WH mega-shill: Obama didn’t have a different position on single-payer as a Senator

posted at 8:16 pm on August 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

He didn’t? Sure sounds like he did to Kurtz, who’s appropriately dismissive of her lame attempt at spin. The irony is, if our suspicions about ObamaCare as a trojan horse for socialized medicine are correct, then she’s actually right: The One does have the same goal now as he did then, namely, a single-payer system with private insurers ultimately driven from the marketplace. Riddle me this, though. If Obama really has soured on single-payer over the past five years, precisely why has he soured on it? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that explained, which makes me think he’s “soured” on it only insofar as he doesn’t — yet — have the political capital needed to push it through. It’s not that he’s opposed in principle, in other words, merely that it’s not expedient at this particular moment — which makes it an awful lot like his position on gay marriage, another subject where neither side believes he really believes what he claims to believe. In which case, why should we believe him about single-payer?

Kudos to Kurtz for at least noting that the media would be having an aneurysm over the Obama snitch list if Bush had done it; Douglass thankfully doesn’t contradict him, although she does go on to lie about the measure. See the second clip below from How the World Works for the goods on that. Exit question: Speaking of liberal journalists who’ve dropped the mask to become paid mouthpieces for The One, when is Sullivan finally going to take the plunge? Exposing the great Trig birth conspiracy would take on new urgency once it had the official White House imprimatur on it, no?

Comments

Obama: We have never been at war with Oceania.
Obama: We have always been at war with Oceania.

Obey, Citizen! Big Obama knows best. Obama’s support for single payer is now done the memory hole. Now Obama doesn’t support it and never has. Until he does again.

Tantor on August 9, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Works for me. But that SEIU thug clearly restricted that mans civil rights. The race name calling while assaulting him just moves it up to a hate crime.

Jeff from WI on August 9, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Those charges would be against the SEIU stooge but the “Hit back twice as hard” line that came out of the WH earlier that day was the match punk that lit the fuse

thomasaur on August 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM

RATED R!!! Proceed with caution.

Upstater85 on August 9, 2009 at 9:36 PM

hummm… Thanks (I think)

CCRWM on August 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM

hummm… Thanks (I think)

CCRWM on August 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Hope you’ll be able to sleep tonight.

Upstater85 on August 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM

hummm… Thanks (I think)

CCRWM on August 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Just wait until my husband calls me at 9 from the rig. I plan on shocking the [email protected] out of him.

TXMomof3 on August 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Obama was a Senator?

I must have missed that.

forest on August 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I know I did… I live in Illinois.

jana on August 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM

So now will this give new life to this story and force the media to call her blatant bluff? Or will they faithfully follow Obamas lead and this story is done and done.

When the lies get this obvious even THIS media has to call bull $hi+….. right?

Ampersand on August 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM

You know it does make me uneasy to know that this stuff goes on… sometimes ignorance is bliss…but I guess I’m not really shocked…I do live in L.A.

CCRWM on August 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM

When the lies get this obvious even THIS media has to call bull $hi+….. right?

Ampersand on August 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM

This has been going on for almost 2 years and they haven’t yet…this is as close as I’ve seen for the MSM excluding FoxNews

CCRWM on August 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM

CCRWM on August 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I grew up in a town of about 4,000 and married my high school boyfriend. Pretty sheltered, I guess. Think of all the education I receive from HotAir.

TXMomof3 on August 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM

“I’m really gratified to be a fascist propagandist.”

peacenprosperity on August 9, 2009 at 9:50 PM

By the way, even if this program is illegal top to bottom, the justice department will be too busy destroying the cia to charge anyone.

peacenprosperity on August 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM

—————————————————-

The Liberal Party is all about courting the special interest groups,and rights groups,and as AP has pointed
out the Gay Rights,but for Obama,as always its a means to
his ends,using each,and all groups strictly for their votes
and then throws them under the bus!

Its really,only a matter of time,for Obama to squander all of his political capital,in which,his administration will
emplode within!

Thats a CRISIS I look forward to watch,the Obama meltdown!

canopfor on August 9, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Liberal media IS the #1 enemy of our country. Problem for them is, the country is waking up.

Proud member of the mob.

MalindaH on August 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Answer: Linda Douglass

Question: The love child of Martha Stewart and Joseph Goebbels.

EZnSF on August 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Ìf you give people all the facts,they`ll become better informed!
————–

Ilsa(Linda Douglas)Mistress of Hopey/Changeys Propaganda
Ministry of All The Facts DisInformation Centre!

canopfor on August 9, 2009 at 10:02 PM

So was he lying then about supporting single-payer, is he lying now about never supporting it, or is he lying now about still supporting it?

TXMomof3, I also married my high school sweetheart, who happened to contribute to my being even less sheltered than I was. But with the Internet, we’re all now learning a lot more than we used to. And we can hope that federalism will be reduced to minimize D.C.’s damage to small towns.

HotWeaver on August 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I remember an America in which this kind of thing couldn’t have happened… (sigh).

Star20 on August 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM

HotWeaver on August 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM

My husband usually clues me in on things. Well, I hope my children are as sheltered as I have been.

TXMomof3 on August 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I’m only about 60 pages into Liberal Fascism and am finding it a fascinating history lesson. Thus far, I have said to myself, “this is Obama” at least four times. I am not saying that he is a fascist or a nazi or a marxist, but he sure did learn some neat tricks from the masters. Thuggery is just one of those tricks.

SKYFOX on August 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM

So the video showing Obama lying is an “attack” video, and his hack turned shill lying again, is a “response” video.

Johnson on August 9, 2009 at 10:14 PM

His clips are very heavily edited – Bernie Goldberg made the point that “[email protected]” would be 6-inch headlines above the fold in the NYT.
Just like he didn’t bother to show the “attack video” where the Zero states point blank he wants single-payor.

Marcus on August 9, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Clearly, I need to send more emails to Linda. Five a day just isn’t enough. If I forward all the spam and junk I get, I can bump that up to twenty easy.

SKYFOX on August 9, 2009 at 10:29 PM

“White House Requests People Email It ‘Fishy’ Health Care Claims; Servers Crash Under Onslaught of Video Clips Featuring President, Members of Congress”: http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/08/white-house-requests-people-email-it.html

Mervis Winter on August 9, 2009 at 10:31 PM

So what’s your point? Yes, we know his position has not changed. :-)

PrincipledPilgrim on August 9, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I am not saying that he is a fascist or a nazi or a marxist

I am.

The guy has a totalitarian streak in him a mile wide and its pretty obvious once you get past the too cool for school facade that he puts up. Just look at the way he reacts when things don’t go his way, the glares, the terse expressions and the snide back handed insults.

What worries me is what he will do if Obamacare goes down in flames. That’s the one piece of legislation he swore he would achieve in his term as President (it was going to be his legacy)and if it doesnt get enacted then his Presidency really will be considered a failure and I don’t think that’s something that Obama is willing to accept or really knows how to deal with.

Hellrider on August 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Hello my name is blah blah and I’m a liar

blatantblue on August 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Hellrider on August 9, 2009

My point was that he may be an amalgam of every vile totalitarian, fascistic, wealth destroying philosophy to come down the pike since 1900. I just don’t know that I could classify him as any of those philosophies specifically. He may be the evolutionary final result of modern progressivism.
Don’t mind me; it’s past my beddy-bye.

SKYFOX on August 9, 2009 at 10:46 PM

This is one of the grossest things I’ve seen. But damn if she isn’t good at sticking with the new “health insurance reform” language, huh?

Anyone out there going to sue or try to get charges pressed against this administration for this shiite?

Also, hey Kurtz, thank you for asking the question… But where’s the real follow-up? Where’s the “Yeah, but he said he favors single payer, in plain English… nothing out of context, just his words. Does he still support this? Is this his vision for the future? Does he want it phased in eventually?”

Come on, Kurtz. WTF?!

RightWinged on August 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Douglas threw out a hanging curve ball by saying Obama didn’t change his view on health care.

ALL KURTZ HAD TO DO WAS SHOW THE VIDEO AND LOCK IT UP.

No…. you can tell they had a conversation BEFORE the interview, and clearly Douglas had asked Kurtz whether he was going to show a clip of Obama talking about wanting single payer. Kurtz must have said no.

So…. then Douglas pulls out what looks like a HUGE risk by claiming Obama didn’t change his position but it wasn’t a risk because she covered that situation before the interview started.

Bottom line: ZIP ZERO NADA kudos to Kurtz, because Kurtz didn’t truly play the journalist… instead he showed his hand early and ended up giving her the pot.

VERY DISAPPOINTING… but then, it’s CNN! What did I expect? an expose’?

Danzo on August 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Linda Douglass = Washington Rose.

Ozwitch on August 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM

1) It is illegal to collect information on people expressing 1st amendment rights.
2) It is illegal to purge the names once they have been collected.
3) The communications, including the names, must be made public in 10 years.

This will result in a repeat of what happened in post-communist Germany when the Stasi files were released and it became know who where the ones spying on their neighbors.

scrubjay on August 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM

2) It is illegal to purge the names once they have been collected.
3) The communications, including the names, must be made public in 10 years.

scrubjay on August 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I wonder if when the records are released they will include the details of the snitch responsible for the individual report. IE names, adresses, phone numbers, email addresses or ip numbers?

Hellrider on August 9, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Mervis Winter on August 9, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Have been sending one or two a day, among other items, since the program was announced.

They opened the door…we are merely following their instructions.

Will they get the message?

Probably not. But keep sending in those clips and any other items that will help serve to bind up and crash their servers. It may be the only way to stop this obscene program.

And, I’ll be looking for you guys at the re-education centers. I’ll be the older, greying, really p’d off guy. You can’t miss me. :-)

coldwarrior on August 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Your lying eyes will deceive you don,t you know.

thmcbb on August 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM

There’s a lot I wish I could say about this, but it’s just numbing. The fact that the support for the measure has tanked, and nothing seems to be stopping it. The vast majority of people who are going to be paying substantial amounts for this don’t want it to happen. Most of those people will never need it nor use it, but they’re going to be forced to.

This is the absolute photo negative of representation, and that carries with it the implication that the ball is way out of our hands. All we can do is wait for the vote and hope that enough Blue Dogs and Republicans vote their constituency and their consciences.

MadisonConservative on August 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM

I had a really hard time understanding what this twit had to say through all that Bacock Oballsama in her mouth.

I wonder if she needs new knee pads.

BillaryMcBush on August 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM

THOSE ARE NOT MY WORDS ON THOSE OLD VIDEOS.

BELIEVE WHAT I SAY NOW!

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM.

Jedi Mindtrick Hand Motion

BillaryMcBush on August 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Really i hate this woman.

She has no integrity.

And please refer to her as Frau from now on, she has goosestepped far to long to earn her position to not be recognized for it.

BillaryMcBush on August 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Obamacare is about control. It isn’t about some compassionate program to insure everyone. It is about control – about social engineering. Very simple.

Connie on August 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM

She Sounds like Communist pop….

CynicalOptimist on August 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Equal opportunist!. Mr.and Mrs. Baghdad Bob and Linda .king and queen of disinformation!!!!.
Hold the Line America!. they are dwindling down. soon the libtards will be all out of time. bye bye poli-

God Bless our Armed Forces

hawkman on August 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Whatever her official job title is “Director of Health Care Media Disinformation Refutation” or whatever the heck, she’s failed miserably. If she worked for a corporation she’d be canned yesterday. “[email protected]” is going to be one for the history books.

Marcus on August 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Actually, Linda was right – Obama’s position on Single-Payer has been consistent:

therightscoop on August 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Could have been summarized more succinctly:

Linda Douglas: “Who you gonna believe,me or your lying eyes?”

AZfederalist on August 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM

God, I miss Tim Russert and Tony Snow. Either of them would have ripped Linda Douglass a new one on this. Kurtz is close, but no cigar.

rockmom on August 10, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Fraulein Douglas,

Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

portlandon on August 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM

This goes back to the way Obama had always been described – he can listen to two sides, and make them both think that he’s on their side. But in the end, he can’t be on both sides. It might work for an editor of a law journal, but it’s hard to keep it up when you’re president, and have to actually make a decision which will show your hand.

Phoenician on August 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Phoenician on August 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM

What the heck are you talking about? His tenure at the Law Journal was marked by nothing. NADA. He didnt publish one single article.

He was too busy during that time period shopping a book idea about black liberation about his amazing life story around for a 40K advance.

He NEVER wrote ANYTHING for the Law Journal.

BillaryMcBush on August 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Come on sing it!

Sapwolf on August 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Here is an assignment for this crazy WH-BHO-propaganda czarina :
Make a rebuttal video for this

macncheez on August 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM

This was all a bad dream.I’ve got to wake up. It’s the 1980s.Ronald Reagan is President. We’ve had a recession, but it’s over now.No big deal.There is no Commie in the White House.Are you kidding, our President is the biggest anti-Communist there is. There is no Muslim terrorist in the White House. Acorn is a nut from a tree, not a domestic terrorist organization. It’s a bad dream, I’ve got to wake up!

Jeff from WI on August 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Linda Douglass. The Tokyo Rose of our generation.
She’ll be roasting nicely in hell for helping the devil, Obama.

Jeff from WI on August 10, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Obama has stated clearly, at least as recently as 2007, that he favors a single-payer system. Why is he lying about this? Because he doesn’t want to explain why he’s changed his mind? Or because he hasn’t changed his mind?

ProfessorMiao on August 10, 2009 at 5:41 AM

Remember the Costanza rule – Its not a lie if YOU believe it!

Lonetown on August 10, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Just a question for y’all.
I’ve heard of white lies, lies, and politicians. Has Akbar’s reign brought us a FOURTH level of lying?
And if so what do I call it?

Or because he hasn’t changed his mind?

ProfessorMiao on August 10, 2009 at 5:41 AM

You won’t know until Soros/TOTUS tells you.

Blacksmith8 on August 10, 2009 at 6:04 AM

She is our Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf.

BrideOfRove on August 10, 2009 at 7:13 AM

She is scrunt.

Coronagold on August 10, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Linda Douglas Health Care Tokyo Rose, the health care propaganda czarina.

Jeff from WI on August 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM

I wonder, as a little girl, did Linda Douglass dream of being a traitor and a sell out to her country, or did she get that idea as an adult.

Jeff from WI on August 10, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I have never trusted a fast talker…she is not trust-worthy

Wade on August 10, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Baghdad Bob in a dress

Wade on August 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM

coldwarrior on August 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Well, there will be at least two of us there that fit that description.

Proud Texan on August 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM

coldwarrior on August 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Well, there will be at least two of us there that fit that description.

Proud Texan on August 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM

LOL..They;ll never put me in a re-education center. They may take me out in a gun fight, but I’ll guarantee I’ll take a few with me.

Jeff from WI on August 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Love how Douglass refers to how “we” corrected misinformation for Obama during the election, when she still worked for ABC.

Blacksheep on August 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM

After seeing this video, why do I have that not-so-fresh feeling?

bluelightbrigade on August 10, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Oh no. They’re not collecting names, email and addresses, etc. Just moments ago, I received an email from David Axelrod about their new health care propaganda website. This after I sent them a link to the history of the Stasi last week.

No, they’re not collecting info.

jack herman on August 10, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Stockholm syndrome, I recognize it in her. Totally brainwashed, poor old dame.

FireBlogger on August 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Linda Douglass….

Another Moron spokeshole for the Hussein Administration!

LIAR! LIAR! LIAR!

BigMike252 on August 10, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Can Linda Douglass still be called a journalist? Or is she to be labeled FORMER journalist?

Is there an official title of SHILL?

originalpechanga on August 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Ze truth ist vat ve say it is! – Linda Douglass-Goebbels

Wyznowski on August 10, 2009 at 12:06 PM

He has made this abundantly clear to anyone who actually pays attention to what he says, rather than dissects it to try to cherry-pick misinformation from it.

He said:

“If I were starting a system from scratch, then I think that the idea of moving towards a single-payer system could very well make sense,” Obama said in response to the questioner in New Mexico, echoing comments he made during his presidential campaign. “The only problem is that we’re not starting from scratch. . . . We don’t want a huge disruption as we go into health-care reform where suddenly we’re trying to completely reinvent one-sixth of the economy.”

In a perfect world, he’d like it. In the world we live in, he doesnt think it’s the way to go. This isnt complicated.

orange on August 10, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I’ve been listening to the completely ignorant liberal boobs talking on the radio today and last night, as well as all the major buffoons calling in to them.

I’m truly amazed at how un-informed, ignorant, and just plain stupid the liberal callers and talk show hosts are. Where they aren’t just freakin dumb as a brick, they’re completely dishonest.

The liberal campaign to push this socialist shit through is in full swing. All I can say is if Steele wants to prove himself the leader of the GOP he better get busy doing an overdrive campaign telling the truth to the people about whats in this plan, how bad it truly is, and specifically point out an enumerate to the nth degree how the liberal politicians and TV talking heads are lying about this….AND about how little support for it there really is.

If he doesn’t get busy then he needs to step down to make room for someone that IS ready to fight, and I mean NOW.

Spiritk9 on August 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM