Rasmussen on Obama: 52% disapprove

posted at 12:55 pm on August 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Rasmussen actually gives Barack Obama some mixed news today in its presidential tracking poll.  Among likely voters, Obama has wiped out the “unsures”; he now has a 48% job approval rating, with 52% disapproving of his performance.  On the other hand, the gap between strong approval and strong disapproval has narrowed since July:

Overall, 48% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President’s performance. That matches the lowest level of total approval yet recorded. Fifty-two percent (52%) now disapprove. …

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 31% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Thirty-six percent (36%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -5 …

So far in August, the President’s Approval Index rating has ranged from -4 to -9. That’s an improvement from the last week in July when his ratings ranged from -8 to -12.

The gap appears to have closed in both directions.  In July, 39% strongly disapproved of Obama’s performance, and as few as 26% strongly approved.  The narrowing of that gap represents a bit of a comeback among Obama supporters, and perhaps slightly less passionate opposition to Obama as the spotlight drifted away from the White House over the last week to ten days of townhall meetings.

However, the needle hasn’t moved much at all in the overall approval ratings for the last month or so, and his internals don’t look good at all.  The latest numbers on issues look very poor indeed.  Only 29% now trust Obama to handle the economic crisis than their own judgment, a huge drop from just a few months ago, and a critical problem for Democrats who usually own that issue.  There isn’t a single income demographic that feels Obama can handle the job better than they can individually, not even the under-$20K group, whose 50%-35% against Obama is the best he does on income demographics.  Even government employees, normally a reliably liberal bloc, trust themselves better by more than 2-1, 66%-28%.

That lack of confidence in Obama will have major repercussions in policy debates.  It already infects the ObamaCare debate, but it will also be a problem when it comes to cap-and-trade.  And as Obama tries to regain the spotlight this week on health-care reform, expect the numbers on the passion index to worsen yet again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Thank you. That’s really my deal. Portability.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

That’s all you want? Portability? That could be accomplished easily, and with major bipartisan support … except the democrats don’t want that.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

All insurance does is hide the cost of what you are buying, in this case health care. This hiding of costs allows for the costs being driven up by both inside and outside forces with you having little control over them. This is what I like about the new HSA plans, they allow you to see what things are really costing and giving you the opportunity to get your insurance cost down and becoming more informed.

Here’s what I think is nuts. I think we all agree that 300 bucks for ibuprophen or some other typical medication is nuts.

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Hey ya’ll, I just registered, look forward to some back & forth!

kitkat-n.c. on August 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Welcome. It gets brutal in here.

A couple of hints: express the slightest reservation about Sarah Palin or about the wisdom of carrying a gun to a political event and you will be instantly branded as a “troll”, a “liberal” or a “RINO”.

Oh, one more thing. Ignore the death threats from Terry Skyver. Better yet, don’t mention the founding fathers.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I just wanted a flipping option out of private care.

It’s gotten so jumbled.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

??? How insulting. Because YOU want an option the entire US medical care system must be destroyed?

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

It’s a little problem that can be summed up like this, anninca….
Liberty or Tyranny.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

On the surface, I agree with you. But knowing how Ann has a tendency to lie, how can we really be sure she didn’t vote for Obama?

ladyingray on August 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Of course she did. She probably lined up at her precinct at 3:00 a.m. in order to cast the first historic vote for our first-evah Black President.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

You need to look no further than your medicare that you are so in favor of to find the answer to that. Medicare required doctors to charge x price for x drug, period. I recently had the opportunity to chat with a practing physician who has been for a long time, including prior to medicare. He said he used to be able to provide free care based on what he could afford personally. Drug companies often provided free samples that he could give away, etc. Once medicare came in, that all disappeared in the regulatory nonsense it introduced.

This is a prime example of how government interferrence in a private industry does more harm than good.

TKSnider on August 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

You just figured that out?

It’s all about what Ann wants.

Free.

Free healthcare
Free pony

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I know. Nuts, huh?

Well, it makes me nuts.

Yes, I really want real portability. That’s it. I think it benefits American worker. They won’t even have to ask about benfits.

Let’s move forward. That’s my goal.

But I never thought it should be an entitlement program.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Ann is a Hill-Tramp, she is a big Clinton fan, ’nuff sed.

thomasaur on August 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Yeah … that is expensive. Ever thought about why? People who can buy insurance and don’t, and millions of illegal aliens receive care and treatment all the time. Hospitals and clinics must collect on treating these people by raising the price of everything else.

And you wonder why insurance rates have climbed.

To you everyone is greedy and evil. The real evil here is government. Every single problem we have today has been caused by the government.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Liberty or Tyranny.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

You sound like one of those paid Mobsters.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Let’s move forward. That’s my goal.

But I never thought it should be an entitlement program.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Then stop supporting Obama’s DeathCare bill. That is the only way to actually move forward.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

P’haps, if he were to pander to every identity group in existence, and call it “The Medal of Freedom” his marks would go up.

franksalterego on August 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Ann, we can get together on this;
Conservatives want;
Portability
Tort Reform
The ability for insurance companies to write policies that provide coverage to employees across multiple states
Transparency in billing

All of these things would provide cost savings to employers (and by extension, employees who pay a % of their coverage costs.)

The reason for the contentious nature of the debate is this; the several bills that are proposed did not have input from Republicans, and don’t address these key issues.

So, things that are demonstrably good are ignored, and a huge bill will be crafted, without full review, by a ruling group that is not listening.

massrighty on August 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Free healthcare
Free pony

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Free Pony Sandwiches?

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Free pony

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I need some free ammo.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Liberty or Tyranny.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM
You sound like one of those paid Mobsters.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

…..And my dream was to be an obama a$$plant. Damn. Mob it is.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Cause, (to quote Jeff Foxworthy,) “you can’t fix stupid”!

huskerdiva on August 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I didn’t vote or support Obama, guys.

I voted McCain/Palin.

Obama is in the intial months, so there’s a lot to emerge yet.

Right now?

Nobody on the GOP side attracts me.

This could end up being yet another vote for the less of the evils.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

What are you talking about?

I can get ibuprofen at Wal-Mart for about 6 bucks.

highway64 on August 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Mob it is.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

But, we’re glad you’re with us. Go here for your uniform.

massrighty on August 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I’ll tell this story one more time:

In 1992, I had a terrible accident. I was in a coma, near death. 3 weeks in ICU. Then 5 more weeks in a semi-private room.

Guy in the bed next to me was an illegal from the Dominican Republic. He was diagnosed with AIDS back home, so he jumped on a plane to NYC, made any asylum claim at JFK, was released with a notice to appear for a hearing.

He got into a cab, straight to the emergency room. When they wheeled me in, he had been in that bed for about 6 weeks. Very intensive care. Nurse told me he would probably expire in about 2 months – meanwhile he would be in that bed, sucking up medical care.

My bill came to over a quarter million dollars. I estimate his was well over a million.

There are hundreds of thousands of stories like that.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Because the people who are writing this legislation have no credibility? Because the guy selling this legislation, has no credibility?

Even if we could hypothetically agree on something, the Democrats will just turn around and interpret it 180 degress different than any reasonable person would interpret it.

Bottom line is that I don’t trust Barack Obama or the Democrats one iota. They are completely corrupt and wholly incompetent.

NoDonkey on August 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Nobody on the GOP side attracts me.

This could end up being yet another vote for the less of the evils.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

2010 is coming up … the priority is to take power away from the democrats.

I seriously doubt the democrats could be challenged in the “evil” department.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I didn’t vote or support Obama, guys.

I voted McCain/Palin.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I don’t believe you. I’ve lurked here for months, and all you do is rail about universal health care like it’s a religion.

So you’re telling me you voted for the ONE party that does NOT support UHC?

Nice try. Just admit you voted for Obama.

Obama is in the intial months, so there’s a lot to emerge yet.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

You don’t know him by now?? He’s been campaigning since January of 2007. We’ve all known him for 2 1/2 years (longer than Palin was governor).

By that logic, you shouldn’t give up on Palin yet, either, because there is “more to emerge”, but again, from your posts, you gave up on Palin a long time ago (yet now claim you voted for her — even without universal health care).

Good try.

highway64 on August 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM
What are you talking about?

I can get ibuprofen at Wal-Mart for about 6 bucks.

She’s specifically talking about in a hospital when they charge you 300$ for the otc pain killers. Or at least I believe she is, she does live (assumably) in California.

TKSnider on August 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Obama’s losing independents in droves, even some Democrats. His approval rating is plummeting due to that idiotic “stimulus” Bill and this dog of a health care reform “plan”.

You are the only Republican he’s gained, congratulations on that.

NoDonkey on August 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

There are hundreds of thousands of stories like that.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Glad you got thru that ok.

You’re right … hospitals and clinics are forced to charge more and more to cover the treatment of illegals and we see it in increased medical care costs and insurance premiums

The government knows this and let it happen, just like the housing boom. They knew the consequences.

It was a setup from the word go so the democrats could come rushing to the rescue with their DeathCare bill.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I didn’t vote or support Obama, guys.

I voted McCain/Palin.

Obama is in the intial months, so there’s a lot to emerge yet.

Right now?

Nobody on the GOP side attracts me.

This could end up being yet another vote for the less of the evils.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Who the hell cares who you voted for, ann. You support abortion and apprently, you support the government take over of healthcare. Nobody cares. Your credibility ranks right there with Robert Gibbs.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Obama is blah blah blah at his medal of freedom ceremony. Doesn’t tell anyone that he is awarding a racist who attended an anti-American race summit.

andy85719 on August 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Another ugly story:

My wife is an endodontist, trained at University of Pennsylvania.

She was bitten by a rabid bat. Went to the emergency room at U of Penn hospital.

Regardless of her affiliation with the University, she sat in the ER waiting room for 6 hours.

Why? Because ambulance patients go straight on in. So she sat and watched while savvy inner-city types and hispanics who called an ambulance when they got a sniffle jumped ahead of her.

guntotinglibertarian on August 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Mob it is.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM
But, we’re glad you’re with us. Go here for your uniform.

massrighty on August 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I like the one with the pitchfork. :) I’ll bring my own torch.

HornetSting on August 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Sandra Day O’Connor looks like she wants to smack Obama upside the head. Obama is awarding racist anti-American.

andy85719 on August 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

AnninCA, I invite you to come visit where I live. We’ll take a visit to a typical hostpital. You can see people who have socialist government provided healthcare. See how these fantasies play out. I know you’ve never seen it for yourself, certainly not lived it.

DarkCurrent on August 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM

TKSnider on August 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Where does one pay $300. for an Ibuprofen?
I call bullshet.

Itchee Dryback on August 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM

TKSnider on August 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Where does one pay $300. for an Ibuprofen?
I call bullshet.

I’ve seen others who have made such claims as well. Though it may be a bit exaggerated, it is highly elevated pricing when you get OTC drugs in the hospital and again, most of that is tied to what medicare requires the hospitals to charge.

TKSnider on August 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

slip sliding away….

Terrye on August 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

His approval rating may be 48%, but I’m 100% certain he’s a total tool.

madmonkphotog on August 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Where does one pay $300. for an Ibuprofen?
I call bullshet.

Itchee Dryback on August 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM

In NOT FOR PROFIT hospitals of course.

jukin on August 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM

darwin

That can be accomplished without any legislation….stop buying your insurance through your employer. Otherwise, what can be done?

You can’t expect your ex-employer to continue paying for your health insurance policy, and most people wouldn’t want to pay for it themselves because they would have to pay for the entire policy. Folks like Ann already complain about what they pay now…could you imagine what would happen if they had to pay for the whole thing? You also can’t expect a new employer to pay for a policy that may cost more than what they offer to current employees.

Frankly, the portability claim is a strawman. You don’t get to take your salary with you if you leave a job, you don’t get to take the 401k plan with you, or the company car, or the vacation plan, etc either. Just because someone likes the health insurance plan offered by their previous employer doesn’t mean they are entitled to keep it forever.

Where does one pay $300. for an Ibuprofen?

Itchee Dryback

In fantasy land…where Ann spends most of her time.

xblade on August 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I’m for public option, so I’d like to see a reasonable bill passed.

AnninCA

Talk about an oxymoron, lol.

xblade on August 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Ann,

Assuming you live in California and the utter and complete social / moral / cultural / economic collapse of that state:

Why would any of the proposed universal health care packages magically work at the Federal level when they have failed at the state level?

If you want genuine health care reform please look at what the State of Texas did – and it works.

With two examples – a failed liberal big gov’t policy and a fairly successful conservative program – Why do you pick the policy that has never succeeded anywhere?

For example in California it would be illegal for me to not get a health insurance policy without drug/alcohol abuse & mental health.

Costs are astronomical because the gov’t forces me to buy stuff I don’t want/need from the insurance companies.

And as a contractor I do pay my own insurance as I have for years – if I could get a $10,000 deductible I would do say – health insurance is there for something catastrophic in my case not every drop of cough syrup but I am not allowed to do that

odooley8939 on August 12, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Is there an adult in the administration?

History Chaser on August 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM

TAKE A LOOK FOR YOURSELF

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO RECEIVE

MRMIKE on August 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM

And he’s freee! Free fallin’!

bobkat on August 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM

ROVE, YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!!

B Man on August 13, 2009 at 12:11 AM

52%… and rising…

Khun Joe on August 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Is there an adult in the administration?

History Chaser on August 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Why yessss…..remember….Getalife said so. :)

NathanG on August 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM

ANY so called public option will destroy all options. Obama himself said so. Who are you going to believe? Your own eyes and ears or the one.

Mojave Mark on August 13, 2009 at 1:45 AM

…And the hits just keep on comin’! It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy! I am very happy to see that a lot of the sheepal are finally starting to wake up to see what this guy is really all about.

shawno on August 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM

AnninCA favors the public option because it covers illegals. she’s a moron.

darwin on August 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM

angryed on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

The rats on the good ship Democrat are already deserting.

This sinking ship of a health plan has a Captain who didn’t see the iceberg that was right in front of him, all along.

NoDonkey on August 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Very simply because there are two mutually incompatible visions for America.

Liberals envision a society where everything is cooperative, where everyone pools their resource — with the government being the treasurer and dispenser of goods — so that everyone is rich.

Conservatives envision a society where hard work and discipline are rewarded, since they are the attributes that create prosperity. Every man is free to live according to the dictates of his own conscience, to take such risks as he is willing — free to succeed, but equally free to fail. They recognize that some pooling of resources is necessary to provide for defense, law enforcement and basic infrastructure, and GENERALLY agreeing that government is an acceptable (though highly flawed) means of caring for those who are unable to care for themselves. But beyond that, they expect to keep the fruits of their own labor.

Of course, the liberal concept has some appeal (though not much, to me), but it ignores a harsh reality: when the industrious live no better than the idle, there is scant motivation to be industrious. Next thing you know, you can’t even scrounge up a roll of TP.

RegularJoe on August 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Rasmussen Daily Tracking “passion” index -8
Overall disappoval 47%

normschaef on August 13, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I just can’t imagine why we can’t get together on this.

AnninCA on August 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Translation: I can’t understand why you don’t sit down, shut up and accept whatever the hell Democrats give you and like it.

Because their track record is so good on this type of thing.

NoDonkey on August 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM