St. Louis town hall: Protesters locked out while SEIU is admitted? Update: “These Members need cover”

posted at 9:59 pm on August 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

Jim Hoft was there and claims that’s exactly what happened. Funny coincidence: Some people at the town hall in Tampa where the fight broke out saw a curiously large number of SEIU people there, too.

SEIU & Castor organize a townhall and announce it at the last minute as to reduce opposition voices. The townhall was packed 1/2 w SEIU people.

When supporters of healthcare freedom (ie, anti-BigGovHealth demonstrators) were prevented access to the townhall they began to shout, bang windows & doors.

Normally I’d be skeptical that this is as bad as it looks — maybe the SEIU guys were staffing the event or maybe they’d already been admitted and had stepped outside for something — but if Rachel Maddow and Think Progress don’t care what’s true and what’s not, why should I? Go ahead and assume the worst. The left certainly would. Click the image to watch.

Update: Amanda Carpenter e-mails to point me to Health Care for America Now’s playbook on how to counter conservative protesters at town halls. The money bit:

Another one of Ms. Jorge’s tips is to “Address the [member of Congress] directly with a positive message: Remember, these Members need cover and they are getting beaten up by right wing zealots in these meetings.”

HCAN Communications Director Jacki Schechner said protecting elected officials who support their favored reforms was necessary given the contentious nature of some town-hall meetings.

Ms. Schechner said conservatives are baiting lawmakers into holding town-hall meetings, “so [lawmakers] can get yelled at and they don’t want to feel unsafe and uncomfortable.”

Stacking the audience with friendly SEIU members in lieu of ObamaCare naysayers surely qualifies as providing “cover.” Fun fact: One of the organizations on HCAN’s steering committee is, you guessed it, SEIU.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Could there be a better metaphor for the DNC and democrat policies in gereral than this…. Shutting out the voters and letting the union in the side door.

Spider79 on August 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Not sure if this was from last night’s Carnahan thugfest; he’s had two other forums in the last few weeks. The sight of blue-haired old ladies and crotchety old men is truly scary to behold…

Tongueboy on August 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I was at this event as well. These pics are from the Claire McCaskill town hall event in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. Claire wasn’t there, but one of her staffers listened to questions and told us she would take our “concerns” back to Claire.

Scary, radical mob, right?

labwriter on August 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I’m sure these unionthugs comprehend the subtilties of this incomprehensible bill as well as anyone.

Akzed on August 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

From a commit at Ace….

Am I the only one who can see Union thugs rationing you out the door of your doctor’s office (for the greater good) under ObamaCare?

Farmer62 on August 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

The sword of the state has now been drawn to shed the blood of the citizen.

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 10:37 AM

There will be blood at some point.

Mark my words.

bluelightbrigade on August 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Bambi has declared war against the very individuals who will fund his socialistic schemes. Dissent is now considered racist. How soon before we are branded traitors to the country with steps taken to shackle us that are far worse than shutting us out of meeting houses.

Buck Ofama. Let the good fight begin in earnest.

yobobbyb on August 7, 2009 at 10:56 AM

bluelightbrigade on August 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I hope not but help us all if the person or persons injured do not have health insurance. If not they will become Barry’s new poster child.

Brat on August 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM

My congressman hasn’t even scheduled a town hall yet. I guess that’s another way of dealing with the peasants.

WannabeAnglican on August 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM

WannabeAnglican on August 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM

So–hold your own townhall meeting. Make a cardboard lifesize cutout of your congressperson, stand it up in the front of the room–then, invite 10 of your fellow citizens over and respectfully and civilly pepper him/her with direct questions about it. Lecture him on the constitution and freedom, videotape the whole thing, then post it on YouTube with the disclaimer that your congressman didn’t have the courage to respect your right to assemble and have a redress of your grievances.

boom–problem fixed.

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 11:13 AM

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 11:13 AM

They’ll also need some door blockers.

LibTired on August 7, 2009 at 11:15 AM

The Ronin Edge on August 7, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Ill stick with my Desert Eagle .50AE on my hip… tends to draw more attention than the wimpy 1911 :)

Wolftech on August 7, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Pelayo on August 7, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Well, YouTube is owned by Google and the Google CEO and 0bama are buddies so its not hard to do the math on that one…

Wolftech on August 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Now their using a secret schedule so the public does not know when the townhalls will be held,

ConservativePartyNow on August 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Denying the people access to their elected representatives is dangerous. Lack of Representation was one of the rallying cries that led to the signing of a document in 1776.

Do they really want to go down this route?

Pelayo on August 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Michelle Malking put up a link to “I AM MOB” it’s great check out the links.

Dr Evil on August 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

..the POTUS “behaved stupidly”.

VoyskaPVO on August 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM

A relative of mine is one of the vice-presidents of the Teamsters (I won’t say which region). Before the election, he told me, obviously, that the Teamsters were backing Obama over McCain. I told him that I thought Obama was to inexperienced to be president. He agreed, then he added, “but Obama mad a lot of promises to us”.
These “promises” explain a lot of what’s going on right now.

76United on August 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

This may be of interest, a black conservative is assaulted:

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Buck Ofama

Very clever. I really like it.

Mr. Grump on August 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM

IMHO…What we are seeing is such an outcry of pentup anger over everything that has been happening over the past few years, this year in particular. It’s as if this healthcare issue is the ‘straw that broke the camels back’ if you will. People are so fed up with government intruding into every aspect of our lives that they are saying ‘I’m mad as hell and I’m not taking it anymore’!

Had our ‘elected officials’ spent more time actually paying attention to those who voted them into office TO REPRESENT US I truly don’t believe we’d be seeing such an outcry. Unfortunately, they, the elected, are too above us to even consider that they need to actually listen to their constituents who brought them there.

lyfsatrip on August 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM

When Hillary criticized Obama, sotto voce, Susan Rice immediately came out and said that no such diversity of thought existed in the White House the speaks with ONE VOICE.

Note the “ONE VOICE” T-shirt on the big black woman, front seat, who stands, turning around to verbally abuse and wave her arms to threaten those people sitting behind her who happen to be white citizen taxpayers.

Watching union mobster members abusing citizens at Townhall meetings removes any desire on my part to ever help them as individual people.

Given hard times, when the unions strike, I hope they get busted wide open, gutted by “right to work” American citizens.

Speaking of union strikes meant to harm citizens, the Honduran health care workers are all on strike until Zelaya is re-instated as President. Soldiers are the hope of the hospital patients left to die by those who took the oath to “do no harm” in the medical profession.

maverick muse on August 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM

These “promises” explain a lot of what’s going on right now.

76United on August 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Your relative would sell his 7 year old daughter as a prostitute if the Teamsters told him to do it. They are TRAITORS.

Jeff from WI on August 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

“Buck Ofama”

Very clever. I really like it.

Mr. Grump on August 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM

He deserves that, as it was Obama who demands that we buck up.

maverick muse on August 7, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Michael Savage coined another choice last night:

Obatomy

Obatomize

maverick muse on August 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Methaphor

You know the commercial with the gecko and big wig of Geico and the big wig is asking the gecko to “trust him” as he falls backwards and the gecko is to catch him? That’s how I feel with all the government actions that are being forced upon us. Just like the gecko, there is no way we can ‘catch it’ and be safe and secure. A big old splat!

lyfsatrip on August 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM

“There was a telling incident at a town hall held by Representative Gene Green, D-Tex. An activist turned to his fellow attendees and asked if they “oppose any form of socialized or government-run health care.” Nearly all did. Then Representative Green asked how many of those present were on Medicare. Almost half raised their hands.”

greggish on August 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I saw the video of Mr. Gladney getting scuffed up by the Obama Thugz Brigade.

We might as well erect a granite monument at the site of that attack because it is going to commemorate the fight “heard ’round the world.”

It is fitting that it occurred outside a school. Students will one day flock to that site from other places. Speeches will be given there commemorating the rights of free citizens to freely assemble and have their voices heard. Commemorating the liberation from tyranny.

Obama’s presidency is over. Mark my words and flag them. We did not fight WWI, WWII, the Cold War, Vietnam and others to take this crap. We can get other presidents–they’re obviously cheap–his father didn’t want him, his mother didn’t want him, now we don’t want him. We need men and women of character and faith in that office–when we don’t have that, then we have union thugz on the street, assaulting citizens. What’s next, Stryker vehicles on patrol in St. Louis?

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM

SEIU + Obama = Communist

TrickyDick on August 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Patrick Murtha… er I mean Murphy in SE PA is going to be speaking at the Lower Bucks Chamber perc breakfast. This was a last minute switcheroo of tocpics

What I suspect is that these insects are trying to find places where they can crawl out of their rock and be in a less open to the public, more controlled environment.

Keep an eye out for this folks. I’m hoping I can get there. If so, I’ll try to report what happened.

As far as the thuggery, we need to slap some of these dirtballs with multi million dollar lawsuits. Also, if it occurs where the local DA is still honest, I suppose the tactics of union thuggery might come under RICO.

Of course, it won’t do any good to name Obama as a co conspirator because any claim coming to SCROTUNS now will be heard by a wise latino woman.

bullseye on August 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I saw the video of Mr. Gladney getting scuffed up by the Obama Thugz Brigade.

ted c on August 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Was he the stage four cancer victim?? The guy and his wife were on Rush today. If so, they ought to file a megaton size lawsuit against the union and push for RICO charges.

bullseye on August 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM

We have a lot of union halls in our area. I’ve noticed that many of them seem to be built like a mini-fortress. ie

- Clear areas all around
- Little or no windows
- One point of entry
- Brick or cinder block construction

Gee it might be tinfoil hat time but now I’m beginning to think that there might be a reason for what I’ve observed. Or maybe it’s just to make it harder to record those envelopes of hundred dollar bills being handed out to the politicians.

bullseye on August 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Admittedly I haven’t read all the posts and …
I’m trying to find the link for the alleged/SARC violence that occurred at this seiu rally…
Any help would be appreciated…

jerrytbg on August 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Nevermind I found it…It’s getting ugly...

jerrytbg on August 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM

This administration is making ME feel “unsafe and uncomfortable”. Perhaps if the lawmakers would like to feel safe, they can step back from the brink of shattering America.

ej_pez on August 7, 2009 at 4:17 PM

SEIU + Obama = Communist

TrickyDick on August 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM

You + half a brain = Schmuck with half a brain

greggish on August 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM

You + half a brain = Schmuck with half a brain

greggish on August 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Oh Greggish! You’re such a savage I bet the boys just flock around you.

Mr. Grump on August 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Oh Greggish! You’re such a savage I bet the boys just flock around you.

Mr. Grump on August 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Straight to the gay joke. Classy.

greggish on August 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

You + half a brain = Schmuck with half a brain

greggish on August 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Wow, that was clever. Now make sure you finish your homework before homeroom tomorrow.

fossten on August 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Straight to the gay joke. Classy.

greggish on August 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Touched a nerve there eh Greggie?

Mr. Grump on August 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Labor Unions are for weak people who can’t stand-up for their own lives. They are nothing more than Money Pools for Organized Crime, and Democrats. Same thing I guess. Kinda’ ironic and hypocritical that they refer to the rest of us as “Mobs”.

ronnyraygun on August 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Spider79 on August 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM

It is such a beautiful thing when Democrats act like themselves and step in it over and over again for the all world to see.

Geochelone on August 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM