Matthews to Obama protester: Why’d you bring a loaded gun to a town hall with the president?

posted at 7:42 pm on August 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Good question, especially given the sign this guy was carrying. Considering the lengths to which the Secret Service normally goes to investigate threats against the president, I’m amazed he wasn’t hauled in for questioning at the scene as a potential threat. People are going to beat the Second Amendment drum in the comments, but (a) I doubt it would have sat well with our readers if lefties carrying Bushitler signs had shown up to Dubya’s events packing heat and (b) having a right doesn’t mean you’re obliged to exercise it, particularly in circumstances where it would be provocative to do so. I’ve knocked atheist groups for suing for the right to display a “Darwin tree” or whatever on public grounds next to a Christmas tree, not because they’re not entitled but because they’re being spiteful, incendiary douchebags by doing so. How is Captain Sidearm here any different?

The worst part? According to a new book about the Secret Service, the number of daily threats against Obama is already four times the number Bush faced. Every pair of eyes diverted to watch this tool make his point about liberty is a pair that’s not watching the rest of the crowd.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13

Conservative Voice on August 12, 2009 at 6:03 PM

exactly!

I see a guy carrying openly my first thought isn’t “OH MY GOD A GUN!” it’s manufacturer/caliber/holster maker.

a regular event here in NH is every time the anti-war crowd hold a rally there is an “open carry clean up” afterwards. people, carrying firearms openly, clean up the mess the hippies leave behind. we don’t have to do it after our events..we clean up after ourselves.

the park maintenance people love it, and so do the local and state cops. hell, most of the cops are coming over and asking us about holster manufacturers because the ones they are issued aren’t very good.

I’m sure you can find the events on youtube if you search.

oh and BTW the worst thing the bad guys could come up with yesterday was “you watch fox! you watch fox!”

in respose, we had “live free or die! live free or die!”

General Stark would have been proud.

warhorse_03826 on August 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM

besides, the president was never in any danger. even the motorcade was a decoy.

he came in the back door of the school in a U-HAUL.

no, I’m not making it up.

warhorse_03826 on August 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Thanks dude, I am at a point in my life where I need a little chuckle.

I can just picture the Ad on the outside of the trailer

“Rent this for $19.99 and haul away your trash”

bullseye on August 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Matthews wants to demonize the protesters as much as possible, and he found himself a victim. This gun owner did nothing wrong. He wasn’t a threat. He was simply carrying to protect himself. I rarely disagree with AllahPundit, but this time I do.

jediwebdude on August 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Can the left do anything BUT argue by straw man?

Clearly man represents all the frightened senior citizens.

Clearly…

jhffmn on August 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Glenn Beck mentioned that they are trying to plant seeds that tea party goers are CRAZY gun toting irresponsible nut jobs…so that if there is ever a scuffle, they can move against us.

Again, we must unite for our freedoms…this citizen did nothing wrong. You may think he was irresponsible…but I am sure you think everyone who doesn’t wear their seatbelt should be fined and be relegated as CRAZY.

Remember, their play book is to divide us…fight back by standing together.

Conservative Voice on August 12, 2009 at 6:55 PM

GTL libs HATE anything American ,Guns, free speach, property rights and living free. real Americans are slated for destruction by the scum you would have us, “real Americans,” kow tow to. the SRM and libs don’t give a flying frig about rights,closeted or out in the right. you and me are obsolete.no terminated with extreme prejudice, whether packing in plain sight or not.they HATE us and our Americanism….. get it, period… … nothing we ,”real AMERICANS” as compared to hyphenated ,can do is ever going to assuage their HATRED,their FEAR and LOATHING except disappear. THE last person I eff with won’t have a Gun , sixshooter,pistol,side arm,revolver,HAND GUN or piece on his or her side.I’ll eff with the one who doesn’t.snark. THEY will villify …….period….

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM

oh I forgot ,SMOKE WAGON!

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Dear Lord this guy does not help any of his supposed arguments. Could he be a plant? I know there are actual nutbars out there but even they usually realize stuff like this is a bad idea. The only explaination that I can figure is some D side astroturf, exepting of course insanity.

whig33 on August 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Hmmm…douchebag vs. douchebag. Very worthwhile television. Gun-toting moron vs. idiot who wants to link said moron to the birther crowd. Almost as good as Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant, except that the WWF required a lot less suspension of disbelief.

Thanks for elevating the debate, MSNBC!

CatsGodot on August 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM

warhorse_03826 on August 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM

My first thought when I see someone open carrying is “There is a free man/woman.”

JohnGalt23 on August 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I doubt it would have sat well with our readers if lefties . . . had shown up to Dubya’s events packing heat

Oh please, lefties don’t pack heat. They hire body guards to carry for them and push laws banning lawful gun owners rights.

Mangy Scot on August 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Well Rats! I just posted over on “general blowback” before I was aware of this thread………….regarding Chris Matthews and his ilk I had to wonder:

I just want to know what magic brand of television make up lipstick these sycophants use that will cover up Presidential fecal stains on their lips??

Katfish on August 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM

GTL 1 basic handgun rule treat it like it’s loaded . the man didn’t help or hurt anything. he exorcised a Right. they’re going to Try to take your and my GUNS anyway. I say Phuck em anyway. Lock and Load. molon labe.

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Well,

There is no law that states you cannot carry around certain individuals.
There are laws, depending on the state that prohibit carrying in certain places, hospitals, bars, churches, large sporting venues, to name a few.
Really, if the guy is, and apparently he is, legal then its not a big deal.
Just a lot of smoke to cover up the real issues and provide cover for yet another stellar preformance by the one.
I used to carry 24/7 and really you forget your carrying, not as in I did nt realizew I have a gun but as in like your car keys and wallet.

Kellyboy31 on August 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

From the Telegraph article:

Mr Obama, whose Secret Service codename is Renegade,…

Well, not any more!!!
Idiots.

Mary in LA on August 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM

joe biggs there are alot of .45′s but ther’es nothing like an m1911a1.

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM

joe blobbs then i read more .no kindred spirit.

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I am not surprised by CM’s abusive tone…he is a real @ss clown. I am just amazed at the lengths the libs will go to create a crisis about everything!

shawno on August 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM

LOl… okay, after listening to the whole interview, it’s Matthews (IMO) who’s sounding like the maniac and loose cannon.

He’s trying so hard to demonize someone, he’s sounding like a crackpot himself. Notice that it’s Matthews who’s making all the accusations and claims, stuff that he can’t back up in his own questions…. (in fact, sounded like the guy was ready to school Matthews on the income tax blurb.. and Matthews wouldn’t let him answer).

DaSaintFan on August 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I see there are already 13 pages of comments and I only read one, so I apologize if I am repeating anything.

It was interesting that Mathews tried to connect fact that he had a loaded! gun to the assumption that people with guns suddenly become violent and kill. This law abiding citizen handled it very well and we all should be armed. I know I am.

jzzr83 on August 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM

joe badazz stfu. lets roll your mommas fat azz over and see if your good twin is still stuck.

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM

gtl common sense would keep you from screaming anything at anybody . but I see you have none. COMMON SENSE,tht is.

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM

It should be considered that just like politicians pander to the largest audience to ensure their re-election, media figure heads will pander to their largest audience as well. For Mathews, he thought he struck gold by having a ‘nutty conservative’ on his show to reinforce his viewership’s stereotypes of your standard ‘wing-nut’. I think we let him down by proving that we are much more informed and seemingly educated on the issues facing our country today. Too bad Chrissy didn’t get his ‘wing-nut’

Fishy.Gov on August 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM

joe biggass momma the commies, in vietnam,lost. the commies in America won. you WON why do you whine so voiceferously.

huckelberry on August 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM

To defend against Zero’s union thugs?

viking01 on August 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Just remember, in our history it has never been the “crazy right-wing” lunatics that go for assn. of a US President, it has always been the extremely liberal left crazies! Just ask Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, and Kennedy. One of those undeniable facts.. kind of like the Republicans freed the slaves… but hey, who is keeping track?

Am4Constitution on August 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

@Fishy.Gov: “The gentleman on the show IS a typical conservative, liberals need to understand that he IS WHO WE ARE!”

Amen. And he was smart enough to not get sidetracked by the typical bullshit talking points that Matthews brought up.

popularpeoplesfront on August 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Any Texans in?

This is Felicia Cravens, head of the Houston tea party group. They are planning on a bus convoy to Austin on Sept. 5 and are looking for some Harley riders to be part of it.

September 5th Texas Tea Party

Katfish on August 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Chris Matthews demonstrated that he is a hyperventilating, loud talking (shouting), arrogant, condescending, irritating loudmouth.

William Costrick clearly handled himself very well, and addressed all of Chris Matthews attempted “Gotcha!” battery of questions.

Costrick won the day, demonstrating that he was more than adequately knowledgeable about the issues and the facts, more so than Matthews.

Matthews attempts several straw man arguments, red herrings, etc., such as trying to “Catch” William Costrick regarding the “Birther” concept. William Costrick did not fall for it. Matthews failed on that one as well.

Good work, William, another foul, malevolent “interview” perpetrated by Matthews.

By the way, Matthews spewed anger and condescension regarding William carrying his “Goddamn gun.”

He literally attacked William, just like the Bully that Matthews i.

Regarding carrying a gun to the event, as we have seen, Obama’s Union goons have been cracking heads, kicking in ribs, knocking people to the ground, typical left wing, Obama supporting, union thuggery. William, and anyone else who brings a gun to these events, will be better able to protect themselves, their families, and other attendees against the thuggish SEIU nuts, and others.

William2006 on August 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM

The mere fact that someone was carrying a gun openly or even concealed does not bother me in the least. I do not fear those who are legally armed. If he was carrying to make a statement though, he became a distraction from the reason people were gathering and succeeded in moving the debate to another topic.

Bill R. on August 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I find it interesting that every1 here has forgotten that Ronald Reagan himself said “there is no reason why anyone should be able to carry a loaded gun in public” as governor of california.

in fact he passed a law against it

TruUSA on August 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Clearly Chrisy (Mr. leg thrill) wasn’t getting the responses he wanted from this man. Ok, I’m just going to keep throwing out incendiary questions until you say something radical to the right look crazy. The guy just wouldn’t take the bait. Seems to me that hiding your firearm indicates dastardly intent. Allahpundit’s wrong. If there’s a law that says you can carry a firearm and you’ve complied with the law, what is the problem? This fellow is right when he says we need to exercise our rights to keep from losing them.

Alfresco on August 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM