Major Garrett grills Gibbs: Why are people getting unsolicited e-mails from David Axelrod about health care? Update: See White House privacy policy

posted at 4:00 pm on August 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

He claims to have evidence that some entity — either the White House itself or The One’s army of cultists at Organizing for America — has now sunk to the point of spamming people about the glories of socialized medicine. I suspect Ace is right in thinking that this is the origin of the spam and that Garrett has his facts slightly wrong: It’s not Axelrod who’s spamming people, it’s Obama cultists acting at Axelrod’s behest by copy/pasting his post and sending it to friends. If Fox wants this charge to stick, they have to show us exactly what Garrett was forwarded (minus the “to” and “from” lines, natch). Frankly, given The One’s ubiquity on television and in print, the White House might as well go the rest of the way and start pushing e-mails at us too. The more talking points I hear, the more they blend together as noise and the easier it is to tune them out.

Now, if Garrett can somehow put the spam story together with this story, then we’re cooking with gas. Click the image to watch.

Update: A reader just forwarded me an e-mail her brother got Monday night. It is indeed the Axelrod post at the White House site that I linked to; it has a White House heading and a White House “from” e-mail address. It doesn’t appear to have been forwarded to her brother from any third party. He claims he doesn’t remember signing up for any WH e-mails. For what it’s worth.

Update: A second reader just e-mailed to say that he got the Axelrod e-mail too — and it’s not the first one he’s gotten:

I received this email this morning. This is the second email I received from this address. I started receiving these after I sent an email to the [email protected] address……

Is that what’s happening here? Conservatives are spamming the White House snitch line, only to find themselves signed up for White House e-mails? I thought Gibbsy told us they’re not collecting names or other identifying information from that account. Has anyone else who spammed the snitch line gotten any Axelrod e-mails?

Update: A third reader e-mails to say he’s spammed the snitch line half a dozen times and hasn’t gotten anything from Axelrod. Curiouser and curiouser.

Update: Another reader e-mails to say he thinks he has the answer:

After seeing this post on your web site, I can add some information on who’s getting the emails. Some time back, I went to the whitehouse.gov site and sent a congratulatory note by using the “contact us” link. One of the required fields on that form is an email address. I didn’t want to use my regular email address, so I used an old email address that I never use anymore. When I read this post, I became curious and checked that email address. Sure enough, there were seven emails there from whitehouse.gov, starting on July 14 and going up through the current David Axelrod “Something worth forwarding” email today.

I have sent an email to the “flag” address using my regular email address, but have not received any whitehouse.gov emails in return to that address.

So for me, it defintely seems to be dependent on my contact to whitehouse.gov, even though no notice is given that you will be placed on an email list at that site.

Why aren’t they notifying people?

Update: Tipster RLW finds the answer hiding in plain sight on the White House’s privacy page.

Collection and disclosure of information: To ensure we are able to communicate effectively with visitors to our web site, we collect some information that can be directly associated with a specific person. We call this “Personal Information,” and it includes, by way of illustration, names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.

We collect Personal Information from eligible individuals who affirmatively request to receive e-mail or other services from us. We collect this Personal Information in order to provide these eligible individuals with timely information via e-mail regarding events, resources and issues.

It is our general policy not to make Personal Information available to anyone other than our employees, staff, and agents.

Er, which “agents”?

Comments

cmsinaz on August 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Not a stupid question at all. Unfortunately the Clintoons had Reno to provide cover while selling the coffees and BamBam has his stepnfetchit named Eric Holder.

*********

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the FEC contributions and contact information records of the opposition from the past election has been shared with Zero and his hoodlums.

It’s not as though the FEC has been busy preventing FrankenFraud or checking on reports of voter intimidation and vote buying last November.

viking01 on August 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM

When I sent my comment, I did NOT “affirmatively request” to receive any e-mails. I do not even remember them offering a choice. I just started getting e-mails from them, and then chose to unsubscribe.

MississippiMom on August 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM

viking01 on August 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM

roger that

cmsinaz on August 14, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Gibbs had a tough day. Worse, the WH walk-back of the deal with Pharma was blown apart when the actual memo and outlined deal was uncovered.

AnninCA on August 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Er, which “agents”?

ACORN…

jeffn21 on August 14, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I’ve never signed up for any emails from any political camp.
I get emails from the DNC and other democratic groups on a weekly basis. I have even ‘unsubscribed’ a couple of times, and that doesn’t work, apparantly.
It’s maddening.

bridgetown on August 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Got one from axelrod. I have not requested anything from whitehouse.gov, but I get this pro health care crap. I have only emailed my 2 senators from Colorado and my representative, not the white house.

From the email.

P.S. We launched http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/realitycheck this week to knock down the rumors and lies that are floating around the internet. You can find the information below, and much more, there. For example, we’ve just added a video of Nancy-Ann DeParle from our Health Reform Office tackling a viral email head on. Check it out:

and so on and so forth.

Don’t tell me these clowns are not building list of people. They know your position.

Colorado on August 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM

And another thing, this Gibbs is the most God awful press sec anyone would ever hire. I’m a lousy speaker, so I should know. Says a lot about BO and his maturity level.

Colorado on August 14, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I also began receiving emails from the White House after I sent an email to [email protected]…reporting Linda Douglass for fishy/misinformation after viewing her fishy/misinformation video. I thought I was funny.

Parade on August 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Agents may refer to govdeliverydotcom based on info provided by –

Jeff2161 on August 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM

***

Record expires on 26-Jul-2010.
Record created on 18-May-2004.
Database last updated on 13-Aug-2009 18:13:04 EDT.
Domain servers in listed order:
NS.VISI.COM
NS2.VISI.COM 66.254.98.138
Jeff2161 on August 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Does that mean govdelivery was hired by Obamatons in 2004 before The One was elected?

maybe a stupid question, but isn’t it illegal to campaign inside the whitehouse or to use whitehouse stuff for such purposes…i know this is not a campaign in the truest sense, but still, it just seems odd for all of this to come out of the WH directly….it seems ‘fishy’
cmsinaz on August 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Brings back memories of Al Gore’s “No controlling legal authority” kerfuffle.

Buy Danish on August 14, 2009 at 11:59 AM

About time for drawing some analogies between the Nixon administration and Obama’s.

MADgirl91 on August 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Funny. They didn’t bother with any of that when people were donating money to the Precedential campaign …

Can we throw these criminals in jail, now? Pretty please.

progressoverpeace on August 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM

progressoverpeace on August 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Excellent point.

Buy Danish on August 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I know I have been harping about this for a while, but the proximity of so many SDSers to Obama who have direct access to policy formation should be of great concern. If you follow the White & House links you’ll find the maniacs that FBI agent Grathwohl is talking about in this inbed.

Scary indeed!

Archimedes on August 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Buy Danish on August 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

This fishy White House spam emailing could easily be the loose thread that forces people to look back at the criminal campaign financing. The way that the boobs, Gibbels and Burton, are so scared of giving the facts on what actually happened with the spam is a telling sign to many. Just one little tug at this thread and …

progressoverpeace on August 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

OMG! My side hurts from laughing. Oh Gibbsy, you are incorrible. I am convinced that the Obama team brought him along for the laughs.

matt126 on August 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Didn’t pay attention at the time, but I got mine on Monday. Looks like the America Stasi is working in full effect. Uhbama must be very proud.

Omally on August 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Oh, heck I had to report myself to the Whitehouse a couple of times today. I asked whether the Whitehouse was going to correct the misinformation Obama uttered about evil surgeons removing tonsils just to run up the bill and charging $50K to amputate legs. The American College of Surgeons is not very happy with Obama’s statements. The other thing I asked is why is that not one of the bills under consideration even brings up the subject of tort reform. Why not?

I am waiting for the FBI to come knocking at my door.

SC.Charlie on August 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Er, which “agents”?
AP

AP, you are a paranoid racist, seeing brownshirts and stool pigeons around every corner. Provocateur! Reactionary!
Careful, or you may lose your standing in BMU (Beta Males United).

SKYFOX on August 14, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I got the email on 8/10 and I am absolutely positive I didn’t correspond with the white house or any liberal organization. Honestly, I am terrified to think I am on Obama’s enemies list. If I disappear, you will know what happened to me.

RobertCSampson on August 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I received an email from David Axelrod.

I also received a questionnaire from Harry Mitchell (D-AZ) that asks the obligatory are you for or against universal healthcare, what words do you associate with “single payor”, “national healthcare”, would you tax people making above $500k to pay for healthcare? would you tax people making above $1million to pay for healthcare?

My 2 favorites were: If you don’t want any action taken regarding healthcare, how do you get healthcare to the 47 million uninsured people? and “If you don’t support higher taxes on small businesses or people, how would you pay for healthcare for the 47 million uninsured people?”

Yep.
No question about it.
When I said no to taxes on small businesses, I guess I got transferred to the re-education department of David Axelrod.

athenadelphi on August 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Wait.. I did write Dodd and Chis Murphy about healthcare.. that is where they got my email from.. I am sure now.

RobertCSampson on August 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I have one for ya,….

Someone who has e-mail through a free service,
NEVER-EVER visited a government web-site,
in fact, they only visit two sites,…
this person is in his 70’s,…
and yesterday received this,…

From: “David Axelrod, The White House” <[email protected]>
To:
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:39:08 -0500
Subject: Something worth forwarding

christene on August 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I got 2 Axelrod emails and have never ever given my email to anyone who is not a close friend. Honestly it’s kinda creepy, like Axelrod himself.

muffinmonster on August 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I can’t believe the talking heads are nibbling around the edges of this issue.

Pretty obvious that these people had their emails forwarded to the flag@ thing, or their email addies were attached to someone else’s who had theirs forwarded to Gestapo Headquarters.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM

I have a brother-in-law who worked for the Obama campaign. He supplied email addresses to them to send a form letter from the campaign. My husband and I were very unhappy recipients of this letter.

What the White House needs to do is lock down their current email database, archive it, and start from scratch with new incoming verified requests for more info.

Connie on August 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM

White house spam aside, community organizer in-chief and DNC “get” the power of online communication. They’ve demonstrated effective use of online social networks during last elections – this is an area that republicans HAVE to improve on.

TopLawyer on August 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM