car you just saw in the parking lot.

I thought you said you were going to pull ur advertisement from commentary style shows.

We will but our contract runs out with cnn and msnbc in july of 2030.

Dudes u’ve been obamatized.

BruceB on August 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I’ve not watched Beck and now wonder if I’ve missed something?

(i.e. if they are against it, I am likely for it…..)

roy_batty on August 19, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I am still not happy with CVS. I shop there a lot, preferring to buy household things there rather than go to Target which is out of the way and where I end up filling up the cart.

As I wrote and told CVS yesterday, I’ll be shopping elsewhere because of this. Their explanation is crap. Corporate values my ass.

evergreen on August 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Fine. Beck’s show can run even longer now so he can better inform us as to what these SOBs are up to.

As for MSNBC and the others, it seems that they’re getting money trickling from their parent companies via the dual gerbil tube running between Dear Leader’s and their CEOs’ keesters.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I looked for God at a Walmart. And I saw a 52 inch hi-definition television, and a voice said, God is not the 52 inch hi-definition television.

Then I saw a George Foreman grille. And a voice said, God is not in the George Foreman grille.

I left the Walmart with a downcast face, and it got very quiet, as if the parking lot were empty, and I felt a gentle breeze blow against my face. And the voice said, God is in the gentle breeze.

jeff_from_mpls on August 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Best of the day.

fullogas on August 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I started emailing everyone..
and those turncoat companies i do business with them
So i can boycott these leftist companies
and am sending emails like crazy..

No i mean this i will NOT support
any of these leftist wako companies
or those who cave into the 25 leftists
while ignoring the 25 MILLION conservative americans and their entire families..

No more..

so i sent them this

I just did this right now..
And i am contacting everyone i know..
My family my friends at work my friends at church.
I told these companies the truth.
No threats nothing like that
i just told them that
I spend x amount of dollars per year
in your store…

I am now boycotting your place of business because of your support of these leftists bastards..

And i also told them if they try to placate both sidesI will still boycott them because i want to see these companies GROW a pair of BALLS and make a damned choice..

So i told them lets see…
If those 25 anti american, anti military, pro communist supporters will replace the income from
25 MILLION PISSED OFF AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES
and their families…

I told them to choose and choose wisely..
NO More of this leftist BULLSHIT..

Be nice , be civil but be straight and to the damned point..

veteranoutrage on August 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

“Unintended consequence” should be the new motto of the Democratic Party right now. They seem to never exercise any forethought in any of their decision making.

I mean, They cram stimulus legislation through without even reading it and then they are surprised that a majority of Americans are now balking about the healthcare bill.

The President introduces hisself to a little girl in a town hall meeting and then we find out that the girls mother is a major Obama supporter.

Rep Dingall has a supporter parade around an Anti-Obama poster so he would be caught by the news, get it BY THE NEWS.

Either the Democratic party is full of nothing but a bunch of superficial thinkers, or they are just plan immoral.

SavhSmith111 on August 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Littlegreenfootball.com seems to be the center of the Glenn Beck hatred. Right now they are saying that Farmers Insurance has removed their ads from Beck’s show. Frankly, I doubt if any show on TV or cable has as many advertisers that LGF says is boycotting his show.

SC.Charlie on August 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

In solidarity with nutjobs everywhere, I too have pulled all my advertising from the Glenn Beck show.

Of course, I didn’t have any to start with, but what the hell, everyone else is doing it . . .

tsj017 on August 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Color of Change just sucked all the green from MSNBC and CNN! Too funny!

Liberals always, ALWAYS, always over-reach!

TN Mom on August 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM

tsj017 on August 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I’ve decided to double my advertising on Beck’s show.
Oh what the hell – triple.

Ronnie on August 19, 2009 at 4:45 PM

“unintended consequences” .. more people tuned in to hear Beck because of this.

I wonder how they’ll feel when The Judge gets on FOX with his own show? His once a week Internet only show on FOX will be moving to a daily show on the Internet.. the next stop is a broadcast show.

popularpeoplesfront on August 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Der ObamaFührer ist die Mobilisierung aller seiner nationalen Sozialistischen Arbeiterpartei (dh, “lila T-shirts”) zu bedrohen und zu zerschlagen allen Meinungs-und Versammlungsfreiheit der Bürger, die sich gegen seinen Masterplan für den Nationalsozialismus in Amerika.
Or, in English:
The leader Obama is mobilizing all his National Socialist Workers (i.e., “purpleshirts”) to threaten and smash any and all freedom of speech and assembly of the people who oppose his master plan for National Socialism in America.

Wal-Mart has gone Nuts!

bmac727 on August 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Okay, what’s the deal? Where’s Beck and why is the Judge subbing for him?

DrStock on August 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Okay, what’s the deal? Where’s Beck and why is the Judge subbing for him?

DrStock on August 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM

My question is, how did Andrew Napolitano get to become a judge without understanding the Commerce Clause? Don’t you have to, like, know the Constitution before they let you take the bench?

Proud Rino on August 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Scott Horton interviews Tom Woods

Spathi on August 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Demoncrats: The party of the Inconsequential.

enoughalready on August 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Proud Rino on August 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Can you explain what you mean?

Itchee Dryback on August 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM

DanaSmiles on August 19,

Good point!

You think if they were really on the up and up, they would have killed these reports within hours of being linked to a boycott.

DSchoen on August 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Proud rino seems like a major pants-wetting liberal to me.

metric on August 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM

maverick muse on August 19,

maverick muse, you don’t read the articles you comment on? Kinda dumb don’t ya think?

“If boycotts were lame, they’d have no affect.
Yet they do, so they’re not.
Your claim contrary to the evidence reveals perhaps a personal infirmity or lack of resolve.
maverick muse on August 19”

That be you yes?

The article listed all the sponsors, 53 at the time. Since then 4 more have been ADDED! Not removed!
Including Oprah Winfrey!

The NET effect of this boycott has INCREASED sponsors for Beck’s show and Fox in general.

LOL, ROFLMAO!

DSchoen on August 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Color of Change should be looking for blue.

As in a little blue pill, cuz this boycott was about as impotent as one could get!

Guess that’s why it has been lead by that E, dysfunction Olbermann!

DSchoen on August 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM

starting monday, Glenn will begin hitting back too.

painfulTruthDisciple on August 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I work for a living, I get off between 5 and 5:30, it takes me 30 minutes to get home, I TIVO Beck. When I get home I watch Beck, and ffwd the ads, sorry CVS. Now that I know that some are pulling out, I will as well pull out, not from Beck, but from their stores.

Beck can be a little much, but he does the research, and nobody else has the stones to put it out for all to see.

What I find funny is that libtards are threatening to boycott advertisers of a show that libtards don’t watch. The ratings are through the roof, the advertisers are willing to cut themselves off from millions of potential customers that they wont reach on pmsnbc, or cnn.

Too smart for us, these marketing geniuses that back out from threats of a minority whose panties are clearly in a wad over what they deem offensive. Is anyone asking us how offensive their rhetoric is to us?
Screw them all, I won’t buy GM, Chrysler, Fannie/Freddie, Goldman/Sachs, or anyone else this administration backs, or owns?, as well, I avoid union owned companies. Any one else want to join the list?

I want to buy American, once America gets some sense back into it’s head, it’s starting to turn, but is it too late?

I love my country deeply, but as of late, our elected tell me that I am not American, I will not post a reaction to that.

M-14 2go on August 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Proud Rino on August 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Did you ask that about Sotomayor? I doubt it.

ddrintn on August 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I’d say the old saying “don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house” applies. But, that doesn’t even cover it.

It’s like throwing stones against a brick wall 3 feet opposite your glass house.

You aren’t going to dent the brick wall and you had better hope the stone doesn’t bounce too far. It might not make the guy in the brick house too happy either. He has some mighty stones as well.

Beck is untouchable as long as he has the ratings. We are a capitalist country, despite Obama’s best efforts. Liberal outlets do not have the ratings, and Obama will be a lame duck in 2010 and wont be around to bail them out forever.

jhffmn on August 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I offer this as a re-branding campaign for the Democrat Party:

Democratic National Committee
The Party of Unintended Consequences

BobMbx on August 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM

That’s been true for a couple generations or more… ;-)

didymus on August 19, 2009 at 10:53 PM

MSNBC = Marxist Socialist Network Broadcasting Company

jediwebdude on August 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM

these companies wouldn’t really pull their advertising from connecting with intelligent life forms, such as those that watch Beck. Boy, he must have hit a nerve with the socialist party.

workingforpigs on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Received today:

Dear Customer,

“Thank you for contacting the Global Ethics Office regarding a recent episode of the Glenn Beck Show and Wal-Mart’s advertising relationship with the show specifically and Fox News in general. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. continuously reviews media plans. In keeping with our internal guidelines to avoid content that is highly polarizing, we’ve instructed our agencies, as of August 3rd, not to run Walmart advertising in news commentary shows on national cable networks. This would include the Glenn Beck Show.”

Regards,
Brandi
Global Ethics Office

I wrote back and said that I constantly review my shopping options, and Wally-World isn’t one of them. How many are with me?

Mr. Grump on August 20, 2009 at 1:09 AM

I would be very happy if no political commentary existed. There is absolutely no need for 24 hours news channels.

Decider on August 20, 2009 at 1:40 AM

workingforpigs on August 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM

“intelligent” “Glenn Beck” is a oxymoron.

Decider on August 20, 2009 at 1:42 AM

These companies are only hurting themselves since that show is pulling in large ratings. I expect this controversy will bring more viewers to the show.

becki51758 on August 20, 2009 at 8:39 AM

It’s what you do with that dislike that defines a free-market conservative from a statist. Statists demand a law to stop somebody from doing what they don’t like (I’m statist on some issues, btw.) But free-market conservatives decide to address the issue with their own freedom of selection.

Certain clubs are discarded, not all need be.

Axeman on August 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM

WELL SAID!

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 8:50 AM

So does that mean that Wal-Mart is pulling Glen’s books and CDs off the shelf? BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE I BOUGHT MY COPY OF ‘COMMON SENSE’!!!!!

Khun Joe on August 20, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Politico was taken by those guys at color…bigtime….

independent voter on August 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Is there ANY Leftwing-whatever/whoever that Politico is NOT taken by? Someone commented once that it was edited by Axelrod and Emanuel. I believe them.

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Repeat after me, guys. “Proud Rhino” is a paleolibertarian/conservative and an acolyte of Lew Rockwell and the Ludwig von Mises Institute. Definitely not any kind of liberal or progressive or whatever they call themselves these days.

The admiration for the worker’s paradise, er, capitalist’s paradise of the PRC puts it/him squarely in Ludwig von Mises Institute’s sphere.

funky chicken on August 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Google Lew Rockwell and Deng, or Ludwig von Mises and Deng, and you will see that “proud rhino” is spouting their crapola, straight up and unadulterated.

These nuts are from the right side, but that doesn’t make them any less nuts or any less disgusting.

funky chicken on August 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM

honestly, it’s not a liberal. it’s a nut, but it’s a hard core righty nut

funky chicken on August 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Sounds like a liberal-tarian, then. Purist claptrap that uses the same “hypocrite” theme as the Alinskyites.

I disagree that Liberal-tarians are “rightist”, some of them believe less in social order than most libs.

Axeman on August 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I appreciate what you’re saying, there, funkychicken, but I agree for the most part with Axeman ^^.

I’ve encountered enough of the Liberal Left who fancy themselves Libertarian (it’s as good a nametag as any, I guess, for those who need such — but I find the term more a covering than anything) to recognize a Leftwinger when I read one.

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 9:37 AM

honestly, it’s not a liberal. it’s a nut, but it’s a hard core righty nut

funky chicken on August 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I wouldn’t refer to an anarchist as a “righty”. When I read comments that reflect disorganized thinking and a high level of anti-social antagonisms, as I did with the *previous of discussion*, I don’t get “a righty” out of that, I get just general Leftwing anarchy-disorder-academic fixations without regard for reality (that is, that we as humans live among others who are also — life is messy).

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM

honestly, it’s not a liberal. it’s a nut, but it’s a hard core righty nut

funky chicken on August 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM

…so you’re right about that “nut” term, though. :)

Lourdes on August 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM

“Whether you’re buying time on cable systems or individual stations, you can save money by purchasing “broad rotators,” which means your spots may run anytime during entire dayparts, not just within specific, higher-rated shows.”

First, most dayparts runs ~3-4 hours, which is about how long Beck’s radio show runs during the day. Secondly, you’d *know* which shows fill that daypart, so there’s nothing accidental about it! You’re choosing that daypart knowing that you’ll get some ads aired during Beck’s show, and some not. So that doesn’t fly.

Secondly, when it’s a high-value show like Beck’s you are deliberately booking specific time slots in order to ensure that the vast audience that tunes into his show hears your ad. I’ve done media buying before, and as DaSaintFan said above, you plan your ROI based upon the demographic of the time-slot/programming you’re booking into. It would be very rare for a company to book NOT knowing what programming is running in the specific time slots or general dayparts they’ve chosen. It would happen precisely once, and then the media placement company or manager would be seeking new employment.

So I’m left with the stunning conclusion that they are lying.

EasyEight on August 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Wal-Mart drew my suspicion when they started running pro-socialized healthcare ads, which is an obvious ploy to shift insurance costs off their books and place an onerous burden on smaller competitors. Thus, I started avoiding their stores months ago.

Now this Glenn Beck thing seals the deal. Especially since Beck’s comments that started the Van Jones boycott were one hundred percent correct.

Call it a boycott, personal option or whatever but I’m taking the thousand bucks or so that I used to drop on Wal-Mart every year elsewhere.

miles on August 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM