Video: World’s worst TV interview

posted at 11:25 am on August 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Let’s say you’re a talk-show host and you get the one guy who precisely predicted the financial collapse a year before it happened.  You want to talk to him about the health-care reform debate and the financial implications of the current legislation.  Note also that the guest has been openly considering a run against an incumbent Senator.  As an interviewer, what strategy would you choose?

A. Ask him to detail in depth how he predicted the financial collapse and to provide parallels to what he sees in the health-care debate

B. Acknowledge his success in predicted the 2008 collapse, but focus instead on the financial implications of health-care reform as a separate topic

C. Research the topic thoroughly and debate him point-for-point on substantive matters within the bill

D. Talk over him, don’t allow him to answer anything completely, offer juvenile demands to force the guest to give complicated answers in “30 seconds”, and berate him when he attempts to explain why that’s the entire problem with the health-care debate

Most interviewers will choose either A, B, or C, and all three are legitimate ways to interview an expert guest.  If you want D, you usually have to tune in to MS-NBC, where Lawrence O’Donnell filled in for Ed Schultz on The Ed Show and channeled his inner Wally George.  O’Donnell interviewed Peter Schiff, the man who tried to warn everyone that the housing bubble would burst and create a catastrophe, only in the sense that Schiff was allowed to remain on camera during an almost-uninterrupted diatribe by O’Donnell:

Why did O’Donnell act like a middle-school bully instead of a news interviewer? Apart from the fact that O’Donnell is a middle-school bully on air, Schiff wants to run against Chris Dodd for his Senate seat, and Schiff opposes ObamaCare.  Instead of allowing Schiff to actually explain why, O’Donnell simply shouts over him and issues ridiculous time demands, and does just about everything short of sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling “NA-NA-NA-I-CAN’T-HEAR-YOU” when Schiff tries to explain his positions.

You know, if MS-NBC was an actual news organization, someone there would be embarrassed.

Update: I added the link to Schiff’s campaign site; be sure to give it a visit.  And yes, I have extended the invitation by e-mail as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

the_nile on August 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

The sad thing is that O’Donnell is one of the best talents at MSNBC. That isn’t meant as a compliment to him, ot to MSNBC.

Star20 on August 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

O’Donnell is the scariest guy on TV news. He may be further left than Obama.

faraway on August 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Lawrence is a gidrool.

there it is on August 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM

they can’t win on facts.

rob verdi on August 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM

“When did you stop beating you’re wife” journalism.

You cannot keep or gain viewers on this type of interviews.

the_nile on August 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I saw this…. I couldn’t believe my eyes… unbelievable that MSNBC is still on the air.

BPD on August 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Why did O’Donnell act like a middle-school bully instead of a news interviewer?

Um, because he is one?

I’m not watching the bully session, I just ate breakfast.

<blockquote>Mr. Schiff, if you want to appear on an Ed show that will allow you to talk, I’ll block out a half-hour for you any time at TEMS here at Hot Air.

That would be awesome.

conservative pilgrim on August 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Does the water that MSNBC carries for Obamacare ever get too heavy?

Do these MSNBC hosts sit behind tall desks to hide the fact that the knees of their pants are all worn out and Obama is heading out for a cigarette?

ted c on August 8, 2009 at 11:33 AM

nothing new here. Silence your opponents because they need to be silenced.

can i have an amen corner, here

billypaintbrush on August 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Left wing extremists never make good interviewers

TimeTraveler on August 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

This is the same guy that said he knew 100% Karl Rove was going to jail.

He also admitted on air that he would never rail against Muslims the same way he does against Christians because he is afraid they would blow him up.

When liberals don’t have reality or facts on their side,they filibuster and yell over you. It’s like trying to make a 5 year old clean their room.

This interview has nothing to do with understanding the issues and everything to do with appealing to their left wing base that thinks shouting over people and calling people names is intelligent conversation.

This will play to the Jon Stewart crowd nicely.

Intelligent people in touch with reality…not so much.

Baxter Greene on August 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Good thing this interview was on MSNBC, no one was watching it.

Tommy_G on August 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM

O’Donnell is always seething with rage. Very creepy guy.

faraway on August 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Schiff is running. He has a youtube channel and he does townhalls and fundraising. He and Gary Shilling were waaaaaay ahead of the curve on the collapse but of course everyone still laughs at them even though they were spot on..

to give you an idea of how disaffected Dems are, as I always say I am 22 yr Dem and I actually have Seasons 1-4 of West Wing on DVD and yeah I know I know..

anyway Lawrence there is another one I can no longer stand, who is clearly a hypocritical tool

all I can say is sorry and I look forward to 2010
hubby and I and I am sure many many mod Dems will be voting GOP

anyone who voted with HopeyChangey can see the reality now….and calling us hysterical or racist simply wont sway them anymore imo….been used too many times….

ginaswo on August 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Holy Christ, that was disturbing.

Now, I’m not the biggest Schiff fan, because he pushed back his economic meltdown predictions for a decade, but obviously the guy is a true fiscal and smaller-government conservative, who would be worlds better than that lying creep Dodd.

Ed, you weren’t kidding.

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

That was supposed to be an interview? Isn’t the interviewed supposed to get to talk or something?

Guardian on August 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

“Creepy Liar!!!!”

aquaviva on August 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I like Peter Schiff. I think he’ll be great as senator.

Lawrence O’Donnell is a joke. Whenever I see him on the McLaughlin Group or any other show, I quickly change the channel. The guy is a moron. Peter Schiff should go on shows that merit his time.
TEMS is a great alternative :)

jencab on August 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I dont watch MS-NBC. Thanks for reminding me why.

conservativegrandma on August 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM

faraway
yes he got all he wanted and he is still seething, they all are, great summary

ginaswo on August 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM

That entire network is a joke. No wonder libs love it.

StevefromMKE on August 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Sounds like O’Donnell is auditioning his outrage bully tactics to get his own show. Must be hard at MSNBC to always be the bridesmaid but never the bride.

sherry on August 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM

NBC, MSNBC, and their stance on Global Warming are reasons that I refuse to knowingly purchase anything from GE ever again.

Sporty1946 on August 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

He’s not the only one who predicted it. He’s just the only one you saw on tv. A lot of people made big bucks.

DFCtomm on August 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

here is Schiffs youtube channel
he is fundraising to see if he can afford to run video here
I dont agree with everything he says but as I am a born Bear I keep an ear tuned to what he is saying….

ginaswo on August 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I can’t stand any of the punditry class anymore. There’s just a lack of basic respect and reasonable behavior on TV anymore.

They set a horrible example for all of us.

The one good thing I see is that I’m fairly certain that the days when an outburst was truly news are over. Maybe we’ll see an end to this nonsense when it’s nothing more than a yawn.

AnninCA on August 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

What a complete and utter ASSHOLE.

WisCon on August 8, 2009 at 11:41 AM

That would be nice.

BallisticBob on August 8, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Maybe we’ll see an end to this nonsense when it’s nothing more than a yawn.

AnninCA on August 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I think it’s slowly moving in that direction. It would be refreshing to actual reporting returning to an analysis of facts. I don’t mind opinions as long as they are stated using one’s inside voice, rather than their outside voice.

sherry on August 8, 2009 at 11:43 AM

O’Donnell is such a hack. I couldn’t believe this. He brings a guest on and then treats the whole interview like a ventriloquist show.

MarkABinVA on August 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

The only question I’d have is why does anyone bother
going on NBC MS or not when they know the libturds
aren’t interested in facts.

Texyank on August 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Worst. Interview. Evaaarrrrr.

LibTired on August 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

“When did you stop beating you’re wife” journalism.

You cannot keep or gain viewers on this type of interviews.

the_nile on August 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

the question is, “have you stopped beating your wife?”. it has to be a “yes” or “no” question, or you don’t make your point by asking it.

not to criticize, just sayin…;)

surrounded on August 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Remember this at all times about the O’Donnells of the world. They are the hardcore cadre that has always made up the bulk of Fascist enterprises. They make up all such movements today–cap and trade, global warming, health care, Chavez, Ortega, Castro stormtroopers, brown shirts etc. They are the first to resort to censorship followed by political internments, murder and mayhem when they don’t get their way. The staircase is well worn.

On a lesser scale these tendencies are showing up in the Pelosi’s and Reid’s of today’s Democrat party. If the protests at the current town hall’s persist they will revert to stronger and darker methods.

It is a well worn path documented throughout the history of ism’s. It always ends up in graves and gulags. The core unifying principle–they abhor the free market where their ideas always fail.

patrick neid on August 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Peter Schiff’s potential voters aren’t watching MSNBC, and he’s running against Dodd who has awful publicity. It shouldn’t be that hard to make some traction, even though Schiff has no political experience.

Schiff should have just laughed at being talked over, instead of trying to make his points and be repeatedly interrupted. He should choose his venues more carefully, and parry more effectively. Not a good media start for his campaign.

JiangxiDad on August 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Why would anyone go on that network unless you Jeff Zucker’s brother?

d1carter on August 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

This is beginning to remind me of my old Maytag washing machine when it encountered an unbalanced load. One of the concrete weights wasn’t attached anymore, so when the load landed more on one side than the other, in the spin cycle the whole machine would shake and shimmy across the floor, gouging tracks in the linoleum, and making WWI machine gun noises.

Larry needs a visit from the maytag repairman.

applebutter on August 8, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I am pretty sure that any “journalist” who uses the words “Liar, creepy liar” in an interview should be immediately drummed out of the group. And although I hesitate to be judgmental, can you still keep the journalist title and be the star of a HBO series on polygamy? I’m just saying……

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2009 at 11:47 AM

This is interesting. I think there was actually a prelude for this spot earlier that day (or week) on Morning Joe. There, Scarborough actually gave Schiff a chance to talk. And the other members of the cast (Barnacle and Geist, I think) seemed genuinely impressed. Towards the end, when O’Donnell finally got a chance to chime in, you could see more than a hint that he’d been holding back his seething rage. When given the chance, he started rattling off questions to Schiff, not giving him a chance to answer and shifting subjects to ask questions to try to make him look bad.

Scarborough ended the segment chuckling as he essentially pulled O’Donnell back like the owner of a barking dog. And he said that they’d both have to come back again for a more lengthy discussion. I guess they opted for the Ed Show instead.

BuckeyeSam on August 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM

O’Donnell the Doosh made this extraordinary man’s point for him. I wished I lived in CT to vote for this guy.

For now I will just have to be happy with the premature resignation of the uber-RINO Sen. Martinez.

epluribusunum on August 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I hope he takes you up on the offer.

DFCtomm on August 8, 2009 at 11:50 AM

2:51 was as far as I could stomach. That OOD onnell

guy sounds like an ACORN twerp.

Texyank on August 8, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I bet Lawrence is also the first to condemn townhall attendes because they talk over their elected officials. Again, unless you agree with a liberal, you aren’t entitled to express your opinion.

pjean on August 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I got about 3 minutes into the “interview” and that was enough for me. What a complete embarrassment O’Donnell is. I’m tempted to say it was the “worst interview ever”, but it really wasn’t an interview, was it?

He had one mission in that segment and that was to try to make Schiff look as bad as possible and all he did was make himself look as bad as possible.

PackerBronco on August 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I agree – truly the worst interview in history. O’Donnell is a dope smoking flame throwing liberal. He needs to be incarcerated.

iam7545 on August 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Are we headed for a split primary in Connecticut? Who’s this Peter Schiff? I thought there was some Rob guy who was our nominee?

promachus on August 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM

What an a$$!!!!

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

The Fourth Grade Estate.

ronsfi on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

He’s also the guy who almost punched out Cathy Siepp.

joeindc44 on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Peter is government’s worst nightmare….

We need 100 Peter Schiff’s in the Senate….

izoneguy on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Wait is the same guy that Hugh Hewitt totally eviscerated?

terryannonline on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Not a good media start for his campaign.

JiangxiDad on August 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Schiff came out fine. It’s O’Donnell that tanked. If Schiff made any mistake it was in the mistaken assumption that MSNBC was still a news network.

PackerBronco on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Thank God my FIOS doesn’t carry MSNBC. I couldn’t accidentally stumble into this stuff and break my tv.

Tazz 55 on August 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Most interviewers will choose either A, B, or C

“Most”? Do you know where we can find one these days?

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Peter is government’s worst nightmare….

We need 100 Peter Schiff’s in the Senate….

izoneguy on August 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Only for 8 years. I figure that’s how long even someone like Schiff could withstand the corrosive environment.

DFCtomm on August 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

“Mr. Schiff, if you want to appear on an Ed show that will allow you to talk, I’ll block out a half-hour for you any time at TEMS here at Hot Air.”

I hope you sent him an e-mail, Ed.

Dusty on August 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I saw this “interview” during a commercial. Why oh why don’t these guys ever say, “If you shut your mouth for one second I’d answer you”. Or “Is this how you interview your liberal friends”?
If this was me and I had someone talk like this to me I’d ask him is this how your Mother taught you to speak to people? To talk over them. Then just walk off. Like watching Matthews show. This is why I can only watch no more than a minute of this joke of a network.

ChiTownPizza on August 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

MSNBC is an embarrassing game of “King of the Hill”. Every pundit trying to be more offensive than the next. MSNBC is NOT for reasonable Americans. It enables bitterness, anger and self-loathing.

pjean on August 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

A slightly better interview.

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Golden moment from this one, by the way…10 seconds from the end, Scarborough mentions he’d love to hear Schiff and O’Donnell “go back and forth”.

Wonder what he thought of that trainwreck.

MadisonConservative on August 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I cannot understand why, on earth, anybody on the right goes on this station. Do the guests really think they are going to influence the viewers that watch? There is no better example of a lose…lose situation than a conservative, republican, libertarian, etc. trying to get their message across on MS blah blah blah.

bestwins on August 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

wowowowowoow. that was unbelievable. how can anyone watch that interview and not think that msnbc is the most intellectually dishonest, vile POS network ever? If I was Schiff I would have just unclipped my mike, sat there and laughed as O’Donnell went on that 8 minute rant. or punched him in the face. either one.

patriette on August 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Why did O’Donnell act like a middle-school bully instead of a news interviewer?

Because he’s “just a good American who has a different idea of how things should be done.”, right ed? This guy and schumer, barny, pelosi, olbermann and even everyones slick liberal jake tapper are the ideological, intellectual and emotional descendants of the nazis. I could care less what any squishy’s think, how offended they may be by certain words, these people would imprison citizens who have a different viewpoint if they could. Anyone getting overly excited about the townhall situation better get your feet back on earth. Nothing is getting better, these thugs are getting more emboldened by the day. This wasn’t a matter of a rude host, this and the townhall meetings and the viscious censorship and demonization of conservative thought is our FREE SPEECH being taken away.

By the way, we should stop calling them squishys or rinos or moderates and start calling them Vichy republicans.

peacenprosperity on August 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Wasn’t it O’Donnell who, on some TV talk show (Dennis Miller’s?) kept screaming “Liar! LIAR!!” at some guest? The guy is a fruitcake with extra nuts.

irishspy on August 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM

O’Reilly has a Marxist doppelganger.

whitetop on August 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I lasted about four minutes, then I hurled. My guess is that Schiff knew what he was getting into and proved he’s not scared to take on these clowns.

O’Donnell illustrated perfectly how to act when there’s no way to win the fight.

perroviejo on August 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Jim Treacher
I used to be a poster on the late great Cathy Seipp’s site, where you used to send in posts as well.
Remember when O’Donnell screamed at her for five minutes when she dared to criticize the California teacher’s union?
Cathy was a little woman, weighing about 100 pounds and this large idiot literally turned red as he raved on, two feet from her face.

TexasJew on August 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Everyone knows O’Donnell is a circus clown. A perfect example of a guilty rich white guy from New England who needs to be a leftist for the sake of his own salvation. Schiff should have know better to go that disaster of a network.

Hummer53 on August 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM

O’Donnell is representative of the leftists that are running the White House. The place is crawling with little Lawrences.

faraway on August 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Well, that was bad. They won’t make that mistake again.

By mistake, I mean allowing someone who disagrees with the overlords to be on air and even get a word in edgewise sometimes.

Coming soon: SEIU and ACORN guests to debate how awesome socialized medicine will be, and to argue as to which provision is the best.

Vashta.Nerada on August 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Why do normal people still go on MSNBC?

David2.0 on August 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM

LOL. Yeah, there does seem to be a divide on the right as to just what we’re facing. Some think it’s a mattere our very survival; others think we’re just facing our loyal opposition. Somebody’s about to learn something the hard way.

JiangxiDad on August 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM

hubby and I and I am sure many many mod Dems will be voting GOP
ginaswo on August 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

That’s awesome but be very careful. Don’t just vote gop, vote conservative because there are many in the gop who are just opportunists and do not want to lead, they just want the easy government pension and the perks.

peacenprosperity on August 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM

e started to make the point that health insurance is for catastrophic, unlikely procedures. THAT is what most people have forgotten when talking about healthcare. Insurance is not for treatment for the flu.

InCali on August 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM

TexasJew on August 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I remember that also. Cathy looked at him fearlessly though, like “who the f let you out of your cage?”

Cathy was awesome.

baldilocks on August 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I half expected O’Donnell to start telling Schiff that he was also a racist and a bigot who hates gays. The way he kept putting words in his mouth was totally unprofessional. That wasn’t an interview, it was a Nazi trial.

4shoes on August 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Why do normal people still go on MSNBC?

David2.0 on August 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I like Peter Schiff, and have found his advice very helpful. I also think he’s sincere and earnest. But, he, like a lot of people, does seem to enjoy the spotlight. I think it’s a personality flaw myself, but apparently a common one.

JiangxiDad on August 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Wow. That was bad

Weight of Glory on August 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Guys like O’Donnell will be running Death Panels soon.

faraway on August 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Vashta.Nerada on August 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM

“O’Donnell welcomes his new insect liberal overlords”

BallisticBob on August 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM

“Lawrence, STFU and let me finish a sentence.”

ParisParamus on August 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM

So You Want Me To INTERVIEW MYSELF. IS THAT WHAT YOU’RE SAYING MR. SCHIFF!?

Teddy on August 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Her’s some pics of O’Donnell going nuclear
And a partial piece of her making him totally nuts by calling him “delusional” He went even more nuts later, but this is all I could find:

TexasJew on August 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I would give my left testicle to see conservatives (or anyone for that matter) that get ambushed like this just start to sit back and respond “You’re a tool” to every question and/or diatribe

People should also start chanting it at town halls

Nothing pisses them off more than mockery

Sugarbuzz on August 8, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I think Morrissey is exactly on point here, as usual. But if I can add an E, I’d add:

E) If you have a guest on who is renown for his/her expertise and success in a given area, and you are not known for similar success or expertise, do not lecture the guest on this area. No one wants to hear some recreational swimmer lecturing Michael Phelps on how to perform the breaststroke.

DarkKnight3565 on August 8, 2009 at 12:14 PM

ED! Peter predicted the collapse in 2002, much more than a year before the collapse. The dude was right on even before then, but 2002 is the oldest video I could find.

True_King on August 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM

MSNBC… isn’t that some sort of news parody channel?

n0doz on August 8, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Jeebus Pete! I thought that the description was an exaggeration, but the actual interview was far worse than I thought….

Sheesh… how is MSNBC still on the air?

jana on August 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Wow. that was painful. i actually thought this was from ONN….

jbh45 on August 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Isolate. Demonize. Ridicule. But above all never permit a dissenting message to be spoken.

Any bets as to when O’Donnell is asked to join the Obama Administration?

coldwarrior on August 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM

And this is why I love Ann Coulter. Her voice is loud enough to talk through this type of stunt. And it’s loud enough for her to drown them out when they try to talk after pulling this crap on her.

Love you, Ann!

Blake on August 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM

O’Donnell was terrible, but it was a worthwhile watch as Schiff did an excellent job picking off each of O’Donnell’s clumsy propaganda points. Schiff is really good at pointing out how government giveaways are just expensive redistributions rather than tools of innovation.

dedalus on August 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Larry should have just interviewed himself since he wouldn’t let Mr. Schiff get more than 3-4 words out to the rapid fire questions he kept firing off. It was amazing at the end when Larry thought he gave Mr. Schiff plenty of time to answer his “when did you stop beating your wife?” questions. Too funny. I’d like to see Schiff go on a friendlier show to hear what he has to say. Heck, in the interview I didn’t know what he sounded like over Larry’s rants.

Planet Boulder on August 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I bet Dodd will give O’Donnell a big wet one for that interview.

PattyJ on August 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Now you know why liberals think Jon Stewart is more serious than msnbc, he is..

the_nile on August 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Typical O’Donnell. Schiff should take him up on his offer to come back, and bring a baseball bat with him.

ICBM on August 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Any forecast for the midterm elections?

Come on, AP! The hell with politics! You want the forecast for you getting in her pants.

Blake on August 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Mess-NBC got all those Obama-dollars in bail out so it’s time to pay the boss back.

Mojave Mark on August 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM