Boxer: Protesters too well dressed to be sincere

posted at 10:55 am on August 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) appeared on Hardball last night in support of the Left’s attempt to discredit the people showing up to townhalls in protest of ObamaCare. Boxer says she can tell that they’re fakes, because they’re too well dressed.  How does she know that this is a problem?  Because well-dressed people apparently told her to get the hell out of Florida in the Bush-Gore recount, too:

That explanation is a classic.  If it’s true at all, she probably stunned the Floridians with the sheer stupidity of her non-sequitur.  Ronald Reagan would not have gone into Florida to tell them how to conduct their recount; he had too much respect for state sovereignty in those issues.  I almost laughed out loud when Boxer trotted that out on national TV.

On her main point, we’ve hosted the videos here at Hot Air.  In my recollection, the people in the town halls are dressed in T-shirts, jeans, shorts, halter tops, and the like.  Maybe the people need to strip down to their Boxers in order to be considered sincere.

Brian Walsh, communications director of the NRSC, responds to Boxer’s weird bout of sartorial paranoia:

“When you consider that Barbara Boxer considers Code Pink and MoveOn.org protestors to be ‘her base,’ it’s understandable that a Senator representing the left wing fringe would be confused when ordinary Americans engage in free speech. But the fact of the matter is that across the country, Americans of all backgrounds are standing up and saying ‘no’ to the Democrats spending and health-care takeover proposals.”

And Americans of all clothing tastes as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Damn. You had me beat in my bridesmaid gown from the 1980’s (complete with hoop) and Dolce and Gabbana shoes at the tea party here.

mjk on August 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Nothing says fancy like a 1980′s bridesmaid gown with hoop. In the immortal words of Bill the Cat, “Ack, Gag, Barf!”

Laura in Maryland on August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

The Democrats know that they represent the poorly dressed. When are these Conservative plants that wash their clothes and use deodorant figure that out?

Morons.

Hening on August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

flag@whitehouse.gov

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

When I attended the (racist, right wing) April 15 Tea Party in my town, most people were dressed casually to professionally. But they were all paid shills for the Republican party too.

Boxer is still reeling from when Harry Alford smacked her down.

VibrioCocci on August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Is that a tea bag on Boxer’s chin?

crash72 on August 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM

LOL

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Ha!!! Puns lol, I hate puns. But that was good :D

If she is up for re-election, I sure as hell wont vote for her.

FontanaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Boxer’s just used to left wing protesters who usually don’t bath or shave and have tattoos and piercings. anyone who shaves and wears a tee-shirt is well dressed compared to the protestors she sees.

Goodeye_Closed on August 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I hope that there is at least a simple majority of californians that will boot this Low life out of office

hawkman on August 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM

You’re not denying that the protests are being organized by corporate interests, are you?

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I’m struggling to name a dumber person who ever served in the Senate.

No, still nothing.

DrSteve on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

If it’s not the color of their skin, it’s the clothes that they wear. She’s a bright one, California!

bridgetown on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

If I weren’t so stupid, and well dressed, I might be offended by this elitist person.

However, I’m neither offended nor surprised.

Does anyone have Carly Fiorina’s website–I’d like to make a donation.

Bye Bye Babs

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

“Too well-dressed” is a pathetic attempt to play the Class Envy card. These liars are shameless.

marklmail on August 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Yep. Naturally we’re better dressed — we have all that money from the evil health insurance companies that have been putting us up to these protests.

BTW, evil health insurance companies: I’m still waiting for my check!

AZCoyote on August 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

<—will protest in my underwear if it lends itself to my credibility.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Are you sure we want to see that?

TXMomof3 on August 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

You ARE providing evidence of your lame claim, aren’t you?

Patrick S on August 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

You’re not denying that the protests are being orangized by corporate interests, are you?

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Learn to spell. That error reeks of arrogance on your part.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I am denying that “the” protests are, yes.

DrSteve on August 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Excuse me, MA’AM, but you’re wrong, MA’AM.

jgapinoy on August 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM

How Democrats dress for protests.

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Is she wearing a blue dress?

Didn’t someone else of her caliber also wear a blue dress?

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM

This woman is even more stupid than crr6!

bill30097 on August 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Too bad my wife doesn’t think I’m as well dressed as this Senateperson.

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Alright, guys. See you later. I gotta go pick up my suit from CIGNA.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

uh – i live in a burb of Atlanta and I plan on going to several mid Aug when Mr. Linder holds his town hall meetings. I am not a part of any organization that is being paid to “hurt the President” I’m a person who does not want the Govt in my Health Care nor do I want the Govt telling my Doctors what to do.

If it pleases Madam Boxer then I will wear a pair of shorts from last year, my ugly crocs, an old T-shirt and will not shave my legs & underarms nor wear deodorant. Perhaps that will make me more like one of her stinking hippie friends back in CA.

What a shame she is a woman in power….nice hair growing on an empty skull.

poppieseeds on August 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Arrogant “B.”

Oink on August 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Wow. If there is one thing my wife never called me is ‘well dressed’. I’ll take my wife’s silence on the matter over a declaration by some heeled female in California.

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

you are full of crap if you believe that, libturd.

bill30097 on August 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Just laughable.

Compare the passion of conservatives who show up at town hall meetings to confront their representatives over health care with the zombies you see sitting in the audience at Obarfy’s town hall meetings.

I ask you, which one’s do you think are programmed and which one’s do you think are expressing their true feelings?

fogw on August 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Yes. I’ve been to two in Tucson, and they were organized, mainly online, by local citizens. There were no “corporate interests” involved.

AZCoyote on August 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Twitter is a “corporate interest” now?

BPD on August 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Another Democrat protest fashion show:

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

“They are trying to damage the President”

“They are trying to change the Congress”

Damn! She figured it out!

Guardian on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Dang, it’s a strange day at HotAir…

“How are she make comments about how people are dressed! (Insert comments about how she is dressed here)”

Too much.

reaganaut on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I’m struggling to name a dumber person who ever served in the Senate.

No, still nothing.

DrSteve on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I agree with you but we have to give Al Fraken a couple of years; then we may have a horse race.

Dire Straits on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The stink of liberal desperation is getting quite strong.

gwelf on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

So can she tell us how they dress at a SF Gay Pride Parade?

Jeff from WI on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Yes, she can.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:23 AM

This is the kind of lunacy we have running our country. It’s either lunacy or smear tactics to promote their propaganda. I’m not sure which is worse.

scalleywag on August 5, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The media is complicit with the tyrannical take over of our government.

When did the USA turn into Iran?

BPD on August 5, 2009 at 11:23 AM

“Corporate interests”….oh…you mean like Uncle Sugar’s GM, Chrysler, AIG, BoA, and Citi. You libs are right smart folks.

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Babs: “It’s to hurt our president and it’s to change the Congress.”

Yes we can!

Loxodonta on August 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I’ve been wondering something for years; maybe someone can finally answer this question: does it really hurt to be this stupid? I know the rest of us suffer in the presence of idiots, but does the idiot suffer as well?

Vic on August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

No, much like the drunk in a car craah, the stupid person feels no pain from their stupidity. At least until she’s sitting at home reading Want Ads wondering what went so terribly wrong…

BTW, I hope no one is wearing Blue Jeans to these things. George Will would not approve.

DrAllecon on August 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

We aren’t denying you are an ignoramous.

daesleeper on August 5, 2009 at 11:25 AM

She is sooo clueless.

becki51758 on August 5, 2009 at 11:26 AM

these are the official talking points. Gibby called them Brooks Brothers protesters too, See MM column today…

ginaswo on August 5, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, defining San Francisco Values since 1979™.

OmahaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Dire Straits on August 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Call me crazy but I think Al Franken might be smarter then this Ma’am already.

FontanaConservative on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

These Tea Partiers need to get with the game. Giant ghey puppet heads are the accepted attire, not Brooks Brothers.

Cuffy Meigs on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Mr. Harry Alford was very well dressed.

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

see if they all had on SEIU purple shirts it would be okay

I suggest we wear SEIU shorts to the next rally, this way they will let us in….

ginaswo on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

DrAllecon on August 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Mom Jeans OK?

fogw on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

The patients are running the phsyc ward…

Hog Wild on August 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

The libs suffer from the same defect that all defeated armies suffered with. They believe the enemy must react the way they are expected to react.

Limerick on August 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

C’mon everyone, now–tighten up your ties, buff up your shoes, get your jacket on and head back to the bus. The next townhall is in 45 mins and we have to stick to schedule.

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

So I take it that well-dressed American’s don’t count as full citiezens.

Hmmm…where have I seen that before…

bluelightbrigade on August 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Yes. We are denying that “corporate interests” are “organizing” “the” protests. Name the “corporation” “organizing” them and “funding” them, and name the recipients of the “checks.”

Organizing protests online and making sure people know about townhall meetings and other happenings, based on easily accessible congresscreature schedules posted publicly, has nothing to do with “corporate interests.” I know that real grassroots organizing looks unfamiliar to those used to top-down, Soros/union-funded, mass-produced, astroturfed, Democrat protests for causes X, Y and Z, so we’re showing you what real grassroots protesting looks like.

This is what democracy looks like. Remember that?

Good Lt on August 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM

BTW, evil health insurance companies: I’m still waiting for my check!

AZCoyote on August 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM

H*ll, I’m still waiting for that check and I work for the frigging evil health insurance company.
It’s good that I supplement my income with my evil Zionist checks.

mjk on August 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Ladies and Gents,

..diving into this thread cold, so I disclaim any charges of co-opting opinions. This attitude that Boxer is expressing — the epitome of the DNC Meltdown (elsewhere on H.A.) — is insight into how truly clueless the left is. They are mis-judging this anger by a country mile and will pay dearly for their naivete in upcoming elections.

Trust me, you want to see this blame-and-spin continue. I mean, we’re talking GOP 2006/2008 times 10 here.

..and I did NOT think it possible.

VoyskaPVO on August 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM

That’s right Barbara, you keep thinking that. The only problem is that these organized folks vote. At least for now.

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I wish there was a bus to all the meetings. I would be on it. That is if my boss would let me out of here. I guess the problem is most conservatives have jobs and cannot be out protesting all day.

TXMomof3 on August 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Ok, which of you guys stole my cummerbund? Come on, this isn’t funny.

LibTired on August 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM

She still associates the stinky hippie image with protesters

Why don’t we all wear tye-dye t-shirts to or representatives office.

Tye-Dye Tea party

Burgher on August 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Anybody hear back from the Government Snitch people, yet?

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I was paid by the new GOP group SQUIRREL to agitate at a town hall.

/ we eat acorns

faraway on August 5, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Did she just offend her own base? If I was a well-heeled dem in N. Calif. who donated to her campaign, I may very well put my Manolo Blahniks on, get in my Bentley and run a check over to Carly Fiorini.

sherry on August 5, 2009 at 11:31 AM

My Fedora! My fedora is missing.

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I suppose it never occurred to Senator Boxer that people might dress well for a meeting with their Congressman out of respect for the office and the occasion, perhaps feeling that they will have a better chance of being asked to speak if they are well dressed. I myself would never show up to a townhall meeting wearing shorts and a T-shirt and flip-flops, even if I knew my Congressman was a card-carrying Communist. It’s how I was raised. I guess leftists do not understand this concept of “showing respect” and simply assume that anyone in a coat and tie is a paid corporate shill.

This woman beclowns herself more and more every time she opens her mouth.

rockmom on August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Yes. However, there is overwhelming evidence that the North Korean and Iranian governments bankrolled your precious anti-war protests, douchenozzle.

PimFortuynsGhost on August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Why doesn’t she just come out and admit it. She wants to Lewinski “O” Dumbo!!!!!

Rick007 on August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

What a shame she is a woman in power….nice hair growing on an empty skull.
poppieseeds on August 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Noticed you omitted panties from your appropriate protest attire list. How do you know Boxer’s ppl so well? You got ‘em down cold!

TXUS on August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I think she was just trying to cater to the lowlifes. But wait, we are the lowlifes!

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

The reason decently-dressed conservatives never show up to protest is that we’re busy working, unlike the Left’s welfare-base, bussed in agitators.

So, yes, it must be surprising to the Dems when we finally get so pissed off that we take time off from work to turn out and express our views.

guntotinglibertarian on August 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM

So I take it that well-dressed American’s don’t count as full citiezens.

Hmmm…where have I seen that before…

bluelightbrigade on August 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Are we 3/5ths?

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Orange,

Is a flash mob organized by the Verizon support teams or is it organized by the first caller, and then every caller afterward?

Consider this a Conservative flash mob

Burgher on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

boxers for Boxers. LOL.

From Harry Reid not liking our stink to Boxer wanting us to show up at townhalls in our boxers. They just don’t want to see us at all. Voter,the Invisible Man.

Or do they want us to dress down so that it is easier for the police to arrest us?

journeyintothewhirlwind on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Actually, maybe the dissenters came straight from W-O-R_K. There’s a concept.

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

And who gives a shit? Bad policy affects ALL of us.

And ObamaCare is is a POS policy put out by the POS-OTUS and the POS-Congress led by Democraps.

Now STFU, you ACORN-funded buffoon.

bluelightbrigade on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

The Left went nutzo (even more so) over Sarah Palin’s “expensive” wardrobe. These people have a wardrobe fetish.

SouthernGent on August 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I’ve come to the conclusion that the left in Washington are completely and utterly insane. I’ve tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there’s no denying they’re freakin’ nuts.

BacaDog on August 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Are we 3/5ths?

ted c on August 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM

According to Boxer…YES.

bluelightbrigade on August 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I was a counter-protester at a obamacare “rally” held by Jan Schakowsky(Parasite-Chicago) yesterday. It was held at Federal Plaza in the Loop
I was wearing jeans and a tee and from there it ran the gamut from teenagers dressed like teenagers to business people walking to their trains who decided to stop and join us.
Babs is a frakin’ elitist!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

How on earth do people as stupid as Boxer manage to have “successful” political careers? There are lots and lots of really, obviously stupid people in Congress.

I’ve often wondered about this, because being elected to Congress is no small feat. You have to raise lots of money, put together an organization, overcome a lot of resistance.

What is it about the “business” of politics that allows a person who in any other field would be a miserable failure to rise to prominence?

Anyone?

guntotinglibertarian on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

She’s channeling Dirty Harry, I think.

mojo on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

By By Boxer… See ya in the funny papers….

CynicalOptimist on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

You’re just projecting cuz every protest against Bush was organized by some professional grievance organization. You can’t conceive of the idea of individuals coming together against something without cattle prods.

And, really, that speaks to more about you than anything else.

lorien1973 on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

You’d think Boxer had never been at a Town Hall meeting with educated working people before.

taznar on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

So, if these people looked like hippies then they’d be taken seriously? Makes no sense. Hippies are usually poor and don’t pay any taxes anyway, so why would they protest high taxes that would give them free stuff? People who make money usually wear decent clothes and would naturally protest higer taxes. Especially for programs they don’t believe in.
My brother, along with the entire media, said that the GOP is screwed and there’s nothing they can do to get back in power. I said that they don’t have to do anything except let the democrats screw things up. It happens all the time. ’94, ’06 and soon to be ’10.
The arrogance of these politicians who think that people who oppose them are crackpots is astonishing. Vote these people out! You work for us, jerks! Don’t tell me you don’t have time to read bills. I wish I could tell my customers that I don’t have time to do what they want so I’m going to give them what I want whether they like it or not.
This isn’t solely Obama, it’s all the Congress and Senate. Vote them all out!

76United on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Weather permitting, I drive a motorcycle everywhere I go. Let me tell you, when I got Cheney’s directive to attend my state’s latest townhall event, I knew I was going to get shiite for wearing a tuxedo and top hat while riding my Harley.

Bishop on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Religious_Zealot on August 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

If the liberals get their people to the protests (doubtful) – they we will see violence I think. At this point – if I saw a liberal coming at me with a stick I’d be all to happy to pick up my own stick.

Here’s what we’ve got …

The Supreme Leader of Iran telling his people that the protests are sponsored by Americans.

and …

Obama telling his people that the protests are sponsored by the insurance companies.

Too much similarity there for my tastes. Both regimes have their heads in the sand – and will end up paying for it.

HondaV65 on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Just when I think I can’t despise the Left anymore, they manage to prove me wrong yet again.

Seriously, it’s become an almost daily thing now since The One took office. They were always a pain in the ass but now they’re just insufferable.

Yakko77 on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

BOxers for Boxer. Send your boxers to Barbara with the following message:

KEEP YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF OUR SILKY DRAWERS.

Send to : Madam Barbara Boxer

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I have to admit how amusing the Libs are in their decline… To have it all and still lash out at well dressed concerned citizens. Boxer and MSNBC, Thank you!

mjbrooks3 on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Yes, I am denying it.

If you have proof to the contrary then please provide the specifics.

Otherwise you can just sit there and spin in place while being the poster child for the ignorant talking point you resemble.

When was the last time you had an observation that wasn’t fed to you by a Democratic shill?

Yoop on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Anyone?

guntotinglibertarian on August 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Daddy’s money?

TXMomof3 on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Actually, maybe the dissenters came straight from W-O-R_K. There’s a concept.

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Well, we’re not allowed to have an opinion because we’re all you know, responsible and adult and stuff. We need to work and let our moral betters (i.e. “orange”) make the big decisions. Even if they don’t know what the f*CK they’re talking about.

mjk on August 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

PICS?

bloggless on August 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

She’s playing to her base and inciting class hatreds, anybody who isn’t a taxpayer and loves the underground.

Speakup on August 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

My husband has a few nice Brooks Brothers shirts that he wears occasionally. In fact, I’m pretty sure he wore one when we were at a tea party event. So yes, he’s one of those well-dressed protesters, but not because we’re rich (we’re far from it!) – but because there’s a nice outlet store near my mom’s where we can afford a nice shirt as a Christmas present.

There is nothing wrong with spending a little bit of money to look presentable, and I’d rather wear a suit/tie or a nice dress to a public event than ratty jeans and a holey t-shirt. Appearance matters, at least to adults.

Anna on August 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Btw-We keep getting asked if the insurance companies paid for us to be out there-to which we responded that if the insurance companies were paying us-then we could conclude that the unions and acorn were paying them.
*sorry for the run-on*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

orange on August 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I’m denying it – I’m an organizer – I’m average joe blow and don’t know anyone in corporate america.

Get real … you’re a “Mobber” …

I can tell you those are REAL people in those protests. I know you think they are some kind of Japanese built android lifeforms that are being rented by the insurance companies – but I can assure you – those people are real humans. yesssir.

HondaV65 on August 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM