Boxer: Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

posted at 10:55 am on August 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) appeared on Hardball last night in support of the Left’s attempt to discredit the people showing up to townhalls in protest of ObamaCare. Boxer says she can tell that they’re fakes, because they’re too well dressed.  How does she know that this is a problem?  Because well-dressed people apparently told her to get the hell out of Florida in the Bush-Gore recount, too:

That explanation is a classic.  If it’s true at all, she probably stunned the Floridians with the sheer stupidity of her non-sequitur.  Ronald Reagan would not have gone into Florida to tell them how to conduct their recount; he had too much respect for state sovereignty in those issues.  I almost laughed out loud when Boxer trotted that out on national TV.

On her main point, we’ve hosted the videos here at Hot Air.  In my recollection, the people in the town halls are dressed in T-shirts, jeans, shorts, halter tops, and the like.  Maybe the people need to strip down to their Boxers in order to be considered sincere.

Brian Walsh, communications director of the NRSC, responds to Boxer’s weird bout of sartorial paranoia:

“When you consider that Barbara Boxer considers Code Pink and MoveOn.org protestors to be ‘her base,’ it’s understandable that a Senator representing the left wing fringe would be confused when ordinary Americans engage in free speech. But the fact of the matter is that across the country, Americans of all backgrounds are standing up and saying ‘no’ to the Democrats spending and health-care takeover proposals.”

And Americans of all clothing tastes as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Why are we seeing so much of this douche nozzle lately?

Within the past few weeks we’ve seen her demand that a General call her Senator, wonder why a black guy doesn’t like her energy policy (even though she has a recommendation from the NAACP), and now she’s the host of “What Not to Wear – Protest Edition”?

I liked it better when I had no idea what she looked like…

jana on August 5, 2009 at 2:25 PM

yobobbyb on August 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM

That Castro Street Fair raises profound questions:

If we did ole Barb up as the Joker, she might be even more popular.

What is MSNBC and the rest complaining about regarding the version of Dear Leader made up like the Joker? He would fit right in at that fair.

IlikedAUH2O on August 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Hey Porsche named a car after her, so she must be something. I imagine an ancestor put the family tag on men’s briefs.

IlikedAUH2O on August 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM

She wears too much makeup to be a real woman!

Frances on August 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Bab’s glamour shot pic.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

…as the white Christian population become an ever more marginalized, frustrated and noisy minority in the United States they are deprived of their right to protest or even criticize their Leader…until barely a wimper was heard..

IlikedAUH2O on August 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Who the hell do these people think they are?

Who is running against her? Time to make a donation!!

christene on August 5, 2009 at 2:42 PM

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Please don’t insult the breed

I love my boxer..: o )

christene on August 5, 2009 at 2:46 PM

More of our great Senator’s wisdom:

Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, “Thank God, I’m still alive.” But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.
– Sen. Barbara Boxer, (D, Calif.)

Doh! Truer words have never been spoken by an idiot. I also think she is the biggest numb skull in the senate…even more so than Stuart Smalley.

yobobbyb on August 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The Boxer Rebellion was well named…

In response to imperialist expansion, growth of cosmopolitan influences, and missionary evangelism, and against the backdrop of state fiscal crisis and natural disasters,

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Hey after some years, why not go all the way and puff me up? If they’re lucky my bouquet will be fruits and veggies…you know, for the ending. >; ]

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Proud Palin Fan, I like that thought—I spent way too long shopping for a dress I only got to wear once, anyway.

Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on August 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Well, you COULD dress like a DEM “woman” which means looking like the “butch” one on a two woman relationship.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

That wouldn’t work for me b/c of my “gazongas”.

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

CBS’s Storm Quotes Barbara Boxer, Who Blamed Wildfires on Iraq

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM

And to put icing on the cake go to eBay and get me some Kazuo Kawasaki’s. :D

Tons of ppl would kill to see Sarah dressed in a wedding gown renewing her vows. Todd said he was gonna do that. Maybe they might be working on it? xfingersx

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM

She probably thought Harry Alford was too well dressed to be a real African-American…as we all know, they are oppressed, poor, and downtrodden-not possible for them to become successful without the Socialists’ pity and help.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Storming. Nice.

I don’t recall seeing videos of any storming. As a matter of fact, wasn’t there a video posted here yesterday of people being turned away from a townhall meeting in Wisconsin?

And the last line in this clip? … to change our congress…

Hey, Boxer. I thought change was a good thing?

madmonkphotog on August 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM

“What they are doing is a really tortured way to attack a United States senator who voted against the war.”Boxer reacting to criticism after she slammed Secretary of State Condi Rice during a Senate Hearing on war policy because Rice is single and childless, quoted in NY Times

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 3:08 PM

OK, let’s see: the protesters are knuckle-dragging NASCAR fans in sleeveless t-shirts and baseball caps; and they’re elites dressed in Brooks Brothers suits. The Dems need to start getting their smears straight.

ddrintn on August 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Will trade my conservative rags for Brooks Bothers Suit. Willing to attend Town Hall Meetings & use big words in exchange. Serious inquires only.

TheBigOldDog on August 5, 2009 at 3:17 PM

For Sale: Salvation Army Clothing. Badly worn. Some holes. Look like a sincere Democrat next time you want to exercise your Constitutional right to have your grievances addressed by your elected representatives at a Town Hall Meeting.

TheBigOldDog on August 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Why are we seeing so much of this douche nozzle lately?

because she’s up for re-election in 2010, I hope the good people of California return to sanity and send her packing…

jstueve on August 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM

The libs are just jealous that we can turn out more people than Code Pink ever dreamt of doing.

Lou Budvis on August 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Where to begin.

So.

If I wear bibbed over-alls and pick my arse while I’m not swatting flies from my sweaty drool-stained yellowish white tee-shirt, then my ideas must therefore be valid?

Thank you for your input, Barbie.

hillbillyjim on August 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Where to begin.

So.

Thank you for your input, Barbie.

hillbillyjim on August 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Don’t forget the cow!

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM

She must be talking about Harry and Louise from the TV commercial
that supports healthcare reform. Those crazy terrorists!

elderberry on August 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM

People actually voted for this woman!

hillbillyjim on August 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Ma’am? What an elite airhead. Some of us clean up pretty good sometimes.

Kissmygrits on August 5, 2009 at 3:40 PM

“It´s to hurt our President and change the Congress”.
Well, duh.

albill on August 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Lou Budvis on August 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Actually, they’re jealous that conservatives don’t have to rely on professional rent-a-mobs.

ddrintn on August 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I think what galls me more than anything, is this flippant, elitist attitude. As if to say….I am entitled to be a Senator. I am entitled to tell you how to live. I am entitled to insult, and trash you, because I rule over you. Not for you.

Me thinks to many politicians have forgotten , we are a Government By, for, and of the people. Time to clean house, NOW!!! We need to unite, and stand against this crap, and send the message. No longer are we going to sit back, and just take it. We elected them, we can fire them. It’s within our power, and it’s time to let them know…we’re mad as hell, and aren’t going to take it anymore!!!

capejasmine on August 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I suppose we could go dressed in Clampett clothes, would that please her?

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM

These are all over the States’ town hall meetings (gathered by CPR’s Rights).

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Boxer: Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

Is this like code for “When we’re done with America, American’s will be too impoverished to be well dressed” ???

Upstater85 on August 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Upstater85 on August 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Rush said we’d all be shopping at Goodwill & Salvation Army by the time they are through.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Maybe those folks attending the rallies are “so well dressed” because Conservatives WORK FOR A LIVING and can therefore afford to dress well?

DDT on August 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Funny… I actually met Barbra Boxer in the lobby of a hotel a couple of years ago. She was about to go on air with CNN for an interview and she was asking a staffer to get her the day’s casualty counts from Iraq – chop chop. She then used those numbers on air to bask Bush. No surprise there.

But where it got interesting was after the interview I introduced myself and told her I was a 9/11 survivor (was involved in the collapse of WTC) and told her, very politely, something along the lines of that her and the Democrats should get a little tougher about terrorism. We walked into the elevator at the same time and as I was talking she wanted to hear none of it and said something about me being a Republican just as I was about to get off at my floor. I mumbled something back about that I wasn;t really a Republican. And the last thing she said to me as I was walking off was “Well, you look like a Republican”!

I was so amazed by that weird, rude comment. I do work in business but I am by no means a “clean cut” guy. I was wearing gray pants and a normal business casual button down shirt.

Seeing this video reminds me of that day. What a self-centered judgemental tool this woman is.

jam550 on August 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM

This just in from Harry Reid: “And they smell too good to be real protesters.”

This Congress is beneath contempt. Merciless, mocking ridicule is the only medicine left for them. Good thing they’re like fish in a barrel.

evergreen on August 5, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Boxer was dressed too well to be sincere in her criticism.

malclave on August 5, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Striking that she now notices a difference between the “scruffy radicals” that normally protest (for her) and average Americans.

Will she get past this fashion statement of hers to listen to what the protest is actually about?

virgo on August 5, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Hi, I’m Barbara Boxer. I make fun of average American Voters and talk down to African-American men who testify on the hill. Oh, and I make snarky remarks to Generals. I’m completely out of touch with the people, but I support 100% the Democrat Status Quo MOB RULE in Washington

I’m asking ALL California to vote for me so YOU can receive the same treatment.

TN Mom on August 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Maybe she prefers that we dress like Michelle?

I doubt I could find a pair of patchwork short like our first lady wears but I can have my bra strap hang out of my tank top like she does…

Rockygold on August 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Bab’s glamour shot pic.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

PLEASE do NOT disparage canines by comparing them to Barbara Boxershorts! In general, they are more intelligent, more loyal and more dependable than this lesser species.

ExpressoBold on August 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM

But…but…you’re my Senator! Aren’t you supposed to lie to me and kiss my butt?

mojo on August 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Rockygold on August 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM

That there is quite a caboose.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Hopefully soon to be EX-SENATOR Boxer apparently has RECTAL – CRANIAL INVERSION SYNDROME. There is no cure for it because it requires the person to stop having a CRAPPY outlook on life.

hamradio on August 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Let’s see. I’m wearing pants with cargo pockets and a “wife beater” T-shirt. I was going to trim my moustache but found the battery dead on my trimmer so I’ve got it charging. Does this mean that I can be “sincere”? One disclaimer – I did get a haircut yesterday.

TooTall on August 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM

That wouldn’t work for me b/c of my “gazongas”.

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I don’t believe you…let me see.
That would be the equivalent of a birther…a boober?

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM

jam550 on August 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM

What an interesting story…a little flashback.
When you look back it probably makes sense…

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I wonder if Elizabeth Gates will comment on Tammy Faye Boxer’s eyeliner?

AnotherDave on August 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM

She wears too much makeup to be a real woman!

Frances on August 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Frances you may be onto something.

Ted Torgerson on August 5, 2009 at 6:19 PM

If you read between the lines, they think that Obama’s so-called “personal” popularity will get him more support. They know people don’t like his policies, so they are trying to make the attack personal.

And if the protesters weren’t well dressed? They’d be called red necks. All this from the man that was hooked up with Acorn? The group that sat in the lobbies of banks that didn’t want to give out bad loans and called them “racists.”

njpat on August 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I would like to take a very long and rigid !@#$%* and then heat it to 1200 degrees kelvin with a blow torch and then shove it right up Barbara Boxer’s @#^%$.

I am ashamed that I have had such a primitive thought as this. But I will soon get over it.

Geochelone on August 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM

This is firm, positive, undeniable proof that liberal Democrats like Boxer have totally lost touch, not just with their own constituents, but in Boxer’s case, with reality itself.

Is there any more proof that people in California need to show them this goof needs to be thrown out of office as quickly as possible?

pilamaye on August 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Hey Babs, here’s a well dressed individual you actually might like.

Maybe you can be her boy toy.

yobobbyb on August 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM

She hasn’t lost touch with anything. She is a complete and total friggin idiot. The people that keep voting her in, idiots. It’s frigging amazing to me.

rollthedice on August 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Nothing to see here…Barbara “Botox” Boxer insults average Americans. More from the democratic sleaze machine…

Nozzle on August 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM

The libtards are still mad about Al Gore not being able to steal the election 9 years ago. But HOW DARE we protest Obama!

Speedwagon82 on August 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Hagula, Scagula and Ragula, the KalifoЯnia sisters

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Hagula, Scagula and Ragula, the KalifoЯnia Калифорния sisters

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Fixed it.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Miss Boxer let me get this right .If i show up in my dirty blue jeans and shirt i am legit.You elite ass how dare you look down you nose at the hard working God fearing men and women of this country.Most who work damn hard just to pay there bills and try to provide for there family.They also pay a lot of high taxes so you and others like you can have a high paying job the best health care and a retirement plan that they can only dream of.You and other like you are the scum of the earth.I would like to tell you what i really think but i will not stoop that low and use that kind of language.

thmcbb on August 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM

These can’t be sincere protesters—Every one of these angry citizens has a job and a valid social security number! And, there is not a single gazonga bared in protest.

The left has their nekkid slogans

Better Nude Than Nike

I’d Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur

Code Pink…k, maybe I just have a dirty mind on that one

What would conservatives have?

Don’t Tax These Ta-Tas…?

Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on August 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Is Barbara Boxer a drinker? Or is she sniffing something? They have 12 step meetings for people who have “issues” Really, she understands when she says something, people are like listening to her and stuff right?

Dr Evil on August 5, 2009 at 7:19 PM

It’s time like these that I wished someone would just box her in the face or ears…or something. I’m so glad my wife moved to VA instead of wanting me to live in CA. Of course, VA is having issues too. But still, if she’s ready in trouble given what polling has come out, good for those who have their heads on straight there.

roopster217 on August 5, 2009 at 7:31 PM

The worst part of living in California is the dolts that run the government on the state and federal level.

pelosi
boxer
feinstein
waxman
any twosome newsome
villaregossa
karen bass
miller
harmon

I’ve lived here all my life and can’t understand how we ended up with such a collection of duffus representatives.

FireBlogger on August 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

FireBlogger on August 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Trade you Ben Nelson for Tom McClintock.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I plan to dress in rags for the next Townhall meeting I can find close by.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Apparently, lying causes your lips to turn purple.

redwhiteblue on August 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Ed Said:

On her main point, we’ve hosted the videos here at Hot Air. In my recollection, the people in the town halls are dressed in T-shirts, jeans, shorts, halter tops, and the like. Maybe the people need to strip down to their Boxers in order to be considered sincere.

Boxer is rewriting history

CWforFreedom on August 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Next town hall meeting that is scheduled in my area, I am showing up dressed in rags with boxer shorts over the slacks with Ma’am senator painted on the boxers.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I guess the protestors don’t fit her steretype, eh?

What a ridiculous argument to make.

AnninCA on August 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Why are we seeing so much of this douche nozzle lately?

Then I think she would do better to keep her idiot mouth shut…

jana on August 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Gee, Barbara, Ma’am, Senator Boxer,
I really don’t think the protestors are out to hurt Obama. I’m pretty sure they’re trying to save America’s a$$.

PoodleSkirt on August 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM

FireBlogger on August 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

You forgot Jerry Brown

UGH!

Domino on August 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Don’t forget the tattoos before you go to the next protest!

doncow on August 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM

in my small NJ town, I have attended a lot, a lot of council meetings as a citizen of the town, I have also been on the other side of the street as a recreation commisioner and member of the planning board. In terms of dress, if I was a member of the board, I tended to wear office attire, if I was showing up to ask questions or speak my mind at a council meeting, jeans and a t-shirt worked just fine. It is also my experience that not too many meetings occur without someone or several someones or many someones raising their voices and getting a little exercised. I don’t understand how anyone involved in muni politics to national politics don’t expect some citizens to be exercised on any given issue. That is America and I never resented being yelled at by my fellow citizens, I may not have liked it and probably yelled back, but I had my answers to the questions and I listened. I also gave to the members of our town counsel, even the mayor who may have appointed me, a piece of my mind when necessary. How this woman can talk about the way people are dressed has something to do with their point of view only further evidences her biases in viewing the citizens of this country. She has us all in neat little stereotypical packages. It is staggering.

Willie on August 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

‘In the future could you just address me as Senator Fashion Police; It’s just I’ve worked so hard getting my fear mongering points down for my appearance on MSNBC’

TN Mom on August 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

The left has their nekkid slogans

Better Nude Than Nike

I’d Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur

Code Pink…k, maybe I just have a dirty mind on that one

What would conservatives have?

Don’t Tax These Ta-Tas…?

Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on August 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Ohhh Lord. Don’t give me ideas. Maybe before headin’ to DC I’ll see if I can sneak in with Speedos bathing suit top & shorts-after all, beach’s nearby. Why not? Over here they’re toning it down as a family cycling-beachy thingy by Kathy Dahlkemper (D-PA).

Should trade the wedding gown for bathing suit.

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM

a united states senator

rob verdi on August 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Yo Prom-Queen Barbie,

WTF are you insinuating with your “well dressed” snub?

So what if I choose Armani for my off-the-rack apparel, and Oxxford for my tailor made duds? Maybe you’d better have a listen to ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man” before you go spouting off about those of us who don’t count ourselves among the pathetically grungy and hopelessly sartorially challenged.

StimulateTHIS on August 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

BTW …….. Yes, I do OWN FOUR (count ‘em …. FOUR) tuxedos. Each is entirely appropriate to the season, and the venue.

StimulateTHIS on August 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Remember this?

Rethuglican brownshirt thugs (wearing pocket protectors and Hush Puppies) stole the election in Florida

Del Dolemonte on August 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM

It just occurred to me that the only rumpled, polyester blend “suit” that Ralph Nader always seemed to be wearing didn’t appear to attract any additional votes casted for his candidacy.

Chicks, be they liberal or conservative, don’t dig sloppily dressed dudes.

AM I RIGHT LADIES????