Harry Reid: Town-hall protesters are “evil-mongers”

posted at 2:41 pm on August 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s his own coinage, as nasty and awkward as the man himself. And like a two-year-old who’s just crapped on the carpet, he’s curiously proud of it.

Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, was having second thoughts – or was he? – about the way he had characterized people who are disrupting town halls with “lies, innuendo and rumor,” and not letting others speak. They are, he said, “evil-mongers.”

A day after tossing out the term “evil-mongers” in the closing speech of his annual clean energy conference, Reid was alternating between pride in his coinage and knowing that he probably should be trying to defuse, not escalate, the turmoil erupting at town meetings across the country on health care reform.

“It was an original with me. I maybe could have been less descriptive,” Reid said. He also said, “I doubt that you’ll hear it from me again.” But a few minutes later, he couldn’t resist a sardonic little joke. “I feel I haven’t done anything to embarrass them,” Reid said of his children. “Except maybe call somebody an evil-monger.”

Mind you, this is a guy who’s up for reelection next year and whose unfavorable rating already stands at 50 percent. I’d love to see the internal polling that’s convinced him and Baron Hill that egregiously demonizing protesters — whom more Americans are sympathetic to than not — is a sure path to victory. Consider this further proof, though, that William McGurn was right in dubbing ObamaCare the left’s new religion, with protester-heretics now officially deemed “evil” for shouting about it. Exit question: Isn’t this actually the left’s line on the right in all policy disagreements? Pick any issue you like, foreign or domestic, and liberal conventional wisdom has some nefarious explanation available for the conservative position. Warmongering, racism, exploiting the poor, “controlling women’s bodies” — you name it, they’ve got an “evil” ulterior motive to account for it. I wonder why it took Reid this long to drop the E-bomb. He must really want to win this debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I wonder what Harry “the Body” Reid thinks of those who fought in the Revolution?

When people screamed all sorts of stuff and protests about Bush, that was OK. But to question the current MISADMINISTRATION loaded with cronies, lobbists, etc., that is translated as astroturf, nazism, organized protests.

Looks to me that our Constitution, Bill of Rights, and our laws are going to be rewritten…IN PENCIL.

The False Dervish on August 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM

“di-er-y-rrah” (thanks Hooked on Phonics!)

ya2daup on August 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM

So that’s why he’s always dropping syllables – he’s in a rush to get to the john!

ExpressoBold on August 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Nevada, please… enough!

BobScuba on August 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM

The behavior of politicians these days to closely resembles that of a Mtv reality show.

makaput on August 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Harry Reid is the perfect poster boy for the Democrat party — subborn as a mule, a face like a donkey and the personality of an a$$.

wordsmithy2009 on August 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Our government has been hanging out with the hollyweird crowd too often .
The only bad press is no press . idiots .

liberdadereigns on August 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Attention! Voters of Nevada! ENOUGH… ENOUGH… ENOUGH!!!

Khun Joe on August 13, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Harry is upset.He had a 3 year sexualrelationship with a goat and he’s angry she never calls.

Jeff from WI on August 13, 2009 at 8:30 PM

wordsmithy2009 on August 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExpressoBold on August 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM

guntotinglibertarian on August 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Ah, what the h311. Sure :)

FontanaConservative on August 13, 2009 at 9:23 PM

How do you like ‘pernicious pushers of depravity’? Evil=mongers is a bit more pithy…

A T-shirt with ‘Nazi Evil-monger’ would appeal to me.

jodetoad on August 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM

There’s gotta be somebody the GOP can put up to run this guy out of town!

ncconservative on August 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Being called “an evil mongerer’ by this rotten old douchebag is a complement.

GeneSmith on August 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM

So is an evil monger a combo of evil doer and war monger?

Whew, that’s heavy, dude!

PattyJ on August 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

LOL does anyone take the cornhole king seriously?I await his next econimic forecast.

theTarCzar on August 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM

All I have is three words for Dingy Harry……YOU ARE CLUELESS!!!

shawno on August 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM

“Monger, Evil Monger”. Martini, shaken not stirred….

Go Harry go!!!! Don’t forget about momma and combat boots. Whip it on big boy, you are definately on a roll. I like it, I like it alot. You are doing great! I’m thinking of moving to Nevada just so I can vote for you… no, seriously.

Hog Wild on August 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM

How is nationalizing health care not”controlling women’s bodies? They are 50% of the population.

I have been pointing out the inconsistency of being pro-choice but being pro-obamacare to my lefty friends and it’s driving them nuts. They have no answer. Shocker.

tottoritodd on August 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Harry, you are a certified, card-carrying, corrupt, anti-American, socialist douche*ag. But “maybe I could have been less descriptive”.

Dopenstrange on August 13, 2009 at 11:09 PM

President Cornelius Fudge
Vice President Peter Pettigrew
House Speaker Dolores Umbridge
Senate Majority Leader Lucius Malfoy
Secretary Of State Bellatrix Lestrange
The View starring Rita Skeeter
The New York/LA Daily Prophet
Isla – er – He Who Must Not Be Named

hadsil on August 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Man, that photo of Harry looks like the schoolmaster from a Charles Dickens movie on Masterpiece Theater.

Scary character.

Pazman on August 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Dingy Harry reminds me of the guy in the Twilight Zone series who wanted to shrink all evil people to 2 feet tall…”What’s that Harry, I can’t hear you from down there…”

Brian200 on August 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM

douche-bag hate-monger ==> douche-monger

dont taze me bro on August 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I personally hacve had it with all of these god damned liberals

Personally i will NOT obey any laws passed by them now
Why?

They forgot that they work for US

They besmirched our soldiers
they accused our soldiers of being butchers

but while the democrats all were ready to
Surrender completly to the Islamic nazis
Our fine soldiers held the bastards at bay

these pieces of shit democrats dont deserve the time of day.
these pieces of garbage called senators need to be arrested oon site and then jailed for treason..

its all of america vs the democrats now

they have all proven which side they are on
and its the side of americas enemies..

I wonder how many burkas they promised pelozi and hillary
I wonder how many mansions the islamic terrorists promised to the democrats..

its us versus them now..

I know where i stand..

veteranoutrage on August 14, 2009 at 1:13 AM

“The war is lost”…..how’s it doing now, ya breathing corpse? I’ll never forget that dangerous insult to the troops, and I hope voters don’t forget it the next time this unconstitutional socialist power pig runs for re-election. Enough is enough with these pigs eating from the trough known as the Treasury…………

adamsmith on August 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hey Harry – it takes one to know one! Can’t wait till you’re gone in 2010 – take a look at your poll numbers. You Demoncrats are killing yourselves. Please keep up the good work.

Grace2753 on August 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM