Harry Reid: Town-hall protesters are “evil-mongers”

posted at 2:41 pm on August 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s his own coinage, as nasty and awkward as the man himself. And like a two-year-old who’s just crapped on the carpet, he’s curiously proud of it.

Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, was having second thoughts – or was he? – about the way he had characterized people who are disrupting town halls with “lies, innuendo and rumor,” and not letting others speak. They are, he said, “evil-mongers.”

A day after tossing out the term “evil-mongers” in the closing speech of his annual clean energy conference, Reid was alternating between pride in his coinage and knowing that he probably should be trying to defuse, not escalate, the turmoil erupting at town meetings across the country on health care reform.

“It was an original with me. I maybe could have been less descriptive,” Reid said. He also said, “I doubt that you’ll hear it from me again.” But a few minutes later, he couldn’t resist a sardonic little joke. “I feel I haven’t done anything to embarrass them,” Reid said of his children. “Except maybe call somebody an evil-monger.”

Mind you, this is a guy who’s up for reelection next year and whose unfavorable rating already stands at 50 percent. I’d love to see the internal polling that’s convinced him and Baron Hill that egregiously demonizing protesters — whom more Americans are sympathetic to than not — is a sure path to victory. Consider this further proof, though, that William McGurn was right in dubbing ObamaCare the left’s new religion, with protester-heretics now officially deemed “evil” for shouting about it. Exit question: Isn’t this actually the left’s line on the right in all policy disagreements? Pick any issue you like, foreign or domestic, and liberal conventional wisdom has some nefarious explanation available for the conservative position. Warmongering, racism, exploiting the poor, “controlling women’s bodies” — you name it, they’ve got an “evil” ulterior motive to account for it. I wonder why it took Reid this long to drop the E-bomb. He must really want to win this debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Sums Harry and his life’s work. LOL.

Hunt035 on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Speaking as the evil-monger-in-chief, of course!

Rational Thought on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Deep going down that path, Dingy Harry. You’re just going to make people like the protesters more.

Enoxo on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Damn he couldn’t dig a hole faster and deeper with a STEAM SHOVEL!

THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!!

LOL – Calling voters evil now.

No one could write fiction as good as this! NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE IT!!

ahahahahahhahahahahaha

HondaV65 on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Let him keep shooting his mouth off.

Remember, this is the guy who declared that we had lost the war while our soldiers were fighting and winning.

PBoilermaker on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

But Iran and North Korea are cool, right?

Sign of the Dollar on August 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

What’s evil are desert rat land swindlers and crooks.

Hummer53 on August 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I resemble that remark.

Mongerel on August 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

The war Harry Reid is lost.

Hiya Ciska on August 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Congrats, Harry. You’re about to become the first Senate Majority Leader in history to lose to an empty chair.

Of course, the chair is less likely to embarrass the entire state of Nevada, hence its appeal…

teke184 on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

HEY

YOU

THE KEEBLER TREE CALLED

THEY NEED EXTRA COOKIE MAKERS TO GET READY FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON!

GET GOING!

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Perhaps we should coin our own phrase, one to describe the Dingy one himself?

Poopy-sniffer?

Darksean on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Reid is one of the chief fascist-mongerers.

rbj on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

….and let me be clear……ehhhh…uhhhh

This guy is soooo dope ….as in “dopey”.

CEA_Agent on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I like this guy. Never ask a stupid liberal to shutup.

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Are we Dick Cheney evil or Olson Twins evil?

lorien1973 on August 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Why do you always link a picture of Dobby on the front page every time you have an article on Reid?

Asher on August 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Harry Reid is the most humorless public official evah, as dry and fruitless as the Nevada desert. What a fussy old church lady like him is doing in the Senate leadership, I’ll never understand.

I miss Paul Laxalt. /sigh

Terrie on August 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

He’s drinking his own bath water – after he’s peed in it.

Hiya Ciska on August 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

The best analogy evah. It was only a matter of time before protesters were labeled evil. I mean, the misinformed-hillbilly-inbreeders-racists bases had already been covered.

changer1701 on August 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Yes yes yes… Americans in disagreement are evil.

But the Axis of Evil? No no, they are not evil.

Riposte on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

He should know the word well – evil, because that is exactly what he reminds me of – evil, mean, hateful, bigoted little man that he is. I would like to slap him real good up side the head…..I could only dream……

txstar on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I encourage Harry Reid to get all over the television telling the people exactly what he thinks of them.

myrenovations on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Remember when the left hyperventilated when George W. Bush labeled Iraq, Iran and North Korea as the “axis of evil”.

Remember when they said Reagan was needlessly provocative and disrespectful to label the Soviet Union as the “evil empire”.

I guess the left has decided that the only people who can legitimately be called “evil” are American citizens who disagree with them on policy.

It would be nice if they could muster up the courage to use such harsh rhetoric against terrorists and rogue regimes.

JohnInCA on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Dingy Harry will lose reelection in 2010 and this whole Obama mess will seem a BIT more tolerable.

Let’s hope Babs Boxer gets ousted as well. She is the dumbest sitting Senator, and that’s saying a lot with Stuart Smalley in the mix.

omnipotent on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Perfectly put.

But Reid still doesn’t hold a candle to The Precedent in this respect.

progressoverpeace on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Sums Harry and his life’s work. LOL.

Hunt035 on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Never understood that…one can housebreak a cat or dog in two weeks but it takes a year for a kid???

JIMV on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Is there anyone planning to run against this old fool? Seems the only thing Harry can do is kiss Nancy’s ass.

Esmerelda on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

And pray tell, Harry, how is exercising our rights a form of peddling evil???

ConservativeJawa on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

He is history after next year. I hope it’s a huge landslide.

RustBelt on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Where do I pick up my certificate? Or, I’ll just take the t-shirt if that’s all you have.

John D on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

JohnInCA on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The War on Terror is over, you facist neo-con. Didn’t your Messiah Rushbo tell you that?

/Tinfoil Brigade of Lefty Losers

omnipotent on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I am predicting a political earthquake in 2010.

drjohn on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

How is he even at 50%???For cryin’ out loud!!!

ohiobabe on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

omnipotent on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

C’mon now…on the moron scale, Pelosi has to be right up there.

AUINSC on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

So if everyone who disagrees with Obama is an “evil-monger” is the U.S. now the “evil empire”?

albill on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I have gone from being a mobster to an evil-monger. When does the peter principle kick-in?

ICBM on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I sure hope he is out of a job next year, awful wretched man.

IC on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

How is he even at 50%???For cryin’ out loud!!!

That’s the half that doesn’t work.

And the illegals.

drjohn on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

As an aspiring Evil-monger, I’d like to point out that Evil-mongers are people too. And Evil-mongers have rights, including First Amendment rights to monger evil, and to do so without fear of reproach.

Never mind getting re-elected, how did this guy get to his current age without accidentally Darwin-ing himself out of existence?

Dean_L_Can on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

it takes a year for a kid???

JIMV on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Because Social Services won’t let you shove the kid’s face in their own mess.

teke184 on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

myrenovations on August 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Yes, please buy some air time. Prime time would be great.

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I just had to watch this again. Dennis Miller ripped Reid a new one two years ago and it still makes me feel good.

atheling on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

we’re all evil mother f’ers, guys!

i for one, like it

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

This is the worst part of big government – people like Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi actually have power over my life. I never voted for them, I would NEVER vote for them, I despise everything they stand for, and, still, they have the power to destroy me and my family.

God help us.

Carol in MD on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Some slap an Adolph stash on that sour puss.

Hening on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

can we all sport motorcycles and leather jackets/

HA kReW

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

This is why I come to Hot Air.

amerpundit on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

C’mon now…on the moron scale, Pelosi has to be right up there.

AUINSC on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Oh, Pelosi IS the dumbest on Capitol Hill, but not a Senator.

(shudders at the thought of San Fran Nan with even MORE power)

omnipotent on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

So, is this how they’re going to justify “capturing” our email addresses – they need to keep an eye on us evil-mongers…………

sherryande on August 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

This is getting silly. Next thing you know, they’ll call us “sado-conservatives.”

WannabeAnglican on August 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Famous Last words of a senator who won’t win his next election. If he keeps this up he’ll be the next mcarthy.

Sierraniner on August 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Is this why the Senate Finance Committee has dropped the death panels provision, Harry? Because of evil-mongers? Hmmmmm?

SouthernGent on August 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

So evil-monger, sort of like a fish-monger, but more Darth Vaderish?

The Republicans better get someone to run against him soon.

Iblis on August 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Oh, c’mon AP, surely you know by now that conservatives think liberals are stupid and liberals think conservatives are evil. That is why conservatives try to persuade and liberals seek only to demonize.

You sound like you are surprised by all of this.

BigD on August 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Buh-bye Harry…if they is any justice in the world, you’ll spend the rest of your life after politics in a trailer in the desert.

AUINSC on August 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Well if when he gets re-elected I guess we’ll know just how many Californians moved to Nevada.

reaganaut on August 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Harry Reid is a land swindler.

tarpon on August 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

This is the worst part of big government – people like

God help us.

Carol in MD on August 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

God help us indeed.

Who would have thought the the Speaker of the US House calls First Amendment dissent un-American and the Senate Majority leader chimes in by calling the same action evil-mongering (whatever the hell that is).

I remember when politicians used to hide their contempt of the masses.

highhopes on August 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

AUINSC on August 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM

…screaming at non-existent kids to keep off his lawn.

Vashta.Nerada on August 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Warmongering, racism, exploiting the poor, “controlling women’s bodies”

You forgot about our “fish-mongering. Just ask Linda Douglass.

Horatius on August 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

You sure he wasn’t just saying that they were evil-smelling?

(No, I didn’t forget that ultra-elite horrendous insult of average Americans, either)

DrAllecon on August 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

so the pots calling the kettle black.. dirty.. evil /so much racism now

gatorboy on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Sacrilege!

Johan Klaus on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I like this guy. Never ask a stupid liberal to shutup.

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Amen! Keep digging Senator dumbass.

Monica on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Clearly Harry Reid is a demented psychopath.

Luka on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Hey Harry, I am on my way to an “evil-monger” protest:

Video in a few days of all the nazi’s, mobsters,
un-Americans and evil-mongers-

ARE YOU FED UP? MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD JOIN US!

Thursday, August 13, 2009, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
Collin County Republican Party Headquarters
8416 Stacy Rd., McKinney, TX 75070
“Our New American Revolution”

Make your voice heard! If you don’t take a stand, who will?
Protest against intrusive government!
Stand up for your freedoms and liberties!
Sign a petition against an out-of-control federal government?

izoneguy on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

WOO HOO I am EVVVVILLLL!

**pinky to corner of Mouth**

upinak on August 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Come on, Harry, you’re supposed to be a master politician. How does calling your constituents “evil-mongers” compute into your reelection calculus for next year? Insulting those you want something from doesn’t go very far toward getting what you want from them – even a two-year-old knows that much.

Or did you think we’d forget?!?

Blacksmith on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

What a despicable man, ugly little man. Ugh!

AsianGirlInTights on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Well, at least he didn’t go nuclear and call them poopy-heads.

thirteen28 on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

How is he even at 50%???For cryin’ out loud!!!

……

That’s his “negative” number.

His approval and re-elect numbers are much lower.

artist on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Ed, Allah. Can I please sign back up as Fishy Evilmonger? Please?

LibTired on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

The War Obamacare is lost……”

………… Fixed it for ya’, Dingy.

Seven Percent Solution on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Well, if this says anything, my uber liberal hippie relatives already hated Pelosi/Reid before Obama was even elected. Though they were excited about the super majority, they still had qualms about these two in particular.

Mommypundit on August 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Someone should snip off his genitals with a bolt cutter.

Percy_Peabody on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Reid is quasi-evil.

Cuffy Meigs on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Last night I was flipping through the channels and stumbled across MSNBC’c Rachel Madcow and she was refering to all the protesters as “Anti-Health”.

WTF??? No one out there is Anti-Health, they are however anti-big govt, big spending, corruption, and everything else this administration is doing.

No wonder her ratings suck. This woman(?)has gone off the reservation.

milwife88 on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Just dont call me a “poopyhead”

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Alright I figured it out. My comprehensive review of the Health Care bill, adapted from another source, is at:

Harry Reid needs to read the scary bill, with the death panels that consist of special interest groups and the government access to all financial information. Then talk about fear mongering.

andy85719 on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

“and I’ve had passed health care reform if it weren’t for you meddling kids!”

We have a Cartoon Congress.

Pelosi is Natasha but who is Boris?

NoDonkey on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Reid has a fortune to spend on his campaign, he knows he will win…just like Arlen knew he would win…

right2bright on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I can’t wait for his and Pelosi’s reigns of tyranny to end.

jediwebdude on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

That is one grouchy looking elf. He’s eating any cookies he makes, no sharing.

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM

His words need some calibration.

Daggett on August 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Yeah, the right neeeeeeever does that!

(apparently AP doesnt read the comment threads here very much)

orange on August 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM

BWAA ahahahhaa ha ha ha. I am conservative, and I like eeeeeeevil.

bitsy on August 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM

If Reid is quasi-evil, then Pelosi is evil incarnate. The other day Miller said that being near her could compromise one’s karma.

andy85719 on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Fu*k off Harry. I’ve had it up to here – with your BS.

portlandon on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I am racist AND evil, excellent. muwahahahahaaaaaa !!!11!

Daemonocracy on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

That is one grouchy looking elf. He’s eating any cookies he makes, no sharing.

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Well

he’s the one that slips chunks of rust and pieces of razor blades into the cookies.

blatantblue on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

That’s Mr. Evil. I didn’t go to Evil Big Business school for 5 years to be called evil-monger, thank you very much.

PappaMac on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Who we got running against him on the GOP ticket? A strong candidate could clean his clock.

Not sure we have one, though, which is a shame….

cs89 on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

He’s trying to double down on a bad bet

CMonster on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Someone needs to take Hillary Clinton’s statement “I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you’re not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration.” loop it, and stand outside his office, home or whatever and play it as loud as possible!

fbcmusicman on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Can someone tell me how evil and Brooks Brothers go together?

txag92 on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Yes, please buy some air time. Prime time would be great.

faraway on August 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I think it would be great if Obama, Reid and Pelosi did a prime time townhall together. Have on every network, even Fox. I think a three hour block of time would be worth it for every American.

myrenovations on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Odd, the ones who keep demanding that town hall goers act in a civil manner are so darn uncivil themselves. Very odd indeed, and not very flattering. It’s like they have forgotten that their constitutents are their employers. Hopefully, they’ll remember soon that they answer to us, not the other way around.

And for the record, I am still curiously proud of myself on those rare occasions when I crap on the carpet. Is there something wrong with that?

Bru on August 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM