Video: Speaking of mean signs …

posted at 6:52 pm on August 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, Barack Obama made sure to call on a teenage girl who decried the use of “mean signs” at townhall forums, allowing Obama to amplify a fine whine coming from Democrats during the debate over ObamaCare. John Dingell compared his constituents to the KKK while Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer called opponents “un-American” for their vocal opposition to the health-care reform bill that creates a government takeover of the entire industry. Evan Coyne Maloney brings us this flashback to January 2005, a simpler, more gentle time in political protests … or maybe not:

A couple of points. First, it’s great to see people criticize Bush for spending $40 million on his second inauguration in the middle of a “recession” (actually, we had already recovered from a recession and had begun rapid economic growth more than a year earlier). Barack Obama spent $170 million during one of the worst economic periods since the Great Depression on his inauguration. The protesters in 2005 openly spouted conspiracy theories about Bush’s legitimacy. Some of them talked openly about revolution, which sounds a lot more un-American than people wanting government out of their health care.

And note those nice Nazi swastikas. They make several appearances in this seven-minute video, on more than one sign. Those were the days ….

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Speaking of other mean signs: “Less Obscure Obama Batman Villain Posters Appear on City Streets” http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/08/less-obscure-obama-batman-villain.html

Mervis Winter on August 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM

The diff is that Bush was not once, ever, trying to turn America into a nation where the State is supreme over the people.

Obama is. So, yes, it’s safe and fair to compare Obama to a Nazi. What is that tip-line about? What about the devaluation of citizens opposed to Obama’s ideas by Pelosi, et. al.?

Bush never did that, Cheney never tried that, and no one else in the previous Administration went so far as to suggest it.

I won’t dare you to present evidence because you know what I’m saying is true. You won’t admit that, of course, because your last argument will fall over and sink into mud if you thought past talking points.

Maybe if you read more Dem talking points and other ideas, you might be able to claim having ideas.

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Its all in perspective and who is peering through what lenses.

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I imagine you have never seen Obama’s haughty look, and that evil eye he gives when challenged.

Or, basically, the MSM holding him up as some kind of savior. Since when have you seen a news reporter BOW to the president of the United States?

I’m 51 years old and remember JFK. Not even Cronkite bowed to the President. No American ever did, just as the US flag dips to no person or nation.

WE didn’t get the notion by ourselves this guy is a messiah. Dems and the MSM presented him in that light. We call him ‘messiah’ in all sarcasm, based on what is presented to us. We just refuse to bow to it, and mock it.

Get a clue for once! Think, will you? Or, better, ad most libs like to think, gain enlightenment!

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I’m sorry I’ve see him giving any evil eyes or “haughty” looks and I didn’t witness a news reporter bowing to him so I cannot comment on that.

But I guess if you hate his guts you will always see evil eyes and haughty looks. Just like people who thought Bush was dumb always said he had that “duuuhhrrr” look on his face.

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM

that should be “I’ve never seen…”

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM

You just shot down your own case, I hope you know.

But I didn’t ask for a website from you. I asked for a dialogue with you, to discuss ideas as we see them from differing sides.

But you can’t do that, can you? I won’t dish to you propaganda or talking points. I run from what I personally believe and can defend what I believe and why.

You can’t. Instead you send me to a webpage that I did take time to read.

That is the diff between liberals and conservatives. I can speak to my opinion without a webpage. You showed you can’t.

As a conservative, I’m willing to have a confluence of minds. You, to me, have shown you’re incapable of such. I offered time and thought, seeking to truly talk with you but you want none of that. And who knows? You might have persuaded me to your ideas.

Thank you for proving my point about liberals. If we meet in person, I’ll be more than happy to buy you a shot of Chivas Royal Salute for being so honest though honesty and rising to my challenge was light years away from you’re presently able to manage.

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Regarding your last post, look around. Those images are around and about, and sometimes posted here.

Open your mind, expand your consciousness, and you will see. Later, when I run across on, I’ll sen you the URL.

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Democrats have the memory of a goldfish.

Scrappy on August 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM

From “Little Plastic Castles;”

‘They say goldfish have no memory
I guess their lives are much like mine
And the little plastic castle
Is a surprise every time
And it’s hard to say if they’re happy
But they don’t seem much to mind’

massrighty on August 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM

If you take a snap shot or catch a facial expression on anyone you can catch them doing something that can be taken out of context.

See, he has to be a dumb chimp because he makes facial expressions just like them.

Or was he just talking and some idiot got a freeze frame of him in the middle of a facial transition?

Its ridiculous

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Using the swastika toward Obama is stupid now just as it was stupid when people used it toward Bush. It shows amazing ignorance.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Provide a link, where there are people “using the swastika toward Obama.”

Specifically, in the way you meant it; not some lefty equivalence argument, where “this” is the same as “that.”

Do it now.
Or, stop posting unsupportable lies.

massrighty on August 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM

You’re reaching, and being fallacious, offering a syllogism. There are many instances recorded of Obama’s dark looks at other people, at different times and various events.

There aren’t excuses, Magnus. I’m alive 51 years and never have I seen a previous president look at other people the way Obama does. JFK is arguably the most-adored president this country ever had, and never once did I see him scowl like Obama has done. Not even Reagan gave such a look. And I assure, had Reagan ever appeared contemptuous at anyone, the image would still be all over the media after all these years.

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM

But YET you then do the same thing. You hang effigies, cry that you got beat up but hired thugs, claim people “hired” by the government drove by your houses to threaten you in the middle of the night, march around posters with swastikas and talk of fascism and Obama with a Hitler mustache waving around your gun rights and calling for bloodshed and civil war. And of course the Left falls into their role, now calling you un-American and un-patriotic and are just as baffled by the anger.

I’m convinced both sides just get selective amnesia about they’re behaviors and reactions or delude themselves that they aren’t two sides of the same damn coin. It is extremely frustrating and dishonest.

And you can’t fathom why someone might want to be an independent or moderate can you?

Your all the same.

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM

No, “we” are NOT “all the same.”

Within the broad spectrum of people who identify themselves as conservatives, there are a few who are more extreme.

But the main body of conservatives decry them as extremists, and try to convince others, with reason and logic, of the correctness of our viewpoint.

The left, on the other hand, embraces the crazies, and makes them (often) the centerpiece of their criticism.

Is there a conservative equivalent of Code Pink?
Do conservatives throw pies in the faces of liberal speakers on college campi?
Air America radio hosts (*not callers) celebrated the day that there was a failed terrorist attack on a site where Dick Cheney was speaking in Afghanistan; stating that they were sorry they missed in executing the attack.

Your insistence on making an equivalency argument, without compelling evidence, indicates the weakness of your argument.

massrighty on August 11, 2009 at 9:52 PM

To close, Magnus:

You keep posting websites in place of discussion of ideas. I think we’re done, now. I can make argument on merits of a topic but you seem, in my view, to propagandize. Really, it appears that if you didn’t have talking points you’s have no points to make at all.

Be a slave to the government, if that suits you. Pay taxes from your hard-earned money to cover strangers, if you wish. Sell all you have and give your money to the poor, if that eases what guilt you might have in your head. (nevermind–that’s a Christian ideal)

Be whatever you want, as the Constitution allows. That’s your liberty, which I want you to have.

But don’t you DARE try dragging me down or stealing MY liberty to win what you desire. Do your own thing, be as delusional as you wish. But keep me out of it. I’m no longer in the USAF so I don’t give a flying F what you do. But I care what happens to ME.

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Ahh. Moral equivalence, thy name is Dave.

applebutter on August 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I said both uses were wrong, dumba$$.

Dave Rywall on August 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Gee, Mister Rywall, I think maybe that’s what makes in an equivalence, mooncalf.

applebutter on August 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM

To close, Magnus:

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:56 PM

erm, you asked for proof of Bush’s so called facism(so I provided you a link of what was perceived as Bush’s so called facism). And uhmm, you said you were going to post a “link” regarding Obama and his “evil eye” (which you didn’t do and to which I don’t know what your talking about because I have no seen this mysterious “evil eye” partially because my perception of him isn’t of evil) In response, I posted a link to showcase Bush’s dumb chimp look (to explain my point that anyone can make anyone appear in the context they wish as they left did by using his facial expressions to proof their perception of him that he was dumb).

And the rest of your post makes no sense. I don’t know what the Air Force, slavery ,and selling my material items has to do with the fact that the left and the right walk down parallel roads on the same path.

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Not to worry, the hypocrisy doesn’t bother them in the least.

GarandFan on August 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM

What, no hat tip, Ed?

:-)

Good Lt on August 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Yes, we are in agreement.

“pseudo-intellectual moonbat mode” is me saying that’s what moonbats with crappy professors (likely apologists for Communism) and an inability to read primary sources would argue about the relationship of fascism and socialism.

venividivici on August 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Dang! Two for two. Maybe Rywall is right; maybe I am a dumba$$.

I just thought you were climbing down off your high horse.

applebutter on August 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I knew she was a setup, no normal 13y/o would ever do what she did unless her parents had warped her brain or paid her. They really do think the American people are stupid.

Frances on August 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM

This is “the rest of his post.”

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:56 PM

What part of this makes no sense?
This is a statement of basic conservatism.
1. Do what you want.
2. Leave me alone.

How do you not see that?

massrighty on August 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM

This is “the rest of his post.”

Liam on August 11, 2009 at 9:56 PM

What part of this makes no sense?
This is a statement of basic conservatism.
1. Do what you want.
2. Leave me alone.

How do you not see that?

massrighty on August 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

you are just re- quoting what I’m referring to. What does that have to do with the fact both conservatives and liberals are hypocrites?

Magnus on August 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

These dumbasses overplayed their hand with the little girl plant. If I had even the tiniest doubt this entire thing wasn’t staged, it was erased with the little girl plant. Are we really supposed to believe the average tween is giving something as dry as health care much thought? Like she isn’t more concerned with scoring tickets to see the Jonas Brothers and which pair of designer jeans she’s going to wear on the first day of school? Please. This girl’s mother ought to be ashamed to be using her kid this way. I know it’s unlikely given they live in Massachusetts, but I hope little Julia grows up to be a gun-toting, Bible-clinging, flag-waving conservative and gives her mother a giant ulcer as a result.

I don’t know why they even bother to pretend anymore like these things are genuine. Just call it what it is: an hard-sell infomercial.

NoLeftTurn on August 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

You want to talk about “mean signs”? Let me tell you about when I lived in DC. A bus ran from Walter Reed Army hospital to the Bethesda Naval Hospital daily for various servicemen who needed treatment there.

For me, the defining moment for liberals came when I watched loyal Democrats line up outside Walter Reed waiting for that bus to return, so they could wave signs saying “YOU WERE MAIMED FOR A LIE” at it, among other unspeakably vile things.

It was the one and only time I’ve ever had to restrain myself from driving my car into a crowd. Democrats used to be people who simply had a different point of view, and you still had wealthy Dems like JFK who actually served in uniform. Modern Dems are self-serving, self-righteous, obsessed with power, and absolutely beneath contempt.

commenter on August 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Here’s a ‘mean’ sign that I photoshopped shortly after Dear Leader’s coronation:

justltl on August 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM

hey, how appropriate. my wife and i talked last night about this post’s topic. we find it infuriating that the way they handled Bush back a few years ago is swept under the rug, and when right wingers do it then it becomes an act of treason. we need more of this topic exposed, as i am sure you all feel. HotAir is getting national exposure, maybe (**gasp) a larger outlet could really break this type of story (and I don’t mean just USA Today’s attempt…)

sorry for the long, long delay in ever posting, but i’m finding my online voice, and ready to use it here!

righthanddrive on August 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning.

KJW on August 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM