Obama: “I don’t want the folks who created the mess to do a lot of talking”

posted at 1:33 pm on August 7, 2009 by Allahpundit

Can you blame him? You’re racists, you’re Nazis, and you’re political terrorists. Why should he listen?

Memo to The One from Peggy Noonan: “You are terrifying us.”

What the town-hall meetings represent is a feeling of rebellion, an uprising against change they do not believe in. And the Democratic response has been stunningly crude and aggressive. It has been to attack. Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the United States House of Representatives, accused the people at the meetings of “carrying swastikas and symbols like that.” (Apparently one protester held a hand-lettered sign with a “no” slash over a swastika.) But they are not Nazis, they’re Americans. Some of them looked like they’d actually spent some time fighting Nazis…

All of this is unnecessarily and unhelpfully divisive and provocative. They are mocking and menacing concerned citizens. This only makes a hot situation hotter. Is this what the president wants? It couldn’t be. But then in an odd way he sometimes seems not to have fully absorbed the awesome stature of his office. You really, if you’re president, can’t call an individual American stupid, if for no other reason than that you’re too big. You cannot allow your allies to call people protesting a health-care plan “extremists” and “right wing,” or bought, or Nazi-like, either. They’re citizens. They’re concerned. They deserve respect.

Like Ace says: It is breathtaking.

Update (Ed): Maybe Obama should listen to his Secretary of State’s words from 2003:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Knock it off with the civil war crap. Any calls for violence will get you banned.

Allahpundit on August 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM

So, AP, did you ban Obama yet?

fossten on August 8, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Anne Wortham is Associate Professor of Sociology at Illinois State University and continuing Visiting Scholar at Stanford University ‘s Hoover Institution. She is a member of the American Sociological Association and the American Philosophical Association. She has been a John M. Olin Foundation Faculty Fellow, and honored as a Distinguished Alumni of the Year by the National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education. In fall 1988, she was one of a select group of intellectuals who were featured in Bill Moyer’s television series, “A World of Ideas.” The transcript of her conversation with Moyers has been published in his book, A World of Ideas. Dr. Wortham is author of “The Other Side of Racism: A Philosophical Study of Black Race Consciousness” which analyzes how race consciousness is transformed into political strategies and policy issues.

Fellow Americans,

Please know: I am Black; I grew up in the segregated South. I did not vote for Barack Obama; I wrote in Ron Paul’s name as my choice for president. Most importantly, I am not race conscious. I do not require a Black president to know that I am a person of worth, and that life is worth living. I do not require a Black president to love the ideal of America .

I cannot join you in your celebration. I feel no elation. There is no smile on my face. I am not jumping with joy. There are no tears of triumph in my eyes. For such emotions and behavior to come from me, I would have to deny all that I know about the requirements of human flourishing and survival – all that I know about the history of the United States of America, all that I know about American race relations, and all that I know about Barack Obama as a politician. I would have to deny the nature of the “change” that Obama asserts has come to America .

Most importantly, I would have to abnegate my certain understanding that you have chosen to sprint down the road to serfdom that we have been on for over a century. I would have to pretend that individual liberty has no value for the success of a human life. I would have to evade your rejection of the slender reed of capitalism on which your success and mine depend. I would have to think it somehow rational that 94 percent of the 12 million Blacks in this country voted for a man because he looks like them (that Blacks are permitted to play the race card), and that they were joined by self-declared “progressive” whites who voted for him because he doesn’t look like them.

I would have to wipe my mind clean of all that I know about the kind of people who have advised and taught Barack Obama and will fill posts in his administration – political intellectuals like my former colleagues at the Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government.

I would have to believe that “fairness” is equivalent of justice. I would have to believe that man who asks me to “go forward in a new spirit of service, in a new service of sacrifice” is speaking in my interest.. I would have to accept the premise of a man that economic prosperity comes from the “bottom up,” and who arrogantly believes that he can will it into existence by the use of government force. I would have to admire a man who thinks the standard of living of the masses can be improved by destroying the most productive and the generators of wealth.

Finally, Americans, I would have to erase from my consciousness the scene of 125,000 screaming, crying, cheering people in Grant Park, Chicago irrationally chanting “Yes We Can!” Finally, I would have to wipe all memory of all the times I have heard politicians, pundits, journalists, editorialists, bloggers and intellectuals declare that capitalism is dead – and no one, including especially Alan Greenspan, objected to their assumption that the particular version of the anti-capitalistic mentality that they want to replace with their own version of anti-capitalism is anything remotely equivalent to capitalism.

So, you have made history, Americans. You and your children have elected a Black man to the office of the president of the United States , the wounded giant of the world. The battle between John Wayne and Jane Fonda is over – and that Fonda won. Eugene McCarthy and George McGovern must be very happy men. Jimmie Carter, too. And the Kennedys have at last gotten their Kennedy look-a-like. The self-righteous welfare statists in the suburbs can feel warm moments of satisfaction for having elected a Black person.

So, toast yourselves: 60s countercultural radicals, 80s yuppies and 90s bourgeois bohemians. Toast yourselves, Black America . Shout your glee Harvard, Princeton , Yale, Duke, Stanford, and Berkeley. You have elected not an individual who is qualified to be president, but a Black man who, like the pragmatist Franklin Roosevelt, promises to – Do Something! You now have someone who has picked up the baton of Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society. But you have also foolishly traded your freedom and mine – what little there is left – for the chance to feel good.
There is nothing in me that can share your happy obliviousness.=

Keemo on August 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Allahpundit on August 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I must be retarded; I didn’t read anything written about starting a civil war… I did read pieces written about a President who is promoting violence between citizens.

The information provided within this thread, specifically by the community members, is absolutely fabulous. The quotes, the links, the comments; fabulous. This is what makes blogging so special, so worthy.

Keemo on August 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM

From Powerlineblog.com

Americans of all stripes are asking legitimate questions about the Democrats’ move toward an unprecedented takeover of our health care system. Despite the peaceful expressions of resistance to the takeover occurring around the country, the Obama administration and its congressional supporters such as Nancy Pelosi have used their offices to stigmatize citizens exercising their right to petition their elected representatives.

Condemning these citizens as mobs, the Obama administration apparently seek to prepare the public for the cracking of heads we have seen by administration supporters at townhall events this week. While Obama supporters dispatched union thugs to act like brownshirts of yore, Obama’s minions at the DNC released a statement yesterday announcing its “REACTION [sic] to the [purported] use of Nazi symbolism from the right wing.” Among the alleged malefactors accused by the DNC of fomenting Nazism was House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, the House’s only Jewish Republican.

Thus speaks DNC spokesman Hari Sevugan: “It’s disgusting that rather than condemning this hate filled symbolism and mob activity, the highest echelons of the Republican party from Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on down, are encouraging it — and that the likes of Michael Steele and Eric Cantor are fanning the flames of this is reprehensible.” Sevugan alleges that Rep. Cantor et al. are responsible for the “repeated use of Nazi symbolism at community meetings by the Republican incited mob…” What a crock, all the way around.

Sevugan’s expertise in Nazi symbolism, incidentally, does not extend to Hitler’s first name. He misspells it “Adolph.”

We sought a response to the DNC statement from Rep. Cantor, but it turns out he could not be reached for comment. He was touring the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem at the same moment that the DNC was defaming him at home. If there is anyone with a sense of decency among the powers that be among the Democrats, he should secure an apology from the DNC to Rep. Cantor.

A pretty fair assessment of the situation I’d say..

Keemo on August 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM

If you must opposition to an idea, and cannot counter that idea with cogent, compelling and convincing argument, then there is something wrong with the idea, not those who oppose.

Turfing is an insult, and people know it. It is simultaneously dishonest, and is based on the premise that adults cannot see through spin. That might have been the case prior to the mass availability of the blogosphere. It’s not longer the case.

Ironically, The Messiah’s hip crowd resorts to the use of what is now an anachronism: turfing. Wake up Axelrod. The blogosphere ensures that the sheep pen has big windows.

shaken on August 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Ach, even with preview, I can still blow a sentence!

Should be ‘If you must muzzle opposition to an idea…’

shaken on August 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM

“I don’t want the folks who created the mess to do a lot of talking; I don’t mind cleaning up the mess, just don’t do a lot of talking”

And yet he is willing to sit down with unconditional TALKS with Iran dictators…

TN Mom on August 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Allahpundit on August 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM

To politely butt in where I have no place really, I just wanted to point out this link today.

WashingtonsWake on August 8, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I haven’t read all the comments, so I’m sure I’m being slightly redundant – the ones that created this mess, in large part are democrat legislators, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi and her henchmen To blame the Bush admin for the last couple of budgets or the laws created 15 years ago that led to the construction of an economic house of cards, is really a lie. Interestingly, Obama was in the Senate – with the majority – and had opportunity to push a budget that would have addressed a lot of this mess before it exploded.. so he has ownership of a lot of this mess too. Therefore Obama should shut up and get out of the way while someone qualified fixes the mess. (please don’t ask me who that is)

WashingtonsWake on August 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Official resistance theme song

Sugarbuzz on August 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM

“I don’t want the folks who created the mess to do a lot of talking”

So, Obama is going to muzzle Pelosi, Waxman, Reid and, of course, Barney Frank?

coldwarrior on August 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Today, Glen Beck suggested Googling all Obama’s health care advisors who are connected with eugenics. I haven’t done so but there must be a reason it was suggested. Zeke Emanuel sure sounds like one.

a capella on August 7, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I’ve been doing that myself and it’s more than a little freaky coincidence. And yes, Zeke, Rahm’s brother sure sounds like one to me as well.

4shoes on August 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Obama soooo wants to be a dictator. Democracy is such a nuisance to him.

jediwebdude on August 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I was always taught, when the time for talking ends..it’s time for action. He better hope we keep talking.

MichiganMatt on August 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Questions:
Wasn’t he one of the ‘folks who created the mess’? Wasn’t his party in control of both houses of Congress while ‘the mess’ was being created?
Didn’t he and his fellow liberals fight every attempt at reform proposed by President Bush, thereby compounding ‘the mess’?
Aren’t most of his fellow Congressmen who are responsible the very same ones who are creating policy and quickly turning ‘the mess’ into a disaster?
Did the President of the United States actually say he doesn’t want to hear from others who don’t agree with him? That he doesn’t want to know facts which refute statements he has widely made? That he will make decisions without hearing ideas of others and refuse to listen to any opposing point of view? What country does he think we live in? Which Constitution does he think defines The United States of America?

maryo on August 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM

“FIGHTING BACK”????

YOU IDIOT, YOU HAVE THE PRESIDENT, THE HOUSE, THE SENATE, ABC NBC CBS CNN MSNBC NPR PBS.

WE HAVE EX-GOV PALIN, RUSH, AND 2.5 HOURS A NIGHT ON FOXNEWS

YOU CONTROL EVERYTHING! YOU COULD PASS HEALTHCARE T-O-D-A-Y BUT YOU WONT BECAUSE YOU NEED “REPUBLICAN COVER”. YOU IDIOTS ARE IN POWER 100%….. BUT ARE SUCH COWARDS YOU WONT PASS AS MUCH AS A NEW ELVIS POSTAGE STAMP!!!!!!!

STFU!

battleoflepanto1571 on August 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Comment of the day.

alliebobbitt on August 8, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Kathy Porker
Piggy Baffoonan
David Crumb

These clown have got to be in extreme emotional pain, the kind that causes psychotic disorders due to unresolved conflicts in the mind.

Too bad there is no cure. We tried to warn them.

Geochelone on August 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM

And yet he is willing to sit down with unconditional TALKS with Iran dictators…

TN Mom on August 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Maybe he finds them reasonable and accomodating on the issues they share. Just a hunch but I am guessing his enemies list does not include the usual tyrants

His biggest enemy seems to be opponents of his agenda. Posse comitatus and a volunteer military have forced him to send in the Pelosi Brigade and the 3rd armored unit of the SEIU. War is ugly but necessary

entagor on August 9, 2009 at 12:04 PM

“FIGHTING BACK”????

WE HAVE EX-GOV PALIN, RUSH, AND 2.5 HOURS A NIGHT ON FOXNEWS

STFU!

battleoflepanto1571 on August 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Comment of the day.

alliebobbitt on August 8, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Comment of the month!

Blacksmith8 on August 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Obama appears to be a narcissist.

Sam Vaknin is considered by many as the world’s renowned expert on Narcissism. He is the author of the book, “Malignant Self Love – Narcissism Revisited”. He states that after spending over a thousand hours of watching and analyzing tapes and videos of Barack Hussein Obama, examining his body language, his gestures and speeches that Obama demonstrates that he suffers from NPD, or ‘narcissistic personality disorder’. Narcissists are people who project a grandiose but false image of themselves. They can be and often are, dangerous people.

elvis on August 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM

elvis on August 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM

And water is wet.

Obama is so stinkin’ transparent…yet, the obvious is being wither willfully ignored by most Americans, so far, or being covered over by a fawning adoring press, both afraid of being seen as somehow racist.

I’m judging Obama on his actions, pure and simple, and I do not like what I have been seeing, not one single bit.

coldwarrior on August 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM