Dem Senator: Public option is dead; Update: Sebelius video added

posted at 12:30 pm on August 16, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

If Barack Obama hoped to rescue his vision of a health-care system overhaul with his wan effort in the New York Times, a key member of the Senate Democratic Caucus threw a bucket of cold water on those hopes this morning.  Senator Kent Conrad (D-ND) told a television audience that the pursuit of a public option for coverage was a “wasted effort” that would kill any hope of passage in the upper chamber.  Obama, said Conrad, should exercise more humility in approaching a government role in American health care — and even Obama’s key Cabinet member agrees:

“Look, the fact of the matter is there are not the votes in the U.S. Senate for the public option, there never have been,” Conrad said in an interview on “Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace.”

“So to continue to chase that rabbit is, I think, a wasted effort,” Conrad said.

His comments followed Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius’s remark that a public option is “not the essential element” to ensure competition in the health insurance market. Sebelius made the remark on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

A public option is included in legislation moving through the House, and is backed by liberals, who would feel betrayed if it is not a part of a final bill. They see a public insurance plan as critical to ensure that private insurance companies offer coverage and lower costs.

Sebelius signaled a big shift in the White House position today.  It looks as though Barack Obama may have realized that the failure to get the bill finished before the summer recess has killed the Trojan horse through which the White House hoped to accomplish the nationalization of health care. It sounds as though Obama wants to alert Democrats at town-hall meetings to stop defending the public option and expect to see it removed from the bills when Congress returns in September.

Conrad’s abandonment of the public option underscores the necessity of the shift.  Conrad comes from a red state with a high degree of populism, which might have been expected to back ObamaCare and the public option.  It hasn’t worked out that way when Democrats went home to visit constituents.  Not only have red-state voters become passionately opposed to government takeover of health care, but independents and even some liberal districts have seen a high degree of anger and fear of losing a system that works for most Americans.  When opponents of ObamaCare get cheers in townhall meetings with Rep. Keith Ellison in one of the most liberal districts in America, MN-05, we know that advocates have something to fear from voter backlash in 2010.

The big question will be whether liberal Democrats will allow anything to pass without a public option.  Three weeks ago, I would have said that Democrats would have passed anything to allow Obama to escape this trap while saving face.  I’m not sure that’s possible any longer.  The biggest threat now would be that both the Senate and the House might pass separate bills without public options, and then have it restored in conference committee.  This is no time to get complacent.

Update: Politico has the video clip of Sebelius gently retreating from the public option:

A White House aide said in an e-mailed statement Sunday afternoon that “nothing has changed” in the administration’s approach.

“The president has always said that what is essential is that health insurance reform must lower costs, ensure that there are affordable options for all Americans and it must increase choice and competition in the health insurance market,” said Linda Douglass, communications director for the White House Office of Health Reform. “He believes the public option is the best way to achieve those goals.

But taken together, the remarks from Obama, Sebelius and Conrad suggest the White House is preparing supporters for a health care compromise that may well exclude the government option — which could help Obama win enough votes for a sweeping overhaul but touch off a nasty battle inside his own party between liberals and more moderate members who have resisted a bigger government role in health care.

Pass the popcorn, and expect this to get nasty on the Left.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I’m stocking up on popcorn. This flameout will be fun to watch.

DirkaDirka on August 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Here we go.

Watering it down. I wonder what it will look like and if it will really have any teeth.

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM

This CRAP Hoggie is disintegrating before our eyes.

Do not think that Obama is vacationing in M.V. The union thugs, Czars and assorted evil commie pinkos are hold up in his island mansion right now plotting the next hood wink!!

Time to re-arm folks!!

katy on August 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Call back the SEIU!!! Regroup! Print more signs!…..

Ozprey on August 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Good. It’s better to have no public option than a weak one.

crr6 on August 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I hope they don’t think the rest of the bill is okay as long as they drop the public plan. There isn’t anything about this bill worth passing.

Oleta on August 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Dooon’t stop!

Belieeeevin’!

Hold on to that feee-ah-ee-aaah-lin’!

Street lights!
People-ohh-oooo-ohhhh!!!!

Don’t stop!
Believin’!

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM

KILL THE BILL. Don’t stop until the paper it is printed on is ash. No quarter.

Sugarbuzz on August 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, it’s totally socialism, except, in every way not.

CrankyIndependent on August 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM

No worries, the media will provide cover. There are too many other battle fronts to defend to spend even a moment lambasting the president on his disastrous health “insurance” overhaul. The media will be moving on quickly to the next campaign.

piglet on August 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Perhaps this was the plan all along… throw the head fake (All Out Socialism) in order to get the more moderate (Lil’ bit o’ Socialism) plan in the door?

MikeZero on August 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Even without the public option teeth, the House version of the bill has a whole lot of government control in it. I want that stuff gone too.

myrenovations on August 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Let’s hope they change the bill to get rid of the public option. But I would rather see no bill than any bill.

rbj on August 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Kill it all. There is no sense in trying to save this Death Bill. It’s the Grim Reaper for everyone, not just the elderly and the un-borrn.

BetseyRoss on August 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Keep whatever options undermine and destroy this Nanny State travesty.

I want the Public Option retained at all costs!

As long as it helps KILLS THE BILL!

profitsbeard on August 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Heh. Passing a bill with that has anything in it that helps anyone is “not the essential element.” News.

The Calibur on August 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Right-Wing Crazies Against Insuring the Poor! – Not.

perroviejo on August 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Ok, so this is far from over, but after watching footage of the town halls and talking to whole lotta people about this legislation, I finally get to join the party and say:

Now I’m finally feeling the Hope! Yes we did!!

patriette on August 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Would you take a treat from Barack Obama?

Stephen M on August 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Krauthammer called it in late July:

I’m absolutely sure that at the end of the year, he will have a bill. It will have the words “health-care reform” on it. It will be extremely watered down: All of the ballast that the Blue Dogs were protesting against, including, I’m sure, the public plan, is going to be thrown overboard.

And it will be a very weak version of what we have now, probably even harmless—which will be a great American achievement. But he’s going to have something. He won’t have it in August, but he will have to have it at the end of the year.

Democrats understand his presidency is over if he gets nothing.

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I love that song. So appropriate.

FontanaConservative on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Good. It’s better to have no public option than a weak one.

crr6 on August 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Now we know the liberal progressive talking points. Thanks for sharing.

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Yes. We. Can.

schafkopf on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Now one wonders what lurks in the background? This is good news, but do not sleep, the tiger has not changed it’s stripes, as they regroup, so must we….

Onward Forward and Upward!!

RoxanneH on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

As I’ve posted before, Kos said on Olbermann’s show they would kill the bill if this happened and demand it be voted on after 2010. If I had some knee high rubber boots and it weren’t a gorgeous Sunday day, I’d wade into dailyKos and HuffPo swamps to see.

Marcus on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

This is no time to get complacent.

Amen!

As far as this defeat goes it has a double blessing.

1. We don’t get the PO

2. The Dems won’t be able to keep from turning up the volume on the racist/nazi/neanderthal knob. They know only one way to win and that is loud and ugly. Thank goodness you can’t take the stupid out of bully.

Limerick on August 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Righting one wrong, or 1,000 pages of wrongs don’t make it right.

fourdeucer on August 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

In the Dems’ secret meetings they determined that losing their congressional seats in 2010 just wasn’t worth it.

perroviejo on August 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

You want to ensure competition in the insurance market? Get the government the hell out of it.

darwin on August 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I would just like to see them all debate the constitutionality of it. Where in Article I, section eight does it give the Fed govt the power to interfere.

larvcom on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

They are in retreat, now’s the time to redouble the pressure to kill this bill, in it’s entirety.

Rebar on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

When the remainder of this thing is dead, then we can say we’ve done something.

A compromise on this monstrosity of a bill still amounts to baby step incrementalism, rather than the goose step incrementalism we were discussing.

applebutter on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

KILL the BILL. No Negotiations.

Claire McCaskill asked the question: “Don’t you trust me?”

NO. Hell No. The People Have Spoken – - – WE DON’T TRUST CONGRESS… PERIOD

phreshone on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I’m stocking up on popcorn. This flameout will be fun to watch.

DirkaDirka on August 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Two things, Love the name! and two, I will bring the vodka!

tanvec on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

As sure as y’all think you are about this…it was never a forgone conclusion.

myrenovations on August 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Without the teeth, im sure even hardline progressives are inclined to agree with you. Though, its a shame we’ll continue to have to see people going into bankruptcy from cancer and the like…but for now, the wicked red herring of communism serves its purpose yet again.

ernesto on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Rebar on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Solidly in your “amen corner”

Ozprey on August 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

perroviejo on August 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I’m pretty sure they’ll be losing seats anyway. The way they attacked and treated average Americans protesting a government takeover of their lives was and is uncalled for.

The ads write themselves.

darwin on August 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

HELL NO.

“Co-op non-profit option” is just like the
“public option” pig, but with lipstick. It is still a pig.

Norwegian on August 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I forgot to mention the probabilty of a Cap and tax bill now that the HR 3200 is circling the crapper.

larvcom on August 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Rebar on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

AMEN!!

Kill the bill … KILL IT!

darwin on August 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

In difficult times like these Democrat Presidents bomb aspirin factories.

Limerick on August 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Hate to say it, but Olbermann’s show Monday will be a must-see. “Speshul Komment”, pa-lease!

Marcus on August 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Dem Senator: Public option respect for government is dead

Fixed!!

landlines on August 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

You can bet your @ss the Dems will be back. Had they succeeded in instituting government control of our health care, Republicans would have to run on “taking free health care away from the poor.” A guaranteed way not to win an election.

perroviejo on August 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I’m having a hard time following these developments. Zero is out there penning an op-ed about why we need O B care, yet their is a full retreat on public option. Are the proponents of this thing so screwed up that they can’t produce a coordinated message? Is this evidence of a split that could ultimately derail the whole messy bill? Or is this some kind of a “dupe the public” strategy?

bestwins on August 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Or is this some kind of a “dupe the public” strategy?

bestwins on August 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I’d call it chaos in the ranks. Rahm can’t figure out how to twist arms hard enough to keep the peeps in line.

Limerick on August 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Talk about a rock and a hard place. The truth is if the Democrats were not so nuts, there probably could be a compromise, if that compromise was directed at people with pre existing conditions or something like that. I think most people would go along with some tinkering with the system, if it were only directed at people with specific problems…it is the whole notion of takeover and overhaul that has them worried.

Terrye on August 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Wow. Do you think Obama will keep his campaign promise and televise the reworking of the bill on C-Span so they will have total transparency?

RobertInLexington on August 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Krauthammer called it in late July:

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Slightly OT:

I love me some Rush, but how Charlie K didn’t end up at the top of the list of most respected conservatives, I’ll never know.

Purple Fury on August 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

This has been the biggest snow job ever perpetrated on the nation. Imagine the size of the screwing they had planned against the nation that with a 78 seat supermajority in the House and a 60 seat filibuster proof majority in the Senate they are afraid of passing the so called “public option”.

That is why we must resist any negotiations or compromises with this bunch of socialist thieves. Give them nothing. No cover.

When they passed Medicare, a less onerous and intrusive law in 1965, they had major bipartisan consensus in both chambers of congress, they had the state governments in agreement, and they had broad public support from both parties. They have NONE of this now (and this law is much more disruptive than medicare ever was).

Give them nothing.

elduende on August 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Looked dead, didn’t I? But I wasn’t. But it wasn’t from lack of trying, I can tell you that. Actually, Bill’s last bullet put me in a coma – A coma I was to lie in for four years. When I woke up, I went on what the movie advertisements refer to as a ‘roaring rampage of revenge.’ I roared. And I rampaged. And I got bloody satisfaction. I’ve killed a hell of a lot of people to get to this point, but I have only one more. The last one. The one I’m driving to right now. The only one left. And when I arrive at my destination, I am gonna kill Bill.

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

We don’t need this bill.

What the White House is doing is a PR stunt to get this bill passed, while sneaking in public option or some egregious amendment. Everything with the Obama is a rhetorical flourish.
As Geraghty said, whatever Obama says has an expiration date attached.

cubachi on August 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Or is this some kind of a “dupe the public” strategy?

bestwins on August 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I just think they’re incompetent.

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Reid left no doubt he intends to get a health reform bill passed in the Senate, no matter what erupts at town hall meetings and whether any Republicans support the end result. “We can’t let the insurance industry win another round. We’re going to win this round,” he said.

If the bill doesn’t have a public insurance plan to compete with private ones, do the insurance companies win? I asked. “The public option is something that the vast majority of Americans want. They know that the enemy is the insurance industry,” Reid said. But he added that the public option “is not the only thing that’s important.” It’s also important, he said, to make sure insurance companies can’t deny policies to people who have pre-existing conditions or drop people if they develop a problem.

The House, with a large Democratic majority, is expected to pass a bill with a public option in it. If the Senate version doesn’t have one, I asked, does the public option have a shot when Senate and House negotiators meet to smooth out their differences in a conference committee?

“I’m not going to — I have to get a bill off the floor,” Reid said with a low chuckle. “So I’m not going to be threatening or suggesting anything that might come in conference. Get the picture?” I did.

HT: Powerline last week.

The Right may have won a skirmish. It has not necessarily won the battle, and it sure hasn’t won the war.

Wethal on August 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Or is this some kind of a “dupe the public” strategy?

bestwins on August 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

That’s my vote. People are fooling themselves if they think the libs are gonna roll over on this. They’re at the “say anything to get the damn thing to pass” stage now.

Purple Fury on August 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Come to think of it, a bill for health care reform can be presented that will provide a public option for Congress and it’s staff only. Let’s see a rationing of health services for those old farts left to wither and die in the halls in Congress.

larvcom on August 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Can you say bait and switch?

HoustonRight on August 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of Woodstock…..and I was there, I find this so appropriate for today……..

There’s something happening here
What it is ain’t exactly clear
There’s a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it’s time we stop, children, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down
There’s battle lines being drawn
Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
I think it’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side
It’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you’re always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down
Stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down
Stop, now, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down
Stop, children, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

Everybody sing along!

Knucklehead on August 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Good. It’s better to have no public option than a weak one.

crr6 on August 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM

You have almost reached the level of an intelligent post, with this one.

It would actually be “better” to have;
1. No public option
2. Tort reform
3. Insurance plans across state lines
4. Affordable catastrophic health coverage
5. HSA’s

So, you’re post is half right:

>Good. It’s better to have no public option..

massrighty on August 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM

The ads write themselves.

darwin on August 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

If the Repubs have the kahunas to go for it.

The impaired short-term memory of the American people worries me.

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM

This is all bullsh!t. This is just renaming hoping that public outcry will die down sufficiently. These people aren’t going away.

ddrintn on August 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM

…Or is this some kind of a “dupe the public” strategy?

bestwins on August 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

“Dupe the public” has been the left’s guiding principle since Moby Dick was a sardine.

perroviejo on August 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Knucklehead on August 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

POIFECT!!!!

katy on August 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Knucklehead on August 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

All we need is hippie lettuce

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM

They are still pushing a public option, just wrapped up in co-op packaging. Also, we are now up to 50 mil uninsured.

Facing mounting opposition to the overhaul, administration officials left open the chance for a compromise with Republicans that would include health insurance cooperatives. Such a concession is likely to enrage his liberal supporters but could deliver Obama a much-needed win on a top domestic priority opposed by GOP lawmakers.

Officials from both political parties reached across the aisle in an effort to find compromises on proposals they left behind when they returned to their districts for an August recess.

Obama has been pressing for the government to run a health insurance organization to help cover the nation’s almost 50 million uninsured, but Republicans remain steadfast in arguing against it.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that government alternative to private health insurance is “not the essential element” of the administration’s health care overhaul. The White House would be open to co-ops, she said, a sign that Democrats want a compromise so they can declare a victory on the showdown.

“I think there will be a competitor to private insurers,” Sebelius said. “That’s really the essential part, is you don’t turn over the whole new marketplace to private insurance companies and trust them to do the right thing.”

Obama’s top spokesman refused to say a public option was a make-or-break choice for the administration.

“What I am saying is the bottom line for this for the president is, what we have to have is choice and competition in the insurance market,” White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.

Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., chairman of the Senate’s budget committee, pushed the co-op model as an alternative.

“It’s not government-run and government-controlled,” he said. “It’s membership-run and membership-controlled. But it does provide a nonprofit competitor for the for-profit insurance companies, and that’s why it has appeal on both sides.”

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM

All we need is hippie lettuce

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Dear gawd! How much e-coli is in that?

Limerick on August 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

All we need is hippie lettuce

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Any magical brownies.

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Dear gawd! How much e-coli is in that?

Limerick on August 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Enough to warrant a trip to Obama County Hospital

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Watch for a Trojan horse in any legislation going forward. They will not stop, ever.

Vashta.Nerada on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Any and magical brownies

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

d’Oh

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

They got it backwards….it’s the Dems in Congress that needs to be saved…Obama has already shown that he will outsource all legislation to them and be a rubber stamp, so if this thing failed, it would be the Dems in Congress who would not be able to pass anything and probably lose big in 2010. This is all about saving Dem power in Congress…Presidents come and go.

tatersalad on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

So, come 2010 are the Senate Dems going to go out and campaign on “Hey, you gave us 60 seats last time and we couldn’t pass our wettest dreams. Give us 70 seats this time and we’ll surely get it done.”

myrenovations on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

This is going to be a classic bait-and-switch. Keep up the pressure. Call your Congressmen. Obama is NOT going to sign some weak bill as outlined by Krauthammer in Keebs post above (12:41 p.m). Where is the Republican plan? Where are the DEMANDS for tort reform. The dems are on the ropes. Don’t let the GOP fail to throw the last punches.

Rational Thought on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

If a bill is passed that only stops denial of pre-existing conditions and the dropping of claimants without opening the market across state lines then the only result will be higher premiums and more people without insurance.

This will allow the dems to blame republicans on stoping insurance reform and provide cover in the next elections.

This bill needs to die in its entirety.

HoustonRight on August 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM

How many of those 50 mil would still be insured if the Dems would have reigned in Fanny and Freddie and the economy didn’t tank?

larvcom on August 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Hey let’s be careful here about even thinking The Messiah could be so sneaky as to kick to the curb the “Public Option” and then have it miraculously reappear in House/Senate Conference. Come on………read “30 Degrees Below Zero” in the Green Room here posted via HotAir to see just how ethical The Messiah and Rezko and Ayers and the Rev really are…….why it is outlandish to even think of someone “born in Hawaii” to be a liar and a cheat ……..right?

Cinday Blackburn on August 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM

The impaired short-term memory of the American people worries me.

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Exactly.
Americans have this forgive and forget thing…but sometimes it is a fault. As in trusting someone who could never have been trusted in the past.

ddrintn on August 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Right.
I don’t understand why so many are happy with this.
I’m actually more scared now.

yellow_railroad on August 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM

NO COMPROMISE. Drop the whole darn thing. It’s unconstitutional and unwanted. The government’s only legitimate role is in regulating the market. Otherwise let the free-market loose to work its magic.

DerKrieger on August 16, 2009 at 12:58 PM

They’ll just put a different coat of paint on the public option, and run it through again. Some kind of heavily-regulated “co-op” or something.

If the government controls everything a “private” company does, it’s still socialism, even if the government doesn’t legally “own” it. When a neighbor can tell you where to drive your car, what color it should be, where to buy gas, who should repair it, what accessories you can buy, and who you can take for rides, does it really matter which of you has the “pink slip?”

tbrosz on August 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Knucklehead on August 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Groovy!

d1carter on August 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM

larvcom on August 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Just so. U.S.C. Art. 1 Sec. 8 wouldn’t matter, were it not for the circumstance that the American Founders were so much more intelligent and so much more attentive to the political works of the philosophers, than are most of the Americans’ present legislators. I’m disappointed when I consider that, as far as I know, Allahpundit and Ed Morrissey rarely or never bring up the enumerated powers and Art. 1 Sec. 8.

Kralizec on August 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM

txag92 on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

quit bogarting.

HoustonRight on August 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM

There should be no compromise because unlike Conservatives the Progressives never stop moving forward. They are always on offense. If we compromise on a little bit now, they will be back in a few years for a little bit more. And each little bit will eventually get them all they want.

DerKrieger on August 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM

The impaired short-term memory of the American people worries me.

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I dunno … many of these people have never been politically active. The most dangerous thing to the democrats is not the fact that all these people are protesting, but that they’re now reading, researching … finding out who Obama and the democrats really are.

Once they know that … they will never forget and will spread that info like wildfire.

darwin on August 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Polite Alternatives for Sh!t Sandwich.

Brown Bomber
Poop Sub
Feces Hero
Defacation Grinder
Turd Torpedo
Dirty Sanchez poor boy
Cleveland Steamer on Rye
Stinky Blimpie
A Brown Foot Long with Syrup
A Dark brown Coney
A Real Sloppy Joe
Diarrheal Zepplin

All of which fit this stinker Sub drizzled in bowel fudge of a Bill.

Pelayo on August 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Don’t let the GOP fail to throw the last punches.

Rational Thought on August 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Yeah, right.
And these jerkos still have the balls to ask me for money.

Lanceman on August 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Give a mouse a cookie and what does he want?…..

A glass of milk.

tatersalad on August 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

The impaired short-term memory of the American people worries me.

keebs on August 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM

A bad first impression is hard to scrub away.

blatantblue on August 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

A skirmish won but not the battle or the war.

roy_batty on August 16, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Kralizec on August 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM

No one brings it up. Ever. I never hear Mark Levin or Rush mention it either. This needs to be hammered because if we don’t draw a Constitutional line in the sand here and now then the Constitution has lost all meaning except in using the 1st Amendment to protect strip clubs or other such nonsense.

DerKrieger on August 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Don’t get complacent . . . if they’re killing this beast you can bet they have some ulterior motives. “Bait & Switch” is right on target.

rplat on August 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM

On the run. Keep firing.

thebrokenrattle on August 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Sebelius signaled a big shift in the White House position today.

This is too funny. The Precedent just attempted to show the dire need for his “public option” yesterday and they are dropping it, today.

I cannot imagine how people in the future are going to look at all this stupidity and wonder why we didn’t just find the affirmative action moron ineligible to hold the Precedency (which is clearly true) and toss his retarded a$$ out of office before he did any more damage to this nation.

Crazy.

progressoverpeace on August 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM

We’re facing down a ravenous polar bear and it offers to pull one tooth. Gee isn’t that better now. Defang the critter. Kill the bill

chemman on August 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM

The GOP absolutely must get out there and discuss their free market plan to achieve universal coverage and the reduction of costs. The free market must triumph.

DerKrieger on August 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM

The next Battle:

America’s Climate Security Act of 2007 (S. 2191), sponsored by Senators Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) and John Warner (R-VA), is the latest and fastest-moving “cap and trade” bill introduced in Congress this year. All such climate change measures warrant careful scrutiny, as they would likely increase energy costs and do considerably more economic harm than environmental good.

A Costly Proposition!!!!!!!

A very costly one indeed, this needs to be killed…..

Onward Forward and Upward!!

RoxanneH on August 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Crazy 1:02PM, let’s hope he stays in office long enough to irreparably damage his party.

roy_batty on August 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM

RoxanneH on August 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Ahh were just gettin warmed up here. If I was half the man I was 20 yrs ago I’d take a flame thrower to this place.
-A. Pacino

HoustonRight on August 16, 2009 at 1:05 PM

roy_batty on August 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM

It’s not worth the immense risk. The Dems can kill themselves without The Precedent, but he is the most dangerous figure to ever show up on the American scene. The sooner he is out, the better.

progressoverpeace on August 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM