Video: Dingell townhall infiltrated by well-dressed sophisticates, too

posted at 3:35 pm on August 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Want a video definition of “clueless”? Watch John Dingell’s reaction to the massive outpouring of opposition to the ObamaCare bill he authored, which comes at the 2-minute mark. With not one but two SRO crowds at Dingell’s home-town meetings shouting “Kill the Bill,” what conclusion does Dingell draw? The bill is not terribly popular? It’s going to create a big problem for him unless he retires in 2010? Not exactly:

I keep looking around the halls on these videos to see those “well-dressed” imposters that Barbara Boxer insists keep infiltrating town halls of Democrats who back the nationalization of health care. I’ve yet to see a single tie or wing-tip shoe, but I certainly see a lot of people with some very good questions for ObamaCare advocates. Just before Dingell chalks up a room full of people chanting “Kill the Bill” to the efforts of a few infiltrators, one woman angrily asks Dingell who will pay for ObamaCare. “Will it come out of my paycheck?” she demands, and Dingell has no answer.

Hey, lady, Dingell wrote the bill. Don’t expect him to actually know what’s in it.

Dingell and Boxer can claim that all of this comes from some sort of odd phenomenon organized by a handful of powerful interests, but that doesn’t explain either the rapid fall in public support for ObamaCare, nor the decline in Obama’s approval numbers in general or on health care specifically. Americans would like to see some of the shortfalls in the system fixed, such as the difficulty in getting insured with pre-existing conditions and the lack of interstate competition for coverage plans, but they don’t want government running their health care. If Dingell and Boxer really believe their press, they’re in for a rude awakening in 2010.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Possible that Obama might fall into the category spoken of in this video done by an American teenager…

That’s looking more and more likely all the time.

UnderstandingisPower on August 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Well, their deck has always been a few cards short.

lorien1973 on August 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Laura:

Actually, I think Steele is getting better all the time. But as for Republicans organizing this, no, I think this is from the bottom up, not the other way around.

Terrye on August 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM

50 years?

Vote his conscience?

What’s wrong with those statements?

madmonkphotog on August 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Dingleberry has been in politics for 50 years….time to go dood, time to go.

Either you retire or just keep up the pro communist rhetoric and I’m sure you’ll retire at the end of a rope.

Spiritk9 on August 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM

And I will say something else for the GOP, they did not come up with this piece of crap bill and right now people need to remember who did..the Democrats. Save your disgust for them.

Terrye on August 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Folks, stop being so naive. Don’t worry about whether we are organizing top down or bottom up. The Alinsky-ites are playing you.

faraway on August 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Dingell is an ignorant Communist… I knew that before I watched the clip… I still know it.

mankai on August 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Basically Dingell hears from his constituents and tells them to go eff themselves.

roux on August 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Dingell has been in Congress for 50 years. How is Michigan faring from his efforts?

hawksruleva on August 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM

And his father (John Dingell-berry Sr.) held the seat for 20+ years before him. Pathetic indeed.

Norwegian on August 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

But when you get people saying that we’re going to get government-run healthcare for the entire nation, it’s just not true.

The public option is a pretext. They’ll set it up, then give it every advantage they can — up to and including operating subsidies when it starts losing money. Do you honestly think that the people who are calling it non-negotiable before it’s served a single citizen are going to pull the plug on it if it turns out to be a failure? Ridiculous.

If it won’t be allowed to fail, if it receives either implicit or explicit assurances of a bailout, it can’t compete fairly with private insurance because it’ll have a lower cost of capital… and that’s just for starters.

DrSteve on August 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Oh yeah, Tom_Shipley, another question: how come this bill imposes new taxes and rules on the pricate insurers immediately, but the new benefits and the public program don’t get implemented until 2013? What’s “sensible” about that? I thought this was a crisis that needed to be solved immediately.

And where are the doctors going to come from, once the government slashes Medicare reimbursements even further and forces doctors to accept the public plan that uses the Medicare reimbursement schedule? Do you know that right now Medicare pays only about 1/4 of actual doctor charges? How many doctors do you think will continue practicing once their incomes are slashed by a half to three-fourths? Are you ready to have your surgery peformed by a nurse with 2 years of training?

Again, what part of this legislation is sensible?

rockmom on August 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

RightWinged on August 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Infiltrated???? It looked more like a meeting of the Matlock fan club

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM

HILARIOUS!

VibrioCocci on August 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Wow! This guy has been around since before the Johnson Administration!

….Andrew Johnson, of course.

aop on August 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM

A follow up to my own question: this just in — and maybe the reason Shuler doesn’t need to do a lot of town halls during the break.

Shuler plans to vote against HR 3200 (ObamaCare).

He has to, he can not get elected again in that district by voting for Obama’s agenda. H/T Brian Faughnan

LastRick on August 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM

What a clueless (at best), lying bastard of a congressman. Infiltrated??? Time to vote the aristocrats out.

Princeps on August 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM

It seems that “infiltrated” is a common thread with all of these Dems – straight out of the talking points from King Barack.

tru2tx on August 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

DrW on August 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Tom is getalife’s sister. Nothing else needs to be said.

chemman on August 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Wow! A talking Skeleton!!!

/Usually, we only see these on Halloween.

Key West Reader on August 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

The Alinsky-ites are playing you.

faraway on August 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM

To what end? World domination? This plan, which may have been orchestrated, has clearly spun out of control and if there is one thing this WH holds dearly it’s control. His poll numbers took a dive and woke people up to his divisive ways during the Gates issue. Demonizing and berating the dissenters makes the Gates problem look like a minor snafu. Do you actually think people are going to just calm down in a couple of days after they have spoken their minds? The WH may attempt to retreat from the mess they have created but it will fail as an attempt to right their wrong.

sherry on August 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

One semi serious question. How can a meeting called for Americans be infiltrated by Americans? Or are non-Democrats also non-American?

oldernwiser on August 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Hardly wait to see the videos on the Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barbara Boxer town hall meetings…would they dare to even have a town hall meeting?

albill on August 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Infiltrated???? It looked more like a meeting of the Matlock fan club

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM

OK, the gig is up. We’re busted. LMAO

Key West Reader on August 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM

How dare that man use his son as a prop to gain sypathy for his position. I mean he is using the Democrats playbook, Who does he think he is with Acorn????

deadbackpacker on August 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Laura:

Terrye on August 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I’m with you, and I think bottom(s) up works better. It should be the people giving the directions to their representatives, not the other way around.

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM

The RNC couldn’t organize a game of solitaire.

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

They couldn’t walk their way out of a bathroom

blatantblue on August 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Yeah, except here in NC, I don’t see too many House members and Senators holding town halls (except McHenry). Check out the list here, it’s “No Town Hall Scheduled” ad infinitum. Or the co-op Tele-Town (Shuler). So my representative is using this “Summer District Work Period” to not allow me near him; how effective.

If anyone else has NC info, I would appreciate.

LastRick on August 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Hey don’t let that stop ya. Just get a big old cardboard cutout of the liars and schedule your own Townhall!
Hang a sign around its’ neck titled “Yellow Belly Liar”
or “Ly’n CrapWeasel” and have your own Townhall complete with speaches with titles like:
1) If Obamas’ CrappyCares’ so good why aren’t you and the unions on it? or
2) Why should I die young so someone who doesn’t pay taxes can have healthcare when I paid mine? or
3) Can you promise me Illegal aliens won’t get the Free healthcare I pay for? or
4) Why should I have to pay for some lazy a$$ babymakers HealthCare and abortion? Why don’t they get a job?
5) Why should I trust a Goberment that underestimated cash for clunkers by 500% to estimate healcare cost correctly? or
6) I hate my goberment Highways why would I want Goberment hospitals or
7) If I can’t trust Goberment social security why would I trust them with my life or
8) If Goberment broke Fannie and Freddie why wouldn’t they break healthcare? or
9) If I can’t trust Goberment with my social security number why would I trust them with my medical records?

dhunter on August 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM

dhunter on August 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM

OK, can I steal “Lyin crap Weasle”? I like that one.

Key West Reader on August 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM

“I’ve been in Congress 50 years”.

Problem identified.

Solution: Term limits.

Hog Wild on August 7, 2009 at 4:28 PM

albill on August 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Pelosi hasn’t scheduled any. But we’re marching on her SF office on the 14th.

guntotinglibertarian on August 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Congressman Dingle, don’t worry about the bill,you look like death warmed over, your legacy for 50 years in office will be of a Communist traitor, and you’ll burn in hell for killing children.

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

It’s a vicious cycle. People asked reasonable questions. Got responses like “I don’t know. I haven’t read it, but I’m voting for it.” More questions come. People who are asking reasonable questions get called names. And they complain about it. And -they- are the victims.

Interesting take. Beaten wife syndrome, much?

lorien1973 on August 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I’m not sure what you’re saying… when they were behaving as you described above, they were effective.

Now, they are shouting down anyone who tries to talk, storming meetings and essentially shutting them down, and when one of them somehow manages to get a second to talk, they scream what sound like talking points (rather than well thought-out statements/questions) at the top of their lungs. NOW they look like idiots, and are undoing progress that was being made.

More of the stuff you described would be great.

DaveS on August 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Key West Reader on August 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Absolutely! steal away sir, steal away!

dhunter on August 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM

rockmom on August 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

You’re confusing Tom with facts. A big fat no no. :)

txag92 on August 7, 2009 at 4:34 PM

DrSteve on August 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

AMTRAK 2.

Johan Klaus on August 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM

That’s looking more and more likely all the time.

UnderstandingisPower on August 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I just wish the kid hadn’t included a picture of that Democrat hack John Glenn in the video.

guntotinglibertarian on August 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Put Carl Levin next to him and it’ll look the two old guys from the muppet show, Statler and Waldorf. Except they were more positive.

MichiganMatt on August 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Tom_Shipley on August 7, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Long time no see, Ship. How was your summer holiday in Albania?

Like monkei, you were much funnier at Captain’s Quarters.

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Lefttards are literally FREAKING THE HELL OUT over being protested. They are not used to this. They have spent the last 9 years whining about the war and foreign policy of Republicans. This is like a different universe for them.

Speedwagon82 on August 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Petulance is so unbecoming for the leader of the free world.

Face it libtards, your boy is melting in public! Dorothy Gale threw water on him! “What a world… what a world…”

Akzed on August 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Strong evidence for term limits.

Scrappy on August 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM

More of the stuff you described would be great.

DaveS on August 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, screaming over other people is what the Left does. I share these peoples’ anger, but it’s not a great tactic.

guntotinglibertarian on August 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Dingell bragged about being in Congress 50 years.

That’s 35 years too long.

Liam on August 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM

50 years in congress

Any one else have a issue with that?

liquidflorian on August 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Exactly.

Why Congress insists on making this more complicated than it has to be is beyond me.

The Ugly American on August 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Wow! A talking Skeleton!!!

Usually, we only see these on Halloween.

Key West Reader on August 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

*I see dead people*

..yeah, we had one from representing us in California a few years when Cranston was in the senate. It’s amazing how many of these people look like walking death’s heads or fossilized, botoxed wimmin with prune lips.

VoyskaPVO on August 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM

He said he’s been in Congress for 50+ years. Then obviously he’s one of the people who help create this mess that Obama is now demanding to shut up and step aside.

p0s3r on August 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM

two words…

TERM LIMITS!

surrounded on August 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM

AMTRAK 2.

Johan Klaus on August 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Nail. Head. It’s Fabian socialism. And if you understand the role of government in providing subsidized rail service in competition with private systems prior to their collapse in the early ’70s, the parallels are even more disturbing. I guess it’s only fair, though, since the ICC was a creature of the rail lines and repeatedly attacked the nascent trucking industry on their behalf.

DrSteve on August 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM

If a Democrat or a skunk were each in trouble, facing a sure death, I’d help the skunk, a more noble beast.

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM

70 years of Michigan Dingles enough?

clorensen on August 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM

70 years of Michigan Dingles enough?

clorensen on August 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM

What I’d give for someone with the initials “T.P.” to run against Dingell. It would make for fun ads at the least.

teke184 on August 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Whats sad is this guy is my rep. I wish I knew about this town hall meeting. I went to his house.gov website and didn’t see anything on there about the meeting. Good thing they are letting people know when these things are.

Anyway this guys needs to retire. Heck he needed to retire 30 years ago.

nobleclem on August 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM

What’s happening with these “protests” or disruptions of what’s supposed to be a civil debate [bla bla bla bla]

Tom_Shipley on August 7, 2009 at 3:48 PM

These aren’t set up to be debates. They are set up as lectures from congresscritters to their psychophantic sheep. Lots of statements….NO QUESTIONS from them.

Any of these idjits start their meeting by saying something like “I’m here to listen so I’ll sit down, shut up and let you (my constituents) want. Please try to take less than X minutes each so that we can get as many people through as possible.” I think McCaskill did(I haven’t seen a link to video yet though), but she made a staffer do it.

Fighton03 on August 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Make sure your pitchforks have the Union Made label on them.

bloviator on August 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Those are from China.

Sapwolf on August 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Exactly!

I’m sick of people believing that other Americans are against reform. Most want reform, but not in the form of Government mandated health care. I do not want Government involved in mine, or anyone’s health care. I do not want them deciding who lives, who dies, and who gets what in care.

Paul Krugmen, assured , and cocky , and confident Canadians were happy with their health care, asked a room full of Canadians, who hated their health care. While they didn’t show the participants raise their hands, Krugmens face said it all, as did his words. He voiced, he’d made a mistake in asking that question. I’m assuming a good portion of the room, raised their hands.

So we want reform. We don’t want Obama, or any other government goon running the show.

capejasmine on August 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM

“I’ve always done what I thought was best for ‘my’ people” – quote from vid clip.

Yeah, except listen to the people he references as political and wage slaves to his opinions! Hey Michigan 15th! Get rid of your Dingell-berry!

ExpressoBold on August 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM

70 years of Michigan Dingles enough?

clorensen on August 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Sounds like a Chrissy Matthews problem.

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Return to the Constitution created by our Founders. Repeal the 16th and 17th Amendments. Throw the bums out, and return to Congress meeting only occasionally, while holding regular jobs. No pensions, no perks. Scrap federal involvement in the public school system, which is nothing more than leftist indoctrination en masse. We must not only yell “Stop,” we must turn around and get back our Republic.

DrMagnolias on August 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

50 years in Congress?

That’s a major cause of our problems.

jcrue on August 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

democRAT congressman should be changed often just like baby diapers and for the same reason. Dingle has been one giant stinking turd for 50 years.

Bleed_thelizard on August 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Dingell intends to do what he thinks is right for “his people”. He really doesn’t care what the people think.

Now that we have “Change”, it’s so much more convenient for authoritarians to impose their will on the serfs.

notagool on August 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM

2/3 of Daily Kos is shouting “Jail the protestors” and the other 1/3 is saying they are being like George Bush. Its hilarious.

Speedwagon82 on August 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM

What, no swastikas?

Wyznowski on August 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM

“Let me tell you something friend, I’ve been in Congress for 50 years…”

WTF????

Hey Dingleberry… that’s EXACTLY the problem. It’s socialistic, power-blinded hacks like you, whose sole purpose is to feed like a leech off the dollars that we taxpayers earn, who make me sick!

NO More Career Politicians!
NO More Unlimited Terms!
NO Nationalized Health Care!

I’m so disgusted that this asshat is from Michigan. On behalf of all fellow conservative Michiganians, I apologize to all the rest of you for Levin, Conyers, Dingle, and all the other lobotomized libs we’ve managed to send to Washington.

Now that we have no economy here in MI to speak of, perhaps people will begin seeing the Democrats and the unions for what they are: The Anti-American Dream

jcmorris on August 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Yeah,, this meeting was infiltrated by the people!
50 years in congress??? That’s part of the problem!
Nobody should be 50 freaking years in congress!

JellyToast on August 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM

At least other elected officials pretend to talk to the little people. Here is what we get:

Pelosi will spend next weekend quietly tending to top party donors and political allies at a series of private events in Northern California.

The two-day “issues conference” starts next Friday night with a dinner for roughly 170 guests on the back lawn of Pelosi’s multimillion-dollar home in the fashionable Pacific Heights neighborhood in San Francisco.

The following day, Pelosi will shepherd her guests to a Napa Valley winery with buildings designed by world-famous architect Frank Gehry; the speaker and her husband, investor Paul Pelosi, own a nearby vineyard worth between $5 million and $25 million, according to her annual financial disclosure report.

LASue on August 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

The RNC couldn’t organize a game of solitaire.

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM
They couldn’t walk their way out of a bathroom

blatantblue on August 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM

We can thank ourselves as citizens if this Health Scam is defeated with no help from the RNC. No, and I’m not going ask them for help either!!!

yoda on August 7, 2009 at 6:58 PM

We can always depend on liberals to over-reach once they get power. They will sink their own ship.

Conservative_SAHM on August 7, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Yeah,, this meeting was infiltrated by the people!
50 years in congress??? That’s part of the problem!
Nobody should be 50 freaking years in congress!

JellyToast on August 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Unfortunately the people screaming now are the one’s that put him there for 50 years! That’s a problem too!

xler8bmw on August 7, 2009 at 7:12 PM

With geniuses like Dingleberry and Conyers, I’m shocked, shocked, that Michigan is a collapsing economic black hole.

Ted Torgerson on August 7, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Been in Congress more then 50 years — there’s your problem ma’am!

LifeTrek on August 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM

“Americans would like to see some of the shortfalls in the system fixed, such as the difficulty in getting insured with pre-existing conditions and the lack of interstate competition for coverage plans, but they don’t want government running their health care.”
If you eliminate the pre-existing clauses, there will be no need for insurance until you really need it. Just go without until the big illness strikes and go sign up.

Dasher on August 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM

albill on August 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Bawney Fwank refuses to have town halls, you can request a meeting with the congressman individually, your guess as to whether it’d be granted if you’re not a member of his “Gold Supporters”

Alden Pyle on August 7, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I wonder what the Over/Under on turnout for November, 2010 is…

churchill995 on August 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Dasher on August 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Insurance companies love to cherry-pick younger, healthier patients where the risk of payout is lower than the general population and to exclude older patients with medical histories where the possibility of payout is greater.

Your argument is the “non-starter” that pushes liberals into believing they need to impose government health care rather than demanding a bigger pool of premium payers by eliminating state controls, encouraging competition, allowing associations to band together for medical premium aggregation, and recording accurate costs for reimbursing medical care providers. Insurance companies want to deny claims due to “pre-existing conditions” frequently when, in fact, there is no evidence of such fraud.

So, are you arguing for the single payer “option?”

ExpressoBold on August 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Dinghole: I’ve always done what I thought was best for the people

Translation: STFU you stupid losers. I am way smarter than all of you put together. Time for me to go embezzle more money from the American people.

TechieNotTrekkie on August 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM

50 years?? Yikes! HOw bout term limits?

These elderly congressmen need to retire. Under Obama’s plan he would have been put out to pasture years ago.

becki51758 on August 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Greatest cop out ever, “We’ll put in an amendment”. First where? page 593 of 1017. Second, putting the term “cerebral palsy” meets the promise of putting the citizens concerns into the bill, but contextually, does not require anything to be done to correct the condition/situation.

Sound like manipulation? It is and that is the tool of choice for demoncrates to maintain control over you and the
entire population. If you think this behavior is bad, wait till we see the census rules and who is gathering the information.

Remember, you are constitutionally only required to provide the number of persons residing at the address where the question is are being asked.

MSGTAS on August 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM

. . . 50 years in Congress . . .

Well, there’s your problem right there.

Proud Texan on August 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Dingellberry is a piece of crap.

ronnyraygun on August 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM

roux on August 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM

He, like Stabenow and Levin, hears from us and do what THEY want anyway. 2010/2012 can’t come soon enough.

I love my state and despair over what is happening to her. The liberals are destroying it.

blr2449 on August 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Dinghole: I’ve always done what I thought was best for the people

If that were so this state wouldn’t be in the deplorable condition it is.

blr2449 on August 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM