Boxer: Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

posted at 10:55 am on August 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) appeared on Hardball last night in support of the Left’s attempt to discredit the people showing up to townhalls in protest of ObamaCare. Boxer says she can tell that they’re fakes, because they’re too well dressed.  How does she know that this is a problem?  Because well-dressed people apparently told her to get the hell out of Florida in the Bush-Gore recount, too:

That explanation is a classic.  If it’s true at all, she probably stunned the Floridians with the sheer stupidity of her non-sequitur.  Ronald Reagan would not have gone into Florida to tell them how to conduct their recount; he had too much respect for state sovereignty in those issues.  I almost laughed out loud when Boxer trotted that out on national TV.

On her main point, we’ve hosted the videos here at Hot Air.  In my recollection, the people in the town halls are dressed in T-shirts, jeans, shorts, halter tops, and the like.  Maybe the people need to strip down to their Boxers in order to be considered sincere.

Brian Walsh, communications director of the NRSC, responds to Boxer’s weird bout of sartorial paranoia:

“When you consider that Barbara Boxer considers Code Pink and MoveOn.org protestors to be ‘her base,’ it’s understandable that a Senator representing the left wing fringe would be confused when ordinary Americans engage in free speech. But the fact of the matter is that across the country, Americans of all backgrounds are standing up and saying ‘no’ to the Democrats spending and health-care takeover proposals.”

And Americans of all clothing tastes as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who knew there was such a thing as “Mob Fashion”?

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Dissent only counts if you’re wearing a pink t-shirt.

Jim Treacher on August 5, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Boxer only proves that wacky females socialistic hoes can get voted into office and then are so stupid, they don’t know when to shut their mouths and just pretend.

katablog.com on August 5, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Bab’s aid says, “Ma’am Senator!, Ma’am Senator! The peasants are revolting!”
***
The King Bab’s says, “you said it, they stink on ice…oh wait, it’s liberal protestors that stink on ice, therefore since these town hall “protestors’ don’t stink they must not be genuine, off with their heads!”

rocketman on August 5, 2009 at 11:52 AM

FIFY

Liberty or Death on August 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Thank you MA’AM.

RobCon on August 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I guess I shouldn’t take a shower, shouldn’t shave, and show up in a wifebeater? Will that meet Boxer’s expectations?

NickelAndDime on August 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright before they speak

doginblack on August 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Don’t care what Ma’am Boxer (Dimwit – CA) has to say.

Branch Rickey on August 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM

It’s to hurt our president and to change the congress

Um… that was a noble goal for the democrats not just 1 year ago Ms Boxer.

Scrappy on August 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Let them eat cake wear clothes that are too nice.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM

NickelAndDime on August 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM

That will really confuse Ma’am, she will wonder why one of her constituents is there.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Al Franken is SAFE!

My Senator, Barbara Boxer, is the dumbest Senator in the US Senate.

Minnesota, you are welcome.

juanito on August 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Do Versace or Armani have a line of Mobwear? B/C Brooks Brothers is sooooo Reagan era.

/snark

Branch Rickey on August 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM

To borrow a phrase from Janeane Garofalo,

F***ing unmitigated douchebaggery.

UltimateBob on August 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Leave Barry Obama alone! …sob…sniffle…

Leave him ALONE! wahhhh…

He didn’t do nuthin’…sob, sob, sob, snortle…LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Wyznowski on August 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Don’t hate us because we’re beautiful.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM

It’s to hurt our president and to change the congress

Um… that was a noble goal for the democrats not just 1 year ago Ms Boxer.

Scrappy on August 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Their MO since these hippie retreads were proclaiming, “Hope I die before I get old.”

Speaking of dying before getting old and healthcare / insurance / poll tested words… when are the hippies gonna make good on the promise of dying before getting old?

Branch Rickey on August 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Go back to CA Barbara!

jeanie on August 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM

So the geriatric hippie contingent led by Pelosi and Boxer have their granny panties in a bunch?

Mellow out, dudettes.

Have another hit.

NoDonkey on August 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Al Franken is SAFE!

My Senator, Barbara Boxer, is the dumbest Senator in the US Senate.

juanito on August 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I don’t know, that’s a tough call. It might still be a little early to call that one. Franken might just emerge the victor in that contest. We’ll have to keep an eye on him.

At any rate, there are 60 Democratic senators who are vying for the title. Let’s grab some popcorn and watch the fun!

UltimateBob on August 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

This is just begging for a good parody video of TLC’s “What Not To Wear” demonstrating the approved attire for “authentic” protestors and concerned citizens.

rockmom on August 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Let them eat cake wear clothes that are too nice.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM

cake

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I just wrote to her via her website. I doubt she will actually read it, but, this is what I wrote:

Ms. Boxer,

I am a regular person who wears regular clothes from regular stores. I certainly don’t think wearing a tank top and capris in the middle of summer is “well dressed”, it’s more like “casually dressed”, but I don’t know what your standards of “well dressed” are. What do we have to do, wear potato sacks in order to be taken seriously? Is that badly dressed enough for you?

I was at the much publicized “townhall” meeting in Austin, TX where Mr. Doggett came unprepared and left early because he couldn’t handle it. There wasn’t a mob of people there. It was a group of regular people that were frustrated with the way that Democrats are trying to take away our freedoms, our futures, and our hard-earned money. I didn’t see anyone there wearing anything other that jeans, t-shirts and maybe a pull over polo or two (whoa,fancy!).

Also, I hear about protests from a meetup.com group that is made up of regular people, not paid organizers like Organize for America, which, by the way, is a big fat astroturf group started by the great community organizer himself.

Stop lying about us.

Sara

rising21 on August 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Just another Left Wing Loon exercising her right to the freedom of speech….?

DL13 on August 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM

OT: Pittsburgh gym shooters blog.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I think we need have a few naked protests then maybe the left will take us seriously.

Stephen Macklin on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

From her grass root supports she expects everyone to wear pink. But not that kind of pink.

shick on August 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Boxer’s just confused by how the protesters look like they actually washed their hair this month.

Blacksmith on August 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Babs has nothing else to throw, so it has to be how people look that makes them irrelevant.

Remember all the savants talking about Linda Tripp and Monica Lewinsky, how completely ugly they were…and therefore what they said could not be true?

Same kind of shallow dismissal that avoids dealing with facts and substance.

And, you want to tell me if I judge someone by their skin color, that’s bigotry, but if I judge them by the shine of their loafers, it’s sensible?

You are a bigoted whore, Babs. I am ashamed a beast like you could be elected to the Senate of the US.

Harry Schell on August 5, 2009 at 12:43 PM

This is what an angry mob looks like

Angry Mob Playset

tmitsss on August 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM

BarbInCA

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Gee, I’m going to a town hall next week.

Never occurred to me I had to DRESS UP!

(I do love it though. People don’t say such stupid things until they’re totally panicked.)

jeanneb on August 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM

She’s right. The well-behaved, well-dressed folks are indeed Conservatives. The people outside, wearing butt-crack jeans covered with excrement and their long hair smelling of dope smoke, are liberals.

whitetop on August 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM

You want to see an angry Texan…

Here

I’m about done, folks. I’ve fought for her, I’ve flown her, I’ve buried some of my family covered with her. That flag pole has the Lone Star snapping below the Stars and Stripes.
It is taking every bit of strength I have not to reverse the order.

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Conservatives don’t know how to dress…Where are the Log Cabin Republicans when we need them?

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Funny how the left, whose protests are organized by various conglomerates of interest groups and well established (grassroots?) are charging that the right wing protestors are part of some corporate conspiracy.

Also I might add that the left is shocked at the tone, everyone knows the way to exact change in elected officials is through paper mache puppet shows and drumcircles. Think the leaders have the protesters docile and neutered? Just look at their impotent tactics.

LevStrauss on August 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM

What a lightweight.
Must be a good friend of Diana DeGette, the congresswoman from Denver. Diana’s going to avoid the well-dressed people of her district by holding her one town hall meeting by phone.

n0doz on August 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Any ideas on the appropriate right wing mob fashion?

Pocket protectors and pencils? Wingtips? Pumps?

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Boxer is just a bit confused. She is used to seeing birkenstocks, tattoos in place of shirts, and crotchless pants at her townhalls.
Vashta.Nerada on August 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM

… And a whole lotta leather, too.

TXUS on August 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Gee, I’m going to a town hall next week.

Never occurred to me I had to DRESS UP!

jeanneb on August 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM

No, no, you have to dress down…if you are dressed nicely you are “corporate”.
Liberals only respond to what looks like a liberal, smells like a liberal, blabbers like a liberal, spews hate like a liberal.

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Dang, it’s a strange day at HotAir…

“How are she make comments about how people are dressed! (Insert comments about how she is dressed here)”

Too much.

reaganaut on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Are you serious? If so, get over it! Nobody is truly offended by it, we’re offended that she is trying to write off a bunch of sincerely ticked off people, and using their “wardrobe” as an excuse (a very pathetic one).

thevastlane on August 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Evil picture of the idiot junior Senator from CA, Allah. She looks like a mongoloid baby with makeup done by some junior high girls.

Jaibones on August 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM

It is taking every bit of strength I have not to reverse the order.

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM

And this Texan is ready to join you. Semper Fi.

TXUS on August 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM

This person owes the American people a higher level of discourse.

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Well, I did have on that cute sundress from…wait for it…Walmart. Yeah, I’m rolling in the big bucks with our single family income, living in an apartment with my family of four on 50K a year. riiiight.

Mommypundit on August 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I guess I could counter Senator Ma’am by telling her I buy clothes at Walmart, but then of course, I’d be labeled a corporate shill for supporting such an oppressive company, or something.

CP on August 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Now, the “well-dressed” meme is EVERYWHERE in the MSM. It’s actually fun to see them flail about trying to spin and reconcile “orchestrated mobs” with the overwhelming rejection of the bill in ALL NATIONAL POLLS.

marklmail on August 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Hey, everybody! Let’s all go out and buy a copy of Boxer’s new political thriller.

whitetop on August 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

That’s Mr Well-Dressed to you, Ma’am. I worked to hard for that title.

RobertE on August 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Jaibones on August 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Too bad Ed didn’t post this pic instead.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM

The Statists are doing a fine job as setting up a playlist for everyone’s next TEA party.

First we had ‘Waterloo’ -ABBA

Now, “Sharp Dressed Man” – ZZ top.

Chainsaw56 on August 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Black Panther batons have been cleared by the Obama administration

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM

how about “Another One Bites the Dust….”

referring to Dems losing their seats of course.

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Is this NBC weaning itself off the koolaid?

tessa on August 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Boxer and Pelosi are wearing which designers again?

marklmail on August 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM

American Power tracked-back with, ‘Up Next: Barbara Boxer ‘Joker’ Posters?’.

Donald Douglas on August 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Too bad Ed didn’t post this pic instead.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009

Damn you, Omaha. Now I have to stab out my eyes.

SKYFOX on August 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM

First we had ‘Waterloo’ -ABBA

Now, “Sharp Dressed Man” – ZZ top.

Chainsaw56 on August 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM

“Another One Bites the Dust….”

referring to Dems losing their seats of course.

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Any other suggestions for the TEA Party playList?

Chainsaw56 on August 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Rush is saying we will be shopping here and here instead of here with Obamaeconomics.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM

The Battle Hymn of the Republic…

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM

He abuse of eye make up tells us she is in prostitution

seven on August 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM

No, no, you have to dress down…if you are dressed nicely you are “corporate”.

LOL! Guess I’ll drag out the church donation box and put on those old jeans I was giving away.

Seriously, though. I wish I’d heard Chris’s reply. Did he not pick up how totally ridiculous she sounded?

jeanneb on August 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM

The Battle Hymn of the Republic…

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Better

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I don’t care if the Republican challenger is the gay atheist pro-choice love child of Olympia Snowe and Lindsey Graham, I’ll give money to whatever R knocks her out in November!

battleoflepanto1571 on August 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I agree 100%!! I try to block it out of my mind that I live in a state which elects tools like Boxer, Feinstein, and Pelosi!!!

Callie C. on August 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM

She not used to seeing people who have jobs.

tessa on August 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM

That’s Mr Well-Dressed to you, Ma’am. I worked to hard for that title.

RobertE on August 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Good one.

Scrappy on August 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM

OMG! This is all planned! Just like the tea parties! Some people have gotten together and decided to do this! That means they PLANNED! How dare they!

Why, if they get together and talk about a tea party or a town hall, they must stop it right now! That’s PLANNING!

And OMG! They actually want to CHANGE CONGRESS! How dare they! What gall for these peons to think they could change congress! Trying to affect Congress is not something they should be proud of! In fact, they shouldn’t be allowed to do it! (Dang that freedom thing.)

And OMG! Just look at how well-dressed they are! Shorts, t-shirts, pants, tops – it’s almost criminal! The last time I was confronted by a group of well-dressed people it was obvious they had planned to be there!

We have got to stop these American people from putting on clothes and attempting to influence what Congress wants to do, or hurt Our President’s agenda. It’s downright un-American!

Alana on August 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM

limerick

good one!

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM

The Battle Hymn of the Republic…

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Better

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I was thinking “The Bonnie Blue flag”, but that might be too ‘Regional’.

Chainsaw56 on August 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Boxer, What a dipshit.

Texyank on August 5, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I was thinking “The Bonnie Blue flag”, but that might be too ‘Regional’.

Chainsaw56 on August 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Then you’ll like this one….I dedicate it to KP

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM

rising21 on August 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Good letter to Boxer. My sentiments exactly. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Callie C. on August 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Damn, I thought of wearing either one of my two “power suits”, just to look like a well-spoken, professional wise Latina. ‘Cause after all, I am minority and there’s a bad rep already (thanks to other countries!).

If I go casual, jeans and T-shirt or a tank top I will look trashy or slutty. No matter what or how well my notes are and how my points might come across.

Are bridal gowns allowed? Will my argument be heard if I redress my daughter with her flower dress gown, with tiara and all?

Just sayin’!

ProudPalinFan on August 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

What Not to Wear

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Queer Eye for the Right Wing Guy

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

How in the hell do people like this and Pelosi get elected??? I honest to God can’t beleive anyone would vote for them.

Although Dick Durbin is my Senator, and he is a big-bag-of-nutball also, although I did not vote for him.

momof2 on August 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I apologize everyone. She’s my Senator…

Khun Joe on August 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM

To be more sincere, I guess we shouldn’t shower.

threeCents on August 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM

She just did it for the sound bite…she gave the Kool-aid carrying news organizations the tape they needed to perpetuate the sort of thought they perpetuated during the Bush/Darth yrs. That being that anything which opposes leftist policies/legislation/candidates must be from well-to-do, or yuppy “white bread” sort of people – you know like …oh – Ms Boxer-Ma’am-person-thing….sleestack…(Land of the Lost).

Public is wising up though…

Minorcan Maven on August 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM

That’s Mr Well-Dressed to you, Ma’am. I worked to hard for that title.

RobertE on August 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

That’s Mr Well Dressed to you, Senator. FIFY.

Khun Joe on August 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Does anyone know if a congressman/woman’s office would read mail from out of state?

I’m curious because I just sent Boxer’s office an e-mail telling her how “fabulously” she dresses.

Too subtle?

rihar on August 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Don’t dress too uppity though!

Tony Soprano on August 5, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Proud Palin Fan, I like that thought—I spent way too long shopping for a dress I only got to wear once, anyway.

Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on August 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Queer Eye for the Right Wing Guy

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

this is good!

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Sheena_is_a_Conservative_Now on August 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Well, you COULD dress like a DEM “woman” which means looking like the “butch” one on a two woman relationship.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

No, no, you have to dress down…if you are dressed nicely you are “corporate”.

Hey, he’s making profit, get him!

NickelAndDime on August 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Here are Bab’s people.

Careful…not for the young or faint of heart. But dressing like them will earn you Bab’s ear and respect.

I am a Californian and I gave up writing to Boxer, Pelosi and other d**chebags (thanks JG) like them a long time ago. There is no point to it. They exist to kowtow to the bizarre among us.

yobobbyb on August 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM

This woman’s idiocy is stupefying…

D2Boston on August 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM

momof2 on August 5, 2009

Chcago elected him. The rest of the state just shrugged and went back to detasseling their corn.

SKYFOX on August 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM