Video: The origin of the “Nazi” references at town-hall protests

posted at 1:38 pm on August 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Stephen Gutowski does the job the media wouldn’t do in tracking down the origin of the “Nazi” references at a handful of town-hall protests, including one oft-referenced poster showing Barack Obama with a Hitler moustache. Does that come from conservatives opposed to single-payer health care systems? In fact, it comes from a fringe group that opposes ObamaCare for not going far enough (via The Blog Prof):

Lyndon LaRouche is to the Right as Alex Jones is to the Left. They’re not representative of anything but a lunatic fringe. In fact, this is probably the most attention LaRouche’s groupies have received in a long time, and they don’t even get the credit for it.

If MS-NBC was a news organization, they could tell the difference, and they could have done the reporting that Stephen did here. Instead, they stick to their mission, which is political hackery on behalf of the Democratic Party. Real reporters may have also asked, as The Blog Prof does, why a man who held that poster also passed out campaign flyers for Rep. John Dingell (D-MI).

Update: Dave Weigel notes the LaRouche connection and credits Stephen, but calls LaRouche an ally to the Right on ObamaCare. Er, not exactly, Dave; they explicitly want a single-payer system, which is what their representative says on camera in that video.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

LOL. So the people with the swastikas turned out to be the people who advocate for single-payer healthcare!

Obama not far enough over for LaRouche and others interested in single-payer thus Hitler, go figure. Look the media will continue on falling on their face, while attacking the mob of reason. Working hard holding the media feet to the fire is continually needed plus embarrassing them is good for moral.

stormen on August 12, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Actually, you did both. Implying that I’m slow is a personal attack.

Not that I care.

Spenol on August 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Yes, and your two mentions of it proves that you don’t care.

massrighty on August 12, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I only care about the intellectual dishonesty in your comment. It’s not like I take offense or anything.

Spenol on August 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Posters offensive not so much so, the offense is faulting the mob for harsher things, like being racists and added name nasty as in paid out to come out. Ironically the posters may have brought concerned people in and out to the town halls. Politics is a dirty game and Chg is the king to this style. Push back and thin skin is needed along with a huge dose of humor when needed.

stormen on August 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Pelosi mentioned swastikas as if it was overkill to bring swastikas and ither such symbols “to a healthcare meeting.”

I don’t think she meant to imply that they were carried approvingly by protesters, as if they were advocating Nazism. Rather, she meant that it was overkill. She’s still an idiot, but upon viewing the video of her remarks repeatedly I changed my mind about why she brought it up.

Of course, leftist morons protesting anything and everything the Bush administration did by carried and associating swastikas in their protests de rigueur, which she either failed to notice or ignored.

This is going to get uglier and curioser.

Akzed on August 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Spenol on August 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Okay, I’ll admit that suggesting that you were slow was a cheap shot. But, you’ve focused narrowly on that, rather than the substance of my post, and others.

Accusing me of “intelectual dishonesty” while ignoring your own is like remarking on the speck in my eye, while ignoring the log in your own.

massrighty on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

The LaRouchers are nuts, but…

am I the only one who is wondering who the hottie in the purple top is?

Just asking…

tlclark on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I still laugh when I remember those old LaRouche for President infomercials.

WannabeAnglican on August 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

LaRouchies had one good moment when they coined, “More nukes, less kooks.”

Akzed on August 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Rush called this one immediately after Pelosi made that idiotic baseless “swastika sign” comment – LOL!!!! The morons are actually making him look brilliant!!!

huskerdiva on August 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

That one Hitler sign said “Cut moustache, NOT Health Care.”

V15J on August 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM

The LaRouchers are nuts, but…

am I the only one who is wondering who the hottie in the purple top is?

Just asking…

tlclark on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

i refer you to my previous comment at 2:18 and congratulate you on your taste and alpha-maleness

TruthBeTold2 on August 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Remeber what Forest mother said “Stupid is as stupid
does”

uber on August 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM

am I the only one who is wondering who the hottie in the purple top is?

Just asking…

tlclark on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I’ve spent considerable time looking very closely to see if there wasn’t an SEIU tag embroidered somewhere on that purple top. It is my considered opinion that there is most certainly not one. And I have indeed looked closely.

coldwarrior on August 12, 2009 at 3:47 PM

LaRouchers are infesting SGP Team Sarah and various rightist sites. Problem is LaRaouche is on the left, he started as a Communist and moved right from there, but he’s still far to the left of the rest of us. We need to purge LaRouchers from the right fast.

Rob Taylor on August 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Lyndon LaRouche is to the Right as Alex Jones is to the Left

other way around.

eh on August 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I would like to see Chris Matthews with a Hitler mustache, but I don’t think the girly man could grow one.

Hening on August 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM

i caught a bunch of laroucheniks outside my trader joes with that same poster three or four weeks ago, long before the town hall protests even started. I took this photo on July 2nd outside a trader joes in San Clemente CA where the larouchers were prattling on

thegreatsatan on August 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Hening on August 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM

done and done.

TruthBeTold2 on August 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM

chris matthews

TruthBeTold2 on August 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM

dammit. pressed submit before putting in link twice in a row. sorry all. i’ve put myself on post probation for a bit.

TruthBeTold2 on August 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I dont see anything wrong with obama/hitler
screw the leftist, they don’t dictate
what we do

Locrian on August 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM

TruthBeTold2 on August 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

C’mon, you keen do eet!!

Give it another shot.

coldwarrior on August 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM

ok how long before the first O-joker poster altered with little hit-mostash shows up? What the hey throw a che beret on that bitch too.

Dave J on August 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Now there’s a purple shirt I can appreciate…

Bat Chain Puller on August 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Uhm, Alex Jones is a conservative, Ed.

Riposte on August 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Quite right. Jones represents the extreme isolationist, buy 50rifles, and hunker down in your survivalist bunker because the government is putting poison in the vaccines and water, side of the right wing.

V-rod on August 12, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Clear shot of the LaRouchePac verbiage on the sign:

Abby Adams on August 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM

PROVOCATEUR – any of you folks know what it means? Another good phrase would be ” trouble making asshole on the payroll”. Also, check out the Craig’s List entries from Sacramento’s last week help wanted section – Obama shitheads wanted for hire. Really! Check it out! Oh, by the way, check out who the mayor of Sacramento is and see if there is any connection to the Obamas or to any stimulus/porkulus monies. Jesus!

LarryG on August 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM

When I was a teenager I was driving with some friends and we saw a poster on a highway underpass that read “Lyndon LaRouche, Jailed Because He’s So Feared By Bush”. That’s George H.W. Bush, by the way.

I believe it was a campaign poster. My friends and I were by no means political. One of my friends in the car informed me who LaRouche was. Even then we thought he was a goof.

losers.

rihar on August 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Gee. One would think that the media has been caught off guard with a Hitler reference.

I wonder if they watched the protests over the past eight years?

madmonkphotog on August 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM

More fine work done by someone not in the MSM.

A pattern to be sure!

RedNewEnglander on August 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM

For everyone wondering who the reporter in the purple shirt is:

thecollegepolitico on August 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Alex Jones is a lunatic?

Prove it.

Anders on August 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM

So this is how you play in “the big league”? Cheap shots and ad hominems?

Spenol

Just for the clueless like yourself. No point wasting time trying to win an argument with a moron on a blog.

By the way, last I checked, “big pharma” agreed to spend over $100 million to promote Obamacare.

xblade on August 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM

thecollegepolitico is right!

THAT’S MY GIRL IN THE PURPLE SHIRT!

You all will be happy to know that she is as conservative as her mother…;-)

Rightwingsparkle on August 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Uhm, Alex Jones is a conservative, Ed.

Riposte

That explains why he believes Bush blew up WTC.

Not.

xblade on August 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM

thecollegepolitico is right!

THAT’S MY GIRL IN THE PURPLE SHIRT!

You all will be happy to know that she is as conservative as her mother…;-)

Rightwingsparkle on August 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

She will have a full report on the single payer rally, including the interview in this video, coming out this week.

Everybody watch for it!

thecollegepolitico on August 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM

That’s not a Hitler mustache. That’s a Charlie Chaplin mustache. Their just pointing out that he’s a joke. Yes/No?

multiuseless on August 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM

thecollegepolitico on August 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Good catch! And I do mean good catch!!

Mom’s not so bad herself.

coldwarrior on August 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Who’s the babe in the purple top?

DDT on August 12, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Just came back from the Marcia Fudge townhall at Case Western Reserve. The LaRouche Youth were there with their idiotic signs. A couple of progressive bloggers were there, and even after I did an interview with one of them explaining the differences and how the LaRouche whackjobs think the health care plan is not socialist enough, they still somehow try to link the Tea Party group to Obama as Hitler posters.

roger wilco on August 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM

So this is how you play in “the big league”? Cheap shots and ad hominems?

Spenol

xblade on August 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Well, I had sex with your wife!

Spenol on August 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Hmmm just thought it was public knowledge. I’m Australian, I was in Chicago recently and down Michigan Ave near the Apple Store and NikeTown there was a table set out with people handing out booklets and CDs campaigning. The poster had a person on a gurney body covered in a white sheets and saying something to the effect “how you’ll covered by Obamacare”. I picked up a booklet that had Obama photoshopped laughing alongside to a vintage photo of Hitler and his pals. Very cheeky photo. It was for the Lyndon Larouche foundation. There was an African American guy doing the hardsell amongst the group behind the table.

Probably should scan the cover. I remember Alex Jones did pop into my head.

PunditFight on August 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM