Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on August 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama tried to calm an angry electorate yesterday by explaining his motives for conducting a government takeover of the health-care system, 15% of the American economy and a deeply personal issue for everyone. Unfortunately, Obama’s explanation failed the YouTube test. He told a Portsmouth, New Hampshire audience that he’s never said he supported single-payer health care (via Below the Beltway):

“I have not said that I was a single-payer supporter … I believe it would be too disruptive.”

Really? Maybe someone should clue Obama into the development of YouTube. This particular video has been floating around the Internet since the presidential campaign, from an appearance at the AFL-CIO in 2003, when Obama was running for the Senate:

I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care program. I see no reason why the United States of America, the wealthiest country in the history of the world, spending 14 percent of its Gross National Product on health care cannot provide basic health insurance to everybody. And that’s what Jim is talking about when he says everybody in, nobody out. A single payer health care plan, a universal health care plan. And that’s what I’d like to see. But as all of you know, we may not get there immediately. Because first we have to take back the White House, we have to take back the Senate, and we have to take back the House.

Hey, Linda Douglass. I think I found a source of disinformation on ObamaCare. Can you add Barack Obama, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC to your watch list?

Addendum: Normally I’d put a link to Chris Muir’s Day by Day site here, but today I want to do more than that. Chris has a fundraising drive to keep his excellent cartoon alive.  Be sure to drop a few dollars in his collection to keep one of the Rightosphere’s most talented warriors in the fight!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d sooner trust my healthCare to Dr. Kevorkian than The Pinnochio Presidente!
At least Kervorkian would tell the truth as he percieved it to be…… Pinnochio, not so much, with him the ends justify the means ….LIAR and THIEF!

The strings are coming lose from the Puppet and Gepetto can’t be happy about it!

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM

So, Barry was for the Single Payer System before he was against it?

Gosh, why does that sound so familiar?

Mich_93 on August 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Well that sucks!

Scarbarian on August 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Well lets look at it as great minds think alike and all that…

Mich_93 on August 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM

You don’t need a decoder ring…just simply remember whatever he says, it is the opposite that is true!

kabukiwatch on August 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Yes, of course I have. But he presents a study in contrasts. For someone who lives and breathes for public acceptance, can he ignore the growing outrage? He has painted himself in a corner with this one.

sherry on August 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Actually, that seems to be more of a Bill Clinton description. Clinton positively needed to be loved by “the people.” I’m not so sure that Obama cares much about people adoring him. As long as the media paints him in a positive light, reinforcing his own view of himself as intelligent and articulate, and he can (and will) control the crowds he is exposed to, I don’t think he much cares about what the rest of the country thinks, even if they’re in the majority as he can do what liberals do so well and paint them as the “enemy” – stupid, selfish, and lacking in compassion for their fellow citizens. I’ve been around it enough to know the general themes.

piglet on August 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Liars hate their victims….Proverbs 26:28

ohiobabe on August 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I have not said that I was a single-payer supporter

This I believe is the biggest gaffe of his Presidency, because it was one thing for members of his court to claim he never said this and he could deny later he ever told them to say it.

President Obama himself now has flat out lied to the American people and it is going to be interesting if the MSM reports about it.

JeffinSac on August 12, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Perhaps the Chicago thugs are hiding the truth from Cupcake? Look over at Michelle’s articles about how Cupcake was surrounded by total adoring plants at his town hall meeting.

What joke. Why waste the taxpayers’ money getting him to these places. They could fly the plants into the WH, film their little lying segments and push it out to the awaiting adoring media, saving tons of time and money.

katablog.com on August 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Oh and forgot to add, I am still boggled beyond belief why Obama simply didn’t say he changed his mind after looking at more facts instead of denying something that he KNEW was recorded on tape.

JeffinSac on August 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

….
kavArkian

with an a…

/seinfeld

blatantblue on August 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Pathological lying USED to be considered a form of mental illness. Has that concept been debunked?

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM

No it has not been debunked and it is obvious that Pinnochio has had a serious mental breakdown brought on by his ascention from a 0 to Presidente!

This man is seriously sick and should be pittied and removed from office before he hurts himself or someone else!

For the sake of Pinnochio and Michelle and her kids help him! Please help him step down to a job he can handle…. Community organizer on the south side of chicago where the constituents are lucky to have graduated from 8th grade.

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I’m not so sure that Obama cares much about people adoring him.

Naw, he loves himself enough –he doesn’t need the love from the masses

That would require intelligence and the ability to think logically.

Beaglemom on August 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Do you suppose that Barry actually knows or at least suspects that he is a pathological liar? I read somewhere that these can so readily convince themselves that their lies are true that they need never see themselves accurately. It’s hard to grasp though, that when confronted with his own picture, his own voice and his own words on that video that he could continue to deny it. He must have some distant idea since he’s altered his excuse to ‘changing his mind’ . What a strange and distorted entity we now have in the WH.

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM

It seems that when it comes to his health care reform that when Obama’s lips are moving he is lieing, I wonder if he has even read the proposal, or if he is just relying on dim talking points

ArthurJ on August 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM

JeffinSac on August 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Oh, that is easy. It is because He knows that the MSM will just preface or follow the older comments with some drivel about ‘out of context’ or ‘misunderstood’. The One was, is, and always will be perfect in all ways.

IlikedAUH2O on August 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I heard Kirsten Powerless explain those inconsistent comments on FOX. She just said something like :

He didn’t mean that.

He didn’t say that.

You get it.

IlikedAUH2O on August 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM

No he is sick I tell you he is a serious danger to himself and others. Call in the doctors the healthcare czars the men in white coats he is sick from stress. Give the poor man a break and a vacation!

Seriously, I don’t think he even thinks about what the hell he is saying Actsholerod or Immanuel write up someting, post it on his teleprompter and Pinnochio reads it. Thats’ why all the questions are screened and the audience hand picked. He knows the questions and has the response ready if he doesn’t he walks all over his tongue, like he seemingly did with the post office thing!

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM

In that same article I recall reading about pathological lying(and no, I don’t remember where except it was something I googled quite a long time ago to shed some light on a discussion I had had with friends on the subject of a book titled High Risk, so cannot vouch for its authenticity)it was said that it was usually considered an incurable form of mental illness and could be triggered in folks who suffered from incomplete or unsuccessful bonding experiences in childhood. Just a lot of psycho babble? Possibly, but it does seem to apply somewhat in this instance?

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Liars hate their victims….Proverbs 26:28

ohiobabe on August 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Will Obama end up hating himself through his lies? A huge step down for the Narcissist in Chief!

Steve Z on August 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Pinnochio seems to have bonded fairly well with the mainstream media, his union lackeys, and black folks!

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I really thought the Obamateurism of the Day was going to be him talking about how the public option was like the post office, and UPS and FedEx are doing fine but the post office always seems to be having problems.

clement on August 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Glenn Beck has been talking about this this morning. It drives me nuts. This guy could literally stand in front of people and say “I am not here” and people would believe him.

KevinFnLshow on August 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

JeffinSac on August 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

That’s exactly what I said… politicians flip-flop all the time.

I believe the Liberals call it “evolving on an issue”.

jana on August 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Obama lie? Say it aint so! heh

becki51758 on August 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

The First Liar — The Liar In Chief — is “… acting . . . stupidly” again.

EconomicNeocon on August 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

The book and article were referring to bonding with parents or parental substitutes. It claims that children who fail to do this or do so incompletely are at risk for various behaviors in varying degrees of long term effect. One of the milder long term effects is supposedly pointless lying and another is learning to con or charm ones way in life without backing of any substance. If you ask me, O fits like a hand in a glove. But then I read a lot of ‘stuff’ and the only measurable gain I have ever gotten is filling in crossword puzzle answers. LOL

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM

jeanie on August 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM

It does fit as do the definitions of a narcissist!

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM

He must think the American people are too dumb to see this is a lie. And with still 50% popularity, maybe he’s right for 50%. But like the lady said yesterday in Spectre’s [sic], town hall meeting, “You’ve awakened the sleeping giant!”

Christian Conservative on August 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM

He is not promoting a single payer plan simply because he knows that a public option is the only way to get a foot in the door for a single payer system later. Slam the the door folks because there is no turning back.

Was that an interesting slip of the tough when he said “government is the only person”?

drjeep on August 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM

uhhhhhhhhhh, uhhhhhhhh, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, anybody know if there is a running count of lies since he took office?

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on August 12, 2009 at 12:27 PM

here’s a little something

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on August 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM

OK we should no longer refer this as Obamacare – It should be called ObamaNoCare. He makes me absolutely sick with the lies he tells. Do you all think he thinks we are that stupid?

Grace2753 on August 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Hannity covered this briefly on his show today.

QUOTE: Obama Says Grandmother’s Hip Replacement Raises Cost Questions

April 29 (Bloomberg) –

President Barack Obama said his grandmother’s hip-replacement surgery during the final weeks of her life made him wonder whether expensive procedures for the terminally ill reflect a “sustainable model” for health care.

The president’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, had a hip replaced after she was diagnosed with cancer, Obama said in an interview with the New York Times magazine that was published today.

Dunham, who lived in Honolulu, died at the age of 86 on Nov. 2, 2008, two days before her grandson’s election victory.

“I don’t know how much that hip replacement cost,” Obama said in the interview. “I would have paid out of pocket for that hip replacement just because she’s my grandmother.”

Obama said “you just get into some very difficult moral issues” when considering whether “to give my grandmother, or everybody else’s aging grandparents or parents, a hip replacement when they’re terminally ill.

“That’s where I think you just get into some very difficult moral issues,” he said in the April 14 interview. “The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health- care bill out here.”

Obama promised during his presidential campaign that a health-care overhaul would be a top priority, and he said at a Missouri town hall meeting today that he hopes Congress will pass health-care legislation this year.

The issue has been divisive, and finding an answer that will keep costs down while extending coverage to the estimated 46 million Americans without health insurance has eluded past presidents.

‘Ruthless Pragmatism’ ((See meaning below))

Obama also said his economic advisers *aren’t constrained by ideology* or connections to former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin.

“What I’ve been constantly searching for is a *ruthless pragmatism* ((Ruthless; adjective: Unscrupulous; Lacking scruples or principles, conscienceless, unethical.))
((Pragmatism; 1 The theory developed by Pierce and James that the meaning of a proposition or course of actions lies in its observable consequences. (2) A method or tendency in the conduct of political affairs characterized by the rejection of theory and precedent, and by the use of practial means and expedients.)) when it comes to economic policy,” he said, in the interview. ((Oh really??))

I don’t know what to think about Ruthless Pragmatism??

RoxanneH on August 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM

well I sent both youtube links to flag@whitehouse.gov to help them weed out people spreading disinformation about the President’s plan for health care.

For some reason I’m not expecting them to explain the discrepancy to me as is the supposed intention of that e-mail address. I’ll wait and see.

MannyT-vA on August 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM