The obligatory “Meghan McCain dumps on Michelle” post

posted at 8:30 pm on August 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

I was going to save this for quote of the day but the boss deserves a defense.

So Michelle Malkin successfully rounds out the trifecta of extreme female conservative pundits, following Laura Ingraham and Ann Coulter, who believe that I, and Republicans like me, need to shut up and get out of the party. Is this surprising? Not really, given my father’s complicated history with the extreme right of the GOP. But what confuses me is this: Malkin recently posted an item on her blog about how “drowning out opposing views is simply un-American.”…

I don’t know exactly what about me threatens them so much, other than that people are listening to me. Malkin has the No. 1 book on The New York Times bestseller hardcover nonfiction list, but I have nearly twice as many Twitter followers as she does. And trust me, Twitter is more of an indication of where young people are than books published by the hyper-conservative publisher Regnery—which will be bringing you Carrie Prejean’s new book and published one of Ann Coulter’s.

There is a place for the far right in this party, Malkin included, and I respect their right to be heard. But the Republican Party will continue to lose elections unless we start reaching out in a more effective way to people my age and to moderates. Barack Obama won the last election on the slogan “Yes We Can,” and there is no reason why Republicans can’t go forth and win elections with equally positive messages. We will not get anywhere by continuing to sell hate and fear. Of course, there is always going to be a fraction of the GOP that is going to respond to that, but at some point we have to start facing the reality that hate and fear will only get us so far. Those emotions are not sources for inspiration of joining anything, let alone supporting a political party.

Laying aside (a) the glaring error of imputing Pelosi’s quote about un-American activity to Michelle, who was quoting her ironically, (b) the arbitrary assumption that Twitter followers are a fair gauge of influence among younger voters, and (c) the lingering question of why MegMac would want to be part of any party that contains a wing she perceives as being devoted to “hate and fear,” this whole line of attack demonstrates how fundamentally she misunderstands why so many “far right” Republicans don’t like her. As I think I’ve said before, McCain’s really no further towards the center than I am; she supports gay marriage, as do I, and she’s conventional on most other core conservative issues (guns, abortion, religion). And yet the base hates her while they, errrrr, tolerate me. Why is that? If the “old guard” of right-wingers is so retrograde, how does a wayward atheist like me end up co-blogging at one of the biggest righty blogs in America? Simple answer: I spend most of my time challenging the left while Meggie Mac spends hers challenging the right, so I have a certain baseline credibility on our side that she has yet to establish. And why would anyone listen to criticism of their own side from someone who doesn’t (yet) have credibility? I tried to explain that to her, both here and on Twitter, but the message simply hasn’t taken — the proof of which is the fact that she’s now tangled with Coulter, Ingraham, and the boss in high-profile fashion and has yet to tangle (as far as I know) with anyone of similar prominence on the left. All the vitriol spilled this week by the Democrats about health-care protesters, all the demagoguery directed at her fellow conservatives, and the thing that sticks in her craw the most is … Michelle taking a one-line shot at her during a public chat?

Which reminds me: I can’t find the transcript, but from what I can recall, MM didn’t say she should leave the party or even that she should shut up. What she said was that Meghan was someone she’d like to hear “less” from, i.e. that she’s overexposed. I leave you to judge whether she’s right. Exit question: If Michelle’s so “far right” and all about “drowning out” voices that sometimes disagree her, how’d Ed and I last this long at Hot Air?

Update: Predictably, Meghan’s column is the number-one story on MSNBC’s hour of DNC propaganda power tonight.

Comments

There’s a little known book out that on the cover has a picture of a bare midriff with a silver stud attached to the navel. The book’s premise is that “Today’s young americans are more confident, assertive, entitled – and more miserable than ever before”.

It softly slimes GenX – those of use that grew up under Reagen – and in the end the PhD author (who says the book grew out of her thesis) offers the following pablum for the discontented: go out and volunteer.

I’d like to point out to the “professor” that the only way to ‘volunteer’ is if you have don’t need a job.

I remember receiving my Bachelors of Science degree in Political Science (affectionately referred ever after as my BS in PS) from ASU, the college that is in Senator McCain’s state. I walked into the career center and was told I could possibly ‘intern’ if there was a position and I wanted to go into government service.

Here I was with over $30k in student loans and I was told that my degree was only good for an unpaid position with the government.

That told me all I needed to know about my degree: It was WORTHLESS. I could go bag groceries at the food store and make more money.
So for Meghan McCain to go around barfing out every thought in her grey matter as if it were coming from Mt. Olympus is just about right for this generation. Excuse me if I don’t give a sh*t. Now I’m a fair person so here’s the deal: if she went to the bank, got a loan without a cosigner, started a company, negotiated a lease, went through the labyrinth of a political correct interviewing process to hire her staff, met payroll by supplying a service or product that people wanted and at the end of 12 months actually made a profit after taxes. THEN, Meghan McCain can talk the talk and walk the walk and I’ll listen to her opinions and weigh them for validity.
Until then…..SHUT THE HELL UP ms. silverspoon.

athenadelphi on August 12, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I’d like to thank Meghan McCain for her willingness to allow that there is a place in the republican party for the “far right”.

I’d like to thank Meghan McCain for her political savvy: That to win elections, the republican party needs to ‘reach out’ to her generation (of whiners who run to mom and dad for their car, their cell phones, their apartment rent, etc.)

I’d also like to thank Meghan McCain for sharing with us the notion that fear drives away people from elections and that hope is what her generation really wants to vote for.

How about a candidate the promises jobs by cutting taxes on small businesses? That’s hope – hope that Meghan McCain can find a job to pay the bills…oops, that’s right, she doesn’t need to find a job and neither do the others of the “me generation” because they’re all living on mommy and daddy’s dime.

Ugh.
This is a problem for the republican party.
This generation is used to having things given to them for free.
Oh, wait, that would mean she’s really going for the democrats philosophy of having someone else pay for her wants.

athenadelphi on August 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Isn’t there at least one Islamic Fascist Prince out there somewhere in saudi arabia or the UAE who wants to marry a slightly obese bleached blond twinkie snarfing fatty princess with a trust fund and no experience doing anything but living off dada like oh i don’t know…Mehgan McCain?

BillaryMcBush on August 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Aww…poor thing, she’s still talking like people are actually listening. How cute…

Oh my bad…forgot to count Twitter. *rolls eyes*

NuMu350 on August 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

If Meghan wants to be twitter Queen, fine. All I ask is that she keeps her rants about MM or anyone else to 160 characters or less. Not just on twitter, but in all media. Thanks, Megan!

joejm65 on August 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Meghan McCain = Courtney Love

And a fine example of why most women should not be allowed to vote.

Worthy exceptions include, Malkin, Coulter, Ingraham, Schlessinger, Palin and most of the right side lady bloggers.

esblowfeld on August 12, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Quiz time kiddies…

Match up the following initials with the correct political personality. Megan McCain or Michelle Malkin
Clue: R=Republican C=Conservative

MM=Twit(R)
MM=Fox(C)

chickasaw42 on August 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I can’t comment on the above link. That can’t be true from her book can it? Really – McCain wouldn’t have been that stupid would he?

That whole family – strange

Thank goodness for the witch from Wasilla.

gophergirl on August 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Meghan McCain is typically misunderstood because she still hasn’t learned to not talk with her mouth full.

viking01 on August 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM

The obligatory “Meghan McCain dumps on Michelle” post

I have to be honest here, I think it is nice that they kissed and made up, but going from hating each other to scat is just a little disgusting for my personal taste.

LevStrauss on August 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM

The Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!
Like father like daughter!
I could care less how many twits this insolent, petulent, spoiled ass rich kid has! Go to school, get an education, lose 60 or70 ponnds come back in 15 -20 years when you might possibly have some vague idea what life is about! Oh and quit bashing the right and try to take a look at the socialists tryin to take this country over! Idiot!

dhunter on August 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

There’s no such thing as “far right” or any other kind of hyphenated “right.” It’s just “right.”(see dictionary def.)

We’re right, they’re wrong!(Meghan included)

godsense on August 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Is this a serious book or a collection of the delusional ramblings of someone becoming increasingly irrelevant, not to say she ever was other than in her own mind.

TheAudacityofNOPE on August 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I thank Sen McCain for his service. I don’t thank him for his wishy washy approach to being a Republican. He and Lindsey Graham are two of a kind. Like dhunter said the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. They are all a bitter disappointment to the Conservatives and Republicans.

shawno on August 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM

“Hate and Fear” – is that what Meggy and the rest of the leftie liberals think conservatives live by? I wonder what exactly that ‘hate’ and ‘fear’ consists of?

Well, I for one ‘hate’ liars, thieves, murderers, unfair, mean, rude/hateful people, hypocrites, arrogant people, child molesters/killers; I despise those who live off my tax dollars but pay NO taxes or work themselves (i.e., the lazy, the welfare queens with numerous kids by numerous men, the drunks/drug addicts, those who have lived and passed onto THEIR offspring the ‘right’ to live off the government – the tax payers’ backs!).

And I ‘fear’ God’s wrath so I try to live accordingly. I ‘fear’ for the safety and morality of our country; I ‘fear’ that our individual freedoms could be taken away by those who hate the idea of ‘freedom’ and who love ‘control and power’. And, I ‘fear’ everything that I ‘hate’ that I listed above – because these type people REALLY DO live among us and one way or another, they WILL bring down or make life harder for the rational, hard working people who DO ‘hate’ and ‘fear’ things.

So Meggy and the ‘others’ think we should just skip merrily along our way and not ‘fear/hate’ anything???? I guess liberals didn’t HATE Bush or try to turn the public away from Bush by using scare, FEAR tactics. Just like Obama did and SAID in his campaign meetings about the repubs/conservatiaves: “they’ll try to SCARE you” (into thinking he is a scary person…well, he IS!!!)

brendy on August 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM

By the way, I’m thinking John will call his daughter (if he hasn’t already) and go “You know, I’m planning on being re-elected next year, so would you do me a favor and take a vacation to Ibiza for a couple years, would you, dear?…”

ChristianRock on August 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM

***

Actually, I think McCain would tell Meggy to keep on speaking out ’cause he’s gonna run on the democratic ticket next time!

brendy on August 12, 2009 at 10:49 PM

You know what everybody, Meghan McCain just convinced me that she’s right! The GOP needs to reach out to young people my age! We need to reach out to women, Hispanics, Asians, Unions, Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Tigers and Lions and Bears Oh My! And we also have to be more Civil, Bipartisan, Maybe Totalitarian to be sure we include everybody. When the Left or the Middle speaks we have to wear a muzzle, b/c we can’t offend anyone if we respond! We also need more abortion, never mind the baby killing folks. Now because we’ll have fewer babies that could have been born, we need more immigration. We need to import more than the current 1.5 million legal and illegal every year. Let’s go with 10 million per year. We also have to have more than the current 2 languages, we need 31 languages like Baskin/Robbins Ice Cream. The GOP can allow a Borders book store, but not Borders for the USA, that’ll offend non-Americans. We need National park service guides to guide illegals here after they invade. We need Cap and Trade, More Welfare Programs and We Cannot TORTURE! Now, I’m convinced if the GOP does these things, we’ll win election after election. Never mind the fact that all this crap was tried by both George Bushes and McCain when they ran and it got them absolutely nowhere! You want the GOP to win elections? Quit the pandering, get rid of the Identity Politics. Talk to everybody the same regardless of race and sex. Young people vote Republican when they mature. Immigrants vote for the GOP when they assimilate. That only happens when the Numbers are cut and assimilation is promoted, along with English! The Moderates are people who have no solid positions on anything, their sheep who will follow a leader. To base an entire campaign on Moderates is ridiculous! Gin up the base, and Moderates will come to you! An effective politician doesn’t move towards the center, an effective politician moves the center towards them!

Humphrey007 on August 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I’m sorry as a newbie & an Arizonian I don;t quit get the whole Megan McCain fascination. I mean I hear the last name McCain and anything after that just sounds like”…blah blah blah…my friend… blah blah…comprehensive immigration reform… blah blah blah…”. Anyone from the Copper State will understand.

Col.Smeag on August 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Meghan McCain’s opinions are not the reason that she is so hated by the right- in fact, we agree with many of them. The problem is, despite her opinions, she identifies herself more closely with the PEOPLE on the left by spouting her disdain for the people on the right. This is kind of the opposite of Sarah Palin- conservatives’ support for her stems not just from agreeing with her opinions, but from a feeling that she is truly “one of us”.

red26 on August 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM

It is amazing to me that this empty headed neophyte gets this much attention or that anybody bothers to engage her. She has no experience, no relevance, and certainly does not possess the credibility to say what the Republican party should and should not be.
As to the ‘reachiing out to young people’, what exactly does that mean? Should the Republican party develop and X-Box 360 game called ‘Democrat Smackdown 2010?’, or and i-Phone app that locates the nearest club tie store?
Reagan didn’t reach out to anybody other than all Americans with a clear and bold message that everyone could understand; Taxes are too high, Government is too big, and Communism is evil. This message cut across all income and race barriers, people flocked to it in droves, and Reagan won two huge electoral landslides.
There was no big tent, just a big bright light of a message. People were attracted to it like bugs to a light in your backyard. That’s what is needed, a clear Conservative message – not ‘reaching out’, i.e. trying to be everything to everyone.
Further, I don’t believe that she represents the majority of young people. I’ve raised 3 kids, 2 college grads and one about to start and they are more Conservative than am I – and so are their friends. There is hope for the future in Conservatism.

omb on August 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM