Video: Hoyer’s townhall roiled by well-dressed sophisticates

posted at 2:15 pm on August 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier, a video of Barbara Boxer dismissed protesters at town-hall meetings as obvious fakes because, as Boxer explained, they’re too well-dressed to be sincerely angry about health care. The College Politico has an answer in this clip from Steny Hoyer’s attempt to pontificate to a hostile and casually-attired crowd.  The older voters in this row wear shorts, t-shirts, and apparently Democratic Party registration cards:

The gentleman with the obviously-expensive cap gets the zinger of the day by challenging Hoyer on how Congress could try to force the takeover of the American health-care industry in roughly a fifth of the time it took Barack Obama to pick out a dog for his kids.  Instead of answering, Hoyer goes into a long dissertation about the Erie Canal, and how naysayers probably existed back then as well.

The Erie Canal?  That’s the best Hoyer can do?  The canal was built in 1825.  Maybe Hoyer remembers it personally, but for voters everywhere and especially the ones arrayed in front of him in this clip, it’s about as relevant as the Bering ice bridge.  Sticking with that, though, the Erie Canal project was just that — a project with a start, a middle, and an end.  The federal government didn’t have anything to do with the Erie Canal, either; it was built by the state of New York after President Thomas Jefferson rejected the idea as “little short of madness”.  It initially cost $7 million, and paid off well — for the state of New York.

Why would Hoyer expect people in Maryland to feel affectionate about a canal that has nothing to do with them?  If this is the best example Hoyer can dredge to the surface, his Maryland voters may get an eerie feeling that Hoyer doesn’t intend at all.

TCP has a channel dedicated to videos of town-hall protests here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Almost Certain Leftist BS Alert, claiming that an unspecified “freshman congressman” was “physically assaulted” at some unspecified place by a healthcare protestor:

Note that the story, oddly, never names the purported “victim” of said assault. Note, too, that there’s absolutely no news story anywhere online, as of this writing, confirming either the so-called “assault,” nor any arrest for same. (… and surely, publicly assaulting a congresscritter, in broad daylight, would be all sorts of newsworthy…) ;)

Just a quick heads-up, as I expect this is meant to go viral.

Kent18 on August 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Congressman Conolly’s office – said they have no idea what you are talking about & “would like to know themselves”.

batterup on August 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Hoyer: “You know, there were people who thought that letting Charles II return to the English throne would transform Britain into a Catholic nation. They were wrong! Get with teh program people!”

Rightwingguy on August 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Congressman Conolly’s office [...] “would like to know themselves”.

Hence the large “BS Label,” prominently affixed. ;)

Kent18 on August 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Typical moronic congressman. He want’s to build the Erie Canal when we already have the NYS Thruway.

Dusty on August 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Steny Hoyer is same stinking political type as Joe Biden. If you didn’t catch the arrogant “I know better than you, I have the facts and you don’t, I love this country and you don’t, I’ve been at this business a long time,” then you had the sound off.

TERM LIMITS. Too bad the good have to go out with the incompetent, venal liars but the registered Democrat does know a liar when sees one.

TERM LIMITS!!!!! And we, the American people, want to vote on this issue to promote it or kill it.

ExpressoBold on August 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Health care being a classic case of government bureaucracy gone wild, Hoyer really should have used the bewitching name that 20th Century politicians gave the Erie, the New York State Barge Canal. That’s a name that sounds just about as lovely as Obama’s health care program.

jon1979 on August 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM

So are you guys proud of this? These people have a chance to speak to a lawmaker and they just interrupt him and call him names? I mean, dont get me wrong – there are certainly people on the left who would act just as foolishly. But I wouldnt be proud of them.

orange on August 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Oh, but we are proud. Very proud. They seem to be good judges of character.

BetseyRoss on August 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Orange…Orange

Are you freakin kidding me?? It brings tears of joy to my eyes and warms my heart to see true blue American citizens FINALLY standing up for their rights. This should have happened months ago and we wouldn’t be in this mess. At least they didn’t wait until it was to late to do it…

YES, I AM PROUD OF WE THE PEOPLE FINALLY BEING WE THE PEOPLE…

Ltlgeneral64 on August 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Hey Steny! Better polish up that resume. You may be needing it!

GarandFan on August 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I have had the experience of doing market research during election years. I can tell you there are many good, good people, salt of the earth types, that have worked hard, and paid taxes, and voted Democrat because of the insidious lies that the MSM still touts on full blast, that the Democrats are the party of the working man.

They don’t see the lie, because they just watch the news and read their papers, but something like this will wake them up. I just hope it is enough

Noelie on August 5, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Hoyer looks like a broken down alcoholic who knows his whole life has been a joke, Willy Loman.

tessa on August 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I’ve been voting against Hoyer for 24 years, he’s not going anywhere, damn shame, he’s a tool! I live in the land of the libtard, substance is not important, just the D, or R at the end of your name. It is a shame, but that is the state I’m in. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG!

M-14 2go on August 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM

M-14 2go on August 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I feel your pain. We lived in his district for way too long, but that was where the job was. We did move away up to Columbia and were stuck with Ben Cardin for all of our time there. Finally retired and moved to VA. Right this red hot minute it isn’t so good, but at least our Rep is a good solid Conservative.

BetseyRoss on August 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM

When the Democrats will not have a reasonable discussion, what other options are there? And yes I am proud to see Americans exercising their first amendement rights.

Obama’s jesters need to understand they’re Americans first, Democrats second.

jack herman on August 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM

LIAR

BigMike252 on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 PM

M-14 2go on August 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hey, at least you don’t have boxhead and sweinstein for senators! aaaaggghhhhhh! Life in hte PRK!

Fighton03 on August 6, 2009 at 1:33 AM

M-14 2go on August 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM

So where in Maryland are you? I’m a former resident of PG County, and my Mom lives in College Park. Unfortunately, she’s one of those voters who always looks for the D at the end of the name because “the Republicans are just for the rich people”.

Fighton03 on August 6, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Believe me, Maryland’s two Senators aren’t far behind.

Red State State of Mind on August 6, 2009 at 6:43 AM

While I pray for my salvation every day, I must also pray for this poor souls, as surely by being a Democrat, he’s going to hell.

Jeff from WI on August 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Hoter’s Eire Canal dodge was probably intended for his NY audience as he also had a Townhall in NY on his recess agenda.

Show how committed he is to MD, Not!

4Bear on August 6, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Can we honor the Erie Canal by lining it with Democrat politicians?

Hoyer first.

NoDonkey on August 6, 2009 at 8:43 AM

In South Carolina we built canals when we should have been building railroads. FAIL

tmitsss on August 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I’m late to the post… but as a conservative Maryland voter, two things spring to mind: 1) this state has become no different than Kalifornia or New York and is as socialist as they get, and 2) Hoyer is a tool who did not HEAR or LISTEN to a single word from voters. I hope and pray that he and his ilk pay the price for it. The bulk of Maryland’s constituency is conservative BUT the Demoncraps buy their votes in Baltimore, PG County and Montgomery County – the libtard, lazy, ne’er do well havens that rival those on both coasts.

HomeoftheBrave on August 6, 2009 at 11:29 AM