Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit posted this clip from Barack Obama’s town halls, adding feet stealers to the new ObamaCare lexicon of Evil Medical Professionals, a new entry after Tonsil Vultures. There is a point that the well-deserved avalanche of criticism misses, though.  The clip has Obama explaining that government needs to take over the American health-care system to stop doctors from getting rich off of amputations of limbs from diabetic patients:

On the doctors’ front, one of the things we can do is to reimburse doctors who are providing preventive care and not just the surgeon who provides care after somebody is sick. (Applause.) Nothing against surgeons. I want surgeons — I don’t want to be getting a bunch of letters from surgeons now. I’m not dissing surgeons here. (Laughter.)

All I’m saying is let’s take the example of something like diabetes, one of — a disease that’s skyrocketing, partly because of obesity, partly because it’s not treated as effectively as it could be. Right now if we paid a family — if a family care physician works with his or her patient to help them lose weight, modify diet, monitors whether they’re taking their medications in a timely fashion, they might get reimbursed a pittance.

But if that same diabetic ends up getting their foot amputated, that’s $30,000, $40,000, $50,000 — immediately the surgeon is reimbursed. Well, why not make sure that we’re also reimbursing the care that prevents the amputation, right? That will save us money. (Applause.)

But here’s what the Really Smart Guy in the Oval Office apparently doesn’t understand about the medical system.  Diabetics are treated by general practitioners and endocrinologists, neither of whom perform amputations.  The AMA pointed out that Obama was off by a factor of 100 on the costs, but thus far no one has pointed out that the incentive structure he assumes doesn’t exist.  Only after a GP and the endocrinologist, plus probably an orthopedist and a couple of other specialists, decide that the limb cannot be saved does the surgeon remove the limb.  It has nothing to do with the compensation that the GP and the endocrinologist receives, or an imaginary windfall for an amputation that will have nothing to do with either a GP or an endocrinologist.  I know this from long-time personal experience as the spouse of a Type 1 diabetic who lost her eyesight and kidneys to the disease, and who worried about amputations for years before her pancreas transplant.

If Barack Obama doesn’t understand that much about medical care in the US, why should we be listening to his ideas to radically restructure it?  Maybe he should quit shooting off his mouth, withdraw this bill, and learn something about the industry he expects to dismantle and reassemble.

Addendum: Normally I’d put a link to Chris Muir’s Day by Day site here, but today I want to do more than that. Chris has a fundraising drive to keep his excellent cartoon alive.  Be sure to drop a few dollars in his collection to keep one of the Rightosphere’s most talented warriors in the fight!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

juxtaposing Obamacare with the USPS…. effectually saying that his plan would suck just like the post office.

way to go there….. champ.

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Then why are doctors paid based off their end of life counseling effectiveness.

Under ObamaCare, greedy doctors really will make money killing people!

BadgerHawk on August 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Fear mongering.

Tonus on August 13, 2009 at 8:10 AM

His IQ is off the charts.

jeff_from_mpls on August 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I can cut off feet for $30,000…

andrewtf on August 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM

If I’m going to lose a foot, it’s going to be from breaking it off in some liberal’s ass. No doctor’s involved, at least for me anyway.

I can’t wait to find out what new evil plot of the medical industry Obama has uncovered at tomorrow’s “town hall” meeting.

uknowmorethanme on August 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM

There is a great line near the end of the movie “The Devil’s Advocate” with Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino where as Reeves, as the son of Satan asks Pacino (Satan) “Why the Law Dad” and Satan replies “Because the law, my boy, puts us into everything” I think the same question could be asked of Obama, why health care? “Because health care, my boy, allows us control everything”

BrainofS on August 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM

FEAR FEAR FEARRRRRRRRRRRRRR from the Oval Office, and the only Dr. Evil we see is the one behind the TOTUS.

rawr.

bluelightbrigade on August 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM

If Barack Obama doesn’t understand that much about medical care in the US, why should we be listening to his ideas to radically restructure it? Maybe he should quit shooting off his mouth, withdraw this bill, and learn something about the industry he expects to dismantle and reassemble.

Why should we be listening to the filthy liar at all? This legislation needs to die and the rat bastard traitor needs to fail. It really is that simple.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Ed, what he apparently does not know is that patient comnpliance is the key to treating diabetes. It is not the doctor whether surgeon or endocrinologist, but the patient who controls the outcomes of diabetes. But you will never see him telling his hordes of worshipers that they will be penalized if they don’t control their blood sugars because that is closer to the truth. Show me a diagnosed diabetic and I’ll show you a physician who has attempted to treat that person. The finger pointing ignorance with this man is amazing.

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:14 AM

So, I went in for a checkup… they knocked me out. Once I woke up, my throat hurt, my voice was gone, my butt hurt and I had a wooden leg….

I think this calls for a tune…

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Then why are doctors paid based off their end of life counseling effectiveness.

Under ObamaCare, greedy doctors really will make money killing people!

BadgerHawk on August 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM

I agree, it’s not reimbursement per se, it’s the greedy doctors. He sounds like a lawyer…oh, wait…

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Team Hopey sounds like he wants to start a
limb lottery!!

And,sounds like a whole new government entity
needs to be made,with a Czar no doubt!!

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

BadgerHawk on August 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Doctors will get paid to encourage you to pull the plug and stop being a burden on your children and society. But these are not your doctors, they are a whole new growth industry that would arise out of the filthy liar’s plan. Essentially a government certified death squad to encourage you to do the right thing. Very Orwellian.

Chuck Grassley has it right. End of life decisions are supposed to be made before you are old enough that Medicare can pay for it.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Hey, buddy, can you spare a foot?

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

the wooden leg czar… nice.

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Ed Morrissey: The AMA pointed out that Obama was off by a factor of 100 on the costs, but thus far no one has pointed out that the incentive structure he assumes doesn’t exist.

Ed continues to do the work that the MSM refuses to do because they remain in the tank for Obama. Very good job. Thank you so much for your work.

Loxodonta on August 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Could Ed go from “best person” to “worst person” in 24 hours?

forest on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Ed

Will Senators and Congress be able to continue their current health plan if they lose in the 2010 election or will they have to utilize the proletariat health plan we are having rammed down our throats when they lose?

yoda on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

nice set of feet you got there boy… $$$$ in his eyes.

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Where are the doctors up in arms over this and speaking out??

ohiobabe on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

yoda on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

They are set for life.

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

The finger pointing ignorance with this man is amazing.

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Not really. Some of us saw through the hype from the beginning.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

This is the comment that I find really disturbing:

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Team Hopey sounds like he wants to start a
limb lottery!!

And,sounds like a whole new government entity
needs to be made,with a Czar no doubt!!

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Foot-in-Mouth Czar

Loxodonta on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The Boss is on Fox and Friends right now! Gosh, Obama is an expert on everything, isn’t he? Not! Obama is flailing while he fails.

kingsjester on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Maybe it’s time to behave more like a president and less like a stand-up comedian when discussing such a serious matter. Putz.

sherry on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

yeah, the boss was having a battle of the wits with an unarmed woman….

boo yah

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

It’s racist to use facts against Dear Leader.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I’ll amputate a foot for, let’s see:
1) $30 bottle of bourbon
2) another $30 bottle of bourbon for patient.
3) $10 for ibuprofen for patient
4) $25 to sterilize saw (optional)
5) $1000 for amputation
6) $500 for clean up

$1595 grand total. Plus, you get to take the foot home with you! In a free of cost plastic grocery bag!*

*as long as plastic grocery bags are legal

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Its the daily Liberal HealthCare soap opera,with
Dr.Obama Kildare in charge!!(Sarc).

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I’m starting to feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest….

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

yoda on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

It’s my understanding once they are elected to office once, they are able to keep that plan for life.

rightside on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

you forgot a tax on the biohazard disposal. that’s extra.

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I think this calls for a tune…

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

What the hell does this even mean? Who get reimbursed? The family? The Doc? Is saying that Doctors right now do not try to educate a patient about diabetes? I call BS. If I were a physician, I would be so upset. I am not a physician and I am still upset. Who is going to make these people take their meds? Who is going to make them stick to a diet? Who, Barry, who?

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Ed, Ed, you lovable naif, you. He doesn’t give a SH*T about health care. It’s all about CONTROL, first, middle and last.

inviolet on August 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

” I once met a man with a wooden leg named Smith.”
” What was the name of the other leg?”

I think we would need more than a spoonful of sugar to help Obamacare go down.

To me, that is the thing that really scares me about govt. health care. Can’t you see Diabetes Czars knocking on doors and checking fridges and cabinets for chips and candy. And Exercise Czars saying “You vill exercise!”freemo

Not far off. The language in the bill allows for “experts” to come into homes and give “parenting advice.” Can you say “antihomeschooling?”

Beaglemom on August 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Mr. “Best Person”,

Obama better hope he doesnt get diabetes. Smokers with diabetes are sure candidates for limb amputation. But how can this effect an empty suit?

Rovin on August 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Not to mention he stated that colonoscopies detect prostate cancer…what a dumb a$$.

Sam Adams on August 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Ed: Let’s be fair.

He did not say the GP gets the money. He said the “surgeon”. He does have a point. The Mayo Clinic says the same thing.

I just went through very issue and now I’m getting a second opinion.

Mr. President: Get Health Care Reform Right

luckybogey on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I wonder if a bitter/clinger accidently shoots himself in the foot,deer or bird hunting,I wonder what the Obama
policy is regarding that situation!!

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

It’s especially galling that The One makes the same error as he did with the Tonsil Vultures — you would think that froo-froo would have sensitized him to the concept of GPs vs. specialists. I don’t think it’s because he’s dumb –it’s his jaw-dropping arrogance that immunizes him to common sense.

KS Rex on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

This is my first post on hotair. I want start out by saying that I believe Mr. O’bummer is trying to make this country into a paradise for his cronies and thieves built on the backs of the lower class (after total annihalation of the middle class). He expected the resistance of the people but not the response he is now getting. He has already showed that he is prepared to call his mindless union thugs to attack true americans. Now though he is a cornered rat, watch for violence to increase. But now as shown here in this speech that without Axelrod feeding his words into TOTUS for him he is just an ignorant Chicago thug.

toongoon on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Where are the doctors up in arms over this and speaking out??

ohiobabe on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Makes you wonder, he is painting them as more evil than AIG execs. He has no respect for professionals in any capacity.

sherry on August 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Ya know, the more the Joker talks, the more you realize he doesn’t speak in American.

tarpon on August 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The fact that the government wants access to patients electronic medical records and bank accounts worries more than state-order exercise. Why do they need that data? Will you get a letter delivered by the (paragon of government efficiency) USPS notifying you that it seems you are not taking your diet seriously enough so they’ve deducted a fine from your account?

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Maybe this LIFETIME INSURANCE FOR SENATORS AND CONGRESSMEN should be brought up at townhall meetings. I don’t think the public knows this and I think this might be an important fact to know.

yoda on August 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM

you forgot a tax on the biohazard disposal. that’s extra.

ted c on August 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Dang. You’re right. That’ll be another $500. Plus now I’ll have to hire you to be my accountant. Which, thanks to Dear Leader, will wind up costing patients another $500. Still, $2595 is darn cheap for a foot.

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM

It’s all of a piece, isn’t it? It’s all govt. coercion and bribery. Oh there’s plenty to worry about with this plan, that was just the little portion of that quote that got me thinking.

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

This is alread taking place in Britain.

BadgerHawk on August 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

luckybogey on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

What he essentially said is why should the surgeon get $50K when that money can be spread over the GP and others? It’s wealth distribution by another name.

What the filthy liar is really trying to say is that preventive care is better than lopping off a foot. Fair enough as far as that goes but that isn’t sufficient to pay the bill for all the extras like providing preventive services for all the illegals.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

We all know what this is about: absolute control over our lives from cradle to grave. The beginning of the eradication of the freedoms we have as Americans. Health Care is 1/6th of the economy and touches everyone. It was the logical place to start. And they’ve been trying to do this since the Hillary fiasco. Stand up, America! Do not go quietly into that good night!

kingsjester on August 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Why is he worrying about feet being amputated when he wants government to pay to suck a newborn babys brains out.

Go figure.

bluegrass on August 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Ed: Let’s be fair.

I just went through very issue and now I’m getting a second opinion.

Mr. President: Get Health Care Reform Right

luckybogey on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

If we really want to be fair, Barry should admit that PATIENT COMPLIANCE is the biggest predicter of diabetes outcome and that no one can make the patient compliant other than the patient himself. That is not to say that some people have a more difficult disease to manage, but overall, if he were honest he would state the true the reason people have a lot of complications is because of poor compliance, not because of poor medical care.

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Team Hopey sounds like he wants to start a
limb lottery!!

And,sounds like a whole new government entity
needs to be made,with a Czar no doubt!!

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM
Foot-in-Mouth Czar

Loxodonta on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Loxodonta:No kidding,Obama sounds like he’s shoot’n
for more government expansion,one uh and ah
at a time!:)

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Where are the doctors up in arms over this and speaking out??

ohiobabe on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Here and here.

KS Rex on August 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Beaglemom on August 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I’m so glad you mentioned home schooling. My eyes have really been opened to how big a role government schooling has played in getting the populace ready for big-govt. intrusion and socialism. I have no kids yet, but there is no way in hell that I will let the govt. educate them.

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Where are the doctors up in arms over this and speaking out??

ohiobabe on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Protecting their arms and tongues.

ICBM on August 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM

African rumors
Of penis-stealing witches
Learned from his Grandma

Haiku Guy on August 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I wonder if Obamacare will cover women’s prostate checks?

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I wonder if Obamacare will cover women’s prostate checks?

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

And men’s gyno check ups.

BadgerHawk on August 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM

This is alread taking place in Britain.

BadgerHawk on August 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

That doesn’t surprise me in the least. I spend a lot of time on a British board (not political) and it amazes me how much they welcome the govt. and castigate anyone who wants a little freedom to live their lives as they would.

And that’s happening here too. Give welfare recipients $200 for school supplies and you’ve got them for life.

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM

kingsjester on August 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

There are so many reasons to hate this bill but for me the worst is my doctor telling me he detected X and based on my government records, I am only eligible for operation A. Then I will have to bribe and negotiate with my doctor to perform operation B for a small cash sum to be performed after hours.

sherry on August 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Hannity had a guest on his radio show that summed it up perfectly. If passed this legislation would be the largest transfer of power from the legislative to executive branch of government in history. Essentially the filthy liar is asking, and his party is willing to give, the executive branch virtually complete control over American’s lives.

We are witnessing an attempted coup by socialists. They are wrapping it up as healthcare reform but that is essentially a trojan horse to get into position to launch a much more malicious and intrusive agenda.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM

I do have one question here

1) Democrats all talk about how we need to spend more money for education.

but

2) Now Dear Leader talks about “containing” health care costs.

So are we supposed to want to spend more money on allegedly public goods or not spend more money?

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Haiku Guy says “Strange…
Some words seem to land your post
In the “REVIEW” box…”

Haiku Guy says “Well…
I understand caution in
Family fora…”

Haiku Guy on August 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM

This is my first post on hotair

toongoon on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

toongoon: Welcome aboard!:)

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Obama’s ignorance is becoming increasingly apparant. He knows nothing about medical practice. If he was smart he’d just shut up. KEEP TALKING OBAMA!

RustBelt on August 13, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Excuse me. I prefer myself and my doctor making life and death health decisions about me. Not some nameless bureaucrat who failed sandbox in Kindergarten.

kingsjester on August 13, 2009 at 8:39 AM

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Why not just give everybody a voucher and let them decide how much they want to spend on healthcare, or education, or whatever? None of these things are the role of the central government.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM

It was your body
Obamacare makes it theirs
Death panel decides

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM

kingsjester on August 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Absolutely. And I think people know this instinctively, which is why the protests have developed so quickly and with so much anger. In a way, I’m glad that Obama and the Dems decided to start this fight rather than Cap and Trade. People see C&T as something more remote. They may understand it will hurt the economy, but it’s more distant to them.

But people understand on a visceral level how health care intersects with privacy and freedom and thus are standing and making their voices heard. They’ve woken the Silent Majority.

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

How about Obama sticks to something he knows? Maybe he can stir up some racial resentment somewhere and get people out there to take “care” of us. I am so sick of him.

TXMomof3 on August 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Sounds like Barry spends most of the day reading Daily Kos which is good for Kos, but is it good for America?

NoDonkey on August 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Lets see,he confuses heads of states,then theres his facts
before he speaks,bows often,wears mom jeans while eating
cupcakes,has a spontaneous condition,that makes him go on
a fly massacre,and theres that 57 states thing,and going
from his talking points of going to 3,skipping number 2,so
the math thingy is covered,

its a daily smorgasbord of possible gaffes!!!!

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I don’t know what kind of doctor’s Barry has been visiting all of his life, but as usual, he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

My wife is diabetic, and I can assure you that every time she goes in for a check up, her doctor talks to her about losing weight, eating properly, taking her meds on time.

The idea that the medical profession doesn’t care about health maintenance is just another of his evil lies.

MarkTheGreat on August 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM

His IQ is off the charts.

jeff_from_mpls on August 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM

At the low end.

MarkTheGreat on August 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Only after a GP and the endocrinologist, plus probably an orthopedist and a couple of other specialists, decide that the limb cannot be saved does the surgeon remove the limb. It has nothing to do with the compensation that the GP and the endocrinologist receives, or an imaginary windfall for an amputation that will have nothing to do with either a GP or an endocrinologist.

As a Chicago politician involved with the unions, Obama’s probably figuring the surgeon’s kicking back some $$$ for every amputation patient the GP refers to him, since that’s the way the people he’s known operate.

jon1979 on August 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM

freemo on August 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM

‘Smith!’ screamed the shrewish voice from the telescreen. ’6079 Smith W.! Yes, you! Bend lower, please! You can do better than that. You’re not trying. Lower, please! That’s better, comrade. Now stand at ease, the whole squad, and watch me.’

A sudden hot sweat had broken out all over Winston’s body. His face remained completely inscrutable. Never show dismay! Never show resentment! A single flicker of the eyes could give you away. He stood watching while the instructress raised her arms above her head and — one could not say gracefully, but with remarkable neatness and efficiency — bent over and tucked the first joint of her fingers under her toes.

‘There, comrades! That’s how I want to see you doing it. Watch me again. I’m thirty-nine and I’ve had four children. Now look.’ She bent over again. ‘You see my knees aren’t bent. You can all do it if you want to,’ she added as she straightened herself up. ‘Anyone under forty-five is perfectly capable of touching his toes. We don’t all have the privilege of fighting in the front line, but at least we can all keep fit. Remember our boys on the Malabar front! And the sailors in the Floating Fortresses! Just think what they have to put up with. Now try again. That’s better, comrade, that’s much better,’ she added encouragingly as Winston, with a violent lunge, succeeded in touching his toes with knees unbent, for the first time in several years.

Haiku Guy on August 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Big Foot is not going to be happy about this.

LibTired on August 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM

The great tragedy is that he doesn’t understand anything except power politics and self promotion.

davo on August 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM

but is it good for America?

NoDonkey on August 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Only if America consisted of unions and Acorn :)

sherry on August 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Let me apologize to all the type 1 diabetics. In my previous posts I was refering to Type 2 diabetics, not type 1 diabetics. Type 1 diabetes is much harder to control and will often lead to complications even with excellent patient compliance. Type 2 diabetes is totally controlled by lifestyle and/or medications compliance. Type 2 diabetes is also a huge cost to treat. I hope I did not offend anybody and if I did, I am sorry.

bloggless on August 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I am so sick of him.TXMomof3

Under Obamacare, they won’t allow you to be sick of Obama. They’ll force indoctrination on you. (that was only slightly a joke)

We were waiting in the pediatrician’s office for my daughter’s physical for college and Obama came on the TV. My daughter put her arm up and said, “Do I have to listen to him?”

Beaglemom on August 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM

So, in Obama’s new world, what is the medical equivalent of FedEx and UPS?

unclesmrgol on August 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM

[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
CUSTOMER: Here’s one — nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I’m not dead!
MORTICIAN: What?
CUSTOMER: Nothing — here’s your nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I’m not dead!
MORTICIAN: Here — he says he’s not dead!
CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
DEAD PERSON: I’m not!
MORTICIAN: He isn’t.
CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he’s very ill.
DEAD PERSON: I’m getting better!
CUSTOMER: No, you’re not — you’ll be stone dead in a moment.
MORTICIAN: Oh, I can’t take him like that — it’s against regulations.
DEAD PERSON: I don’t want to go in the cart!
CUSTOMER: Oh, don’t be such a baby.
MORTICIAN: I can’t take him…
DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor…
MORTICIAN: I can’t.
CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won’t
be long.
MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson’s — they’ve lost nine
today.
CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?
MORTICIAN: Thursday.
DEAD PERSON: I think I’ll go for a walk.
CUSTOMER: You’re not fooling anyone y’know. Look, isn’t there
something you can do?
DEAD PERSON: I feel happy… I feel happy.
[whop]
CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
CUSTOMER: Right.
[clop clop]

Shivas Irons on August 13, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I want to know what is just so amazing about Obama that the senate wanted to eliminate the presidential term limit before his immaculation and now they want to turn over the american people to his thugocracy. Only in America?

toongoon on August 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Shivas Irons on August 13, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Shivas Irons:Your Monty Python movie bit,reminds me of
the movie,Meaning of life,the Zulu war skit,and
the english officer loses his leg,and then there
off looking for the tiger!!haha:)

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I think doctors ought to show some collective muscle like SEIU members. How about a coordinated work slow-down–no elective surgery, botox, or well-visits perhaps. That ought to get some attn. I hope they don’t simply disappear quietly into the night.

JiangxiDad on August 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Furthermore, he implies that few doctors, if any are currently committed to preventative care, that’s why he’s claiming that his new program will be able to save so much money.

MarkTheGreat on August 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

sherry on August 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Are you sayin’ Barry’s corny?

‘Cause he and his Democrats are trying to cornhole America.

NoDonkey on August 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

The reason Barack Obama thinks like this is because he operates in the same way. He’s out to short cut people out of money and resources, so he thinks the whole world is that way. Trusty prisoners in my local courthouses think the same way.

It’s his default to think that surgeons are ruthless enough to amputate patients’ limbs so they can make a buck.

His assessment says a lot about his ignorance of the health care industry, but it says a lot more about him.

He’s projecting again.

Ampleforth on August 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

MarkTheGreat on August 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Mark, sorry to hear about your wife. I can sympathize. My wife’s diabetic too. There is hope. When my wife was diagnosed she dug in did her homework regulated her diet and lost the weight her doctor recommended. She now has it completely under control, has even discontinued medication. She still tests regularly and goes in for routine checks. Her doctor is amazed at her tenacity. Hang in there and be supportive, it’s not easy to achieve and it’s even harder to maintain but it can be done.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM

My Dad was a type-2 diabetic and lost three toes to it. He had a powdered sugar donut every morning for breakfast and ate the entirely wrong things for lunch (only dinner, when he wasn’t working, was anywhere near healthy, and that was because it was cooked by my Mom). But it was his doctor’s fault according to Giggles. Not the fault of the powdered sugar intake every morning.

Giggles really is a jackass, and dumb as a box of rocks too boot.

Or can I say “to boot” or will some doctor amputate my foot?

crazy_legs on August 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

highhopes, bloggless

I have great respect for the Mayo Clinic. To be clear, I’m against nationalizing our health care! With that said, we do have a problem with medicaid and medicare cost since American taxpayers are footing the bill.

In my case, my GP, after obtaining an ultrasound (or whatever you call it), with the referral, sent me to the cardiologist. He immediately scheduled me for surgery and even mentioned cutting off my legs/feet. Long story, however this cardiologist will never see me again. I told him and his staff, as long as I’m paying, I still get to chose which Drs I use.

There is no doubt in my mind that Drs are “milking” medicaid and medicare and this should be fixed. The socialist dems should fix the problems and not change the entire system. As usual, the socialist dems go to far.

luckybogey on August 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Furthermore, even if an amputation does cost $50K, a lot of people have to get paid out of that money.

The surgeon, a surgical assistant, a surgical nurse or two, the anethesiologist. The post operative nurse.

Then there’s the cost of the surgical room. It has to be sterilized after each use. I’ve read that surgical equipment isn’t sterilized anymore, but discarded, so that a new surgical kit is needed for each operation. Those aren’t cheap.

The guys who run and maintain the hospital have to get paid.

And on, and on, and on …

MarkTheGreat on August 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM

TXMomof3 on August 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

TXMomof3: POTUS,is awfully busy miro-managing everything
in sight!

I understand your frustation!:)

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Only in America?

toongoon on August 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Not the America I thought I knew.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 8:59 AM

off looking for the tiger!!haha:)

canopfor on August 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

A tiger? In Africa?

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:59 AM

A tiger? In Africa?

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I’m sure they have some in zoos.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM