Boxer: Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

posted at 10:55 am on August 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) appeared on Hardball last night in support of the Left’s attempt to discredit the people showing up to townhalls in protest of ObamaCare. Boxer says she can tell that they’re fakes, because they’re too well dressed.  How does she know that this is a problem?  Because well-dressed people apparently told her to get the hell out of Florida in the Bush-Gore recount, too:

That explanation is a classic.  If it’s true at all, she probably stunned the Floridians with the sheer stupidity of her non-sequitur.  Ronald Reagan would not have gone into Florida to tell them how to conduct their recount; he had too much respect for state sovereignty in those issues.  I almost laughed out loud when Boxer trotted that out on national TV.

On her main point, we’ve hosted the videos here at Hot Air.  In my recollection, the people in the town halls are dressed in T-shirts, jeans, shorts, halter tops, and the like.  Maybe the people need to strip down to their Boxers in order to be considered sincere.

Brian Walsh, communications director of the NRSC, responds to Boxer’s weird bout of sartorial paranoia:

“When you consider that Barbara Boxer considers Code Pink and MoveOn.org protestors to be ‘her base,’ it’s understandable that a Senator representing the left wing fringe would be confused when ordinary Americans engage in free speech. But the fact of the matter is that across the country, Americans of all backgrounds are standing up and saying ‘no’ to the Democrats spending and health-care takeover proposals.”

And Americans of all clothing tastes as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

“Please call me Senator” How bout we call you a lamebrain.

Hummer53 on August 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Boxer’s next defense: They’re insulting, too! One called me Ma’am. Harrumph.

Dusty on August 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM

T-shirt: “Kids, we’re cutting off your allowance”

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Message to Barbara Boxer:

“GET YOUR A$$ OUT OF MY CLOSET!”

Yoop on August 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time, “Too well dressed to be sincere.” These people are either scared to death of us or morons.

Hobbes on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Actually, maybe the dissenters came straight from W-O-R_K. There’s a concept.

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Gasp! No, not that!!

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Maybe we should ask Michelle “My Bell” for fashion tips at the town hall meetings since we have been told she has best fashion sense of anyone.

Dire Straits on August 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

As the late Adrian Rogers said, “you cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”

An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before,
but had once failed an entire class.
——————————————–
That class had insisted that Obama’s socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.

The professor then said, “OK,
we will have an experiment in this class on Obama’s plan”.

All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.

After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.
The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.

As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D!
No one was happy.

When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.

The scores never increased as bickering,
blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.

All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.

Could not be any simpler than that.
(Please pass this on)

This is dedicated to all those college age kids who voted for th empty suit because he was ‘black’, ‘cool’, ‘well-spoken’(bs), or because they have NEVER had to work for anything in their lives…

Ltlgeneral64 on August 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Conservatives: The Great Unwashed…. NOT!

T J Green on August 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

bloggless
My son and nephew-both 15-took a few, mostly of our side because we were across Dearborn from the main event.
I’ll see if I can get some linked.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Is that a tea bag on Boxer’s chin?

crash72 on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

of course not – it’s a stain from being a brown noser.

poppieseeds on August 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Please ask these Congressmen/Senators about ACORN and SEIU. Are they opposed to them bussing people to protest in front of people’s homes? They bussed them into New Orleans and Baton Rouge events. Are they prepared to go on record and demand an investigation into them?

barnone on August 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Next time I promise I won’t iron my overall cutoffs or use white spray paint to cover up the grease stains on my t-shirt; wouldn’t want the libs to accuse me of dressing well for a townhall.

Bishop on August 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Maybe this is more in keeping with Madame Boxer’s image of what protestors should look like. This was taken at the Atlanta Tea Party back in April.

Just A Grunt on August 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

You’re just projecting cuz every protest against Bush was organized by some professional grievance organization. You can’t conceive of the idea of individuals coming together against something without cattle prods.

And, really, that speaks to more about you than anything else.

lorien1973 on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Exactly.

Loxodonta on August 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Democrats can be pretty dense. The passionate voters they’re seeing are that way because they don’t like the policies that are being forced on us. If they think these people are passionate now, wait until they see them coming out of the voting booths in 2010. If the Dems continue to go on the offensive they will find their constituents getting even more motivated to get them out of office.

Barb Dwyer on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I think we need have a few naked protests then maybe the left will take us seriously.

Stephen Macklin on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

guntotinglibertarian on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

The really powerful like to have their toys puppets too.

HoustonRight on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

This is fun.

This is what it’s like when the enemy is running away in fear.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Barb Dwyer on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

To be fair, democrats aren’t used to seeing engaged and knowledgable voters. They are used to zombie lemmings.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Stephen Macklin on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

We should mail packs of boxer underwear to Boxer’s office.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM

For the first time in a long time I’m flabbergasted. How do you respond to such ignorant drivel? Is it really possible that an elected official is that out of touch with reality? Is it tin foil hat time for Barbara? If this is the Democratic strategy, (which apparantly it is), keep it up. Keep ignoring the people and pretend that we aren’t really here. Keep insulting us with your bovine fecal matter. Keep marginalizing us while you can. Keep calling us radical extremists. You ain’t seen radical extremism yet.

sdd on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I was gonna iron a clean shirt for today’s town hall in south Georgia, but not now. Hell, I might not even shave or bathe.
That way I’ll be COMPLETELY sincere when I’m on television. Oh, yeah.

Be glad you don’t live in California where clueless idiots like Boxer, Feinstein and the uber-clueless Botox Queen Pelosi represent you in Congress.

bradley11 on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

DIE BI*CH DIE! Okay, there I said it.
On a side note, maybe the protestors should be wearing retarded looking pink outfits and throw fake blood on them (not to mention smell like b.o.). Ooooohhh there’s a good idea. I like that blood part. It would put a smile on my face to see that fcking old bat with fake blood on her. Think being slapped down by Mr. Alford wasn’t fun, lady? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

“These people are either scared to death of us or morons.”

does it have to be either/or?

Buckaroo on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Incredible. So when I showed up in jeans, a Wal-Mart polo shirt, and tennis shoes, I was dressed too nice to be sincere.

Note to self. Next time protest rolls around, wear clothes at bottom of laundry basket. Or pajamas. That way I will be taken seriously. End note.

Bakers on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

This is one issue where the left is so far off base I can’t believe it. I attended a tea party in my home state. I have never, ever received an e-mail about any kind of rabble-rousing. I have talked to many, many people who are planning to attend one protest or another. None have been contacted by any organizing group. In fact, the common comment seems to be “Wouldn’t it be something if someone organized all this anger?”

They’ve gone from the narrative of “a few loosely organized tea parties that no one attended” to “it’s a well-orchestrated right wing cabal.” These people are just pitiful. So pitiful, in fact, that no one’s listening to them outside of their own echo chamber.

Rational Thought on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

We should mail packs of boxer underwear to Boxer’s office.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I’d rather send chickenschnit.

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Well, I stood in the rain in DC on April 15 in 40 degree weather in jeans. I wore capris and tshirt to the July 4th party at Southfork (it was 103 degrees) and I plan on wearing jeans to the march in DC on 9/12.

TXMomof3 on August 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Ok, which of you guys stole my cummerbund? Come on, this isn’t funny.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Maybe you just misplaced it. Did you try looking by your monacle and spats? Or over by your white kid gloves and ciagrette holder?

DrAllecon on August 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM

My God. She even looks like an arrogant b*tch in the picture. How she ever got elected anytyhing is beyond me. She is so full of herself. I can’t believe the arrogance of this woman.

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM

We should mail packs of USED boxer underwear to Boxer’s office.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM

FIFY

VibrioCocci on August 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM

You’re not denying that the protests are being organized by corporate interests, are you?

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I won’t argue that certain corporations have a vested interest in getting this boondoggle program quashed, but as for them organizing the protests, that comes from grass roots organizations and many other entities. Mostly disgruntled constituents.

scalleywag on August 5, 2009 at 11:52 AM

***
I like the MEL BROOKS MOVIE where the King’s advisor runs in and tells him about the big riot forming up outside the castle.
***
“Sire! Sire! The peasants are revolting!”
***
The King says, “They sure are!”–a lack of baths, good clothes, or something. Probably Babs thinks the same way about us “peasants” in the new U.S.S.A.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on August 5, 2009 at 11:52 AM

This lady is without question the dumbest person in the US Senate, at least when Sheriff Joe is out of the country.

james23 on August 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I cannot wait for California to break off
and sink to the bottom of the ocean.

elderberry on August 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM

This is fun.

This is what it’s like when the enemy is running away in fear.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

As long as we don’t pull a Colin Powell and stop before the enemy is completely dismantled…

We will once again have the USA that was my pleasure to grow up in.

PappaMac on August 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Senator;

I worked very hard to dress like this. I was just wondering if you could respect my Sincerity. I spent hours pressing my suit, starching my shirt, shaving, shining my shoes, and tying my tie. Could you please respect that Senator… or should I call you Ma’am?

karasoth on August 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM

“Desperation” is such a stinky perfume. I hope and pray the Dems keep up this lunatic’s vissage of a counter campaign.

44Magnum on August 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM

This is fun.

This is what it’s like when the enemy is running away in fear.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

This is exactly what is going on. They believed they were in control of everything so there was no possibility of any pushback from the public.

They did not expect to lose part of their base. They did not expect to lose the independents. They did not expect to lose the Repubs that actually voted for Obama.

But the poll numbers show they were wrong in their assumptions. They were wrong in their calculations. They were just plain wrong.

I expect their present status of being deeply concerned to turn to full blown panic. People reacting in panic make mistakes. Like snitch sites. Like “too well dressed” comments. Etc., etc.

Expect full panic mode and totally bizarre reactions by September 1st. “Bizarre” meaning you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Yoop on August 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Big Corporations are behind this measure

if Obama’s “public option” passes they will all at their first opportunity ditch their health care plans (which cost them a TON)and throw people onto the public “option”

karasoth on August 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM

There is some hope in Barbie’s upcoming need to run for re-election – but Carly Fiorina ain’t it. Fiorina’s real background is the destruction of the engineering culture (i.e. the guys who do the work) of Hewlett-Packard. HP was once a great company, resolutely home-grown and remarkably free of corporate bullshit. Fiorina rode it into the ground while awarding herself multi-million-dollar bonuses.

The fact that she calls herself a Republican is immaterial. My tent ain’t that big.

Support Chuck DeVore.

warbaby on August 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM

All their complaints is only making them look more assinine and is going to be their downfall but they are too arrogant and self-serving to see it.

ohiobabe on August 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Or wear sackcloth, with ashes on their heads. Maybe that’ll convince her of their sincerity.

Her crack about deserving respect was really a slap in the face. Why should I respect a low-life like her, who was thoroughly disrespectful of an Army general (a man who actually did work hard to get where he was, and attain his rank/title, unlike her, who just got elected)? Just because you happen to be from the same state as Reagan, a better man than you? I wish she’d’ve said that crap to me.

Virus-X on August 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Fellow Citizens:

Continue to press the attack, give the enemy no quarter, no rest, no water. Call, fax, email, protest, and fail to do your laundry as we help our country do it’s dirty laundry. This is a no fail mission.

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I was watching Morning Joe this morning, and they showed a series of clips in which various pols were getting shouted down. At one point, a laughing Scarborough had them replay one clip to reinforce the impression of these “corporate-backed populists.” After he composed himself, he asked both Jonathon Capehart (tool member of WaPo editorial board) and Mike Allen of Politico whether they were still convinced that the Milt and Millie Middleclasses shown on the clips were insurance company executives. It was hilarious. Capehart and Politico couldn’t bring themselves to admit that the Milts and Millies depicted weren’t “corporate backed.” The merely acknowledged that at least some weren’t. Scarborough emphasized that he was never able to gin up that kind of outrage and that unless people are genuinely outraged, they stay at home and watch Wheel of Fortune.

Scarborough also made a point of playing the entire clip of Obama that Linda Douglas supposedly debunked yesterday. Then he asked Capehart and Allen whether the GOP was taking Obama out of context or misreporting the clip. Neither of them would flatly say–as we all know–that Douglas and the Obama administration is full of sh*t on this point.

It was nice to see Scarborough stick up for the good guys for once.

BuckeyeSam on August 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

We could shower with this before dressing up, or we could send Ma’am a bar.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM

The left expose themselves as nitwits more and more each day and I’M LOVIN’ IT!

txag92 on August 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM

This woman beclowns herself more and more every time she opens her mouth.

rockmom on August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Ed, Allah, anyone – new weekly posting for the Hot Air Friday edition “Beclownment of the Week”. By Friday we could all use a nice, funny clown picture…that is unless you are scared of clowns.

Simonsez on August 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I try not to hate anyone, but how do you not hate such a vile POS as Barbara Boxer? Seriously!?

RightWinged on August 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Boxer is like an ugly nothing-between-the-ears dept store mannequin come to life in a Twight Zone episode.

Only in California.

infidel4life on August 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time, “Too well dressed to be sincere.” These people are either scared to death of us or and morons.

Hobbes on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Modified for clarity AND impact. Hope you don’t mind.

44Magnum on August 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I thought Teabaggers were white, redneck trailer trash who shopped at Walmart! There’s a new conspiracy afloat. Someone is deliberately giving these Teabaggers nice clothes and coaching them on how to instigate riots! Must be those dastardly Brooks brothers.

OxyCon on August 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

She reminds me of Cruella

scalleywag on August 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

txag92 on August 5, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I agree. She needs meds.

ladyingray on August 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Join SQUIRL. The ones that crush ACORNS!!!!!!!!

Rick007 on August 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Is it just me, or is Boxer pretty well dressed?

orlandocajun on August 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM

She is referring to the new “term of the day”, poorgeois.
These are manly the youth who dress down, look kind of frumpy, but are actually wearing $200 shirts, $300 “used” jeans, $100 “torn” shorts. They make up a large part of the liberal movement. The new trend, expensive clothes that look like they are “down and out”.
Kind of similar to the “white” talking ghetto…trying to be part of something they want no part of…

right2bright on August 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Boxer challenged Palin in an editorial, so I would like to see Palin challenge Boxer to a debate. Now that’s television.

huckleberryfriend on August 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Ah, Babs – once again proving beyond doubt that she is, if not THE most stupid Senator, then at least in strong contention for the title.

Lurking Vet on August 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Boxer is obviously nuts.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM

OPPPPS Squirrel

Rick007 on August 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Is it just me, or is Boxer pretty well dressed?

orlandocajun on August 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Yes, and full of botox, hair-dye, and bullshit. :)

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Senator Boxer please go back to California and then keep going west for another 100 miles or so. Then you can stop. Good luck.

Mallard T. Drake on August 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

haha

Sponsored by Brooks Brothers

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Lurking Vet on August 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I’m thinking Maxine Waters has her beat in the stupid department but not by much. :)

txag92 on August 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

This dimwit is working for the wrong government; Poor thing got lost on her vacation from Iran.

Cybergeezer on August 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Boxer is obviously nuts.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Or maybe she’s full of nuts. Now that’s one squirrel I wouldn’t mind running over.

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM

We should mail packs of UNWASHED used boxer underwear W/SKID MARKS to Boxer’s office.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM

FIFY

VibrioCocci on August 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Double Fix :)

PrettyD_Vicious on August 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM

No wonder she clings to her title. She is a dunce.

pat on August 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2009 at 12:10 PM

GOP. Mobs. ooooooo scary.

The panicked and paranoid Dems are scared of old men in Dockers.

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Preferably from the troops in Afghanistan who has been on patrol for a couple of weeks straight.

PrettyD_Vicious on August 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Yoop on August 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Perhaps a full blown over reaction to the swine flu might get folks bothered and distracted enough….but I don’t think so…

Ozprey on August 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM

My son and nephew took some pix of fellow counter-protesters(and one sheeple) at yesterday’s Schacowsky love-in. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2030636&id=1402183200&l=33f7baf6c1“

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2009 at 12:10 PM

hahahaha

Poster – “Meet Your New Doctor” (pic of Bozo the Clown)

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Just goes to show that botox injections do effect the brain.

GarandFan on August 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM

txag92 on August 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Maxine Waters is the stupidest House Representative. Barbara Boxer is the stupidest Senator. So there.

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM

EMAIL THIS WOMAN AND TELL HER WHAT YOU THINK. DON’T BACK DOWN TO THIS ELITIST SNOB.

pjean on August 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Memo to Boxer–GO BACK TO SCUM FREAKCISCO AND GET READY FOR THE BIG ONE! IT WILL MAKE WHAT HAPPENED IN 1918 AND 1989 LOOK LIKE A WALK IN THE PARK!

BobAnthony on August 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Boxer is obviously nuts.

FloatingRock on August 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Or maybe she’s full of nuts ACRORNS. Now that’s one squirrel I wouldn’t mind running over.

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Ozprey on August 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM

ACORN’s….

Ozprey on August 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM

A boxer DOG would be a better Senator than this complete jackass.

Is it a law in California that every voter must smoke crack prior to entering the polling booth or is it just optional?

If it’s optional, too many California voters are going with the wrong option, in so many ways.

NoDonkey on August 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Boxer is just a bit confused. She is used to seeing birkenstocks, tattoos in place of shirts, and crotchless pants at her townhalls.

Vashta.Nerada on August 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM

NathanG on August 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Now, now, NathanG – I said Babs is in the running – don’t forget about the newest Senator, Al “A$$-Clown” Franken. You have to admit, it’s a tight race….

Lurking Vet on August 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Sincerity is now measured by fashion sense? What does that say about Obama since he’s the coolest cat ever to be president? And Michelle Obama with the media drooling all over itself over anything that she wears. That makes them liars too right?

The double standards of the left just got dumber.

Scrappy on August 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM

What’s really sad is I think this stupid ______ Believes this stuff. The quality of our government is tanking.

saiga on August 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM

[orlandocajun on August 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM]

Of course she’s well dressed. She taxes the bejeebers out of all of us to be able to do that, get all her expenses paid for, and have luxury health care plan for which rationing is considered an abomination because she’s a valuable person.

Dusty on August 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM

“These people are either scared to death of us or morons.”

does it have to be either/or?

Buckaroo on August 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

My thought exactly, I’d say they are BOTH!

Liberty or Death on August 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM

These people are either scared to death of us or morons.

In Barbara Boxer’s case, the answer is moron. Is there anyone in the Senate that is more stupid than Barbara Boxer?

tballard on August 5, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Real People and Real Voters Too!

joedoe on August 5, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Anyone used to a roomful of sweat-ripened MoveOn types would probably think a feedlot too well-dressed.

JEM on August 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM

tballard – yes, unfortunately (and I say this as one of the Unwillingly Represented By Boxer) there’s probably several in the Senate dumber than her.

And no, I’m not counting the flowerpots and desks.

JEM on August 5, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Barbs Boxer is Too well dressed to be sincere. I will only believe her is she is wearing a wife beater T-shirt and boxers.

Geochelone on August 5, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Fact is, none of this nonsense would get out of the gate without the aid and abettance of the press. A fair-minded an independent press would have Barbara Boxer for lunch.

RD on August 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Hmmmmm…… that sure is a fishy thing for her to say…..

joedoe on August 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM