Video: Seniors voting with their feet

posted at 10:11 am on August 18, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

CBS News reports that the AARP’s dance with ObamaCare has produced real results for the senior advocacy group — really bad results.  Over 60,000 members have left the AARP, angered by the group’s support for Barack Obama’s health-care reform efforts and silence on cuts to Medicare that will pay for them.  Many have joined a new group with a more conservative outlook on health-care reform:

Watch CBS Videos Online

CBS News has learned that up to 60,000 people have cancelled their AARP memberships since July 1, angered over the group’s position on health care.

Elaine Guardiani has been with AARP for 14 years, and said, “I’m extremely disappointed in AARP.”

Retired nurse Dale Anderson has 12 years with AARP and said, “I don’t wanna be connected with AARP.”

Many are switching to the American Seniors Association, a group that calls itself the conservative alternative as CBS News Investigative Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports.

The big problem is the cuts to Medicare and the attacks on Medicare Advantage. The American Seniors Association minces no words in its opposition to ObamaCare and the cuts to the two plans. They don’t need to see the final bill, as the AARP spokeswoman suggests in the interview, to know it’s a bad deal.

Seniors can be forgiven if they sense a heapin’ helping of hypocrisy from the AARP. The organization bitterly opposed efforts to reform Social Security four years ago, claiming that the Bush administration’s privatization plans amounted to a “dismantling” of the retirement plan, even before they’d actually seen the proposal. Now, when Obama offers big cuts in actual coverage in Medicare and Medicare Advantage, suddenly they want to play coy about reading the bill. Their lack of response is easily taken as tacit endorsement, considering the hysterical response four years ago.

Glenn Reynolds doubts that this will get as much attention as the boycott of Glenn Beck. I’m surprised to see CBS covering the story, and doing it this well. Kudos to CBS for a balanced and informative piece.

Comments

Did the Cubs just win the World series? Did he|| just freeze over?

jbh45 on August 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM

This is not the real number.My cousin works for AARP she told me last week if you count the people who have quit AARP and combine that with the number who just chose not to renew.The real number is around 132000.

thmcbb on August 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

These numbers are amazing. An awesome.

If the libs lose the bluehair vote, they are in BIG trouble (though if they lose the independent vote they are done for).

I like it all!

Darksean on August 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM

You seniors better get outa here before doctors cut off yer feet! They make $30,000 $40,000, $50,000 per foot!

Akzed on August 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Did the Cubs just win the World series?
jbh45 on August 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM

We can always dream!

publiuspen on August 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM

No problem. I’m certain the the SEIU will transfer money from their coffers to the AARP to cover the losses.

larvcom on August 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM

And those numbers don’t include the new seniors who won’t join. AARP is the real blood sucking vultures, stealing money from old people to fund thugs like Obama.

conservativegrandma on August 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM

AARP is the senior’s version of ACORN. There are alternative organizations that cost less to join and offer more benefits, and are actually pro USA.

Hening on August 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I still say we should start with tort reform and possibly one or two targeted insurance reforms and see how far it takes us.

NickelAndDime on August 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Since we are going to get “reform” this is what I propose the conservative focus on:
Tort reform
National insurance companies, that can sell across state lines.
Set up a system for pre-existing conditions, so people are not dropped from the health care system.
Then wait 5 years, and see what effect this has…then take further steps.
One more, for 5 years, no health care lobbying…so we can see the “true” effects of the program.

right2bright on August 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM

AARP tries to tell us that they are not endorsing Obamacare. But they are running ads on foxnews.com telling people to call their congressmen to get those who oppose health care reform (implied Obamacare) out of the way. And they show an ambulance being partially blocked by cars getting in the way, like as if by opposing “Reform Now” we are killing people. I say they deserve what’s happening to them. Seniors don’t buy their lie that they aren’t aggressively for socialized medicine, for AARP has long been for socialized everything.

Christian Conservative on August 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM

thmcbb on August 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

That makes sense.

right2bright on August 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Why don’t we just get the damn government out of dictating to private business what they do?

The supposed health care “crisis” has been caused by government to begin with … the cure is removal of the cause.

darwin on August 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Because demagogues will keep trying to expand the government’s powers via entitlement programs. It’s what the left wants. It really doesn’t matter that doing so will result in the diminution of individual liberties (in fact, I’m not even sure they all KNOW that), what matters is that doing so will get them more votes.

This is about the ambition of every young person who has ever sought a way into office. They look for the largest group with the most pressing need and they will find a way to promise everything to those people in exchange for their votes. Once they actually get into office, they will actually legislate for those policies just so they can STAY in office. Principles are secondary concerns if at all.

Reducing or removing government WON’T fix that ambition, it’s inherent in human nature. I’m sure most will agree that personal ambition is a positive force so long as it’s applied to the defense of individualism and liberty. Either way, there will always be pressure to expand government’s role at the expense of individual liberty.

The trick is to pre-empt socialist and collectivist entitlement programs with free-market solutions that are fiscally sound and are designed to enshrine individual choice and free enterprise forever.

We’ve seen how easily the state will give up it’s authority once it’s been secured with an entitlement regime via the welfare state. We’ve been trying to erode or privatize welfare and medicare for four decades with little success. But what if Social Security had been passed as a mandate for perpetual competition between privatized retirement accounts from the get-go?

Imagine if we had passed Medicare Advantage with its emphasis on private-sector solutions back in 1965 instead?

The point is that the only way to stop socialist incrementalism is by plugging up its avenues of approach with fiscally conservative, free-market based solutions.

Khorum on August 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Footless seniors leaving next?

profitsbeard on August 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Great news. Glad to hear AARP is being made to pay for its cronyism.

Yakko77 on August 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Kudos to CBS for a balanced and informative piece.

It’s going to take a lot more than this to make me watch anything put out by CBS’s news division.

gryphon202 on August 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM

60K! That’s really awesome. Talk about a boycott.

Wowza.

therightscoop on August 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Khorum, the states already regulate insurance companies and their offerings. If you wanted government out of private insurance business, you’re about 40-50 years too late.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM

This senior walked years ago. I left AARP back when they opposed Social Security reform. It felt good to tear up my card back then…it’d probably feel even better to do it today.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Re: Jimbo3

IF ONLY we could be so trusting. On the empty promises, oh so many of them had been CHANGEd.

Leftists are using this bill to get overreaching government control over individuals. Just look at the craziness in UK.

You only hear what you hope to hear. The devil is in the details.

Sir Napsalot on August 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I think there’s going to be a lot of crutches at future town halls and at the polls.

I’m going to buy some stock in wooden legs.

ted c on August 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I don’t know much about AARP. Are they collecting any money from members on a monthly or annual basis. I’m just curious if AARP is losing just members or member and money. Can anyone tell me?

pjean on August 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM

You may be right, but I’ve written my representatives and told them I support Obama-lite and asked them to do the same. I’ll take it over the alternatives.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Some more info. on what my cousin who works for AARP told me .Like she told me if you combine the number who have Quit with the number who chose not to renew you come up with 132000.She went on to say if you combine this number with new memberships you get a net lost of 29000 people which does not on it,s face sound that bad.However she has worked there for 13 years and said this is the first time she can ever remember that AARP has ever had a net lost.

thmcbb on August 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

AARP generally charges annual membership fees of about $10-$15. You get a much better rate if you join for multiple years up front.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

AARP loses 60,000 members in a month.

Best news all day!

javamartini on August 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM

That’s why I’m in favor of the co-ops with some required offerings. That’s also why I’m in favor of requiring everyone in the US to have health insurance, because then the costs will be spread over the entire community.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

The solution to your portabilty issue is out there but it isn’t pretending the filthy liar’s plan is something it is not.

highhopes on August 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Kudos to CBS for a balanced and informative piece.

One of my favorite things about Conservatives is our genuine desire to be fair. This is proof. I am proud to stand together with the growing numbers of fair-minded, sensible Americans who the Left so callously calls a mob. And when my AARP invite shows up next week…another birthday…I will once again, sensibly, throw it in the trash!

redwhiteblue on August 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Kudos to CBS for a balanced and informative piece.

One swallow does not a summer make. Why are they doing it? This is so out of character for this pravda TV network that it does not make sense unless the have an ulterior motive.

Is this Bozo payback for the moment when AARP said “hang on Bozo! We ain’t endorsed anything yet…”?

I do not trust state run media.

dogsoldier on August 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

thmcbb on August 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I guess they figure they’ll help the filthy liar seize healthcare and then wave enough coupons under senior’s noses to get them to forget the betrayal.

highhopes on August 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM

redwhiteblue on August 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Mail back the post paid envelope with newspaper or a Joker poster inside. Why waste the stamp?

dogsoldier on August 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Not sure what side of the isle this puts me on but isn’t the whole reason why health care is so unaffordable because we have been convinced that in order for you to even contemplate seeing a doctor, you need to pay someone large sums of money weekly so THEY can pay for you?

Going further, now that we pay 1/4 of our weekly checks to health insurance companies (in many or most cases)we feel obligated to use it frequently and doctors feel entiltled to charge outrages rates. It’s a huge scam in my opinion. All we really need is catastrophic coverage and that should be voluntary and for those who CHOOSE to purchase it. Sure we need a saftey net but paying someone else such huge amounts of money to pay your bills is lunacy. I just don’t get it….and now the government wants in on this racket.

Just one man’s opinion. Maybe I’m just being naive.

Goodeye_Closed on August 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I love it… the ASA website is capitalizing on the AARP exodus:

“Get a second year for FREE!
Click the Orange Button to your right…JOIN and then mail your TORN AARP card along with your new ASA membership number to 3700 Mansell Rd., Suite 220, Alpharetta, GA 30022 to get a second year of membership for free!”

ricer1 on August 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Your use of the term “filthy liar” is offensive. I’m surprised that Ed hasn’t banned you, by the way.

“Sorry but the co-ops as described are nothing more than the public plan by another name. Even if they are set up, the filthy liar would then just regulate private insurance out of the marketplace and collapse all these co-ops into a public plan.”

Insurance is already heavy regulated by the states. They approve policy terms, premiums and the amounts of profits. And many insurance companies (Blue Cross, for instance) are already non-profits. So, explain how regulation of those co-ops is the same as a “public plan”, since it seems to be no different than the regulations that are now in effect.

I think you are the “filthy liar” for saying that regulation of private co-ops are the same as a public plan (I guess I can use the term if you can).

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

wasn’t there a conservative alternative to AARP out there? What happened to them?

mizflame98 on August 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

mizflame98 on August 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

It’s linked in Ed’s piece, American Senior Assoc.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM

thmcbb on August 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Thanks for this info – very interesting.

If you have a chance to find out, I’d be interested to know if there’s also been a decline in new memberships – in other words, people who were considering joining but decided not to because of AARP’s position on ObamaCare.

Missy on August 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM

dogsoldier on August 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Good idea. I have an extra TEA Party bumper sticker I’ll send.
I agree that the state run media is not to be considered trustworthy in their intent, or trustworthy period. However I do appreciate that Ed is willing to offer them kudos for at least covering this.

redwhiteblue on August 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM

You know, AARP seemed like such a great idea when it rolled out initially. Now, it’s questionable as to value-added. I frankly don’t see the need to pay someone so they can send me life insurance junk mail.

Why pay the membership dues? I suspect the drop was just timely. Betcha a lot of people took a look at wasted money and AARP was at the top of the list.

It’s not expensive, but then again, it’s a dinner out!

AnninCA on August 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM

It does get you some benefits, like discounts at hotels, but so does AAA.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Goodeye_Closed on August 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Good points. Years ago, employers began offering group coverage for routine care, as a way to attract more and better employees. Because of rising costs, it’s become difficult for employers to maintain that level of spending, but we’re spoiled now. We’ve come to EXPECT to be insured for routine medical care. So instead of budgeting for our own routine office visits–and thereby understanding the ACTUAL cost of those visits–we send money to the insurance company every month and let them pay the bill for us. Seems to me there could savings here if we eliminate the middle man and pay our doctors directly.

Let’s get insurance back to what it’s supposed to be…a tool for managing RISK.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I’m sorry, but I am not in any way interested in having the federal government point a gun to my head thus forcing me, against my will, to pay for your health care.

If you have made bad decisions in your life that make it impossible for you to take the responsibility of paying for your own health care, tough sh*t.

Dave R. on August 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

It’s not expensive, but then again, it’s a dinner out!

AnninCA on August 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Or a couple of boxes of shells.

Jeff from WI on August 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM

AnninCA on August 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Actually, if you took advantage of the discounts they offer, you could easily break even on the dues.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Just heard an AARP radio commercial which is an explicit endorsement of the “reform proposals” in Washington. Trying to distance themselves from HB 3200 just does not cut it when hearing the ad in context. Many honorable older Americans fought against socialism.

clorensen on August 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Why pay the membership dues?
AnninCA on August 18, 2009

Just another scam among many that we happily tolerate and never question.

Cell Phones: Why do we pay companies $220 a month for phone service for a family of four that used to cost $50 at most (and still does) when everything was land lines. Is it really important to have a service that allows people to talk about nothing while they drive. The majority of people using them are not CEO’s or networking business people, just 9-5 regulars who don’t want to feel left out or a sense of importance. Frankly I like the freedom of not having one. My answering machine does fine….I’ll call you when I feel like it.

Goodeye_Closed on August 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, Dave R. Growing old was a bad decision. I will use what funds and political force I have to support Obamacare-lite. I suspect some version of Obamacare-lite will ultimately pass. Don’t like it? Tough.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM

It’s getting so bad that AARP just scrubbed its entire forum. Evidently there were hundreds of angry posts on the board, and now they’re all magically disappeared!

Here’s a link to someone complaining about it.

And in case it gets scrubbed, here’s some of the text:

“I posted yesterday on about a dozen different forums in the “Health” section appropriate to members discussing Obamacare. There were a great many other posts in each of these forums besides mine, and a majority of them expressed extreme displeasure regarding AARP’s apparent selling out of its members by not representing the majority’s opinion to take a harder stand against the proposed bill. Most of those posts expressing displeasure with AARP’s deaf ear towards its members also stated that they were cancelling their membership, and many others, mine included, stated that if AARP didn’t take a stronger stand against the bill and stop parroting the leftists extremist’s lies and misinformation regarding the proposed plan and its adverse effect on seniors, we too would respond by cancelling our membership – i.e., we were giving AARP a chance to change it ways and represent its members, not its management on this issue.
Today I find that all of those posts that mentioned cancelling or threatening to cancel AARP membership were erased from the forums. So, unless I’m simply missing something and those posts really are still posted but I’m just having problems finding them, I am cancelling my membership. The erasing of those posts that opposed AARP’s actions on Obamacare is a most blatant and obvious evidence that AARP really IS in cahoots with the Administration and has no intent of representing its membership in a fair, civil, honest and legal way. Shame on you!”

AJsDaddie on August 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Amen. That is one of my pet peeves….the phone stuff. Good gravy, but no matter what, they seem to get at least 100 bucks outta you.

And I’m one who just barely can text, nevermind am not on my phone all the time!

AnninCA on August 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Sorry, but growing old does not give you the right to use the police powers of the federal government as an instrument of plunder.

Dave R. on August 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Yes, it does, Dave. If you want to drive, you generally have to have insurance. If you work as an employee, you pay into Social Security and Medicare. If there was a draft, you would have to sign up if you were in the right age group. This is no different.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I don’t disagree that reforms are needed. But I’m unimpressed with Obama’s ideas. Based on the things I’ve heard him say, I believe he has a poor understanding of the current situation, both in terms of current medical care in the U.S., and in terms of the insurance industry and how it works. His approach is way too radical and would leave us with no way back if it doesn’t work.

For some reason the Democrats seem to think we rejected Hillarycare because of her closed meetings and dealings with special interests. That’s wrong. We opposed it because we didn’t want the government any more involved in healthcare than they they already are. That hasn’t changed.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

The fact that our government is already too intrusive is not an excuse to allow them to intrude further. This comment doesn’t apply to the draft, which is within their Constitutional powers.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I think Obama believes Hillarycare was rejected because the insurance companies and the hospitals/doctors were opposed. They are generally on board this time, which is why I think something will pass.

What changes would you make, Dee2008?

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Dee2008, anything with a somewhat important effect on commerce is within Congress’ powers.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Guys, keep this in perspective. According to Wikipedia, AARP has 40 million members!

60,000 / 40,000,000 = 0.15% of their total membership rolls. Another commenter claimed that non-renewals take the number up to 130,000… Again, 0.325% of total membership. That’s a rounding error, guys, not a mass exodus!

What IS significant, though, is that AARP really isn’t endorsing any of these plans.

Outlander on August 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Hell, I knew AARP’s leanings long ago. When they put Danny Glover in for their spokesperson that clinched it.

Count 1 of those cut up cards came from this household. My sweetie sent her card in a couple of weeks ago.

Nice to see the numbers.

bbordwell on August 18, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I just don’t see where AARP is really performing the functions that they originally established.

It’s turned into a marketing machine.

They need to revamp or be dumped.

AnninCA on August 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM

What changes would you make, Dee2008?

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I want to free the free market. Today we’re all forced into only a few policy options by artificial government restrictions. We need national level competition with a wide range of services available. If the government would back off and let REAL competition take place, the insurance companies would be free to compete for our business through greater innovation (as in the Ma Bell dissolution), and via better pricing strategies. We would all benefit.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Outlander on August 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

..salient point. Still in all, it was instructive to see that, when the lip-flapper-in-chief said “AARP is on board” how they (AARP) backed away like a thief in the night.

VoyskaPVO on August 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I’m not lying so you are a moron if you want to call me a liar but all the namecalling in the world does not change the fact that the co-ops as presented are nothing different than the public plan. The filthy liar would still undercut private insurance with billions in taxpayer seed money and incentivize employers from dropping their existing coverage and forcing everybody over to the co-op/private plan.

At least be honest in your posts. If you want seizure of healthcare by the government just say so. The filthy liar in the White House needs a few allies right now and with your sob story of not being able to get affordable insurance you could even be featured in some upcoming town hall as the reason why need need to abandon all common sense and turn over healthcare to the federal government.

highhopes on August 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM

“Kudos to CBS for a balanced and informative piece.”

Depressing to think that you have to send a “way to go” shout out to one of the most storied news outfits in our nations history, just for reporting accurately and fairly.

Spider79 on August 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

The co-ops are exactly the same as the public plan, they just gave it a different name in the hopes that no one would notice. The private companies are free to offer plans, but they will be the plans that the government has decided they are free to offer. Which is just another way of saying they are not free at all.

Lily on August 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I am being honest in my posts, highhopes. How do you know that the co-ops would undercut private insurance, receive seed money or incentivize employers to drop existing coverage? The existing regulatory environment hasn’t done that. We don’t know what the fines/charges would be.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I’ve known for some time that even though I’m less than a decade off from being of AARP age I’d never join. (The begging for bucks commercial was a real eye-opener of what those folks thought. You know the one were the guy goes to this cocktail party and the lady drops her necklace in his trick or treat bag). Now I know I won’t for sure.

hawkdriver on August 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Lily, right now, state government controls what insurance plans are offered and the pricing. If you’re against government involvement, you lost that battle decades ago.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM

My point exactly. The way to remedy this situation is NOT to let the federal government set up it’s own insurance company free of state restrictions. Give me a break. If I hear them say one more time that they’re going to “provide some competition and keep the insurance industry honest” I swear I’m gonna puke. THIS is why some of us call Obama a liar. He’s either lying about what he’s trying to do, or he’s really, really stupid. Take your pick.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM

AARP has become a joke, for seniors. I hope they don’t send me anything, when I come near 50, because it will all get sent back with a big fat NO!!!

capejasmine on August 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM

If you will note, I said the public plan/co-ops as presented. The devil will be in the details but from the way it has been discussed co-ops are just a smaller version of the public plan. They would be subject to national regulation/rate setting/etc.- unlike private insurance and they would be headed up by federal appointees.

Schumer even went one step further and declared that he wanted one national co-op run and regulated by the government. Now if you can tell me how that differs from the public plan, please let me know.

highhopes on August 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Dee, the co-ops are to be owned by their customers/policyholders, like Blue Cross. Federal regulation is not different than state regulation in practical effect, except that federally-regulated co-ops will be able to offer their insurance across state lines, and avoid the problems people now have when they move (they have to get new insurance with new companies in new states, subject to pre-existing condition issues, unless they are covered by an employer).

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Mmm-hmmm. And what happens to my insurer? A private company subject to state regulation, federal regulation, paying taxes and NOT seeded with taxpayer dollars–and, most importantly ALLOWED TO FAIL (unlike the public plan and/or co-op). Don’t you see the imbalance here? Don’t you see that the aim of this ‘federal’ plan is to squeeze out the private insurers? Obama wants a single payer system. The Democrats want a single payer system. They have said so, over and over and over. You need to wake up.

Dee2008 on August 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Looks like Sargento is getting hit hard with Glenn supporters boycotting their products. All of the savory details are at the “defendglenn” site:

yogi41 on August 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Obama/Pelosi are real close to undoing what FDR/LBJ did and that is ensure the senior citizen vote for the dems. If Obama/Pelosi lose the senior citizen vote they will make a politcal mistake the likes that have not been seen in this country since the civil rights debacle.

unseen on August 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Kudos to CBS for

a balanced and informative piece

doing your damned job.

Sad world we live in.

spmat on August 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Oh I see. The battle was lost decades ago. Nothing to see here, just a rusted hulk of free enterprise. We may as well just fold up and let the government take over and eliminate private insurance altogether.

Because there really is no difference at all between some government interference and the complete take over of an entire industry.

Lily on August 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Dee and Lily, point to anything official that says that the co-ops won’t be allowed to fail or explain how this is different than the current situation.

I don’t see your points, but maybe I’m missing something that proves your points.

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM

It gave me great satisfaction to reject a solicitation notice for membership from AARP. I returned the mail after making a few choice comments in their self-addressed and stamped envelope. Get lost you jerks. AARP will never represent me or my opinions.

mobydutch on August 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM

ricer1 on August 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Thanks, ricer1. I’m going to do just that.

BacaDog on August 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I am still angry after viewing the YOUTUBE story about the hippo AARP leader shutting down the meeting with members in Austin. She needed a good ole firing.

mobydutch on August 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM

The American bullsh*t sensors are now on high alert, given these highly stressful economic conditions.

Anything that remotely smells like bullsh*t is tossed overboard abruptly.

Make of that what you will, bullsh*tters.

shaken on August 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Outlander on August 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Bad PR has a multiplier effect over time. Could screw up their profits. AARP is a big time insurance company. They’re in it for the anticipated wind fall promised by the Oh’s! plan. I’m sure they were assured their support would be low key until Oh! went off the telley and blew their cover.
OK to be a Capitalist company as long as your a lefty sharing your profits with the dem’s!

chickasaw42 on August 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I turned 50 last Sept. and was getting stuff from AARP leading up to my B’day. I finally found a way to contact them and told them that if they continue to champion liberal causes I will never join.. Haven’t heard from them since(was getting a mailing monthly).

reshas1 on August 18, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Didn’t Barry say AARP endorsed Obamacare? If Barry said it, it’s gotta be true.

Christien on August 18, 2009 at 5:46 PM

AARP – what a farce – they only represent themselves… a union by another name – and now they are surprised that people are upset?

AARP = UNION minions.

ChalkPerson on August 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I’ve been getting AARP mailings for years. I just kept putting off joining even though my parents were members. Now, forget it.

Missy on August 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM

You can count me as one of those deciding not to join in the first place. I think I’ll check out ASA instead. I’ve heard callers on Rush and other shows mention it before.
Conservative Baby Boomer.

atxcowgirl on August 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM

thmcbb on August 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

… and if you count the number of people who have refused to join once they’ve become [ahem] eligible the number is probably even higher.

/Let’s just say I can express first-hand knowledge of that fact and let it go at that.

AZfederalist on August 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Jimbo3 on August 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Well quite simply the definition that I found on Wolfram Alpha for commodity is: articles of commerce. That is a pretty simple definition, but it doesn’t meet I think what my competitors want to call commodity, note that is just a guess.

S: You’re saying that health care is different than everything else.

W: Health care is not a commodity.

According to Rep Anthony Weiner (D- NY) health care is not a commodity and since the definition of commodity is Articles Of Commerce then the Government has no business trying to regulate health care

Case Closed let’s all go get a beer and throw dart’s at Berry’s likeness.

MRMIKE on August 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM