posted at 8:21 pm on August 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

The number three Democrat in the House, behind only Pelosi and Hoyer, and a longtime practitioner of toxic race-bating on behalf of his party. Unbelievable.

“I have seen this kind of hate before. I have seen this discussion before,” he said. “I have seen snarling dogs going after people who were trying to peacefully assemble. I have seen the eyes of people who were being spat upon.”

“This is all about activity trying to deny the establishment of a civil right. And I do believe that health care for all is — a civil right,” the House Majority Whip argued. “And I think that is why you see this kind of activity. This is an attempt on the part of some to deny the establishment of a civil right.”

Clyburn, a veteran of the civil rights movement, said he was particularly appalled by the use of the Swastika symbol at some of these town hall events. Noting that one had been painted on the office of Rep. David Scott (D-Ga.), an African-American, Clyburn insisted that was proof enough that some of the protests were racially motivated.

“There is no question in my mind,” he said.

This is a guy who’s so intimidated by the supposed terror tactics he’s witnessing that he’s actually been known to doze off at town halls of his own. Here’s my question: At the end of the HuffPo piece, he’s quoted tsk-tsking at the House GOP for not formally denouncing the swastika aimed at David Scott — as if the Republican Party’s supposed to take collective responsibility for something done by one anonymous nut whose party affiliation we don’t even know. If the GOP’s supposed to do that, how come it’s not similarly incumbent upon our blessed savior, the avatar of Hopenchange, to say a discouraging word or two about the insane amount of demagoguery and demonization pouring out of his own party right now? And I don’t mean the stuff coming from nutroots blogs; I’m talking about the Senate majority leader mumbling about “evil-mongers” and the Speaker of the House wringing her hands about swastikas and other congressmen warning of “brown shirts” and “political terrorists” and now this from Clyburn. The rhetoric from the Democratic leadership has turned completely poisonous, yet The One won’t open his mouth to calm it down. How come, champ? Are we playing good cop/bad cop again with these cretins? Exit question: How come this didn’t earn any Bull Connor analogies back in the days when protest was still patriotic?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

“There is no question in my mind,” he said.

Ya’… and no answers either. There’s not a whole lot of anything going on up there. Clyburn’s not the sharpest cheddar on the cracker.

ronnyraygun on August 14, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I have no response to Clyburn, since the possible responses that are in my head would get me banned.

Vashta.Nerada on August 14, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Clyburn is just being a good little Step-N-Fetchit for the DNC by keeping the focus on the protesters and away from the crap sandwich that is the actual bill. This is right out of the DNC playbook and we must find a way to redirect the focus back to the real issue. That’s why Sarah Palin was so brilliant with her “death panels” comment and her recent follow-up. She’s forcing the focus back to the actual meaning of the bill.
The so-called conservative talking heads in the cable media are playing into the Dem’s hand by harping on the “mean spirited” protesters. They know they are being used, but don’t mind being Obama’s bitch.

SKYFOX on August 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM

“There is no question in my mind,” he said.

Clyburn, using your mind was your first mistake.
Second, you’re the hater and race baiter, and NOT the good, American citizens, that are exercising their Constitutional Rights.

BTW Clyburn, when was the last time you’ve read OUR Constitution, if ever???

byteshredder on August 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Clyburn didn’t see ALL thd swastikas and references to Bush as hitler? To funny!

Liberals ALWAYS, ALWAYS over-reach. Clyburn used to tick me off; now, I just giggle!

TN Mom on August 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Just keep digging yourselves in deeper guys… just keep referring to us with all these labels… cause your next label is going to be “Ex-congressman/congresswoman/senator”.

DaSaintFan on August 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

When Losing the battle play the Card. Everyone was so proud of America when we voted Obama in now since we opose his program we’re racist. Let me ask you this question do you think you are winning white voters by accusing them of racism just becaus there white. Is that not racist in itself.

mcl2177 on August 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Keep talking. Dig that hole deeper.

marklmail on August 14, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Clyburn is a joke and an embarassment to South Carolina.The district he represents is the poorest in the state.He hasn’t done anything for them.But he is a strong representative for the liberal democrats.

badpenny on August 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Clyburn makes a good point! But times have changed. Are we not the Townhaller doing the marching and calling to keep our “CIVIL RIGHTS” and Clyburn has become the “THUG”.

John R on August 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM

But Nancy said she is a “fan of disruptors—> watch

Dollayo on August 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Nancy= Flip Flop

John R on August 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM

No you moron, their not. They’re more like the founding fathers of this great nation. You and Obama, on the other hand, are more like Stalin or Marx. I’m looking forward to seeing you voted out of office in your next election.

TrickyDick on August 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Clyburn, please call 1-800-EAT-CRAP to activate your new race card. Please cut your old worn out one with scissors and discard where no one can access it..Thank you and have a wonderful day…………..

adamsmith on August 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM

It’s come to this: Clyburn compares town hall protesters to thugs who attacked civil rights marchers…

Those opposing civil rights that Clyburn talks about here were largely Democrats.

RJL on August 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM

He’s such an idiot.

It was the Bull Connors, Lestor Maddox, the overall Demokrat party that attacked Civil Rights protestors, in the 60′s. It is YOUR party Clyburn, that is steeped in racism. Now STFU and get out of the way. Lying b@st@rd……there’s no question in my mind about THAT!!!

ToddonCapeCod on August 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Yea; In the name of Civil Rights this dummy wants to deny we dissenters OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES!

Cybergeezer on August 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM