Video: Sheila Jackson-Lee shows her respect for constituents

posted at 10:55 am on August 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) went back to her district in Houston to show her constituents her respect for their concerns, which she demonstrates at about the 4:30 mark of this video. When was the last time one of your employees interrupted a meeting with you to take a cell phone call, especially in the middle of a tough question? Listen to the reaction around the person taking the video:

“She’s not even listening. … Seriously? … I mean, come on.”

Keep watching for a couple of minutes afterward, because Jackson-Lee does worse when she’s paying attention. She claims that the public plan won’t impact the existence of private insurance, and then in the same breath claims it will compete against existing private plans to make them “better”. And while her constituent tells a difficult tale of cancer survival, the best Jackson-Lee can offer is that a public plan will allow people to lose weight without having to pay $19.99 to those programs we see on TV. Er, $19.99 is less than most co-pays; it’s certainly less than what one has to pay through Medicare without Medicare Advantage for a doctor visit.

And what exactly is wrong with Slim-Fast and other private sector nutrition programs? They’re accessible, they’re effective for at least some people, and by the way, insurance plans don’t cover them anyway. If that’s the best sales pitch ObamaCare and Jackson-Lee have, it’s going down in low-cal flames.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

It’s as if she was shooting a scene for her opponents own political attack ad. If she isn’t gone in 2010 when this video will be undoubtedly aired in every campaign commercial against her, then something is seriously wrong.
JoelD on August 12, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Knowing her district as I do, the video unfortunately won’t hurt her at all. In fact, it could help her, believe it or not. The questioner, you see, is not someone who really counts in that district, quite
dis-able indeed.

TXUS on August 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Just received an e-mail from Tracy Miller that she will be on Fox News tonight (Greta’s show) and on Fox & Friends in the morning. Hopefully she’ll have even better things to show and discuss following tonight’s Town Hall with Sheila J-L!

SouthernPride on August 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

The democrats so hate america and its citizens
that they dont even try to hide their contempt anymore..

She probably was getting a phone call from osama bin laden..
or the KGB..

veteranoutrage on August 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Hi everyone. I am newly registered and very happy to be here as I can’t even stand talking to liberals anymore without getting angry and disgusted.

As to Sheila Jackson, it is simply appalling to me that she would have the audacity to take calls when she is supposed to be there to listen. Unfrigginbelievable! I guess the audacity to treat others as if they are less than runs rampant in our elected officials, particularly Democrats. It boggles my mind that these people actually get elected. I do hold out hope that many people are waking up and seeing how corrupt our government actually is. Out with the politicians and in with the statesman and women!

ReneePA on August 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM

A perfect illustration of the slight regard libturds have for their constituents.

dogsoldier on August 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM

ReneePA on August 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Audacity? Well of course. After all, her messiah wrote the bible AKA The Audacity of Hope.

Welcome aboard.

TXUS on August 12, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I love to use the word audacity! Hahaha!

ReneePA on August 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM

“Yes….yes, I ordered a large pizza with
pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms and ham. Oh, and please deliver it to the side door…and don’t forget to bill it to the taxpayers”.

centre on August 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Cody Baker on August 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

SouthernPride on August 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Thanks, the DVR is set. Tracy, indeed, is a treasure!

TXUS on August 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I love to use the word audacity! Hahaha!
ReneePA on August 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Yeah, but I find the word “Mendacity” to be more appropos when it comes to SJL and her ilk in congress. ;)

TXUS on August 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

The people at the Town Halls are not showing the Congressmen respect….

Everytime a congressman lies or in this case ignores a constituent, they are showing why they deserve no respect.

jeffn21 on August 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Can we please turn one of the images from this video into a caption contest?!
“What are my talking points again? Competitive Public option…keep your own provider…what other lies?”

ILuvRedDawn on August 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Give poor Sheila a break,she was on the line with illegitimate child #3′s Daddy listening to him whine about how he can’t send the child support check again.
She’s got priorities people!

inevitable on August 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Funny how her phone rang just at the right time.

Akzed on August 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

How about those not even having town hall meetings because they do not want to hear a dissenting voice? dogsoldier on August 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Carper (D-ickhead), Kaufman (D-Placeholder for Beau Biden), and Castle (R-INO) are missing in action in DE so far.

Akzed on August 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM

If you opose Obamacare than you need to do two things…
Go to the TownHall meeting with an 8.5 x 11 piece of yellow paper with NO on it. – This will help to combat the image that MOVEON is generating by passing out the preprinted pages at all of the Town Hall meetings so that the media recordings pick up all of the “supporters” in the picture – and paper is allowed in but not “signs”.

Take a note pad and ask people to sign your pettiton against Obamacare so that we can send our petions to the congress showing that we don’t support it just like the Soros paid MOVEON idiots are doing.

HelpusNOW on August 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I think she was asking Morpheus to get her out of there!

Bobby Bulivia on August 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

The preventative module is going to have doctors rapping with us about nutrition, smoking, alcohol consumption and high blood pressure. Sure, I believe that. I’ve heard so much about Lee I kinda expected her to have the pop-eyed look of Cynthia McKinney. Kinda disappointing.

thegreatbeast on August 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM

All liberals in the Houston area are that pathetic and arrogant.

Houstonians who support them are idiots. Total idiots.

madmonkphotog on August 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM

She has to be the worst rep in the House (which is saying a lot). If this woman were my employee I would have fired her long ago. She has one of the most poverity stricken areas of Houston and has done nothing to help the people.

micmac on August 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM

oops “poverty”

micmac on August 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Wow. Just. . . wow.

RedNewEnglander on August 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I think she was asking Morpheus to get her out of there!

Bobby Bulivia on August 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

And Morpheus was faking an equipment malfunction.

LOL!!!

Sapwolf on August 12, 2009 at 6:19 PM

This has got to go national on all the news shows.

Sapwolf on August 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM

We’ll be thrown in camps for wiping our asses without government approval.

Sapwolf on August 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Surprised so few people are talking about the freaky conspiracy theory captions. Kind of like how the “Americans Against ObamaCare” group on Facebook lists Ron Paul and a bunch of vaccine conspiracy theories (it’s unfortunate that there’s a correlation) among its favorite pages.

It’s hard to be on the side of what’s right. It’s harder to be on the side of what’s right when a bunch of lunatics want to team up with you.

pifactorial on August 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I just found out that the person asking the question is one of my fellow “ranters” who spoke at the Houston Tea Party on July 3.

There are plenty of Tea Party patrons who are attending these meetings, as we did this past Saturday when Rep. Kevin Bradygave us a presentation on healthscare.

Gene Greene of Houston and SJL are complete losers, and this vid demonstrates that.

madmonkphotog on August 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM

SouthernPride (or anyone else):

I’m trying to find Tracy for a short story I am doing for my site. If you know her, could you please pass along my site address and she can contact me through there?

David Wood

MyCellPhoneIsKillingMe.com on August 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Look a this fat ugly pig.If she had her way she would kill all the white people.Shelia is a bigot.

Denniscat on August 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I’m sure it was very important for Rep.(?)Jackson Lee to be on the phone ignoring the Cancer survivor because she had to make sure she got her KFC order correct, don’t ya’ know!

GreezyFingers on August 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM

AND MOSES CAME DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS

MRMIKE on August 12, 2009 at 11:42 PM

It’s comin’ folks, time is here…

GreezyFingers on August 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Sheila “Lookat-Me” will show up anywhere that has a TV camera. Consequently she will cancel on events she’s been invited to that do not have TV cameras.

It’s a little game I play when going to public events I know she’s been invited to.

rihar on August 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Let me amend this. It’s not really a “game”. It’s more like an equation.

1.Sheila Lookat-Me on agenda + Event + TV camera = will attend

((SJL/LM)+E)+T=WA

2.Sheila Lookat-Me on agenda + Event – TV camera = will cancel on event.

((SJL/LM)+E)-T=WCOE

Someone please check my math.

rihar on August 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I used to live in Pearland, a suburb of Houston, and had to watch this stupid idiot on TV all the time pursing her lips and acting like an MLK wannabe. She’s one of the congresswomen/men who will never be defeated because she lives in a black Democratic district. The only way she would ever be defeated is if hell freezes over. They need to ship her off into the sunset with Ron Paul. They’re both jerks.

NathanG on August 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM

It reminds me of how I listen to my kids when they talk to me while I am reading Hot Air. “Yeah, honey…I am listening…keep talking.”

kelbow1600 on August 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Damn, we’re a tolerant people!

Other countries have fallen apart at the seams over far less than the disrespect we’re getting from this pack of PTB jackals.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Maybe if someone would have hit this smarmy idiot, Lee, in the head with a chair, you might have gotten her attention…but that seems to be EXACTLY what these scumbags like Lee want.

nelsonknows on August 13, 2009 at 1:30 AM

What is she doing when she puts the phone up to her mouth like that? Looks like she’s taking a hit from a crack pipe.

Daemonocracy on August 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Unfortunately, I live in Queen Sheila’s district. This will have no effect at all. She could kill someone and still win by 60-40% margin.

At least Craig Washington (her predecessor) had spotty attendance and missed half the votes, so he could do less damage (grin).

golfer1 on August 13, 2009 at 5:36 AM

disgraceful

CarpalTunnel on August 13, 2009 at 8:00 AM

pifactorial on August 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM

To quote Han Solo, “short help is better than no help.”

Cylor on August 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Patterico’s really giving this entire story a truly deserved wedgie.

Coronagold on August 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Rep Jackson-Lee had the modicum of decency to at least show up physically for the townhall. My worthless U.S. Rep Foster is hiding out during the recess and studiously avoiding any contact with his constituency.
Gutless tool.

Mulligan on August 13, 2009 at 9:15 AM

total disrespect plain and simple. Everyone knows to turn off your phone in a meeting so what was so important that she had to have the phone on? They act like royalty and they rule us when in fact they are the servants of the people. No wonder america is in such bad shape with the people we have running govt.

larry harris on August 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Funny how her phone rang just at the right time.

Akzed on August 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

lol
Maybe she had a staff member call her from the back of the room.

Mulligan on August 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Miss Jackson planned this, plain and simple. She is showing her contempt and wants all to see how she really feels about her constituents. C’mon Texans, vote her out!

shemurray on August 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM

That’s ok…their strategy is failing big time.

Tactic #1 – Ignore (rushing through bill before August break) – FAIL

Tactic #2 – Demonize (compare protesters to Nazis, Mob, KKK) – FAIL

Tactic #3 – Contempt (take cell phone calls, fall asleep during town halls) – FAIL

close your eyes and imagine election night 2010 when these people realize they don’t have a job anymore.

tatersalad on August 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I bet it was a call consisting of heavy breathing or was it her version of Obama’s teleprompters telling her what her next line is or warning her to get out a dodge NOW!!

MSGTAS on August 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM