Video: Democratic congresswoman holds “prayer vigil” on health care

posted at 7:13 pm on August 7, 2009 by Allahpundit

Remind me, which prayer is it that involves ranting about the stimulus bill and demanding single-payer health care? Was that the one Jesus taught the crowd when he gave his sermon on insurance premiums? This sure sounds like a town hall dressed up as a “vigil” in order to discourage protesters from challenging Sanchez — note the conspicuous restrictions placed on the crowd at around 1:10 in the interests of “reverence” — but to believe that, you’d have to believe that Democrats would select venues specifically designed to avoid facing angry dissent from their constituents.

And you don’t believe that, do you?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This woman is in Congress?

God help us all.

David2.0 on August 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Blacksmith8 on August 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM

You have to go to mass EVERY Sunday (and EVERY Holy Day of Obligation). If not, you have committed a “grave sin” are under the condemnation of God facing fiery eternal torment.

Although I have no idea what that has to do with the RCC being a Leftist entity from the top down to its majority support of BHO…?

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Rocks on August 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I didn’t go there until somebody was called a “bigot” for pointing out the RCC’s complicity in leftist activism. I’m not going to let the notion that somehow all those priests and nuns and bishops are somehow not representative of RCism or that they are not “mass-attending” RCs to go unchallenged.

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Here’s where conservatives who are Catholic try to pretend that their church isn’t chock full of leftism starting from the top down.

Too bad… from the “Living Wage” to the moral equivalence with Hamas and Hezbollah to open borders to “Debt Forgiveness” to social programs… etc… the RCC is top-heavy leftist… and you are taught to “submit will and intellect” to both Pope AND bishop in areas of faith and morals on which they clear;y and repeatedly teach (not my rules, but theirs).

Gay marriage and abortion… there endeth the right wing.

[Here is where you start with the "bigot" and "Catholic basher" comments]

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM

No news there, even “conservative” Catholic will admit their Church has taken a hard LEFT turn.
No excommunication of BABY KILLING DEMOCRATS should tell you all you want to know about the Leftist Roman Catholic Church.

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM

How about a Hasn’t-Got-A-Prayer Vigil?
Hs that been suggested yet?

SKYFOX on August 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009

As a Catholic, I cannot explain this, Jeff. I will write to our Bishop as see if he can give me some idea of why this is true, but I won’t hold my breath waiting for a quick reply. Should I get one, I will share it with you. All I can tell you is that my faith is not dependent on the hierarchy of the church upholding doctrinal standards. I can only grieve when they don’t.

SKYFOX on August 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM

as see = and see
Sorry

SKYFOX on August 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009

SKYFOX on August 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM

It doesn’t really matter, marianists/catholics are lost no matter how you slice it.

TTheoLogan on August 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009

SKYFOX on August 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM

No need to defend them. I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic grade & High School.I was the oldest of 5, my dad died when I was 18 and they wouldn’t bury him because we were behind in our “contributions”, I officially left the next year. (Later found out my youngest brother, who has some “problems” may have been a favorite of one of the priests.

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

SKYFOX on August 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM

The hierarchy IS the doctrinal standard (their teaching, not mine).

As for the abortion issue… a bishop issued a warning that RCs who simply vote for pro-Choice candidates are in danger of risking their eternal fate… those who support pro-Choice candidates are warned that they may have already crossed a line and may not be in a position (“state of grace”) to take communion… HOWEVER… the actual pro-Choice politicians and judges themselves are NOT excluded…

It’s all about politics and money.

I officially left the next year.
Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Vatican II – “if anyone willingly leaves or refuses to enter [the Catholic Church]… hence there is no salvation.”

Unless you’re a Muslim, of course (I know the nuance that is Muslim, Hindu, Animist, Atheist double-secret salvation via the RCC [see: Muhammad]… I’m just pointing out a doctrine most RCs don’t know).

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM

It’s all about politics and money.

I officially left the next year.
Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM

My very conservative Lutheran Pastor of my very conservative Lutheran Synod Church tells me he spoke with God and I’m getting into heaven.

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Hey, good luck with that. ;)

mankai on August 8, 2009 at 7:46 PM

three hail barry’s

seven on August 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM

three hail barry’s

seven on August 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM

LOL!

flytier on August 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM

She certainly was intent on repeating “SIX” frequently. I think that is an important part of the satanic worship service.

redwhiteblue on August 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM

During the Spanish Civil War, the Catholic Church told the Carlists that for every red they shot and killed, they would receive a year off of their time in purgatory.

That was before Vatican II.

NoDonkey on August 9, 2009 at 12:37 AM

You can clearly hear the “Yes, we can” slogan (meme? chant?) at the end in both English and Spanish (although the Spanish is slightly clipped, I think).

Sigh. They always give themselves away.

Theophile on August 9, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Two-faced brood of serpents!

You ask for the help of the great healer, while you promote murder for convenience!

You call on the name of the greatest emancipator, after generations of seeking to deny freedom to minorities from handout money, of parents to have their children taught real knowledge and values, of the common citizen to the money he or she has earned with their own effort!

You invoke the maker of all as efforts by the AC-Hell-U and others continue to strip His name and laws from every building in the land, public AND private!

When the great judgement has been said and done there are going to be patriots who will ask to come and pour napalm on your heads while you burn in the lake of fire!

Dark-Star on August 9, 2009 at 7:40 AM

That was before Vatican II.

NoDonkey on August 9, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Hardly. Internationalists (foreign communists) reported seeing the slogan “When you have killed a red, you have one year less to do in purgatory!” in trenches. Not exactly a Church directive. But what has been verified is that at the beginning of the war, the reds invaded the Churches and demanded at gunpoint that priests and nuns renounce Jesus Christ. Hundreds of them chose to die. Nothing like shooting a 90 year old nun who refuses to renounce Christ.

Blake on August 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Oh, and the International Brigades are a good example on how the left has been allowed to rewrite history. They were the biggest bunch of losers. Got themselves and others killed. Had kangaroo courts to court martial and execute fellow American volunteers for petty offenses.

I was laughing the other day because they put up a memorial to the losers in, where else, San Francisco. They were whining that it had been vandalized by the Anarchists. The commies have been vandalizing since Karl Marx but whine when they get it in return. LOL

Blake on August 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Loretta Sanchez, congresswoman, devout Catholic, and baby killer.

Jeff from WI on August 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Jeff from WI on August 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

That is awful. I hope he guys after the guy

CWforFreedom on August 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Isn’t this the same Loretta Sanchez who scheduled a DNC fundraiser at the Playboy Mansion in 2000? And isn’t this the same Loretta Sanchez who was called a “whore” by Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chair Joe Baca?

To which god does she pray?

sinsing on August 9, 2009 at 11:55 AM

To which god does she pray?

sinsing on August 9, 2009 at 11:55 AM

To the god that sprouts horns and a tail.

Jeff from WI on August 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM

From behind the bullet-scarred walls of an ancient fortress, the wail of bagpipes and a thundering bass drum echoed through a plaza in the center of Mexico City.

Passers-by stopped in their tracks. Children craned for a look as a platoon of Mexican bagpipers marched through the gates in tribute to a strange and divisive chapter of Irish-American history. The bagpipers play each month in honor of the St. Patrick Battalion, a group of 600 Irish-American soldiers who switched sides to fight for Mexico in the 1846-1848 Mexican-American War. Mexico lost half its territory to the United States as a result of the war…

“Many of them began to realize that Mexico was a fellow Catholic country that was being invaded and that was really defenseless in the face of the American military superiority,” he said. “So they began switching sides.”

The deserters were led by John Riley, an artilleryman who had previously fought in the British Army. They were joined by a few Swiss, French, Scottish and German recruits, most of them also Catholic. Called los colorados, or “the redheads,” by their Mexican comrades, they fought against the Americans at the key battles of Monterrey, Buenavista and Cerro Gordo.

Imagine if 600 Muslim soldiers had ever deserted to join the enemy in the middle of a war… I don’t think it would be a forgotten bit of US history dismissed as being too old.

JFK addressed the issue because he had to. Formally, Rome teaches that it is superior to the civil government and that its laws supersede civil law. This is why Cardinal Law ignore MA law when he was shifting molesters around Boston… and why Law was whisked away to Rome and given cushy job, thus avoiding US law.

mankai on August 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM

That was before Vatican II.

NoDonkey on August 9, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I’m not sure what the intent is of this comment… but let me use it to illustrate another “rule” in debating Catholics.

Day 1 – Argue that the RCC is the only true church with 2000 years of wisdom and an “unchanging faith.” It is the only church that has the truth and has been protected from error for two millennium. You may then dismiss others as johnny-come-latelies, etc. Tout the “Apostolic Succession” and the primacy and inerrancy of the Papacy.

Day 2 – When somebody quotes “wisdom” from a pope from 50, 80, 100, 150 or even 500 years ago on the very basics of salvation according to the RCC… scoff that anyone would go back “that far” to try and find out what the RCC believes. Make a crack about “before there were lightbulbs” then cling to Vatican II… when Vatican II is quoted (especially the section that fully affirms Councils dating back centuries) you can always use the “bigot” and/or “basher” arguments.

Addendum: It’s OK to quote the Koran or Muhammad from the 7th Century to “expose” what Muslims “really believe,” but if anyone tries to quote, for example, Pius IX or Leo XIII from less than 150 years ago… claim that is just not fair.

mankai on August 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Sounds fishy to me. I just turned her in at flag@whitehouse.org

tballard on August 10, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Ahh…this Loretta Sanchez, she’llroast in hell forever nicely. So will that baby killing priest.

Jeff from WI on August 10, 2009 at 5:11 AM

I wonder if the esteemed lawmaker has enough pentagrams, human wax candles and statues of Beezelbub for her next ‘prayer service’.. It must be a pain having to stay up till midnight for them.

bullseye on August 10, 2009 at 10:36 AM

This was held at a Catholic Church with a democrat who supports abortion. Unbelievable.

jencab on August 7, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I thought the article said it was held in a “Christian Community Center” or something of that sort…I’ll go read it again, but…

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM

jencab on August 7, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Well, you’re right, jencab:

The prayer vigil, held at St. Callistus Catholic Church, was about the national health-care reform package that is being debated now, but also about the loss of health care in California because of the state budget crisis.

It was sponsored by the Orange County Congregation Community Organization, which represents 22 congregations and 50,000 families in seven cities.

No justification for such, just none at all. Except that the inland and North Orange County has high populations of Hispanics and the diocese there seems to practice a more Central American version of Catholicism than it does a Vatican one.

I have no explanation other than to share in your reaction to this event. And Sanchez in a Catholic Church seems to be like the Church entertaining a demon or several of them given her strangely self-gratifying group there.

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:09 PM

mankai on August 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Don’t continue to confuse Catholics with Democrats and Democrats with Catholics. And, the “laws” to which you refer are Biblical and those of the Church, that, among Catholics, instructs us to obey laws in the societies in which we live and to reject Marxism in all varieties.

UNFORTUNATELY, among the Church, there are many Democrats who TRY to present as Catholics while actually supporting nearly any and all things the Church (and the Bible) reject. It is a real and quite horrible problem especially in the U.S. where the political movement by Marxism does not fear Christ nor the Church but does, indeed, mislead others to their peril.

Dodd, Biden, Pelosi, the Kennedys, Kerry, Sebelius, etc…these are Marxists who maintain they are Catholic while they profane the Church instead, are no more Catholic than they are not sinners. Sinners of the most awful kind, unrepentant, misleading of others, profane people representing sin as righteousness.

THAT’s the law of which the Church teaches, Christ’s law, God’s law, a law of morality, not headstrong nuttiness for self-gratifying purposes.

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM

“This set of people are unfortunately acting like JUDAS – Just Undermine Doctrine And Spirituality! Since “God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth that all men be saved” (1 Timothy 2:3), remember that it is your duty to pray for these people so that they may embrace the full Truth of the Catholic Faith! God’s Love, Mercy and Forgiveness are boundless for the repentant sinner.”

Issues: Abortion and Euthanasia

Sen. Joseph Biden (D-DE)

Sr. Mary J. Bujak
Sex Information and Education Council for the United States (SIECUS).

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME)

Sen. Tom Daschle (D-SD)

Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-CT)

Sr. Margretta Dwyer
Sex Information and Education Council for the United States (SIECUS).

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) Catholic politician who votes for abortion in contradiction to Church teachings. One of American Life League’s “Deadly Dozen.”

Joan Harriman
National Organization for Women member who founded Catholics for a Free Choice.

Mary Hunt
Sex Information and Education Council for the United States (SIECUS).

Bishop Franz Kamphaus
German bishop in Frankfurt who, in direct defiance to cease and desist orders from the Vatican, offers counseling certificates to pregnant women who can use said certificates to obtain abortions.

Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA)

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA)
Catholic politician, currently running for president in the Democratic party (of death) who votes for abortion in contradiction to Church teachings. One of American Life League’s “Deadly Dozen.”

Fr. Arthur L. Kinsella
Sex Information and Education Council for the United States (SIECUS).

Frances Kissling
President of Catholics for a Free Choice.

Sr. Marie A. Kopin
Sex Information and Education Council for the United States (SIECUS).

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA)

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT)

Daniel C. Maguire
Teaches at Marquette University. Justifies abortion by saying “when the woman consents to the pregnancy … God then infuses a soul into the body,” thereby implying that killing the “fetus” is not killing a person.

Patricia Fogarty McQuillan
National Organization for Women member who founded Catholics for a Free Choice.

Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)

Meta Mulcahy
National Organization for Women member who founded Catholics for a Free Choice.

Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA)

Jon O’Brien
Catholics for a Free Choice.

Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI)
American Life League’s “Deadly Dozen.”

Denise Riley
Catholics for a Free Choice.

Elisabeth Schussler-Fiorenza
Sex Information and Education Council for the United States (SIECUS).

…list continues, unfortunately, and adding Loretta Sanchez (among others) is reasonable.

Praying for these individuals and others like them (Sebelius, Sanchez, added) is very difficult for me to do. I think that’s also a product of their profound sin, that there’s this extreme difficulty in even praying for their sins and their depraved contradictions.

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Not to overlook the depravity of Nancy Pelosi’s situation, either…

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM

This woman is in Congress?

God help us all.

David2.0 on August 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Amen… Why is it that supporters of this monstrosity – this congresswoman included – talk about reduction in the cost of healthcare as the justification for doing this, but cannot tell anyone what costs are removed from the system or treatment of individuals. They seem to think we’ll believe that treating more patients spreads the cost but if it costs, say, $10 for services A, B & C now and you make services A, B & C available to everyone the total cost becomes $10 X EVERYONE… The only way to reduce costs in that model is to treat them with less (A or B or C or None.. a/k/a, rationing)

sacfly on August 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM

If a bishop can warn RCs who merely vote for these people (the politicians listed) and warn them that they may not therefore be in a state of grace to receive communion… why not just prohibit the politicians themselves from receiving communion?

And if abortion and its support are akin to “cooperation with evil” why the lack of reaction? You know why… the RCC would rather spend its time condemning Israel and frightening its flock than actually being consistent… because they are scared that actual ACTION would fracture their cash cow… American Catholics.

mankai on August 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Lourdes on August 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Further… the bishop warned that merely voting Pro-Choice would mean that a Catholic was risking his eternal fate… why not go ahead and ex-communicate the politicians themselves?

See answer above…

I would say, “Give consideration to your eternal salvation.” Because to vote for a person who has expressed a fanatical determination to not only support abortion as it exists now but to remove all limitations on it through the Freedom of Choice Act, and to extend it without any recourse, throwing out all of the efforts of citizens over the last 35 years to place reasonable limits on abortion, that voting for a person who has expressed his determination to do this to Planned Parenthood, to NARAL — that you make yourself a participant in the act of abortion. That’s gravely wrong, and you mustn’t do it because your eternal salvation is tied up in that important choice.

mankai on August 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Lourdes,
Thank you for your reasoning and understanding. Sometimes I let the ill-formed thoughts of others cloud my judgment. Know this for yourself. Your light should burn a little brighter with the hope that you are leading me back from the darkness to the narrow way.
Thanks again,