Harry Reid: Town-hall protesters are “evil-mongers”

posted at 2:41 pm on August 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s his own coinage, as nasty and awkward as the man himself. And like a two-year-old who’s just crapped on the carpet, he’s curiously proud of it.

Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, was having second thoughts – or was he? – about the way he had characterized people who are disrupting town halls with “lies, innuendo and rumor,” and not letting others speak. They are, he said, “evil-mongers.”

A day after tossing out the term “evil-mongers” in the closing speech of his annual clean energy conference, Reid was alternating between pride in his coinage and knowing that he probably should be trying to defuse, not escalate, the turmoil erupting at town meetings across the country on health care reform.

“It was an original with me. I maybe could have been less descriptive,” Reid said. He also said, “I doubt that you’ll hear it from me again.” But a few minutes later, he couldn’t resist a sardonic little joke. “I feel I haven’t done anything to embarrass them,” Reid said of his children. “Except maybe call somebody an evil-monger.”

Mind you, this is a guy who’s up for reelection next year and whose unfavorable rating already stands at 50 percent. I’d love to see the internal polling that’s convinced him and Baron Hill that egregiously demonizing protesters — whom more Americans are sympathetic to than not — is a sure path to victory. Consider this further proof, though, that William McGurn was right in dubbing ObamaCare the left’s new religion, with protester-heretics now officially deemed “evil” for shouting about it. Exit question: Isn’t this actually the left’s line on the right in all policy disagreements? Pick any issue you like, foreign or domestic, and liberal conventional wisdom has some nefarious explanation available for the conservative position. Warmongering, racism, exploiting the poor, “controlling women’s bodies” — you name it, they’ve got an “evil” ulterior motive to account for it. I wonder why it took Reid this long to drop the E-bomb. He must really want to win this debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I do believe it’s time to call my senior senator’s office.

Bruce NV on August 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM

WOO HOO I am EVVVVILLLL!

**pinky to corner of Mouth**

upinak on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Obama: I’ll hold the American economy for ransom for…. 1 TRILLION DOLLARS!

ConservativeJawa on August 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM

So if everyone who disagrees with Obama is an “evil-monger” is the U.S. now the “evil empire”?

albill on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

So says the left.

Johan Klaus on August 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM

STFU and get your worthless butt back to Searchlight, you jerk. The new crop of tumbleweeds is ready for harvest…

mojo on August 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Just as Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels and their propaganda machine tried to demonize and dehumanize Jews, Herr Barack Obama, Herr Harry Reid, Frau Nancy Pelosi,the DNC Gestapo, their Brownshirt SEIC and ACORN and various assorted enablers and abettors in the media are trying to demonize and dehumanize those who are protesting their attempted mass takeovers and fascist control freak power grabs. The parallel is absolutely unmistakable. I think they are just desperately looking for a Kristallnacht.

Luka on August 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader Necromonger, was having second thoughts – or was he? – about the way he had characterized people who are disrupting town halls with “lies, innuendo and rumor,” and not letting others speak. They are, he said, “evil-mongers.”

FIFY.

batterup on August 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I just had to watch this again. Dennis Miller ripped Reid a new one two years ago and it still makes me feel good.

atheling on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

You should see if you can find a clip of him from last night on Bill O. He went off on San Fran Nan and it was awesome too.

Joe Caps on August 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

albill on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

That’s what The Precedent has been saying on his Traitor Tour ever since he slimed his way into office. Eventually, he will be found ineligible (which he clearly is, having been a mutliple citizen) and that will be our only way out of this disaster of historic proportions.

progressoverpeace on August 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

“I feel I haven’t done anything to embarrass them,” Reid said of his children.

Hard to say about his children.

Everything he has done is an embarrassment to his constituents.

Ragspierre on August 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

WTF??? No one out there is Anti-Health, they are however anti-big govt, big spending, corruption, and everything else this administration is doing.

No wonder her ratings suck. This woman(?)has gone off the reservation.

milwife88 on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

No surprise – that is her reservation. It’s verbal spin – like “pro-choice”. Own the language.

Now watch her try to make it stick. Somewhere. Anywhere. It won’t happen, since her ratings draw only flies…Ah, she’s the Poopy Head!

Dean_L_Can on August 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Reid talks like a man who expects his re-election to be rigged for him.

Kralizec on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Say goodnight Harry. Your days are numbered in the Senate.

roninacreage on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Man, it’s like they have a script and they have to stick to it. If something unexpected arises, you know, like protests everywhere, they don’t know what to do except stick to the script.

“Quick! Nazi, un-American, terrorist, well dressed flak and racist didn’t work … what’s next?”

“Evil-monger”

“OK great! Americans are evil mongers”!

darwin on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I agree. SEIU members are evil mongers.

fogw on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

she was refering to all the protesters as “Anti-Health”.

Haha, that’s rich. It always comes down to some dumb bumper sticker slogan with them.

Keep it simple, stupid. Words libs live by.

reaganaut on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

It would have been funny if Reid had said “evil-doers.”

Lance Murdock on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

OT town hall on Fox:

A lady from NJ was asking about illegal aliens getting healthcare. Someone shouted “racist”. She turns and says “HOW DARE YOU. HOW DARE YOU”

About time, folks.

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Say goodnight Harry. Your days are numbered in the Senate.

roninacreage on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

we can only hope

the night he gets booted
i am popping open a nice glass of champagne!!!!

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Well we can be assured that a good portion of the remaining stimulus money will be going towards some nonsense in his congressional district. I think it’s going to be a mockery of our country when Obama waits to disburse the remaining 90% of the stimulus cash to the districts where democrats are being crushed….I’m surprised he hasn’t injected NJ with some of the $$$$$$$ yet.

Fishy.Gov on August 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Go evil-monger!
Go racist!
Go swastika carrier!
Go mobster!
Go political terrorist!

Connect to form…

CONCERNED AMERICAN WITH QUESTIONS!

LibTired on August 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

C’mon now…on the moron scale, Pelosi has to be right up there.

AUINSC on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Nu uh.

Box of Rocks > Bag o’Hammers

VelvetElvis on August 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Fishy.Gov on August 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Ohhhh… love the handle.

LibTired on August 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I think they are just desperately looking for a Kristallnacht.

Luka on August 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Duh! Why do you think George Soros is back? He is an expert at it. His uncle taught him well.

Joe Caps on August 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Dingy Harry, the dim bulb from Searchlight.

JammieWearingFool on August 13, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Harry can’t help himself. Since Reagan, people like him have tried to stereotype Republicans/conservatives as heartless, greedy haters who only care about big evil corporations. (Maybe even before that, but I can’t remember much before the 1980′s). He has probably just told the lie so many times he now believes it as absolute truth.
Isn’t the open-mindedness of it all astounding?

MississippiMom on August 13, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Is the whole Democratic power structure off their rockers? What a stupid thing to say.

TXMomof3 on August 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM

‘The state is the religion of those who no longer believe in religion’ – Fr. John Neuhaus

———————————–
Which item doesn’t belong?

a – Henry Clay
b – John Calhoun
c – Daniel Webster
d – Harry Reid

SteveMG on August 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

That’s DOCTOR Evil to you, gasbag.

Cicero43 on August 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Has the GOP even fielded a credible candidate to oppose Dingy Harry in 2010?

aquaviva on August 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Unfortunately, NO ONE is running against him, and the casino moguls are backing him. On a positive note, the head of the NV GOP outpolled him recently by about 5 points.

Bruce NV on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

the night he gets booted
i am popping open a nice glass of champagne!!!!

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’m going to have a glass of Courvoisier for every liberal wingnut who loses in 2010.

I have my doubts, but I’m hoping I get stinking drunk.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

In Reid’s mind:

Iran with a nuke and hating Israel= misunderstood country that just needs warmth and understanding

A concerned American who is exercising his 1st Amendment right= an evil monger

It would almost be worth moving to Nevada to vote against him.

Beaglemom on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

What is “evil-mongering”? Is he saying that American citizens are trying to gin up evil? I’m confused.

hippieforlife on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Harry Reid is just another crooked, lying, thieving, lawyer politician!

MCGIRV on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

You’re funny Uncle Harry. Now go pee in a corner somewhere.

NathanG on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

test

Steve Z on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

dude

if we make a solid gain in 2010

im gonna go to TOWN

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

right back at cha Harry

putz

cmsinaz on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

And that is the heart of HuffPo, there is no right left divide, only moral and amoral. By an amazing coincidence all of the lefts policies happened to be moral after they decided this was the new template.

rob verdi on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I just got an email saying HotAir had been shut down and to visit “Camps.Gov/directions” instead. Are you guys getting the same thing?

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Has the GOP even fielded a credible candidate to oppose Dingy Harry in 2010?

aquaviva on August 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Might I suggest a clump of dirt?

clump of dirt > box of rocks > bag o’ hammers.

Dean_L_Can on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

The democrats can call the american people all the names the want but what they fail to realize is that americans are tired of being lied to. we are tired of the govt passing laws we dont agree with. we are tired of being called racist just because we protest a messed up system. And every time they insult us they are damaging themselves all the name calling just makes the democrats look like kids who cant get their way so they pout and call names. america deserves better

larry harris on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Blunder or evidence that he’s going to ram this through no matter what?

Why compromise with ‘evil mongers’?

They’re going to try and ram this through – yes they are.

SteveMG on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Coming soon, those who DENY health care protesters are racists paid by lobbyists.

rob verdi on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I have my doubts, but I’m hoping I get stinking drunk.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

i’m with ya there

cmsinaz on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

The Left’s new Axis of Evil: Insurance companies, doctors, and little old ladies on Medicare.

But since these things come in threes, may I suggest
Obama, Pelosi, and Reid:
Fancy, Nancy, and Antsy.

Steve Z on August 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM

If they don’t find another person to beat Harry Reid in Nevada, my head’s going to explode. I just read a couple of days ago that Dean Heller would not challenge him. If they could get a good candidate, conservative or centrist, that would really go for the jugular of the Dem majority. Something tells me they don’t have enough sense to beat him though.

NathanG on August 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Joe Caps on August 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Saw that. Dennis Miller is great.

Anyone know the name of Pelosi’s vineyard, so we can boycott the wines that are made from her grapes?

UltimateBob on August 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

someone put this poor sap out of his our misery….

search4truth on August 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Time to remember this guy got his start in “public service” by rubberstamping casino license applications from Mafiosi.

Chris_Balsz on August 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

By the looks of him, Harry Reid is shovel-ready.

Cicero43 on August 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I just can’t help to sit back and giggle while watching the Democrats repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot over Obamacare.

Its kinda like watching a kid who can’t seem to understand that the stove is hot. You kinda want to tell them to stop touching it but yet you can’t just because its frigging hilarious

Doctor Zhivago on August 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I have my doubts, but I’m hoping I get stinking drunk.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

You better have a few bottles on hand for election night. I think it’s going to be a bloodbath for the democrats.

UltimateBob on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Is there some kind of Democrat contest going on? Let’s see how many adjectives we can come up with to describe Obamacare protesters.

vcferlita on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I prefer to be called an evil-purveyor.

Mr. D on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

If standing up to what is an unconstitutional action by our government makes me an evil-monger, then it is a badge that I will not only wear, but I will wear with pride.

TKSnider on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Where does impersonating a doctor for a government-takeover of heathcare favoring softball question rank on your moral compass, Sen. Reid?

mwbri on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Reid talks like a man who expects his re-election to be rigged for him.

Kralizec on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I agree. A lot of them seem to be talking that way.

mbs on August 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

OT:

The murderer reporter Rick Sanchez on CNN is interviewing the woman with the poster at the McClaskil (sp?) town hall. She says man that “snatched” her poster is a racist and hates her because of the color of her skin.

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Want to know what evil is under guisw of our founders? It’s called turning the other cheek when you can confront it, Harry.”For evil to succeed one only needs toc do nothing and allow it to dwell unfestered.”

larvcom on August 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Reid left no doubt he intends to get a health reform bill passed in the Senate, no matter what erupts at town hall meetings and whether any Republicans support the end result. “We can’t let the insurance industry win another round. We’re going to win this round,” he said.

If the bill doesn’t have a public insurance plan to compete with private ones, do the insurance companies win? I asked. “The public option is something that the vast majority of Americans want. They know that the enemy is the insurance industry,” Reid said. But he added that the public option “is not the only thing that’s important.” It’s also important, he said, to make sure insurance companies can’t deny policies to people who have pre-existing conditions or drop people if they develop a problem.

The House, with a large Democratic majority, is expected to pass a bill with a public option in it. If the Senate version doesn’t have one, I asked, does the public option have a shot when Senate and House negotiators meet to smooth out their differences in a conference committee?

“I’m not going to — I have to get a bill off the floor,” Reid said with a low chuckle. “So I’m not going to be threatening or suggesting anything that might come in conference. Get the picture?” I did.

HT: Powerline.

This guy is a scumbag, but do not underestimate him or Granny Botox.

Wethal on August 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Out of touch and out of time.

So long, Harry, we barely knew yea.

Is it 2010 yet?

Gonna be like Christmas morning.

David2.0 on August 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Evil-mongers, check out your new FCC Diversity Czar in the Green Room. Great post.

Disturb the Universe on August 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Has the GOP even fielded a credible candidate to oppose Dingy Harry in 2010?

aquaviva on August 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

The guy that was running dropped out the other day. He said it was to spend more time with his family. Fair enough. I suspect, however, it has more to do with a poll that showed Reid losing to Nevada’s Republican chairwoman, Sue Loweden. She hasn’t officially announced, but I suspect she will. Soon.

SouthernGent on August 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

vcferlita on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Can you feel the love?

What’s worse than evil-mongers? Next they’ll be saying the protesters are an army of the undead, unleashed to destroy decency and all that is good and holy.

After that, there’s no place else they can really go with the adjectives.

Of course I could be wrong.

Dean_L_Can on August 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Either Harry has complete faith in his party’s ability to re-elect him, or he actually believes the stuff coming out of his own mouth.

I’m not sure which is scarier…

caldfyr on August 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Hey, the craziness is working. Good for all you nutjobs!

txag92 on August 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

*shaking head*

a friend of Gates?

cmsinaz on August 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

the night he gets booted
i am popping open a nice glass of champagne!!!!

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’ll have been sober for 4 years by then but the celebration will be hard to pass up.

thomasaur on August 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

OT:

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Great! Let them keep talking. The giant is awake and is getting ready to rumble.

SouthernGent on August 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

UltimateBob on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I hope it’s a bloodbath for all liberal/progressives, no matter what party they claim to represent.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Ha! Ziegler just gave a nice analysis of the polls and the gop’s chances of 2012. Not so good.

Blake on August 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Mine said townhallmeeting.gov/directions.

LibTired on August 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Reid is a flaming ass and a danger to the Republic. Let’s hope that the good people of Nevada dump him as quickly as possible.

rplat on August 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM

By the looks of him, Harry Reid is shovel-ready.

Cicero43 on August 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Oh, he’s been dead for years….nobody’s told him to get in the box yet.

Jerome Horwitz on August 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I have my doubts, but I’m hoping I get stinking drunk.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

UltimateBob on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I know I will have plenty on hand…

ladyingray on August 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

If we’re evilmongers, aren’t we supposed to get minions? I’d love to have a few reliable minions.

Cicero43 on August 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Lame DUCK REID you have nothing to fear but the REAL AMERICAN PEOPLE

easyone on August 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Them’s fightin’ words! Prepping for the healthcare insurance reform cramdown in September.

ROCnPhilly on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I just don’t pay any attention to what comes out of Reid’s mouth. I’m not a Democrat, so maybe I am missing what is so wonderful about this guy. Is this the best the majority has for a leader in the Senate?

WyoMike on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Obama:

Shutup!

Reid:

You are evil.

Pelosi/Hoyer:

You are un-American

As Michelle Obama put it:

He’ll achieve these goals the same way he always has — by bringing us together and reminding us how much we share and how alike we really are. You see, Barack doesn’t care where you’re from, or what your background is, or what party — if any — you belong to. That’s not how he sees the world. He knows that thread that connects us — our belief in America’s promise, our commitment to our children’s future. He knows that that thread is strong enough to hold us together as one nation even when we disagree.

Joe Caps on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

They just can’t keep their pie holes shut.

It like the gratuitous scene in all shoot-’em-up movies, where the wounded evil doer is speaking his last words, which have be someting evil or vulgar.

Then, BAM!

Well, Dirty Harry, get ready for your political BAM.

madmonkphotog on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

It’s always about blood with you evilmongers.

Cicero43 on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Obama: I’ll hold the American economy for ransom for…. 1 TRILLION DOLLARS!

ConservativeJawa on August 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Why would we want trillions when we could have…

BILLIONS!

smithinmich on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

What is “evil-mongering”?

hippieforlife on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Voting for dems.

progressoverpeace on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I noticed that in the left wing mindless nut jobs have resorted to screaming racist at everyone that disagrees with them. This will not work and only tends to amplify their extraordinary idiocy.

rplat on August 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I agree with Harry Reid /librtal343

NoFanofLibs on August 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Let’s hope that the good people of Nevada dump him as quickly as possible.

rplat on August 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM

The problem has always been that two counties in Nevada re-elect this dumb arse every time…Clark and Washoe. Everybody else in the entire remainder of the state votes against him, but the illegals and minorities on the dole in Las Vegas and Reno love him.

Wyznowski on August 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM

ladyingray on August 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

What is that drink?

TXMomof3 on August 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Cicero43 on August 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

It’s like a 40 page form here. I’ve found minions to be unreliable, though. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

lorien1973 on August 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader and characture of the uncle that nobody wants to see (the funeral director), should keep the “evil” to himself.

J_Crater on August 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee to be interviewed in 25 min by Rick Sanchez re the phone call

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM

The war in Iraq is lost.

Bush is a loser.

Senate Hush-Rush letter turned to $4 million charity donation.

Evil mongers BTW—WTF????????

Reid is a gift that keeps on giving.

jukin on August 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Dude, best line of the *year*.

RD on August 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I don’t know how one can top being an evil-monger. If Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the pinkos want to top that, they’d have to say that the town-hall protestors are spawned from the anti-christ.

Shock the Monkey on August 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I’m sorry. When I read his statment I can’t help but think of the Spongebob character Mermaid Man saying “Eeeeeviil!”

Poor Harry.

simon on August 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Pardon my internet speak for a moment.

That was full of win!

jhffmn on August 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I have my doubts, but I’m hoping I get stinking drunk.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM

UltimateBob on August 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I’m going to do something for the poor.

Not because I care.

I’ll just be in a really, really good mood.

David2.0 on August 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM

TXMomof3 on August 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Been off their rockers for decades now. Carter, Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Obama. Today’s crowd, though, is a lot more comfortable sashaying around out of the closet for all to see. I like to think of it as a blessing no longer in disguise.

TXUS on August 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM